What Milsy Did -32-

Printer-friendly version

Milsy begins her day by trying to find out what the Quadrants think of Captain Merek's request. Senidet has an idea, but designing the system proves difficult. Then, overnight, Tarvan arrives back at the palace and decisions have to be made.

grakh on parchment

What Milsy Did

by Penny Lane

32 - Tarvan Returns


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2019 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Quadrant Burran scratched his chin. He stared uncertainly at the two girls.

"Captain Merek requested that you do this?"

Milsy's answer was direct. "Quadrant, have no fear that we are sent on a foolish girl's errand by the captain to satisfy some whim. Senidet and I are both guild members, we have recently installed a number of clocks about the palace and our instruction comes, through Captain Merek, from the King himself."

"Ah, you are responsible for those strange clocks, then? My apologies, Mistress. I have seen the guildsmen about the corridors, and Captain Merek has indeed explained what the cabinets are and how to use them, but I did not know that you had anything to do with their construction."

She smiled. "Actually, Quadrant, it was me who had the original idea. It was when - No, this is not the time to stray from our purpose today, I deem. What we want to find out is what happens when there is some kind of alarm within the palace. What might your procedure be? We know of the ringing of the bells, but I have never seen one and have no idea where they are or how many there might be."

Burran's face cleared. "That is easy to tell, Mistress, and I can show you one nearby easily enough. But, if you would tell me, what is it the King intends?"

"I think the idea is to have something similar to the way we have arranged the clocks, Quadrant. If there are small cabinets positioned about the palace, all connected by wires, such that when a guardsman presses a switch at any one cabinet, all of them shall sound an alarm, and also tell whoever is nearby what kind of alarm it might be."

Comprehension dawned on Burran's face. "Ah, I see! What a clever idea, Mistress! In the manner of the new clocks, then, you will show on every cabinet... what, exactly?"

Milsy shrugged. "Until we know how the existing system works, Quadrant, and what you may desire from any new system, then I could not say. Maybe some kind of dial, like the clocks have. Perhaps... You know the indicator disks in the servants' ready rooms? Perhaps something like that. You tell us what you need and we will try and design something that does that."

"I believe I now understand your purpose, Mistress. If you would follow me, the nearest ready room is just along this corridor and down here... Here we are. As you may see, every guardsman knows how many rings to make for each kind of alarm... I am assuming that you do too?"

Milsy nodded. "Of course, Quadrant. I am not so sure about Senidet, since she hasn't been in the palace that long, but I and both our maids know the calls. This is the bell pull, I take it?"

Outside the door of the ready room, currently unoccupied, was mounted a turned wooden handle which was fixed to a brass rod that went up through the ceiling. The rod was fixed to brackets so that it could slide up and down.

"As you say. If any guardsman - your pardon, Mistresses, any man or woman of the Guard - should hear such a call, the standing orders are to assemble at the nearest bell point, the first person to arrive to repeat the call until it is known what the alarm is about. Or, of course, for the meal and shift change bells, for a number of repeats only. If I may ask, how would the new system change this?"

Milsy looked up. "I'm assuming that the bell is upstairs somewhere? Aye? Then the new system might have the bell mounted on the box itself, perhaps, which would make it easier to hear it. There might be an indicator which showed which box was first used to give the alarm, perhaps. As well as the sound, some kind of indicator would make it plain which alarm had been called. And so on." She smiled at the Quadrant. "Until you tell us what might make your job easier, I can't tell you what we might be able to put in."

Burran grimaced. "Mistresses, I find it strange to wrestle with notions such that I may make choices of things yet unknown. A guardsman's life has only known drills, known duties, known weapons."

She grinned. "Until Lady Garia came along, I deem! Do not concern yourself, Quadrant, it will take us some time to speak to all of the Quadrants, after which we will have to make a proposal to go before Captain Merek and the King. I have no doubt at all that you will all be consulted before anyone so much as saws a plank of wood for the cabinets."

"I am relieved to hear that, Mistresses. So, you have seen the bell pull, what else can I help you with?"

"Um, at the moment I am told you have four alarms, is that right? Is it possible that you want to have more... I mean, different codes for different situations, for example? Like when there is a fire, perhaps."

"Well, aye, we have discussed having a different call for fire, but decided it would complicate things for the guardsmen. Do you tell me that your cabinet could make each call easy to make, easy to understand?"

"That is part of the plan, yes. For example - have you seen our master clock arrangement? No? There is a plain cabinet which stands on the floor, about as high as you. In the bottom are two batteries, which provide the electricity to run it."

Burran nodded. "Ah, I remember seeing it now, though I do not know what electricity is."

"That's all right, it doesn't really matter for my description. Now, at the top of that cabinet are the two clock faces, the twenty bell one and the twenty-four hour one. In between is a panel with switches we can use to make sure all the clocks say the same thing. For the alarm system, we could have a separate switch for each alarm, the guardsman would just turn it and the box would do the rest."

"I understand, Mistress. Aye, that would make matters much simpler, I deem! But how would he know which switch to turn?"

Milsy shrugged. "We would label them, of course, or maybe paint them different colors. And - if I may note - it is not necessary to have switches and indicators in the same cabinet, they could be separate, so for example there could be a... status indicator, let us say, in the Receiving Room, beside the clock, that all might know what the present state was. Or put one in the barracks."

Burran was startled. "Mistress, however do you think of such ideas! What you have described could be most useful to His Majesty's men. If I may go away and think of what you have just told me."

"Of course, Quadrant. This is the first time you have heard of this idea, you will need time to think of what it might be able to do. There is plenty of time, you are only the second Quadrant we have spoken to."

"As you say. If I have questions?"

"I presently reside in the quarters of the Royal Questor, Quadrant, as you probably know. You can leave a message if I am not there."

"As you wish, Mistress." Burran bowed. "And now, by your leave, Mistresses, I must return to my duties."

They watched Burran turn the corner at the end of the corridor before Senidet spoke.

"Quadrant Burran seems not to have very much imagination, I deem."

