The Voyage of the Visund -17-

Printer-friendly version

Ursula spends some time helping out in the kitchen - and becomes more puzzled as the morning progresses. Meanwhile, Eriana, Bennet and Semma are introduced to new mounts and take a ride outside Joth's walls.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

17 - Eriana Rides Out


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2019 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Ursula realized that she was staring at herself in the mirror once again.

I must stop this! I was obsessive enough when I was being chased, now I have a fixation on my new body!

But... I'm a real woman now, and this is what we do. Appearance is important, isn't it? Because I am female, people are going to look at me and judge me on how I look, what I do, what I say, what I wear.

It is what I expected, and what I had when I was with the other trans girls, but I never expected to have a real body! Especially one that is different than what I thought I would look like.

This body is honest, at least... though it cannot, possibly, have lived the number of years that it appears to have done. How can they possibly do that?

Which means I have to ask the question again: is this real? Am I fooling myself by pretending that it is real?

With a sigh she shook her head and lifted one of her 'ship dresses' off the rail. It was the action of a moment to pull it over her head and tug it straight.

The Jothan women do good work, I will admit. This design of Maralin's is really comfortable and well made.

Bennet poked her head through the open door. "Mistress, are you ready?"

Bennet had dressed in her riding outfit after bathing. It looked interesting, even though she had seen similar on Eriana the previous afternoon.

"I am, Bennet. Are you comfortable in that?"

"So far, Mistress. If the weather becomes very warm," the guardswoman shrugged, "then I fear we may need to ask the seamstresses for lighter attire. For now it is comfortable enough, thank you."

Outside in the corridor Mamoot was waiting and he gave them the customary open-handed Jothan salute.

"Good morning, Mistress Ursula, Mistress Bennet." He gestured at the riding outfit. "I have not seen that uniform before. Do you do something different today?"

Bennet smiled at him. "Aye, today Tenant Maralin escorts Her Highness, myself and Guardswoman Semma on a frayen ride. I do not know what route he may have planned."

Mamoot's eyes widened. "So it is true, then! There was a rumor in the guardhouse that saddles had arrived for the use of Her Highness and party. Many could not believe that women may ride as a man does."

Bennet's smile turned into a grin. "If you may find yourself near the rear courtyard after breakfast, Mamoot, you will see a wonder, then. Many women in Palarand now ride and many more desire to. Her Highness thinks that the same will happen here in Joth."

"Do you tell me! Then I will make sure to find a suitable spot from which to observe what happens."

"I doubt you will be the only one. Do you know, has Her Highness yet passed this way?"

Mamoot shook his head. "She has not yet passed me this morning, Mistress. Will you wait?"

"I think we'll go down. We're only getting in everybody's way standing out here."

In the dining room some had already arrived, including Hambran and Maralin, but the Ducal couple had not yet appeared. Hambran approached them and bowed. Bennet responded with a Palarandi-style salute.

"Good morning, sir."

"Good morning to you, Bennet, and to you, Mistress Ursula. You will have a fine day for your ride, I deem. I do not know which route Tenant Maralin intends to take, though."

"It may depend on the desires of Her Highness, Sir."

"As you say. Well, if I may suggest -"

Hambran was cut off as Wallesan, Fanis, Eriana and Semma all appeared in a group. After the customary greetings all made for the table and breakfast was served.

Part way through, Fanis asked, "Ursula, dear, these fine folk are all going to ride out on frayen this morning. I regret that neither you nor I may yet go with them, so I wondered if you had any idea what to do today."

Ursula swallowed her mouthful of fruit and replied, "Your Grace, with your permission I would like to spend some time today in your kitchen. It seems to me that I need to learn about the plants and animals of this world and the kitchen would be the easiest place to do that."

The Duchess frowned. "Would you not rather go to the market today? You will see a much greater variety of foodstuffs and animals there than in our kitchen, and those animals in the market will still be alive."

Ursula reddened. "Your Grace, I don't really want to speak of such things at your table, but I have a professional interest in your foodstuffs as well as a general one."

Fanis was puzzled, but Wallesan remarked, "She wants to look at what's inside them, Fanis. How the muscles and bones work, that sort of thing. On Earth, they have no creature with six legs so she wants to understand how they function."

"Ooh. Yes, I see, Wal. Forgive me, Ursula, I did not mean to pry, I was merely interested to make sure that you were not bored, or had perhaps a desire to go out somewhere instead."

"Your Grace, I will probably want to go to the market another day. In the work I did on Earth, I used some tools specific to the job and I would need similar if I was to do something like that here. I do not know what tools are available here, but I hope that Mistress Senia will tell me that when I meet her this afternoon."

"Ah, I understand. But you will join us outside, to see Eriana and her girls ride off?"

"Of course, Your Grace. I suspect that there will be a small crowd out there today."

"Have no doubt of it!"

* * *

The crowd was not small, it was every single person who could possibly invent a reason to be away from their duty that morning. Every balcony was lined, almost all of the windows had onlookers and there was a fair crowd spread around the perimeter of the yard. Those present included not only mansion staff and armsmen but all of Eriana's crew, who had not come to watch the fun but to attend some battle training with the local troops. There were also a small number of seamstresses standing in a nervous group underneath the archway. Eriana blinked at the numbers.

"Fanis, you would think I had suddenly sprouted two heads, or something!"

"You are about to do something worse that that, Eriana, you are going to climb aboard a frayen, as a man does, and ride away! I shudder at what the women of Joth will do when they see you!"

"I shudder at the men, Fanis, who may object to our appearance. Although many accepted Garia riding in Palarand, and beyond into the country, there were still some who disliked the very idea. Now, before we may begin, we must needs pay a visit to your kitchen."

"The kitchen! Why is everybody suddenly interested in our kitchen this morning?"

Eriana grinned. "Ursula's needs are of a different kind, but we girls have learned that the way to a frayen's heart is through his stomach. That and the kind words which a female voice may whisper in their ears. Watch and learn, Fanis."

Since all the kitchen staff without exception had come out onto the walkway to watch the proceedings, there was some confusion when Eriana made her request.

"It is simple enough, Master Farren," she said to his stammered query, "we desire some small offcuts of vegetable with which to bribe our frayen. Should our task be successful, your kitchen may discover that such offcuts will become a regular request about the mansion."

"Highness, if you say it is so, then who am I to disagree? If you would come this way."

Suitably provided, the three women and Maralin tucked the treats into their sashes and made their way into the stables, followed by a curious Fanis. Duban was there, with their saddles ready and waiting on a rail. Maralin went straight to his preferred mount while the others waited for the Stable Master to show them which frayen would be theirs for today.

"You are?"

The man bowed. "Hanek, Your Highness. If I may show you your beasts? I should, perhaps, first ask if any of you have particular preferences."

The three shook their heads, so he took them to the stall next to Maralin. "Highness, this is Muss, I have selected one of the larger of our stock in the belief you will be more comfortable."

As Eriana towered over the man by nearly a foot, she merely smiled. "He will do, Hanek. Muss! In my language, that is the name of a murid, I deem. A fine jest for so large a beast!"

Maralin leaned against the partition. "Highness, murid would be a creature similar to a mouse on Earth. A small rodent, like the murid is here, but of course having only four legs. The word in Norse is closer to the original than the local word is."

"As you say, Maralin! But it is frayen that interests me this morning, not rodents. If you would pass me down that harness, Hanek. I must fit it myself that the beast becomes familiar with me."

"Are you sure, Highness?" Hanek was cautious. "These frayen are familiar with the men but -"

"Just you wait and see! Muss? You and I are going for a ride today. What do you think of that?"

The frayen was still secured in his stall by a halter, so he could only look at Eriana out of the nearer eye. He saw the hand come forward and began to snap forward, stopping abruptly when he smelled something interesting. He stared at her suspiciously.

"Now, take this nicely and you and I can have a little talk," she said, bringing the treat nearer his snout. "If you want, we can try out that new saddle of mine and you can see how good it feels. How would you like that?"

The lips reached gently forward and took the nibble from her palm. Nobody had ever done that for him before! The morning had suddenly stopped being boring. What did this strangely shaped human want? Normally, people like that were not even permitted into the stables. What was going on?

Fanis, Hanek and Duban watched with mouths open as Eriana installed the harness, then fetched and carried her own saddle and placed it on Muss's back. The straps were all placed and fastened, it being apparent that Eriana knew exactly what she was doing. Several more treats were provided to ease the process and the animal remained placid the whole time. Finally, she unhooked the halter and backed Muss out of his stall using the reins.

"And that, Fanis," she said with a smile, "is how it is done. I cannot say they will all be as easy as this one, their histories are all different, but certainly there was no serious trouble in the palace stables." She turned. "Girls? Time to get yours ready now. Hanek? If you would."

The shocked Stable Master could only stammer and turn to gesture at the two adjacent stalls.

"Uh, Highness, this one is Volt and the next one is Tama."

Bennet immediately went to Volt while Semma followed more slowly. Maralin realized that the girls would have been taught how to ride on mounts already 'educated' by Garia's methods, whereas these were still in their original condition. They would have to learn to tame their new mounts the hard way. This was immediately proved when Bennet had to jump out of the way as Volt attempted to barge her into the side of the stall.

Two of the men immediately went to help but Eriana waved them off. "No! All you will do is to frighten it by crowding round. Bennet must do this on her own, it is she who must needs bond with the beast."

Volt proved very restive, however, and refused to even look at any proffered treats. An attempt to put on the harness had to be abandoned when Volt tried to head-butt Bennet into her feed rack.

"If you would wait, Bennet. This one has had a hard past, I deem. Try bringing him out of the stall just on the halter. When he sees my beast, he will surely quieten."

And that is what happened. Once out, Volt noticed that something different was happening and began looking around. He stared at all the humans standing around and then at Muss, who turned his head and gave a flick of recognition before turning his attention to Eriana's sash.

"No, boy! Not me this time. Bennet has to give your friend of her own treats."

Eriana smiled fondly at the frayen before rubbing his snout gently. The byplay was not lost on Volt, who turned and found Bennet, who of course was still holding the halter.

"Oh? So now you want to take an interest in me?" she asked. "Shall you take a nibble without biting my fingers off, then?"

She dug out a treat with her free hand and cautiously held it forward. Volt leaned his head forward before pausing at looking at her face, then carefully took the nibble from her hand. The head went back immediately as he chewed, and there was an obvious conflict going on in his head. Things just didn't work like this!

"All ready, Highness," came a voice from behind them. It was Semma, with her own mount harnessed, saddled and ready to go! "I was surprised by how quiet this one was, he took the treats straight away and let me do everything very easily."

"Uh, Mistress," Hanek said, "Tama is a doe, not a buck. That may be the reason she accepted you so easily."

"Oh!" Semma smiled. "My mistake. It should not make any difference, surely?"

"Not really, though the men sometimes prefer the bucks because they may be stronger, Mistress." He reddened. "Ah, I do not mean to imply that you are not able to do your job, Mistress."

Maralin said, "Hanek, I can tell you that I have seen the women of His Majesty's Palace Guard at training and on duty, and I can assure you that all can do as much as a man is asked to do." He smiled. "In fact, I would say that they fight dirtier than the men." His gaze went round the other stable staff. "Let that be a warning to all of you."

Volt noticed Tama, and that Semma was also stroking her head with no apparent reaction. By now he was thoroughly confused, since there had been none of the usual shouting, pushing and hitting that he usually suffered when his rider came to get him ready. Was it something to do with these new riders? All three smelled different than the usual ones, much more pleasant, and their voices were less harsh. He looked up at the person he assumed would be his rider.

"Volt, is it? Well, Volt, no doubt you have noticed that your friends are enjoying the attention they are getting. How about you? Want another nibble?"

He didn't understand most of the words, of course, but the flow of the sounds was soothing. Perhaps - maybe - his ride this morning would not be as unpleasant as it usually was. He noticed that his rider - if that was who she was - held out another of the vegetable pieces to him, and he took it carefully from her hand.

"That's a good boy! Shall we try to put your harness on now?"

He stood still, allowing the harness to be fixed, but he could not stop his legs from shaking. Then came the saddle, and this was strange, too. It just didn't feel right, but that might have been because it was positioned better, so that it didn't cause his back to sag. He turned his head to try and see what was going on. Had they put it in the wrong place? It seemed not!

Bennet raised her hand to his head and he tensed, alert for the inevitable thump, but none came. Instead there was a soothing stroke which caused him to shiver in a different way. He resisted the urge to sharply bring his head back and snap at the small hand since his rider had done nothing objectionable. The nibble smell came from his rider's middle, and his nose quested that way. Surely there might be more?

Bennet grinned. "Ah, you've figured it out! Good boy, I will give you another piece, but then we must needs go out into the yard and get mounted."

* * *

As the guardswomen made their way to the stables Ursula turned right and mingled with the other Norsemen.

«Hey, Ursula! How are things with you? That dress looks cool. It wouldn't be any good in Jotlheim, you'd be a block of ice in moments, but it works here.»

«Hey, Stine! Thank you for asking, I am settling in here well enough. This is one of Maralin's designs, I believe that he has designed warm weather clothing for all of you as well, though I don't know when you will get it.» She turned and looked around. «Is everyone from the ship here this morning?»

«Yah, Captain promises us training with those Jothan men over there. Something to do with battlefield tactics, she said.»

The ship's cook, Adin, nodded agreement. «That's right, Ursula, something about fighting in a line.» He grinned. «That won't include the sailors, of course. We have more important things to do. Are you going over to join the kitchen staff, as you did before?»

«I am. I want to learn more about the plants and animals of this new land I find myself in.»

«Well, I know a little more than you do, of course, but there is much that is strange to me in this land, even after I have had Maralin's help. Can I join you?»

«I don't see why not. Come on, before you are made to join the mock battle.»

«That is true! Come on, boys, and you injured as well. Over there to join the kitchen servants.»

The small group threaded their way among the servants gathered along that wall and around to where the kitchen staff waited. Most sat on the edge of the walkway as they had done previously, while others made themselves comfortable in the few remaining bench vacancies.

"Mistress Ursula, good morning. Do you desire to see our riders this morning? I would have thought you familiar with such things."

Ursula had by now adjusted to the formality used by the locals. "Master Farren, good morning to you. I joined the Visund as it came along the great river, so I have never seen Her Highness ride before. Is it so unusual in the Great Valley, then?"

The cook shrugged. "I have heard that there are places which permit it, aye, but in Joth it would be very unusual for a woman to ride as a man does." He glanced at her. "I have heard rumors that such customs have changed in Palarand, but of course you would not know anything of that, I suppose."

"I have heard a lot of talk of Palarand, but I do not know much about it," she responded. "In fact, I appear to know very little about anything, which is why I have asked Her Grace to let me join you in the kitchen this morning, if it is not too much trouble."

"Ah? You know something of the cook's art, then, as Maralin does?"

"Me? No, very little! Just enough to keep myself from starving, should it be necessary. But that would be in the place I came from, Master Farren. Here, in Joth, I do not know what anything is, meat, fruit nor vegetable, so I would not know what to do with any of it."

"So you seek to learn to cook, then?"

"That is not the main reason, but if I learn something that may be useful in the future, then I will not object. No, what I want to do is to study the plants and animals you have inside, to better learn how they work."

Farren raised his eyebrows. "But surely, a vegetable is a vegetable! They are all different to cook, it is true, but what else do you need to know?"

"It will just be simply knowledge, Master Farren. I am a kind of healer, so I want to know what may be of use to me for helping somebody get better. In addition, there are no six-legged animals where I come from and the... avians... only have two legs. If I am to be of use, I must learn how these different bodies function."

"But people only have two legs and two arms! Why would you want to know how the body of an avian works? Or a gavakhan? Are you then a healer of animals?"

Ursula realized that the gulf in cultures was too wide. "I am not, Master Farren. Up till now my whole career has been the tending of humans - people - who get themselves injured. But I am in a strange land, and I want to find out as much as I can about everything here that is alive."

Farren considered and then nodded. "I think I can understand that. After all, if you have traveled a long way, then of course the plants and animals will be different! When Maralin first came to His Grace's kitchen he said almost the same thing. Of course you may join us but -" he held up a finger, "- we will be busy later, to prepare lunch, and there can be no delay providing for Their Graces and guests - which include you, of course."

"If you will be happy with me around, Master Farren. I will try not to get in your way."

"Done, then. Tell me, what are all of Her Highness's crew doing here?"

"I don't really know. Adin?"

"Master Farren, your Captain offered to teach them how to fight in line, as might happen in battle."

"Ah, I see. And yourself? I notice some of you have come over here to join us."

"Ah, no, Master Farren." He stopped and turned to Ursula. «Please, can you translate for me? I could tell him, but I would be long-winded and make many mistakes. Tell him, some here are injured, and thus excused the activity, but I and the others," he gestured, "are the true sailors of the Visund and normally have other duties when we sail. Of course we can all defend ourselves but we are not as experienced in fighting as those over there.»

Ursula relayed this and Farren nodded again.

Adin added, "For myself, I am ship's cook, I want to learn more of Valley food. Would Master Farren..?"

"Of course, Master Adin! Be welcome in my kitchen, but you heard the warning I gave the Mistress?"

"I did, but unlike Ursula I could assist you. I may not make food fit for Duke, but I have made meals for Princess."

"Then you will be most welcome in our kitchen."

Maralin was the first rider out, leading his frayen. Eriana followed, then Bennet with Semma being followed by two armsmen. The three women carried helmets, which they put on and secured. In the courtyard, the low rumble of talk suddenly hushed. Maralin swung up onto his frayen, Mac, then turned his mount to watch the others. There was a gasp as Eriana swung a leg over Muss which settled down into an excited murmur as she twitched the skirt over her mount's rump.

Bennet spoke quietly to Volt before mounting him. He still seemed confused by the unusual procedure but accepted his rider's new saddle cautiously, swinging his head either way to look at her. Semma by contrast mounted Tama quickly and quietly, neither rider or mount appearing to find anything unusual in the operation. They waited for the two armsmen to mount before turning to Captain Hambran.

"By your leave, sir," Maralin asked as he saluted.

Hambran nodded. "You have it, Maralin. I would suggest that you not be too long today, as this is the first time any of your guests have ridden those mounts."

"We'll be back by lunchtime, sir."

"Very good. Carry on." He bowed. "Your Highness."

"Thank you for the loan of these mounts, Captain," she replied. "We will not be too long, we need to get to know each other properly."

With that she turned and nodded to Maralin, who led the way out of the courtyard. Behind them, the low murmur rose into an excited babble, only calmed when Lars blew a shrill blast on his whistle.

«Men! Form ranks for Captain Hambran, now! We have all seen women riding before, we should now concentrate on what we came here to do or the morning will be wasted.»

Seeing the Norsemen line up into two ranks made the others in the courtyard remember their duties and most began to disperse. Farren turned to Ursula.

"Mistress, will Her Highness's men require us to provide lunches, would you know?"

She turned to Adin, who said, "If you provide, they will eat. If not, many taverns in city to find food."

The cook nodded. "Then I must needs ask Her Grace, and if you would relay her answer to your Commander there when I know it."

Adin looked confused. "Commander?"

"I think he means Lars," Ursula told him. "I believe there was some problem before, but now his rank has been made official."

"Ah. As you will. Is that why he wears uniform now?"

«It wasn't intended to be a uniform, but the seamstresses - the tailors and dressmakers - misunderstood what was wanted. Her Highness decided to make the appearance into a fact.»

Farren stood. "Perhaps we had better be about our own business, then. If all these men are about to do some training , they will want drinks soon enough." He cast his eye over the courtyard, still relatively crowded even now. "I'll get my boys to start some water boiling while we," he grinned at Ursula and Adin, "examine the contents of my larders, shelves and cold rooms."

* * *

"Let's head for the nearest gate," Maralin suggested. "The city streets can be somewhat crowded, as you no doubt already know. On fresh mounts, that could be a distraction - or worse."

"I agree, Maralin," Eriana said. "Once our mounts know that we will look after them, then we may chance the streets."

He led the way through the streets to a heavily fortified gateway set in the outer wall. "I don't think you came in this way before. No? This is the Southern Gate, but most people call it the Galdarin Gate, since that is where the highway goes, down to Joth's second city."

Maralin stopped at the gate and spoke to one of the armsmen there, telling them of his party's short ride out, before leading them out into the countryside.

Outside of the walls, the brick, wood, tile and stone of the city was immediately replaced by varying shades of green. Eriana relaxed immediately and noticed that her mount seemed happier as well.

Maralin pointed to the ditch at the side of the highway. "Down there was where I was found, the night that Yod took the city. They thought I had fallen off a wagon or something, as everyone was forced out of the city. I was taken down to Galdarin and lived there some days before my memory returned."

Eriana looked around. Apart from the looming wall behind her, the landscape was distinctly flat, with only a few clumps of trees and the odd shed or barn breaking up the monotony of fields and ditches.

"Is it all like this?"

"Some of it is more wooded, the further away you get from the city," he explained. "I think that they didn't want to have trees that close to the walls, in case an army could hide there." He grinned at her. "With camouflage, we could run along the ditches instead. I did a scouting run out here, trying to find out what patrols they mounted and how many men there were guarding the gate, and they never knew we were there."

"I remember you telling Robanar about it. Was this the gate that the Jothans attacked to get back in, then? It seems formidable from here."

"No, we went for the South Eastern Gate, which is much smaller, and much more poorly defended, being nearer the river. Once inside we held the gate, then let more men in to work their way along and open the Galdarin Gate from the inside."

"Aye. A difficult task, I have tried to compare it with our own attack on Boldan's Rock but they are too different." Eriana turned to Bennet and Semma. "How are your beasts behaving, girls?"

"I'm not sure, Highness," Bennet replied. "I think Volt is surprised by how he has been treated this morning, and is being cautious so far. He has done everything I have asked, and I think he prefers the present arrangement."

"Then we are doing the right thing, are we not? Semma? How is your ride?"

"I think I have one of the more placid ones, Highness. Certainly she has not objected to anything I have asked her to do - so far."

"That is good. Maralin, how may we get off this road and let our beasts feel the grass beneath their feet?"

He pointed. "Just there, Highness, is a side road we can take, which will take us through some of the nearer fields. I know that the verges are wide enough to ride on. That will probably be enough for today."

"As you say. Lead on, then."

* * *

Ursula put down the small, but extremely sharp, paring knife she had been using as a scalpel and resisted the urge to wipe her forehead with a bloody hand. On the table in front of her were the dissected remains of an avian Farren had called a brifil.

I think that is the strangest dissection I have ever done, she thought. It isn't mammal, reptile, bird or even fish. Even frogs were more understandable, in Med School! Much of what I see here is just plain weird. How do these things stay alive?

I think the answer to that is that, while I do not understand what half of these organs are, they must perform similar functions to those of normal animals. Most Earth animals have recognizable organs, even if some are adapted in ways that wouldn't make sense in a human. These must do the same functions but have evolved in a different way.

She fingered a small lump. This has to be a heart, but it is shaped like no heart I have ever seen. For one thing, it has blood vessels coming out of both ends. And what about this? It might be a liver, but I've never seen a liver that looks like that.

Farren joined her at the table. "Mistress? We are taking a drink before we begin the serious business of preparing lunch for His Grace and guests."

"Oh, yes, please. I don't think I can do any more here." She turned and smiled at him. "Almost everything inside this creature confuses me. Thank you for donating it for my experiment."

"Do not worry, Mistress. I have noticed you working, you have been very careful to keep everything clean, we may use the remains in a soup or a pie whenever you have finished with it."

"Can you? That's good. I didn't want to be the cause of any unnecessary waste for you. I have finished, I think, and I'll have to go away and think about what I have seen."

The two walked over to a sink, where Ursula rinsed her hands carefully under cold water. Farren frowned.

"Mistress, I still have trouble understanding that, in the lands you come from, you have never seen an avian, or even a gavakhan."

"We just don't have anything like those there at all. Has Maralin not said as much? All we have are four-legged animals with body parts that work much like ours do. We do have animals that fly, but they don't look like avians here at all. Has anybody ever cut open a frayen or, what are those big animals? Dranakh, that's right."

The cook looked horrified. "Cut open a dranakh? Maker! They would empty out the city! Mistress, nobody would ever think of such a thing. We do not eat dranakh, even when they die naturally, so there would be no desire to open their bodies. People do, on occasion, eat frayen meat, but that is usually because there is nothing else and the intent would be to keep from starving, not for any other reason."

Ursula was taken aback by the cook's reaction. "Oh. I'm sorry, Master Farren, I did not mean to upset you."

He handed her a towel to dry her hands and then the two joined the other kitchen workers at an end table, where Ursula was given a mug of pel.

One of the workers asked, "Mistress, is this normal where you come from? Cutting things open, I mean."

She nodded. "It is what we do when we train to be... healers. It is to give us practice in surgery but also to allow us to become familiar with what is inside. We use small animals to begin with, then progress to pigs, which are about the same size we are and with mostly similar organs."

The woman ignored the reference to pigs. Obviously, if she came from far away, the animals would be different. "Why would you want to do that? I thought healers made poultices and bandages and potions, that kind of thing. I didn't know they went... inside... people."

"Well, let's see. How can I explain it to you?"

How do I explain it, in terms they might understand? Ah, yes.

"Hear those swords in the courtyard? That is your men practicing against Her Highness's men. Now suppose there is an accident, and somebody gets a sword or a spear poked into them. What happens?"

"Well, there would be a poultice, and a bandage, and the man would have to lie still until he was better."

"Would he get better every time?"

"Uh, no, sometimes the wound is too bad and then he dies."

"Right. So, what usually happens is that the sword or spear cuts a blood vessel inside and the man either bleeds to death or he gets an infection of the wound. What I can do is to go in, find out where the cut went and sew up or tie off the blood vessels so that no more blood is lost. Then I would carefully sew him back up so that his wound can recover successfully.

"Sometimes," she continued, "a battle wound can damage some of the other organs in the body, and I can fix some of those. I can set broken bones, take out -" bullets? No, not here. "- arrow heads, for example, anything else has has gotten inside that should not be there. Then I can clean everything up and make it so that the patient has a better chance of survival."

"You can do all that? Is it better than what our healers do?"

"I don't know what your healers can do so I can't answer that. That's what I'm hoping to learn this afternoon, when Mistress Senia comes to the mansion."

The rest of the break was taken in silence as the kitchen servants realized that what Ursula did was completely beyond their understanding. Finally Farren clapped his hands and began issuing instructions. The workers dispersed to their tables and began preparations for lunch. He turned to Ursula.

"If there is anything else I can do for you now? We are busy, as you can see, but if you only need some table space and a small knife..."

"Thank you, no, not now. You're busy and I would only be a distraction. Tell me, though, those big meat animals, would it be possible for me to have a look at one as you butcher it? I have learned a lot this morning but brifilis are not the same as the larger land animals."

"Gavakhan, you mean?" Farren scratched his chin. "We get them already butchered, Mistress. We could do it here, but it takes time and expertize for so large a carcase. Better to leave such tasks to those who do it every day."

"Oh. Well, it probably isn't important anyway. I am a human healer, not a healer of animals."

"The carcases are delivered early each morning, Mistress, according to what we order. I could arrange for you to go and watch a butchering, if it would interest you."

She waved a hand. "No, please, it isn't necessary. Maybe in a year's time, perhaps, I might have a chance to look, but I don't need to see it done for what I do."

"As you wish, Mistress. What, then, will you do this morning?"

I can't wander off without a minder, Eriana and Maralin have gone out for a ride, and Her Grace is probably busy.

"I saw you teaching Adin earlier how to make those little cakes. I don't want to get in the way, but maybe I could help do something until lunchtime?"

"If you feel it would not be beneath you, Mistress."

"Why should it? I am here, I have a pair of hands, I might as well do something useful."

"If you are so determined, Mistress, then I would not object to some assistance. Here, Turis makes pastries, not for lunch but for this afternoon. Shall you help her?"

"Of course. What do you want me to do?"

* * *

Maralin turned at the sound of bells echoing from within the city. They had taken the opportunity to let their mounts have a drink, and were presently at the bottom of one of the large drainage ditches which defined most field boundaries.

"Highness, it is probably time we made our way back. That is the half bell before noon so lunch will not be far away."

"Aye, Maralin, you are right as usual. I must admit, it has been pleasant to just ride, on a good steed, with no task to perform, no destination to arrive at, just to wander as the paths provide."

"I agree. I have done this one or twice by myself, but as you know we were very busy before His Grace and I joined you to travel to Palarand. We should go back up to the path and figure out which is the best way to return," he said.

He clicked to Mac and turned his head, urging the frayen back up from the ditch to the path they had been following. Reluctantly, the others followed his lead. Maralin turned, studying the city wall to their left, looming large and with the sun almost behind it now as noon approached.

