Never Wanted To Be A Girl Chp.6

Printer-friendly version

Raven stops a few blocks away from the garage to gather herself. She was still pissed after seeing one of the men responsible for sending her to jail. She tries the breathing exercises she recently learned from Barbara.

Barbara had found her crying and upset about a memory that resurface from her time in prison. She instructed Raven on how to center herself and let the emotion flow out of her, instead of letting it have power over her. She needed to get her emotions under control before she got back to the shop.

Once Raven has herself under control, she heads back to work. She parks her little pick-up truck next to Kenneth’s Chevy Nova. She grabs the instrument panel and takes it inside first. While she is inside the garage. She grabs a shop cart and takes it out to her truck and start loading all the beer and sodas onto it.

She heads back inside and was heading for the storage room, where Jordan liked to keep the beer and sodas out of sight. She places a few in the refrigerator for later in the afternoon. As she is loading up the refrigerator.

“Where did you go for lunch?” Jordan comes walking into the break room.

“Nowhere." Raven puts the last case of soda in.

She shuts the refrigerator door and looks at Jordan. She was so upset after meeting the guy at Harry’s Salvage yard that she couldn’t even eat. She clinches her fist and closes her eyes.

Jordan could tell Raven was upset. He walks over to her and holds her. He could feel her tremble as he holds her against his body.

“What happened that has you so upset?”

Raven tries to get herself under control, but it wasn’t doing any good. She looks up at Jordan.

“One of the guys I recognized at Harry’s was responsible for me being arrested. He didn’t recognize me, but I recognized him.”

“Do you know his name?” Jordan was curious because he knew most of the people who worked in the office.

“I don’t know his name. I didn’t bother to ask, but he had a bald head and a tattoo of a snake on his neck.” Raven could never forget that.

“That would be Christopher Jenkins. He’s been working for Jake’s father for the past six or seven years. He started out as a parts puller and worked his way into the office.” Jordan has known Christopher and his cousin Laurence Langston.

Raven wonders how much he knew about Christopher “you know him, Jordan?” as she steps back away from Jordan.

“Yes, I know him and his cousin Laurence. I knew they use to be involved in an illegal chop shop operation before it got raided.” He looks down at Raven.

They must have given her up as part of a deal to stay out of jail. According to what he heard, they were into transporting illegal drugs in the vehicles they stole.

“Raven, what happened to you, that caused you to go to jail?” Jordan was curious about why Christopher and his cousin cause Raven to go to jail.

Raven takes a deep breath to try and relax. She slowly let it out. She looks at Jordan “I was looking for a part-time job so I could make some money to buy a present for my mother. I answered a help wanted ad in the newspaper under Craigslist. When I called the number listed for the ad. I was told to go and pick up a blue 1965 Pontiac GTO from a storage yard. The person told me they would meet me at the storage yard with the keys.

So, I took the bus and meet Christopher and another fellow that was with him at the storage yard. They gave me some cash to put gas in the car and half the money they were going to pay me up front. They said I would get the rest when I delivered the car. So, I got in the car and drove it to the location I was told to go. When I got there, there were several police officers and I was arrested. They also found the drugs that had been packed into the car, that I didn’t know about.

When I was put in jail, I found out that the car was a collector piece and the person the car was stolen from was famous. He was some sort of celebrity I never heard of. So, I was charged with grand thrift auto, transporting an illegal substance, drug possession and drug possession with intent to sell, and several others I can’t remember.”

“Didn’t your lawyer try to get the charges drop for you since you were just hired to drive a car?”

“I couldn’t afford a good lawyer and my parents didn’t have the money either. So, I had a public defender that just got his license to practice.

The prosecutor tore me apart and the judge I had said ignorance of the law was no excuse. So, I was lucky to get ten years with the possibility of parole. I didn’t start being changed, till after the first few days. I was placed with a guy named Brutus Jones and he raped me every day my first week there.” Tears slide down her cheeks.

Jordan just shakes his head after hearing how Raven got sent to jail. She should have never been sent and the police officers who handled the case didn’t do their job right and the public defender was useless.

“Raven, a lawyer called for you about a case she is working on. She said it is like a case that was the same as yours. She would like to talk with you. Would you be willing to tell her what happened to you in prison?” Jordan figures this lawyer could investigate in getting Raven’s record expunged.

“I don’t mind talking to her. I do have a question, what is the case about? I know you said it is like mine, but how so?” Raven was curious.

“I don’t know exactly what it is about, but her client went to the same prison as you. Now he looks different then, he did when he went in. Plus, they found a bunch of tattoos on his body as well.”

“If they found tattoos on his body, that meant he was the block bitch and belonged to the person paying for his conversion.” Raven only belonged to a few people.

She was sold and pimped out so much, that she didn’t even know what the day or week was. They also kept her loaded with drugs. It was amazing how they managed to get the drugs and from which guards were supplying them.

“Well, anything you can tell her. It would help the person parents to get closure. Speaking of parents, what happened to yours?” Jordan was curious.

“I was disowned. My parents disowned me because of the crimes I was charged with and then when they found out what I was forced to do while in prison. They wouldn’t talk to me again. My parents are very Catholic and what I forced to do and became went against their beliefs.” Raven couldn’t believe her parents would hold what happened to her, against her when she had no choice in the matter. She had no choice, but they wouldn’t listen.

“Why don’t you take the rest of the day off?” Jordan figures Raven could use it.

“Thank you.” She grabs a soda as she walks out towards her truck.

She pops open the can of soda and just goes for a drive around town. There was a park she liked to go to and walk around. She drives over towards the park and parks. The weather was kind of chilly, but she didn’t mind. After being locked in a prison cell and not allowed to do what she wanted to do. It didn’t matter what the weather was outside when she wanted to walk around and gather her thoughts.

She walks around the park for at least an hour before she decides to head home. She stops at KFC to buy dinner for herself and Barbara on route.

up
351 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Raven definitely got a raw

Raven definitely got a raw deal, makes you wonder if the cops were in on the chop shop and drugs.

Perhaps that lawyer can get her compensation?

Monique S's picture

It would be only too right to get that prison closed or at least get the guards and administration fired, put on trrial and the inmates sent off to other prisons, where the system actully works.

Monique S

Where the system actually works

That IS how the system works. The faces change, but the song remains the same. There is little to no attempt to turn criminals into productive citizens. No rehab at all. That's one of the reasons why 77% of the convicts are repeat offenders. The only skills they have are the ones that got them sent to prison in the first place. Drugs are readily available and for a price you can even get a cellphone. Various gangs from all across the spectrum rule the cellblocks. Every gang from MS13 to the Aryan Botherhood have carved out their portion of the prison to run, and gang warfare is common.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I hope that the Lawyer

Samantha Heart's picture

Can help Ravin & DOWN The dirty cops, judge & prision guabringrds! Get Raven's record expunged & she can get on with her life.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Bizare Thinking

Daphne Xu's picture

... but all too common and relatable.

It's bad enough for parents to automatically reject a son for being accused of crimes. But for being a victim of crimes against their beliefs? Of course it happens: a daughter is suppose to be innocent, pure, chaste, etc., oblivious to sex and anything related. Consequently, a rape victim is shamed, shunned, and subject to the scarlet letter. And here, the son is forcibly feminized, homosexually raped and sodomized -- it naturally violates their religious beliefs to be defiled that way.

I get the feeling that Raven will never get over the experience, and will continue to experience PTSD. (In the military, PTSD was originally known as "shell shock".)

I wish him, the lawyer Carol, and her client the best. I'm concerned that the best they can get is a million-dollar settlement and exoneration for the crime, but leave the prison and practices intact. I hope Carol knows enough to invoke RICO. Part five suggested that Carol herself may be too inexperienced as a lawyer for this case.

Of course, the judge twisted ignorance of the facts (the drugs in the car) with ignorance of the law. At best, the judge made his own mistake of fact -- in this case, unreasonable and consequently no defense in any action against him.

-- Daphne Xu

Wheels starting to grind

Jamie Lee's picture

Now that Jordan knows, and a lawyer with a similar case wants to speak with Raven, maybe the wheels of real justice will finally start grinding the right people beneath them.

The prison guard(s) supplying the drugs need given a real taste of being at the prison. The guys forcing the changes need a full transformation so they understand the error of their ways.

If the prison can be linked with all that's happening then they too need a new prospective of being in prison.

Parents who put their religious beliefs above the love they should have for the children they created, aren't worth the time of day and should be totally ignored. They actually need to do an in depth review of their religious book to see what their responsibility as parents are to their children. Maybe they aren't going to like it much when they stand before God and try to explain why they turned away from their child in her time of need? And maybe God will turn away from them in their time of need?

Others have feelings too.