Curtain Fall Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

Curtain Fall - Chapter 12

David and Joshua stood looking at the space where Lady Adrasteia had stood before taking flight. David, for his part, had never before seen the the Fallen woman visibly angry before and it had shaken him to his core. If beings like her had existed in the far past he could easily understand the origin of Gods. Lady Adrasteia’s presence and personality had really felt like a real force of nature. David had felt as if her anger could have struck him down, and when she’d warned the Vice President, she’d felt like Zeus brandishing the thunderbolt. Joshua stood next to him and looked as if he felt the same.

“Holy shit!”, the Colonel said in a shaky voice, “I never want to have her angry with me, ever!”

David nodded ruefully in sympathy. Then both men jumped as David’s cell started ringing. Recovering, David looked at the phone and accepted the call while putting it on speaker and closing the doors. “Yes Mr. Vice President? I’m sorry we were disconnected as we’ve suffered a malfunction with the tablet.” He noticed the Colonel shakily snorting at David’s tepid description.

“What was the nature of the malfunction?”, Summers asked.

“Well, sir, Lady Adrasteia was displeased with your request. She, ah, turned the tablet into a marble and stormed out sir.”

“She what?!?”

“She crushed the 12 inch tablet into a ball the size of a marble. With just an angry glance.”

There was silence over the connection for a number of seconds. VP Summers then spoke in a tired and worried voice, “Have we, I screwed our chances with her? Colonel Thompson, you just met her. What do you think?”

Thompson pulled himself up and responded, “Permission to speak freely sir?” At Summer’s affirmation, Thompson continued, “Well sir, if I have to be honest, we’ve made a number of big mistakes and antagonized her. It is my impression that she was willing to start at least a dialog sir. Our actions by our military have spoiled any chance of having her work for us, however. I was given a taste of her anger tonight sir and I was so frightened by it I almost soiled myself. She has a sense of power about her that seems beyond human.

Fearing the conclusions they might come to based on that analysis David cut in, “Even with that Mr. Vice President, she told us she was still willing to talk to us. Through me, apparently, as she seems to see me as an individual worth of trust still. I have to agree with the Colonel, however. Our actions thus far, have utterly destroyed any feelings of trust she might have entertained for the government as a whole.” David paused a bit, then continued, “I would urge for us to not dig ourselves any deeper. If she discovers anymore actions she deems threatening I suspect we will truly make an enemy of her. The repercussions of that I shudder to think of.”

David and Joshua listened to the cabinet men talk, and it was apparent that Summers was beyond angry with SecDef Spears. David suspected that Spears would be stepping down soon.

When the discussions on the other end of the connection slowed, the Vice President returned to speak with the two men. “Well Deputy Director Feber, every mistake we’ve engaged in has been against your strongest advice and warning. Let’s see if we can do better in the future. You are going to be establishing a new base of operations down there, where you have Carte Blanche.

I advise you to discuss this with your family tonight and make plans...”

————————————

Word of events at the bank had made it to a number of affiliates by the time Jill and Carol got home that night. “World News Now” actually featured cellphone videos captured by bystanders. Even the media mentioning it without corroborating video, however, referenced witnesses who declared that she floated into the fray like a goddess of war. Once there, she “casually” defeated two of the most dangerous powered that had come to light. Witnesses claimed the super powered criminals were brought low simply by a look of fury alone! It was only by her mercy that they were alive at all!

This image of Lady Adrasteia was then contrasted with her open and even affectionate behavior at the stadium. The on air analysis suggested she had been provoked and concerned with protecting the injured at the bank. This duality of behavior was marveled at. At the end of the program the main commentator revealed that a researcher had uncovered the origins of the heroine’s name.

“We can only applaud the appropriateness of using the name Adrasteia! This name is linked with one of the lesser known Greek goddesses. This goddess was the deity charged with the nurturing and protection of the infant Zeus. Other interpretations reference this deity as ‘She who cannot be escaped’, a goddess of inescapable justice or revenge.” The speaker focused earnestly on the camera and finished, “Both descriptions can apply to this heroine. Who ever she is and where ever she is from, we can only thank her for her timely intercession tonight!”

