Solomon's Test part 1

Printer-friendly version

Solomon’s Test

Prologue

In a place that is not quite of our world two figures meet, and one begins to speak.

“Well, where have you been and what have you been up to?”

“Been here and there, poking around.”

“So what is it this time?”

“Been thinking. Once we did a wager that if you took everything away from a man, he’d be useless.”

“You lost that wager.”

“Well, regardless, I was thinking what about the reverse? What if you took an ordinary person, and gave them a gift, something more than anyone has ever had? I bet there’s no way they would not become arrogant, and abuse it.”

“I’ll pick the person, though.”

“Fine.”

******

Chapter 1 - Field trip

Disaster walked in the classroom door.

Disaster, at least as far as Michael Solomon was concerned, was the new vice principal of the school where he taught science. The woman seemed to have a serious problem with him, and as far as Michael could tell, he’d done nothing to deserve it.

“I have a assignment for you. There is a new particle accelerator opening up just out of town, and they’re offering us a chance to take a class through on a tour.”

“Why me Margaret?”

“Because you’re the science teacher. And call me Ms. Hollander”

“Fine, Ms. Hollander. Am I going to get any help?”

“You should be fine alone. Its only one class, Room 7.”

“And you’re letting me go alone? Give me some help!”

“Fine. Miss Anders can help you.”

“You’re really going to do this? Those kids will eat her alive.”

“Now, now. Just because they’re ... challenged, doesnt mean they would be anything less than wonderful.”

Michael sighed. “I dont have a choice, do I?”

“Not if you wish to keep your position, no.”

“Fine. When do we go?”

“This Friday. “ She said, “And dont look so down, I’m sure you both will have a good time.” She said, and blew out of the room.

Poor Samantha Anders, to be stuck with him and a bunch of “challenged” kids, he thought. He shook his head. Nothing he could do but weather the storm, he supposed.

After school was over, He went to find Samantha, and found her stressing in the staff lounge.

“I take it you heard.” He said.

“Yeah. What is her damage? Of all the classes to send on a field trip, why that one?”

“I’ve never actually worked it, but I’ve heard stories. Is it really bad?”

“Alan Walters who normally does the class says it's not bad when he’s there, but every substitute teacher they’ve sent in has come out swearing to not work the room again.”

“Where is he going to be while we’re on this field trip? “

“Dentist appointment. “

“Dam.”

“No kidding. It’d be a breeze if he was there, they really respect him but they test anybody else.”

“Well, here is hoping this is one test we pass.”

Time passed, as it always does, and before Michael knew it, the day of the field trip had come.

He went to Room 7 to pick up the students, and found Samantha Anders already there, and with her a surprize - Alan Walters himself.

“I thought you had a dentist appointment?”

“Got it pushed back till Monday. I took a super pain reliever, so I’m fine.”

“Did you tell Ms. Hollander?”

“Not until the bus was on its way, so she couldnt reschedule.”

“I bet she’s not happy to have her little plan spoiled.”

“Let her fume. I wasnt going to let my students be part of her games.”

“Well, let’s get them going then.”

Thanks to having Alan along, the trip to the accelerator went pretty smoothly. Alan handled the class like a master juggler, seeming to know by instinct which students would act up when. They got to the accelerator, and met their guide, who turned out to be a woman named Lorraine Locker.

“Come this way. You’ll be able to be actually inside the accelerator. Of course, it’s not on at the moment, but you’ll be able to travel the very path the particles will when the machine is on.”

The class actually seemed kind of impressed by this, and we made our way inside.

Things went to hell about half-way through the tour.

Lights and sirens went on, and Loraine shouted, “The machine is starting up! We have to get out of here, now!”

The teachers moved the kids as quickly as possible to the emergency exit, and Michael lagged behind, and then things got worse.

Just as the last kid was climbing up the short stairs to get out the exit, Michael went down in a heap, screaming.

Samantha shouted his name, but he called out, “Go!” and got up, limping toward the emergency exit.

She waited at the door, but he said again, “Go!” and weeping, she closed the door.

A second later he surrounded by light, and then his world went dark.

End of Chapter 1

******

Solomon’s Test Chapter 2 - A Rude Awakening.

Michael groaned, and opened his eyes.

He tried to wipe the sleep out of them, and discovered he was restrained.

“What the hell?” Is what he wanted to say, but it came out as “Whaagh?” and then he coughed.

Someone came toward him, and as his eyes cleared, he could tell it was a nurse.

“Wha ...”

“Its okay. Here is a little water dear.”

He took a long sip, and then said, “What happened?”

“Just relax for a bit dear. The doctor will see you soon.”

Michael laid back, and tried to rest. Eventually, the doctor came, took his vital signs, and released him from the restraints, saying “how does it feel to be something totally impossible?”

‘Im ... Impossible?”

“I’m assured by the scientists who run the collider that a person inside should be reduced to atoms. And yet you only have minor injuries.”

“Wow. Does that mean I can go home soon?”

“You will be physically ready to go home soon. However....”

“However?”

