The Visit - Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

The visit.jpg

Chapter 11

Back in his room Robert required the assistance of Polly to undress and she told him that she’d very impressed by Mr Arthur who was very well mannered as well as being attentive to Roberta. She had the impression that this was a relationship that would end in a marriage proposal and pictured a brood of young children that made Robert cough a little and then brought a broad smile to his face. He imagined what Adele would say and was excited to tease her the following day.

Polly also had the news that Aunt Roberta had requested that Polly’s sister and husband be asked to assist her with her duties whilst Roberta was staying since her workload had increased and she hoped to encourage them to dine with her oftenly.

By the time Robert was changed and slipping between the sheets of his bed he was ready to sleep and he barely had the strength to say goodnight as Polly left. He’d had quite a day and Adele had been very impressed at his portrayal as a young woman and the reaction of Aunt Roberta who seemed to dote on him/her.

Adele had left the house full of optimism that together they’d come closer together and she had quite enjoyed her extended day as Arthur and the femininity of Robert that made her feel stronger and more confident in her guise since it was never in doubt throughout the day. Added to that she had found new information from Aunt Roberta over dinner that might give useful background on her grandfather.

Possibly this may lead her and Robert establish who had been the love of Aunt Roberta’s early life and how she’d become successful and accumulated her wealth. For Roberts benefit she hoped it might eventually bring Aunt Roberta and Roberts father back together as a family that could also give Robert more security and ability to be independent and free of debt.

The following morning Robert had no hesitation in alighting from his bed and opening the curtains to let in the early morning sunlight. As Polly entered the room he was stretching and standing on tiptoes feeling like he could dance. Polly remarked about his slender profile and sun glinting in his hair that brought joy to his ears. He had always been embarrassed by his lack of stature and muscle but in this house he felt special and different.

Early morning procedures in the bedroom followed the same path as the day before with Polly running a bath and selecting a morning outfit suitable for breakfast and taking air in the garden with Aunt Roberta. Soon Robert was settled at the breakfast table with Aunt Roberta for a light meal of cold meats, bread and fruit. Aunt Roberta looked ten years younger and was very talkative so it was another opportunity to gather information about her early life in London and the lost relationship with a handsome man. He did indeed come from Bristol going by the first name of William.

Finally as they strolled in the garden Robert managed to switch conversation back to the picture over the fireplace and the infant in the ladies arms who Aunt Roberta had admitted was her. Aunt Roberta went quiet and only said they were young and innocent and the child was beautiful but had not had the chance to enjoy the life she deserved because of family hatred and manipulation.

Robert knew that William had been forced to marry another woman instead of his Aunt Roberta and had died tragically or surrounded by mystery. But he’d set up a business with Aunt Roberta and she confirmed that he maintained regular contact and the business had been very successful. It seemed that this caused a lot of anger and jealousy back in Bristol and that Aunt Roberta believed that William had been killed in a fight over her and then it had been covered up.

Robert was definitely now accepted as a close confident whilst presenting as Roberta and he was feeling very comfortable presenting as a young woman whilst with Aunt Roberta and Polly. He wanted to ask more questions but he decided it was better to be patient and develop the full trust of Aunt Roberta.

During their discussions a message had been delivered from Mr Arthur advising that he would call for Robert at 11-30 am inviting him for lunch at the Club. Adele wanted them to exchange thoughts and opinions about what they’d learned from Aunt Roberta the night before and now Robert had more to add. Robert(a) told Aunt Roberta that she/he had a lunch invitation and was excused to ready him/herself.

Robert met Polly upstairs in his room and felt somewhat reluctant to change but he had no choice since he was going out and furthermore they were dining again at the Club. Once again he felt his male clothes made him feel shabby compared to the outfits he had at his disposal as a young woman. His disappointment was noticed by Polly who asked why she was dressing as a man again when Mr Arthur had been overwhelmed at her beauty the night before. Robert preferred to stay silent and it wasn’t Polly’s place to follow up her question.

When Adele arrived they dallied in the reception room since Adele wanted to look again at the pictures and establish the name of Aunt Roberta’s suitor. When Robert arrived she looked him up and down a smiled advising that she’d called to collect his sister. They shook hands but wanted to hug and had to be content by looking into each others eyes. Then Polly entered with her sister who was introduced and despatched to serve them some sherry. Aunt Roberta had taken a rest in her room much to the relief of Robert since he’d changed.

Robert took the opportunity to ask Polly about the man in the picture over the fire place referring to him as William as advised by his Aunt. Polly felt she could answer without fear of reprimand since Roberta knew his first name. His name was William James Hudson and Adele’s eyes lit up immediately since she recalled the Hudson family had connection to her grandfather and was a possible investor in the club and a business acquaintance.

They quickly consumed their sherry and departed the house to board the awaiting taxi carriage. They held on to each other and Adele couldn’t control herself any longer and stretched over to kiss Robert full on the lips. It was a long passionate kiss seemingly between two young men but clearly fully committed with great affection.

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

All I can say...

Mantori's picture

... is that it just gets better and better.

Thank you.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Totally agree

Christina H's picture

This story slowly is getting better and better, you are building the characters perfectly and
the tension of the 'problems' at the Gentleman's Club and the unconventional romance between
Robert(a) and Mr Arthur is fascinating and building nicely.
And we are getting spoiled to a posting a day - please don't burn yourself out thinking that you
have to keep to any schedule but if the story is flowing then let it flow.

Christina

Burn Out

Hi Christina,
No I'm not at risk of burn out the reason for regular postings is a combination of things.
First I had a long time of silence and second I get criticised for not finishing stories so I was hurt. That made me focus on this story and follow it through to show that I try my best. Of course the profile of members will have changed since I posted my first story and I'd never had any experience of writing. I did it for personal enjoyment and I don't expect anything back except a few hits and the occasional kudos. I tend to judge my stories on my ability to have a thousand hits and maybe 30 or so Kudos. Some stories flow easily and others can go in several directions. As several readers noticed my multi chapter stories can have cliff-hangers or leaving the reader interested enough to follow to the next chapter. Sometimes I react to comments and sometimes I think about alternative options trying to avoid stories petering to nothing. I suppose I could sit and write a full story and then break it up to chapters but I prefer to reflect on what I've written and change direction occasionally. I have a few stories that I posted that are favourites that received good hits and high kudos. I go back and read them sometimes and can't believe I've written them. For this story I have found it easier to keep writing. Thanks so much.

Jules

May I appologise...

Mantori's picture

... because I was probably one of the people who did say a few things about your incomplete stories.

It is only because you write in such an engaging way that the reader really feels shortchanged when there is no ending.

I have probably read 5 or 6 of your incomplete stories of which 'A Change in Lifestyle' I would really like to see come to a satisfactory ending.

I am not a writer of prose, but I have published a collection of poetry and have another that is roughly finished, but not edited. So I know the feeling of being creatively blocked.

I am sorry if I in any way hurt or discouraged you in your writing. But your writing is really addictive and it is really painful in a way to be held captive in a world of wonder, created by you, that remain unfinished.

'The Visit' that you are revisiting now, is proof to me that your stories can only be elevated by continuations and eventual endings.

Thank you so so much for doing it with this one.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

No need to apologise

Hi,
I don't worry about comments that make valid complaint about incomplete stories and took yours as positive not negative. Your comments haven't hurt me and most similar comments have been taken as a constructive and an appeal to change. I get hurt because on many occasions I want to complete them but life has got in the way and I lose my passion and motivation to write. We all have distractions like that but I reached a stage where it was like an acrobat spinning lots of plates on top of sticks and sometimes a few fall off. You motivated me to focus on this story and to try to keep regular chapters posted. I feel that I lost the confidence of many readers that hurts more than anything. Thanks for your support.

Jules

I am glad...

Mantori's picture

... if some of what I have said about your amazing writing have motivated you in any way.

And just know that as long as BC is up and running and I have access to the internet, YOU have a devoted fan in me.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill