The Visit - Chapter 20

Printer-friendly version

The visit.jpg

Chapter 20

After they’d paid their respects to Elizabeth with silent prayers Aunt Roberta and Robert walked arm in arm back to the Square and across to the front door of Aunt Roberta’s home with Adele escorting them as any well-mannered young man would look after two women sharing grief. They had agreed to have lunch together and whilst they had little appetite they decided to carry on and do their best.

Aunt Roberta went to her room to tidy herself since she was not used to displaying emotion so openly. It gave Adele and Robert chance to talk a little together in privacy. Adele was trying to hold back her elation at the disclosure from Mr Walker but she acknowledged that Robert was upset and still in shock. His life had taken a most enormous twist in the last few days.

Robert chose to sit alone in a chair rather than on the sofa where Adele would have sat beside him. He was trying to digest the news that he was the son of Elizabeth Deane since there was absolutely no evidence of her existence at his home in Bristol and neither of his parents had ever mentioned her existence. As far as he was concerned he wasn’t sure if he was dreaming and floating like a free spirit in no-mans land somewhere between being the son of Edward and Margaret Deane and the granddaughter of Roberta Deane with no place to land.

He had happy memories of Bristol in his youth but recalled that his father had told him they had moved home on two occasions at short notice in his formative years. They’d but stayed in the central Bristol area but whenever he asked about where he’d lived as an infant he was never shown. He was told that lots of families moved home as Bristol developed as a port and bridges were built over the river and lots of houses like their first house had been demolished. The second house was lost in a great fire in the City. The Deane family lost their rented home and all their possessions that included Roberts certificate of birth. There was some speculation that the fire was deliberate but no prosecutions.

Adele let Robert know that he could rely on her and she would not fail him. Aunt Roberta was giving him a tremendous opportunity and he would have security and a splendid home and she was sure that his adoptive parents would understand.

‘But what of them if she insists that I carry on this masquerade. I’m sure she intends this to be permanent and there will be more conditions attached at the time that I reach 21. She wants me to carry on for 3 months and then she will decide if I’m fit to inherit the shares in your Club. I’ll be trapped.’

‘Is that so bad? It means we can plan a future together. I can now fight off these villains who are trying to take my shares for a pittance and remove the threats from the banks who have us over a barrel. Won’t you please do this for me if for no other reason?’

Robert felt completely swamped by desire that seemed out of his control. He had his own satisfaction and temptation to go further in view of the joyous time he’d had these last few days as well as Adele’s encouragement and support but most of all the refusal of Aunt Roberta to recognise him as Robert Deane only as Roberta.

He realised that he didn’t have anything to complain about since this lifestyle was like a piece of heaven compared to his life in the busy City of Bristol. His life consisted of long working days for little reward working in ‘his father’s business’, that he was due to take over. Forty or Fifty years of purgatory like Edward his adoptive father.

Maybe life would be different since both he and Adele had seen changes since the City was a major port in England with a lot of import and export business flowing and intense competition. Regrettably this had attracted a lot of unsavoury characters as the population was increasing significantly. But there had been massive private investment at the same time from rich families in the area. Not all successful.

Whilst he’d hardly had chance to get to know Aunt Roberta if she could be trusted then she’d only be expecting him to live the life of a young socialite encouraging him to spend his time with middle and upper class folk. The only work required of him would be his introduction to the business that had been so successful for her and William Hudson, now understood to be his direct ancestors. But whilst he considered the disadvantages of being in London living the life of a woman would Adele be able to move there and would she be able to fend off these men who were threatening her to take the fruits of her family’s hard work and investments such as the Club in London?

Would she in fact carry on her masquerade as Arthur to maintain access to the Club and to maintain the confidence of Aunt Roberta in both of them. It was Roberts opinion that if she suspected that she’d been duped by Adele it might affect his own developing relationship and ultimately his inheritance.

He realised already that there would likely be no inheritance if he could not live and breathe for the next three months as Roberta to demonstrate he was capable of being the granddaughter Aunt Roberta wanted. He expected he would have to continue for a few years to come, at least in her lifetime.

He had no alternative and he ensured that Adele understood his decision. But he made very clear that she understood that this was a deal between the two of them and she had to support him as Arthur whilst in London at the very least. If they were to return to Bristol they could of course adopt their normal gender roles. He was missing the freedom of living as a man that Adele was relishing.

Aunt Roberta appeared and behind her Polly followed with a tray on which she had a heart shaped bottle of sherry and three glasses. The sherry and the glasses had been brought from Bristol by William Hudson as a gift to celebrate their commitment to each other for marriage. Aunt Roberta had kept it as a treasured possession and announced that it was time for her to break the seal and welcome home their lost grandchild and two lost loves of her life.

Adele stepped forward to assist and Robert moved to the sofa allowing Aunt Roberta to take his seat. With filled glasses Aunt Roberta proposed the toast for future happiness of Roberta and wishing her a long life. The sherry was quite potent but very pale and clear and they sipped together with Polly refreshing the glasses. Aunt Roberta asked about their plans for the rest of the day inviting Adele for dinner again at 7pm that she accepted.

Adele advised that she wished to go back to the Gentleman’s Club for another meeting and Robert said he would like to go with her. One look from Aunt Roberta indicated that she disapproved and she said women weren’t allowed in the club and there was no sign of anything changing in the future. Robert said he could go in male garb like he’d done before using the outfit he’d worn on arrival to Tavistock Square.

Aunt Roberta advised him that he shouldn’t wear such clothes and that she’d asked Polly to remove them from the house and give them away. Robert was shocked that showed but Adele understood immediately because it was apparent that the house was still under surveillance of unsavoury characters seen hanging around the Square. They were more likely to be looking for a male descendant of William Hudson than a female if they’d found any evidence of Elizabeth in Bristol.

Adele recommended that Robert keep his appointment for afternoon tea that would lead to nothing and to let these men follow her to the Club after she dropped Robert at the residence of George and Emma Wainwright and she would collect him 2 hours later. Aunt Roberta suggested that Robert might find more friends like Emma and Clara if she had an afternoon in their company that would please her considerably.

After a light lunch Aunt Roberta decided she would take a rest and Robert and Adele made ready to leave but not before they’d embraced for a few minutes that perhaps was a combination of the days events and the two glasses of sherry.

As the arrived at the address of the Wainwrights that was a large white terraced property Adele jumped from the cab and knocked on the door. Robert was expected as hoped so she helped him from the cab and he went inside to be greeted by Emma and Clara. Adele left for his appointment at the club and Robert found himself waving.

Inside he looked around the large hallway as a housekeeper took his shawl and was impressed by the décor. According to Emma it had been completed recently by a designer from Paris through a business contact of her husbands. The downstairs reception room was just as magnificent and as they entered Robert could hear the chatter of several voices and found that there were two other ladies present also invited for tea.

He felt uncomfortable as he stood there being closely examined by four pairs of eyes and was deeply concerned that these ladies would see through his disguise and see a man. He was wrong because they welcomed him and commented on his outfit with a certain degree of envy. It was clear that Aunt Roberta had good taste and an excellent seamstress. His corset was holding him tightly in place and his breasts were slightly prominent without being on display.

Tea was served and the five of them chatted with Robert slightly quieter than the other four who seemed to be capable of holding more than one conversation at once. Robert explained that he was visiting London for the first time and had been raised in Bristol that they detected anyway from his accent. He found himself pitching his voice higher than normal and even giggled with them as they chatted about their menfolk. He accepted further invites for the following week and realised it was expected he do the same but he needed approval from his Aunt first. All were keen to visit the house at Tavistock Square.

Adele met again with the General Manager at the Club who offered her a cigar. He declined saying he had a slight chest infection and preferred to take care. The meeting was useful since now Adele had identified that the shares held by Foster & Walker would be inherited by Robert in a few months time they would have enough votes to resist any pressures from smaller shareholders and the banks trying to force Adele to sell for next to nothing. She just needed some extra short term financial support and she wanted to know more about George Wainwright and Joseph Meredith who they’d met at the theatre and were members. Maybe they could help through their contacts but better still if eventually she could persuade Aunt Roberta to help.
It seemed like George Wainwright was well respected at the Club and Adele found him to be quite friendly. Hopefully Robert would be able to set up a lunch or dinner appointment for four of them to seek some advice.

Roberta was still involved in the conversations when Adele called to collect him and he’d gained in confidence even though there were many topics that he had no way of contributing. He was considerably younger than the four of them as well but if anything that helped because they could excuse his ignorance.

Adele had her own experience of afternoon tea parties that she never enjoyed and moreso now with the experience she’d had presenting as Arthur with the freedom it provided. She felt a little uncomfortable dressed as she was so she tried to hurry Robert along as best she could and fortunately he understood and responded.

Adele dropped Robert off at Tavistock Square before heading to her apartment to wash and change for dinner with Robert and Aunt Roberta. She wished they’d had time for him to relax with her in apartment since the pair of them were clearly very comfortable in each others company and it would be a chance to be intimate together.

She made it her plan to invite Robert the following day and she would ensure the Apartment was clean and tidy. She needed some assistance on that front because of the amount of time she spent out and about. Perhaps Polly might have a friend or family member looking for such an opportunity.

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mr Arthur

My5InchFMHeels's picture

If Mr Arthur were to get help from someone known to Polly, HE would need some discretion. A house keeper/maid may notice that Mr. Arthur has a monthly visitor.

Mr Arthur

Indeed you are correct that any hired service of this kind is intrusive and puts at risk the exposure of Mr Arthur. It is not a problem that is easy to cover up especially in those days. Much easier for Robert with Polly. Perhaps a solution is to spend 1 week in four in Bristol but then I suppose pregnancy also works and the family track record in that regard might come into play. Thanks for your observation and comment that is much appreciated. What a temptation.

Jules

True

Maybe visitors weren't welcome.

Jules

How ladies deal with

How ladies deal with unwanted visitors.

A period comes to an end: 100 years of menstruation products
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/a-per...

A gentleman who attended a club would be expected to have a valet and a good tailor.
It would be hard to meet the dress code of the gentlemans club without one.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/81/HughLau...

Victorian Servants were expected to be very discreet.

How ladies dealt with

Yes it must have been common for men to encounter the visitor problem when their urges needed to be satisfied. Little is recorded by Scribes about this problem in those days and one can only imagine the frustration for women of higher class. Of course one solution was not to wear anything beneath skirts and another was to hold cloths in place using crude devices made of metal. a weird solution that might of course helped stop males taking advantage too easily.
The tradition of having good tailored clothes still existed in the few remaining clubs in London in the 1970's. Robert was not dressed appropriately when he visited the first time because of Mr Arthur's position that needed attention.
Whatever the class times were difficult. Thanks for additional information and observations.

Jules

Pregnancy

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I've been wondering how they are going to get around a pregnancy, but I can think of a couple of ways they could pull it off.