Music School Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Lindsey couldn’t believe she was missing school because of her bad knee. The doctor had taken a sample of the fluid in her knee to see what it was and what might be causing it. She also took more x-rays and MRI’s of her knee and was hoping they didn’t have to operate on her knee again.

Once she was dressed and sitting in the doctor’s office with her mother. Her doctor walks in and sits down behind her desk. Dr. Hollander looks at the x-ray and the MRI that had been taken of Lindsey’s knee. She compares it to the one she took five months ago when Lindsey broke her knee cap in gym class. Lindsey’s knee had healed properly, but the MRI detected inflammation that had formed in Lindsey’s knee.

“Lindsey, have you been very active during your performances?” Dr. Hollander knew Lindsey was in a band and danced around a lot while she performed.

“Yes, ma’am.” Lindsey did do a lot of dancing on stage.

“Have you been doing any other heavy activity lately?”

“The band just got their own studio and have been renovating it.” Barbara could see where Dr. Hollander was heading.

“Did you do any heavy lifting?” Dr. Hollander watches Lindsey’s facial expression.

“Not much and I lifted whatever I was moving with my legs.” Lindsey had help moving some of the heavy items they had while she was doing it.

“You might have aggravated your knee too much between your performances and moving heavy equipment. What I want you to do is to stay off your feet for a few days and I’m going to prescribe some pain and anti-inflammatory for you to take.” Dr. Hollander starts writing a prescription for Lindsey.

“I can’t stay off my feet for a few days. We have several performances this weekend and next week as well.” That wasn’t counting the performances she had with the orchestra.

“Lindsey, you can play without jumping around. You did last night.” Barbara watched a YouTube video that had been posted of their performance.

Lindsey looks at her mother and wonder how her mother knew “I’ll try, mom.”

Dr. Hollander hands Barbara, Lindsey’s prescription. She looks towards Lindsey “just try to stay off your feet, Lindsey.”

“I’ll try Dr. Hollander.” Lindsey follows her mother to her car, after saying good-bye to Dr. Hollander and her staff.

“Mom, can you drop me off at the studio please?” Lindsey looks at Barbara as they head for the nearest Pharmacy to fill Lindsey’s prescription.

“After I fill your prescription young lady. You can go ahead take the rest of the day off from school. Just make sure you get any work you
missed today tomorrow from your teachers.” Barbara didn’t mind dropping Lindsey off at the studio and letting her miss the rest of her classes.
Barbara stops at a nearby CVS Pharmacy near the studio to fill Lindsey’s prescription. She also picks up an ice pack that Lindsey could keep at the studio.

They stop at Wendy’s and pick up some lunch. When they arrive at the studio, Barbara helps Lindsey inside and since she hasn’t toured the place since the band took over. She explores the place to see what they have done to it.

Barbara looks at what the band and their friends had done to the place. She had shown the place to Lindsey, Terry, and Brenda originally. Now the place looked better and like a studio fit for a band. It didn’t look like the medical clinic it originally had been. She knew all the parents of the band helped with labor or donating money to buy equipment and construction supplies for them.

Barbara spots the security cameras they had installed in the place. She checks out the recording studio and the practice room. She loved how the kids had redone the place. She could see Kaja's artistic touch in how they painted and decorated the place. When she goes back up front to check on Lindsey, she hears Lindsey talking with Terry.

Terry had been surprised that Barbara’s car was at the studio when he pulled up in his mother’s car. When he went inside the place and heard music coming from the small kitchenette they had. He investigates and finds Lindsey sitting at the table in there with her leg propped up on another chair. She was eating a salad and drinking a drink from Wendy’s.

“What brings you up here so early and why aren’t you in school?” As Terry sits down at the table next to Lindsey.

“I went to the Doctor’s Office this morning to have my knee looked at and was told to stay off my feet for a few days.” Lindsey takes a sip of the sweet tea she got with her lunch.

“So, what did the doctor say about your knee?” He had been a little concern about Lindsey.

“She said that it was just inflammation in my knee and that was causing the build-up of fluid. Dr. Hollander took a few samples and asked me if
I have been doing a lot of physical activities on stage and when we renovated the place. She thinks all the physical activity I have been doing, might have aggravated my injury.” Lindsey had gotten hurt five months ago when she first came to live with Barbara.

One of the mean girls in her gym class knocked her to the gym floor and caused her to land on her knee. The fall broke her knee cap in half. It’s only been about five months since the accident.

“So, does that mean you have to continually wear your brace?” Terry wonders how Lindsey’s knee injury was going to affect the band.

“No, but she does want me to take it easy. I'm supposed to stay off my feet for a few days.” Lindsey takes another sip of her sweet tea.

“Hhmm, that might present a problem on stage.” Terry knew Lindsey loved dancing around on stage behind her synthesizer.”

“She could do what she did last night, Terry.” Barbara comes walking into the kitchenette.

“Hi, Mrs. Weathers and yes you are right, but we have several performances coming up this weekend and next week as well.” Terry was
worried about Lindsey performing.

“So, she can do it behind her synthesizer sitting on a stool.” Barbara figures it won’t hurt Lindsey.

“True, she could.” As he looks at Lindsey “Your mother is right.”

“I know.” Lindsey puts her trash in Wendy’s bag and limps over to the trashcan.

As she is limping back to the table “Tessa and I have four performances next week with the orchestra.”

“I know. Tessa sent me an email when she got the schedule. I was waiting to hear from you.” Terry looks at Lindsey as she sits back down.

“I was going to inform you after I saw the doctor, Terry.” Lindsey had meant to send him an email.

“It’s okay.” Terry looks towards Barbara. She’s been kind of quiet as they spoke.

“So, are you going to let Lindsey perform?” Terry hopes Lindsey was going to be performing with them.

“You said that the performances are this weekend?” Barbara watches Terry.

“Yes ma’am. We have four performances this weekend. One on Friday after school, another two on Saturday and one on Sunday after Lindsey and Tessa gets out of class.” Terry knew they had a busy weekend.

Next week was even worse for them. Especially on Thursday night. Lindsey and Tessa had a performance they had to do with the Orchestra and Lindsey had a performance with the Jazz group she was in on Friday and then with the band afterwards.

Barbara already knew about the concerts Lindsey was going to be involve in, because they went out and bought a nice new black dress for her to wear. Tessa and her mother had gone shopping with them. Tessa has been spending time with Lindsey, since the two of them were transgender.

Lindsey was helping Tessa cope with the hormones she was on. Lindsey has been on hers for a while, but Tessa just started hers. So, Tessa was adjusting to the emotional roll coaster she was having with her emotions. She knew what she was going through and wanted to help Tessa.

Barbara looks at Lindsey and could see she wanted her to say yes. She looks back towards Terry “Alright, but you make sure she isn’t lifting anything heavy or dancing around either.”

“I’ll make sure Mrs. Weathers.” Terry will talk with the rest of the band and make sure Lindsey doesn’t lift anything heavy or dance around a lot.

Barbara had an appointment she had to attend, so she leaves Lindsey with Terry. After her mother leaves, Lindsey heads towards the practice room and start working on some music. Terry joins her as she plays. They spend the rest of the afternoon working on a new piece for the album.

up
231 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Did they use...

Did they use any coupons from the Wendy’s mobile app?

Lindsay is REALLY

Samantha Heart's picture

Going to.listen to her Dr & mother on this. Her knee needs time only 5 months is NOT a long time & she may need to wear her brace from time to time. PE is going to cause an issue though i hope not. The band needs her maybe she can teach the other girl how to dance to take her place on that part.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Lindsey does

need to take care of herself, that age group does tend to abuse their bodies more.