"As you say! I think that a proportion of His Majesty's men prefer to be told what to do, rather than using their own minds to work it out for themselves. I do know that not all are as... stolid, let me say, as Burran and Jerod." She turned to her maid. "Have you any idea of the time, Bursila? Thinking about it, I don't think we've been this way before, do you know where we are?"

"I do not know where we are, Mistress, but I recognized the corridor we turned off before, so I can find our way back to... wherever you desire to go next. The time, as I may judge it, is almost eleven hours of the morning. If you would return to our quarters, it would thus be time for pel when we arrived there."

Milsy grinned at her maid. "I can recognize a hint! Very well, let us go back there and we can talk about what we have seen and heard so far."

* * *

Milsy took a sip of the steaming liquid. "If I may hear your thoughts first, Senidet."

"I am still astonished that it is possible for you to even think of doing what Captain Merek proposed, and even more astonished that I should be asked to assist," Senidet replied. "It is apparent to me that the project resembles in a number of ways that of the clocks, but there are also important differences. For example, that the switches be in many places, not just where the master... panel... will be." She frowned. "If there is even any need for a master panel."

"Yes, you are right. What concerns me is the number of wires we might need, to permit every call to be made."

"There might be another way," Senidet said diffidently. "Do you remember the bell wheels, that you showed me yesterday when you explained how the old clocks worked? If we may use a similar system, to count the number for each call, a wheel to send and another at each indicator board to show the call number."

Milsy frowned. "I'm not sure how that would work, Senidet. The bell wheels are very complicated."

"Aye, but we do not need anything so complicated. You already have such a wheel in your master clock, for when you reset the hours and bells, do you not? I have heard it, you pressed the switch once and it went tick, tick, tick until it was done."

"Oh, I see what you mean! How clever of you to think of that!" Another frown. "But how would you arrange it?"

Senidet blushed. "I do not know, Milsy. I have not the art. Not yet, I deem. But it seemed to me that you could use such wheels, so that each switch made the wheel turn a different number of clicks, and that also made the wheel at the other end -"

"The receiver, I guess we could call it."

"- Aye, the receiver. Another wheel there can then click round and either show a disk, in the manner of the servants' call disks, or maybe just turn a pointer on a dial."

"That's brilliant, Senidet! Good thinking." Milsy's brain was already buzzing with ideas. "Aye, if I use a disk then there is no need for so many wires, is there? Maybe one for the calls and one for a reset! Three wires, that is all we will need, and there is also the important fact that the switch cabinet, or whatever it will eventually be, need not be physically the same as the... status panel, if we may name it so. We can have as many of each as we need and wherever they need to be placed."

"If I may, Mistress," Bursila interrupted.

Milsy wondered what she had forgotten. "Aye, Bursila?"

"Your pel, Mistress. It grows cold."

"Thank you, Bursila! I have drunk too many cold mugs of pel recently." She picked up her mug and turned to Senidet. "When we have finished our drink, perhaps we could go and look in that box of spare clock parts, see what we can think up before lunch."

"Done, Milsy."

* * *

Milsy wrinkled her nose. "We'll have to build one, of course, to discover if it will work or not. Um, a switch panel and an indicator board."

The blackboard had been covered with drawings and wiring diagrams, initially to Senidet's bewilderment and then to growing interest as she decoded the older girl's jottings. On the bench lay several of the bell wheels and some of the solenoids used to make the electric clock function properly.

"As you say, but should we not first speak with the other Quadrants?"

Milsy waved a distracted hand. "Aye, you are right, of course, but it would do no harm to speak with the clockmakers and have them prepare us some frames for test purposes. The frames are the one thing we do not make ourselves, that was part of the agreement between the Metalsmiths and the Clockmakers." She turned and grinned at Senidet. "Since these new devices will have nothing at all to do with clocks, once we know what we are doing we can make them ourselves! It will be much cheaper and faster."

"Cheaper, aye, if you say so. But, if I may ask, who provides the coin for all this?" Senidet waved a hand over the jumble of parts and wires on the benches. "It is for no customer, so there can be no-one to ask for coin."

Milsy's expression became serious. "Aye, and it is a big problem, Senidet. To begin with, the King required the Clockmakers to provide those two original clocks for us, and some of the other materials were paid for with a grant from the Metalsmiths. A lot of what we have invented now has Design Licenses, which means that the Metalsmiths have a small income to offset the cost but... In truth, everyone is doing so much and the demand for materials is so great that we are all sorely stretched. We are, in the main, operating on the goodwill of many of the guilds, I deem."

"Is there no remedy? Surely, in time this will all balance itself out?"

"Mayhap, but before that happens many may have gone out of business or found themselves with huge debts. We only survive here because this is the palace and we do not have to pay for food, lodging, attire, or even heating now that winter comes. Others may not be so fortunate."

"I did not realize. Living in Blackstone, in my father's house, I had no need to concern myself with such matters."

"I would not expect you to! It was much the same for me at Dekarran - and that reminds me of another matter. You understand that I am only here because of my resemblance to Lady Garia? And that all this around us is because of that chance? It seems that I am a person without a liege, if you may believe such a thing. In my whole life, I have given no oath to anyone. I am assuming that because you are an apprentice, you have made your oath to Lady Garia as Guildmistress? Is that right?"

"Aye, I did... You have given no oath to anyone? Really? What a curious circumstance!"

"Indeed, and now that Lady Garia is back, it presents the palace with a potential problem. You see, all those fine armsmen who follow us around are attired as Blackstone men, and people may begin to ask questions. Such as, why do I get protection when I have given no oath to Blackstone?"

"When did you realize that?"

"While you were boot-hunting yesterday, Lady Garia came over and we spoke. Here, in this laboratory, as it happens. Apparently she and the Queen have talked the matter over. It seems I might have three choices, though there may be other ways. I could join House Blackstone, as you have done, I could make my oath as a Guildswoman directly to His Majesty, or I could become a Guildswoman for hire, contracting to whoever desired my services."

"At least you have a choice."

"Well, as Garia says, yes and no. If I don't join House Blackstone, who provides my escort? I don't stop looking like her if I go elsewhere. Maybe the palace provides... but only if I make my oath to the King, and if I join the King, I'd then be tied to the palace. He would be expected to provide coin for my experiments, but I know the Royal Treasury is struggling with all the new projects as well. Like electric clocks, for example.

"If I decide to go my own way... um, if Tarvan and I decide to go our own way, we could lose not only the armsmen and any funding, but our accommodation and food as well. Aye, the Metalsmiths would provide, but they are short of coin too."

"I did not realize... aye, with everything I have seen since meeting Lady Garia, and everything that is evident along the roads between Blackstone and Dekarran, everyone is in need of coin! New buildings must be paid for, the workers in them must be given wages, materials must needs be bought." Senidet looked at Milsy with concern. "How is it all to be managed?"

"I do not know, Senidet. Mayhap Lady Garia has some ideas. Only time will tell."

"And your own future? Who do you think you will give oath to?"

"A difficult decision, I deem. Since I have an arrangement with Tarvan, then naturally I must needs consult him before I may do anything more. I wonder where he is now?"

* * *

"...So the best way, I deem, would be to cross over the ceiling there, at that junction, then run the wires along the other wall, that way there should be no problem getting past the obstruction, and you will be on the right side further down."

Bassen nodded reluctantly. "I must admit, I did not think so far ahead when I decided this route, Milsy. Of course you are right, it is the better path for the wires to take, if slightly longer."

She smiled at the Master Joiner. "Well, it is only because of hard-won experience installing the first few clocks," she explained. "If I had come along here first I would likely have chosen the route you did, and then discovered my mistake after drilling so many holes."

"Aye. At least I spotted the problem soon enough this time. Thank you for your advice." He looked uncertain. "I must ask, are you busy this afternoon? I would welcome your assistance on the remaining stretch." He shrugged. "Of course, I may complete my part of the installation with only Faranar to help, but the work would be done faster with another pair of hands."

Milsy thought. "I'm not sure, Master Farren. There are certain matters which presently require my complete attention," she smiled at him, "not to mention all the other things I should be doing!"

Senidet tentatively asked, "Master Farren, if I may be of assistance? I know that I have not the knowledge that you or Milsy have, but I am at least somewhat familiar with the task you are doing. It would be a good way for me to understand the way that the clocks are installed and I could certainly be your extra pair of hands."

Bassen looked at her with surprise, then asked Milsy, "Do you vouch for your assistant, Milsy? I do not know what you or even the Guildmistress had planned for Apprentice Senidet's time."

Milsy snorted. "Ha! Master Bassen, I hardly know what I am supposed to be doing myself at any time, let alone what anyone else is doing! It is true that I am supposed to be looking after Senidet while... Lady Garia betrothes herself, let us say, but there has been no formal order of instruction given either of us." She considered. "Aye, since she herself has suggested it, it might be a good way to let her find out how things are done in the palace, and any experience she gains installing another clock will be useful for our next project."

"Ah? Another project? Would this concern the palace guildsmen, then?"

"Indeed it would! The King desires an electric system to replace the present alarm bells, Master Bassen. A few moment's thought would tell you that there will be a number of things in common with the clock system, such as wires along the walls, switches to announce the alarms, and boxes everywhere to indicate what the particular alarm might be."

Bassen thought for a moment. "I see what you mean. Maker! We have enough to do already. Must we needs begin this new project immediately?"

Milsy shook her head. "Not at all, Master Bassen. I am to find out what will be required, discover where the necessary switches and status panels should be placed, and draw up a list of materials, men and time before His Majesty will assent to the project. It could be next year before we may begin work."

"Ah, I see." He nodded. "By then we should know what we are doing, should we not? You will need my assistance to plan the work, I deem."

"And I will be grateful for it, Master Bassen. I know nothing about how guildsmens' time is planned or apportioned. For now, I would suggest that we walk the remaining route for your clock wires and then I will leave Senidet with you. I regret she does not yet have a suitable set of work attire."

The Master Joiner waved a hand. "For now, that should not be a problem, Milsy. If you would all follow me, then. I have another question concerning a junction... oh along here, I believe. Aye. Now -"

~o~O~o~

The knocking on the bedroom door made Milsy roll her eyes. It was still the half-light of pre-dawn. She and Bursila had risen but they were only half-dressed.

This is happening far too often! Perhaps I should just move my bed out into the corridor!

Bursila wrapped her fluffy robe around her and cautiously opened the bedroom door a crack. There was a mumbled conversation and then she closed the door and turned.

"Mistress, Master Tarvan waits without. He looks terrible, but that may be because he has journeyed all night, or mayhap returned late last night and not slept well."

"Oh! I was not expecting him this soon! Bursila, we must finish getting dressed and quickly."

"As you say, Mistress."

The two were now expert at quick changes, especially since they both had need to change from work clothing to court attire and back, so they were soon presentable. Milsy opened the bedroom door and went to her sitting room, where she found Tarvan slumped on the settee. He clambered slowly to his feet as soon as she appeared and the two had a long hug.

"Mmm," he said quietly. "That was just what I needed to wake me up. A very good morning to you, dearest, and to you, Bursila."

"Good morning, Tarvan, and welcome back. I'm sorry, you'll find the palace full of strange people and many things have changed since you left us."

"Hmm. So I noticed. Maker, I could do with a mug of pel and some breakfast right now. I arrived very late last night and just fell into bed. Are you two ready?"

Milsy looked at Bursila, who nodded. "We are, but I don't think there will be many in the dining room yet. It is still fairly early."

"Mistress," Bursila advised, "though it is yet early, there is usually pel available for those who struggle to welcome the day."

Tarvan offered Bursila a wan smile. "At the moment pel will suffice, Bursila. Thank you for your kind thought. Let us go, then."

In the dining room Bursila provided Tarvan with a mug of pel and, at a nod, mugs for Milsy and herself. The only people already there were Captain Merek, Kendar and Shelda, who were huddled together in a corner of the room, apparently discussing something of importance. Since Milsy would rather have more of Tarvan's company than become involved in somebody else's conversation, she led Tarvan and Bursila to another corner.

Tarvan glanced up at the clock. "Still working well, I see?"

"As you say," she replied. "I have not been told of any difficulties recently. We have had requests for slave clocks from Mistress Shelda and Lady Dyenna, and I have no doubt that Captain Merek desires some for the training rooms and even the barracks, if we can manage it. In fact, clocks may be just what they are discussing over there with Kendar, since coin will be the main difficulty."

Tarvan grimaced. "Aye, coin is ever a problem these days, as are materials. Two of the factories have begun some level of production, but on one the roof is only part finished because of the lack of timber. The third factory is held up because all the concrete arranged for the foundations suddenly disappeared."

"Disappeared? What do you mean?"

He pulled a face. "Someone else had a greater need, apparently, and offered more coin for the consignment. I have sent a letter to Master Parrel to ask someone to investigate. If this happens more frequently..." He shrugged. "It may cost us more time and coin, whatever the reason."

He gave Milsy a weak smile. "So, what have you been doing since I left? Any amazing new devices?"

She opened her mouth to reply but then Merizel and Tandra entered the room, saw them and walked over to join them.

"Good morning Milsy, good morning Bursila, good morning Tarvan!" Merizel gave Tarvan a narrowed look, seeing him properly for the first time. "If I may ask, have you just arrived? Surely you did not ride through the night!"

Tarvan gave a weak grin. "Good morning, Lady Merizel. No, I have slept, it is true, but I arrived late last night." He hefted his mug. "This is the first food or drink I have tasted since yesterday afternoon."

Robanar, Terys and Garia all appeared in the dining room. Everyone already there made obeisance and the King and Queen headed off to join Kendar and Merek while they waited for everyone else to arrive. Garia saw the others and beckoned them to join her.

"Morning, all. Tarvan! When did you get back?"

"Late last night, Milady. I have not even unpacked but fell asleep, exhausted, and now I am here to try and fuel my hunger."

"Well, join us, please! Since we're early, why don't we try to bag the end of a table so we can all sit together? I'm sure there is loads to talk about."

Tarvan quirked a smile. "Milady, it is good to hear your voice again. 'Bag the end of a table'? You speak as though a Palarandi born but your word choices are refreshingly unusual." He nodded. "As always, you make sense whichever words you use. Aye, there is much to discuss since you departed those months ago." He smiled again, warmly this time. "You brought me another treasure, one who more than doubles my meager efforts in the new world of electricity."

"I did, and it never occurred to any of us that you would be waiting when Milsy reached the palace. What happened?"

"If I may tell you all another time, Milady. The tale must needs include those things we have discovered and devised."

"Like electric clocks? Perhaps you're right. A moment, I must have a word with the Queen."

Terys joined them at a gesture from Garia and everybody bowed and curtseyed.

"Master Tarvan. We are so pleased to have you return to court."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. I only arrived late last night so I do not yet have all my wits about me."

"As you say. Shall we see you at the next Council?"

"Aye, Ma'am. There is much to report."

"Ma'am," Garia said, "Since Tarvan has returned we'd like to sit together for breakfast. It will give us a chance to catch up on all the news."

"Of course, dear. We will speak later."

They made small talk until the late arrivals appeared. Milsy and the others found seats together and the girls' maids began to serve out their breakfasts.

"Milady," Tarvan addressed Garia, "if I may ask, where is Prince Keren today? I do not see him among those eating."

"He left at dawn, to take an embassy along the length of the Valley. We've just been out the front seeing his party off. If you did not know, we are at war with Yod and the King wants to find out if he has any allies out there."

Tarvan nodded, his expression somber. "Aye, I had learned of your battle while I was at Teldor. The town talked of nothing else. Is it true that those of Yod had an Earth person like yourself?"

"It is true, though unlike me he stayed a boy. Unfortunately he was killed during the battle."

"Those of Yod brought him to the battle? A strange tactic."

"They thought to use him as a hostage against me. They knew I would be unable to resist speaking to him so would give myself up rather than see him hurt."

He shook his head. "These people do not know the meaning of honor."

"Tarvan, you have no idea."

His head turned. "Who is that girl sitting next to the Queen? I have not seen her at court before."

Milsy replied, "Ah, she appeared fairly recently, Tarvan. She's Princess Eriana of Einnland and she's run away from her father."

Merizel added, "She discovered that Palarand's Prince needed a consort and so she presented herself at court, not knowing that Keren had already made his choice."

Tarvan smiled at Garia. "And I learned that at Dekarran, Milady. You have my warmest congratulations. I did not know that another had entered the contest."

"She only did it to escape her father, Tarvan," Milsy said. "She is hot-tempered and not technically minded as we four are."

"Do you include me?" Merizel said, with a raised eyebrow. "I play the part of a Scribe and I may organize Garia's time, but I am not as clever as the three of you. I am honored to be in your company but I am not of the same cloth."

"Don't sell yourself cheaply, Merry," Garia said. "Your qualities are just what I need to balance me. We work together perfectly as a team. As for these two mad inventors, well..."

"Mad inventors!" Milsy grinned. "I like the sound of that. Mayhap you are right, Garia." Her expression sobered. "I have considered what we spoke of some days past, Garia, and I desire to consult Tarvan before I make any decision. With your approval?"

"You have it. If you two are going to be together then it makes sense that you should talk this thing out, since it will affect both of you."

"Thank you, Garia. If I may ask, what are your plans today?"

"As you can see by my attire I'm going to the training rooms after breakfast. This afternoon... Merry, what am I supposed to be doing?"

"That's an easy question, Garia. You have a meeting with every single guildsman in Palarand."

"Very funny." She sighed. "Also probably true." She grinned at Milsy and Tarvan. "Did you miss me?"

Milsy grinned back. "A little, though we found some distractions of our own."

Garia turned back to Merizel. "So, who exactly?"

"Parrel, naturally. Hurdin and Haflin, although I imagine Haflin will want to talk weapons so he'll have to wait. Fulvin, now I think of it. Selvar, the paper maker. Pitchell. Margra. These two, of course. Do you want me to get my list out?"

Garia waved a hand. "No, we'll start at the top, I think. I also have to keep Eriana occupied and I'm supposed to be teaching her how to meditate."

Milsy asked, "Meditate? What's that?"

Garia gave them a rough description.

"Um, can we join in? It sounds like a useful way of calming the mind and focusing one's thoughts, which can be good for someone like myself. Sometimes I can be easily distracted."

Garia thought hard, then nodded.

"It makes a kind of sense. There's no reason Eriana is the only person who has to learn and it's a little bit more knowledge that I'm spreading around, isn't it? Let's set up a session for us four plus Eriana, then, say two bells before the evening meal. Can we do that, Merry?"

"Aye, if Her Highness is willing. Master Tarvan, Mistress Milsy, will that time be okay?"

Milsy grinned. "Okay? I see you are picking up Garia's strange words. Aye, we will be ready. Where will you do it, Garia?"

"We don't need anywhere special, just a bit of space and no distractions. My sitting room, then."

"Agreed."

* * *

"So that is what Lady Garia discovered," Milsy said. "I'm not, technically, anybody's vassal at all."

Tarvan scratched his chin. "It is not an unusual occurrence, Milsy. It is possible that there are many in the same situation as you, and that many of those will go their entire lives without making any oath. It does not mean that they will not follow the King, should he ask them to, or that they would behave in an unseemly manner."

"As you say, but it was a surprise to me. There I was, wandering about the palace in gowns fit for... a Princess, now I think on it, and no-one at all has a claim on me!"

"That is not entirely true, Milsy. You have made your oath to the Metalsmith's Guild, have you not?"

"Oh. You are right, of course, but that is not the same thing and you know it. So, what should we do? I say we, since I would not make any decision without your agreement. Indeed, it might make sense for you to do the same thing, then at least we would not be split up in the future."

"You're thinking about joining House Blackstone, I believe?"

"I can't remain here much longer," Milsy said. She waved a hand round. "Look at this place! It seemed like a good idea at the time, but the study is still full of Morlan's papers and the bedroom is overflowing with our winter clothes! That big laboratory is fine when the weather is good but now that winter is here it takes a long time to heat up before we may do anything."

"But joining House Blackstone provides no answer, Milsy. You may still have to live here, probably for the whole winter." He thought. "Or do you know something more?"

"I have heard nothing, Tarvan. But, before you came back, I considered whether it might be a good idea to move out and find somewhere more suitable, for example somewhere in Pakh Lane. At least we would be nearer our source of toolmakers and brass parts."

"Oh! That's a good idea, Milsy."

She grinned. "I do have them every now and then. There's another thing Lady Garia mentioned which might influence your thinking, and that is her treasury. If we joined Blackstone it would make a big difference to our funding problems."

"But - you would - she told you that?" Tarvan considered. "It would make sense. If I may consider it this afternoon. I have been wondering how we were going to manage the future, and House Blackstone would offer a good way to do it. I believe that Lady Garia would be -"

There was a knock, and then Parrel's head poked around the sitting room door.

"Ah, good. I have managed to find you!"

The two stood. "Master Parrel! Good afternoon." Milsy's expression changed. "Is something wrong?"

"Maker, no!" Parrel waved a dismissive hand. "Since Lady Garia has returned, there is to be a meeting of the Council of the Two Worlds this afternoon, so that everyone may know what all the others have been doing since she went north. I regret that you are not able to join us."

"Master Parrel, it is probably better that I do not, since I deem I would only cause delay to the proceedings. I'm sure that Tarvan will tell me everything that I must know."

"As you say. We rely on each other's trust, and I am sure that he will not abuse that trust, as I am sure that you will not say anything that he does tell you to others." Parrel smiled at both of them. "I am also sure that you could probably work out most of what we talk about anyway."

Milsy blushed. "Master Parrel, I am not what you make me out to be! If I may ask, does your presence here this afternoon mean that the inquiry into the boiler explosion is now complete?"

"Aye, it is, apart from some tidying up and adjustments to some of our procedures." The Guildmaster shook his head. "I doubt we will ever make our workplaces completely safe, but it is a start. We have decided to create a new Division of the Institute which will be concerned entirely with the safety and practices of all our workplaces. This should replace -"

There was another knock at the door, this time a footman.

"Guildmaster, Craftmaster, the King desires your presence in the Committee Room."

"Oh! Then Tarvan and I must go." To Milsy he said, "I will come another day and find out what you have all been doing. For now, we must attend the King."


* * *

Tarvan greeted Milsy with a brief kiss. "We have finished the Council meeting," he said, "and now Lady Garia desires to teach us the... meditation... I believe she called it. Shall you join us?"

"Upstairs? Aye, of course."

"I have thought about the matter of oaths and it might be best if we discussed it after the evening meal. In here?"

"As you wish, Tarvan. I think the sooner we have our futures settled, the better. Bursila, are you ready?"

"Aye, Mistress."

Milsy and Bursila followed Tarvan upstairs to Garia's suite, where she, Merizel and Tandra were already waiting in the sitting room. Shortly, Jenet returned with Eriana and her two maids. Garia rubbed her hands together.

"Right, let's push back the chairs, tables and settees against the wall so we have enough room to sit comfortably on the floor."

Eriana raised an eyebrow. "You want us to sit on the floor, Garia?"

Garia shrugged. "It's traditional, although you can practice this anywhere once you understand what's going on."

She lowered herself onto the carpet, crossing her legs and pulling her skirt tidily over her knees. After some hesitation the others followed, leaving just Eriana's maids standing.

"Oh! I'm sorry, Tarvan, are you comfortable? I know that the female body can do this much easier than a man's can."

"I can do it, Milady. Some parts of my body seem tight, I trust this will improve with practice?"

"Up to a point, yes. Your hip joints are hinged differently than ours are and you're old enough that probably won't change. But, yes, it should become easier with practice, and I can give you some extra stretching exercises to help make you a little more flexible."

"I understand, Milady."

Eriana asked, "What must we do now, Garia?"

Garia thought before speaking. She had to phrase things in such a way that Eriana wouldn't take offense.

"Okay. The purpose of these exercises is to help you gain control of your mind and body. Particularly when emotions are running high, you're not really in control of yourself and that can be a bad thing in certain circumstances. Fear, anger, panic, shock, these are all things that can make your body do things you might not want it to. I can't make you take control of your own body, you can only do that by yourself. What I can do is to help you know when things are going wrong and what you can do to put them right."

Eriana nodded. "Good. That is just what I desire."

"Two things," Garia continued, "the mind and the body. To control and stabilize the mind you must learn to rid it of unwanted thoughts. To control the body, the first step is to control your breathing. We'll begin by focusing on breathing, since by doing that you can train your mind to ignore outside distractions."

Garia corrected the posture of most who were seated in their circle, noting that Jenet and Bursila were already correctly positioned.

"Okay, close your eyes to block out distractions. Just listen to the sound of my voice. Breathe in slowly and hold until I tell you to let it out. ...And out. In..."

* * *

"So, what have you decided?"

"I was struck, during this afternoon's meeting, just how much Lady Garia - the Guildmistress - is presently involved in." Tarvan shook his head. "I know not what manner of town Blackstone might be, but it seems they already have many ideas of their own, almost as many as you have managed down here in the capital. To be brief, I believe that House Blackstone is going to be at the center of whatever happens in Palarand, and thus it is needful that you must be part of it too, to make best advantage of your talents."

Milsy frowned. "I cannot deny your logic, Tarvan. But what of your own desires? I do not want to force you to do something you would rather not."

He smiled at her. "Dearest, you are the important part of the partnership we will soon enjoy. If you would go to House Blackstone, then I will willingly follow you. Have no fear that I may resent such a move."

Milsy stared at Tarvan for a brief moment and then went into his arms. "I cannot do this on my own, Tarvan, I know that. With your assistance, and with your invaluable advice, we may both do more than either may do alone. But there is another we must consider."

She turned to Bursila. "If we choose to go to House Blackstone, Bursila, I would not force you to come with us. Our original association was by mere chance, the King's scheme to get Lady Garia secretly out of Dekarran. You may choose to stay with me, to remain here in the palace, perhaps, to return to Lady Merizel - or to do something else."

Bursila dipped briefly. "Mistress, since we have resided in the palace I have learned things no maid would normally learn. I have seen new devices and been places I would not have done were I just a ladies' maid. I have made new devices! I believe that, as Master Tarvan has said, you will need my assistance just as much as you will need his, though of a different kind. Mistress, if you go to House Blackstone, then by your leave I would follow you."

"And what of Lady Merizel?"

"It is my understanding that her needs have changed as much as your own have done, Mistress. I have heard talk of Count Terinar... it is possible that Milady may desire to build a new household should she marry."

Milsy eyebrows rose. "You think they are matched?"

"I have spoken awhile with Jenet, and she has said that it is very likely, Mistress. Though they were apart after Lady Garia left Dekarran to go north, Count Terinar wrote her frequently and he was waiting for her at Holville on their journey back. The mutual attraction was obvious to all."

"Well! That is something I did not know. Very well, Bursila. Thank you for the news. We have agreed on our own choices? Good." Milsy considered. "I wonder, should the Queen be available for a talk? I want to make sure that we have not forgotten something before we take so big a step."

One of the armsmen outside the suite found a footman who went off to make an inquiry. The Queen, apparently, was available for an audience. Milsy, Tarvan and Bursila followed the footman up the stairs to the Queen's Sitting Room.

"Please be seated, Milsy, Tarvan. Are you yet recovered from your journey, Master Tarvan?"

"Aye, Ma'am, though the changes to the palace, and the press of new faces, is almost as confusing."

"As you say. If I may ask why you desired to see me, though I suspect it concerns Milsy's present status, does it not?"

"Aye, Ma'am," Milsy replied, "but I wanted to speak with Tarvan before I decided anything. You see, there would be no point me making an oath to someone if Tarvan then had to go off somewhere else. Since we have an arrangement, we should both do the same thing."

"Of course, dear. And what is your decision?"

"Ma'am, we thought it through and Tarvan pointed out that since Lady Garia is head of House Blackstone that is where many of the interesting projects are likely to be in the future." Milsy smiled at the Queen. "Considering the sort of person I seem to be, it would probably be the best place for me to be as well. Tarvan says that he will be happy enough to go there. After all, Lady Garia did a lot of the early work with him, anyway."

"As you say. And Bursila? Are you happy to follow Milsy, or would you desire to do something else?"

Bursila curtseyed. "Ma'am, Mistress Milsy already asked me that question, and I am content to go to House Blackstone with her. After all, I am more than maid now, I am also her laboratory assistant."

"Indeed. We have followed your own activities with interest, dear. It shows our other servants that there might be more that they may do in future." Terys turned to Milsy and Tarvan. "I must ask you, shall you make your oaths to House Blackstone, or to Baroness Garia personally? There is a difference."

The two looked at one another, surprise on both their faces.

"Ma'am? If you would explain."

"You do understand that, unless something unfortunate happens, Garia will marry Keren at Spring Dawning? And that as a Princess she will then become part of the royal household? There are particular arrangements in place for House Blackstone should anything like that happen to the person that heads the house." The Queen frowned. "Hmm. I think it would be a good idea if Kendar explained to you exactly what might happen. It should make your choice easier."

A rope was pulled, a footman instructed, and shortly the Chamberlain appeared, bowing to the Queen.

"Ma'am?"

"Kendar. Master Tarvan, Mistress Milsy and Bursila are considering making oaths to House Blackstone... or, mayhap, to Lady Garia herself. If you would explain to them what provision has been made should the head of the house do something like, oh, marry a Prince, for example."

Kendar hid a smile. "As you command, Ma'am. Master Tarvan, Mistress Milsy, when the Barony was created, the King and Queen had particular concerns over what would happen should -"

He then explained the special provisions in the Grant of Barony document which had started the whole business off.

"- so in my professional opinion, it would be more practical, from the point of view of the projects you both do, that you make your oaths to the House, not the person. That way your work would not be interrupted as it would were you personal vassals of Her Highness... as she would become."

Milsy nodded, and had answering nods from Tarvan and Bursila.

