Masks 21: Part 8

Printer-friendly version

Part Eight

"You just know they're gonna ambush us," said Energia, as the four of them entered the flyer. "That note with the address was left there for us to find. These are all professionals; they're not likely to make such a mistake."

"Then let's turn it around and ambush them," said Blue Impact. "I think we'll also bring help."

* * *

Carefully, the colorfully costumed champions approached the officially obsolete warehouse, using all available cover. They scouted from a hopefully safe distance. The front was heavily guarded, though those on watch were carefully keeping out of sight. The heroes by their various means quickly spotted them, anyway. The sides had no entrances. That left the rear, which appeared to be thoroughly secured but not guarded.

The heroes crept into position. Their fastest member then launched himself at the door and quickly disarmed the alarm. The other members hurried up. Only a moment was needed to force the door, and then...

The entire building and quite a bit of property around it went up in a devastating explosion.

"Holy shit!" screamed Salamander, peeking over the low wall behind which the heroes - the actual ones - had ducked for cover. They had been watching their doubles from the top level of a nearby parking garage when the warehouse went up. Some of it was actually still falling...

"That... Was not what I was expecting," said Blue Impact, stunned.

"I have to admit," said Energia, also very surprised, "that was more... energetic than I expected, too."

Between Gadgetive, Energia and Tone they had faked the members of Tricorne entering the place. Expecting that once the New Breed attacked the illusory heroes the larger group of real heroes would easily take them out. This, though...

"Okay," said Ma, over their coms, "were they even actually in there?"

"We'll have to check," said Energia, with a shudder.

"I'd swear those guards were real," said Tone, scowling. "Though I'm now thinking they were real robots, or whatever."

"Filter masks on, those who don't already have them," said Sircada, following his own advice. "Also, be quick. First responders should be here pretty quickly."

Carefully, checking both for the expected hazards after such an explosion and for additional traps, the combined team made their way through the debris. They were just about finished when they heard the first sirens in the distance.

"Yeah, I think we better go," said Salamander.

"Why?" said Sircada. He grinned. "We didn't do anything wrong. We were just responding to a large and mysterious explosion."

"He's right," said Blue Impact, nodding. "We stay and help the first responders look the place over."

As it turned out, while they did find fragments of a few incongruous tech items - some from what the team had sent in and some other things - there were no signs that any people had been inside. Though they did find several pieces of now very ex-rats.

* * *

"Well, that was a dead end," said Sircada, sourly, once they were back at the headquarters of The FX.

"Almost literally," said Ma. She sighed. "For now, the Adirondack Anomaly facility is boarded up and off limits to everyone. The trap was sprung, but in the process destroyed all evidence it might have contained. We can't even prove it was a trap, since the explosive was natural gas. We need to find a new lead."

"I hate to say it," said Blue Impact, "but we may have to wait until the New Breed make another move. So far we've been playing catchup and that may have to continue for a while."

"For now, keep our eyes and ears open and our guard up," said Ma, nodding.

* * *

Meanwhile, another team was discussing a seemingly unrelated matter.

"Abraham Stone is back," said the Bowman, as the members of the Intrepids settled themselves around the table in the briefing room of their rebuilt base. "He had some henchmen kidnap apparently random people. ICE raided a building looking for illegal aliens, and found instead several victims - some of them still alive - and signs that a bizarre experiment had been performed on them. As well as that the equipment used on the victims had been removed hastily."

"Who is this?" said Solange, concerned.

"He claims to be the last Neanderthal," said the Black Mask. "According to DNA testing, he's actually a Neanderthal/Cro-Magnon hybrid. I guess he was just using what seemed like the appropriate term when he was asked to label himself in the late Nineteenth Century. It's not like they had any of those words in his original language."

"Whatever he did altered the DNA of the victims," said Bowman, looking angry. "Nearly a third died immediately, with about another third dying later. The remaining third seem healthy, at least short term. The details are still being teased out. Though for some reason, several of the men are now women. The survivors say that he experimented on them one at a time, and even at the end was definitely not satisfied. That there was something missing."

"Whatever he's attempting," said the Black Mask, "it won't be good. Get the alert out."

* * *

"Where's Vic?" said Blue Impact. "I just got some important information and need to tell everyone."

"Vic's girlfriend came for a weekend visit," said Gadgetive, sourly. "I bet they're in her room right now, fornicating."

"Wait... that's this weekend?!"

"Vic didn't bring Michelle to the lair, Gadge," said Energia, tiredly. "We all - including you - agreed that wouldn't be prudent. They rented a motel room on the outskirts of town in her name. They're going clubbing tonight."

"Uh..." said the gadgeteer. "I thought Vic would just go ahead, anyway..."

"She respects our rules," said Blue Impact, firmly. "In some ways better than you do."

"Might as well go ahead and tell us, then," said Energia, smirking. "I doubt Vic will have much on her mind except Michelle for the next couple of days."

"Right. My contacts in the police department tell me that apparently the people at the office for the Adirondack Anomaly facility were killed one by one, with no alarm on the part of those not yet killed. That included the security guards. Who were likely killed last, as whoever did the deed exited the facility."

"That does not sound like the New Breed," said Energia, startled.

"No. It sounds more like the mastermind we have suspected to be behind this and several other things hired a super assassin. To get rid of the researchers with as little fuss as possible."

"God..." said Energia, tiredly.

"It gets worse. The Intrepids relayed a report to us that Abraham Stone has been active in this region. Not in this area specifically, but I'm starting to get the feeling that he's the mastermind behind the museum and Anomaly facility troubles, and maybe that artifact theft. He's also quite capable - psychologically and physically - of calmly and competently killing several members of what he considers an inferior species."

* * *

The FX agreed to meet with Tricorne within the hour, despite the lateness. As the trio walked into the meeting room the entire super membership of the team was there, along with three of their security team.

"Where's Vic?" said Sircada, frowning.

"She had some personal business to take care of," said Blue Impact. "She left before we got the information I need to share with you."

Blue Impact related what others had discovered about Abraham Stone. Then told them her own speculations.

"I'm not familiar with him," said Tone, frowning.

"I am," said Ma, scowling. "He claims he's the last Neanderthal, and looks - and behaves - the part."

"According to the surviving Subterrans - who are descended from the Neanderthals - and their records, the image of Neanderthals as brutes is generally incorrect," said Blue Impact. "They were strong and intelligent and lived in harsh environmental conditions. Only a few survived, moving underground and adapting to that new environment to become the Subterrans."

"He's still dangerous and ruthless," said Ma, flatly.

"No argument there."

* * *

The meeting at the Assembly's headquarters at roughly the same time was routine, but the opening salvo was not. Neither did it have anything to do - at first - with Abraham Stone.

"Well, looks like it's happening," said Thunderer, tiredly. "Some pundits and politicians are already using the activities of the New Breed to justify cracking down on all supers."

"That's like Great Britain's reaction to the demon invasion," said Sharma, sourly, such an extreme display of emotion unusual for her. "They placed additional restrictions on the activities of supers. Specifically and by name including those who fought the demons. Yet they did nothing to restrict the political enforcers who also fought them. Despite the blatantly illegal activities of the enforcers."

"We can't blame everything on politicians," said Champion, trying to steer them into talking about the main topic of the gathering. "The New Breed and a few others like them are causing a backlash which is affecting all supers."

"Of course not," said Dr. Gorgeous. "However, given the current social situation in much of the world, influencing someone in authority to speak or act against supers - as well as supporting many other things which are very much not in the general best interest of humanity - is relatively easy. Mostly because anti-super politicians have been frustrated so often in previous attempts to crack down on us. After being repeatedly proven wrong, they're redoubling their efforts to spite reality."

"Remember, no matter who wins the election," said Sharma, sagely, "you get a politician in the office."

"Is there any new information on Stone?" said Rebound, deciding to change the topic.

"Noting from any of my contacts," said Jade Eagle.

The others gave similarly negative results.

"All right," said Champion, sighing. "Either he's keeping the same low profile he usually does or he's up to something but is being extra careful. With Stone it's hard to tell."

"On a personal note," said Rebound, looking tired but satisfied, "my family troubles seem to finally be over. So, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be available for the next few weeks."

There were a number of congratulatory comments on this. As the meeting broke up the team members who knew Rebound best took time to do this on a more personal level. There were even a few congratulatory shoulder slaps. Which, of course, affected the slapper rather than Rebound.

* * *

"Can I help you?" said the woman.

Vic held out her ID. The bartender looked a bit skeptical, and made a point of running the card under a scanner. She seemed mildly surprised when it was verified. Vic took her card back and placed her order, voice raised a bit to be heard over the music and crowd noise but tone still conversational

"My God," said the frazzled woman, who looked astounded. "You are the first person tonight to just politely hand over their ID and then clearly say what they wanted and end with 'please'!"

"Rough shift?" said Vic, with a sympathetic smile. A quick look around showed that the other people behind the bar also appeared rather harried.

"Let me just say that you're my best customer of the night. Here, have a candy bar as my thanks."

"Want a candy bar?" said Vic, with a grin, as she returned to their table.

Michelle took the packaged sweet and examined it.

"I'll save it for later, if that's all right. I want to dance as soon as we get done with our drinks and don't want to be weighed down."

"After our 'reunion' at the motel I'm a bit surprised you can walk, much less dance," said Vic, with a satisfied smile. Michelle rolled her eyes.

