The New Life of Jamie Sarah Potter (5)

Printer-friendly version

The lunchroom was filled to the brim with people, lunch today was watery chili, stale bread, warm milk and something that looked like a brownie. A rumor was going around school that Mr. Henderson had been fired, it seemed his outburst this morning had ruffled a few feathers. I considered that a small victory. I was about to finish off my watery chili when much to my surprise Joan appeared and sat her tray down in front of me.

“You and I need to talk.” She said taking a deep breath. “My brother wants to meet with you. Like you.” She said taking a deep breath as she reached down and wrapped her fingers around her carton of milk. She removed the top and took a swallow. She shuttered as she placed the plastic carton down.

I blushed and reached up and started to play with one of my braids. I blushed deeper as I noticed Joan had fixed me with a look. It was a look that made my blood run cold. It was a no-nonsense look that held my attention. She closed her eyes and in a soft tone of voice she said.

“He’s been worried sick, The boy has put two and two together and pretty much figured out that boy being hauled off in that meat wagon was you. And guess what? He still cares about you. He has been more on edge than a long tail tomcat in a room full of rocking chairs.” She reached out and placed her left hand on top of mine and then gave it a squeeze.

“Jamie, the boy doesn’t care what you are. He fallen head over heels with a girl called Jamie Sarah Potter. That you. So, he sent me to tell you he’ll be waiting for you. Right behind the field house after school. Don’t worry, the football team is patrolling the area.”

I titled my head to the side and then in a confused tone of voice said.

“What do you mean the football team is patrolling the area?” I asked.

Joan closed her eyes and took another swig of her milk, she shuttered again. No doubt the milk has gone hot, once its gone hot it's not worth drinking, but beside the sand tasting water, we are provided from the fountain. And that water was often warm and besides tasting of sand, it also left a metal after taste.

“Yes,” She said taking a deep breath. “After your attack, the other cheerleaders sat down and had a little talk with the football team. Pretty much, we told them in no certain terms, if something was to happen to you, then we’ll refuse to cheer at there next game. We said the same thing to the boy's basketball team. The girl's basketball team agreed to shadow you. That pretty much filtered down through the social chain.”

“Wow.,” I said blushing as I looked down at the table.

“The whole school is standing behind there ‘Princess’. It takes guts to be the hostage you know that right? They're starting to call you ‘Princess Jamie’. And no, that not them going for low blows. From what I’ve seen and what my sources have reported it’s a term of endearment. The rumor mill has been running like a racehorse girl.” She said shaking her head.

I swallowed hard and kept looking down at the table.

“So behind the field house, after the final bell?” I asked.

“You gotta it. And I mean this Jamie, please be there. I don’t know what kind of magic you worked on the boy, but he cares about you. He prayed for you every night, and once he tried to visit you in hospital. But the doctor, kind of turned him away at the door. Saying something that the only family was allowed to see you.”

I nodded my head and took a deep breath. I then looked up and peered toward Joan and offered her a little smile as I peered into her eyes.

“I’ll be there,” I said taking a deep breath.

“Good, now we have one more piece of business. Now, I know your new to this whole girl thing. But, as Ben’s older sister, I have a certain say over what girl he sees or not. Now, I’m not going to hover over you both and shadow your every move. But, my sources tell me, that you kissed my brother twice during the homecoming dance. I gave you permission for just one kiss, but I’ll let that slide for now.” She paused and smirked a little as and leaned in.

“But from now on girl, when I say one kiss, I mean one kiss. Not till you’ve been going straight for two months. Then you can do whatever you please with the boy. Now since you’ve been in the hospital. I’m going to let you get two kisses in this time if the mood is right.” She said with a wink.

I took a deep breath and nodded my head. I still had so much to learn, if I was to thrive as Jamie.

“Anyway. See you around school, you be safe now.” And with that Joan left. Leaving me along with my thoughts. I felt my cheeks starting to blush, to be truthful in these last four or five days. I’ve totally forgotten about Ben. The time we spent together seemed like a fading memory. Blushing deeper, I found myself missing the feeling of his lips touching mine, the warmth of his hug and the smell of his body spray.

The rest of the day passed quietly enough. Once the last bell of the day was rung and school was dismissed, I started to make my way toward the field house, the field house was a large shed-like structure. The building was shared by all the male sports team members. As I neared the building, I noticed Ben standing a few feet away.

My heart skipped a beat and my breathing increase, I noticed he was holding something. He also noticed me, because he started to make his way toward me. He was holding something in his hand, a shoe, a women’s shoe.

“I thought, I should return this to you.” He said handing me the shoe.

I felt my cheeks flush with color as I looked and noticed the shoe was the same one I lost the night of the homecoming dance. I swallowed hard and placed the shoe to the side and slowly I lifted my eyes to meet his.

“Jamie Sarah Potter.” He said taking a deep breath as he peered into my eyes. “There a mighty powerful question I need to ask of you. One that been on my heart for the longest of times. But, the more I run from it, the more afraid I become. So, I guess I need to ask this right now.

I took a deep breath and steeled myself for the question.

“Jamie Sarah Potter, would you be my girlfriend?” He said as he reached down and took his hands into mine.

“YES!” I shouted as I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck. “A THOUSAND TIMES YES.” I bellowed as I pulled him down and hugged him. We then kissed, it was a sweet kiss, sweeter than the first one we shared at homecoming. And so we kissed and once more I saw stars. I was about to kiss him again when I looked down and noticed the time.

“Hey, Ben. I need to go help my mom at the store. But can you call or text me later.” I said reaching down and slipping him my phone number. “Please. You’re my prince. And I want to be your princess.” I said taking a deep breath as I waited for him to laugh or maybe just freak out and run away. Instead, he bent down and kissed my lips again and once more I felt a surge of energy rush through me.

“Okay, see you around princess.” He said smiling as he walked away.

I took a deep breath and called out. “Hey, Ben! You are going to be there this Sunday right! For my baptism and stuff. Cause you know, I want you there and stuff!” I shouted before my courage failed me.
He turned around and gave me a smile that melted my heart.

“Would not miss it for the world.” He said winking as he walked away.

A deep blush colored my cheeks and I rushed away. I quickly caught the afternoon trolley, paid the two dollars and fifty cents required to ride from Benton Academy to downtown Benton. And as the tram rocked gently to the left and to the right. My mind flew away and focused on Ben. I wanted more, I wanted more than a kiss, I wanted something else. My cheeks flushed a deep, dark red. Yes, I wanted more, I wanted to be loved by him, to claim him, to be claimed by him to be his and his only. And finally, I wanted to know, how it would feel to have him. Inside me. That last thought caused my blood to boil!

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

1000 times YES!

laika's picture

After the nastiness of that last chapter this chapter was toe-curlingly sweet; and it was a welcome relief. Ben's a real live Prince Charming, and Jamie deserves something good in her life, and in her, uh... well you know, but not just yet for that. Hopefully some day she'll have the full gamut of options in that department; consummating their romance after they're grown up and married of course, for a big sappy "happily ever after" (with lots of adventures between now and then...)
~hugs, Veronica
.

Joan's chaperoning from a distance was kind of annoying, and yet amusing and understandable.

Life is looking up

and yet also much more complicated.

What? No party?

Jamie Lee's picture

Ruffled a few feathers? That might be an understatement, after what he did and said with a room full of students. He'll probably blame Jamie for his being fired, but Jamie didn't tell him to fly off the handle as he did.

Joan is very protective of her brother, which might or might not be a good thing. It shows she really cares for Ben, but it doesn't let him stand or fall from his own merit. It does look like he'll be walking on cloud 9 for sometime after Jamie said yes to his question.

And yet, do his parents know about Jamie? Might they object?

Others have feelings too.

Aww

Love this story:)
Very fast paced but super cute and lovely.
Looking forward to more!

paintversion.jpg