The Visit - Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

The visit.jpg

Chapter 12

On arrival at the Club Adele and Robert were welcomed by the commissionaire who recognised them immediately from the day before. Adele smiled and was pleased she’d tipped him generously that she knew would ensure that he was discreet and helpful if she needed information. He opened the large door of the Club greeting Adele as Mr Arthur that made her proud of her achievement to enter the exclusive world of London Gentlemen. He hadn’t remembered Roberts name that didn’t cause any offence since he was hardly likely to be a frequent visitor. He could see how much such a small thing meant to Adele that made him proud.

Signing in at Reception was easier than the day before but the attendant chatted to Adele who he had seen a number of times in the Club. As Robert stood back and tried to be as invisible as possible the two of them were joking about something. The attendant nodded in the direction of Robert and Robert then had the feeling he had been the subject of the mirth. As they took their seats in the lounge to relax before taking lunch Robert asked Adele what had caused the levity. Adele couldn’t contain herself and burst into laughter since the staff had been convince that Robert was an interloper but had been discreet because Mr Arthur was one of the shareholders of the Club.

It appeared they hadn’t missed the close bond in the private room and the fact that the bed had been disturbed and slightly soiled. What made Adele laugh was that they didn’t question her masculinity but felt that Robert was female masquerading as a young business colleague of Mr Arthur. Robert was speechless for a few moments before acknowledging that he had found it difficult to recover his masculinity and revert back to himself the day before. He was experiencing the same feeling again.
Adele on the other hand was spending all her time in male garb whilst in London and relished the opportunity to do as she pleased and not have to deal with fraternisation and lude comments. She enjoyed stretching out her legs and sitting with them apart or loosely crossed when relaxing and not being constrained by a corset or forced to sit on the edge of a seat with a straight back. She whispered to Robert that he should venture outside his Aunt’s house as Roberta to experience what she was trying to explain.

Then whilst Robert thought about it and was ready to respond she appeared lost in thought for a moment or two and he realised she wasn’t interested in his answer. Adele had already made a decision and she decided to plan something where Robert would accompany her to a social event of mixed company the next day. She imagined that Robert would be able to dress appropriately and perhaps she might convince him to stay over at her apartment with his Aunts permission. If indeed that was necessary. It would be a test of Roberts true desires and her own for that matter. They’d enjoyed themselves so far hadn’t they?

Robert finally managed to catch the attention of Adele and bring her out of her reverie. Adele apologised and humoured Robert for a while trying to pay attention. He was trying to make a plan for the rest of the day and establish if Adele would join him and his Aunt Roberta for dinner later. Aunt Roberta had pressed her niece Roberta at breakfast since she took a liking for Mr Arthur and felt they seemed very happy in each others company.

Adele accepted the invitation and said that she would arrange to send a messenger boy back to the house with acceptance so that Polly could prepare dinner in good time. She left Robert seated with a newspaper attempting to appear as masculine as he could considering his small frame and tendency to sit forward on the large leather chair with legs crossed.

Adele made the message arrangement with the reception attendant and then took the opportunity to request to see the Club’s manager to arrange a meeting for after lunch in his office. The manager was much older than Adele and had worked at the Club for a long time starting as young boy so Adele felt he would have god knowledge of its history and her Grandfather in particular. Adele had not met him before since women were not allowed to visit but now as Arthur she had her chance. A meeting might prove awkward without proof she was related to her grandfather but she was a full member that had been arranged by her grandfather and had evidence in her pocket with her membership details and a signature so she expected this to be checked.

The Manager, Mr Ramsbottom, did check the membership details and agreed to meet for an hour at 2 pm. Adele finally returned to Robert who had taken the opportunity to close his eyes and was almost asleep. She approached him quietly from behind his chair and leaned over to kiss him on top of his head. He awoke immediately in slight shock feeling embarrassed in case their affection had been seen but the room was quiet. Then they moved through to the dining area for a light lunch of vegetable soup followed by fresh salmon fish and potatoes. Robert was not very hungry but made an attempt out of politeness. Adele cleared her plates not having had breakfast.

Robert was conscious of his appearance and requested that they visit a tailor and a draper so that he might make some modest purchases and establish the cost and time required to improve his wardrobe. Adele had no hesitation in agreeing to introduce him to her favoured establishments who had been discreet and provided an excellent service whilst keeping a record of her measurement details for future visits. She had already accumulated a good range of outfits that she kept at her apartments and she offered to help by allowing Robert to try them on if he visited her there later. Robert was a little apprehensive but nodded and smiled since it made financial sense. Adele thought it would be a chance to be intimate together and it seemed a good excuse. She intended to help Robert select and purchase items anyway since she had a more than adequate income as well as her inheritance.

As lunch finished Adele asked Robert if he would excuse her and mind resting alone in the lounge whilst she met with Mr Ramsbottom. He felt hurt and excluded but he understood what Adele was trying to do and it wasn’t really his business. Or was it? He wanted to find out more about his Aunts business relationship with William Hudson and based on what he had understood this person had a link to the Club.

up
95 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you as always for a new

Mantori's picture

Thank you as always for a new chapter.

:-)

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill