The Prince Bride - 2

Printer-friendly version

The Prince Bride - Chapters 2, 3 & 4
By Missy Crystal

Chapter 2. Princess Charlene

Prince Charles was heir to the throne. At his christening, three of the four fairy protectors of the Kingdom (the kind with wings and wands) appeared to give him the customary blessings for a future king. The fourth fairy sister, arriving late from partying all night with the elves, mistakenly believes the baby is a girl and gives her the blessing of being a happy bride. Can the fairy magic be undone? Will the prince grow up to be a queen of one kind or another? Read the story and find out.

The door opened and Prince Charles entered. He was dressed in the style of the day for boys of his age, a white linen shirt with long sleeves and a high collar, dark wool knee breeches over white cotton stockings and black leather shoes with a silver buckle. His attire was quite simple compared to the frills and frippery worn by the gentlemen of the Court, a result, most likely, of the King's attempt to shelter him from all feminine influence. Even so, the clothes could not conceal the rounded contours that left no doubt tthe strategy had failed.

The Queen expected the prince to be shocked, but, to her surprise, he calmly surveyed the room, his eyes taking in the elegant fabrics, ornate furnishings, gilded appointments and elaborate decorations, all luxuries denied to him in the austere surroundings in which he had been raised by his all male care givers. Finally, his attention turned to her. He came forward and introduced himself with the customary etiquette.

"Good Morning. I am Prince Charles, son of King Henry. I am pleased to meet you."

The Queen remained seated.

"Good morning, Prince Charles. I am Queen Charlotte, your mother," she replied.

To her astonishment, the prince sat down beside her, looked into her eyes and put his arms around her. The Queen embraced the child that she had lost for so many years and could not control her tears. Through her flood of emotions, she wondered how it was that the boy could react so compassionately to someone he did not know and appeared so different from the men he did know. Whatever the answer, she enjoyed the comfort of holding him and the release of her sadness with his return. After a few minutes, the Queen regained her composure. She took a white lace handkerchief out of her sleeve and dried her eyes. Looking into the Prince's blue eyes and stroking his hair, cut short in the military manner, but even so, framing his face with soft golden curls, she poured out her heart to her son, soon to become her daughter.

"My dear, dear child, love of my life. I have longed for this day and, now that it is here, I have no words to express my happiness. Please forgive me. I so wished to make a good impression upon you. What must you think?"

Gazing back into the Queen's eyes, the boy spoke in a soft, sweet voice.

"I too have looked forward to this day. I have a memory, one that I have secretly cherished, of a kind and gentle presence that now I know was you."

The Queen suspected that it was from her time in the nursery, when she was allowed to hold her baby, and, as he grew older, her nighttime visits, when he seemed to be asleep."

"I am most curious," the prince went on, "about you and these surroundings, for I see that there have been parts of my education that have been neglected for some reason."

The Queen smiled and said, with a quiver of eager anticipation in her voice, "there are not one, but two sexes, male and female. You are male, a young male is called a boy, and I am female, a young female is called a girl. As I am older, I am called a woman and your father, the King, as he is older, is called a man."

"Yes, I know that I am a boy and that I will grow up to become a man like my father, the King, and those that have raised me, but the words you use, 'sex,' 'girl,' and 'female,' have no meaning to me. Please explain them."

The Queen thought about how best to introduce her son to the difference between male and female and the reason for their opposite, but complimentary, characteristics. The Prince waited patiently while she considered the best way to begin.

Finally, the Queen gave a sigh of resignation at the impossible task and said, "I am afraid that I cannot teach you in a morning the lessons of a lifetime. For reasons that you will come to understand, you have been kept apart from me and those like me from birth. When you are ready, I will explain, but for now let us enjoy each other's company. Would you like some tea and cake?"

"I would like some tea, please, but I do not know cake. It looks quite tasty. I should like to try it. The Prince paused. "Is it allowed, Sir? I would not wish to displease my father."

His mother looked at him lovingly.

"Up until today, you have been in your father's charge. You are now in mine. You my do as you wish.

The Prince's eyes went wide.

"Truly, Sir? Anything I wish?

"Yes," the Queen assured him, "anything, but one."

"And what is that, Sir?" the Prince inquired.

The Queen smiled.

"You must not call me 'sir'. I am your mother."

"Yes, mother," the Prince agreed, "I find that name much more to my liking as well."

The Queen rose and walked over to a table on which there was silver tea service and a tray of pastries. He skirt swirled and the multiple petticoats rustled as she moved. She served them both tea in delicate white china cups and cake on gilded plates with silver forks. The Prince took a taste of the cake and smiled.

"It is quite good, mother. Thank you for sharing it with me."

The Queen smiled back.

"All I have is yours to share, dear child."

