Music School Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

“Ugh!” Lindsey stops playing when she hits the wrong note again for the fourth time.

She puts the trumpet down and walks out of the spare room she uses as a studio and practice room. She was frustrated that she couldn’t get that one note right. Her lips were sore from practicing for the past three hours.

She had the house to herself because her mother was out hosting an open house event. She was just wearing a loose pair of shorts and a muscle shirt that was a little too big on her. She didn’t bother putting a bra on. Her mother said it was okay if she was just going to be around the house.

Lindsey had the day off from school today because it was a teacher work day. She wasn’t behind any of her school work and she managed to talk her mother into letting her miss school on Friday. However, after what she has been hearing from the rest of the band members, they might not be ready by Thursday.

She grabs a bottle of cold water out of the refrigerator and heads back towards the living room. She walks over to the sofa and flops down on the sofa. If her mother had seen her do that, she would have given her a lecture about how girls don’t flop down on furniture.

Lindsey stretches her mouth to keep her mouth from becoming too sore. She has been practicing the trumpet since Terry gave it to her last weekend. While she is sitting and relaxing, she hears someone knocking on the front door.

Lindsey gets up and walks over to the front door. She peeks through the peephole to see who it is. She spots Ian on the other side of the door. She opens the door to let him in.

Ian had been practicing on his drums when the skin on his snare drums ripped. He asked his friend Larry to come by and pick him up. He figures since he was heading to the music store they use, that Lindsey might like to go with him.

He was surprised when the door opened and saw that Lindsey was slumming it. He has never seen her dressed so relax. The muscle shirt she had on, was drooping low and he could see the top of her breasts. Not that he hasn’t already seen her naked already or had sex with her.

“I like your new look, Lindsey.” Ian had a big ole smile on his face.

Lindsey just shakes her head at her goofy boyfriend “come on in.”

Ian walks into the house and notices that Lindsey was the only one home. He wonders where her mother could be.

“So, brings you by here?” As Lindsey shuts the door behind him.

“Larry is taking me up to the music store to buy some new skins for my snare drum and thought you might want to come along.”

Lindsey thinks about it and figures the break would do her some good “let me change into some decent clothes.” Lindsey heads towards her bedroom.

Lindsey grabs a pair of tights and puts those on. She slips on an oversized t-shirt that had their bands logo on it and her black fur lined ankle boots. She grabs her purse and cellphone. She sends a text message to her mother letting her know she was going to the music store.

She runs a brush through her hair and put on very little make-up. She grabs her purse and heads back into the living room.

“Alright, I’m ready.”

Ian looks at Lindsey. She was dress like most of the girls at school now.

“Cool, let's go.” Ian walks with Lindsey towards Larry’s car.

“Hey, Larry.” Lindsey climbs into the back of the Chevrolet Chevelle SS that Larry was still in the process of restoring.

She was surprised to find that he had put the backseat in. It had a brand-new black vinyl covering that looked like it had been custom made for the car.

“Hey Larry, did you have this backseat custom made?”

“Yeah, Billy did it in his garage at his house.” Larry looks in the rear-view mirror towards Lindsey.

“Well, he did a good job on it.” Lindsey was examining it.

“I think so. So, any new gigs for you guys?” Larry tried to keep up with them, but he was busy at the shop he worked at.

“Yeah, but I don’t think we are going to be able to do it.” Lindsey knew four days to learn the music they were asked to play and with her trying to learn the trumpet wasn’t enough time.

“How come?” Larry has never known their band to turn gigs down.

“Let’s just say the gig we need to do. It needs more time for us to practice.” Lindsey looks towards Ian.

Ian turns around in his seat to look at Lindsey “you think so as well?”

“Yep, I think we need to talk with Terry and see if something can be done about the gig.” Lindsey was all in favor of what Terry’s uncle wanted.
But they didn’t have the people or the time to practice the music he wanted them to play.

“I’m with you, Lindsey. We need more time and more people to pull this gig off.” Ian was frustrated with the deadline and what Terry wanted as well.

“Why don’t you guys voice your concerns to Terry, then?” Larry looks at Ian and Lindsey.

