The Visit - Chapter 22

Printer-friendly version

The visit.jpg

Chapter 22

After the shock of the declaration by Aunt Roberta Robert and Adele held hands beneath the table so that each knew the other was supportive and not offended. Aunt Roberta looked on and saw the glances between them that confirmed her judgement that they had a special relationship. It was at least some compensation to her for the losses she’d endured in her lifetime.

The conversation between the three of them became more relaxed again and much more than on the prior occasions at dinner together. Aunt Roberta asked young Arthur about his family in Bristol and his ambitions for the business he had taken over. It was a little awkward at first since in Bristol Arthur Fleming didn’t exist but Adele was quick thinking and used to being put under pressure. Arthur said that her cousin Adele had taken over responsibility for the running of the business as authorised by her father and his role was to assist and deal with the problems of the threats against the Gentleman’s Club as holder of the shares on behalf of the family.

Robert felt the nervousness in Adeles hand as she responded and was impressed by her speed of thought hoping that Aunt Roberta wouldn’t be too intrusive and he tried to change the subject in support of Adele towards the type of business the family were involved in.

Adele sensed it was better if Robert didn’t get involved in her explanation in case Aunt Roberta knew more than she was letting on so she gave a look to Robert that made it clear for him to leave her to deal with the topic and she squeezed his hand to emphasise her desire. Robert sat quiet and Arthur went on to explain that Adele was the apple of her fathers eye but he had been the closet to their grandfather Judge Fleming and had visited him regularly in London as a child. Hence as the boy in the family he was the natural choice to take control of the shares and his grandfather had arranged for him to become a member. His grandfather had died 2 years earlier and the family had travelled to the funeral in London.

Adele shuddered a little when Aunt Roberta remarked that she’d attended the funeral and met some of the family including Adele who had inherited her fathers looks but she didn’t recall meeting Arthur.

The hole that Adele had dug for herself was getting deeper so she was getting desperate for a response that might work and Arthur took over from her and simply said that he was on a ship returning from North America where he had visited cousins. It seemed a reasonable enough explanation in the circumstances especially since Adele realised that she had seen Aunt Roberta at the funeral in the church but not at the wake.

Aunt Roberta then asked when first met her granddaughter and what she thought of her. Arthur was not expecting this interrogation so was not prepared for any of it but at least he could tell the truth that they’d met at a function and danced together. He’d been attracted by her beauty and now having met Aunt Roberta he could see that this was inherited. Robert recalled his first thoughts of Aunt Roberta when he arrived and gently stepped on Arthurs foot in protest. Adele knew this would get a reaction and smiled to herself.

After an hour of general chit chat and a glass or two of port Aunt Roberta said it was time for her to withdraw to her bed and so Adele decided it was appropriate to leave. After saying goodnight to Aunt Roberta as she disappeared up the staircase she beckoned Robert to go into the drawing room into the light of the fire embers and a sole gas light. She apologised if she’d embarrassed him with her answers to Aunt Roberta and said she felt she ought to keep a distance for a while to avoid more questioning and a slip on her part.

Robert protested and pushed her gently backwards demonstrating some authority to Arthur for the first time since meeting in London. ‘No you can’t, we are doing this to help you sort out your problems at the Club and help save your business. You can’t give in we have to carry on.’

Adele looked into Robert blue eyes and shook her head because she knew that she ought to have better answers that avoided any chance of exposure knowing that she might have even put at risk her membership of the Club if it leaked that she’d been masquerading as a non-existent cousin. Aunt Roberta certainly was unique and seemed to have an agenda to protect her niece but then again that was another risk. She failed to notice that Robert was hesitating to step forward so they could embrace because Robert somehow felt it was inappropriate whilst presenting as Roberta. It was as if the garb changed his behaviour as if he’d been hypnotised.

Adele decided she’d be better to leave and offered to meet the following day to discuss Aunt Roberta’s proposals and her concerns. She agreed to collect Robert at 11 am to give him chance to breakfast with Aunt Roberta and she would think about a venue for lunch where they had some privacy. She waved to her cab driver and turned to kiss Robert on the lips but he turned his head so the kiss was less intimate on his cheek. He was still feeling uneasy but he stayed at the door to wave goodnight.

Robert climbed the staircase slowly looking at the pictures and portraits in the subdued light of the gas lamps. Why had his mother died whilst he survived? She was too young to be taken and never had chance to hold him. She’d never had chance to grow up with her blood parents because of some stupid family dictate insisting her father married some woman of convenience. That led to a dispute and her fathers death. There seemed to have been no winners and everybody lost.
Thank goodness he’d met Adele and agreed to come to London to stay with an Aunt he never even knew existed. This was a world that he could never expected to see even in his wildest dreams. He was excited but scared because he was living on clouds and dressing and presenting as a fictional niece of his Aunt. It was so different to the life he’d live in Bristol and every day seemed to be different. No hard graft so far just a life of social action accompanying Adele who seemed experienced and confident whilst presenting as Arthur.

Polly was waiting in his room and helped him to undress and change into a freshly laundered nightdress. She was discreet as usual and Robert was soon being tucked into his sheets. His mind was far too active to fall to sleep straight away and he guessed the port wasn’t helping either that laid heavy on his stomach. It took an hour or so for him to fall to sleep and he heard the sound of the church bell chime at 10 pm as the doors were closed for the night. He whispered good night to his poor mother Elizabeth who had been laid to rest in a cold deep grave so long ago.

Eventually she heard the door handle turn and Polly appeared with fresh water for bathing and then a cup of hot milk. Polly pulled back the heavy drapes to let in the early morning sunshine and the morning chorus in the trees in the neighbouring garden. He needed the chamber pot so Polly was discreet and found some reason to leave the room for a few minutes.

Once again Robert was offered a morning bath that he gladly accepted since he liked the oils and the fragrances that were good for his skin. At home in Bristol he was lucky to have the chance to bathe once per week never mind every day and that involved a visit to the Public facilities where privacy didn’t exist.

This morning Polly had produced a lighter weight of dress over his under garment in a brighter colour tending towards a deep pink. At breakfast Aunt Roberta complimented him for the selection and she mentioned the name of the dressmaker who had designed it and the year it was made.

They had their usual light breakfast together with fruit juices and chatted about some of the current events in London. It was rapidly changing and had expanded considerably through Aunt Roberta’s lifetime. New bridges had been built over the river connecting pockets of wealth and prosperity. Some regions were very popular and attracted traders and others seemed poor and run down.
When Adele arrived she greeted both Robert and his Aunt and suggested that she and Robert take some tea in the walled garden before heading out to Kew Gardens and then taking lunch close by in Richmond. It would take a few hours and after that Adele wanted to invite Robert to her apartments to relax together. Adele in fact invited Robert to stay the night and suggested Polly might pack something appropriate.

After careful consideration Robert convinced himself that such an offer would meet with his Aunts approval. But he was still a little peeved with Adele from the night before. He wasn’t sure that he could manage undressing and dressing without Pollys assistance but then Adele told him not to worry. She had already arranged for Polly’s daughter to assist.

Before their departure Adele asked if Robert wanted to visit the jewellers to look at designs of engagement ring but Robert declined.

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Roberta's reticence ...

Sara Selvig's picture

... to engage romantically with Arthur is troubling. :( It would seem more natural! But, Robert and Adele seem to be viewing the gender switches differently.

Can this really work out?

btw, you are one of four authors that I read first. My quandary arises when two or more of you post the same day! :) So, thank you for this new story.

Sara

Sara


Between the wrinkles, the orthopedic shoes, and nine decades of gravity, it is really hard to be alluring. My icon, you ask? It is the last picture I allowed to escape the camera ... back before most BC authors were born.

Compliment indeed

Hi Sara, Thanks for your kind comment. I think I could have a good guess at the other three writers to see if we have the same experience. There are lots of great stories on this site with a wide range of writing styles and I guess I fit a particular box that sits ok with me.