He then concluded the program, “That is all we have to cover for now, so for all, we again thank Lady Adrasteia. From all of us on “World News Now” wish you all a safe night!”

Jill watched the broadcast with dismay and cupped her face in embarrassment. Carol for her part would not have looked out of place with a bowl of popcorn as her eyes bounced between the TV and her lover’s face. Her amazement and humor watching Jill’s discomfort brought giggles to her lips. “Wow sweetie! I didn’t know I was routinely carpet munching a goddess!” At Jill’s groan of embarrassed horror, Carol lost it and fell into Jill howling with laughter.

The next weeks followed in an unexpectedly quiet fashion. Even with the stadium and the events that immediately followed making Albuquerque’s super-heroine a subject of eager discussion, no important fall-out was forthcoming. Days at work saw the expected increase in attention (as her fellow workers were aware of her being Lady Adrasteia) but other than approving nods and conspiratorial smiles and a general feeling of growing pride and even affection, she was largely left to herself.

She also became aware of an increasing number of connections to her coworkers. While nothing as strong as those of her closest friends, they were there. She interpreted this as a reflection of the growing friendships around her.

The big surprise at work came when she was called into the suite of the upper management. When Jill reported she was told that there had been found ways to hide the links between herself and and her old identity. Jill didn’t pretend to understand the legal machinations and she suspected they weren’t entirely legal, but Mr. Grant assured her it was the least they could do to protect her privacy considering all she’d done to protect the city. He even arranged for a legitimate looking Social Security card!

On that front, Jill was surprised and guardedly relieved when she realized that she’d neither seen nor felt any further evidence of ‘Men in Black’, in spite of the announcement of a new branch opening of the F-branch (the government agency charged with policing Fallen, and she slowly allowed herself the luxury of relaxing a bit. She was surprised and pleased to also hear that David was heading the branch here. She suspected that might be because of her expressed willingness to at least talk with him. Her ‘friendship’ with David might also make it easier to comply with the recently passed registration requirements.

Over all, it appeared that life for Jill, Carol and the gang was actually settling down into a calmer routine.

One area that still seemed to be developing, however, was Jill’s awareness and the strength of her ‘bonds with her friends. They continued to grow and had progressed to the point that she felt the touch of her friends anywhere they might be in the city. She’d also become aware of another aspect of these bonds. She noticed that she seemed to drawl strength, both emotionally and even to an extent physically from them! And she’d found that while the default was for this energizing effect to come to her, she could with a conscious effort redirect this flow of energy to the other end of a bond. Carol was very grateful for this on those mornings when she found it hard to get up for what ever reason. Jill could give her a sort of “jump start”!

One night in April, Jill was assisting in making dinner as Carol was a little under the weather due to a spring cold that was going around. She was helping to prepare dinner by cutting vegetable components for the meal. She’d begun to address the onions when, due to her eyes clouding and tearing from the fresh onions, she misjudged the position of the knife and sliced her finger.

“Ow! Oh fudge!”, Jill exclaimed in pain as she pulled the bleeding hand away. She thrust the injured finger into her mouth and as many do, and nursed the injury.

Carol looked to Jill from warming the plate for browning the food Jill was preparing and saw the grimace of pain on Jill’s face. “Oh dear! What happened love?” Seeing a few spots of red on the cutting board she realized Jill had cut herself and quickly grabbed a paper towel and reached to Jill; gently pulling the cut from Jill’s mouth. “Come on sweetie! Let’s take a closer look at that cut!”

Jill allowed Carol to pull her hand. She’d always been uncomfortable with things like blood, even when she’d been Gill, so she turned her eyes away as Carol began to wipe the wound. “It really hurt when I slipped. How bad is it? Will I need stitches?” Carol didn’t immediately respond.

The silence led Jill to fear the worst, “Oh it’s bad isn’t it?!?”

