Weeping Willow - Part 2

Printer-friendly version
20180409111344_13091.jpg
Weeping Willow
Part 2

Bill Waters Run Deep

by **Sigh**
Copyright© 2019 plaintivesigh
All Rights Reserved.

When someone changes for the good, is it "for good"?


~o~O~o~

Bill spent the next hour in bed, cover over his head, pretending to sleep. He actually was texting back and forth to his friend Bernard the whole time.

(Bill) Dude! That was awesome, how u slipped this phone 2 me! Is it prepaid, or what?

(Bernard) Pop got a ‘buy 4 phones cheap’ plan last week. So He, Mom, sis and me all get one. Jan’s on a exchange program til Xmas, so he put hers away. I just ‘borrowed’ it. It’s activated. Need it back B4 Dec. 21.

Awesome! So, I can text and make calls? Internet too?

Don’t call on the phone. If ur mom hears u whispering – busted. Safer 2 just text. Keep phone hidden good or we both in big trouble

Way ahead of u bro. How’s the rest of my old posse?

Man. We all broke up. None active in chemical biz now. Most don’t ask about u.

Shit. Cancel those posers.

Been tryin 2 contact u but ur keepers too strict.

Anyone else set up new pipeline 2 deliver product 2 our users?

Not yet. Gangs from south want in, but haven’t been able. Remember Rodrico Santos? He’s a junior now. Trying to take ur spot as the playa at Montclair HS but he don’t have connections u made. He might sign up with a south town gang, be their little puppet here. That’s what I liked bout u, Willy. U always your own man.

Yeah. Til I screwed up, got caught popping lortabs behind 7-11. Now my rents won’t let me even piss in private.

They watch you pee?? Awk!

KIDDING, doofus. But it’s almost as bad. NE way, I got a plan. With ur phone I
can surf internet 4G & not be detected! Dude ur awesome. I’m gonna get out of home jail w/o doing anything to get me back in juvie..

How?

Leave that 2 me. Then u + I r gonna run sweetest black market pipeline El Paso’s evr seen.

Dude. U need 2 kno. I still ur bud, want 2 help you get free, but I’m out of the drug business and staying out. I changed. I don’t want 2 be sideways with the law, u kno? Uh oh. Pop calling 4 me. Don’t sound happy.

DUDE! WHAT, DON’T TELL ME U FOUND JESUS OR BUDDHA OR SOME SHIT LIKE THAT! WHAT THE HELL?

CD9 bye! *

[* CD9 = parent(s) here]

~o~O~o~

Bill spent the rest of the night reading on the internet using his new smartphone. Finally, at 3 AM the battery ran to zero, and Bill hooked it up to the charger cord Bernard had also put in the box. He made sure to use the wall socket behind his dresser, and he hid the silenced phone on the floor under it. A plan was starting to form in his brain, one that could get him what he wanted most: freedom. However, he needed a lot more knowledge to work out all the details.

Gwen noticed Bill had overslept the next morning. She decided to avoid waking him until nearly lunchtime, mainly because of how that “murder/suicide” comment had shaken her. She decided to fix him a hamburger with mushrooms and Swiss cheese, one of his favorites.

Bill lumbered out of his room, the smells from the kitchen and his rumbly tummy pushing him onward. He sat down at the breakfast nook in his T-shirt and gym shorts and inhaled the food without a word.

“Did you enjoy your meal, son?” Gwen asked. She felt she was taking a risk by asking a question; his silence today so far wasn’t enjoyable, but it was more peaceful than the bile he spewed yesterday.

Bill blinked his eyes and lifted his head out of the deep thoughts he was in. “Hm? Oh. Yeah, it was really good. Thanks, Mom.” He then returned to his musings.

Gwen put her foot down so he’d start his homeschooling assignments on schedule. He actually did so with no resistance; this amazed her. For the rest of the day and into the evening Bill was quiet and preoccupied in thought. His siblings, after getting home from school, noticed it too; Mal was about to ask his brother what was going on, but Angie took him aside to say something along the lines of letting sleeping dogs lie. Bill went to bed at 9:07, nearly a full hour before his curfew. Again, instead of really going right to sleep, he texted some with Bernie and then surfed the internet on his little phone. Always under the covers.

This pattern repeated for the next four days. On day five, Saturday, Gwen and William confronted Bill in his room.

The matriarch started. “What’s going on, Bill? You’ve been quiet – more than you’ve ever been. You aren’t yelling or starting arguments. The schoolwork is getting done on time and you aren’t antagonizing Angie and Mal. I should be overjoyed, but I’m wondering if something’s wrong.”

Bill just shrugged his shoulders as he faced her. “I’m just tired of fighting. I can’t live in turmoil every day. I’ve finally decided to give in and be obedient.”

William was suspicious. “Wait a minute. You indulge in turmoil – you live for conflict! You get joy out of rebelling, out of fighting! Tell us what’s really happening.”

“Fine. Choose not to believe me, William. I’m not going to yell with you over it. I have to get peace in my life.” Both parents stood silent as Bill lay back on his bed, closed his eyes and folded his hands over his belly in an almost meditative pose.

William walked out and returned in seconds carrying a plastic cup with a lid to fasten over it. “Bill. Get up and pee in this. Now.”

Bill opened his eyes – and smiled pleasantly. “Sure, William.” He took the cup and walked to his toilet, producing the sample for his stepdad in less than a minute.

Hmm, William thought as he left Bill’s room. He really gave me actual urine. It’s warm, yellow, and I didn’t hear the sink running. He couldn’t have produced a fake sample like this in that short a time. Well, let’s get this to my pal at the lab and we’ll make sure.

~o~O~o~

At the end of the day, the two parents lay in their bed discussing their middle child.

“The sample showed no trace of illicit drugs,” said William.

“Then what’s caused this drastic change?” muttered Gwen.

“I don’t know, honey.”

“William … maybe this is a real thing? Maybe Bill decided to just quit resisting and try to get along with all the rest of us. Maybe all of the grounding and restrictions have suddenly paid off!”

“Boy, wouldn’t that be wonderful?” the husband sighed. “But I really doubt it. I mean, people can have a huge life shift suddenly; it’s just rare as hen’s teeth. Especially without something transformative like a spiritual experience or huge tragedy. So my gut feeling is that there’s an ulterior motive to all of this, something he’s doing to break out of the life pattern we’re forcing him to live.”

“Well. Whatever it is, I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts. Who knows? If he shows more obedience, maybe we could trust him to be at home alone while you and I go on an actual date?”

“Let’s not ease up on the rules yet; that may be just the thing he’s shooting for.”

“GYAAAAH!” moaned the wife in frustration. “If this goes on much longer I’m going to forget what it feels like to be romanced.”

“Well … you wanna fool around?”

Gwen sighed. “I was hoping for some dancing and wine, flowers and chocolate. That would REALLY get me in the mood. But sure, if you need me to, let’s have sex.”

William proceeded with foreplay, but couldn’t help but start to wonder if his marriage would survive this issue with his stepson.

~o~O~o~

Down the hall, Bill lay in his bed. He’d just finished texting with Bernard; tonight they hadn’t discussed the ‘escape plan’, just girls and music and dreams each had for the future. Bernard didn’t seem to have any focused structure for his destiny, while Bill had planned out at least the next 5 years of his. It all hinged on getting out on his own, and soon.

Man, stepdad and Mom sure looked freaked during their ‘talk’ to me. Perfect, Bill thought. This just needs to get researched and thought through a little more – just a few more days, I think. I need to write it all down to organize it in my head, then burn the writing and get it started.

They wonder how and why I’m being this way. Even I’m amazed at how I’m chillaxin’. I finally have a plan, and I’m totally focused on it; I can finally see a light at the end of this shitty tunnel, and I’m floating above it all finally. Just a few more days of research. Then I need to write – get it on paper so I can think straight, iron out any rough spots and freeze it all in my memory. Then shred the paper evidence and crank this mother up. Yeah. I like it. Snatched!*

*looks good

~o~O~o~

The next morning, Bill knocked on his parent’s bedroom door. William answered, not opening the door more than the space required to show his face. “Hey Bill. What do you need? Your mom’s getting dressed for church.”

“Yeah, William. Why don’t you get ready and go with her? I’m sure she’d like that.”

“Uh-uh. Nope. Nice try, buddy. You know one of us has to stay here to make sure you don’t get into trouble. Is that what your model behavior this last week was about? To get some alone time without a parent around? Sorry. Didn’t work.”

“No sir; that’s not it. I was suggesting we all go to services as a family – including me. I’ve shaved, and I’ve got my dress slacks ready. I’ll need to use the iron on my long sleeved white shirt though.”

William stood stunned. First, Bill had called him “sir” for the first time in maybe forever. Second, if he’d heard right, this boy had just said he wanted to go to church.

“Church!? You … want to … wait. You HATE church! We had to drag you kicking and screaming the last time you went, and that was a year and a half ago. You made such a ruckus that we agreed to not force you anymore. And now you WANT to? What’s this game you’re trying to pull?”

Bill shook his head. “Sir, why are you fighting me like this? I’m getting more grief from you now, trying to live right, than I did when I rebelled against everything.”

Now a manicured female hand slid inside the door edge and pulled it open, showing Gwen. She was buttoning the top of her dress, and had a big astonished smile that she shone at Bill. “Honey, if you want to go to church then you can go! William, stop giving him a hard time and get yourself dressed! You two had better hurry – we need to leave in 20 minutes!”

~o~O~o~

Chula Vista Episcopal Church was an old fashioned congregation that still played hymns with an organ while everyone stood and sang along. People still dressed in their Sunday Finest, too. Wearing a dress shirt with no tie was about as casual as it got here. An occasional jeans-and-T-shirt person might attend, usually a visitor or out-of-towner; but others would stare, some with disapproval.

Head-turning and stares were happening today, but not for unwritten clothing violations. The Eikens were, for the first time in over a year, attending services as a complete family – husband, wife, and three teenage children. Gwen beamed a thousand-watt smile. She loved church, and had dreamt of the day the whole household would willingly come here again.

William trailed all of them, keeping a hawk’s-eye on Bill.

Some older to teenage boys waved for Bill to come sit with them, but he waved them to come to where he was, next to his Mom. He otherwise was eyeing the teen girls, and maybe even the more attractive young adult women.

He’s checking out the hotties, thought William. But that’s to be expected of a teen boy, especially when we’ve kept him from dating. I’ll have to tap him on the shoulder if he starts to obviously leer.

The young man indeed was checking out the collection of curves. He was doing more, though; he was taking mental notes of these women. Who was wearing what outfits, what colors were combined, accessories, etc. He studied how they moved, how they walked, talked, sat down, stood up, used their arms and hands. He’d never paid that much attention to these details before. I’ve got to absorb as much as I can so that the Plan works, he thought.

Bill was so lost in his analysis that he forgot to be bored (his usual reaction) during the sermon, prayers, and collection. As they got up to leave, both his parents marveled about how well behaved and calm he seemed. They decided to chance Furr’s Cafeteria for lunch as a family.

Halfway into their meal, Gwen turned and whispered in her husband’s ear. “Look at how Bill’s eating. Small bites, closed mouth, no smacking, even properly using the napkin and utensils!”

She’s right. That boy usually devours food like a wild beast. Okay; we must be in the Twilight Zone now. What’s next? William wondered.

Neither realized that for the last week, Bill had been observing his mother Gwen and sister Angie’s habits. Not just eating, but living in general. He could tell his family – especially the parents – were confused with his behavior.

Bill was pleased. So far so good. I think I even sense a little tension going on between Mom and Stepdevil. That’ll help.

~o~O~o~

Bill covertly texted his friend Bernard that night after bedtime curfew.

Dude. RU up?

There u are, Bill. Almost went 2 bed. Pretty tired; Pop had me mow and clean gutters when I got home frm church. Saw u there BTW.

WHAT? You were there? Chula Vista Episcopal? How come I didn’t see you?

I work their ancient sound board from the balcony. I just stayed there. Your Mom don’t want me seein u. Thought I keep us both outa trouble.

But dude? U NEVER gone to church in your life! U told me a while back!

Hey I told u - I changed.

I don’t want u 2 change; I NEED u NOT 2 change. May need u for my escape plan. What the hell kind of change??

Not gonna tell u rite now. Ur 2 angry.

DAMMIT BERN TELL ME

Look. Need 2 sleep. Will tell u when ur more chill. Nite.

BERNARD U ASSHOLE

BERN?

Bern. Sorry. I’m sorry. Treating u like shit after all u done. Im a lousy friend. Next time I shut up n listen 2u. Sleep good bruh.

~o~O~o~

Two days later, Bill finally felt ready to map out the Escape Plan. He made sure that all of his homeschool homework was done, as well as any chores he’d been scheduled for. Gwen had rented an on-demand movie for the family to watch – Disney/Pixar’s latest animated offering. Bill watched it for about ten minutes then asked to be allowed to retire early, claiming the movie didn’t interest him (which was true).

In his room with a legal pad and a pen, he diagrammed the Plan with possible deviations and appropriate actions. No stone was left unturned, none that he could see. He’d planned for every eventuality. Except for one big thing: Bernard. He might need his best bruh if the plan was to work. How would Bern’s “change” affect his willingness to help?

What if he’s super religious now? If so, he won’t agree to some of the things I may need him to do. Dammit, I need to know. I haven’t texted him since he brushed me off two nights ago. What if he won’t talk to me now? Only one way to know.

.....

Hey Bernard. U there bud?

There was no response for a few minutes; then

Hey Bill. Saw the last part of ur last text. Apology accepted. How come u no text for 2 days?

Thought you might be mad at me. U never stood up 2 me like that B4.

Just setting a boundary. That’s a pop word with my new crowd

New crowd?

Yeah. See I changed. I attend 12 step grp 4 drug addicts. NA. A group of them also attend Chula Vista church, so I started early summer, and now I run sound board.

But u nevr were an addict! U nevr used our products!

Yeah I did – u just not kno about it. When u got caught, I try 2 stop but no luck. So I went to NA w/a friend. They – and HP - have me clean.

Whats NA and HP?

Narcotics Anonamous and Highr Power

Anonymous. Ur spelling still atrocious Bern haha. So, ru clean / sober now?

Yeah 8 mos. But 2 keep it I avoid illegal drugs, even selling. I don’t like how strict ur grounding is, so I help w/ that – but not getting back in chemicals. So, u have plan 4 getting out of ur sitch?

Yes. It may seem xtreme; freak you out. But trust me. Here it is in nutshell …

~o~O~o~

The next morning,

Gwen Eiken was wondering what she’d lost: her mind, or just parts of her wardrobe.

I know I washed my lilac blouse last week and I swear I haven’t worn it since. So where is it? And I know I have 4 black skirts, so how come I only see 3 here? In fact, my whole closet seems a little too thin … and I did all of my laundry yesterday. Could Angela be … ?

As she checked her daughter’s closet, she found none of her own attire there. That was a futile search. Angie’s still too petite compared to me size-wise, anyway.

She was only mildly concerned about this riddle. After all she had plenty of other clothes to wear. Surely these missing ones would show up eventually. Nothing to worry about. As long as no more items start disappearing.

Little did she know the answer to the riddle would be solved in about 9 hours.

~o~O~o~

Suppertime, that same day.

Gwen was placing the beef and noodles on each plate, along with potatoes, carrots, and green beans.

“Mom, I’m starving to death! When’s he gonna get here? The food’s getting cold!” urged Malcolm.

“Sit down, son,” laughed Gwen. “William texted me seventeen minutes ago that he was getting on the highway. Unless there was a traffic jam, he should be here in –“

“Hello, family!” Williams voice boomed from the hallway garage entrance. “Ooh, and hello beef stroganoff, from the smells. My favorite!”

“Have a seat, Dad! We’re all here and ready – except for Bill,” said Angie. Then in a whisper she added, “when Bill’s not around I can call you ‘Dad’, right?”

“Where is our middle son?” Gwen frowned. “I called him on his room intercom that dinner was ready. Mal, can you go get him?”

“If I don’t die of hunger on the way, sure,” fretted Mal. He got up and sprinted to the bedroom wing.

William gave Gwen a kiss on the cheek as they waited. “How did Bill do during his homeschool sessions today, honey?”

“Oh, he was well behaved, as usual – the new usual, I mean. Got all his work done, and then said he would be in his room until supper.”

“Hmm, so he’s been in that room for all the afternoon? Did you check and make sure he wasn’t into any mischief?”

Gwen’s mood soured suddenly. “William – I am so tired of us always having to suspect the worst from him. No, I let him be. He’s been so good lately. Why can’t I trust him for a few hours? Why can’t you?”

Just then Mal returned to the table, his face white as a sheet. “Uhhh … all you guys better hang on to your seats.”

In walked Bill to the dining area. At least the head was Bill’s. He was dressed in Gwen’s lilac blouse, with an obvious bra underneath. There were two modest protrusions in the bra cups simulating breasts. A black midi skirt adorned his lower body; his bare legs appeared to be shaved (!) and women’s flats were on his feet. His eyebrows appeared to have been plucked (by an amateur; there was an obvious imbalance from left to right). A lightly colored lip gloss had been applied around his mouth. His closed mouth. All other mouths at the table were gaping wide, and speechless. Bill did speak, though; in a light, high pitched voice.

“Hi Momma. Hi Poppa. Hi, Mal and Angie. It’s good to meet you. My name is …
Willow.”

~o~O~o~

To be continued tomorrow.

If you've gotten this far, please leave a comment! Don't make me reach through the screen and tweak your nose!

Thanks for reading!

up
209 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Something tells me his plan

Something tells me his plan will get derailed, especially when he has to live it 24/7 and prove it to doctors, he will either be found out or Willow may eventually become reality.

Brings up an interesting question

Nowadays with doctors supposedly savvier when it comes to diagnosing transgenders, can they still be fooled?

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Mmm...

Mantori's picture

... to a degree exactly where I thought you might go with this. Very interesting turn you are taking, but it will in all probability be a tool to use for his 'escape' and then... who knows, awaken a true self...

Looking forward to how you would let that play out. You have me hooked.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

The best laid plans

Often hit the canvas after exposure to the light of day, like counting eggs you've put in one basket before they hatch. I think I set a record there, mixing 4 metaphors in one sentence. :)

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Oh!

AuPreviner's picture

That would explain the broad simile on its face. :-D


"Love is like linens; after changed the sweeter." – John Fletcher (1579–1625)

"My name is … Willow."

oh crap ... he's gonna pretend he's trans?

DogSig.png

Genius plan, right?

That's why the words "stupid" and "teenager" are often spoken in close proximity.

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Intrigue

Ooh, that’s an interesting plan!! Something tells me it might get derailed though...

Oh now who

would think that?

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Bill's pretty sure that he researched and planned this

to where nothing can go wrung. No misteaks, absolutely.

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Dropped my Kudo and moved on to...

My5InchFMHeels's picture

After I Kudo'd, I moved on not planning on essentially repeating others observations, as soon as I did, I had to come back because I realised that stepDevil had become Poppa, not sure that's going to work in Willow's favor.... Complete disdain then essentially an endearing form of father. May have dug the grave too deep.

Good catch!

And "Mom" became "Momma". Bill put a lot of thought into this, and I think he reasoned that using "Daddy" would be a strain for William and Gwen to believe. So Poppa is still endearing, just not as syrupy sweet as Daddy.

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Very interesting, but stupid teenager (use German accent)

AuPreviner's picture

I would be careful if I were Willow. The switch up he has in mind could turn out to be the switch from a willow tree to give his Poppa a good means to bring about a correction in direction a dressing his future livelihood.

Yes, I am hooked on this story. Write on, Sigh!

Thanks for a great read,

AuP


"Love is like linens; after changed the sweeter." – John Fletcher (1579–1625)

15 years is a little old for spanking, maybe

and in Bill's case, might just feed his anger and rebellion.

I sure appreciate your support, AuP! (and I love AuP as a nickname for you!)

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Oh, and on the German accent

I'm a "Laugh-in" fan too! "Veddy intedesting ... but schtupid."

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Using trans as a way to

Using trans as a way to escape? I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure only a closeted trans would come up with such an idea and actually go through with it. He might be fooling himself, but my "transdar" is going haywire :p.

Transdar? That's a new one for me!

I get what you mean; still, the word intrigues me. Doesn't roll off the tongue like 'gaydar'; I'm imagining an airport overhead announcement about "Transtar airlines" being given by an operator with a bad head cold.

"Attendtiond, all passedgers for Transdar flight 1515; your gade has booved frob gade 14 to gade 31. Please proceed do your dew gade. Forgib be, I hab a code."

I know I totally sidestepped your comment's concern, but I couldn't pass that up! :)

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Nice Misdirection...

As the information slid out during the chapter, I was expecting the old "escape and then hide as a girl" plot, probably with Bernard abetting him by claiming "her" as a runaway girlfriend needing a place to stay. (And that would have been what he was worried about: since Bernard had gotten religion at that particular church, it was quite possible he wouldn't accept "Willow" even as a disguise, let alone a fake girlfriend.)

I figured as part of the cover story he'd have to attend the 12-step sessions or the church (or both) -- the most logical place for Bernard to have met someone new and vulnerable -- and things would get even more complicated. And all the more so if "Willow" were also taking advantage of Bill's old drug connections to become the "new" dealer in his old area. Bernard said the whole gang had broken up and that the one or two still willing to work didn't have a workable connection to a supplier, so the position seems to be open.

Thus, when he revealed himself to the family in the final scene I had to recalibrate things completely. No point in hiding as a girl now that they'd be looking for him that way if he escaped in the coming chaos, and if he got the drug job back in either mode, the parents and authorities would know where to look.

So I've no idea where the next chapter is going to take the story, and am looking forward to finding out. (Won't take long; I see it's been posted already.)

Eric

Best both parents not join search and rescue

Jamie Lee's picture

When Bernie brought the models Gwen said she opened them and made sure she wanted Bill to have them. Really? She searched them or just gave them a cursory look? And might the loose plastic wrap on the box have given her a clue that the box had been open?

William had Bill pee in a cup but fails to search his room in case he's hiding something or holding something from before juvie? William is right to be suspicious of Bill now because of the abrupt change in his behavior. That does not happen that fast given Bill's constant anger.

Gwen just wants her baby back like he used to be, and her resolve to keep the restrictions is cracking. She's starting to have hope where she too should be suspicious.

Oh boy, has Bill stepped into it this time. His idea to present as a girl to gain his freedom has opened a whole can of worms that he hasn't ever considered. His teen brain only thought so far because it has no knowledge what's about to happen. Or where he could end up, and it won't be what he wants.

So Bill didn't realize anything while in juvie, except he doesn't want to go back. And yet he wants to get back selling drugs. He thinks he was only caught because he was taking drugs at the time. He doesn't see it only a matter of time before he'd be caught if he started selling again. And this time when he's caught, it won't be a small slap on the wrist for taking drugs, but a charge of distributing drugs. And because of his prior conviction he won't get out of juvie until at least 18. And then he might have to serve prison time. Smart feeling little boy really sounds pretty stupid, and planning on acting that way too.

Others have feelings too.

Bill is indeed intelligent

But as many people learn (the hard way), intelligence does NOT equal wisdom. Bill's headed for early incarceration or murderous death if he accomplishes his life goals as they currently stand.

Continued good insight, sister!

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell