The Adventure of Jamie Potter (6)

Printer-friendly version

Once the shockwaves from Linda’s little outburst settled down. Lily reached over and took me by the hand and guided me toward the bathroom. While the other cheerleaders scattered, each one having last minute chores that needed be done before the big show. Her hand wrapped around mine, she pulled me into the staff bathroom. She handed me the gym bag, I blinked and unzipped the bag and there in the bag was the old cheerleading uniform I first wore.

“it’s a vintage uniform. Around two thousand and eight, our uniform was updated. But the school still has dozens laying around. I think this style was last worn in nineteen ninety-nine or something. So its vintage enough to look cute and old enough not to rattle any feathers. Plus, you’re an honoree cheerleader. If I had the time, I’d taught you some basic cheers.” Lily said smiling.

I turned around and smirked.

“Oh like this?” I said taking a deep breath as stepped clear of the sink, the stale and the trash can. Once I was given enough space. I then smiled and started to clap my hands in rhythm. Once the rhythm was flowing through me I took a deep breath and in a booming tone of voice chanted.

“One! Two! Three! Go Benton Raiders! Go! Crush the Mavericks into the ground!” I said moving my arms and legs in the same fashion I’ve seen my sister do a thousand and one times.

Lily looked impressed and made a motion for me to go on.

“One! Two! Three! We are the Raiders! We're here to win! So Fight! Fight! Fight! Benton Raiders!” I chanted again smiling as I once more mimicked the movements that went along with the cheer. My sister now seems thoroughly impressed as she nodded her head.

“Okay! Perfect! Do that cheer at the sidelines.” She said giving me a thump up. She turned around and then gave me a look. “But one question. How did you learn those cheers?” She asked as she turned to leave. No doubt to give me some privacy to change in peace and to guard the door.

“I’ve been watching you cheer for like.. Years now. I was abounded to pick up something.” I said smiling.

“Cheerleading runs in the blood. Mom was a cheerleader, she trained me, I know she trained you a little to help me with the cheers that require some help. Like that the reason your so bendy and you do play Rogues in your dice games. So I guess being bendy helps Rogues.” She shrugged her shoulders. “Anyway give me a yell when you’ve changed.”

And so I changed into the uniform. Once I was changed I pushed the door open and there before I stood the whole squad. Joan was the first one to speak, she looked me up and down and smiled. Her smile made me feel better as she reached down and took me by the hand. She guided me down the hallway till we came to an old room. I’ve passed the room at least a dozen or so times. The door had always struck me as another door in a long hallway of doors.

“Welcome.” Another cheerleader said as she stood by the door and placed her hand upon it.

“To the first day, of your new life!” Lily said grinning as she stood by the other side of the door and placed her hands upon it. Smiling together they both pushed upon the door and the door swung open. Once the door was pushed open, racks upon racks of formal gowns and dresses appeared. The gowns wherein all shapes and sizes and colors. Two full racks of them! It the back one that caught my eye, it was a long, formal gown, a coral pink gown that sparkled like a million stars in the light of the room. From the minute I laid eyes on the dress, I knew that was the one. Quickly I pointed to it.

“Found something you like?” Lily said peering toward me, she wore a smile that reached from the corner of her mouth to the other.

“I think she found the perfect dress,” Joan said folding her arms across her chest and giving me a little smile.

“Yep, she found the perfect dress. One she just must have.” The cheerleader paused and took a deep breath. “Or else her little heart will be broken and the whole date would be ruined and her social life would be over before its just begun.”

“Mindy, that insane,” Joan said rolling her eyes. “I doubt Jamie will become a drama queen. Then again, she Lily little sister. And Lily the biggest drama queen the school’s ever seen. Has been since the first grade.”

“Sis,” I said taking a deep breath as I peered toward the dress. “Can I please have this one?” As I waited for her to respond, I walked over and picked up the hanger the dress was hanging from. Taking a deep breath, I held the dress up to my body with one hand and pressed it to my figure with the other. My cheeks turned a bright pink as I noticed the gown seemed to fit me like a glove. It was like I was destined to have it.

Lily bit down on her lips and reached down into the pocket of her skirt and pulled out her phone. She then raised the phone and took a quick snapshot of me holding the dress. She then pressed a few buttons, a few seconds later the phone made a loud buzzing noise. A few more buttons where pressed. And finally, after the longest minute and a half of my life, she looked up and smiled.

“Mom approves of the dress. I sent her a text about the date since it's your first formal dance. She extending your bedtime by two and a half hours. Meaning, at the stroke of midnight you must be back home, getting ready for bed.”

“That cool. Its almost like you know a Disney movie. The shy geek girl meets a wishing granting fairy, is given a chance to shine. But has to leave by a certain time or less the magic will fade.” Joan said smiling. “Would totally make a good movie.”

“It would. Lily said taking a deep breath as she peered toward me.” She then turned toward Joan and said in a matter of fact tone of voice. “And in Jamie case, if she stays out past midnight. She going to get grounded and maybe go over Daddy's knee too. That includes her big sister!” She said with a roll of her eyes.

“Ouch! Still going over daddy knee I see?” Joan said blushing as she walked behind me and reached down and started to playfully rub my arms. “In that case, we gotta make sure our little princess is all prime and proper. The dance starts at eight and ends at one. So that leaves just enough time..”

“Yes, the princess needs her beauty rest too. Otherwise, she going to be all cranky and whiney for the rest of the day. And trust me, that one headache I can do without.” Lily said rolling her eyes.

Everybody laughed at that and I felt my cheeks flush with color as I peered toward my sister.

Lily returned my stare with one of her own, then in a playful tone of voice, she pressed her attack. All the other cheerleaders at this point had gathered around and were lapping at Lily’s words like kittens lapping at there milk saucers.

“I mean, she can be cute too! Don’t get me wrong there. But man she can fussy too. And if you poke her during her game sessions, she gets all huffy and puffy too. But, as I said, she can be cute too. Like this one time, we where folding sheets and towels for mom. And all she could talk about was who she was going to marry in this video game. Its one of those slice of life things. I think your objective is to restore an old farm and befriend a lot of people so they can open up shops in this town.”

All the cheerleaders started to giggle and smirk. While I could just sit there and pout and blush! Lily who no doubt noticed me blushing and pouting, simply ignored me and pressed on with her story.

“As I said, it was cute. Cause you know she was still in her tomboy phase and all. Girls she was all gushing about being a beautiful bride and stuff. I think in the game, she finally married the towns doctor?” She paused. “Am I right?”

“OH!” All the cheerleaders as they broke into a chore of giggles. “So Jamie married for money!”

And after that, they all started to tickle me and soon we where all giggling and laughing together. I must say, though there teasing made me blush. It also made me feel good. There nothing like playful ribbing to make one feel at home.

“Okay!” Lily called out in a loud booming tone of voice once the giggling and laughing was dying down. All eyes turned toward her.

“We have four hours before kickoff. Where down a girl and the Manchester team will be arriving shortly. We need to find somebody ASAP to replace Linda and get ready to greet the cheerleaders. So, let's get into business mode girls!” She clapped her hands and all the girls nodded there heads.

And another episode ends.

up
209 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cute

My5InchFMHeels's picture

This chapter was just a smiling chapter, from start to finish.

Not fair!

laika's picture

I wanted to lead with "CUTE". Because it was...

In a comment to an early chapter I said Jamie was more of a boy than Madeline.
Shows what I knew. She's a total girly-girl, now that she's leaving her "tomboy" phase!
~hugs, Veronica

Decision

It looks like she made her decision but that’s gonna blow up since they go to a religious school.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Whose tying up Linda?

Jamie Lee's picture

Setting up Jamie for the dance, and choosing that dress speaks louder about Jamie's true nature than if he said anything. And when Lily and the girls get finished getting "her" dressed for "her" blind date for the dance, Jamie will no longer be the outcast boy whose made it a point to stay hidden in the background. Jamie will be the eye catcher new girl in school, in a good and Linda attack way.

They have a rally before the game, so how will they keep Linda from spoiling it all for everyone in school? Or for that matter, keep the school staff from spoiling things?

Others have feelings too.