The New Life of Jamie Sarah Potter (4)

Printer-friendly version

My schedule for the year had remained the same. And so, according to that schedule as soon as I dropped the paper off at the office, I was to report to my first period class. That being “Natural Science”. And as expected Mr. Henderson stood there in the classroom waiting for me. He wore a different suit this time, instead of the fading gray suit, he wore a dark charcoal suit. What remained of his gray, thinning hair had been brushed over the best he could to hide the big bald spot. The lingering smell of Old Spice aftershave, tobacco and coffee hung around him like a blinding fog.

I first caught sight of Mr. Henderson when I walked into the classroom. My classmates where already seated and coping down a board full of notes from the blackboard that had been nailed to the wall years ago. Back when Mr. Henderson had a head full of hair and way before his teeth had been stained yellow from years of drinking coffee and smoking tobacco. He was standing in the center of the classroom. His hand folded behind him, his eyes fixed upon the door.

“Students.” He crooked out. “May I please have your attention for a minute. Pencils down please, eyes toward the front.” He said the minute I walked through the door of the classroom.

I felt a deep blush form on my face as I felt all eyes turned toward me.

“We have a new student. Her name is Ms. Jamie Sarah Potter. She’ll be joining you for the remainder of the school year or the next three. Ms. Potter.” He said walking up to me, he smiled a small smile. He then reached down and offered me his hand. “Allow me to welcome you to my class. it’s a pleasure to have you here with us today.”

I could tell by his tone of voice that Mr. Henderson was forcing the politeness in his voice. The way he lifted crusted and cracked lips up to show his yellow teeth sent shivers down my spine. His eyes, narrowed down into two slits. Those eyes reminded me of a weasel, and the whole show brought to mind the mental picture of a weasel that had somehow gotten shoved into an suit.

“Thank you sir.” I said taking a deep breath.

“Why don’t you tell us a little about yourself, Ms. Potter.” He said sitting down in his old leather chair. “I’m sure your classmates would love to learn something about you.” His bones seemed to crack and pop as he eased himself down into the leather chair. Once seated he took a deep breath and threaded his fingers together as he peered toward me.

I blushed and shook my head.

“No sir..” I said blushing as I walked toward the empty seat and eased down into chair. I smoothed my skirt under me as I eased my bottom down.

“Very well. I’ll tell the class a little about you. Ms. Potter,” He cleared his throat and stood up. All eyes shifted toward me and then toward him. For a minute I wished the earth would open up and swallow me whole.

“Ms. Potter, was once called Mr. Potter, despite the wishes of the headmaster and what insane order he has issued. I will not for the life of me be using the pronouns of ‘Her’ or ‘She’ when addressing you. I feel that is an insult to not only you, but the whole male race. And instead of catering to your twist desire, I say we should have the right and the privilege of marching you outside. Bending you over and having your hand and feet tied to a bench. And then have your bare backside flogged till you bleed. Ladies and gentleman, look upon Ms. Potter as a product of a country that has gone soft. The generation that freed the western world from Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany has been reduced to this, and by this I mean, a soft spoken boy who can get away with wearing a dress and prancing around like some fruit cake.”

I felt my cheeks flush with color as I peered toward my desk.

A mummer ran through my class, a dozen of whispered conversations started to take place. Mr. Henderson raised his eyebrows and peered toward us with a evil gaze. He slowly forced himself to stand up and then reaching down to take hold of his desk he shouted.

“If where going to scorn this piece of trash, lets scorn it together. No need to mutter under your breaths. Come on, political correctness dies at my door. This is no twitter safe-space.” He bellowed, causing me to sink even deeper into my chair.

“Okay dude,” a random voice said. “That like enough! Where tired of it okay! Stop putting everything down.” The voice belonged to a black haired boy, who wore a saggy hairstyle. He was thin as a rail, and his white button down shirt was decorated with a row of pins. He blew out a stream of hot air that caused his bangs to flutter.

“Mr. Morrison, I figured you’ll be the first to speak up.” He said grinning. “I you’ve just earned yourself two weeks of after school detention. One more outburst like that, and I’ll send you to the ROCK. Do you understand me. And I’ll make sure they put you in the tiniest room they have. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME SIR?!” He bellowed out.

“Hey, don’t talk to Willy like that!” Another voice called out. “And don’t you dare talk to Jamie like that either! She was totally a life saver. She was our school hostage after all!” The voice belonged to a girl, a cute blonde haired girl

“Ms. Oak.. I expected you to rise in defense of this outside trash. You do after call come from carpetbagger stock. Your great-great grandfather was part of that plague of Yankee rabble that came flooding down here after the War to buy up the land of poor southern boys at knock down prices. You will also being joining Mr. Morrison in detention for a fortnight.”

“Oh we going to have a problem here.” Another girl said as she stood up. “You talking to my BEF like she some kind of Jackson streetwalker. And your all in this girls face too. Listen, where tired of you talking down to us. You’re here to teach. And instead of teaching, your just running that big mouth of your.” Another girl chimed in.

“OKAY THAT ENOUGH. NO MORE TALK, DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME. THE NEXT PERSON TO SAY ANYTHING, I MEAN ANYTHING WITHOUT RAISING THERE HAND WILL BE SENT OUT OF HERE AND SENT STRAIGHT TO THE ROCK. DO YOU DIM WITTED, PEA BRAIN, SOCIAL MEDIA ADDICTS UNDERSTAND ME?” Mr. Henderson bellowed at the top of his lungs. His voice roared like thunder and caused the window panes to shake. His face had gone from a pale, off colored white to a deep red. He was breathing hard, you could see the rise and fall of his chest through the thin fabric of his dress shirt. He zoomed his eyes on me. His eyes sparkled with hate. The knuckles of his hands had turned white and his old boney fingers seemed to be graphing for support.

A mummer ran through the room. And all eyes shifted toward the desk.

“GOOD, NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION. I WOULD LIKE MR. POTTER TO KINDLY REMOVE HIMSELF FROM THE CLASSROOM. COLLECT YOUR BOOKS, I WILL NOT BE TEACHING THE LIKES OF YOU THIS YEAR. ANYBODY SAY ANYTHING ELSE AND I’LL GIVE THE WHOLE CLASS TWO WEEKS DETENTION.” His voice bellowed over the sound and confusion of the mummers that passed through the classroom. His threat silenced those brave few who would raise there voices in protest. But I could fell all the eyes shifting toward me. So taking a deep breath I stood up, collected my books and made my way toward the door.

The classroom was silent as the grave as I opened the door and stepped out into the hallway. As the door closed behind me, I signed. Talk about making a big splash your first day? Smiling a wry smile I peered toward the sky. If there was some divine being up there, I needed him more than ever. Or maybe I should go the old Hunter S. Thompson route and say ‘God, you better take care of me, or else you’ll have me to deal with.’ I quickly pushed that thought out of my head. Since becoming I had found a newfound source of strength, courage and wisdom. But, I don’t even think Jamie was Jack-dawn foolish enough to tangle with the divine.

And since I was put out of class. I did the only logical thing. I started to roam the halls. Only six and a half more hours till this trail by fire ends.

up
185 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

social media addits.

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Lol does Mr. Henderson think those addicts didn't get his rant recorded to give to the adults, or share to go viral? For a teacher, he's not very bright.

I'm thinking it's probably

I'm thinking it's probably illegal for him to refuse to teach a student just because he doesn't like them. He won't be around much longer. Not to mention the fact that he disobeyed direct orders from the principal and threatened his students to try and get them to shun and ridicule another student. He'll be lucky if he doesn't end up in jail for hate crimes.

Well back in junior high I

Brooke Erickson's picture

Well back in junior high I had to go to summer school because my social studies teacher kicked me out of the class permanently. Of course, that was in 1967 so things may be different now.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

"I did the only logical thing."

WillowD's picture

Roaming the halls is not the logical thing. I'd go the office and tell them that the teacher has refused to teach. Then it's the administration's problem.

!@#$!!&#!

laika's picture

...is all I have to say about Mr. Henderson.

It would have been cool the whole class had walked out on him
but I'm sure there are some there that that agree with him.
Although those two who stood up against his vicious
and uncalled for harassment were awesome!
~hugs, Veronica
.

And if there's a "male race" that Jamie is betraying then there's also a "female race". So wouldn't that make men and women getting together "miscegenation"? That's probably another bit of peckerwood pseudoscience he believes in, but knows better than to rail about it in class...

Cutting your own throat

Jamie Lee's picture

Henderson really screwed the pooch on this one, blowing up in front of a room full of witnesses. Witnesses who will be glad to spill the beans when they are finally questioned.

While it was brave of those who spoke up, no one should have done anything to antagonize the situation. By following the ogre's orders they took any wrong doing off of them so no one could blame them for anything.

Jamie should then have gone to the office and reported Henderson, and to ask what she was to do until her next class. She should have then made a phone call to let her parents know what happened in case anyone tried to blame her for Henderson's actions.

Wonder if the school will have a going away party when Henderson is canned?

Others have feelings too.