"Ma'am, Kendar has explained it well. It looks like we'll be joining the House, then - assuming Lady Garia agrees. What do we do now?"

"That is simple enough, dear. Garia is next door, I believe, and Kendar is here to provide the wording of the oaths, so we may proceed immediately." She raised an eyebrow. "Unless you have other duties?"

"Ma'am, if you please, we'd like to have it done now so everyone knows where they stand."

"Just so. Varna, if you would fetch Garia, please."

Varna departed and shortly returned with Garia, Merizel and their two maids. Garia and Merizel curtseyed and Terys indicated that they should find seats. To Garia's surprise, it was Milsy who stood before her and curtseyed.

"My Lady, I've thought about what we spoke of earlier and I have come to a decision. Only..."

"Milsy?"

"I talked it over with Tarvan and we decided to ask you if we could both join your house. Would that be acceptable, Milady?"

Milsy watched Garia's eyes widen.

"Why, yes, I think so." She turned. "Ma'am, I assume this has your approval?"

"It does, dear. I thought about what might happen in the future and I see no obvious difficulty. You understand they will belong to House Blackstone and not to the royal household?"

"I do, Ma'am." She addressed the guildsman. "Tarvan, as the only person present who has any idea about guild rules, how does this work? I thought you could only give oaths to the Guild itself."

"Not so, Milady," he replied. "I may make my oath to the guild, as you describe, when I am of suitable rank, and then offer my services under contract, or I may bind myself to any master who will take me. The situation is common enough, Milady. In the palace are such guildsmen as Fulvin and Haflin, who have given oaths to the crown. If you would have me, I will give you my oath."

They saw Garia studying their faces. She nodded.

"I accept."

Terys said, "Kendar, shall you provide the standard oath, appropriate for such occasion?"

"Aye, Ma'am."

"Merizel, shall you copy such oaths that they may sign them, along with your liege lady?"

"Ma'am, I will."

With Kendar acting as witness, and with Terys countersigning, speaking of the oaths and recording the facts took very little time.

"Milsy, Tarvan, welcome to House Blackstone." Garia smirked. "I know you only did it to get your hands on my treasury."

Terys was outraged. "Garia!"

"Ma'am, I specifically pointed out to Milsy that access to my treasury was one of the reasons she might consider. It appears that the Hall of the Guilds is tight for funds right now."

"Ah. As you say." The Queen was mollified. "But I shall warn this pair that I will be watching their progress closely. I do not want Garia's income to be squandered, it will be sorely needed for future projects."

"Ma'am," Milsy said, "We know this. It is likely that we will be thinking up many of those future projects, and we will always be careful with Garia's coin. After all, without Garia, Tarvan would be making arrow heads and I would still be a kitchen servant."

"Quite so." Terys bestowed a beam of approval. "Garia, my dear, you have gathered around you some clear-headed and talented young people. We look forward to the future of House Blackstone."

up
220 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Shortages

Wow didn't realize that it was that extreme, from Garia's perspective the extent wasn't as apparent, it will sort itself out with the help of more efficient construction techniques but avian and egg...

There are several major

There are several major problems that they're trying to work out.

1) Production. Moving from a cottage industry scale to mass production is a strain on materials.
2) Transportation. The road and delivery system are designed around muscle, wind, and water, which limits carrying capacity.
3) Finance. When your sock is your bank, the money can't move around unless you loan it to someone else yourself. Most people aren't capable of locating good investments, and the amount one person can invest is often extremely small. Thus the invention of the original investment groups, which were families - such as the House of Fugger.

People look at the rich, and constantly belittle them for not paying 'enough', for some strange reason. In reality, the rich tend to have very little on-hand cash. Most of their 'money' was in the businesses and investments that they owned (big houses, etc). They paid wages for servants, for food, for transportation, wages for the businesses, materials, etc. If they held onto their money, much like feudal aristocrats, then the money would be locked up until they paid for something. This made the money systems in their area either feast or famine - with the largest surplus being right before taxes were paid - which would take most of that money back out of circulation.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I'm aware, fortunately they

I'm aware, fortunately they have started establishing banks, and not a moment too soon, and can fairly easily expand the drainage canals for small barges, lumber will be hardest to scale up, they could get into cable logging which will help, but only so much, it is fortunate that they have heavily wooded areas, as opposed to what was once known as "the great American wastelands" their biggest shortage right now at least is perhaps workforce,

It would be difficult to

It would be difficult to expand very many of the drainage ditches to use as canals. They _must_ be able to drain water, which means that most of them can't be allowed to hold enough water to move barges (in the dry season). Otherwise, in the wet season, they'd overflow.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Unless you use locks that

Unless you use locks that will permit drainage when needed. They mostly seem to be using them at industrial sites and such. It also seems that the barges they are using for them aren't much bigger than wagons, so they aren't widening the ditches much

Remember that Garia mentioned

Remember that Garia mentioned locks at Blackstone, and neither Guildsman recognized the term. So they apparently haven't been using locks - just straight canals to go around bows in the river.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

There will be...

Bottle necks at every point. Yet the market will generally sort such things out. FEX you have a load of concrete ready to ship, someone offers a higher price than you quoted the original intended recipient. Thus you may know that you need either more temporary laborers, or to actually increase your total crew. Because you know that demand for your product is rising. The faster that information can be communicated from buyer to seller the faster the adjustments can be made on both ends... everything from multi-sourcing to expanding current crews will get explored.

Of course simply doubling the

Of course simply doubling the number of workers doesn't double production,

One problem here is that when

One problem here is that when you've agreed to deliver a product for X amount at X time, you're supposed to honor that contract. Selling it out under customer A to customer B because B offered more money isn't a good way to keep a customer, unless you get customer A to agree to wait for the next load.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Or you are the only source

LibraryGeek's picture

If no one else is producing the product, how your customers feel about you doesn't matter if you are willing to do that type of thing in the first place.
Even if there are other manufacturers, if demand is sufficiently greater than overall production, you'll still get all the customers you desire.

It's only when they have a viable alternative source for what they desire that it matters what they think of you.
So, if you've jerked your customers around this way, and someone else enters the market and has sufficient production capacity, you may find that what seemed a good thing in regard to short term profit became a bad thing in regard to long term viability of your firm.
But until that happens, those who would do this type of thing will see no downside to it.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Except that when you violate

Except that when you violate contracts, there are generally laws in place.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Cost Plus

That's why in that situation the vendor does everything in their power to make sure it is a Cost Plus contract... That way they can even get paid to repair major components they dropped, while years behind schedule and billions of dollars over budget, even as private sector competition is rearing it's head and starting to compete in capabilities...

Thank you

Speaker's picture

Well worth waiting for. :)

Speaker

Enjoying

the social relationship details of the other characters too. I wish I could give a new kudos each time I have read the main story as I am now enjoying the 4th reading. I hope that doesn't mean I am getting so forgetful I can't remember the plot-line.

Income from inventions

So, since Tarvan and Milsy are developing stuff on Garia’s coin, does any income from it automatically go to her also? It would be no different from modern day employee inventions where patent rights devolve to the employer.

I am sure Garia may be more generous than that but I don’t see why she should not get a substantive share of it.

Coin from inventions

An interesting point, and one that I don't believe has been covered anywhere.

Once the two go to Blackstone, I would assume that anything they do adds to Blackstone's coffers, just as you describe. Previous to that, I'm not certain. Either it went to the Crown or to the Metalsmiths.

I don't think that either Tarvan or Milsy is going to feel hard done by here. After all, they are going to have access to a very good line of credit to fund future experiments.

Penny

I always assumed it would be

I always assumed it would be like the arrangement for paper, the crown funded the development so both it goes to both the crown and herself...

Paper

I don’t believe the crown funded paper development. If I recall, Garia showed the guilds and the guilds found their own startup capital. The crown gets taxes but that is it I think.

As a wage slave myself, I would hope that my employer would compensate me commensurate with my contributions, allowing me to accumulate personal wealth too while the employer of course get their share from my creativity. As for funding, that is always at employer’s risk. I work for a very large company and regularly hold equipment worth many many times the cost of houses but that is what I need to do my job.

Like I said, it is hoped that House Blackstone provides some form of employee sharing. I mean, even today hiring a good engineer is not a trivial task. What would Garia do if she needed one? Put out a want ad saying ‘wanted, electrical engineer with 15 years experience’? ^_^

Last time I saw something like that were help ads in 2000 looking for C++ engineers with 15 years experience.

See #44

"Sire, it is profitable already," Parrel replied, surprising the King. "We sell every sheet of paper we can possibly make, and the demand is always for more. There are certain initial costs, it is true, but there is no problem running this building, I can assure you of that, Sire. And," he added with a smile, "there is the license fee to consider. Both your treasury and Milady Garia benefit from every sheet sold, Sire."

Nowdays normally technical people get wages and fixed amount of

incentives for their inventions or achievements. About 50 years ago my friend's father, who was an electrical engineer for Sylvania, got royalties from the company for his inventions that made the company profits. That arrangement seems to be very similar to what Garia received for the paper-making.

Financial oversight

Don't forget, when Milsy and Tarvan swore allegiance to House Blackstone because of Garia's promis to back their research (SEE 108), the Queen promised "But I shall warn this pair that I will be watching their progress closely. I do not want Garia's income to be squandered, it will be sorely needed for future projects."
I seem to recall (but I can't remember where) that Garia also assumed that the Queen would ensure that Milsy and Tarvan would benefit from their inventions.
[update]
See 103 Garia and Merizel were discussing Milsy
"That's what worries me. And we need to sort out her status pretty quick. It occurs to me that Milsy is getting royalties from all those gadgets she's making, like clocks."

"You don't begrudge her the money, surely?"

"Of course not. But she may not be as wise in the ways of finance as I am. Oh," she suddenly had a thought, "I guess the Queen is keeping a watchful eye open, don't you think? I may be worrying over nothing."

Garia

Is already quite wealthy. As more things that she knows get turned into products she will become even more wealthy.

Two points...

Aine Sabine's picture

First is Bursila, she has already made Oaths to House Blackstone in a very public ceremony. She had not been released just, at the time, temporarily, reassigned by her Liege. This meant if Milsy had chosen not to join House Blackstone, Bursila would have either, been reassigned or requested to leave Blackstone. So the question should have been do you wish to remain House Blackstone.
Second is you are still hiding the provisions for the Heir of Blackstone. ERRR!! I want to know what they are! LOL!
OKay, before I move to the next available SEE story, I'm going to read a book I just got on Amazon. Then I think I'll read the Princess Eriana stories.

Wil

Aine

Missing the boat

Jamie Lee's picture

This story, and SEE, have described just about every guild except one, which has not been created. Research and development, House Blackstone.

Garia, Milsy, Merizel, Senidet, Tarvin, and Bursil have become the research and development guild without anyone naming it.

Garia is the go to girl for ideas from Earth, while Milsy, Tarvin, Senidet, and Bursil are the go to people to see if something is possible.

As things progress R&D is going to be needed more often than it is now. And unless an R&D guild is formed, others of like mind will be in limbo or be put into a guild they don't belong in.

If this be the conclusion of this story then it was a wild ride, a ride worth taking.

Others have feelings too.

R and D

I'm not sure that R&D can be done in the way you suggest. On Earth it is customary for each trade, discipline, craft, etc to do its own R&D and that is because the people who make/do those things are the ones who know the most about it.

Take R&D away from the folks who make/do the things and they become disconnected from the very subject they need to develop further. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for such research and that is the University. However, universities tend to deal with the middle to distant future while leaving product development to either the original makers or to startups which have a mix of experienced people and fresh talent.

You're right so far, that the R&D function will begin at Blackstone House and that things will snowball from there. In all likelihood there will always be a close relationship in the future between House Blackstone and the Guild/Institute system, with graduates from the new University feeding into both.

Of course, given the background to these tales, there will always be "brand new" products/processes to consider. These will have to be handled in a different fashion to the above scenario. Who knows? If I ever get that far, the ride will indeed become wild.

Penny