Jamie Part I - "The Haircut"

Printer-friendly version

It's been a while, had the itch, decided it was time to post something. Hope you enjoy it. More to come soon.
-J

I was sitting in the chair facing away from the mirror, my sister, Olivia, had been working on my hair for a little over an hour. She was trimming, and dyeing, and doing all these things and kept insisting “trust me.”
Finally it was the big reveal – she spun me around and what the hell had Olivia done.
“What the hell, Olivia?” I exclaimed, probably a little too loudly.
“It’s fine, Jamie, I always liked playing with your hair, it’ll grow back.”
“I look like a damn girl and you dyed it blonde!” I griped.
“That was kind of the idea,” Olivia responded. “It’s a long bob, or a lob, I wanted to try it out and your hair and face are perfect for it.”
“What am I supposed to do now? I have to go to the store after this.”
“Let me put a little makeup on you.”
“What? No way!”
“Seriously, Jamie, it’s not a big deal. You’ll look super cute and no one would ever think you’re a guy.”
“Thanks.”
“You know what I mean, you’ve always had a long hair and you’re not the biggest guy; and not to sound clichéd or anything, but you can’t grow a beard to save your life.”
I just frowned.
“Alright, just a little bit.”
Olivia grabbed her makeup bag and went to work on my face.

An hour later, I was at Shop-A-Lot, this big store that has everything, standing in the DVD section. I picked up a DVD and set it back down and noticed a guy was looking at me. He walked over and picked up the DVD I was looking at.
“Have you ever seen Monty Python?” he asked.
“Nope,” I responded quickly and started to walk away.
“Well, maybe we can watch it together sometime,” he said.
I stopped dead in my tracks, because this guy was asking me out.
“Ha, maybe,” was all I could muster.
“My name is Pete,” he said.
“Jamie.”
“Nice to meet you,” he said. “So, I- I’m not really sure how to do this, it’s been so long, but I saw you and I thought you were gorgeous. I had to come over and talk to you, plus you were looking at a copy of one of my favorite movies.”
“Well, thanks,” I blushed, I think.
“Do you think you’d like to go out to dinner with me?” he asked.
“Uh, I…” I stammered; then my brain exploded and it went into auto-pilot without my knowledge. “Sure, why not.”
Pete beamed and quickly pulled his phone out of his pocket, “Let me get your number and I text you later.”
I nodded, coolly, and gave him my number, my actual number.
When I got home, Olivia was already home and I already had three text messages from Pete.
“Olivia! I am going to kill you!”
Olivia came out of the kitchen with a microwave dinner and a glass of chardonnay – her usual – and cocked her head.
“What’s the matter?” she asked.
“I got asked out on a date!”
“Ha, who cares, you’ll be back to you after you take a shower, you’ll just have to figure something out with your hair, style it differently, it’s a little girly even without the product.”
“I said yes,” I mumbled.
Olivia laughed and nearly dropped her food.
“Oh my god, why?”
“I don’t know, I felt bad for the guy, he was nice,” I said. “He said I was gorgeous.”
Olivia laughed hard; again. “Well, Jamie, not going to lie, you’re pretty hot and you’re wearing those tight jeans and one of my hoodies, so you’re dressed essentially like a twenty-something girl.”
“Jesus Christ, Livy, what am I going to do?”
“Get dolled up and go on a date with a guy,” she said. “Or you can embarrass him and text him that you’re a guy.”
I gritted my teeth. “I can’t.”
“Then let’s go find you something cute to wear, shall we?”

An hour later, after shaving my legs and underarms, I’m standing in front of a full length mirror wearing a green dress. My hair, my sister had done something – pulled it up in back so that it has pieces framing my face.
I looked so much like a girl it was scary.
“God, you’re prettier than me,” Olivia said.

Pete came to pick me up at eight and we thoroughly avoided my nosy sister, despite her lurking around the corner in the kitchen.
“You look great,” Pete said.
“Thanks. So do you.”
I then decided by the end of this “date” I was going to tell Pete that I’m a guy and that this was wrong of me to do, but I didn’t want to embarrass him. I hoped that he’d understand and not try to kill me.

To be honest, Pete was really great company, aside from him complimenting me all the time and telling me how pretty I was. He told me he was a Silicon Valley guy who made an application about something that made him a lot of money and now he consults for other companies. I tuned out when he started talking about the other companies and the applications. When dinner was done, Pete had paid, and as we walked out he had linked his hand with mine. I felt something then that I didn’t think I’d feel, a tingling maybe. We went out to his car, he opened the door for me, and I climbed inside.

We pulled up in front of the house that my sister and I shared, and he put the car in park.
“Listen Jamie, I’m not used to all this, I haven’t been on a real date in a long time. I think you’re beautiful and funny and I’d like to see you again,” he said.
“Pete, there’s something-“ I unbuckled and turned in my seat to face him, Pete was already there and he had put his hand on my face.
“Can I kiss you?” he asked.
“I…” I didn’t respond, but he did so anyway.
We kissed for a moment, our tongues colliding in a haphazard fashion showing that neither of us had done it in a while. Finally, I put my hands against his chest and pushed him softly away.
“Listen, Pete, I have to tell you something before this gets out of hand,” I said. “I’m a guy.”
Pete smiled. “I’m not an idiot, Jamie. I know you’re a guy, but damned if you’re not the prettiest guy I’ve ever seen.”
“You knew I was a guy and you still kissed me!”
“I wanted to kiss you the day I met you and I knew you were a guy there, though, I’m sure no one else could tell,” he said. “It’s just subtle mannerisms you have.”
“I’m not gay, Pete,” I said.
“Either am I, but I had a really nice night tonight, and I’d like to see you again.”
“I don’t know, is that okay?”
“Sure,” Pete was disappointed; I could see it on his face.
“I should go,” I said.

I started to get out of the car, but something stopped me. I turned back to Pete and kissed him hard on the mouth. It was a kiss that we would both remember if it never happened again.

I quickly got out of the car and walked briskly up the walk to the front door. Once inside, I did that whole cliché thing where I leaned against the door and really thought about things for a minute.

To be continued…

up
183 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cute

Can't wait to see where you take this, is Jamie in over her head ? go with the flow Jamie and have fun

This was fun.

crash's picture

This was a fun start. I hope you find time to pick it back up.

Your friend
Crash