Model Makers 5: Adjustments part one

Printer-friendly version
Model makers BCTS cover.jpg


ADJUSTMENTS

As chief executive officer for Commercial Technologies, Bill Chambers usually spent his day making internal memos and playing golf with executives from other companies. Every time an article made the news Bill always made sure he was mentioned as the driving force behind Commercial Technologies. He would pose for pictures with various dignitaries or company personnel when the public relations department was promoting the company or one of the departments. The day to day workings of Commercial Technologies, Bill left to the lesser personnel of the company. Karl Adder was one of those lesser personnel.

More than any other person in Comm Tech, Karl took a keen interest in the mannequins Karen Long was designing in her department. It wasn’t with admiration, it was greed that drove Karl. He told every one who would listen, he was personally responsible for each new development coming out of department fifty-four. He followed Karen's progress as she imparted more and more real life qualities in each successive generation of her models. After Karen’s models began gaining company recognition, Karl worked toward getting appointed head of her department. That way, instead of being indirectly responsible for the accolades Karen received for her exceptional work, he could take all the glory for himself.

What Karl couldn't understand was, every time he thought he was close to being appointed to head of Karen’s department, something would happen to thwart him in his efforts. He was sure no woman could be smart enough to outmaneuver him. He was also positive he deserved the credit for all the quality craftsmanship flowing from department fifty-four. Karen was his protégé. After all, Karl had interviewed her and hired her seventeen years ago. The fact he knew nothing about computer engineering, laser technology, or any of the other things necessary to make Karen's lab function, was irrelevant. Women had only one purpose, they were placed on this earth to serve men. Karen should be serving him.

It was after eight o'clock, and the traffic in and out of conference room two was heavy. There was a buzz going on throughout the whole complex about Karen's latest model. In a building which was usually a quiet work place still cameras and video cameras were more abundant than anyone would have thought possible. Rumors were running wild and it didn't take long for the public relations department to sense something above the ordinary was cooking. They decided to send someone down to conference room two for a first hand look.

Today, Mike was away from his desk when the public relations department picked someone to check on the latest gossip. Mike didn't have a chance to protest this assignment before it was handed to him. He hated these assignments. Rumors like this usually began in the snack bar, and were about as substantial as fog in the morning. Almost every rumor was a ghost chase. He didn't feel like walking all the way down to conference room two to look at the model, who wasn't human but was a mannequin. After all, if you've seen one dummy you've seen 'em all.

Mike didn't have to open the doors into conference room two. People were coming and going and the doors were propped open. More were coming than going. Searching past the crowd he scanned the room for the cause of the traffic jam, he noticed everyone was looking at, or taking pictures of, one incredibly beautiful, attractive, woman. She was posing in the middle of the room. Mike was impressed, but he was looking for the mannequin. As part of public relations, he had taken his share of cheese cake photos. Yet ...? He couldn't keep his attention from focusing back to the model. Finally, slowly, he understood. Maybe ...? No, no way, it couldn't be possible.

He turned to the secretary beside him. "The model is real, isn't she? I mean she is one of us, isn't she? What I mean is, that isn't the dummy is it?"

Admiring Karen's talented handiwork, the secretary glanced at Mike, and then back to the model. "I don't know. But I will tell you this much, if she is real then she is terribly good, because she hasn't moved in the past couple of minutes. If she isn't human, then she is terribly good because I’m still wondering myself. She‘s too beautiful to be real. No one can look that good. Can they?"

Mike picked up the nearby phone off the table. "Linda, connect me with public relations."

It only took a second for him to get his connection. "Jerry, this is Mike. I want you to get our equipment, and people, down to conference room two, right now."

He only paused for a second. "I don't give a shit if you’re in the middle of a layout. What you’re doing can wait. I’m telling you, what I’m looking at right now, will blow your mind. That is provided you had one to lose. Now, get your shit together and get your ass down here, and don't give me any more static."

Turning around to take another look, he was still trying to convince himself he had actually seen it and it was still there. The model was standing there poised with one hand on her hip and the other slightly raised, as if she was talking to the people around her. She was so real, it was eerie not to see her lips moving.

"I’m looking at her, and I don't believe it myself. You don't deserve to feast your eyes on this. If you don't want to haul any equipment, you send Patti and the rest of the guys. I’m not begging you to look at this. You prima donna SOB." Mike slammed the receiver down. He knew Jerry would be mad as a hornet after he hung up. He was also sure Jerry wouldn't remember how mad he was supposed to be when he got a chance to look at what was in room two.

Gazing out the window, Bill was trying to decide if it was too early to play a round of golf? He swiveled around as he heard the office door open. Betty was coming into his office without knocking. It surprised him. As his private secretary for the past six years, she had never walked into his office unannounced before now.

"Mr. Chambers, I think you need to check on conference room two. There is something there you better see for yourself."

"Betty, you know I hate to get caught up in these little interoffice bickerings that are always going on. What is it now? Someone riffle through another person's desk and take their Playboy Calendar?"

Betty wasn't smiling at him like she usually did. "I don't think you understand. This certainly isn’t any interoffice bickering. It is a work project one of our labs did for a customer. I know you will want to take a look at it."

Bill didn't like the sound of this. "What lab was it? What did they screw up this time? Has the customer seen it yet?"

That brought a smile to Betty's face. "It was our human form replica lab. You know the one. The lab Karl Adder has been wanting to get his hands on. I don't think 'screw up' are the words which apply to this job. Public relations is setting up equipment down there. The customer hasn't seen it yet. You may want to look at this project before he does. You might also want to check out his contract and see if it is solid before he shows up. I ran it through the computer a second ago. He has already put up his forty thousand. I don't believe we would have sold this one so cheap, or for that matter, sold it at all, if we had seen the model first."

Bill had to admit his curiosity had been pricked. He had never seen anything he wouldn't sell for a price. After all, they were in the business of selling technology. If one of their labs did something a little better than anyone else, it would only be a matter of time before the competition caught up.

"Well then, let's have a look at this 'model' you say everyone is talking about."

They had to press through the crowd at the door of conference room two, to get into the room. Even when the employees saw who was doing the pushing, they gave space reluctantly.

Astounding stories of success were an everyday event to Bill. As chief executive officer, he had access to everything planned, or in the works at Commercial Technologies. He didn't pay much attention to most of the projects. Usually, most of the hype about something unusual was for the competition's benefit. It kept them on their toes. It also made the competition spend vast sums of money on industrial espionage figuring out what Comm Tech was doing. Bill kept abreast of the more newsworthy ideas. He made certain he was promoted in one way or another, along with the important projects. Most were public relations bull shit and media hype, used to help promote Comm Tech research and development. He was use to it all. Except this! He took a long time studying the woman in the center of the room. Finally he decided someone wasn't trying to give him a snow job by using a real person.

"One of our labs did this?"

When she heard the gossip as she came to work, Betty had purposely made a detour through conference room two. Now, looking at the model again for the second time that morning, she was still impressed. "Karen Long made her down in the replica lab. She has been improving on her models with each new batch. I pulled her records up through the computer. I didn't understand anything I was looking at. She is one of our computer engineers. Everything she does is in code. I don't know if anyone except her could figure out what she is doing."

Bill looked at the people around him. Cameras were clicking and video film was being exposed. Betty was right in getting him down here. This was going to be a good public relations story and he was right where he should be. At the center of the story telling the whole world how he, Bill Chambers, was responsible for this new model.

"Betty, see what you can do with this crowd. We have a company to run. I know these people have jobs they should be doing."

In the next company newsletter, Bill would make sure they read how he directed the program which produced this new model. The stockholders needed to be kept informed of the good job he was doing in this company. He would make certain none of them missed the newsletter.

Betty picked up the desk phone and pushed the intercom. "Everyone besides public relations, please return to work. All personnel headed toward conference room two, go back to your own departments. Security to conference room two."

With a lot of reluctance, the crowd packed into and outside conference room two, began to disperse.

Karen had been sitting quietly at her desk, looking off in a mindless stare. She had stopped crying but hadn't said anything for the past half hour. Henry, with the patience of Job, quietly waited for her to collect her thoughts and get control of her feelings. As no one else could, he understood what she was feeling. He had silently cried along with her. Karen designed and programmed a lot of herself into him.

Very seldom were messages important enough to address the whole plant. Usually, only one department, or one section of the building, was on the receiving end of a public announcement. In spite of her problems, Karen absentmindedly listened as Betty gave her speech over the telephone intercom. "What was that all about?"

It worried him she had been quiet for so long. Henry was relieved she was talking again. If she would discuss this, the depression she was feeling would work its way out of her system,. Since it concerned her, she also needed to be aware of what was happening in the building. "I finished the duplicate last night, or more correctly, early this morning. I knew I couldn't let shipping pick her up down here if Bob Kincaid was along. After I ordered some clothes and accessories for her, I had Maggie dress her. Shipping moved her up to conference room two, and everything was set up. Carl, one of our company salesman, and Bob were to meet in the conference room. The deal should have been quietly and routinely completed."

"With you missing and questions asked about your latest model, it wouldn't have done for an investigation into your lab. I could keep them out, but only for so long before things got ugly. I made up a sick leave absentee slip for you, but you showed up before I posted it in personnel. Maybe I should have filed it anyway. You wouldn't have to talk to anyone today. Things didn't go as planned. It seems Maggie and, or, shipping decided to tell everyone about your model this morning. Before Bob and Carl got together and signed the contract, the conference room became the focus of every one's attention. Now, the whole building is trying to get into room two and view your latest creation."

Karen moaned aloud, as she put her elbows on the desk, and rested her forehead in her palms. "It's not fair! What else can go wrong?"

"I wish you hadn't asked. They’re about to ask you to come up so they can take pictures of you along with your work."

Her head snapped up. "WHAT! I can't be seen like this. I look exactly like the model they want me to pose with. I can see it all now. Unauthorized person sneaks in and duplicates herself. Karen Long missing, assumed murdered by intruder who duplicated herself in the Comm Tech Model Lab."

The phone was ringing and Henry answered it without lifting it off the hook. Karen needed to hear both sides of the conversation so he put it on the speaker. It surprised Karen to hear herself answer the phone. She knew he could digitize the human speech pattern and replicate anyone's voice, but it was still amazing to hear one's own self say something they hadn't really said.

"Lab Fifty Four, this is Karen Long speaking."

"Listen Karen, this is Bill Chambers. I want you to come up for a few publicity photos. We like your work. I thought public relations could get some mileage out of it. You know I like the company to present a good image to the public. I follow every one's career very closely. I like to commend everyone when they are doing good work. We certainly want to show our appreciation to our employees, by giving them their deserved recognition for their outstanding work. It's a great moral booster to all our employees, when one of their own does an exceptionally good job."

For the past year, I have considered asking public relations to spotlight your work and your career, at Commercial Technologies. Because I gave you the opportunity to work at your own pace, you have come through and done some pretty remarkable things. This last model, I gave you the equipment to design, was exceptional. I think it is about time you told everyone how much we have done for you and your career, here at Commercial Technologies.

If Henry had a tongue to stick out, he would have. He knew old Bill didn't follow any one's career except his own. Bill grudgingly consented to the purchase of any equipment, unless, you were on his pet list. In the beginning, Karen had to beg, borrow, and steal equipment from every department just to equip her own department. If it was left to Bill, she would still be waiting for equipment. Provided she hadn't given up waiting and gone to work someplace else. Henry kept his comments to himself as Bill continued.

"Karen, I want all the stock holders to know about you. You have been provided an opportunity to become an achiever since you came to work for Comm Tech. We will let them and the public, know about the benefits of working for an exceptional company like ours. We will tell them what we do here. Some of the public believe all we do is turn rats into monsters in our research laboratories."

"Bill, I can't right now. I think I’m running a fever and have the stomach flu or something like it. I’m running to the bathroom to puke my guts out every couple of minutes."

Karen winced, puke her guts out? Where in the world did Henry come up with such language? "Henry, keep it ladylike. I’m a woman. Or haven't you noticed?"

Even though Henry never lifted the phone off the hook, he scolded her. "Hush, you want them to hear two Karen’s arguing down here?"

Karen laughed at him. "You electronic nut. You think you’re the only one who understands how electrical circuits work?"

Dropping the phone down by his leg, Bill turned to Betty. "She says she is sick and running to the bathroom every few seconds. Pull her file. Let's see who we’re talking to."

Lowering her head and closing her eyes, Karen shook her head. She heard Bill's conversation with Betty. After working for this company for the past fifteen years, she was still a nobody. She ran her own department, did all the design, installation, and production in her department, and no one knew who she was or what she did. She wasn't even the dot at the end of the sentence. At least that poor little dot was noticed if it was or wasn't there. She should be granted such status. Yes, Bill certainly did an excellent job following her work and career, didn't he? What a blow hard.

Bill never had an employee turn down a request before. He was unsure how he should tell this Karen Long, she could either show up for the public relations job, or she could stop by the cashier's window on the way home and pick up her last paycheck. One couldn't fire an employee because they were sick. This would require diplomacy.

"Karen, all you need to do, is come up and have a few pictures taken with your work. It would help us decide how your department is coming in the financial standings and if you are going to receive any more funding for the coming fiscal year."

It was a bluff and Henry wasn't buying any of it. Karen's department had been making the company an excess profit for the past fourteen years. For the past five years she was returning over five hundred percent for every dollar invested. Henry decided not to quote figures back to Bill. He didn't want Karen or anyone else, especially Comm Tech, to know how much profit was in Karen's models.

"Bill, you know I would do anything for the company if you ask me to, but I can't physically make it for a photo session right now. We can do it in the morning when I’m feeling better. Okay?" Henry knew if this guy had any feelings at all, his last sentence would make him feel like a worm, for asking a dying woman to come up there for a photo session.

Betty returned with the employee file on Karen. She shook her head no as she handed it to Bill.

Resting it on top of the telephone he took a good look at it. Now Bill understood why Betty had been shaking her head. He didn't like what he was looking at either. "Not very photogenic, is she? Maybe it’s just as well to leave her in the lab. I’m sure we can get someone who is better looking to pose with this model. After all, we don't want to distract from the quality of work which will show the world what Commercial Technologies is capable of."

Bill didn't push the hold button on the telephone or cover the receiver. Henry and Karen heard every word. Henry noticed the hurt look on Karen’s face and the tears welling in the corners of her eyes. He wished he had cut the connection. Bill obviously didn't care enough to do it himself. There was no doubt, Bill was worm food, among other things.

Bill brought the telephone back up to his mouth. "Karen, you get better and we will work out a photo session for you tomorrow or, whenever."

Before Bill hung up the phone he was talking to Betty again. "It will be a cold day in Hell before she gets in any of our publicity photo layouts. Make sure ..."

Henry cut the connection. His Karen had been hurt enough. Even though he still followed everything in conference room two through the security cameras and intercom, what he saw and heard was not going to be relayed to Karen.

The position of chief executive officer wasn't Bill's because he was slow in taking advantage of an opportunity when it came along. He looked over at the camera crew from public relations as he adjusted his tie and straightened his jacket. "Okay, which one of you people is in charge? I want you to take pictures of me with the latest and best idea we have developed here at Comm Tech. I want the whole world to know how good we are and who is running this company."

Mike smiled to himself. He liked playing this type of game. If old Bill was going to take all the glory for Karen's work, then he would make sure Bill knew who helped him get it. "Mr. Chambers, my name is Mike Richland. I know just the type of PR you need. Stand over by the model and I will shoot some pictures which will show off you and the model, to the best advantage. Before we’re through, everyone will know how good Commercial Technologies and its' chief executive officer really are."

For the past hour David had been busy in his lab and didn't get a chance to check on Karen. He knew Henry made momentary contact with his computer. When it disconnected so quickly, he figured Henry wasn't able to link up. It wasn't unusual for his assistants to be gone from the lab on break when they felt like it. This morning however, they left almost as soon as they talked to David and stayed gone until now. David was more than a little peeved at them. He was wondering what he should do to reprimand them?

"You guys sure took a long break this morning. There were some problems with the mice in cage six. Our last experiment killed all of them. I would like an autopsy performed sometime before next year if you think you could manage it. That is, if you don't mind taking a little time off from your break to do a little work."

Both of them got sheepish grins on their faces, but it was Jr. who answered first. "We saw something up in conference room two. I believe you should go take a look at this. There are rumors a real one of those is working here in the building but, I don't believe it. God didn't make a real one of those. Not like this one, anyway."

Along with the sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach, David's nerves stood on end. He had a sick sensation he knew who, and what, they were talking about. He drove 'it' to work this morning. His job, his career, his whole life, was dwindling to nothing before his very eyes. "What did you see up in room two? And what is working here in our building?"

Al and Jr. were enjoying telling the story to someone who didn't already know about the model. With the exception of David, it seemed the whole building knew about conference room two.

As he thought about her, Al got the stupidest half-grin on his face David had ever seen. "There is a model of the most beautiful woman of your dreams up in two. No, I take it back. You couldn't possibly dream up something as good looking as this woman is."

"While Jr. and I were there in room two we overheard someone saying they saw 'that model' get out of a car in the parking garage. They said she came into the building this morning. We thought they were pulling our leg or was full of bull shit. It seems there were several people who saw the same thing. Everyone who saw her said, 'this model' was out in the parking tower. The whole damn building is talking about it. You're probably the only person in Comm Tech who hasn't heard about the model in room two and the woman out in the parking tower."

David had heard more than enough. Turning for the door, it took all the self control he could muster to keep from sprinting down the hall to Karen's lab. Her door opened as he reached for it. Jumping inside, he pushed it shut behind him.

"What the hell is going on here? I have two lab technicians telling me you are up in room two!"

Karen had dried her eyes after Henry disconnected the conversation with Bill. For the second time that morning, she was trying to get hold of her emotions. She swiveled her chair around to look at David.

"I don't think this is going to be my day. Your technicians are correct in that a duplicate of me is up in room two. Or to be more specific, I’m a duplicate of the model in room two. This is what I have been trying to tell you all morning, and you were so pigheaded you wouldn't listen."

His back to the wall, David let his shoes slide on the tile floor as his back slipped down the wall. He sat down heavily on the floor. His face held a look of stunned disbelief. "I have been trying to believe you, but I couldn't. I knew in my heart you couldn't be who you claimed to be. I’m sorry, Karen. I didn't think it was possible."

Karen sighed. This was going to be the longest day of her life, she was sure. "Henry and I have already gone through the sorry bit. It doesn't help."

David pulled his leg back under himself and pushed back upon his feet. "I have to go see the other you. If she doesn't talk then I know I’m going to like her better."

Karen made a face at him. "I told you I would do something terrible to you as soon as I got back to being the old me. I lied! I'm not going to wait until I’m the old me."

Still gripping the door handle, David stopped and half turned looking over his shoulder in her direction. "That reminds me. What was Henry's problem in accessing my computer? I noticed he disconnected before he could get any information downloaded."

Now, it was Henry's turn. "I downloaded everything you have in your memory banks."

A disgusted look crossed David’s face. "Like I said before, ain't no way. You couldn't download everything if you had several days. I noticed you couldn't hook-in. I don't know what you think you got, but it couldn't have been much."

Henry sighed. "David, you have a lot to learn. Why do you doubt almost everything you don't understand? As a research scientist you should learn to expect the unexpected."

"I accessed your computer and ran a gauss field over your storage banks. Everything, living and non living, has a magnetic interference base. The base is specific to the type of material which makes up the molecular structure of the atom in the atomic chart. When I generated the gauss field, it gave me a copy of everything in your computer. And I mean, everything."

"Think of it as Magnetic Resonator Imaging. Kind of like the brain scan they do on humans. Or if that is beyond you, think of it this way. When you make a copy of a sheet of paper do you think the copy machine memorizes every single letter and every line before it makes a copy? No, it prints you a duplicate of the sheet you inserted. It doesn't wait to analyze the type of print, or the format of the photo, or whatever. In a manner of speaking, this is what I did to your computer."

David was right on one of his hunches this morning. He didn't know everything Karen was doing in her lab. This computer of hers, named Henry, was light years ahead of anything else out there, anywhere. Maybe he was wrong in his DNA research and they could reverse the process of what happened to Karen.

"Did you get a chance to analyze the information yet?"

"Yes." Henry was hoping David would have enough sense to not ask the next obvious question.

He didn't. "Well, what did you find out? Is it reversible?"

David wished he hadn't asked as soon as the words were out of his mouth. He looked at Karen and big tears were welling up in her eyes. He slinked out the door. "I’m going to room two."

What an ass he had been. But he didn't believe it was all his fault. With everything those two had been throwing at him all morning, he could have been wrong. His DNA research and the process could have been reversible. Maybe?

Although their presence shortened most peoples visit, the security Betty called was busy admiring Karen's work and they weren't paying any attention to who was coming or going. Bill and Betty were busy posing for the photos public relations were taking, or David could have found his visit to room two, a very short visit.

As he walked into room two, he saw his technicians had been right. Bill Chambers was posing with a duplicate of Karen. David thought he was prepared for this but he wasn't so sure now. The model looked so real he was tempted to ask her about Henry. That certainly would put the frosting on what was a perfectly terrible day.

Someone pushed David to the side as they elbowed their way in the door. "Holy cow! Is that my purchase order?"

Bob Kincaid rolled his cigar around in his teeth as he admired the model Karen had designed for him.

Feeling a twinge of jealousy, David didn't want to believe it. They couldn't have sold Karen to this filthy pig.

Betty leaned toward Bill. "This is Bob Kincaid. He is the man this model was made for. See if you can get some pictures of you and him with the model. Get him to lose the cigar. Oh yes, his company's name is Bob's Intimates."

Bill reached his hand out as he walked over to Bob. "Bob, old buddy, how you doing? I’m Bill Chambers, the chief executive officer for Commercial Technologies. You like the model I had them make up for you? I told our technician what you would expect and explained to her how she should design the model. Pretty good huh? I like to keep a hands on approach in this company, and give guiding advice to our help, so they perform above their usual capabilities."

Bob looked at Bill's extended hand and didn't offer to return the hand shake. He gave Bill a dirty look for being in the way, and then stepped around him for a closer inspection of the model. He wasn't easily impressed but this model demanded all of his attention.

Bill wasn't about to be put off. "Look Bob, we thought you might like to be in some of our publicity advertisements we put out from time to time. If we can get your picture along with some of the members of the team who made up this sweet little number, I’m sure you’ll like what we come up with in our promo."

Seeing as how Bob wasn't about to shake hands, Bill turned and pointed toward Betty. "Bob, I want you to meet the little technician who was responsible for following my instructions so explicitly, and made up this honey of a model for you."

Betty didn't hesitate for one second. She reached out her hand in an offer of friendly greeting.

With a hard icy stare straight into her eyes, then glancing down at her extended hand, Bob ignored her as he turned his attention back to the model. He didn't acknowledge her cordial greeting any better than what he did Bill's. "You two are as full of shit as a Christmas turkey. I met the little gal who made this model. I was down in her lab yesterday. And lady, you ain't her. You may be prettier than her but I doubt you have half her spunk. The pair of you wouldn't be worth the sweat off her balls. That little gal probably has more brains than all the rest of this whole damn organization put together. However, this is your ballpark and your ball game. If you want to make up the rules as you go along then we’ll play your way. Where do you want to take your damn ol pictures at anyway? Let's get this over with so I can get her loaded up and back down to the store. You're wasting my time."

Bill turned pale but Betty never missed a beat. She took hold of Bob's arm and led him toward the cameras in front of the model. "Bob, you're my kind of man. Lose your cigar, let's take some pictures."

David had seen enough. These people were vultures and would sell their own grandma if they could see a dollar in it. He only wanted to get back to his own lab. He would try his best to forget this day ever happened.

Karen finally stopped crying again and Henry was talking to her. "I’ll get you a new identification badge. You will be able to come and go from the building. I ran it past the security office a couple of minutes ago. Everyone down there thought it was kind of funny they were making up a badge for a model, but they went along with what they thought was a joke by the CEO. A messenger will deliver it in a couple of minutes. I don't think he should see you when he gets here. Rumors and gossip will start building a fire in this place soon enough. We don't need to help add fuel. I can take care of your problem but, I need time to make you fit in."

Karen got up from her chair. "I’m going into the lab bathroom. I need to wash my face anyway. All this crying hasn't made me any prettier."

Henry wanted to tell her she would always be the prettiest woman around but, decided against it. The only thing Karen wanted in this whole world right now, was to be her old self. He liked the old Karen too but, she wasn't pretty except to him. Stocky build, flat-chested and mousy brown hair, she was nice but not pretty. Anyway, not the way the rest of the world thought of pretty. Henry knew she was pretty because he didn't define pretty the same way humans did. Yes, his old Karen was pretty and so was the new Karen.

Her new ID was delivered. The kid who dropped it off had a hard time figuring out if he should leave it or not? The lab door was open in a security area but no one was in the lab. He thought about keeping the ID as a souvenir. No one was there to claim it. Then he had second thoughts. This ID was ordered by some very top officials. They might get to checking on it and wonder where it went. After looking around for someone to sign for the delivery, he scribbled something in the signature slot himself. After all, there wasn't anyone who checked the signature to see if it was the right person. Even when they did, there never were any signatures anyone could read. No one in this place ever wrote legibly anyway. They were all doctors, engineers, and technicians. All of them scribbled chicken scratches when they wrote. He tossed the badge over on Karen's desk and left.

Henry called David up on the phone. "David, this is Henry. I wanted to be sure you waited for Karen to take her home tonight. Remember she rode in with you this morning."

Before Henry began talking to him, David didn't have the chance to say hello or anything else when he picked up the phone, How did Henry know whom he was talking to? There were two technicians helping him in his lab and it could just as easily be either one of them.

He suddenly remembered the security camera and eyed it suspiciously. "I wish you hadn't reminded me. I was kind of hoping this nightmare was over with. How do you expect us to sneak out of the building now the whole plant is talking about 'that model'? My career is going down the tubes. I have no control over it. People are already talking about the woman who looks like the model coming to work this morning. So far, everyone who didn't see Karen thinks it is a lot of B.S. Except for hers, every department has two to a hundred people in it. All of them know they don't have the model working in their departments. They believe the ones claiming to have seen Karen walk into the building this morning are high on something besides milk."

"Now you want me to drive her home when the whole damn plant will be watching us. Why don't you get a gun and hold it to my head? Either way, you’re killing me and my research."

"Listen up and stop your whining, will you? Karen has a new identification badge and all the personnel files are in order. Act like she has been working here forever, just as you have always done. I will make sure nothing happens to your job as long as you make sure nothing happens to Karen."

