Doorway to Amaru Meru Part 4

Printer-friendly version

Doorway to Amaru Meru

Part 4 of 8

Amaru.jpg

I was beyond frightened. The beast that had leapt towards me over the fire was one I was positive could have easily shredded me into tiny bits. Now, as the dragon’s head passed unharmed through the flames of my fire, I knew no amount of magic could harm this creature. I was doomed.

There was no use running, and no use fighting. I stood as tall as I could and hoped my fear didn’t show. The dragon moved its head within inches of me. One snap of the massive jaws would sever me two. One blast of fire and I would be no more than ash.

I willed my magic quiet as I stood my ground. I sensed his great age, wisdom, and intellect. “I know you could end my life if you chose to do so. I’m not your enemy and I won’t try to harm you.”

The dragon inhaled deeply causing my hair to whip towards him as if a small gale had suddenly come up behind me. I waited for a blast of fire that never came. I reached out with my hand and touched the side of his golden-scaled cheek.

Sparks sizzled between us at my touch and I felt the dragon flinch. I felt his magic and it was powerful. It wasn’t the same kind of magic as my own.

“I am Beor.”

The voice sounded clearly in my head and I responded in kind.

“I’m Aila.”

The dragon shifted so that a single eye could focus on mine.

“No dragon has ever bound themselves to a human before. Dragons are the physical manifestations of magic, but the world of Amaru Meru is on a precipice.”

“Why do you speak with me, Beor, and what is this precipice?”

“You are the key, Aila. Your choices will determine the fate of the world, the fate of magic, and the fate of dragons.”

“Then would it not be best to kill me so that I couldn’t make the wrong decisions?”

“If I kill you then the world will end anyways for in the absence of a High Priestess, the human factions will go to war. The end of one faction will mean the end of everything, for balance must be kept.”

“Tell me what I must do to prevent this.”

“Had the quokka and you bonded as companions you would had fallen too far into dark magic to recover.”

“The beast that you stopped from attacking me? It was a dark magic beast? Is that what a quokka is?”

“Yes.”

“Why is it wrong for me to have too much dark magic?”

“As High Priestess, you have far greater magic than any other human. Too much light or dark magic will corrupt you and you already gathered far more dark magic than light during your coming of age. Dark magic attracts dark magic beasts and having such a beast for a companion would have vastly increased your dark magic and caused you to fall into darkness. Your gathering was not as it should have been.”

“I don’t understand. I thought both dark and light magic are needed. Creation and destruction.”

“You are correct, Aila, however darkness leads to evil and control.”

I almost turned away. Good and evil. Am I really having this conversation with a dragon?

“I thought evil was a construct that man has made.”

“No, Aila. Good and evil have always existed in all of us. It is not a construct, it is a reality. You know this. It was a part of creation.”

“Vikhold has been trying to get me to choose darkness. Why?”

“He who controls the High Priestess controls their destiny. If you fell into darkness, you and your power could be controlled by him or others.”

“What must I do?”

“As long as you live, you are bound to make choices. There is nothing you can do to avoid this. I will bind myself to you as your companion to protect you from binding yourself to a dark animal and falling into darkness.”

“If I were to bind myself to you, what will happen to me?”

“Your magic, both light and dark will grow in power. You will also gain dragon magic.”

“How do we bind ourselves?”

“Through blood.”

***

It was dawn by the time Beor and I completed our ceremony of binding ourselves by blood. It was both painful and exhilarating yet, when all was done, I knew it had been the right choice.

“Our magic is bound together, Aila. Our fates sealed.”

I reached my hand to rest it on the flank of the giant golden dragon as we stood side by side on the stone platform overlooking the river below. We were one and the same now. Not like lovers or friends, but something else. Companions that could never harm or separate themselves from the other.

“I can feel it, Beor. Thank you for keeping me from making a bad decision and descending into darkness.”

“Your Earthly mother would be proud of you.”

That Beor knew about my Earthly mother was part of the binding process. We had opened ourselves to the other and while he knew me, I also felt in touch with his ageless knowledge.

“I feel a need to meet the Twuilhe. I’ve been exposed to the Viangi for too long. Balance is needed.”

“I will take you wherever you like.”

“I’m not ready to face the Twuilhe just yet and need time to myself to contemplate all that has transpired. Can I get to the Twuilhe from the valley entrance?”

