A Night at Magee's: Face the Music

Printer-friendly version

This is the second of three stories about Magee’s, a neighborhood bar with a most unusual owner. When Jim and Don decide to steal a valuable display item, they find out just how unusual.

This story is a .pdf file -- which has been attached, sorry -- to allow for the experimental formatting. Story #3 gets posted after I see at least three comments.

And, in response to someone's question, Magee's is not an open universe. Sorry.

AttachmentSize
PDF icon A Night at Magee-s Face the Music.pdf106.26 KB
up
81 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What happened

nothing not even a link and anything you post is going to be great
you are so very talented a writer
HUGS

where

where is the link to pdf?

001.JPG

OK

mountaindrake's picture

You now have 3 comments so we will get story #3 but we still need story #2. no links no nothing.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

Where's the PDF file.

WillowD's picture

By the way, this is your third comment. Snerk.

Lost in the mail

Ellie I did not receive the pdf file for Face the Music. I think it must of got lost in the ether some where. I really enjoyed your story One NIght at Magee's and hope you continue.

Where?

A .pdf file? What .pdf file? It must have escaped because I see no file or link to it.

How odd

No sign of a link. Any suggestions where I can find it?

Cindy

Cindy Jenkins

poor Annie hopefully after

poor Annie hopefully after all that she doesn't remember having a date with the slime bag.

She Doesn't

But she's a pretty, likeable young woman. Someone else asked her out, and she had a very nice evening.

Another new comment :)

Just re-read 'A night at Magee's', just in case there were changes. Like many of the reply's I couldn't read anything with PDF reader, just got blank pages, so I opened it in Corel Word Perfect. I found that the story fits my sense of humor very well.
Corel did show that the second to last paragraph was formatted into 2 columns, checked the reveal codes which showed that that part of the page was coded that way. (?)
Loved the new series. I enjoyed the Magee universe the first time I read Spider Robinson first book, pretty sure I've still got two of the Magee books on the shelf.
Patti

Callahan's Place

I think the other bar you're referring to is Callahan's Place. SF writer Spider Robinson created Callahan's in a series of short stories, followed by several novels. Mike Callahan runs a friendly bar on I-25 somewhere on Long Island. The clientele include time travelers, aliens, telepaths, an immortal prostitute, any number of figures from Irish folklore, a transvestite who -- when dressed up -- looks remarkably like Marilyn Monroe, and a gaggle of some of the best (worst?) punsters in existence. I've been a fan for decades. and, yes, Callahan's did influence the creation of Magee's.

pdf

found it, another good story from ellie. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Ah, there it is

Don and Jim deserved what they got. but then in stories like this they usually do, Again one persons curse is anothers blessing, trying to avoid spoilers here.

A different format

A good story that I almost seem to remember reading something like it before. Interesting format for describing the changes.

Not easily readable

Not worth my time reading this. I read on my cellphone and this format does not fit my screen. Too much strain for my eyes sorry can't give you a kudos for something I couldn't read because pdfs do not automatically reformat to fit my screen to be readable. Thanks for trying but please don't do it again not fun

EllieJo Jayne

Don't Blame Me

It's clear in the beginning of the story that it's a .pdf. If you know that your phone has trouble with such files, then you should have waited to read it on a computer.

Instead you chose to make a snarky comment. Thanks for wasting our time.

Love these Magee's stories

It's a great set up for just about anything imaginable plot wise.

I did not like the PDF format as I tend to read a lot of stories on my phone and PDF is not great on that small of a screen. However I did read this on my home computer and loved the story, the only ding I could give it is the dual column, at least for me it pulled me out of the enjoyable story and forced me to try to read something that I felt was not written in a means that made the reading easy.

Still all in all I'd give it more than one Kudo if that were possible :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Interesting...

Brooke Erickson's picture

Interesting...

btw you *can* get the same formatting using HTML. The "simplest" way would be to set that section up as a two column table, with one paragraph per cell.

There are probably "better" ways to do it involving clever CSS or more obscure commands, but...

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Simon puts me in mind of ...

many versions of the SRU Wizard. He's perfectly fine (but read and the follow directions!), unless you try to cross him. Then he gets ... "creative".