Travel Through Time and Space Part 13

Printer-friendly version

Samantha looks at the steering rod and noticed it was warpped. How could a piece of metal deform like she was seeing?

“How did this happen?” As Sam looks towards the engineers nearby.

“We don’t know, ma’am.” One of the engineers that had been placed on the project spoke up.

“Maybe the pilot did it?” Another engineering person with black hair looked over towards Samantha.

“A pilot can’t warp something like that. I should know because I can fly that helicopter.” Patricia knew for a fact a pilot couldn’t do that.

Someone heated and warpped that control rod Sam was holding. She didn’t know who, because she wasn’t around when Night Bird had been built.

“Go get me a new one from storage and I want a system check done as well. Also, pull the flight recorder.” Sam wanted to see how the helicopter has been handling.

Patricia figures while Sam was working on the helicopter, she would explore the city. Before she leaves, she goes and finds Sam.

“Hey Sam, I’m going to explore the city some.”

“Okay, if I need you. I’ll call you.” Sam knew the work she was doing to the Night Bird was going to take her a while.

“Okay.” As Patricia borrows one of the company cars and head into town.

Patricia drives into Flagstaff and looks around. She was looking for an authentic Irish Pub. She misses going to her favorite one in Ireland.

Sure, she could fly there while Samantha was working on the helicopter, but it would take her to long to come back to pick Samantha up when she needs her.

Patricia finally locates an authentic pub called The Stag's Head. She parks the company car in the back parking lot and head inside the place. She stops just a few feet into the pub and couldn’t believe how authentic it looked and smell. It looked like someone had transplanted the pub from the countryside of Ireland.

Patricia walks over to the counter and takes a seat on one of the bar stools. The bartender comes walking over to Patricia.

“What can I get for you, ma’am?”

“Let me get a double shot of Poitín.” Patricia knew the real stuff was too strong for bars and pubs to sell, but the one Bunratty Irish Potcheen
made was pretty good.

Dermot grabs a bottle of Poitin for the young lady and pours her a glass of it. He hasn’t seen her around here before. What strikes him as unusual about her, was her looks. She looked like she came from Ireland. The red hair and accent in her speech.

“So, are new in town Ms.?”

“MacQuien, Ms. MacQuien.” Patricia smiles at him as he sets her glass down in front of her.

“Are you from Ireland?”

“Nope, I was born right here in United States in Georgia. I’m visiting a friend out here.” Patricia picks her to drink up and take a sip.

It was weaker than the true stuff she buys when she is in Ireland, but it was okay. The authentic stuff had the nickname of Ireland moonshine and was extremely strong. It was so strong, that Ireland didn’t allow the sale of it.

She downs her first glass and orders another one. She also orders up a bowl of Irish stew. She has had a craving for truly authentic Irish food since she came back from the Essex. While she waits for the stew, she has a third glass of the Poitín.

“You might want to slow down on those drinks.” Dermot has seen people get stone cold drunk and pass out from drinking the drink.

A mischievous smile appears on Patricia's face “it will take a drink stronger than this to affect me.”

“Is that so?” Greg was walking by when he heard the woman brag.

“Yep, it is.” Patricia looks at the gentleman.

“How about we see how good you are at darts?”

Patricia looks towards Dermot “how much longer will my stew be?”

“Go ahead and play your dart game. I’ll hold your meal.” Dermot wanted to see this.

“Okay.” Patricia gets off her stool and follows the gentleman over towards the dart board.

“Let’s flip to see who goes first.”

“Alright, I call heads.”

Greg throws the coin up in the air and catches it. He peeks at it “tails.” As he shows Patricia.

She just shrugs her shoulders. She looks over towards Dermot “let me get a bottle of Irish whiskey from you, please.”
Dermot hands her a bottle.

“Thanks.” As she turns back towards Greg.

“Every time one of us, miss the bullseye. We take a shot of whiskey.” She puts the bottle where they could see it and takes a shot.

“Deal!” As Greg steps to the throwing line.

He tosses his darts one at a time. On his first try, he gets one bullseye and misses with the other two.

Patricia hands Greg the bottle “take two shots.”

Greg takes the bottle and takes two good shots from it. He hands the bottle back to Patricia. She places it back where she had it.

“My turn.” She tosses her darts and hits with two darts and misses with one.

She grabs the bottle and takes one gulp from it. She places the bottle back.

“Your turn.”

Greg throws his darts and misses with all three. He takes three good shots from the bottle. He hands the bottle back to Patricia.

She steps up and tosses her darts. All three darts hit the bullseye. She retrieves her darts.

“I guess I don’t get a drink.” A smile appears on her face.

The next couple of throws, Greg ends up drinking most of the whiskey. Patricia ends up getting a second bottle. She kills the first bottle and ends up taking a few shots from the second bottle. She was feeling a slight buzz, but nothing that was impairing her abilities. By the time the whiskey bottle was half empty. Greg passes out.

“I win!” Patricia walks back over to the counter and sits down.

“Here’s your stew.” As Dermot hands Patricia her stew.

“Thanks.”

Patricia picks her spoon up and starts eating the stew. She pours herself some of the whiskey that is left in the bottle. Someone puts some money in the jukebox and a few songs from Celtic women start playing. She finishes her stew and the rest of the bottle.

“Dermot, that was some good stew. Give my compliments to the chef.”

“I will. Do you want to settle up?” Dermot has been keeping track of her purchases.

“Yep.” Patricia pulls her credit card out and pays for the purchases.

Afterward, she leaves the place and heads back to the airfield.

up
197 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not many

people are that good at darts, its a good way to give yourself alcohol poisoning.

Names

Most people are smart enough to know to stop when they're behind. The ones that don't, they're called idiots.

There is also a name for people like Patricia. They are called champions.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin