CMC 01: Getting the Orchestra Together

Printer-friendly version

Cindy at Music Camp
By Teek
© 2019
19 Chapters
178 pages (70,779 words)
kids-group-trans.gif

*******************************************************

This is the second story in the Cindy's Adventures series.

The first story is short at only 5 pages and about 2,000 words. Here is the link to that first story:
Mom! How Could She?.

Although it is not necessary to read that story to fully enjoy this one, you might find it beneficial to read the first story.

*******************************************************

~o~O~o~

Chapter 01
Getting the Orchestra Together

“Cindy, go ahead. It is just us in here. I reserved the practice room for two hours. I told Mr. Elks that you and I wanted to work on a musical composition I am writing for his class,” Jessica said while trying to hand Cindy a dress.

It was a light green dress with flowers embroidered on the bodice and along the bottom hem. Cindy figured it would probably come down to about her knees. Cindy liked its simple design, and could easily see any of the kids her age wearing it. Although there were short puffy sleeves, they did not make it look like a preschooler’s dress, not that such a thing would stop her from wearing it anyways. So, why was she having such a hard time taking the dress?

They had been at camp for a week, and Cindy didn’t think she would get a chance to wear a dress again until she got home. Well, that might not be an option either. After the way mom reacted to seeing Cindy in a party dress at her friend’s Birthday Party, Cindy wasn’t completely sure her mom would ever let her wear a dress again.

“Where . . . where did you get it Jessica? Your twelve and way bigger than I am, so I know it’s not your dress.”

“Samantha was all too happy to lend it to me for a few candy bars. I always bring a few boxes of candy bars that are not sold here at camp. They are great to get things from other kids.”

“Samantha? That amazing little violin player?”

“Yup, that’s the one. She is the best strings instrument player at camp this year. Like you, she is a prodigy who just needs a little bit of time outside of her hick town to develop her talents. Now stop worrying about where I got the dress and just put it on.”

Cindy looked at the dress for a minute before taking it and going to the other side of the piano to change clothes.

“About time,” Jessica said as Cindy came back wearing the dress. “I have this composition mostly done, but I need your help to finish it.”

“Jessica, you’re a piano player and I play the flute. I can’t play the piano. How am I going to help you create a composition for the piano?”

“Don’t be silly Cindy. I don’t need you to play the piano. I can do that part. It is the other parts I can’t do. I wrote a part for you on the flute, Samantha on the violin, and George on the french horn. As I see it, we are all the best here at camp. Except for maybe Marcus with his electric guitar, but he only plays Rock ‘n Roll. My composition is for an orchestra, not a band. Anyways, I am in Mr. Elks’ song/composition writing class. He takes the best one and makes it the last performance of the concert at the end of camp. I have been in the group playing the winning musical composition before, but I have never composed a winning composition. This year, I am going to win that honor.”

The two of them worked together repeatedly playing what Jessica had in the composition and adding to it. Sometimes they only made a small tweak here or there, but with each change they needed to play that part or the whole song over again. They were getting close, but Jessica didn’t feel it was done yet. She thought the piano and flute parts sounded pretty good, but without the ability to hear the other parts she couldn’t pinpoint what wasn’t quite right. After forty-five minutes they finally took a break.

Looking at the clock, Jessica turned to Cindy, “The others will be here soon, and then we can see if this will work with their instruments.”

“What?”

“George and Samantha will be here in just a few minutes, then the four of us can work on it together.”

“You didn’t tell me they were coming. I better change clothes before they get here.”

“Why would you do something crazy like that. You play much better dressed up as Cindy than you do dressed as Frank. I need Cindy here playing.”

“What are you talking about? I am the same person. I don’t play different dressed as Frank.”

“Actually, you do. There is more feeling and emotions in your playing when you are dressed as Cindy. It has been very apparent over the last forty-five minutes. If I had known this, I would have gotten you a dress days ago. I had thought George was the best musician at camp this year, but you are way better than he is. He just doesn’t play with as much feeling as you do. If Samantha and you teamed up, he would look like such an amateur. He plays with precision like me, but the two of you, play with emotion. The four of us will be unbeatable.”

“I don’t know about that but I am not going to be labeled a freak by the best players here,” Cindy started towards Frank’s clothes on the other side of the piano.

“Stop!” yelled Jessica. Taking a deep breath she continued much more softly, “George and Samantha already know about Cindy and they are okay with you. Do you really think that Samantha would have lent you a dress her grandma made her if she didn’t know who was going to wear it?”

Cindy stopped, and looked down at the dress. Looking over at Jessica. “This was made by Samantha’s Grandma? Why would she let me borrow it?”

“Remember when I told you I needed to borrow that picture of you all dressed up in a little girl’s party dress for inspiration? Well, I got inspired. I showed it to Samantha and told her your story. After hearing the story and seeing your picture, she was willing to help you out. Before that, she wouldn’t lend you anything. George was a bit harder to bring into our team, but I know a secret about him from last year. He has a crush on a girl named Ellie. . .”

“Ewww, gross.”

Jessica laughed, “Oh you little kids are so cute. When you get older Cindy, you will not think that boys are Yucky.”

“Wait a minute. You told them about Cindy?”

“Yeah, it was sort of necessary. You have done so much to help me out over the last week, that I wanted to give you something. Time as Cindy seemed the best thing I could do. Private practice time on this song seemed like times you could be Cindy without others knowing. So, George and Samantha needed to know.”

“What did I need to know?” Samantha said as she entered the room.

“Oh, just that Frank was Cindy.”

“Hi Cindy. You look good in my dress. Your Mommy was so mean to you, I had to help you out. I couldn’t imagine anyone ever cutting my hair like that. Cutting your braids right off and then giving you a bowl cut. I don’t even like it on boys, but to give it to a pretty girl, that is just one crazy Mommy.”

“Samantha,” Jessica quickly changed the topic. “You thought that Frank was a good player, but Cindy is way better. Wait until you hear her play.”

“We’ll see about that,” Samantha stated as she got out her violin.

Cindy looked at Samantha’s violin and smiled. It had Sofia The First and My Little Pony stickers on it.

“Okay you two, I have sent you both the latest score through the Score++ App,” Jessica sat at the piano tapping away at her tablet. “Cindy let’s play our parts once through to let Samantha get familiar with the song.”

Jessica, Cindy, and Samantha played for about ten minutes before George showed up. The four of them worked on the song non-stop. Five minutes before the private practice time was up, an alarm went off on Jessica’s tablet.

“Cindy, quick, time to change back to Frank. We only have five minutes left. I don’t know if anyone has booked this space after us.”

Cindy went over to where Frank’s clothes were on the other side of the piano. With her back to everyone, she quickly changed back to Frank. He then took the dress over to Samantha and thanked her for letting him borrow it.

“Your welcome,” Samantha said as she folded it up and put it in her violin case with her violin. “I think Jessica is right, you do play better as Cindy than you do as Frank.”

“But . . .”

“No, they’re right Frank.” George interrupted. “You do play better as Cindy. You might even be competition for me. Good thing you are not Cindy all the time.”

“She’s better than you George and you know it,” Samantha said with pride. “I will make sure every time we play together that she is dressed as Cindy. Us little kids need to show you big kids that we are not babies who don’t know how to play our instruments.”

“Come on you two,” Jessica pleaded. “No fighting. We are the best at camp and we represent both the big and little kids. Together we will blow everyone away. Now that you have all worked together to finish this song, will you work with me to earn the top song in the concert? It was written for the four of us, by us.”

“I’m in,” Samantha replied.

“I guess I am in too,” George reluctantly added. “If I don’t join you guys, I am afraid you will win the spot without me. I can’t have that.”

“I will take that as a compliment, thanks George,” Jessica smiled.

Everyone turned to Frank, looking for an answer.

“I. . . I don‘t know. I like the song and like playing with all of you. Cindy can’t perform at the concert and I don’t have any clothes to be Cindy throughout the week for practice sessions. It sounds like you need Cindy not Frank for this song.”

“Like I said Frank, I will make sure Cindy is here for each practice. Leave that to me. You will have a different outfit every day,” Samantha declared.

“As for the concert,” Jessica smiled. “George and I will come up with something. Don’t worry about it.”

“We will?”

“Yes George, we will.”

“You know Jessica, I am older than you. You can not boss me around.”

“I am not bossing you around. I am just telling you what you are going to do whether you like it or not.”

George rolled his eyes.

“Okay,” Frank smiled at Jessica as he stifled a giggle. “I guess I am with you all. We did sound pretty good together. Anyways, how can I turn down a chance to be myself for two hours a day all week? It was so nice to be Cindy again, and it may be the last chance I ever get to be Cindy.”

“Great, we are all in. I have reserved this room for two hours at one o’clock each day this week. Once I hand in my finished song to Mr. Elks and tell him who is going to be playing the song with me, he will arrange for the littles to miss their one and two o’clock activities.”

“What if he can’t,” Samantha questioned? “Mrs. Star was very insistent that Junior Band was required by all the kids under ten. The only way that we could make it today was because of the special Sunday schedule.”

“Don’t worry Samantha,” George smiled at her. “Once Mr. Elks hears that Jessica has managed to get all four of us together to do a song, he will arrange it. The top talent at camp rarely get along well enough to do a song together. He wants it every year, but never gets it. This year he even has a special treat, in that we each play a different type of instrument. We are our own little orchestra with string, brass, percussion, and woodwind instruments. If he likes our composition, he will let us do anything. By Tuesday, we will have to give him a recording of how we are doing. He needs that to give us the final approval for Saturday’s concert. Wednesday is the day he gets together with all the Music Teachers to determine what is in the concert. Every year Jessica and I have been here, our groups have been in the final concert, with at least one of us playing in the group playing the winning song from his song writing class. With us both in the same group this year, there is no question that he will approve our band, and Jessica will win the song writing contest.”

“If I remember correctly,” Jessica thought outloud. “You have Junior Band at one o’clock and Swimming or Art at two o’clock. Sorry to take you away from Swimming or Art, but it is the only time all four of us can get away from the required activities.”

“It is okay,” Frank said. “I have never liked swimming in boy’s trunks. My best friend has this one piece Little Mermaid swim suit I would much prefer to swim in.”

“Weird kid. You are definitely one weird kid,” George commented as he packed up his french horn. “You play some pretty good music though, so it’s okay with me if you want to wear dresses and girls swim suits.”

“Come on Cindy,” Samantha said grabbing Cindy’s hand and heading for the door. “It is Free Time and Sofia The First is on Disney Junior. Let’s not miss it.”

As the two of them went running out of the room, Jessica smiled at the new friendship she helped form.

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So far a good start

Samantha Heart's picture

Im looking foward to more & see where this goes.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Just the beginning

Teek's picture

Thank you for reading and commenting. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story.

Keep Writing, Keep Smiling
Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Relatable struggles as a musician

Beoca's picture

I can relate to the difficulty of trying to compose for an instrument that is not mine (and the difficulty of getting the small group together so as to pull something off - I can relate to that as well). Power to Jessica for pulling this together. Hopefully it works out.

I do think that "Mom! How could she?" does add a lot to this story (as someone who right it right before reading this). Good to see you getting back to it - I've run into a number of your stories elsewhere.

Story Relations

Teek's picture

Interestingly, I have told people over and over to write about what they know. I wish at times I would follow my own advice. I have had to do a lot of research on this one, but my strength is character development. That is the story I am writing with the music only the backdrop.

As for "Mom! How could she?" adding a lot, I agree. I tried, however, to make it so each story could stand alone. Before I knew about the story contest I had at least two chapter written of this story. They were originally done as chapters two and three of "Mom! How could she?" but I went back and altered them once I read about the Reader Retention story contest. I figure I have no chance of winning, since story with the main characters being kids tend not to get a lot of followers, but I figured it was worth an attempt at least.

I have a total of 15 stories posted in two genres. There should only be three sites where they are posted (use to be 4 but one I don't think Piper has up anymore). I am glad to see people enjoying my stories.

Thank You for reading and I hope you enjoy the rest of this story.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Retain me

WillowD's picture

I think you will have no problem retaining me for the entire story. Not only am I thoroughly enjoying this story but the title is likely to catch my eye as you post each chapter.

I quite like this story. It reminds me of some of the other truly great stories written by authors on this site that start in summer camps.

Summer Camp

Teek's picture

Would you believe, I do not have any happy memories of Summer Camp. Oh well, let's see if I can give Jessica and Cindy some.

Thank You for Reading.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Reader Retention Story Contest

WillowD's picture

I've lost track of how many times I have come back to read this story again. You have definitely done a good job at retaining me.

More please...

What a great start...more please...

TGSine --958

6 written

Teek's picture

I have six chapters written and more to come. Look daily, I should be posting daily or every other day. Thank You for reading and commenting.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Bookmarked

Now it joins "Mom! How Could She?" in my bookmarks. I like these characters because they are so refreshingly just 'kids', and I'm glad to see a new story with them.

Writing Children

Teek's picture

A child character is easy, a convincing one is hard. I hope I pull it off. I tend to do better with them than adults. My inner Muse is younger than 10, so she prefers writing about children.

Thanks for Reading and Commenting and Bookmarking

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Mom better get an attitude change

Jamie Lee's picture

Frank's mom is setting herself up for a funeral unless she gets a change of attitude. Right now, Frank is depressed because he can't be who he needs to be. And unless someone doesn't step in and work with him to find out why he's depressed, Frank could get depressed enough to take his life and leaving his mom asking why.

Jessica seems to finally be over being forced to wear dresses, but she isn't going to forget what her mother forced her to do. And that memory could put a rift between mother and daughter. Jessica's mother may have felt she was doing the right thing by not giving Jessica a choice what to wear for two weeks, but forcing clothes onto a kid may do more harm than good.

They do a concert on Saturday night, and it may be in front of parents as well. So the question arises as to how Cindy gets to be present at that concert so their music sounds as good as it does during practice.

If Frank's mom is at the concert, and she sees Cindy, might she once again become the out of control parent and spoils that concert?

Others have feelings too.

Comments

Teek's picture

Comments are the life blood of an author. Thank you for reading and commenting on the story. Both Moms have some issues. we have not met them yet, and I have not written those chapters yet, so time will just have to wait for the impact these two weeks will have on thee two Moms.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

how did I miss this ?

well, still found it now ...

DogSig.png

long awaited

Teek's picture

I was wondering if you were going to put in your two cents. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek