Angela's Legacy Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

I stared in the mirror, mouth agape as my face changed from a grown woman to a child of about twelve. She’d forgotten to change the maid uniform with me, so it was sort of hanging there, the skirt falling way past my knees.

“Steve?” Angela placed a hand on my shoulder. “Are you okay?”

“How…how long am I going to stay like this?” My voice came across as a mere whisper, I saw Meredith smirk behind Angela in the mirror.

“Until you can change yourself back,” Angela smiled and ran her fingers through my hair, straightening it out. It felt good.

“How do I do that?” I whispered back, still staring wide eyed into the mirror.

“You’re not allowed,” She said firmly, turning me away from the mirror to face her and Meredith. I shot a fearful look over toward Meredith who was now much taller than me and leaning against the tub, one hand on the rim for support. “Let’s talk about your name. You don’t look like a Steve. What do you think you look like?”

“I don’t know,” I admitted, taking a quick glance back at the mirror. I think what scared me the most in this moment was how quickly I became comfortable with the role Angela had just forced me into. It felt right, it felt like it was meant to be. It was like…being wrapped in a blanket and held tight. “I can’t really…can you help me?”

“Of course I can, sweetie,” Angela took me by the hand and led me out of the bathroom. We walked down the hall with Meredith in tow until we came to the living room where the large black sectional couch still sat in front of a massive fifty inch OLED television. It was probably outdated tech by now. We sat down on the couch together, and Meredith sort of leaned over us, putting her weight on the back.

“What about Stephanie?” Meredith suggested. “I like that name.”

“She doesn’t look like a Stephanie,” Angela bit her lip. “Have you ever seen a Stephanie with black hair? What about…Margaret?”

“This isn’t the 1800’s,” Meredith said, rolling her eyes. “I lived through them once, let’s not bring it back in style.”

“You loved the 1800’s,” Angela said accusingly. “You still want to wear those stupid dresses and you know it.”

“I like the renaissance dresses better,” Meredith laughed. “I’m a sucker for anything with a bodice.”

“Charlotte?” Angela suggested, looking at me.

“Still outdated,” Meredith informed her. “You need a baby name book or something. Or I could look online.”

“Oh my god,” Angela turned toward her. “You still have that phone? I told you to get rid of that thing.”

“And you’re not my keeper,” Meredith sort of spat back. “I like taking selfies.”

“If you need to see yourself, why don’t you go look in the mirror?” Angela made a motion toward the wall just beside the television where another full length mirror hung. One thing I’d noticed cleaning this place for a decade was the abundance of mirrors. They had a LOT of them.

“That’s not what mirrors are for, and you know it,” Meredith shook her head. I looked back toward Angela who was deep in thought, no doubt still trying to figure out what my name should be.

“Steve,” Angela said, taking both of my hands in hers and staring directly at her. “Think hard, say the first thing that comes to your mind. What do you think your name is?”

“My name is…” I stopped and thought for a moment. This was a hard one, come on, think. “Jasmine, my name is Jasmine.”

“That’s good,” Meredith nodded. “I wouldn’t have thought of that.”

“Are you sure?” Angela smiled. “That’s what you want it to be.”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “I do.”

“Jasmine is a beautiful name,” She nodded. “From now on, that’s you, unless you want to change it, of course.”

“You know,” Meredith said, stepping around the couch and standing over us. “I’m really surprised you haven’t asked us any questions, you know like, what the hell is happening? Who we are? Why you just spent eleven years cleaning a house…”

“I guess it wasn’t that important to me,” I shrugged. “I could ask you who you are, and you could tell me, but would it mean anything to me?”

“That’s not a bad point,” Angela chuckled. “But you do need to know what’s going on and what you’ve been dragged into, because you’re one of us now. Not intentionally, and I’m sorry about that but it did happen, so we need to address it head on.”

“Can we get her some clothes first?” Meredith suggested.

“Oh can’t you make me clothes?” I asked. “Like you made this dress?”

“I didn’t make the maid uniform,” Angela explained. “I had it already, I just…put it on you, sort of. Um, I’m not really artsy so I don’t make clothes. We have to actually go shopping.”

“That’s a good idea, actually,” Meredith suddenly extended a hand, which I took and allowed her to pull me off the couch. “I’ll take her shopping real quick, get her some actual clothes.”

“That’ll really help,” Angela nodded. “I have a few things to get done around here. The house, well, you know it hasn’t been lived in for like a decade so I need to check the plumbing and make sure all the utilities are still turned on. Can’t really live without our Netflix, can we?”

“Forget Netflix,” Meredith shook her head. “I need Hulu, I’m still watching The Good Doctor. Okay, come on, Jasmine.”

I stood up and followed her, though I couldn’t tell if I was doing it on my own or if I was doing it as a part of her command. I wasn’t sure it mattered. Instead of leading me to the front door, she led me to the full length mirror near the television and pressed a hand to it.

“You’ve probably noticed all the mirrors,” She said. “Angela doesn’t like phones because she thinks the selfie cameras are going to replace mirrors. They’re made of a hyper conductive material that allows is to travel from point to point. Today we should be able to pop out in the dressing room at the Target in town, really easy. Just go ahead and put your hand on top of mine.”

“We’re…going to travel through the mirror?” I asked incredulously.

“Hand on mine,” She repeated. I didn’t ask any more questions, I placed my smaller hand on top of hers and shivered a bit as the air around us grew cold, then gradually warm again. It wasn’t a sudden feeling of movement, nothing much happened really, but in the mirror I saw the room behind us fade away and was suddenly replaced by what I could only describe as a concrete bunker with a few well lights mounted in the ceiling shining down and creating pools of light throughout an otherwise very dark space. I spun around and stared at the white concrete walls in a panic, where were we? This wasn’t a dressing room at target. I immediately looked to Meredith who was staring down at me with a very cold, very composed look on her face.

“Go to the center of the room and kneel,” She told me, no emotion whatsoever. I obeyed. My body obeyed. It didn’t have a choice.

“You know,” She said as I dropped to my knees wincing as they made contact with the cold concrete. I straightened my skirt out so I was at least covered. “Normal girls, mortals, I mean, they could tell you what to do, they could give you commands and you would be inclined to follow them, but your body wouldn’t just go on autopilot. Angela and I, and others like us, our voices carry a bit more authority. We’re meant to influence mortals, we’re meant to cause change. I like this, because I can tell you to do literally anything, and that submissive nature of yours will go right along with it.”

For the first time I noticed she was holding something, what was it? Something long…it was a switch, like the kind you use on horses. Oh god, what was she going to do?

“Meredith…” I said weakly, trembling as she moved toward me.

“Shut up,” She growled. “Shut your mouth. I don’t want to hear a peep out of you. Don’t move, don’t talk, kneel here and take it. Take it like the weakling you are. I don’t care what Angela says, you’re not one of us, you might be immortal, but it was an accident, it was a mistake. After I get done with you today I’m going to leave you in this room, she’ll never find you, and then you can spend all eternity wishing you hadn’t matched with her on that dating site.”

Before I could contemplate what she’d said, she struck me. The switch came down across my face, sending me hurtling across the floor. I tried to scream, but per her command, I couldn’t even open my mouth.

“Get back to the center!” She screamed. Her voice echoed across the room, bouncing off of the concrete walls. “Kneel!”

I obeyed. I took up the kneeling position again, only to be struck again, three more times, this time on the arm, then the back, then my bare feet. I screamed internally, my eyes watered. She didn’t relent, she kept hitting me, over, and over, and over. She kicked me, her pink tennis shoe connected with my chest, knocking the wind out of me and knocking me over. She screamed at me to kneel. My body felt broken, but it still obeyed her command. Again, and again, the switch came down. It struck my upper lip, I felt a pool of blood forming. I felt the warmth running down my face. Oh dear god no, no, no, this couldn’t be happening.

“You’re pathetic!” She screamed with absolute hate and vitriol saturating her words. “I wish I could just let you die."

I heard the switch swing again, singing as it came down toward my body, I cringed, and began to sob, expecting the worst, but it never came. The impact never connected with me, I knelt there, my eyes closed tight, my body shivering. There was no sound; you could have heard a pin drop. What was happening? I opened my eyes, my arms were raised, both of them. They were grasping Meredith’s wrists, keeping the whip in the air just above my head. I’d reached up and grabbed her wrists. I’d stopped it from happening. No, I hadn’t stopped it, she was stronger than me. She’d stopped as soon as I grabbed her wrist. I stared up at her, making eye contact and trembling like never before. There was dead silence for a least a minute before she withdrew her hands and towered over me. I slowly, and carefully stood from my kneeling position in front of her, barely coming up to her chest.

“I am NOT the worst thing that you’re going to face,” She said to me, her face stone, her arms suddenly folded. “I will not go easy on you. I am NOT Angela. I’m going to tell you the truth whether you like it or not. You did good today, you defied me and stopped my arm, but you have a long way to go, and not enough time to get ready. Straighten your dress, we’re going shopping.”

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Meredith

WillowD's picture

And with this chapter I just might be liking Meredith after all. You certainly have me hooked.

Tough love?

Or just tough?

It looks like she is taking care of her, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Surprising development

Hmm well that was surprising, Jasmine defied Meredith. What got me thinking was the things she said about immortals, to me it sounds like that are all dominant people so will Jasmine slowly convert from a natural sub into a dominant person due to an immortals nature?

On Meredith, she is also immortal but seems to have a very low opinion on mortals or nomal people in general. Also it seems like her and Angela is playing good cop and bad cop like someone suggested before. Since she calmed she will not go easy on Jasmine and will state only the truth to her, so im taking what her she said before also to be true since she had no reason to lie, such as her thoughts on Jasmine being immortal now and her wish she could leave her to die in the bunker.

Im still on the fence on what her motives are but if things continue to go towards the direction they are going then she will become a very likeable character to come, or at something akin to a bully turned into a well rounded person.

Clever!

Nice work building your story! The characters started as stereotypes, but you are getting deeper with this installment. Not everyone who speaks fair is a friend, nor are all who speak harshly foes. And these “immortals” are starting to feel a bit familiar. As in, “in the end, there can be only one.” :D

Emma Anne

Begging Angela

I wouldn't think Highlander immortals, more like the inhabitants of Olympus or the kids of other old pantheons bored with life and now just running around looking for anything interesting and playing with people like toys.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Oh wow...

That was such a twist. I was so worried for poor Jasmine ;-;

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

I have to admit

I am confused, but for me this is the norm, I am on this story till the end.

Clever

At first from the start of the story I thought oh no,yet another poor male punished with excessive force just for upsetting a female, but it has started to develop,u get the impression that Angela has made some sort of mistake, she seems to have been given a task to reduce his submisivnes and thought the initial punishment would do it,and expected him to gain enough control after a week to walk out himself, but then she never checked up to see if it worked, now she is stuck with him,and iiis true she can't just let him go as he would be a danger to himself if he was unable to refuse a command, and Meredith,, the beating was extreme, but it produced a result,he faught back and she stopped the instant he showed resistance, her comments suggest there is some sort of time limit and he has to be ready, even Angela said he would be able to change back to an older form when he was ready,so, so maybe Meridith knows what she is doing is not nice but has no choice herself if he is to avoid future harm

The beating was extreme...

... for a mortal.

But think about what they all face. A mountain or a building could fall on them, and they would be stuck. Forever. Unable to die.

If Meredith is trying to prepare her for life as an immortal, then we can think of what she is going through as basic training. Or the special super secret training that some of the black ops take -- something so horrible that they have to classify it top secret.

So, better to be beaten, or to end up with the equivalent of being buried under a building because someone less scrupulous (and more bored) decides that she would be a great toy.

Or it could be that Meredith is just having fun.

By the way, I would expect people who are older than any civilization or government to see themselves as above that government. Or, at least, not subject to it.

If I'm living in my paradise O'Neill cylinder somewhere in the Oort cloud ten thousand years from now, and some group of up-starts decides to park around me and declare that area the Most Dominant Kingdom of Snurds, I won't feel that I am subject to their whims.

Extreme compared to ?

Saw a program once we're some old drill sergeants who had to take raw recruits to soldiers in six weeks during second world war, they each admitted that what they did was terrible to the men they trained and to an outsider brutal but as one commented, they were sending boys into battle and if they wereynot ready then far more would die because of it, but the same man said those that did come back were never the same, and were in many cases harder in their attitudes,it was needed to allow them to survive but they did loose something