To her surprise the Prince replied, "Then, may I dress as you? Your clothes look ever so much nicer and more enjoyable then mine."

"These are women's clothes," the Queen explained, "and for you to wear them would mean that those who see you would believe you to be female. Is that what you wish?"

"Must people believe me to be one or the other?" the Prince asked innocently.

"My dear, you are both, but as such you are special, the result of an enchantment."

The Queen decided it was time to tell her son the story of his birth, Buttercup's confused blessing and the efforts that were made to prevent his becoming a bride.

"Must a bride be a woman?" the Prince asked.

"Yes, my darling child, but a young woman is a girl and a girl of royal blood is a princess, not a prince," the Queen explained. "You will need a girl's name too. What shall it be? You are named in honor of my father, King Charles IV, and had you been born a girl, you would have been Charlene. Do you like the name, Princess Charlene?"

"Yes mother, very much so."

"Well then," the Queen said emotionally, "I christen thee, Princess Charlene. Long live Princess Charlene."

The Queen began to cry.

"Mother, is something wrong? I was told by my teachers that I must never shed tears."

"Women cry when they are happy, Charlene," the use of the Princess' name inspiring renewed sobs."

"May I cry too, mother?"

"Yes."

When the Queen and the Princess had composed themselves, the Queen went to her dressing table to repair her makeup. The Princess followed and watched with fascination as her mother sat before the mirror and expertly applied a variety of cosmetics from small glass jars with silver lids, finishing with touches from the gilded stopper of a gold filigreed glass bottle of rose scented perfume. The Queen turned to the Princess.

"Would you like to try?" She asked, sliding over on the cushioned stool to make room.

"Oh, yes, please," the Princess answered eagerly, sitting down next to her mother.

The Queen applied a hint of red lip color and a delicate touch of rouge to highlight her cheeks. On closer inspection, the Princess' eyebrows were perfectly arched and her blonde eyelashes needed no attention. Nor was there a need to hide any blemishes, as her complexion was flawless. She was offered a selection of perfumes and chose a light violet scent that complimented her youth. When the Queen had finished, a beautiful girl looked back at her from the mirror. The Queen was satisfied that she would be accepted at Court as Princess Charlene and all that remained was to find an explanation for her presence.

"Are you familiar with my kingdom, Dalmacia?" the Queen asked.

"Yes," the Princess replied and went on in great detail about its geography.

The Queen listened for a minute before it dawned on her that the Princess was speaking in Dalmacian. Her accent, grammar and vocabulary were perfect.

"Charlene, dear, how do you know so much about Dalmacia and speak its language so fluently?" she asked in amazement.

"When the King finally gave up trying to make me a soldier, there was not much for me to do, except read," the Princess explained. "The only books I had were geography and mathematics. I am quite clever with numbers and I enjoyed reading about the other kingdoms. Over the years, I had teachers who lived or traveled in those kingdoms and who spoke their language, which I learned."

"How many languages do you speak, Charlene," the Queen inquired.

"Six."

"Six!" the Queen said with surprise, "including our own."

"Oh, no, mother, I thought you meant other languages."

"That means each of the neighboring kingdoms. Do you speak them all as well as you speak Dalmacian?"

"Yes, mother."

"Your education has indeed proved fortunate. In order to explain the Prince's absence, a story was made up that he was sickly and had been sent to live with my family in Dalmacia, where the climate was better for him and there were healers knowledgeable in treating his condition. Unfortunately," the Queen said with a mock sadness, "poor Prince Charles is too ill to return and my family has sent a princess in his stead, who the King and I have adopted as heir to the throne. Welcome to you new home, Princess Charlene of Dalmacia."

"Thank you kindly, your Majesty," the Princess replied formally. "I do believe I shall be quite happy here."

Queen and Princess, mother and daughter, fell into each others arms and embraced lovingly.

"Now that is settled," the Queen said, taking the Princess by the hand and leading her back to the sofa, where they sat together, "we must arrange for a suitable wardrobe. I shall summon the royal tailor."

She rose and went to a bell pull against the wall, which she rang. A minute later, there was a knock on the door. The Queen opened it and directed an attendant to summon the tailor. She closed the door and returned to the sofa.

"Would you like to see the rest of my apartment, while we wait for the tailor to arrive?" she asked.

"Yes, mother, please."

The Queen took the Princess by the hand and brought her though an arched doorway covered by a tapestry curtain to her bedchamber. As was the Queen's sitting room, it was richly appointed with tapestries, carpets and art. Against one wall was a gilded bed of intricately carved dark wood with four tall columns at each corner supporting a purple and gold canopy and with a matching bedcover. Against the other walls were half a dozen beautifully decorated wardrobes, which the Queen opened to display her collection of dresses and accessories.

"Do you like these rooms," the Queen asked.