“We would like to figure out how you survived.”

“That sounds like it could take a while. Any chance we could do it on an outpatient basis?”

“Perhaps.”

Michael's face fell.

“We’ll try to make your stay as short as possible, is that fair?”

“I’d appreciate that. Its not that I’m not grateful for hospitals, but I wouldnt want to have to live in one.”

With that, the doctor left.

Michael grabbed a remote and turned on the tv, and a few moments later Loraine Locker and Samantha Anders came in.

“Hi. You up to having visitors?” Samantha said.

“Beats sitting here watching bad television.”

Sam gave Michael a hug, and sat on the bed beside him while Lorianne stood a little distance away in a very military “at ease” pose.

“How are you feeling?” Sam asked.

“Not bad considering I shouldn’t be alive.”

“They told you that?”

“Yeah. How are the kids?”

“Fine.”

The conversation petered out, and Sam stood there awkwardly for a few moments, then she gave Michael another hug, and left the room.

He sighed, and looked at Loraine and said, “So, you want to talk to me?”

“I do, but I’m not sure how to say this.”

“Be straightforward, I get the feeling that suits you best.”

“What happened was not an accident.”

“Someone did this ... on purpose?”

“I’m afraid so. We received chatter from a radical environmental group about causing problems at the plant to prevent it being put into operation. The chatter indicated they hoped for casualties”

“Been nice to know that before you let a bunch of kids come for a tour.”

“We messed up. But we’ve got leads on the group, and that’s the other news.”

“I gather it’s not good news.”

One of the members of the group was in the control room, and we have fingerprints. We know who was the one who pulled the trigger.”

“Who?”

“Colby Duke.”

“I... I knew a Colby Duke in college. In fact we roomed together.””

“We learned that doing a background check on him. When’s the last time you spoke to him?”

“Not since we parted ways in college. We were ... too different to make good roomies.”

“Did he ever mention a group called Gaia speaks?”

“He was starting to get into environmentalism, I kinda thought he was going overboard. But I dont recall the name.”

“That’s the group we’re looking at. And right now, he’s our only lead.”

“Well, I hope you catch him. I mean, we didnt part friends, but trying to kill me? Not to mention the kids and Sam and you?”

“That’s what it looks like. Can you tell me anything more about him?”

“I... I dont know. It’s been years.”

“I understand. But anything you recall, even something small could help us find him. I’ll leave a card at the desk, if you think of anything, call me.”

“I will.”

She nodded, and walked out.

Michael laid back down in the bed, and remembered Colby, as he was before he went a little gaga and started shouting about humans raping the earth.

Eventually, he cried himself to sleep.

****

End of Chapter 2

End of Part 1

up
205 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Quick off the blocks and...

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to the next part.
Thanks
Samantha

wont have to wait long

couple of days between parts sounds right.

DogSig.png

too long

How about half a day between posts? I've never been good at waiting for a treat.

Too coincidental

My5InchFMHeels's picture

That Colby started it up with Michael inside seems a bit too coincidental to me.... like Ms. Hollander knew who would be guiding the trip.

Either way, you'll get some retention... I wanna see where this goes! Liking it so far.

coincidence?

with cosmic beings betting on the outcome? I suspect not ...

DogSig.png

An excellant start!

Another storyline for me to follow. You have a good starting point and it's gonna be fun, I think, to see where you take this tale. I like it!

Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

thanks, Catherine

I hope you enjoy the rest of the story!

DogSig.png

The Gods are obviously

The Gods are obviously judging humans by their own actions in using their powers to amuse themselves at someone else's expense

Reader Retention Story Contest

WillowD's picture

You have me hooked, at least if I remember and recognize the title. Mind you, the "DorothyColeen" part will probably catch my eye.

What were the two injuries

...and do they play a role in what's to come? There are a series of unknowns: Like what Lorraine's attitude about? Did she know of the threat and let the group go anyway? What's this company doing with a collider? If I were Michael, Alexander, Samantha or one of the parents; I would rightfully be angry.
I hope Solomon has the wisdom to meet this challenge. His former roommate seemingly didn't get over their differences. ^_^
You have my attention.

Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

just wait and see

hpoefully, you will like where this goes

DogSig.png

Intrigued

I need more to know whether you will get retention from me.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Only one point to argue...

In the second last sentence the word ‘gaga’ needs replacement with the word ‘sane’.

you're probably right

but our protagonist isnt quite as enlightened ...

DogSig.png

I am playing catch up

again, I get behind on my reading and lose focus, Odd since Dot is on my must read list.

How did he survive?

Jamie Lee's picture

Becoming the first human to become all particles, but not travel to another location, is not good, unless it was planned by the person who threatened him with his job, Ms. Hollander.

Or, was it the Gods who started all of this and put Michael in this situation? Being coy is sometimes a good thing, but is it the right thing to do when a person wakes up in hospital? Michael needs to know what happened to him so he can figure out what to do next, or not do next.

Others have feelings too.

how did he survive?

maybe someone was looking out for him ,,,

DogSig.png