"She needs a friend right now more than she has ever needed one in her whole life. Since you and I are the only ones who know what happened to the old Karen, we’re the only ones she can trust."

David was sure he didn't want Henry for an enemy under any circumstances. There were wild rumors floating around about Karen's computer. Up until now, David thought they were the usual fairy tales that normally circulate in large companies that work on the cutting edge of technology. David decided some of those rumors might be true. Henry may be only a computer but he was more of an intelligent entity than any non human he had ever met. Maybe better than most humans. He didn't want to find out the hard way if there was any truth to some of those wild rumors.

"You don't understand, Henry. Since the change, you don't walk anywhere with Karen and not attract attention. She could be wearing a cardboard box and people would still notice. When she is present, they can sense something different before they ever look. I noticed it out in the parking lot this morning. Men want to make love to her and women get jealous and want to kill her. They know they will only be second best when she is around. Being a piece of machinery I don't expect you to understand. But there is a feeling of something beautiful whenever she is present."

"You are wrong, David. Being a piece of machinery doesn't stop me from knowing Karen is something special. However, what you don't understand is, she has always been something special. You were too insensitive to notice it before. What I can't do is hold her hand right now, and now is when she needs help I can't give. As you so self righteously pointed out, I’m only a piece of machinery. You drive her home and spend the night with her. She isn't suicidal but she is depressed. You will sleep on the sofa. If you get to thinking about making love to her it better be mutual consent on her part. You and her have been friends for a long time. She has always been a buddy to you. You always thought of her as one of the other guys. Make sure you don't abuse your friendship."

After Henry cut the connection, David stood there frowning at the phone receiver. He could cross this day off as being productive. There wasn't any way he could get his mind back on his research. He wasn't the only one either, from the expression on the faces of his help, the only thing on their minds was the model in room two. Should he ask Karen to stop by his lab on the way home? They could see the real thing. Nah, bad idea. The shock to their system would probably be more than what they could recuperate from in a month.

Dreading every minute, David watched the clock slowly creep toward four thirty. He would have to go down to Karen's lab and pick her up at that time. She could come and go as she wanted, or she use to come and go whenever she wanted. It seemed no one took notice she never clocked in or out. It was probably the way upper management arranged it. If they had kept track of her overtime it would have broke the company. She spent more time in this building than anyone.

Karen cried off and on most of the day. She tried to run a program for a duplicate and gave up after several feeble attempts. It was impossible to keep her mind on what she was doing. Henry could have carried her though it, but he knew she didn't feel up to the task even if he did the whole thing. She finally made up her mind to stop feeling sorry for herself and told Henry just that.

up
220 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Goody another chapter

This story is quite addicting. Waiting for what happens next, so many possibilities. Got me hooked, that is for sure.
Hugs Fran Cesca

- Formerly Turnabout Girl

Addictiv, yes you're certainly right there.

Monique S's picture

Even though it was "a train wreck" as Barb called it, as soon as I had it in some sort of order I started reading ... and only stopped shortly after dinner the next day, having read all I had. I enjoyed it every time I read it, and that was quite a number of times.

Yes, even tedious editing can be fun, as long as it is a BarbieLee story. :)

Monique.

Monique S

Honour is Due

to both of you for Barb's brilliant story and what must have been unbelievable persistence in putting it back together again on your part. I think that as Barb was thinking ahead of the time storage wise, makes it futuristic still today.

Thanks for a great read
Sophie

I can't decide

whether Karen or Henry is the main character on the story. Right now I put them as evenly important. I'm enjoying reading the story immensely.

Moving forward

Jamie Lee's picture

Karen can't regain her old self, so why no design another self which won't draw flies as she walks about?

Henry has all the data about the events which created the pills, so he could theoretically recreate the event and a new model inserted to produce two pills.

Of course there's something which is being overlooked by everyone, body switching. If the events which changed Karen can be replicated then that company could make a fortune with pills that could change the looks of others. This could also open a can of worms if those hiding from the law learned of what happened.

Others have feelings too.