The Visit - Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version

The visit.jpg

Chapter 18

Adele was made welcome and shown to the morning room that pleased her. It gave her the opportunity to more closely scrutinise the array of portraits and paintings around the room and she focused on the two that included William, Aunt Roberta and the infant that she observed was dressed as any male or female infant was at that time. Polly entered to ask if she would like a refreshing drink whilst Aunt Roberta and her niece were making ready for the outing.

When she arrived back with some pear juice Adele took the opportunity to ask about the infant and since Adele had been accepted as a respected guest Polly answered explaining that according to her mistress this was the baby Elizabeth Deane and this was a pre-wedding portrait and William had returned to London for the wedding. But regrettably the wedding never took place after William had an encounter in London that necessitated his urgent return home. Seemingly William was placed in a very awkward situation but all this was before Polly’s time and she’d had to behave discreetly ever since her appointment and was well rewarded for it.

Adele was still interested in finding out about the child and asked why she was not carrying the fathers name because the birth would have had to be registered because of new laws. Adele commented that the certificate of birth might not carry the name of William Hudson because they weren’t married and she concluded that the child had no legal connection to William that she had hoped.

Polly could only suggest that Mr Arthur ask Miss Roberta if she wished to know more about the family and recommended he didn’t enquire directly with her mistress. Adele knew that was a waste of time but hoped that the scheduled meeting with Mr Walker would shine some light or create an opportunity to enquire without causing embarrassment. Robert in his role as Miss Roberta was key to open the heart of Aunt Roberta.

By the time Adele had finished her pear juice she was blessed with the appearance of Miss Roberta and immediately commented on her radiance and beauty that brought colour to Roberts cheeks. Adele kissed her hand and bowed as a gentleman may do then lightly kissed his cheek and complemented him on the sweet fragrance surrounding him. Aunt Roberta entered the room in time to see the two together and smiled in admiration. It took her back to her days spent with William and the love that quickly developed.

Adele stepped back and greeted her in the same manner as she had just done with Robert but with only a very light kiss on the cheek. She stood back a pace and commented on Aunt Roberta’s splendid outfit and whilst nowhere near as beautiful as Robert she clearly was looking better and more alive by the day. The wrinkled leather like skin was looking softer and lighter in colour. Perhaps she had some potion but Adele felt she had a new lease of life.

With everybody ready Adele then escorted them with arms locked in hers outside to the waiting cab and helped them both climb to their seats and spread their flowing skirts. She could see that Robert had not changed his mind and that he’d decided to take afternoon tea with his new friends and she was a little apprehensive because they’d see Robert in bright daylight rather than gaslight and no doubt they’d be searching for any flaws since Robert was at least 10 years younger than them and had not had the pain or after effects of childbirth. His choice of dress that was too elegant just to have been selected for a meeting with a sombre barrister like Mr Walker.

Robert saw the look on Adele’s face and commented before the question was asked, ‘Of course my dear Arthur, Aunt Roberta and I know we are not be welcome at your Gentleman’s club so what else must a woman do but make her own plans.’

Aunt Roberta was clearly enjoying her trip out in the cab as she pointed out landmarks on the journey to Foster & Walkers and it seemed to have been quite a while since she’d ventured far from Tavistock Square. She seemed to know London very well pointing out that the cab driver could have taken another more direct route.

When they arrived at their destination the cab driver jumped down to hold the horse steady to prevent movement of the cab because of Aunt Roberta’s frailty. Adele helped Robert who by now had mastered the art of finding safe footing in a long flowing dress ensuring he could see a foot peeping out before placing it firmly on the step. Then Adele attended to Aunt Roberta almost resorting to lifting her but of course she would have none of it and she gave Adele a look that made it very clear that she hadn’t lost her independence.

Once inside Mr Walker came out of his office immediately to greet his visitors and there was clear respect and a special welcome for Aunt Roberta. Her face lit up and they were on first name terms with Mr Walker welcoming her back. It appeared that most recent meetings with Aunt Roberta had taken place at Tavistock Square. There was no need for introductions and as a matter of politeness Mr Foster also made an entrance to say hello to Aunt Roberta. There seemed to be a long association and Adele and Robert found out that the practice had represented Aunt Roberta for many years and also William Hudson. The practice was started by their fathers and it appeared that Aunt Roberta and William Hudson became one of their main clients.

They settled around a conference table in the main meeting room and Mr Walker summarised what had been discussed in the meeting he’d had with Mr Arthur and Miss Roberta using some notes that he’d prepared. They were accurate so Mr Walker suggest that Adele repeat the questions that she’d tried to ask that he had declined to answer without permission of Miss Roberta Senior.

Adele cut straight to the chase and advised that she’d asked about William Hudsons shareholding in the Club and who had inherited them after his death. She understood that the shareholding was in suspension and that Fosters & Walker had the responsibility of representing the party who would inherit the shares. She believed that to be Elizabeth Deane the infant born to Aunt Roberta but Elizabeth had died before she reached the age of 21.

Aunt Roberta reflected on the question and then turned to Mr Walker and nodded to indicate her approval to answer the question. Mr Walker opened a file and flicked through the documents before settling on what appeared to be a certificate of some kind.

Mr Walker proceeded to explain that the daughter Elizabeth Deane was named in the will and that he had the share certificate pending her reaching the age of 21. The family of William Hudson had contested the will through the court after his death since there was no evidence that William was the father. In law he was classed as a putative father and he was not named on the birth certificate. So they claimed the wife of William should inherit everything including his business interests.

Judge Fleming had presided over the hearing and threw out the claim but then the family accused Judge Fleming of bias because he had association with William. On top of that the family had hired some dubious private investigators and thugs to threaten Aunt Roberta and harm her young daughter. This carried on for some time with several failed attempts on their lives. The child Elizabeth was moved to a safe house in the care of a relative of Aunt Roberta who raised her like a daughter.

Adele and Robert looked at each other in disbelief since Robert wasn’t aware of any other family members save his father so he turned to Aunt Roberta and asked for her confirmation and tears were rolling down her cheeks. She took Roberts hand and with a bowed head she confirmed that she had but one brother Edward who lived in Bristol.

‘But Edward Deane is my father.’

‘ My dear Roberta, Edward is not your father he is your great uncle and I am your grandmother. My daughter Elizabeth moved to his home away from London for safety and little did Roberts family know she was right under their noses.’

Robert looked at her with sadness and took her hands in his ‘But why did you allow Elizabeth to leave you.’’

‘For her safety and so she could spend time with William who she loved dearly. He managed to keep this secret from his family but Edward didn’t like the way I gave up my daughter so easily but she was safer with him. Especially so when William died. I know it wasn’t an accident he was murdered. ’

‘But Aunt Roberta ithat is so tragic. How did these people get away with it? They must have really hated you.’

‘Yes they did because William would not give me up and they found out we set up businesses together and purchase my house in Tavistock Square.’

Robert asked ‘Is that why you and my father argued and didn’t meet each other and why he never acknowledged that I had an Aunt in London.’

‘Yes he was ashamed of me especially when I gave up Elizabeth but he never understood the threats against me nor the jealousy of the woman William married. Later it became even worse because I blamed him for not taking care of Elizabeth properly. He allowed her to have a relationship with a young seafarer that led to her becoming pregnant at a tender age. I never found out she was pregnant until I was informed that she had died in childbirth. I stopped my financial support to Edward.’

Adele interjected. ‘ So what you are saying is that Elizabeth was in the care of your brother and she became pregnant died so how about the child did it survive ?’

‘We kept Elizabeths death quiet and the birth was not officially registered in the required timescale through Edwards incompetence.’

Robert was almost speechless but eventually words came from his mouth. ‘ Aunt Roberta am I the child or am I the child of your brother?’

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Plot Thickens

Christina H's picture

The story is bubbling along nicely really well written and weaving a wonderful tapestry
in the mind of the reader.
Is it Robert(a) who is the child and more importantly the child without a birth certificate?
Can't wait for more
Christina

Had a Feeling...

...that was where we were headed.

Where we go from there, of course, remains to be seen. Roberta carefully referenced herself as "the child of..." rather than the son or daughter. Even with no accepted birth certificate, I'm not sure she can hide her male background, and I'm not sure how much the lawyer (and his partner) already know about that.

And of course there's still the question as to whether Robert/a or anyone is entitled to the shares. Who has the legal burden of proof when it comes to a "putative" father's child?

Looking forward to more.

Your feeling

Hi,
Thanks for spotting the typo since I wrote pugative by mistake. No such word and it is indeed the putative father. I don't think these were easy times in England so who knows how much faith people had in the legal system. Next posting is imminent to try to maintain interest.

Jules

You honestly ...

Mantori's picture

... do not need to worry about interest being kept.

This story of yours is fabulous, and it is just getting better with every chapter you add.

Thank you as always.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

A smile

For your kind comment. Maybe it shows I got a bit of my old spark back as I'd hoped.

Jules

The story sure sparkles

Monique S's picture

Hun, thanks it is really nice.

Hugs,
Monique.

Monique S

Thanks Again

For your kind comment. I have enjoyed writing this particular story even though I had to take a break. I feel better that I've been able to post regularly again. There is so much variation, choice and capability on this site so I've appreciated the opportunity to contribute.
Hugs

Jules