"Yes," the Princess replied.

"Then they are yours," the Queen told her.

"Oh, no, mother, please, I could not."

"You can and shall, my dear child," the Queen insisted. "During the time that you were," she paused, looking for the right phrase, "being educated by your father, he and I have been apart. Now that you have been returned to me, I shall return to him and he and I will once again live together as husband and wife. I will remove my personal things, but my apartment is now yours."

"Then I accept, but I do not know the words, "husband and wife."

"When a man and woman love each other, she becomes his wife and he her husband. They remain together for the rest of their lives, which is called marriage. If, after they are married, they have a child, then the woman becomes a mother, as I am your mother, and the man a father, as the King is your father."

"I see," said the Princess. "When I become a bride, I will be married and have a husband."

"Yes," confirmed the Queen.

"And then I will become a mother, like you, when my husband and I have a child."

"No, I am afraid not," the Queen said with a sigh. "The magic will make you a bride, but you are not able to have children."

"I do not understand."

"Although you appear to be a girl, you are still a boy inside. A boy cannot have a child," the Queen explained.

"That does not seem fair," the Princess complained.

"No, it is not fair," the Queen agreed. "From what the fairies told us, magic does not follow the rules of our world. It works in its own way to carry out the spell and even they cannot predict what will happen, except that, because you were blessed, there will be a happy ending. What it will be, we will have to wait and see."

The Queens discourse on the vicissitudes of enchantments was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"That must be the royal tailor," the Queen assumed. "Enter."

The door opened and in came an older man with grey hair and a well trimmed mustache. He was dressed in dark blue wool knee breeches with a matching waistcoat fastened with silver buttons, underneath which was a white shirt with a high collar. Except for the waistcoat, his attire was similar to that of the Princess. In his hand, he carried a slate. When he saw the Queen, he dropped to one knee and bowed his head.

"Rise Master tailor," the Queen directed."

The tailor stood up and his gaze fell on Princess Charlene, who was still sitting on the couch, which blocked all but his view of her head.

"Please come here," the Queen requested.

As the Princess moved towards them, the Queen saw the tailor give her an approving look and then, taking in her clothes, dismay.

"Oh my, your Majesty, this cannot be. No, no, no. Such a beautiful girl dressed as a boy. How could such a thing happen?"

The Queen, although not having thought of that contingency, countered quickly, "I am afraid that there was an accident during the Princess' journey here and the wagon containing her personal belongings was lost."

Shaking his head, the tailor requested permission to approach the Princess and, it being granted, he proceeded to study her with professional scrutiny.

"I regret, your Majesty, that I have nothing suitable. All of the dresses in my shop are designed for the ladies of the Court, whose figures are, how shall I say," he gave a polite cough, "more mature, and, even with alterations, would not do for the Princess." The tailor thought for a moment. "There is a dress, however, that I just made for one of my daughters. I do believe it would fit the Princess, certainly better than what she is wearing, although it is hardly of the quality to which I am sure she is accustomed. I can fetch it straight away and undergarments too."

"That is most kind Master tailor," the Queen said graciously, "but I could not deprive your daughter of her dress. Perhaps just a shift and robe for sleeping and then tomorrow you can begin on her wardrobe."

"Deprive?" the tailor asked with a smile. "For the Princess to wear her dress would make Elisse the envy of every girl in the village. I am afraid that I would have no peace in my household, were she and my wife to learn that I had not persisted, with the greatest deference and respect, of course, your Majesty."

"Well then, we should not wish to promote discord in your family, Master tailor. Your daughter's gift is gratefully accepted, on one condition."

"As you command, your Majesty."

"It is not a command, it is a request. That she present it to the Princess."

"My daughter, Elisse, to come here, to give the dress to the Princess herself, your Majesty? Yes, of course she will accept your invitation. By your leave."

The Queen nodded and the tailor backed towards the door, bowing until he bumped into it, then, reaching behind himself, found the latch and hastily departed.

Princess Charlene looked at her mother.

"How wonderful. I shall meet a girl. Will she be like me?"

"She will look like you, my dear, but she shan't be like you. She is a girl by birth and you are a girl by magic. However, I am sure you will find you have many things in common. Would you like more tea and cake while we wait for the tailor and his daughter to return?"

"Yes please, Mother."

Chapter 3. Elisse

Considering that the tailor had to return to his shop to get the dress, go to the village to collect his daughter and return to the palace, he must have set a travel record, for there was a knock on the Queen's door before they had finished their refreshments.

"Enter."

As before, the tailor came in and bowed. Behind him in the shadow of the corridor, the Queen could see a girl with a bundle of clothes. She motioned for her to come forward and the girl hesitatingly moved into the room, shyly remaining behind her father. The Queen judged the girl to be fourteen or fifteen. She was petite, about the Princess' size, despite their age difference, with long dark hair tied back with a red ribbon, dark eyes and a pleasant face. It was obvious she had not had time to prepare herself, as she was in the white blouse and long grey skirt, both covered by an apron, worn by the village girls for doing their household chores. Nor, thought the Queen, could she have done so, since she probably had only the one dress. Princess Charlene rose, walked over and spoke to her.

"It is most kind of you to bring me your dress. As you can see, it will be much appreciated. May I have it?"

The girl timidly reached forward and handed the Princess the bundle, which she accepted.

Princess Charlene looked towards her mother, who was watching with amusement.

"You name is Elisse, is it not?" the Princess said pleasantly.

"Yes, if it please your Highness," the girl responded softly and dropped into a curtsey, a form of respect that the Princess had not seen before. She remained in that position with her eyes downcast.

"Elisse," the Princess continued, "I come from a far away kingdom and I am not familiar with your fashions," the second part of the statement being true. Would you please assist me in dressing?"

The Queen had not considered that her new daughter had never worn a dress before or the multiple layers of underclothes beneath it and would need assistance with the intricacies of feminine apparel. It seemed a practical request and she nodded her approval.

If being in the presence of the Queen was not enough, being asked to attend a princess was overwhelming. The poor girl couldn't move. The Princess, gently took her by the arm and guided her towards the bedroom. Coming to her senses, Elisse realized her breach of manners by allowing the Princess to carry the bundle of clothes, while she went empty handed. Gathering her courage, she politely requested its return. The Princess handed it to her and they disappeared into the bedchamber.

In the bedchamber, Elisse nervously opened the bundle and spread out the garments on the bed. She was too polite to question why the Princess was dressed as a boy and waited quietly while she began to undress. Having worked in her father's shop, she could not help but observe that the Princess was nicely proportioned and was sure that the dress would fit her. Anticipating the removal of the last of her clothes, Elisse turned to find a proper undergarment and, when she turned back, her eyes went wide and her mouth dropped open. The Princess, unaware of the difference between the sexes or the attendant modesty, was puzzled by the girl's reaction.

"What is wrong, Elisse?" she asked innocently.

Elisee, quickly regaining her composure, turned away.

"I am sorry, your Highness, I did not mean to be rude," she apologized. "It is just that, well, I was not prepared to see that you are not a girl."

"Oh dear," the Princess lamented, realizing that she had disclosed her secret, "how is it that you could tell."

"I do not understand, your Highness. Did you think that I would not know the difference? I am the second oldest in a family of six. I have two younger brothers, who I have helped raise. I can recognize boys' privates."

The Princess sighed.

"As you have discovered, Elisse, I am not who I seem. This all comes as a surprise to me as well, but, until today, I was kept apart from my mother and all females, because my father, the King, believed that by doing so, he could prevent an enchantment that was placed on me at birth, that, even though I was born a boy, I am to become a bride.

"I am sorry, your Highness," she said sincerely.

Returning to the task at hand, Elisse reached behind her and held out the undergarment.

"Please put this on, your highness. It is not proper for me to see you undressed."

The princess stepped into the pantaloons and tied a knot in the ribbon at the waist to hold them up.

"Shall I cover myself on top as well?" she asked.

Elisse turned.

"No, your Highness, from the waist up you are a girl," she explained.

Noticing the knot, Elisse approached the Princess.

"A bow would be much prettier, your Highness. May I tie one for you?"

"Your assistance would be appreciated, as I have no experience dressing myself as a girl, but I do not understand your words. What do 'pretty' and 'bow' mean?"

Undoing the knot and retying it, Elise explained, "pretty means pleasing to look at and is used to compliment a woman or a girl on her appearance. You are pretty, your highness," she said with a smile, "and a bow is a way of fastening a ribbon with two loops, so."

"I am sorry, Elisse. I did not mean to embarrass you. I thought that that it was the swellings on my chest that made me a girl, since mother and you have them too."

"The swellings are called 'breasts', your highness. Girls are not born with them, as I would think you were not. Little girls resemble boys in that regard. They grow as we get older, some larger, some smaller." Elisse looked down. "Mine are small, but shall get bigger, I hope. Yours, if I may be so bold, having worked in my father's shop and fitted many of the young ladies of the Court, are quite well developed for your age. There would be no doubt by those who saw you in a dress that you are a female."

"That is most comforting, Elisse. Perhaps we should complete my dressing, since I would not want the Queen to think anything is amiss."

Elisse obediently picked up a camisole and helped the Princess into it, again tying the ribbon at the neck in a bow. Next were black stockings, followed by a long white linen petticoat.

"A village girl does not dress as finely as the daughter of a lady and so my dress has only one petticoat. Your mother's dress and those of more fashionable design have many," Elisse explained. "However, having no experience as a girl, it may be easier for you to learn to manage your skirt in this."

Finally, Elisee held out the dress. It was of fine wool, pale blue in color, long sleeved, with a white bodice which defined the waist and accented the bust. The dress was slipped over the Princess' head and the bodice laced tight. Silk slippers completed the ensemble. Elisse approached the Princess and made some final adjustments, fussing with the skirt to fluff out the petticoat, smoothing the sleeves and retying the laces. She made a circle, inspecting how the dress hung in back. When she was finished, Elisse stood back and nodded her approval.

"You are ready, your Highness."

Princess Charlene turned to leave, then stopped.

"Elisse, it would be best if what you saw and what I told you was kept to yourself."

"On my oath, your Highness, your secret is safe with me."

Elisse moved forward to page the curtain. The Queen was at her desk, making a list of the clothes for the Princess. The tailor was watching attentively while she wrote. Both turned at the sound of the Princess entering and looked admiringly at the beautiful girl who appeared. Elisse had discreetly remained behind to gather up the old clothes.

"You have done well, master tailor," the Queen complimented him. "Simplicity suits the Princess. Let her not be bound," the Queen said with amusement at her pun, "by the fashion of the Court. Stays and corsets are a confinement she neither needs nor should suffer."

"Yes, your Majesty. It appears that Elisse's dress fits her well and needs little alteration. The tailor made some notes on his slate. I have the pattern and can have most of the items on your list by tomorrow."

"Please, do not set yourself to such a task," master tailor. "The princess can wear but one dress at a time. There is no hurry."

"Your Majesty, I could not rest knowing that the Princess lacks proper attire for every occasion. Should she wish to ride or entertain or dine in royal company, for her to have but one dress would be a breach of my duty as royal tailor that I could not abide. Your soldiers would gladly give their lives in your service. A night without sleep for me and my apprentices and a few dozen needle wounds are of no consequence."

"Well said, master tailor. You shall do me one additional task. Should any of the ladies of the Court complain of the delay in your completion of their commissions, you are to inform them that the Queen has commanded their attendance at the next royal function naked. Should they wish otherwise, they may petition for my favor."

Had the tailor not been constrained by his position, he would have burst out laughing. Looking around to compose himself, he saw that Elisse had entered and was waiting patiently.

"By your leave, your Majesty. Come Elisse, we have much work to do," her father told her as he bowed low and backed towards the door.

Elisse curtseyed to the Queen and followed.

"Please wait," the Princess spoke out.

Elisse and her father came to a halt.

"Mother, Elisse has been most helpful. You have said I may do as I wish and I wish her to remain with me."

The Queen gave the Princess a curious look and raised an eyebrow, suspecting that there was more to her request than just convenience.

"Master tailor, would you allow Elisse to join the royal household as handmaiden to the Princess? There would be a stipend of one gold crown a month for your loss of her services."

Both father and daughter were in shock. It was unheard of for a commoner to serve as the handmaiden to a lady of the Court, let alone a Princess, and a gold crown a month was a fortune for tailor who was lucky to end up with a few silver for a week's work. Nor did one refuse a royal appointment. The tailor bowed, signifying his approval.

The Queen turned to Elisse.

"Do you accept the position," she inquired.

"I do, your Majesty," she answered without hesitation.

"Then it is done. Would you wait outside for a moment, master tailor. I wish to speak with Elisse."

After the door closed, the Queen turned to Elisse and said sternly, "are you privy to the Princess' secret?

Elisse stood silent.

"Answer me or forfeit your life," the Queen threatened her.

Elisse remained silent, tears forming in her eyes, confirming the Queen's suspicion.

"Mother, no. Elisse has done no wrong," the Princess spoke in her defense. "It was I who exposed myself to her, knowing no better. She has sworn an oath to me and it would be unjust to punish her for honoring it."

The Queen's face softened and she smiled.

"I am sorry to have frightened you so, Elisse, but I needed to be sure of your loyalty. I am most pleased that my daughter has found herself a companion."

Elise dropped into a curtsey.

"Your Majesty, I am a simple village girl. I know nothing of life here in the palace. With the greatest respect, would the Princess not be served better by someone of noble birth?"

"The Princess would be served best by someone she can trust," the Queen replied. "Do you want the position?"

"With all my heart, your Majesty."

"Summon your father," the Queen directed.

Elise began to back towards the door.

"Wait, Elisse," the Queen told her. "I am sure I will be seeing a great deal of you and it serves no purpose for you to be constantly bobbing up and down and walking backwards when we are in private. In public, you will, of course, show the customary respect."

"Yes, your Majesty," Elisse answered, making a small dip.

She walked to the door, opened it and bid her father to enter.

"Master tailor, Elisse will have a room near the Princess. She may return with you to collect her things. Of course, she will also need a wardrobe suitable for her position."

Elisse's eyes went wide. Her house was comfortable, but modest, and she shared a straw filled mattress in the loft with her two sisters. The thought of moving to the palace and the luxury of her own room had never occurred to her, nor had she expected the exchange of one dress for many. What pleased her the most, however, and for which she would have gladly given up all the rest, was to devote herself to the enchanted boy for whom she felt such great compassion. She could not believe her good fortune.

The Queen went to a cupboard and took out a pouch, which she handed to the tailor. Here are twenty gold crowns, one year's wages for Elisse and an additional eight as an expression of our gratitude. I shall hear no protest. I will not destitute your family on our account and your dedication and generosity has served the Princess and me far better than you know. She smiled at Elisse who made a mini-curtsey in response, to the puzzlement of her father. The Queen opened a large gold box decorated with jewels and took out a ring which she strung on a gold chain.

"Mistress Elisse," the Queen addressed her as she would an adult, "this ring carries the royal coat of arms. It shows you to be under our protection, to possess it otherwise is an offense punishable by death, and gives you indisputable authority to carry out your duties, as well as entrance to the palace and command of the royal guards in the course of your service."

She walked over to Elisse, who bowed her head as the Queen fastened the chain around her neck.

"You may go," the Queen directed.

Elisse looked at the Queen, who nodded, confirming that she was permitted to dispense with formality, and walked to the door, opening it for her father, much to his astonishment. The two departed, closing the door behind them.

Chapter 4. A Whole New World.

"Are you angry with me?" the Princess asked her mother.

"After all of these years apart, there is nothing that you could do, my darling, that could ever make me cross with you and, in fact, I do like the girl," the Queen assured the Princess. "Besides, I am certain that this was not a coincidence, but the work of the magic in furthering its purpose, which I have learned through experience not to question. Now then, changing the subject, I must see your father and report to him the events that have taken place. My staff will begin to remove my personal belongings. This would be a good time to acquaint you with the palace library."

"I will do as you say, but what is a 'library', please, mother?"

"I am sorry, Charlene. I had forgotten your seclusion for all these years. A library is a place where books are kept."

"More books on geography and mathematics?"

"More books than you can imagine about everything in the world of which you know naught."

"Oh, mother, please. Let us hurry. I cannot wait to see such a wonderful place. May I read them all?"

"Even with your gifts, my sweet Princess, it will take you more than a day, but yes, they are yours to read as you will."

The Queen and the Princess left and walked through the palace, accompanied by the royal guards stationed outside her apartment, who had fallen in behind them.

"Mother, must these men accompany us? Are we in danger?"

"No, Charlene, the Kingdom is at peace and we are quite safe. Perhaps, in days gone by it was not so and the custom has continued. As you will come to understand, there are traditions that must be respected, of which one is to be escorted by the royal guards. Besides," the Queen asked provocatively, "do you not find them handsome?"

"In truth mother, I have grown up surrounded by men in uniform, who encouraged me to fight and to study ways in which to kill not one, but many. I have no fondness for those who make war."

The Queen pondered as to whether the Princess' aversion was to soldiers in particular or men in general. The Princess' tutors were adults, who were understandably formal when educating a Prince, even more so when carrying out the King's plan to prevent his son's feminization. Perhaps when Charlene was older, she would be attracted to young men. The magic would see to it when the time came for her to be a bride, the Queen expected.

When they reached the library, they paused as one of the guards came forward to open the door for them, bowing as they passed and taking up a position at the entrance with his companion, after they entered. The Queen motioned to the librarian, who quickly approached her, stopping at a respectable distance and kneeling.

"Master librarian, this is my adopted daughter, Princess Charlene of Dalmacia. She has come here to assume the place of the Prince, who has been living there and unfortunately is too frail to make the journey home," the Queen announced, starting the story to explain the Princess' sudden appearance that would be spread quickly by palace gossip.

The Queen turned to the Princess to see her amazed expression at the thousands of books which lined the walls of the library from floor to ceiling.

"Truly, mother, it shall take me more than a day to read them all," the Princess agreed.

"I must be off," the Queen told the Princess, "but you may remain."

"Attend me," the Queen directed the royal guards, in deference to the Princess' dislike of the military. "The Princess is quite safe here," she assured them.

After the Queen departed, the Princess addressed the librarian, who was still bowed down before her.

"Rise, Master librarian," she directed him.

The librarian stood up, although averting his eyes from the Princess.

Making the best of the situation, the Princess inquired, "Are the books arranged in some order?"

"Yes," your Highness, "all of the books on the same subject are together in alphabetical order by title. Should you require one, I shall get it for you. We have quite a selection of poetry and stories which you might find entertaining."

"Master librarian," the Princess rebuked him, "I am here to learn. What books do you have about women?"

"Women, your Highness? I regret we have none, as that has not been a matter of scholarly interest."

"Then do you have books about sex?" the Princess inquired naively, remembering one of the words her mother had used in reference to women, although not in the context in which the librarian took it.

Caught in the dilemma of how to respond to a question by a Princess about a subject that was not spoken of in polite company, let alone to a child, the librarian stammered, "Not as such, your Highness. We have books about animal breeding, but not about people, as such writing would not be proper."

"Misinterpreting the librarian's answer, the Princess replied, "I shall start with those. Bring them to me."

The librarian hesitated.

"If you would like to seek the Queen's permission, I can send for her," the Princess threatened the librarian, although it was not in her nature to truly cause him trouble.

The librarian, concluding that discretion was the better part of valor in this instance, invited the Princess to a seat at a long oak table and hurried off to find the books. He returned after a few minutes holding four volumes. He placed the books before the Princess and backed away.

When he reached a respectful distance, he explained to the princess, "these are about breeding horses. Two are in our language, one is in Dalmacian and one is in Crinthish. You did not specify, so I brought them all. We have three more volumes on cattle breeding, one of which is in Silasian, and two on poultry breeding, both in our language. Do you want them too?"

"No, these will be sufficient for now. You may return to your duties," the Princess told him.

The Princess opened the first book in the stack and found it was the one in Dalmacian. Although she had learned the language conversationally, she had never seen it written. Many of the words were familiar, but some were not and she quickly put it aside. From the time she had been old enough to sit in a saddle, she had been trained in horsemanship, one of the few outdoor activities she enjoyed, and so the book in her own language was understandable. However, it only described the characteristics of different breeds and was of no interest to her. The other book in her language did, however, have anatomical illustrations of male and female horses. Comparing the stallion to the mare, the Princess understood how it was that Elisse easily recognized her as a boy, although the book assumed that anyone breeding horses would be familiar with mating them, so the functional part of the difference remained a mystery.

The Princess could have completed her education by consulting medical texts, had she known such books existed or had she understood that the difference between males and females was more than visual. Then again, what she had just learned was sufficient for her present needs. Rather than read more about livestock, the Princess decided to correct the all male history of the kingdom which she had been taught. She beckoned to the librarian, who quickly approached and assumed the customary respectful position.

"Are there books about the history of this kingdom?" she asked him.

"Only one, your Highness. It is in many volumes, each chronicling the reign of one king, from the first until the present, although the last volume is, of course, incomplete," the librarian explained. "Long live King Henry," he added as a precaution.

"Does this history include the Queens?"

"I have not read it, so I do not know for certain, but I would expect there to be a reference to the kings' mothers when tracing their lineage," the librarian speculated, his answer reflecting his traditional chauvinistic view of women's role in society.

The Princess asked him to bring her the first volume.

"I apologize, your Highness, but those books are locked away."

"Do you have the key?"

"Yes, your Highness, but I do not have authority to open the vault."

"Who does?"

"Only the King and the Chamberlain, your Highness."

"What about the Queen?"

"The Queen, your Highness, for what reason?"

"Must the Queen have a reason to be obeyed?"

"No, your Highness," the librarian conceded.

"Must I?" the Princess challenged him.

Pausing to consider the certainty of being punished for his refusal to obey a royal command, as compared to the possibility of being punished for his compliance, the librarian reluctantly agreed.

"No, your Highness, I will get the book for you. By your leave."

The Princess dismissed him and the librarian backed away.

While she was waiting for him to return with the book, the Princess decided to explore the library. As she was examining one of the shelves, the door opened and an old man entered. He had white hair, a bushy white beard and was dressed in black robes and a soft cap, which she recognized from her own teachers as the garb of a scholar. He paid no attention to the plainly dressed girl and went to one of the shelves, selected a book and sat down at the table. The Princess, inquisitive by nature, went over and greeted him.

"I do not wish to be disturbed. Go away," he said brusquely.

The Princess, noticing that he had a Norvigian accent, spoke to him in that language.

Just then, the librarian returned with the precious first volume of the royal history, which he nearly dropped when he saw the seated figure before the Princess. He rushed over and admonished the man.

"Sir, have you no respect. Kneel before Princess Charlene," doing so himself.

The man, realizing his serious breach of etiquette and the serious consequences of insulting a member of the royal family, slid off his seat and onto his knees.

"Forgive me, your Highness. I was not aware that this kingdom had a Princess and meant no offense," he hastily apologized. "I am Cedric de Gothsburg and I have journeyed here to study philosophy."

"In truth, there was not a princess of this kingdom until today and it was I who spoke to you. Under the circumstances, your mistake is understandable and your apology is accepted." the Princess said with a reassuring smile."

"You are most gracious, you Highness. May I be of service?"

"You can explain philosophy to me, Master Cedric, as my education has been lacking in certain respects."

"I expect that you were not troubled with learning philosophy, because the reasoning required is complicated and serves women naught in their domestic endeavors, your Highness" Cedric replied, thinking himself to have artfully excused the Princess from having to trouble her pretty head.

To his amazement, the Princess disagreed.

"I am not aware of any difference between men and women by reason of which one would be less than the other," an observation which, unbeknownst to the scholar, the Princess was uniquely qualified to make.

Knowing better than to argue with a Princess, the scholar expounded on the subject, expecting that the girl would soon become bored, allowing him to get off his knees, which were beginning to ache from contact with the cold stone floor, and return to his studies.

"Philosophy, your Highness," he lectured, "is the use of reason and logic to explain the natural world. For example, as I had said, philosophy teaches us that women, by their nature and constitution, are suited to being mothers and wives, and men, by their strength and wit, to provide and protect them. The proof is that babies have a natural affinity for their mothers and women have no aptitude for war," the scholar concluded authoritatively.

"Perhaps so, master scholar, or perhaps babies recognize the sensibility of their mothers in remaining safely at home and the foolishness of their fathers in risking their lives to kill those with whom they have no quarrel for a cause of which they know naught. Have philosophers so inquired of them?"

"Your Highness, none can speak to a baby."

"And so, you do not know for certain."

The scholar suddenly realized that he was losing a philosophical debate with a child, although taking some comfort that she was a princess, and, anxious to get up, as well as recognizing the political benefit of humoring her, agreed.

"There must be more to philosophy than that of which we have spoken and I would also like to practice my Norvigian. Would you visit me tomorrow afternoon for tea and cake? I had it with my mother, the Queen, this morning and it was quite tasty."

"Me, your Highness? Come to visit? Tomorrow afternoon? For tea and cake?" sputtered the astonished philosopher. "Yes, of course. Thank you, your Highness."

Returning her attention to the table, the Princess declared, "the librarian has brought me a special book which I wish to read. You may return to your studies as well."

As the Princess opened the book's black leather cover with an elaborate gold royal crest, she noticed that Cedric remained kneeling. The Princess looked down at him.

"You may rise, Cedric."

"I cannot, your Highness, for it would not be proper for me to stand while you are seated or to sit in your presence, as I now know better."

"I see. Well, I cannot remove the royal history book. It was most difficult to persuade the librarian to get it for me and I am sure that he would be most distraught, if I made off with it. However, I do not see why you cannot borrow a lesser book."

The Princess beckoned to the librarian, who hurried over and joined the scholar on his knees.

"It seems that none can use the library when I am here and here I must remain to read this book. Therefore, Cedric shall take out his book."

The librarian's eyes went wide.

"You Highness, please, it is not permitted."

"Have we not already had this conversation?" the Princess reminded the librarian. "On my order, you shall make a record of the book and Cedric shall give his pledge to return it. As it is the property of the King, I am sure he understands the consequences, should he not keep his word. As I expect to spend a great deal of time here, this will allow those who wish to use the library not to be inconvenienced."

Having learned the futility of arguing with the Princess, the librarian conceded, creating the first lending library. The scholar gratefully accepted the offer, signed the paper, thanked the Princess, and backed towards the door with his book.

The Princess returned to her reading. Of greatest interest was the complete story of how the four fairies came to be the protectors of King Harold's descendants, bestowing on his heirs those gifts, but one, which she received. Perhaps, the Princess thought, smoothing her skirt and feeling the softness of her petticoat against her legs, she had gotten the better blessing.

TO BE CONTINUED

up
41 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Intriguing

I think I can see where this is going but I'm quite good at being wrong so I'll just keep reading. A very well-written tale which I am quickly finding addictive.

Susie

Aye

'Tis a fine tale you tell Lassie.

Apologies. I hope the next chapter is available soon, I don't wanna havta wait!

Melanie E.

A lovely story that seems to

A lovely story that seems to have a princess who is going to do some changing of the rules (for the better) around the kingdom without realizing she is doing so. Waiting for the next chapter, Hugs, J-Lynn

This Tale Gets Better and Better !

Oh Missy, I love this tale ! I only just discovered it, when after reading your latest one, I decided to look up if you had any other wee masterpieces to enjoy, which I have now found that you have !

I am only on pt 2, about to start pt 3, and I can foresee how having an intelligent part woman part boy is going to shake up this medieaval society with its stupid neglect and oppression of the more intelligent and caring half of its population already !

This promises to be a whole lot of fun. Thank you Missy, for creating and sharing such a tale for us all.

Briar