“Yes. Simply follow the river to the lake.”

***

It had felt natural climbing onto Beor’s neck and flying with him. What had taken hours of hiking and being in a boat before had only taken minutes and soon Beor had deposited me on the river bank and flown back off to join his kind.

I had thought I would feel bereft without his absence, but the binding, the connection we shared was tangible even though he wasn’t next to me. Now, as I looked towards the path that would lead me back towards the temple, I felt no fear for my magic had grown immeasurably.

Turning away from that path, I began following the river and I hadn’t travelled far when a man in a hooded cowl came out of the jungle to confront me. I was both pleased and slightly irritated when he removed his hood.

“Are you here to guide me back to Vikold, Asunru? I’m not going back to him. Not right away anyways.”

“I can see you’re upset with me and rightfully so.” Asunru looked towards the trail that headed back to the temple. “We have little time. Vikhold will arrive at any moment. I have a boat nearby that will take us quickly downriver and into Twuilhe lands.”

“I’ll leave with you on one condition. That you drop this mystery and secrecy and answer my questions truthfully.”

Asunru stared into my eyes and seemed to struggle with himself. He glanced at the flower that had miraculously stayed in my hair through the night and started to reach for it before pulling away. “I’ll answer everything, but you must be the one to gauge the truth. Quickly, we must hurry.”

He turned and slipped into the jungle and I followed him. We walked quickly and silently for nearly an hour before we came to a boat like the one at the river’s dock. This was slightly larger with two seats and once we were both on board, Asunru touched a marker and the boat pulled out into the main current and moved with the flow of the river.

I was still enthralled by my surroundings, but my focus was on Asunru and how his presence did something to me. He was confusing, confounding, and enticing.

“Before you start asking questions, High Priestess Aila, I think you should hear my story.”

“I’ll withhold my questions until you’re finished.”

“My name isn’t Asunru, but Sharian as you had suspected.”

My anger rose within me, but Sharian merely nodded and held up his hand.

“Please, let me explain everything. Before you were sent through the gate to Earth, I was your companion. Your parents were wise and good people and it is the tradition that the faction who births the new High Priestess becomes the temporary ruling faction with the parents of the High Priestess becoming the leaders of the Amaru Meru until the High Priestess fully ascends.”

“That’s not how it was explained to me but continue.”

Sharian frowned. “I’m sure you have been told exactly what Vikhold wanted you to hear. When you were almost two years old, close to five Earth years, Vikhold rebelled and led the Viangi to attack the Twuilhe. His goal was to take you from your parents and take the leadership of the Amaru Meru by force. Knowing that your life was in danger, your parents came to the Earth gate, placed a spell upon you to hide and protect you, and sent you through. That was eight of our years ago.”

“Again, this is different than what I was led to believe.”

“The spell changed your gender to a boy and erased your memories to assure your safety. Your magic would protect you and bring you back to us one day. It was likely your magic that allowed you to remember, to have dreams…”

“Why wouldn’t my parents accompany me? Why send me alone? This makes no sense.”

“Your parents had obligations as leaders of the people. Your mother was going to leave with you, but at the moment you were sent through the gate, Vikhold attacked. Your parents fought valiantly and held off Vikhold until the gate closed. Once the gate closed, Vikhold killed your parents and led an all-out attack against the Twuilhe.”

I opened my mouth and closed it not knowing what to say.

“For two years Vikhold attacked the Twuilhe. Tens of thousands of Twuilhe perished in the Great Culling. Finally, he realized he couldn’t defeat us all. I believe he found copies of the prophecies and changed tactics. There are twenty-one gates and the prophecies foretold you would return one day. Vikhold assumed you had been sent through the Earth gate but had ordered the Viangi to take possession of all the gates awaiting your return. By controlling you, he could ultimately eradicate the Twuilhe and rule everything.”

I knew the answer already, but I wanted to test Sharian’s truthfulness. “How could he control me?”

“By leading you into darkness.”

“Assuming your story is true, how do you fit into all of this? Why did you lie to me about who you were?”

“I’m a few years older than you. I knew of the plan to get you away from Amaru Meru but was ordered to stay back as I was too young. I was hidden away by the Twuilhe and in the years that followed, I studied. I discovered the prophecies a few years ago and after I came of age, I went to the Twuilhe leaders. I begged them to try to take back the gates so that we could be there for your arrival, but they feared Vikhold and more slaughter. Frustrated, I made my way to the Viangi and used my knowledge to infiltrate them. Vikhold believed I was a true historian and tested me over the years to prove my loyalty to him. Believing you to be returning soon, I tried to position myself to be there when you returned so that I could possibly counter Vikhold’s influence.”