“Uh honey? Look...”, Carol urged with nervous amazement.

Jill, screwed herself up to work past the squeamishness and looked to her injured hand; and watched as the last of the cut finished sealing itself. She blinked, confused. She also became aware that the finger no longer hurt!

“It healed itself?”, Jill whispered in in a tiny voice. Carol only nodded. She focused on it as if a little afraid the finger might choose to just leave her body. “It healed itself in seconds...

Come to think of it, in the last few months, I’ve felt better than I ever have, I don’t remember any bruises or aches. Not even sniffles!”

Still focused on the finger she held Carol sniffed and muttered, “Lucky bitch!”

Jill noted the unconscious envy and reached up hold Carol’s hands in her own. Really taking stock of the cold Carol was beginning to come down with she decided to try something. “If I can heal like this... Hold still!”

Jill tightened her grasp and really focused pushing the energy she felt traveling through the bond. As soon as she did, Carol went rigid and moaned.

Carol felt the power flooding through her. She felt it filling every part of her; even parts that she’d tried to keep private from her lover. Those dark pockets of her heart and mind where she harbored fear of the power she saw that Jill had. Fear of the anger she occasionally exhibited; her almost casual destructive ability. Pockets containing envy and jealousy. Envy that Jill was so powerful and she, Carol, was just human. Jealousy that Jill possessed an almost supernatural beauty and while she felt mildly attractive, she looked like a muddied street urchin in comparison.

All these parts were filled and gently evaporated away in the warmth of the love she felt filling her. Filling her and not stopping. The warmth continued and began to concentrate and cause the affection and need she felt for Jill rise up and begin to blaze! Carol’s mind whited out as all was obliterated by pleasure.

Jill held Carol’s hands and felt and saw her body almost convulsing as she let out a strangled but utterly pleasured moan. Carol had shut her eyes tightly and had thrown he head back without awareness of balance. If Jill hadn’t been steadying her she would have fallen back like a felled tree. Terrified she’d hurt the one she’d come to feel was her perfect mate, Jill stopped pushing and cried out, “Carol! Honey! Are you, did I hurt you?!?”

Carol slowly came back to herself and as she did, she was aware that things had fundamentally changed. She had changed; had been changed. She could now clearly feel what Jill felt! Carol could feel the full breath of what Jill felt. “Is this what my beloved feels with everyone?”, Carol wondered. If so, how did she avoid loosing her mind? Looking inward, Carol understood that what ever link or ‘bond’ they’d developed now made the original link feel insignificant by comparison. She realized, how lucky she was in that Jill really did lover her unselfishly because she knew that if she had felt a need, want or demand from Jill during this outpouring of power, she would have gladly surrendered her entire being to fulfill it. Lacking any demand she was simply left with an understanding that Jill was now more important to her than even life. Their love was was as necessary as breathing; and she reveled in its completion of her being!

Carol’s body relaxed and she slowly returned to facing Jill. When her eyes fluttered open and focused on Jill, they shone with a new light and clarity. Jill then heard clearly in her head, even though Carol never moved her full lips from the smile, “I understand now! Oh my darling. I love you too!!”

Carol saw the the poleaxed expression on Jill’s face and realizing that Jill had actually heard her non-verbal declaration continued out loud, “Oh! I think my cold is gone too!” Carol then started giggling...

Some days later, Carol and Jill decided to take a chance and see if it might be possible to co-exist at least with governmental forces. So they planned a visit to the newly opened Albuquerque F-Branch.

David sat at his desk reviewing the days reports on the latest Fallen criminal to come to his notice. He was a man who very much resembled a Fallen soldier he’d met several months back in that this criminal displayed the ability to move far faster than the eye could track. This one channeled his ability, much like the soldier, into his hand to hand combat effectiveness in some type of martial arts. He’d appeared a handful of times to easily beat individuals down as he robbed them. He was coming to the end of the report when the phone rang.

Picking the phone up he answered, “Yes Mary?”

“Sir,” the voice of his newly placed secretary voiced, “There is a woman at the lobby who would like to speak with you. She said you have a mutual acquaintance, a Mr. Borsage, and that she would like to see you as she registers.”

“And why do I need to hear this?”, he asked shortly, “Why wasn’t she just escorted to registration and testing?”

A pause as his secretary spoke with the receptionist, “I’m sorry sir, she’s not making a great deal of sense. She says she’d rather not be annoyed enough to play with more marbles?”

David froze as ice filled his spine, “Nancy, I want you immediately inform everyone that the lobby and corridors leading to registration are to be immediately cleared. Under no circumstances is anyone to leave their rooms!”

“S-Sir? I. I don’t understand?”, Marla asked with fear creeping into her voice.

“We have a very important visitor in the lobby. And we will do absolutely nothing to antagonize her. Is that clear?”

Mary was a very intelligent woman and he could hear in her voice that she’d connected the dots, “Oh! I think I understand sir! I’ll arrange for the path to be cleared sir!” Mary paused, and then ventured a bit sheepishly, “Sir? Uh, after she is done.. Would it be possible to get an autograph?”

Startled, David let out a little laugh. “I’ll ask for you Mary.”

“Thank you sir!”, she chirped with excitement as she hung up.

Shortly the “guest” waiting in the lobby suddenly heard over the building PA, “Attention!Deputy director Feber has instructed that ALL personnel are to immediately clear the halls of the 1’st floor. Return to your work spaces without delay and under no circumstances are you to leave them. All security personnel are to stand down and take absolutely no action! I repeat, All security personnel are to stand down. You will be informed when these rules are to be relaxed.”

The guards securing the lobby saw the eyes of the receptionist’s eye’s widen to saucers as he looked at the woman standing in front of him after he heard the announcement and realized that she was the reason for the PA message. Of the 5, only one reacted and discovered as he reached to pull his Desert Eagle pistol, that he couldn’t lift it from his holster!

He glanced up in panic to see the woman glancing at him from under her Hijab and Niqab. She tilted her head with amusement in her eyes and she spoke up wryly, “Really?? Do you really want your testicles to rule over your brain?”

The security guard then understood that the woman was responsible for his weapon being stuck and he quickly stopped and raised his hands in surrender; his eyes wide as well.

The woman giggled and praised, “Good boy!”

Jill almost startled as she felt Carol, through their new connection, giggling as well. It had taken a while for Jill to calm and understand that she’d not hurt Carol when she’d accidentally forged a FULL bond with Carol. But Carol herself had opened herself than Jill thought possible and she could see that while fundamental things had changed, she was in no way a puppet. The best analogy Jill and Carol could come up with was that they’d been married to each other more completely than anyone could conceive. The saying “flesh of my flesh” truly felt real now rather than just an allusion.

Those in the lobby waited a few more minutes until the high security elevator dinged and opened to reveal D. D. Feber. He stepped forward to grasp the woman’s hand warmly, “My Lady! This is truly an unexpected pleasure!”

Jill, for her part, swept him into a warm hug. “David! I’m amazed to learn you’re now stationed here!”

David’s eyes took in the officer with his hands up and glanced at Jill curiously, where upon she glanced that way again and giggled, “Men! He’s a diligent officer who just let his hormones and perceived duty get little ahead of his brain! No problem.”

“If you’re certain?” At her confident nod he turned and led her down a hall. As they walked he answered her question, “Well with transport across the nation no longer a matter of hours, my superiors decided to increase the level of authority of the bureau chiefs everywhere. It was decided that since you seem to actually like me I should be stationed here.”

“Oh, I hope this isn’t a demotion for you David, I would hate to think you are being punished for being honorable with me!”, Jill asked with concern.

“No, no. My authority has, if anything, increased!”, David assured her, “I think they’ve finally convinced certain branches of government that not everything is a ‘nail’.”

Jill nodded and they entered a suite of nervous men and women, who looked at D.D. Feber and then to this strange woman who warranted his ‘personal’ attention.

David gestured to the workers and assured Jill that they would work her through the process. Jill finished removing her head cover and turned to focus on who the emotional dynamics suggested was the office manager. Her eyes crinkled with laugh lines at the contained panic she felt and she called out, “Hello! I’d like your help! The law states that the Fallen all need to register. I’m not entirely comfortable with this but I feel I should obey the law.”, as she approached the manager.

The man coughed and glanced at D.D. Feber, then spoke, “Ah, yes! We can start with eh basics then. Name?”

“Lady Adrasteia.”

Someone in the room dropped a mug and it shattered on the floor. Gulping noticeably the man repeated, “Your t-true name mam?”

Jill, slowly shook her head. “No I think that will have to do.” At this the manager glanced to the director and he shook his head.

Quickly understanding that this wasn’t going to be a standard interview He continued asking the standard questions while she distractedly supplied partial answers or refused to answer outright.

Eventualy David had had enough and he barked, “Alright enough! Why are you really here? You clearly don’t really care about registering.”

Jill pat the managers hand gently and turned her chair to look at David, “Honestly? I came to see and get a feel for your agency her in Albuquerque. I wanted to see if there had really been a change in behavior.” Jill sensed David’s irritation at the suggestion of untrustworthiness rise and she quickly raised her hand. “Every thing I’ve seen since I’ve arrived had been has been straightforward. This only confirms in my mind my expectations that you, at least, truly only want to act honorably. For the safety of all.” She paused a bit and grinned. “I also wanted to get a feel for your patience. How much I could push until you hit your limit!”

David shook his head and muttered, “You definitely enjoy pushing buttons don’t you?”

Internally wondering how much of the urge to poke the bear was hers and how much a contribution of Carol’s she slowly responded, “Well.. Can you honestly blame me? If I’d behaved as an honest little Girl Scout, I would have disappeared into a dark hole somewhere long ago.” Feeling his acquiescence to her concerns she clapped the thighs and stood to face the manager. “OK now.What do you want to really want to know?

At that point the manager and David directed her into the “Powers” Lab where they might try to get a handle on the powers they knew about. She happily demonstrated telekinesis by lifting and moving numerous objects. She seemed to top out at somewhere in the range of 50 discrete objects. To test actual strength she wound up being asked to resist the pressure of a leading industrial hydraulic power press. Purely resisting they found her upper limit in the 60 ton range. Translation? She was powerful enough to lift an M1 Abrams battle tank. She had already demonstrated, she could fly. She wouldn’t win many races however as her top speed was not even 15 mph. She also volunteered the information that she possessed the ability to heal much more quickly than human natural. To demonstrate this she allowed them to puncture her skin with a scalpel blade although the she drew the line at that. Through it all she made the effort to cooperate and bear discomfort with bravery and good humor.

By the time the the extensive medical examination was completed they had affirmed her conclusion that she was no longer strictly human. Her hemoglobin was indeed iron-based but the cells did not completely match that of human blood. Simple smears on a slide suggested that she had 50 chromosomes. Her eyes saw slightly farther in to the infrared and ultraviolet range that humans. Finally, her heart was positioned directly under her breastbone and leaned neither to the left or right.

During this time, Jill had carefully monitored the local emotional field and had noted the rumor of her presence had made it to the general population when she felt a significant spike in excitement. When it failed to be followed with anticipation/malice/fear, she felt reassured that David’s honesty had born fruit throughout those in-house. She relaxed and by the time they finished her pleasure and warmth at the “good behavior” was reflected in the excited and fear-free attitudes in those surrounding her.

She even posed for selfies with most of the techs and David’s secretary when he remembered to call her! During this time, more relaxed small talk ensued with Jill suggesting she’d like to have a friendly dinner with him and his family sometime, to which he replied he’d think on it.

Jill also asked if he knew of any special events to memorialize the date of the Curtain Fall in the works. The anniversary was only 6 weeks away after all. He assured her she would know when they were announced and Jill promised to consider contributing to a local ceremony if one were planned. To that end she requested and received a direct contact number to reach David (she was still wary of providing a number associated with a phone she had permanent access to).

With what she’d hoped to see confirmed she smiled and was escorted to the lobby where she left with a much lighter heart.

—————————————

High Mother Anarra stood alone looking out from her palace balcony and pondered the secret papers that had been handed to her only moments before. They were papers that had been smuggled to her, at considerable risk, here in Tirielen from her spy in Beleyaavan. This news shook Anarra to her core.

It wasn’t the fact that High Mother Kadrapra had ignored the agreement to avoid the outsiders for now. Contact with them was inevitable. It wasn’t even the revelations surrounding their advanced tools and rumors of their weapons. It was the rendering, the “photograph” from the Outsider’s document. The document, called in outsider language a “newspaper” showed the image of her niece, Asha! One of the very many who had vanished at the Ripping!

“How!?!? How can she live and my sister not feel her?”, Anarra wondered to herself. The close bond between a mother and a daughter should be strong enough to let her sister know her daughter lived, even half a world away, yet her sister Turi remained sequestered in desolate mourning.

“My love? I feel your pain.”, came the voice of her Yeste' verno' (First Husband). “What distresses you so?”

Anarra turned to her First and saw deep concerned reflected in his look. She moved into his strong arms and laid her head against his chest. “It appears this world is more strange than we imagined! I just received this.”, showing the newspaper clip showing her niece, “It seems, that something in this world is interfering with Turi’s bond with Asha.”

Her First looked stunned at the image and asked, “She is alive?!? How is this possible? Where is she? Why is she dressed as a protector?”

“She is in an Outsider land far to the north. In a city-state known as Albuquerque.”

“How did we learn of this?”

At that question Anarra grimaced. “My spies in Beleyaavan have alerted me that Kadrapra has learned of her.” She then looked darkly at the communications, “Her palace is in quite an uproar over this discovery.”

Her first looked grimly concerned, “If Kadrapah were to capture Asha, she could be used as a powerful hostage to suppress your opposition to her goals!”

Anarra snarled, “I’m quite aware of that!”, but reached to hold more firmly to her favorite as he quailed at her anger. “No! I’m not angry with you my darling. I’m upset at this threat to our tenuous balance.” She disengaged and moved to take up a goblet of wine.

“What are we going to do?”, her Yeste' verno' asked, “Do we even have the ability to find her?”

“I’m not certain, my love. Kadrapah has begun investing considerable effort in learning about the Outsiders. I understand she even has begun learning the language of these aliens.” She paused and then ventured, “We may have to start doing the same.”

Anarra passed the room in deep thought and as she did, her First spoke, “Perhaps we should come to an agreement with the Hi-mother in Retnalpas. If we were to combine cooperatively we might send a team to this Albqluerk and find Asha before Kadrapah might. If we were to send two young ones; one from each city-state to ensure that neither gains undue advantage, they might adapt to these aliens more easily and prove less threatening if discovered?”

Anarra thought the suggestion over and began to nod slowly. There was merit in what he suggested. Sending young might be an excellent choice as those who’ve achieved their majority might have become too settled in their ways of thinking to easily adapt to what must be a very strange world. They would also likely be able to more easily connect with Asha who was barely even out of childhood at 60 years of age. A young one of 130 or so would at least remember the intemperance and emotional vigor Asha would have, while beginning to have gained some of the wisdom of an adult. The suggestion of collaborating with Retnalpas also had merit as it could strengthen ties with their sister state. She glanced at her First and fed him her pleasure and pride in him. As he flushed and leaned into the wave like a flower to the sun, she smiled and said, “This is why I value you so my First! You always provide such good counsel!”