“I’ll contact him right now and have him met us here at the mall.” Lindsey sends a text out to Terry.

A few minutes later, they pull into the parking lot at the mall and as they were getting out of the car. Lindsey’s cell beeps, letting her know she had a text message. She notices it was from Terry. It said he’ll meet them at Steak and Shake at 1:00 pm. and lunch is on him.

“He’s meeting us at steak and shake at 1:00 pm. and lunch is on him.” Lindsey tucks her cell in her purse as they head towards the music store.

Music World:
When they walk into the store, they noticed that Jamie was working. He was helping a customer with a guitar. They walk up to the counter and wait till he is done.

Jamie had spotted Larry, Ian and Lindsey walking into the store, while he was helping a customer. He walks back to the counter with the customer to ring them up.

“Hey guys, what can I do for you?” Jamie looks at his bandmates.

“I thought you were off today?” Lindsey was curious why Jamie was working.

“In return for taking Friday off, my boss is letting me work today since we don’t have school.” Jamie didn’t mind.

“Oh!” Lindsey was surprised by that.

“I need some new skins for my snare drum. A tear appeared in it this morning while I was practicing. Also, some new drum sticks as well.” Ian figures he would pick up some new ones while they were at the store.

Jamie looks over towards Lindsey to see if she needed anything “how about you Lindsey?”

“I’m fine, Jamie.” Lindsey was informed by the guy she took her cello and sax to. That it was going to take a few weeks.

She told Mr. Simmons about the cello and he went to the music store she dropped it off at, to verify that it was a Stradivarius cello. He had a museum friend that could authentic the cello and give her papers on it. He suggests she might consider renting it out for special performances and such.

“Do you want to pay for them Ian or put it on the band account?” Jamie knew they had that choice.

“I’ll pay for it. They are for my practice drums at home.” Ian had spent some of the money he made with the band to buy a second set of
drums. He kept his touring drums at the studio and his practice drums at home.

“Alright, let me see what we have in stock.” Jamie disappears into the stock room.

Larry had gone to look at a guitar that was hanging on the wall. It was a triple neck guitar. He didn’t play an instrument. He just liked how they looked.

“You have to be really talented to play that thing.” Lindsey liked it, but she wasn’t as good Terry or Jamie.

Larry looks at Lindsey “are you thinking about playing something like that?”

“Nope, I’m too short to play that. That’s more for someone like Terry, Jermaine or Jamie. They are talented enough to play it.” Lindsey did like
it, however.

She walks around the store looking at things, seeing if anything would catch her interest. She finally heads back to the counter to stand next to Ian. Nothing interesting caught her interest. She did see that they had sold a few of their cd’s.

Jamie comes back with what Ian wanted. He also had a few more items he thought Ian might like.

“Hey Ian, I found these items in the back that I thought you might be interested in.” Jamie had a couple of air drum modules. He also had some
neon color drum sticks that changed color, plus a device to tune his drums.

“How much for everything?” Ian liked the color changing sticks. Lindsey gave him a set for his birthday last year.

“How about, $50.00 dollars for everything? I’m also including our discount on the price.” Jamie knew their band got a discount when they
bought stuff at the store.

Ian hands over his bank card to Jamie. Fifty dollars was more then he wanted to spend, but it was worth it. He watches as Jamie rings him up.

“There you go, Ian.” As Jamie's hands Ian his card back and his purchases.

“Thanks, Jamie.” Ian accepts them.

“Any time. So, where are you guys off to now?” Jamie was curious.

“To meet your brother for lunch.”

“Where at?” Jamie wonders what was going on.

“At Steak and Shake. Do you want to join us?” Lindsey figures Jamie might as well come with them.

“Can’t, my break isn’t for another few hours.” Jamie wishes he could.

“We’ll stop by on our way out to let you know what is going on.” Lindsey walks out of the music store with Ian and Larry following her.

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yeah 4 days

Samantha Heart's picture

& few people is NOT enough time to learn the songs they need to learn plus Lindsay trying to learn Trumpet is changing enough but in only 4 days impossible!

Love Samantha Renée Heart.