However, they had barely started on the beverages when the voice of someone who was definitely not the DJ came over the PA. The speaker sounded both matter-of-fact and a bit tired.

"May I have your attention, please. Someone has called in another bomb threat. This is almost certainly a hoax call from some hater, but regulations require that we evacuate the building while the bomb squad checks. Please move to the nearest exit in a calm an orderly fashion."

"'Another' bomb threat?" said Michelle, alarmed.

"I've heard about this," said Vic, as they picked up their drinks and joined the flow towards the fire door. "Because this place is queer friendly they keep getting threats. Look at how relaxed everyone is, though."

In truth, the crowd was far more annoyed than panicked. Some were even joking. Still, most people were taking the situation seriously enough that only a few needed to be urged by the staff to leave.

Outside, Michelle and Vic moved to the parking lot, on the far side, well away from the building, ushered there by nightclub staff. Emergency vehicles soon arrived.

"I'll be right back," said Vic, tossing her empty plastic cup into the trash. "I'm just going to go check whether they need any help."

"You really can't help yourself, can you?" said Michelle, smiling fondly at her. "Go. I'll wait right here."

The wait turned out to be a long one. Then turned worrying when Vic didn't answer her phone. It turned very worrying when Michelle checked with the police and learned that Vic had been sprayed in the face with something by "a large man" and carried off.

* * *

"We have an emergency," said Blue Impact, over the bakery's PA, waking the others. "Come down to the common area as soon as you can."

"Do you ever sleep?" asked Energia, groggily, as she flew downstairs in pajamas and mask.

"I have a phone extension in my room," said Blue Impact. Instead of waiting for Gadgetive as she usually would, she plunged ahead. "Michelle just called here to report that Vic has been kidnapped."

"What?!" said Energia, suddenly more alert.

"She was obviously targeted, too."

Blue Impact told her what she had been told over the phone.

"She has keys to Vic's car, but is unsure about where to go. Energia, you know her pretty well. I want you to dress and fly there. You talk with her and the police and figure out what to do. If you think she needs to come here, bring her here."

"I don't have a license, but I know Michelle does," said Energia, nodding. She flew up the stairs, passing Gadgetive who was finally on her way down. She was also quickly briefed.

"Gadgetive, you work with me to notify teams and single masks in the area. Alert them to this and find out if anyone else has been kidnapped. I'll start with The FX."

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

oh noes !

Vic kidnapped!

DogSig.png

The question is, is the

The question is, is the kidnapping related to the Abraham Stone case or someone who wouldn't take no for an answer?

Sounds like Abraham Stone

Sounds like Abraham Stone wants to know what genetic changes were done to Vic to change him to her. With, obviously, no real idea that it was an optimization effect back to Olympian and Atlantean heritage.

However, if it _was_ Abraham himself, it makes no sense for him to be described as a 'large' man. With that gene set, he'd be a 'wide' man, and a strong one, but not very tall. Likely no more than 5'4" at the tallest.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Hybrids are often larger than

Stickmaker's picture

Hybrids are often larger than either parent.

Just passing through...

Depends on the species, and

Depends on the species, and in the ones where it is, the hybrid is usually sterile. (and/or has other issues).


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Same Species?

Stickmaker's picture

IIRC the school is still out on whether Neanderthals and sapiens are varieties of the same species or just really closely related different species. A handful of skeletons showing hybrid features have been discovered. I think they were all juveniles, so maybe none made it to adulthood.

Analysis of Neanderthal bones and the marks the tendons left on them shows that while sapiens went for endurance, Neanderthals - like chimpanzees and other great apes - went for strength. A typical adult male Neanderthal could press an estimated 1500 pounds. However, while their anatomy and strength made them great at using thrusting spears, they weren't good at throwing.

I hope this makes sense. I'm fighting a head cold and definitely feeling fuzzy around the edges just now.

Just passing through...

The various sources I've

The various sources I've looked at lean towards the 'separate species', because they were as distinctly different as a bobcat and an ocelot. However, it appears that the propensity for post-africa humans to end up mating with Neanderthal is responsible for HPV and some other disease vectors. No telling if it was consensual, or rape, or from which direction. (the propensity, that is)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Masks

They say Neaderthals averaged 3 or 4 inches shorter than cro magnon who averaged about the same shorter than homo sapiens but if he was an average anything he wouldn't be sucessful at kidnapping Vic. I do wonder though, how old is Abraham Stone

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Old Guy

Stickmaker's picture

Well, he was inspired by Vandal Savage from DC. :-) Though he first appeared in a Werewolf game I ran for a few years, as the oldest of a series of immortals the garou encountered.

There weren't any calendars around when he was young, but he's roughly 45,000 years old. Born near the end of the Neanderthals' run.

Just passing through...

On a previous page

One thing I don't get is targeting a technology over pollution during manufacturing, it makes more sense to target the manufacturing technology. Personally i think that for most civilian power, wind, solar backed with biogas ( sourced from landfill, sewage and agricultural processes) is the way to go, methane is 4 times as potent of a greenhouse gas as the CO2 it produces, and grid storage has limitations, 2 birds one stone. Reactors i just don't feel are suitable for civilian application, it isn't just the radiation, that's solvable, it's the politics.

I've been an environmental

Stickmaker's picture

I've been an environmental activist since my teens, so know about methane and other source problems. Those are being addressed in the Masks universe, they just haven't come up (at least directly) in any of the stories.

Just passing through...

Reactors are concentrated,

Reactors are concentrated, long term, minimal maintenance power plants. What that means is that once it's running and stable, you don't have to constantly tweak, as everything is very predictable. Solar, bio anything, wind, and even tidal, are unpredictable in output, and require constant adjustment to keep things stable.

TDP (thermal depolymerisation) would be a much better way to deal with trash and pollution, as the byproducts it creates are usable immediately, or as ore. Dioxin is the main 'bad' byproduct, but that can be dealt with in the sealed system as well.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Storage

Energy storage is to stabilize power from less predictable sources, biogas provided proper filtration is directly compatible with nat gas infrastructure, so you can use it when storage from the intermittent sources is low. Reactors in the current political and economic climate (for the last few decades) outside of military application have proven impossible to build on time and anywhere close to budget, hence why I have written them off.

That's a problem with

That's a problem with politics, not a problem with nuclear reactors.

As for Energy storage, we don't have any effective long term energy storage. None. Lead acid battery banks are the most effective, and even with fantastic maintenance, they don't tend to last more than 5 years under load. Less, if they get drained repeatedly.

The most efficient ones that I've heard of would be electromechanical, rather than electrochemical. Basically, you build a motor in a vaccum, using magnetic bearings, for frictionless operation. Then, you use waste power to take the motor up to insane speeds, and in times of need, you use regenerative braking to slow the motor and recover most of the energy. Basically, they're mechanical batteries.

In the short term, what SolarReserve does in Nevada is probably the best efficiency we can get. The use molten salts, heated during the day, to continue operating the power plant(s) at night. Short term being that it's only overnight, and possibly cloudy days. It's not a long term solution, like if there was a nine day 'blackout' due to rain, such as we get in the Houston area.

That brings up the other problem with most 'green' energy projects. If the environment isn't perfect, you don't get much of anything. Frankly, if they want a REALLY efficient wind farm, we need to bore a pass through the entire Rocky mountains - maybe two, one north, and one south. That'll create a massive wind tunnel, allowing generators the entire length. (And, as a bonus, you can build a 'rolling road' A-La Heinlein at the bottom, power it by the wind generators, and allow fast transport east and west. It might also allow rains.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

doesn't need to be long term,

doesn't need to be long term, just short term to balance out the load, long term is what bio is for

No, we really _do_ need some

No, we really _do_ need some way to store energy long term. That's the only way to have portable energy, and if your wind dies down for a few days, you're sunk. If there is a week's worth of storms, you're sunk for solar, and probably wind - because they have to shut the windmills down if the wind grows too strong. We need some way to have large scale energy available during all of those situations, and right now, 'Green' isn't there.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

About the Name Abraham Stone

Stickmaker's picture

It was inspired by knowledge that Abraham Stoker wrote under the name Bram Stoker. I liked the idea of having a character named Bram Stone, but didn't want to be blatant about it. :-)

Just passing through...

"Then let's turn it around

TheCropredyKid's picture

"Then let's turn it around and ambush them," said Blue Impact. "I think we'll also bring help."

In one of Robert B Parker's "Spenser" novels, Spenser and his friend Hawk have been doing things that they expect to annoy a powerful crime boss.

Hawk says "So you figure he gonna come after us and we gonna out-quick him when he does."

Spenser allows as how that's his idea.

"I got a better idea - why don't we go up to his place and out-quick him when he ain't expecting it?"

 
 
 
x

Truisms

TheCropredyKid's picture

"Remember, no matter who wins the election," said Sharma, sagely, "you get a politician in the office."

"No matter who you vote for, the Government always gets in," and "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

 
 
 
x

Baby thrown out with bath water

Jamie Lee's picture

Knee jerk reactions are the result of a minuscule number of people doing something which affects many more. When these reactions take place, short term solutions are proposed without looking at the long term needs.

Those Masks causing the problems, have the politicians thinking as they normally do, solve the problem now and not think about what that solution would mean in the long term.

The Masks in general are very helpful to those who recognize how beneficial they are in times that would outright kill a normal. But if more restrictions are placed on Supers then it could get to the point that no Super could provide the needed help and more normals would die as a result.

Others have feelings too.