In a week Anarra had spoken with ,Darsaltheer, the Hi-mother of Retnalpas and together they had assembled two young but promising women with two protectors each. They would travel stealthily as they might while learning the language of the Outsiders. Armed with the ability to speak they would make their way to this foreign city-state to the north and gather Anarra’s wayward niece and bring her back to civilized lands again. Turi tried to insist on going with the two but both Hi-mothers prevailed on her to remain home. Two members of the royal house exposed to danger was two too many. Turi agreed only after solemn vows were made that her daughter would be returned to her. Grudgingly she agreed. A few days later, the team of women passed the barrier and into the wilderness.

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

the aliens are coming!

and they thin Jill is one of them ...

DogSig.png

F-branch

F-Troop?

Judged a book by its title

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I had just finished a book about actors when this story was starting to be posted. Being in that mentality, I saw the stage setting. So I figured I'd wait a bit to start it. Got to binge 12 chapters and now I'm all like, "Crap, now I have to wait for each new chapter."

Really liking how this story is going. Love the relationship of Jill and Carol. I can't wait to see how the bond with the aliens works. Also, the politics of the aliens has my interest piqued.

Chuckling...

northmiester's picture

Yeah I know. I’ve become addicted to reading stories a they come out here as well and often find myself having to wait for chapters. It reminds me a little of the eighteen hundreds when authors would post their books through papers like this in a serial fashion!

The delicious “cliff-hanging” nature of the posts can be maddening!

Curtain fall

I am liking this story a lot. I wonder how much alien is in the Lady are there memories carried over and will her powers be a surprise? I can't wait to find out.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

How much?

northmiester's picture

I would consider that almost a theological question. Are there memories? Not yet. As for powers, EVERY manifestation has been a surprise to Jill! I hope you continue find the coming chapters as enjoyable as what has come before!

I can assure you I’m having a blast listening to the Muses! ;-)

wait....?

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Muses? As in plural? That must be awesome. I only have one muse myself, and that finicky muse knows which of my characters to kidnap, and play hide & seek with me at any given time.

Unfortunately...

They have the same powers she does, but lots more experience.

They seem to have the bonding thing,

Monique S's picture

but nothing like the telekinesis, Jill has. Neither do they know how to handle the military and seem unwilling to engage in a fight with them, while Jill doesn't have any problems with engaging them and might even be abe to hijack their drones and use them for her own purpose. Last but not least she knows how humans and the world work, which the aliens do not really seem to do.

My bets are with Jill and her network.

Monique.

Monique S

No Telekinesis?

northmiester's picture

Are you certain? True, they haven’t chosen to engage whole sale with the military, yet, but that may or may not continue. And as for world knowledge, in our world certainly; but that would be a decided playing field advantage thing...

this is going to get

this is going to get interesting if they try to force her to come with them.

Birds of a feather?

Jamie Lee's picture

Getting a look inside the aliens shows, except for their abilities, they're little different than the humans.

What the aliens are talking about sounds more like plans for some high level manager trying to get up one more rung on the corporate ladder, while making sure the other guy doesn't get that same rung.

Those four women leaving the city might be able to learn the language but they'll never be able to fit in by knowing customs and regular, every day nuances that every human has. Those four are going to stand out like a becon in the middle of a dark room.

The head lady of the one city believes Jill is her lost daughter? And Jill doesn't know this? And they think Jill will regain memories and come waltzing home? After all that has been experienced? Including her love for Carol?

If Jill does possess dormant memories of this daughter, might this daughter discover she doesn't want to return to the city? Might she like what she's experienced even though not fully conscience? And might those four women encounter a slight problem getting Jill to return, a nasty encounter?

How are those in the city protecting themselves from the diseases on Earth? They've captured the diplomatic team and whatever diseases those people carry as something "normal" on Earth, are now within the city. Might the mighty flying machines suddenly start dropping because the common cold brought the aliens down?

Others have feelings too.

Too Many Cooks

Are trying to get a spoon into what Jill is currently cooking. If they are so unwise as to attempt to compel Jill to fall in line with their world and its apparent plan to rule/control Earth they are in for a rude surprise. Their apparent lack of any skills in the technological fields might turn out to be more of a hindrance than they expect. People have to be "recharged" unlike a lot of tech which is self-sufficient.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin