Where Should I Begin?

Printer-friendly version

Where Should I begin –

It was what every transgirl dreams about. The invite. The twenty year invite where you walk into the reunion with knock’em dead beauty as they try and figure out who you once were because they can’t possibly recognize you anymore. So, where should I begin?

Do I start with finding myself lost in Philip Taylor’s beautiful brown eyes and lovely mop of hair that, had I been built right in the first place, would have me begging to have his babies. And what will I say to his wife. If I flatter her about what a nice find she made in him, will she think I am making a move on her husband? Then when she finds out I was his lab partner in chemistry and a guy, will she recoil in abject horror and spit in my face?

How about all those guys I didn’t have to mentally undress in the locker room to know what studs they were or were not in the school’s hallways? At least now they would understand why I didn’t care one lick about sports. Or why the smell of sweat and chlorine makes me want to run and hide. Would they understand that my mental aversion to clanging metal causing me stress remembering being saved by a coach who knew boys could be jerks once too often? Facing question after question about how I masked my true nature in a sea of naked masculinity would not be fun. Is this where I should begin?

Maybe I could avoid those obvious questions. But, more would remain. Inevitably, I would be walking into the reunion dragging in all the baggage of my youth and the misconceptions of those who rejected me so very long ago for various reasons only to have them possibly renewed by cold and unyielding prejudice. Do I really want to go back and face my past demons and release new ones? Where should I really begin?

Smiling, I tossed my invite into the dustbin, grabbed my purse, and headed out to the car to enjoy a nice night out on the town. I smoothed my skirt as I slipped into my seat, lowered the car’s mirror, checked my makeup, and buckled up. Sitting there in the car all alone thinking about what I had just done, I wondered if I made the right call. I fumbled for a brush in my purse and casually brushed my hair lost in the throws of angry and hopeful thoughts of what possible good it would do me or them anyway if I returned to that cauldron of teenage confusion that was in my past.

The door opened and my guardian angel stepped in behind the wheel and buckled up. He started the car. He softly stroked my arm all the way to my wedding band that symbolized our mutual bond of affection. I turned to him and he gently smiled telling me he loved me and nothing would ever change that. We kissed sweetly and he made me feel all warm inside. He noticed a tear in my eye and captured it with a brush of his finger, brought it to his mouth, and drank it in. He reminded me that he promised to share in my tears of happiness and sadness too. He said I would never be alone and that we were in this journey together forever, through thick and thin.

Then he pulled from his jacket his invite he had received that looked just like the one in the dustbin and asked me where should we begin.

Copyright © 2019 by AuP reviner

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's very hard.......

Miyata's picture

It's very hard to forget what has happened in the past when the percursors keep on occurring over and over later on in life!

Miyata312

'Do or Do Not, There is no Try' - Yoda

No. Not Phillip.

AuPreviner's picture

I am torn whether or not to tell you since it could ruin a potential sequel. But, the clue is there. Trust me.

Anyway, I assure you it is not Phillip.

Spoilers ...

AuP


"Love is like linens; after changed the sweeter." – John Fletcher (1579–1625)

Her husband?

Marie Caresse's picture

Oh surely, and hopefully, it is the coach. Her knight.

Wonderfully written short

You have been very effective in giving the reader enough backstory and hints of drama for us to imagine and fill in the gaps and likely violence.

I take it as a wonderful celebration of what she has in her life despite what she has had to put up with in her past.

Your story hints at so much and leaves us with a rich and detailed backstory. To craft all of that in 600 odd words is a real skill. Thanks for sharing it with us. Cheers.

It is always nice to hear my work is appreciated

AuPreviner's picture

The goal from the outset of my muse was to write a tight story that was filled with such rich nuances that informed the reader of a larger painful story, yet was hopeful and caring.

Thank you so much for verifying what my muse wanted to accomplish.

AuP


"Love is like linens; after changed the sweeter." – John Fletcher (1579–1625)

poignant

maybe a sequel!

DogSig.png

Nightmare

More a nightmare than a dream, but with a happy ending. Another for the dustbin, on with life.

A wonderful introduction...

...but I kept waiting for a turn that may be ahead in a sequel.

AuP's main characters typically have an inner strength that carries the day. Self doubt and a sense of worry of past demons seem to underly this piece of the story... but a quick re-read makes me wonder if I misinterpreted her mere musing when she already knows exactly where she will confidently begin.

I.e. is there a confidence of self that will shine through as a sexy smooth leg steps out of the car while taking her husband's offerred hand?

This absolutely begs for a sequel. And I do too!

Hugs,
Stacy

Class reunion

Jamie Lee's picture

Why are they held? To see old friends or classmates? To relive "glory" days? To maybe show the AHs who tormented the then student how successful they've become?

Wouldn't anyone from school who was important maintained contact throughout the years? And if major changes have taken place might another crop of AHs surface because they don't like the changes?

The woman in the story does indeed have a decision to make. Go to the class reunion with her husband, knowing he too would become a target? Or skip the event and all the trash that would begin again?

Others have feelings too.