Jules

Nice work again

Monthly visitor cover story. for Mr Arthur.
Mr Arthur could have been injured in a street attack knife wound to the groin that is slow to heal and bleeds for time to time.
A skin ulcer that bleeds for time to time would do too.
In either case it might be necessary to wear a bandage during this bleeding.
Lack of shaving is another problem.
A gentle man would be shaved by his valet or got to a processional Gentle man barber for this service.
I suspect that those trying to take over the club may have other motives. They may be card sharks whoi cheap gentle men of their money at card games. Luring members in to fake investment schemes would be possible too.
Some of his enemies might even challenge him to duel or create some false accusation that would cause one of the other member to challenge him to duel.

In 1777, a code of practice was drawn up for the regulation of duels, at the Summer assizes in the town of Clonmel, County Tipperary, Ireland. A copy of the code, known as 'The twenty-six commandments', was to be kept in a gentleman's pistol case for reference should a dispute arise regarding procedure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel

THE CODE OF HONOR;
or
RULES FOR THE GOVERNMENT
of
PRINCIPALS AND SECONDS
in
DUELLING

by John Lyde Wilson
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6085/6085-h/6085-h.htm

Interesting Ideas

I guess since both Robert and Adele would have to be discreet and take care about suspicions over the monthly visitor problem. Mr Arthur might have stomach pain problems to hide as well. Since both are aged around twenty regular shaving might not be necessary but I'm sure Mr Arthur has been tempted to visit a barber shop since she enjoys the experience of manhood.
Robert will have been used to looking after himself in Bristol if he needed to shave but then he is having a problem with his hormone balance as we know he might have had a cat at home instead of a cut throat razor and leather belt.
I hope it doesn't come to sword fights or pistol duels at dawn on Hampstead Heath. Who knows?

Jules

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.

I suspect there may natural estrogens or other female hormones in the cream she is using on her breasts.
Pretending to be another gender was not unknown at the time

Sarah Malinda Pritchard Blalock (March 10, 1839 or 1842, Avery County, North Carolina – March 9, 1901 or 1903, Watauga County, North Carolina) was a female soldier during the American Civil War. Despite originally being a sympathizer for the right of secession, she fought bravely on both sides. She followed her husband by joining the CSA's 26th North Carolina Regiment, disguising herself as a young male soldier named Samuel Blalock. The couple eventually escaped by crossing Confederate lines and joining the Union partisans in the mountains of western North Carolina. During the last years of the war, she was a pitiless pro-Union marauder, tormenting the Appalachia region. Today she's one of the most remembered female combatants of the Civil War.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malinda_Blalock

Barry was born Margaret Ann Bulkley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Barry_(surgeon)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wartime_cross-dressers...

List of wartime cross-dressers
There should be phones in the club or maybe Mr Arthur can have them installed when he takes over.
http://victorian-era.org/inventions-in-the-victorian-era.html

Pharmacies at the time sold opium and cocaine etc legally and all sorts of creams and herbal preparations with god know what was it them.
Herbs could have had female hormones.
It was fashionable for young ladies to bring a syringe of cocaine to the opera to stop the falling asleep at the opera.
Opium was used to spike drinks of both men and women at the time.
Men who's drinks were spiked could find them selves sold to ship owners to work on ship when it was hard to recruit crew.
Ladies drinks being spiked could lead to life in a brothel. or forced marriages overseas.
absinthe was a popular drink.
Homosexual was illegal for men,but not for women as it was thought women could not have sex without a man. but drugs were legal.
Age of consent was 13.
illiteracy was very common in the working classes. gentlemen would use a lot of Latin saying in their speech.
https://www.realmofhistory.com/2018/06/04/30-ancient-roman-l...

56 Delightful Victorian Slang Terms You Should Be Using
http://mentalfloss.com/article/53529/56-delightful-victorian...
A gentleman like Mr Arthur would be expected to visit Brothels. That could create a problem, as could Turkish baths.
I wonder can Mr Arthur ride a horse that is not side saddle?

I hope this is not too much.

More Interesting Facts

So much extra material based on your research. Glad for your interest.

Jules