“If the Twuilhe leaders refused to help you, why did you do this on your own?”

Sharian looked away and ignored my question. I decided to switch back to the other topic pressing on my mind.

“You didn’t answer my other question. Why did you lie to me?”

“When you told me about your dreams and you called me by my true name, I became fearful. I couldn’t help you if I was dead and if Vikhold found out my true identity, he would kill me for certain. I couldn’t risk staying and being exposed, so I chose to influence you from a distance while I tried once again to get support from the Twuilhe leaders.”

I stared into the jungle as it passed us by. “I saw you when I came of age…”

“I projected myself into the temple. Vikhold wished to direct only dark magic into you and I did my best to counter him by calling to you.”

“How can you do this as Onal?”

“Syette called me Onal and that is the story I gave them all. That I was of a lesser class. I’m actually a Master.”

My hand immediately went to the flower. “It was you all along then? You’ve sent me these flowers. You gave me one when I was young. Tayodh told me the significance of the flower.”

Sharian turned away. “I was promised to you. I…”

I could see his conflict and it touched me.

“When a High Priestess is born, Aila, a mate is chosen through a magical ritual. Sharian is bound to you much like I am, but at a different level. Love binds him to you. Do not underestimate the level of his sacrifice. Sharian speaks the truth.”

Beor’s words caught me off guard. I considered the dragon’s words carefully and felt the pull on my own heart. Had the tables been turned, what would I have done for Sharian?

“Your words ring true to me, Sharian. You went against the wishes of the Twuilhe leaders. You put yourself at risk for me.”

“I couldn’t do otherwise.”

“When you say that Vikhold tested you… What do you mean by that?”

Sharian looked away again and I reached for his cheek to turn his face back towards me.

“He hurt you, didn’t he?”

“It means nothing, High Priestess Aila.”

“It means everything.”

***

Sharian’s constant presence was a pressing distraction to me. As before at the temple, I felt drawn to him, but the more time I spent around him the more this connection grew. My mind struggled against my heart. I don’t know this man and yet I can’t live without him.

I hid this conflict throughout the day and even as we found a clearing to camp for the night, I could feel my heart winning the battle. I kept myself busy by using my magic to shield us and start a fire.

Sharian sat across the fire from me; his eyes never strayed. “When you went into the Valley of the Chosen, what happened?”

“Many dark creatures came to me. Each one was larger and more frightening than the last.” I tried to change the topic slightly. “What of you, Sharian? If you’re a Master, then you must have an animal companion.”

The bushes behind Sharian parted and a huge, white cat stepped forward, nuzzling his cheek against Sharian’s.

“She’s a dawon and they only companion themselves to Lioca.”

“What’s a Lioca?”

“Lioca is equivalent to the Viangi Nakco.”

“You bite people to control them?”

Sharian smiled and the simple act warmed my heart. I resisted the urge to throw myself into his arms.

“Lioca have extreme light magic. While we retain our light magic focus, Lioca have the unique ability to make people trust them. We were most often confused with Earthly angels. It was how I was able to infiltrate the Viangi.”

“Nakco use their magic to control through darkness and Lioca make people want to believe them. They are similar in a way. You don’t sprout white feathery wings and fly, do you?”

“No.”

“How do I know you’re not deceiving me and using your magic to make me trust you?”

“Unlike Nakco that inject a blood curse into someone, Lioca skills are more ephemeral. I could never use it to make a High Priestess trust me and rarely any Masters.”

“What about Vikold?”

“It came in handy, but since he wanted to use my talents, it was easier to make him see what he wanted to see. He saw me as trustworthy and when I lied to him that I supported his desire to turn you towards darkness, he believed me.”

“The dawon… she’s beautiful. How does she help you focus your magic?”

“Dawons are fiercely loyal, sacrificial, and strong. Not that I needed it, but she strengthens my bonds and enhances my ability to create and send objects.”

“Like the flowers on my pillow each day?”

Sharian nodded.

“I remember a dream, or perhaps it was a memory. You put a flower in my hair and my guardians separated us.”