He pointed. "That way, I think. We are a lot closer to the Western Gate now than we are to the Galdarin Gate. If we go in that way, the route to the Mansion will be shorter than if we back-tracked."

"Sir," came a call from below, "if you would wait for us."

Maralin turned and realized that the two armsmen who had accompanied them were still using the traditional style of saddle. With those it was not easy to clamber up the slope while still mounted, so they had both climbed off and were now leading their frayen.

"Aye, we will wait." He smiled. "I trust you both appreciate now why His Grace wants to introduce the new saddles?"

One answered, "As you say, sir! To begin with, you all looked odd sitting on them and when you ride, the motion seems... strange to the eye, but even one such as myself cannot fail to see the advantages."

The other one, reaching the path, muttered, "There are advantages? Don't look right to me."

The first one joined him and said, "Then you are an idiot, Brosh. With the saddle the Tenant uses, he can stay mounted even on a slope so great as this. I bet he wouldn't come off in no battle, neither."

Maralin brought the impending argument to a halt. "Enough, you two. Get up, please, so that we can return to the mansion. Once we begin producing these saddles locally, I am sure that Captain Hambran will be telling you all about the benefits." He added, "For myself, I have not ridden one very much so far. We all used the old style to go to Palarand and of course we came back by ship. I have had a little practice on the palace training field but that is all. Mayhap Her Highness, who has ridden into battle using the new type, can tell you more - but not today."

"Indeed," Eriana agreed. "Though in truth we used the new saddles to ride a great part of our journey, we did not ride them into battle. We could not do that at Boldan's Rock." She considered, then nodded. "Aye. I will speak with your captain about our experiences with the new saddles but, as Maralin says, not today. I deem we will be too busy for such instruction."

Both men ducked their heads as they mounted. "Highness."

The short procession went clockwise around the walls of Joth, using various tracks and farm access roads, until they reached a small highway running east-west. They gained this and turned right to head toward the gate through the walls. Even though the highway was a minor one, there was still a fair amount of traffic to be negotiated.

Their progress was not helped by the fact that almost everyone going the other direction, on foot, mounted or aboard a carriage or wagon, stopped and stared at the three mounted women, especially the lead one who bore a broadsword diagonally across her back. Fortunately, most had by now at least heard of Eriana, and "strange folk often did strange things". Maralin wondered what they would think when their own womenfolk began to appear astride their own frayen.

"Sarjant!" Maralin called to the officer overseeing the gate traffic. "If you could clear a path for us, please. I must get Her Highness back to His Grace's mansion in time for lunch."

The man, who had been staring at the women, ducked his head. "Of course, sir." He turned to the traffic building up in the gateway. "Make way there! Her Highness returns to His Grace's mansion!"

The name-dropping had the desired effect and a path opened for the party to enter the city. Amid many curious glances, Maralin led them along the main route and then turned right to follow the street which led past the mansion. Eriana noted that her mount was behaving himself and, with that thought, turned to Bennet.

"Any trouble with Volt?"

"Highness, it is strange," the armswoman replied, "I have never noticed it with my rides before, but I have sensed that he seems a little tense since we got onto the highway. I don't think he will do anything he should not, though, he seems to trust me already."

Eriana smiled. "It seems that a woman's hand may tame these beasts easier than a man's will do. Begging your pardon, Maralin."

He smiled back. "I can believe it, Highness. Of course, I have a slight advantage over other men."

Their eyes met and Eriana understood that Maralin didn't want to expose his secret in front of their two escort riders.

"That is your experience, I deem," she said to cover the remark. "Here we are, I did not realize that the West Gate was so close to the mansion."

"Only if you know the way, Highness. And if you had business that way."

They rode into the front courtyard, under the connecting arch and through into the rear courtyard. It was apparent that, unlike the crowd when they had departed, few took any notice of their return. However, all Eriana's men were seated on the edge of the walkway next to the kitchen, and it appeared that they were taking lunch. She gave them a wave and then led the frayen into the stables. All six dismounted and stable staff took their mounts off to their stalls for cleaning up and a rub-down.

Hanek approached them. "Highness, I am pleased to see that you are safely returned. Did you have any trouble?"

"None at all, my good man. Bennet's mount seemed a little tense but she had no trouble from him. If she rides him some more, I am certain that they will come to a good understanding. Our needs are not onerous."

Maralin excused himself, walked over to the kitchen and returned with a large root vegetable and a small knife.

"Here, Highness. A reward after their ride will cement the relationship."

"As you say." Eriana stretched. "We must go out again one day, I deem, and travel further. I would like to see more of Joth than just the outside of the city walls."

"I know what you mean. Still, for the first time on a new mount, today's outing was probably enough."

The riders took turns cutting nibbles for their frayen, then dispersed to their stalls to aid in the cleaning activities. As they did so, Lars entered the stable and found Eriana.

«A good ride, Highness?»

«Yes, but we did not go too far. These mounts are unknown to us, and us to them, so a simple ride outside the walls was enough for today.»

«Will you be going out again tomorrow?»

«If I can... wait! I have promised my riding gear to the sewing women, so that they can use them as a pattern to make a set for Ursula.» She frowned. «I guess that means that the ride will have to wait a day or two. What about your own task? What happened this morning?»

«Highness... we imagined that we knew how to fight, even after Captain Merek instructed us in the ways of Palarand. But this way of standing in lines to do battle, I do not like it. It seems that you must be slower, more careful, not to expose the men either side of you by doing something... rash. I can see the need for it, and today's instruction has been very valuable, but I hope that we will not be used this way in future.»

«Aye, I agree. Now, if Maralin's ideas of naval warriors are to be believed, we should not be fighting pitched battles on land in the future but more what we are used to - ship to ship, maybe, or storming a beach and taking fortified positions.»

The big Norseman nodded. «Yes. The Navy idea is good, we can decide our own tactics there.»

She grinned at him. «And our tactics might be something that no-one along the Sirrel has yet faced, Lars. They might get something of a surprise! You have the men organized?»

