Music School Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version

“Guys, I have something to tell you.” Terry interrupted their planned practice to tell them the bad news he received.

“What is it?” Lindsey was tired, and her lips were hurting her.

“My uncle contacted me, and they have to move the grand opening back till next month. Since most of you have managed to get Friday off
from school. I managed to book us at the Steampunk Expo that is going on this weekend. So, pack for the whole weekend.” Terry hated hearing that they lost the gig with his uncle, but Brenda had this Steampunk expo lined up for them just in case.

“Good.” Lindsey was glad that she would have longer to learn the trumpet.

“Let’s go ahead and practice some of our normal music.” Terry could see the band was happy going back to their normal music.

The next few hours the band jams on their own music. Terry noticed that they were happier and enjoying themselves more, now that the
pressure had been lifted. By ten o’clock, they stop practicing and started loading their equipment onto the trailer.

Before everyone left “I need everyone to be up here at 10:00 am tomorrow morning.”

“We will Terry.” Lindsey was catching a ride home with Ian and his mother.

Mrs. Smith had gotten to know Lindsey well since she’s been going to their gigs and traveling with them. She was one of the most creative people in the band. She knew Barbara was proud of her.

“How is your mother doing, Lindsey?” Mrs. Smith hasn’t seen Barbara lately.

She knew Barbara was a real estate agent and spent a lot of time either at the office or showing houses. When Mrs. Smith pulls up to Lindsey’s house. She notices there was another car there.

A smile appears on her face. She has seen that car before at Lindsey’s place.

“Thanks, Mrs. Smith.” Lindsey spotted Greg’s car parked in front of her place.

She knew that the relationship between her mother and Greg was getting serious. She hopes she wasn’t interrupting anything.

“Thanks, Mrs. Smith.” Lindsey gets out of the car and heads towards the front door.

Mrs. Smith watches as Lindsey heads inside the house. Once Lindsey was inside the house, she notices her mother’s bedroom door was closed and she could hear her mother moaning. A smile appears on her face as she heads towards her bedroom to change out of her clothes and head towards the bathroom.

She liked Greg and if he made her mother happy, she was happy. She checks her suitcase and changes out the dress she was going to wear for the gig with Terry’s uncle and replaces it with her standard performing costume. She strips and head to the bathroom and fills the tub up.

Just as she was about to step into the tub. She receives a text message from Tessa. She was asking Lindsey if it would be alright to wear a different costume, instead of the one she normally wore? Lindsey texts her back she could if she wanted to. Afterward, Lindsey slips into the tub and enjoy the hot water. By the time it turns cold, she gets out and heads to bed.

“Lindsey’s come on sweetie. It’s time to get up.” Barbara gently shakes Lindsey’s shoulder.

Lindsey slowly opens her eyes. She was having a nice dream and didn’t want to wake up from it. She looks up at her mother and could tell she was glowing.

A smile appears on her face “you had fun last night, mom.”

Barbara blushes at Lindsey’s statement. She hadn’t realized she was that loud with the door close.

“It’s okay mom. I didn’t mean to embarrass you.”

“I know. What do you think of Greg?” Barbara wanted to see what Lindsey thought of Greg before she told her the news she had.

“I think he is a nice person and makes you happy.” Lindsey wonders why her mother was asking her this question.

“How would you feel if he became your father?” Barbara looks into Lindsey sleep-encrusted eyes.

“I don’t have a problem with that. If he makes you happy mom.” Lindsey hugs her mother.

“Thank you, sweetheart, because he asked me to marry him.” Barbara shows Lindsey the engagement ring and returns the hug.

They stay hugging for a while when Barbara notices what time it is. She releases Lindsey.

“You better get up and get ready to go, sweetie.” Barbara stands up off the bed.

“I will mom.” Lindsey gets out of bed and starts changing out of her night clothes.

Barbara fixes a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich for Lindsey to eat before Krist shows up with the bands, van. Barbara helps Lindsey’s with her luggage and watches as the van drives off.

“You guys won’t believe this, but my mom is getting married again.” Lindsey was happy for her mother.

Even though Barbara had her, there were times she saw her mother unhappy during the holidays or on a certain day. She knew her mother missed her first husband.

“Congratulations, Lindsey. You’re finally going to have a father.” Ian and Tessa were smiling at her.

Jamie was busy kissing his girlfriend. This was going to be her first gig with them. During practice, she wasn’t too bad, but now she’ll be before an audience.

They had to pick out a steampunk costume for her. It was a nicely constructed Victorian pants set that went with Jamie’s outfit. It was funny watching her walk around in the tight leather pants and high heel boots.

It took them a few hours to arrive in Atlanta and to get settled in their hotel room. Once everyone was dress in their costume, they had a meet and greet with their fans. Some fans wanted to take pictures with them and others just wanted their signature.

There was one teenage girl that looked like she had been in a fight. She had a cracked Cd case of theirs that looked like someone had stomped on it. When she stood in front of Lindsey, she could tell, someone had abused her. She saw bruises on the girl’s wrist.

Lindsey looks into her bloodshot eyes “is everything okay?”

The girl nods her head yes. Shirley didn’t want her heroes to know her parents didn’t approve of their music. She was just happy to meet them.

“Well, how about, I give you a backstage pass and more of our merchandise.” Lindsey felt sorry for the girl.

“Thank you.” Shirley accepts the items and the pass.

She felt better and couldn’t believe she had gotten her birthday wish. She wished to have a nice birthday. Her aunt Jenny gave her the money to come to the Expo to meet her favorite band.

“Hey, why don’t you stick around and come to lunch with us?” Lindsey figures she might enjoy that.

“Thank you.” Shirley couldn’t wait.

After Lindsey and the band was done with the signing and picture taking. They head to a conference room that had been set up for the luncheon. Brenda thought it would be a good publicity opportunity for the band.

Shirley filled a plate up and during the luncheon, she took pictures with all the members. She was enjoying herself. This was the best birthday she has ever had.

Shirley accompany the band after the luncheon as they went to prepare for the gig. She sat and listen as they did a sound check and tune their instruments. Lindsey and Tessa invites her up on stage and let her play on their synthesizers. Shirley enjoyed that and even surprised them and played one of their songs she had practice on the piano at school.

Lindsey and Tessa were surprised and enjoyed it The rest of the band enjoyed it as well.

"Now we know who to get to substitute for you Lindsey." Jamie looks at the girl with a smile on his face.

up
208 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

We can only hope Greg is really a nice guy.

Time will tell. If the scumbuckets abusing Shirley trys taking it out to the band, but somehow I don't think it will be that easy.

Poor girl

Samantha Heart's picture

NO ONES deserves abuse no matter if its music sexual orentation or gender identy or ANY OTHER reasion. I feel for this poor girl.

As for Barba getting Married again I think its great Lindsay is happy for her adopted mother and that makes things a lot easeir on Barbra that Lindsay likes him.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Disagree but not to abuse

Jamie Lee's picture

Short notices for gigs puts a lot of pressure on the band members and if attended, may make for a not so fun concert.

It's okay to not like what others like but that doesn't mean it's okay to physically try and dissuade the other person. Shirley is like teens from eons gone by, liking things their parents don't. Rock and roll is just one example where parents and teens' likes and dislikes rose.

It is possible because of what happen to Shirley for her parents to be charged with abuse, and Shirley remove for her own safety. It was awful nice of her favorite group to offer her a great evening, if only they can do something about the abuse.

Others have feelings too.