“It’s a memory. One of my fondest of us before everything happened. You could have rejected me. Should have rejected me, but you didn’t. The guardians were much more watchful after that.”

“I’ve got so much to learn. I feel like I’ve missed my life and know so little about what I’m expected to be and do.”

“What was it like on Earth?”

“That’s hard to explain. People are people it seems. I was adopted by a loving and kind family, grew up and went to school. I trained to become a doctor. I lost people I loved very much. Wait… I have something for you.”

I rummaged through my pack and pulled out the Inca Kola. I opened it and handed it to him.

“This was my favorite drink growing up.”

Sharian sniffed it and scrunched up his nose before taking a sip. “It tickles my tongue. I like it.” He paused and looked at me. “I have to admit, I’m a little jealous.”

“Jealous? Of me?”

“Yes. To think other people looked after you and cared for you… You never answered my earlier question. What happened in the valley? I assume you have your companion.”

“Sort of.”

“That’s a rather vague response, High Priestess Aila.”

“Please, call me Aila. You don’t ask me to call you Master.”

“Only when we are alone. It’s disrespectful to not add your title when you’re around others.”

“My title refers to my rank in society. I despise the fact that there were societies on Earth that classified people in castes. It’s not right.”

“Tell me about your companion.”

“You’re rather insistent, Sharian.”

“It’s important to understand your magical disposition and for the timing of events leading to your full ascension.”

“Five days from now.”

“Five days from now, you claim your title and eight days after that you fully ascend. There is spiritual meaning to the timing of these events. They are each crucial milestones and your decisions impact your final destiny.”

“Yes. I received a companion of sorts. He protected my destiny.”

“I don’t understand. How would your animal companion do that?”

“He told me I was sliding too far into darkness and that I needed to remain balanced to avoid being controlled and used to fulfill the prophecy.”

“What do you mean by he spoke to you?”

“You don’t speak to your companion?”

“We communicate, but it isn’t speech. Start from the beginning. This is important as I must assess the danger we might all be in around you.”

“Danger? From me?”

“If you’ve fallen into darkness, we could all be in danger.”

“I didn’t take a dark magic animal as my companion if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“I don’t understand why you’re hesitating to elaborate, Aila, but I see no reason not to trust you. I’m taking you to the Twuilhe leaders and I wish no harm to come to them or any of my people.”

“These are the same Twuilhe leaders that refused to help you? When you left me at the temple, you returned to them. Are they now offering to help?”

“No… They refused once again to help me, so I came to look for you myself. They fear you, Aila. They fear the prophecy.”

“They sound like a bunch of wusses.”

“I’m not familiar with that term.”

“People that are afraid of their own shadows. Ones that know what’s right but refuse to act for fear of retaliation.”

“They’re not all like that.”

“I hope not.”

***

We travelled another day on the river, eventually coming out to the large lake I spotted from the temple. On the right shore of the lake was the first city I had seen on Amara Meru. It’s white stone walls and spires were breathtaking. Nothing on Earth could compare to the artistic beauty and yet I saw some similarities in design.

“Welcome to Yalshema, Aila. Do you recognize anything?”

“There… the balcony doors on that tower. I remember something about my parents… The field of flowers… Is that the one?”

Sharian smiled. “Yes. We used to chase each other in the fields and that room belonged to you. Looks like we didn’t arrive unnoticed.”

A large contingency of men and women dressed in white clothing were coming towards us. Sharian silently led me towards them.

“What’s the meaning of this, Master Sharian? You defy us and bring disaster upon us?”

Ignoring the chastisement, Sharian introduced me. “Master Saurel and leaders of the Twuilhe, let me introduce to you our High Priestess Aila.”

Saurel tipped his head and looked me over carefully before turning back to Sharian. “You overstep your bounds.”

I decided it was time for me to talk.

“I was coming this way anyways, Master Saurel. Master Sharian was kind enough to guide me. He’s done much to keep me safe.”

“What brings you here, High Priestess Aila?”

“By your tone, it feels like I’m not welcome here. If my history is correct, wasn’t I born Twuilhe? Did my parents not die to keep me from the hands of Vikold?”

“I sense you’ve acquired more dark than light magic. You’ve been tainted by the Viangi.”

I turned around to head back towards the boat but Sharian reached for my hand. There was a tangible electric shock that ran through me. This was similar in many ways to Syette’s subtle use of magic in her flirtation, but Sharian’s touch left me breathless and flushed. Would this always happen to me when he touched me?

I turned towards Sharian and saw the concern in his eyes. Shifting my gaze back towards Saurel, I felt anger rise within me, but I spoke softly. “When I first arrived back on Amara Meru, I was told by the Viangi I was tainted by Earth. They don’t know me, and I dare say neither do you. I came here to seek balance. The Viangi were not entirely truthful with me and I can’t be a High priestess without knowing and understanding this world and the people that live here.”

Saurel tipped his head much further towards me. “I apologize, High Priestess Aila. We feared the prophecies.”

“Is that the prophecy where I destroy a faction or the prophecy that I unite all people that you fear?”

“That depends on which faction is destroyed or what unity might look like. Both can be frightening outcomes. May I ask what your companion is?”

“You may ask, but all I will say is that he is not of dark magic.”

“It is wise for you to not disclose everything about you. You are curious about this world as we are of you. Come, it is getting late. Let us feast to your arrival. We have much to discuss.”

***

Sharian stayed close but it was clear Master Saurel didn’t trust him. There always seemed to be several men and women hovering nearby and I could only assume these were guards of some sort. I sat next to Saurel at a table that was slightly higher than all the others around the massive room. I tasted many succulent foods and listened to the conversations all around me.

Perhaps my female intuition was warning me, but I felt this was all rather phony; a carefully orchestrated show of kindness. I had many questions for the Twuilhe leaders, but this event gave me no good opportunity to ask them. Frustrated, I stood and asked if I could retire for the evening.

“Certainly, High Priestess Aila. We have a room prepared for you.”

“Would it be possible for me to stay in my old room? The room I had as a child?”

“It’s hardly befitting of your status, but it has been left untouched.” Saurel seemed to contemplate this for a moment and then waved his hand to two people. “High Priestess Aila, let me introduce you to Onal Twila, and Senal Lucassian. They can guide you to your old room and provide anything you might need.”

“What of Master Sharian? Can he accompany us?”

“The Twuilhe leaders would like to spend some time with Master Sharian yet this evening. You can meet up with him again in the morning.”

“Why is it that I loathe to be away from Sharian, Beor?”

“You are bound to him, Aila.”

“I don’t trust these people.”

“Nor should you, but you should not fear them either.”

I looked over at Sharian and smiled. “Thank you, Master Sharian. I look forward to learning more from you tomorrow.”

That brought a smile to his face as Twila and Lucassian led me away. I turned once before leaving the large hall and found Sharian staring after me.

***

“It’s truly an honor to assist you, High Priestess Aila. I’m sure you would like to change out of those Viangi clothes and I’ll do what I can to find something for you.”

“Thank you, Twila. Please don’t go to too much effort.”

Twila was leading and Lucassian had fallen into place next to me.

“It’s good to know you’ve returned to us. I’ve missed having Master Sharian around here.”

This peaked my interest.

“You know Master Sharian?”

“Since childhood. After the Great Culling he and I got to know each other much better. He looks so much better now that you’re back, High Priestess Aila.”

“He’s a good man.”

“The best. He won’t speak to me about what he went through and the Twuilhe leaders are not pleased with him. I know he would do nothing to harm the Twuilhe.”

Twila interrupted us. “Here is your old room, High Priestess Aila.”

Twila opened the door and we all stepped inside. Flashes of my dreams and memories flickered in my mind as I looked around the room. There was a small bed and bright colors on the walls. I immediately felt like I had come home.

“Are there pictures of my parents? I don’t see any.”

“They were all moved into our archives to preserve them. I could speak with someone to get you access.”

“I would appreciate that, Twila. I can’t even remember what they looked like.”

“I never met them, but I’m told they were wonderful people. Master Saurel has asked Lucassian and me to stay close in case you need anything. Are you certain you wish to stay here the night? The bed is so small.”

“I’ll be fine. Thank you both.”

I waited until they both left before taking a deep breath. Seeing my old room brought forth a wave of emotions. Longing and sadness, confusion, and deep sorrow as I thought of my Earthly parents. I sat down on the bed and wept.

***

The cry had done me good and I had managed to fall asleep on the small bed only to be awakened by the light of the twin suns streaming through the white stone framed balcony doors. I cleaned myself up and checked myself out in the mirror. It had been a few days since I had seen my reflection.

When I first arrived transformed into a woman, I was both shocked and every move I made caused me to obsess about the slightest details. However, I found as the days progressed, I was able to stop focusing on the subtle smaller differences. My movements were more fluid, and I had become accustomed to wearing dresses.

Seeing my reflection once again, I noted the increased confidence in my stance. Knowing I had magic to protect myself and a dragon to call upon took away the worries of being female in a male dominated world. I noted that I was no longer desiring to go back to who I was as Luke and in many ways, I never had been Luke.

A knock sounded on the door and Twila entered with Lucassian in tow. Twila was holding a beautiful white dress and Lucassian held a portrait.

“I managed to get this from the archives, High Priestess Aila. We will leave these here in your room and give you some time. Master Saurel would like to see you at your convenience.”

“Thank you both.”

Twila laid the dress out on the bed and Lucassian hung the portrait on the wall before exiting the room. I moved over to the portrait and stared at the handsome man and beautiful woman that were my real parents. They appeared kind and loving and I had tiny fragments of my memories with them. If what was said happened was true, then Vikold and the Viangi killed them to gain power and control over me. My life as I know it was molded by those events.

Thinking of Vikold and what was done made my magic rise within me. I wanted to lash out in anger.

“Be careful of your emotions, Aila. Anger is a useful emotion, but uncontrolled anger leads to darkness and evil.”

My magic receded at Beor’s words. “I could easily be persuaded to attack the Viangi for what they have done, but to what end? My real parents will still be dead. My life will still be the life I have led. Somehow I must look towards the future and making a better life for everyone.”

“By focusing on the outcomes of your choices, you will become a wise leader. It is when leaders make rash decisions that things go wrong.”

“Do you know the truth of what happened, Beor?”

“It is as Sharian told you.”

“What should I do?”

“Trust your instincts and know evil exists to some degree in all people.”

“That’s comforting…”

I hesitantly turned away from the portrait and changed into the white dress before heading back into the hallway to find Twila and Lucassian waiting for me.

“We can take you to Master Saurel now, High Priestess Aila.”

“I’d like to see Master Sharian first.”

Twila and Lucassian looked at each other before Twila responded for both. “Master Sharian can’t be found. Master Saurel might know where he is.”

As I thought about this, I recalled there was no flower on my pillow this morning. I felt much unease. “Then please take me to Master Saurel.”

We entered what appeared to be a throne room of some sorts and Saurel and five other Twuilhe leaders were standing next to him. Sharian wasn’t there.

Twila and Lucassian slipped out of the room leaving me alone with the group.

“Ah, there you are, High Priestess Aila. I trust you slept well?”

“My memories of my childhood are somewhat limited, but seeing my old room brought a sense of comfort I’ve not felt in many months, Master Saurel. I wished to see Master Sharian. Do you know where he is?”

Saurel offered a slight frown before replacing it with a fake smile. “I will take you to him shortly. As Twuilhe leaders, we need to confirm your disposition and seek assurance you are on our side. The Viangi must pay for what they did to your parents and the Twuilhe. With your support, the Twuilhe will lead an attack against the Viangi.”

“I may be new to Amaru Meru and new to this role I’m supposed to play as High Priestess, but I do know that destroying one faction will lead to the loss of magic.”

“We don’t need to destroy the Viangi, just send a powerful message. Ten, maybe twenty thousand deaths should put them in their place.”

“I’ll not support that, Master Saurel. Vikold and some of the Viangi may be filled with evil intent, but not all the Viangi are this way. We need each other.”

“I would think that with what they did to your parents that you would be more amenable to this. According to the timelines, you’re still not fully High Priestess until your ascension and thus we take no orders from you. It is my belief that you have absorbed too much dark magic and have fallen into darkness.”

“Don’t you see that you’re behaving no differently than Vikold? You wish to manipulate me to your cause. I thought by coming here that I might find balance, but I see the leadership of the Twuilhe aren’t what I was expecting. Please take me to Master Sharian.”

“There’s no need for me to take you.”

Saurel waved his hand and Sharian was led into the room surrounded by four men. His hands were bound, and a strange glowing collar was around his neck. It was clear he had been beaten.

“What have you done to him?” I could barely contain my anger, but I managed to hold it in check.

“Show her.”

Sharian was dragged closer to me and his sleeve pulled up. A wicked looking burn mark, long healed, was on his forearm.

“That’s the mark Vikold gives to his minions to show their fealty to him. Sharian serves the Viangi and as the traitor he is, he will be put to death.”

“Then you’ll have to kill me as well.”

“So be it…”

***

End of Part 4

>Thank you for taking the time to read this section of my story. Normally, I write complete stories, but I was lured by the January Reader Retention Contest to write a complete story as a series. The contest counts the kudos and reads, so if you liked this part, please offer a kudos.

This story is a complete novel made up of eight parts. I plan to post one part every three days so watch for part 5 coming January 9, 2019.

As always, I love to hear from you. Please leave a comment or send me a message.

Casey Brooke

up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'd say...

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I'd say the leaders of both factions need to learn a thing or two. I have a feeling Beor is going to come in very handy really soon, and not just for guidance.

Kill me and my familar?

BarbieLee's picture

I sense these idiots are going to be introduced to Beor, untouchable dragon magic, and a Priestess that can't be killed. They pick and chose what parts of the prophecies they want and discard the rest? The difference between genius and stupid is stupid has no limits.
Aila is doing real good controlling her temper and not turning all those in front of her into ashes. She already understands and controls fire. She did that with the learning stick when she had very little magic. Now she's growing into her inheritance, I would not want to be the one telling her I was going to put her and her soul mate to death. But fools tread where angels fear to go.
Very tight story telling.
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

The Priestess Can't...

...be killed by magic. Apparently you can run a sword through her like anyone else if you can get through her defenses -- which aren't as strong as they'll be a few days from now. The original burn from Syette makes it clear that Aila's not invulnerable to magic; it just can't kill her, if we can believe what she's been told. Since (if true) that's apparently common knowledge, it would appear the Twuilhe leaders think they have a way to work around that. Of course, they have no reason to take dragon magic into account.

Eric

Reality

It was so cool to be right about all my predictions about what’s really going on. I image Beor is going to show up to protect her and we can see some dragon magic. The waiting for each chapter is painful I just got this popup.
YOUR CLIFFHANGER SKILL LEVEL HAS REACHED RANK 4

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Oh no!

Poor Sharian! Poor Aila! Hopefully everything works out.

Putting to death

Yeah good luck with that. Somehow attacking someone in a different league of magical strength and with a dragon on her side just sounds a teeny bit foolhardy.

Wow!!... OK

Perceptions can be misleading., Our concepts (or mine) are almost binary but, with age..or wisdom.. I tend to find the various shades that make up the spectrum.
Many times we are led astray by those who loudly proclaim their righteousness, Believing because it was stated to be truth.

alissa

Oh NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

A cliff hanger!!! How could you? I hate them with a passion. I'll spend the next two days trying to second guess whats going to happen to them and what she'll do to them. I have always thought they spoil a story rather than enhance it.

Will

Elders

Oh I see a golden dragon in their future!

Chrispy Critters and Dragon Chow

after Aila and Beor gets through with them. Then they have to clear out the corrupt Viangi leadership too.

Better and better

This story just keeps getting better. Nice foreshadowing. Looking forward to the next chapter.

As always a wonderful tale,

Monique S's picture

Casey. Knowing your stuff, though, cliff hangers do not work any longer for me, I have read all those happy endings of yours before.

Seeing those blockheads put in their place though already raises the anticipations of fun. If Vickold told his minion she ould not kill Aila if she tried, what chance do these wusses have, now that she bonded to Beor?

Does she really need all the supposedly "traditional" ceremonies to proove her superiority? I think not. Her ascension might be over the (dead?) bodies of the imbeciles on both sides.

Monique.

Monique S

Somehow some folks

are about to get their comeuppance.

Oh my!

Aine Sabine's picture

They know not which they soe! Argh, I hate having to go to another page! LOL! Love'n this story!

Wil

Aine

Is it about to hit the fan?

Jamie Lee's picture

Well well well, so the white magic guys have the same thing in mind for Aila as the dark magic folks. Neither leader is fit to rule anyone since neither have all peoples interest in mind.

So the white magic are going to kill Sharian because he took a mark in order to stay undercover, and Aila will stand with him at the pleasure of the white magic leader.

Have those folks ever seen a golden dragon up close and personal? Or felt dragon magic? Those people are about to get a lesson in what they should not do.

Others have feelings too.