«Of course, Highness. The men are going out into the country this afternoon for a march in the new terrain and the sailors have some work on the ship. All is well in hand.»

«Good. Now, if you would ask the Stable Master for a bag of hay, please. Us ladies have to go and change before lunch and I do not want to delay.»

Lars saluted the Palarandi way. "As you command, Highness."

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Line fighting doesn't

Line fighting doesn't translate well when you have guns, at least not when they are rifled, if they had chalk rounds they could effectively demonstrate, the only real advantage of course is the little training required, but any matter of concealed trap can also destroy a line formation.

True

The red coats with their line tactics were a prime example.

OTOH, I would give a lot to see vikings line-DANCING. LOL.

OMG ....

What made line combat effective.....

D. Eden's picture

Was the musket. It had a very short range, horrible accuracy due to it’s smooth bore and poorly made round shot, but it had three major advantages. One, it was easy to train troops to use it effectively; two, it could be loaded and fired rapidly by a trained soldier with the volume of fire making up for the innacuracy; and three, it mounted a wicked bayonet. The bayonet charge after multiple volley fire was terrifying and broke many an enemy troop.

But, to your point, the Pennsylvania Long Rifle was the beginning of the end for the line of infantry. Between it’s longer range and higher accuracy, and the habit of Colonial Militia to use protective cover during battle, the common infantryman standing in battle line with a musket was soon to be a thing of the past.

But for a time, the Lobsterbacks and their lines of battle ruled the world.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

That is why I specified

That is why I specified rifled guns in the OP, for a time it was true that a bow could compete pretty effectively against guns, and to a limited extent armies would employ bowmen in addition to musket infantry because of this, but to effectively use a bow (at least in combat) requires a lifetime of training and much time retraining to maintain strength (also part of why crossbows were popular, don't have to hold the string while you aim) however that made them very expensive and hard to replace so you can only use them in certain situations.

Um, no.

I would not describe line combat being ended "soon" after the American Revolution. It remained standard for around 140 years. The rifle did not become a particularly important battlefield weapon until then invention of the Minie ball in the 1850s; the rate of fire of a rifle was just too slow. You could not hold ground with it: get one shot off and then be overrun. The only times (barring the retreat from Lexington) that British troops in line were beaten during the American Revolution were by American Continentals, also in line.

Even after the invention of the Minie ball, people stayed in line: The whole American Civil War was fought in lines. Whether this was the best tactic for the weapons is not known; tactics were still evolving by the end of the war, and it was the last major war fought with muzzle-loading rifles. Even with the widespread introduction of repeating rifles did not get rid of the line. Lines were used up through the start of World War I, when the machine gun killed off (in an all too literal fashion) the line. Even then it took several years before the Germans came up with a replacement for the line with their stosstrupen tactics.

Here they have already moved

Here they have already moved past muzzle loading, but the main problem with line fighting, that becomes especially apparent with guns, is that a high casualty rate is guaranteed and it's more a matter of who can sustain higher losses/ is luckier. During the American Civil War it is very easy to make the argument that no one knew how best to use their weapons, not helped in the least by inertia. However where the whole idea of line fighting broke down was when it evolved into trench warfare in WW1 which is basically just the same thing with more fortification.

I have to wonder how the

I have to wonder how the various people will respond to the other gifts, I imagine a printing press with type kit, typewriter, and a steam engine were among the gifts, we've already seen clocks, mirrors, clothing items, and saddles... Other potential items would be a sewing machine, knitting machine, and various sizes of telescope.

I can't imagine...

That at a minimum they didn't send a telescope. Sewing machine? Maybe they have working models by now? Typewriter? Oh yeah, I'd bet those are being made as fast as they can get them made. Printing press? Maybe with a single set of a single font, and ink? Printed booklet on how to make type for printing press?
All in all a lot of what was sent will depend on what is in production, at least enough for examples to be sent with high ranking dignitaries. So if they had models at all of any thing I can imagine that one got sent, or will be sent soon.

The Duke has seen a lot of it

The Duke has seen a lot of it too, so much of it is functional to introduce the technology to Joth, as for typewriters, of all the new developments, that one is definitely more of a luxury than anything, so they might not be producing them in high quantities with material shortages,

riding

I have ridden horses, and it is ... challenging as they can have their own ideas. I enjoyed the little peek into the minds of their mounts, it took me back to riding on my grandmother's farm ...

DogSig.png

Still no mention of...

Still no mention of ordering coal or coke for special needs by the blacksmith.

Also, no mention of other sources for coal or to search for some sources. (In the general direction of Yod and beyond)

Joth isn't likely to have any

Joth isn't likely to have any coal, however other sources being scouted out include Ptuvilend which is roughly East of Blackstone and west of Vardendale

Joth

Unless they become something like Hong Kong is very apt to be a poor backwater. Now the Duke seems to be eager to be an early adapter, so maybe with Maralin and Ursula there they can become essentially a hub of information?

Joth has a couple advantages,

Joth has a couple advantages, other than attempting early adoption, for their land area, they have a lot of riverside access, which will be very useful for transportation and power. their soil being mostly river deposits while not unique in the region does make for good farmland,

Jothan industry

It has already been commented that Joth (by necessity) has progressed in the production of military uniforms. Assuming a ready supply of textiles, this seems to be something that Wallesan is keen to capitalise on. With Ursula now appearing to to be knowledgeable in surgery, Joth could also be the centre for healing advancements. Will Ursula be opening a teaching hospital?

Thanks for another enjoyable

Thanks for another enjoyable chapter.

Did they return via the east or the west gate ?

Gates of Joth

You're right! Well spotted. 360 other people have read this so far and you are the first to notice.

Of course it should have been the West Gate. I have now corrected the text.

I don't have a problem with readers telling me if I have done something that doesn't seem right.

Penny

So, not only are they creating......

D. Eden's picture

A Navy and Naval tactics, but they will have Marines and are already working on amphibious warfare!

As a Naval officer who commanded an ANGLICO unit, may I be permitted to insert a “Semper Fi!” here for my former comrades in arms.

Absent comrades........

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I see it slightly differently...

I see it slightly differently. They have sailors and “Scouts & Raiders*” already (they take on duties of both sailors and marines).

* Scouts & Raiders were (pre WWII ) changed to UDT...

With Ursula disecting the Brifill...

And her comments on no birds, though it ought to have occurred to me sooner... I know they use bows and arrows (Stott in SEE is a long-bowman) and crossbows. So what do they use to 'fletch' their arrows, if there are no feathers around? My guess is stiffened and shaped pieces of leather, the next guess is that they use metal fletching.

Possibly whatever their

Possibly whatever their avians have, it would have to be light and flexible, but able to return to its original shape.

Frayen trouble

So Volt was amped up, but how it turned out depending how the rider conducts themselves.

You must wonder how wasting time dealing with mishandled, thus stubborn, resistant frayen has spelled trouble during battle prep.

Volt comes out of his cell

With Bennet in charge Volt has demonstrated that he has the capacity to direct his energy in an alternate direction, one that does not impede his integration into the 'nice frayen' circuit. Whether Bennet can transform the attitudes of the Jothan army to frayen care is another matter.

Probably

As with the new saddles they will take a more active role than just moving people and supplies, the advantages of having the animals work with the riders will be hard to ignore. Plus they will be part of the Federation army..

Double

Delete

All this electrically ...

All this electrically connected vocabulary is hilarious. Now, Penny just needs to introduce a frayen named spark, sparkle, joule, watt, phase or whatever else can be thought of. LOL

Well

Volt, Joule, and Watt not strictly electricity related, except for Volt.

Names

Henry, Mho and Farad might be suitable

Harumph

I will now have to insulate myself from further electrical punnery as I am fully humbled by a true master. wr deserves to be fet-ed and inducted into the electrical punster hall of fame, wr’s admittance is assured.

Bravo!

Thank you

My initial reactance to your proposal was of shock, but that has since been rectified and smoothed, you shall not hear a ripple of complaint from me. I shall try to switch modes and not supply more puns ;)

An alternate direction

True.

Volt has a lot of potential, a difference shown in his more positive attitude.

Not using the new saddle at Boldan’s rock

So Di Wonder’s story of Boldan’s Rock will not be given canon status then?

In her story they retreated from one defense line to the next on them.

Boldan's Rock

While they rode to Boldan's Rock, the actual attack was more like a SF insertion than a cavalry battle as they had to move through snow and difficult terrain for the final approach and sneak their way in - I suspect that this is what Eriana means, as the question was specifically about using the saddles in battle.

Grakh are

But obtaining one of those is problematic at best... They think people make tasty snacks! And actually she is doing exactly what she needs to be doing, that is studying the small animals with which she is unfamiliar. Sure to teach about people she will need to have the backing of the crown in order to obtain a source of cadavers. My question about the story is what are alpacas doing there? Supposedly the only critters that were transferred were those which had evolved an intelligence on their home world....

Pakh

If I were to make a guess ;) I would say meat and wool, but more importantly wool.

I haven't gone into the specific reasons why any particular species has ended up on Anmar for the simple reason that I haven't thought of any.

Having said that, it would seem that a different source of fibres for making cloth might have been identified by the Beings long ago. There appear to be cotton and linen substitutes, from local plants, and silk from a local insect, but I can't think of a wool bearing animal off-hand apart from pakh.

And I must clarify: intelligence might not have been the only reason for transfers.

Penny

Potential reasons

well picking critters that can thrive in the new habitat would be important, as are effective moderating species, to make sure no species overpopulates without significantly altering their environment, this includes apex predators. You want some flying critters too, for inspiring certain technologies. They would also want to have enough variety across the planets seeded with any particular intelligent species in the flora and fauna on their home planets to promote trade, different ideas, and a wider array of genetic building blocks, when they finally meet. Enough precursor species would also be needed so that they can independently develop evolutionary theory, which is important for biological and computer sciences, some species might even be there as seeding stock for that purpose.

Is this an error?

I just noticed this and think it looks like an error, but maybe I'm wrong? Here's what I found: Maralin turned and realized that the two armsmen who had accompanied them were still using the traditional style of saddle. With those it was not easy to camber up the slope while still mounted, so they had both climbed off and were now leading their frayen.

I think from here: ...easy to clamber up...

But I could be wrong!

You're not wrong

As any author will tell you, typos are notoriously hard to find and remove. I can only do so much and Julia, who looks through all of these before I post them, has a good hard look too.

Nevertheless, it is almost a cosmic law that typos and other simple errors will remain in any text, however hard anyone looks. That extends to printed works, too: remember the Bible that said, "Thou shalt commit adultery"?

Penny

To err is human

And we'd best recall that often! I did want to point it out to you though. I hope when I post work that my readers will point out such things to me, and I work diligently to avoid them happening. But yes I know the cosmos conspires to make sure they happen!

I am enjoying this story!

Aine Sabine's picture

Can't wait for more! Though admittedly, I want more of Milsy and Garia as well! Which means I'm going to be waiting for all! Argh!

Wil

Aine

Something way different

Jamie Lee's picture

Those new saddles are not only going to make it easier on the rider but the frayen. And something else that will be passed on concerning the frayen.

The riders treated their mounts much differently than they are normally treated. Those who've been in Palarand learned that the animals are more than the dumb beasts all thought them to be. Volt is the prime example of an abuse frayen and his confusion was from how Bennet treated him before and during the ride. If others treat the frayen as they saw them being treated then perhaps humans and frayen will not be so upset when they ride.

Ursula is about to upset the apple cart when she starts discussing how she was accustomed to treating the injured. And if she starts explaining surgery, there could be some who are upset about the idea of cutting into a person.

Others have feelings too.