The Unicorn's Gift - Part 6

Printer-friendly version

The struggle makes us stronger
As we pass through life’s travail
And all without our knowing,
if we live, or if we fail.

We face the pain and strife,
that threaten to divide us.
To our surprise we find,
a strength that burns inside us.

So tempered, by the flame.
And, forged like steel or iron.
We find within ourselves,
The courage of a lion.

by


Sarah Lynn Morgan
The Unicorn's Gift
 
  The_Unicorn_s_Calm.png
Part Six

 
 
 
 

     Syna felt the drop of water running down his cheek. The impact of the second, along with Aida’s giggling, made him feel just a little annoyed, but as soon as he opened his eyes to see the little fairy shaking a wet flower over his face and giggling down at him, any bad feelings were quickly lost in amazement and simple good humor.

Syna pushed himself up into a seated position. “I’m sorry. I keep falling asleep.” He said, having done so for the third time morning.

Aida just giggled at him, and settled down on his knee. “You were tired. I was too.” The little fairy said, before it began to grin at him again. “You are very pretty when you sleep.”

Syna sighed, and wrapping his arms tightly about his middle, he leaned forward and whispered. “You are very pretty when you sleep too.” This caused the fairy to giggle back at him with complete abandon, as she fluttered her wings, making her little bottom bounce on his knee.

“Do fairies often make friends with big people?” Syna asked.

“No.” Aida said.

It surprised him, as she sat there smiling brightly up at him as if he were the most wonderful thing she had ever seen, and said nothing more. It made Syna giggle too, because he had fully expected her to launch into some silly song.

“What, Aida, no little song?”

“No.” She smiled up at him more broadly.

“Why are you so nice to me, then?” Syna asked the little fairy, which must have thought that this was the silliest question she had ever heard.

“I already told you.” she beamed. “You are special.”

“Thank you, Aida.” He said, his heart feeling full, with the unexpected kindness of this little creature. “That is very sweet of you, but I’m not really”

Aida’s eyes darkened now slightly, as she looked up at him, searchingly. It only lasted for a few moments, though, as she seated herself firmly back down on his knee before speaking once more. “You are.” She said, with complete finality. “But, you don’t know how special you are. You are sad. That is why you are so tired, S-Y-N-A.” The fairy tried his name on for fit. “You are just not thinking clearly, but you need not be afraid. Humans are always sleepy when they meet one of the ancient ones.”

Syna just looked at her, and she just stared at him. “Why am I so special?” he finally asked.

The little fairy just giggled, and shook her head, no differently than anyone he had ever known. Aida flew up, and landed on his shoulder, and began to tug at the ribbon that lay there. “Your bow is broken.” She said, a little sadly.

“It’s not broken.” Syna said quickly, which caused the little fairy to giggle in his ear.

“I know that.” She giggled. “I have often seen both ribbon and strings, and all manner of fancy human things.”

The fairy was teasing him; Syna could not help but feel good inside. Slowly, and carefully, he reached up to remove the ribbon, and then gathering his hair, began to run his fingers through it, pushing it back. Surprisingly, it felt much longer and heavier than it felt when he wore it bound up, but that couldn’t really be. He continued to run his fingers through it, to remove any grass that might have been caught there, until Aida came flying back in front of him with a small pinecone. It was one of the ones that never opened from the tips of the trees, and it still had a waxy coating.

“Here” she said, “use this.”

Syna was doubtful, but on taking the cone he could see that it was not sticky with sap, so tentatively, he tried to run it through his hair. To his surprise, it worked well enough that he soon had all of the tangles out, and even more, the waxes on the cone had caused his hair to smell like the pine, and to shine brightly in the sun.

Amazed, he turned to see Aida watching him intently from a rock. “Very pretty.” She said softly.

Then Syna began to retie the ribbon in his hair, which was much harder than it had been the first time, because Aida would accept no other choice but to help him. She also insisted that it be perfect, which of course took far longer than necessary, as she tugged it gently one way, or the other. Finally, however, even the little fairy seemed pleased, and flew briefly in front of Syna to ever-so-gently touched her nose to his, before flying back to his knee once more.

“Are you hungry, yet?” Aida asked expectantly.

To Syna’s very great surprise, he was. After the meal that he had had a few hours before, he would normally not feel the need to eat for hours. Probably, not until tomorrow, but somehow, he was a little hungry.

Aida did not really wait for an answer anyway. “Good.” She said, and began to lead him off toward the woods, where using his apron for a basket, she guided him to all sorts of tasty things, like berries, and nuts, and mushrooms that looked like bread.

Syna mentioned politely that he really should be on the way home by now, but the little one would not take no for an answer. She insisted that if he should go, he had to eat again first, and to take additional foods that she would choose for him.

Syna could only agree, because to do otherwise would be pointless; and, several of the little things that the fairy had insisted he eat had been wonderful. Several more had been less than palatable, but on Aida’s assurance he had eaten them, and they did make him feel undeniably better. Her giggling as he made faces had been the only thing that did not help. Well… perhaps just a little, he thought with a little more generosity.

He felt much better than he had in a very long time in fact. As he absently rubbed his free hand over his skirt and vest, he took great comfort there as well. Checking his bow, he looked up at the sky to determine that he might not have time to make it to the inn, which he was sure Dara would forgive him for; but, that he could still make it home just after dark, and well before his father would begin to worry, too much.

Soon enough they were on their way back to the side of the little pool, with the little fairy singing some silly little song that made them both laugh occasionally, when without warning she stopped in mid air, and gazed off to the south.

Suddenly, from the direction she was looking came a movement that Syna immediately recognized, even before it had come to a stop before them, and alighted onto a tree branch just above and several feet away.

A very quick conversation of some sort, punctuated by rapid gesticulations on the part of the newcomer, took place. When it was over, Aida’s eyes were darker than Syna had yet seen, looking now more of a light brown. Looking at the other fairy, Syna could see that this one had darker hair, and her eyes seemed to be a dark pea green color, but there was no light there either.

The other little fairy just stared at Syna, but came no closer.

“Hello.” He said softly to the new one. “I’m Syna.”

The new fairy nodded, and he thought it might have said “This I can see,” but he was unsure.

Aida was suddenly before him. “We must fly, we are needed.”

“What is wrong?” Syna asked, worried to know what hardship had befallen his little friend.

“Hurry, and follow, as quickly as you can!” and with that, both of the fairies darted off, deeper into the wood, almost faster than the eye could follow.

A real sense of panic began to rise up in him, as he dropped the booty to the ground, and picking up his skirts with both hands, and began to run as fast as he was able in the direction the fairies had gone. He had just begun to wonder how he would ever find them, when Aida suddenly came streaking back to him to call out encouragingly, “This way, Syna. This way! Have care, the bushes ahead have thorns.” The little fairy then rushed off in the indicated direction, calling softly thought the deepening gloom of the wood. “Follow!”

It happened several more times like that. Syna would just run, and as he came to some obstacle or other, Aida or some other fairy would come back for him. “This way! Watch your feet, or else the two, may never meet!”

Then…

“For one so large, with such big feet, you run so slow, when time is brief!”

Syna ran faster, as fast as he could, and soon Aida was before him.

“Carefully now, the roots hold treachery, and watch for the straw, under pines it is slippery!”

Well at least they didn’t want him to kill himself, he thought; unless it was of a heart attack. He slowed just enough to be sure he did not fall, but still pressed on as quickly as he could. Fortunately, he had had more practice running in a skirt, than he had had walking in a skirt, so despite the fairies cajoling, he knew that he was moving very well.

With almost no warning, Syna burst out upon a path, and found he was face to face with the little pea-eyed fairy. “This way!” she said, and hovering just overhead, she guided him to his left along the path. “Hurry now Syna, and do make haste! His need will be wanting, at a slower pace. Follow now, as fast as you can, the time has come for the daughter of man.”

Syna almost stumbled as the fairy referred to him as the Daughter of Man, which caused him to drop his skirt, which he had held tightly bunched in one hand as he endeavored to run even faster down the path that was clearer than in the forest trail. His arms were now free to work together, and pumping, his heart felt as if it might burst long before his way up the path began to grow lighter.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     Mr. Balderdash slowed to a trot as he entered the little square before the Inn. Jada made no effort to tie the horse, as he stepped off and walked through the door to the great front room. Mr. Balderdash snorted, and walked over to the trough in front of the inn that the grooms usually kept full of clean water. The water was less fresh than usual, due to the boys being out searching the nearby village for Syna, but it was still refreshing. Having drunk his full, Mr. Balderdash then walked slowly over to the window at the front of the Inn, where he stood watching what was going on inside.

“They are out back. Calum did not want them in the great room.” Dara said to Jada, as he paused briefly to collect any new information. He had only just begun to move toward the rear door, when Keely came through it into the common room, her tears streaming down her face.

“What is it?” He asked fearful, in a question that was ostensibly the same one that Dara’s eyes were asking at the same time.

Keely did not speak for moments, which struck deeper fear into Jada for the welfare of the missing girl. Fortunately, she did speak in response to her mother’s second question.

“They are so mean mother!” She blurted out in anguish. “They are animals! They think it’s funny!” She screamed, before falling into her mother’s arms and sobbing uncontrollably.

Dara was barely able to keep from crying too, as she sought to comfort the girl. Jada only watched for a few moments, before walking slowly out the back door with a dangerous look on his face.

When he arrived in the kitchen yard, he could see the two men from last night standing sullenly against a high fence. Directly in front of them was the village elder, his many years belied by the menace in his stance as he looked at the two men.

Jada paused to take it in. The villagers referred to them as ‘boys’, but in Jada’s unprejudiced eyes, they were men. They were old enough to know better, and to accept the consequences even if they did not. In that his judgment was final.

Calum was standing to his left, glaring with undisguised anger at the pair. Even if they felt less than inclined to accept the elder’s authority, Calum made it clear that the alternative would be swift, and most certainly worse. To his right, the smith was looking down sullen, and upset. That made sense to Jada only when he looked back at the pair, and realized that the one called Braun, the lesser of the two when it came to wit, was carefully guarding either his arm or his ribs on his right side.

“Well?” Asked the Elder

“We haven’t seen 'it' since last night, but as far as I’m concerned, the little freak came to a bad end.” Bram stood slightly more erect than his witless cousin did, but was also glaring petulantly at the man standing before them.

“We’ve all heard that.” The elder held an amazingly level tone. “We’d like a clear answer as to whether or not you had anything to do with it."

Braun did not speak, or look up to meet Jada's gaze, but his face held no lack of response.

“We didn’t kill the worthless little piece of shit.” Bram said defiantly, “and even if we did, what makes you think most of the folks around here would even care.”

The Elder just stared at Bram.

“We saw him here last night, and then we left, like I told you.” Bram finally broke the stare.

“And, where was it that you went after you left here.” The elder asked them just as he had the last four times he had reached this very point with the men.

“I told you, you old goat, that was none of your business. You’re too old to understand anyway, or to remember. I’ll tell you instead where we’ll be tonight: Down by the river, waiting for your little barmaid to go floating by.”

Bram laughed at the vicious joke, at least for a moment or two. Jada was sure Calum might have struck the man, had he not been busy holding onto The Smith, who seemed intent on throttling the cousins, one in each hand.

Mr. Balderdash, keen to the sounds coming from behind the inn, and having seen his friend walking out the back, came slowly around the corner of the building and laid his head briefly against Jada’s back.

The questioning went on for a while longer. Jada did not even listen to the words, but rather, only to the tone of what was said. The two seemed to derive as much pleasure from suggesting various horribly messy things that might have happened to Syna as they did in goading the elder, whom they saw as unable to do them any real harm. The fear in their eyes, as they regarded the brawny smith, or the larger innkeeper was real enough, but that only made them more…, obnoxious as they attempted to hide their fears of the two men. They couldn’t understand that it was only the orders of Keene, the Elder, that kept the older men away.

Finally, Jada had had enough.

“May I?” Jada asked softly, not really asking at all, as he placed his hand gently on the old man’s shoulder. When the elder turned, Jada could see the hate in his eyes, and was impressed that the man held it in so well. Under his hand, he could tell the old man was actually trembling. He could also see that he was grateful for the respite, and the chance to collect himself.

“So, now the errand boy wants to try.” Bram said with a sneer, which caused Jada to simply smile as he stepped in front of the man.

The Elder snapped in horror. “He is more than, an errand boy — Boy! You hold your tongue, and you answer whatever questions Lord Jada asks of you, or you’ll by god wish you had.”

Jada was unhappy that the man had blurted out information that he was supposed to keep confidential, but he supposed that in about thirty seconds, that information would be evident anyway; so, he just smiled as he stepped in front of Braun, and waited for him to look up into his face.

Jada did not even flinch or look as the ringleader Bram began to swear and thrash about violently. No one could see how pleased Jada was at this turn, as he impassionately watched Braun, who did also did not notice because he looking in horror at his cousin.

When Jada finally did turn to look, he could see Bram all but sobbing as he tried in vain to push Mr. Balderdash away from him to free his foot. Looking down, Jada saw that his old friend had the pig’s whole foot under his hoof, and was leaning just close enough to deny the man any room to swing. With a studied and deliberate slowness, Jada walked back over to where Bram was pinned, pausing only to softly rub the lock at his horse’s forehead; before he continued on to stop facing the innkeeper and the smith. Both men were looking on in abject amazement.

How could they know that Mr. Balderdash was not only large, but had come from a long and distinguished line of pure warhorses, or how close he was to attacking and stomping the two men to death, because of the emotions he sensed from his friend. Bram must have moved.

Looking aside, Jada could see the Elder was watching the horse, with a look that spoke more of satisfaction.

Sobbing now openly, but thrashing far more weakly, Bram had seemingly run out of profanities finally. Slowly walking back, Jada placed his hand softly on the horse’s shoulder, which on feeling the touch looked back at Jada.

“Excuse me, Sir Balderdash. If you don’t mind, I would like to talk to the gentleman again.” To the amazement of all watching, the noble animal simply walked off toward, Braun, and upon arriving there, turned around, and began to step slowly toward him sideways. Braun, in a panic, began to scale the fence in an attempt to lift both his feet off of the ground, but unfortunately for him, the animal had a different plan in mind.

Everyone there heard the “Oooof!” of the breath rushing out of Braun, as Sir Balderdash leaned his rump against Braun’s back so hard it made the fence creak loudly with the weight. Braun looked like a bug that had been speared through the middle, as he weakly thrashed his limbs about, in a vain effort to free himself.

Long afterwards, some claimed that the blue color of Braun’s face was due to Sir Balderdash breaking wind violently at the same time, and not the simple suffocation it appeared to be. All Jada would say of the matter was that his horse would never do such a thing in public, and even if he should do so inadvertently, Jada would certainly not embarrass the sensitive animal further by discussing it so openly in public.

However, Jada seemed to have little concern that Braun might actually expire, because he had already decided that he was too stupid to waste any of his time on. He would not speak until Bram did. So, Jada knelt down to face the man, who was sobbing and rubbing his foot, and who showed an equal lack of concern for the delicate shade of lavender (or perhaps it was puce?), already achieved by his younger cousin.

“I work for the Chancellor, Sir.” Jada said almost too softly for those behind him to hear clearly. “Do you know what that means?” He smiled.

Bram’s face was insane with rage and pain. “It means that you and that stupid brute of yours can go an…”

Bram never finished the thought. Jada had moved with a swiftness that stunned all about into silence. Neither could anyone tell for certain where the dirk he held to Bram’s throat had come from. All that they could tell for sure was that Jada now held the man’s head against the fence with the fingers he had entwined in his hair, with the point of the wicked looking blade pressed so tightly into his throat that a trickle of blood had already begun to flow down his neck.

Even more so than in The elder, Keene, Jada’s tone never varied. “I asked you a question. That does not mean you have my permission to otherwise speak. Now I will ask you only one more time. Where did you and your moron cousin go upon leaving the inn last evening, and do you know where the missing boy is?” Even as he said this, Jada emotionlessly slid the point of the dirk further under Bram’s skin, and closer to the vessels that lay in the path of the weapon.

Bram began to kick his feet weakly, but his bulging eyes never moved from Jada’s face.

“Just remember, that you speak of an officer of the court, Jada Gray, and I work directly for the Chancellor. I dispense justice, both high and low in the king’s name, and upon the instant that I suspect you perjure yourself, I will rid this village and this kingdom of you — forever.”

Bram slumped, and hissed, “Please. The dirk, ease it away. Please.”

“Certainly,” Jada said softly, and in an equally swift flicking motion, he placed half a small finger length of the tip of the dirk up the man’s nose, causing his eyes to bulge even more remarkably.

“Mr. Balderdash,” Jada said softly, which was quickly followed by the sound of Braun hitting the ground with the same noise a sack of potato’s makes when dropped from the back of a cart.

Bram’s eyes shifted in terror, as the animal slowly walked back toward him.

“You should know, neither Mr. Balderdash nor I ask these types of questions twice.” Jada said flatly…

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          It had turned out that the two men had no idea where Syna was. They were quickly proven to have been in the company of their first cousin, Mala; who all present knew to have a smell somewhat like the pigs her family raised. Had that not been enough, the family resemblance was enough to give the relationship away. Of course, he was thinking of the pigs. To be honest, there was enough of a resemblance to Bram and Braun as well, being that they were so closely related, that Jada might have suspected.

Jada did not even look back as he rode out along the village road. He no longer cared what happened to the two. At first, the other three had debated whether or not to send for the old healer, Braelan; until his age, and frankly, his complete lack of talent decided in favor of calling him. Therefore, the young men’s demands that someone do something to ease their suffering, was soon answered by a very old, and very shaky ancient man who did indeed do something. He greatly increased it with his inept and unskilled prodding, even before he found them to be overfilled with their youthful manly humors, which sadly necessitated his apply the leaches to their....

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     The first thing that Syna noticed was that the forest about him was growing much lighter again, even as the path turned up into the hills. He could soon tell that he was coming into some kind of clearing. When he did finally reach beyond the trees, he could see that it was a clearing much like the one where he had spent the day. However, this one being farther up the valley, had a much steeper drop-off to one side, and a much denser forest on the other.

Syna did not get a chance to look out over the vista offered by the drop-off, however, as the moment he entered the little clearing, dozens of fairies sprang into the air about him. For several moments he was unsure enough that he covered his face with his arms, and squatted down. This only seemed to excite the fairies even more though, so Syna just slumped down to try and catch his breath.

Soon, the little Pea-eyed fairy came back, and settled the other fairies with a word or two. Then she herself settled in a branch near Syna, and then just sat waiting.

“Are you not well, little human?” A red-eyed fairy asked him.

Syna could only roll his eyes, as his heart was threatening to come out of his chest. “No!” Was all that he could manage, as he had not yet caught his breath.

When Syna could finally breathe, he asked the little fairy, “What is wrong?”

“Wait.” The fairy said, not taking its eyes away from where she was looking.

The Pea-eyed fairy was looking over to the other side of the clearing, where Syna could just discern a soft snorting noise. Then, suddenly, at a single whinny which had clearly come from a horse, the fairies all leapt into the air, and raced to the other side of the little clearing and down a path that he could see must run long the cliff.

Slowly, Syna rose where he was to try and see, but he could tell nothing. Making up his mind, he followed in the directions that the fairies had gone, even though he was afraid of offending them if he did not do as they asked. On reaching the trees on the other side, he could see them again, all sitting about looking further down the path. Of Aida, and the pea-eyed fairy, he could see nothing. All of these were much smaller he noticed. He could see that a few of them glanced at him, which told him that these little ones had jet black eyes, with no pupils, and that most of their attention was held in the direction of the noise.

Then, Aida came flying back, with the Pea-eyed fairy, and another with a silver-blue colored eyes. This one seemed to be watching him closely.

Aida quickly settled on his shoulder, while the others hovered just in front of him.

“You must come now. The little ones failed.” Aida said sounding as out of breath as he felt.

“What is wrong?” Syna asked, a little frightened to proceed, the faeries seemed
to upset.

“He needs you!” Aida said with more exasperation than he had yet to see her express.

The little blue-eyed fairy asked, “You are a Human child?” Which Syna only nodded at, but otherwise sought to ignore.

It was the Pea-eyed Fairy who finally tried to explain. “Asho! It is him whom we serve. I am Aida, and the ancient one is in need. You must make haste!”

Syna began to walk, but still asked his own Copper eyed fairy, “I thought Aida, was your name?”

“No!” she said urgently. “I have already told you my name! Did the sleep of the ancients take your memory? She is Aida, just as I am. We tend him, but you must hurry to him now!”

The blue-eyed fairy began to sing.

“Thou hasten now, to aid his need.
Anger him not, so go with all speed
For his wrath is fearsome for all who see
But his sorrow’s more painful by far!”

At that moment, there was a loud whinny, which sounded pregnant with pain or fear. Instantly, the fairies began to pull him along frantically by anything their small hands could grasp.

Syna only just heard one of the other larger fairies in the tree, in a barely discernable accent, say something like “He does this only when there is a beautiful maiden about.” Those were not the words, he was sure, but they had the same meaning.

The blue-eyed fairy snapped toward the speaker for an instant, and said “Blasphemy! Hold your tongue, or you will be banished!” Then that Fairy too came back to hurry him along as well.

“You must not fear him.” Aida said quickly. “You must not, for he will know your heart.” She said it with a little smile toward him, which flashed across her face so quickly that Syna thought he had only imagined it. Suddenly, he felt the ground change to bare earth, causing him to look down to see where he put his feet.

The three fairies were pulling him still with a strength he would not have believed them capable, but he still looked down long enough to find a way among some of the exposed roots. He looked back up…, and the fairies stopped pulling, just as he stopped walking.

There along the path, was the flank of the most beautiful white horse he had ever seen. Part of his side was covered in dark mud, but the part that was not was as purely white as untouched snow. As Syna stepped closer, he could see that the color was even more amazing than that, because even though the animals coat was white, it seemed to shimmer with a hint of many colors, just as the fairy’s wings did when they flew in the sun.

Then the horse turned his head and looked at Syna. For a moment, Syna just stared. His mind would not work. He struggled to understand, but he simply could not. His eyes wanted to focus on the single horn of pure ivory that sprang from the top of the horses head, but he could not. Instead, he felt irresistibly drawn to the animal’s eyes.

He could not look away, but he wanted to. His eyes were not a horse’s eyes, but were purest black, without blemish, save for what light reflected in them. He did not want to look away, but he somehow felt He should. When he dared to look more deeply into the eyes, he felt as if he were in danger of falling into them as one might fall down a bottomless well.

The Unicorn just stood there looking at him, and Syna could not move.

“Do not fear him, Syna.” Aida said. “He needs your help.”

“I do not fear him?” Syna repeated. “He’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.” Once he said this, he began to walk slowly toward the unicorn.

“Don’t worry. I won’t hurt you.” He said softly. “What is wrong? I’ll try to help.” Syna was unsure off all he said, but only that he kept talking the whole time he approached, as much for his sake as the Unicorn’s.

“Is your name Asho?” he asked. “My Name is Syna. Don’t worry. I’ll help you if I can. What is wrong you poor thing?”

As he got closer, Syna could see the problem. A small trickle crossed the path, and had caused some mud to form there. The stream had also caused a side of the cliff to weaken, and fall away. The unicorn must have been crossing the path, because he seemed to be unable to move, other than occasionally tugging on his hind leg. As he moved closer, Syna could see at least a dozen other Fairies, large like his friend, who were flitting frantically behind the Unicorn. He couldn’t count the little ones.

Upon reaching him, Syna eased himself down to one knee, and slowly lifted his hand to Asho’s muzzle. “That’s right. I’m here to help you.”

“He knows this, child! He is not an animal!” The pea-eyed fairy said. “Help him, please!”

The unicorn continued to watch Syna, but slowly extended his muzzle to touch his outstretched hand. Syna could feel something more than body heat in his soft Muzzle. What it was, he had no words for, but it affected him in a similar way to the fairy’s smell.

Syna held still for a moment, as the Unicorn closed its eyes, and pressed his muzzle harder against Syna’s hand.

“OK” Syna said quietly, and began to make his way towards Asho’s hind legs. “Let’s see what the problem is.” It was not hard to see, once he looked behind the unicorn. He could also see that it was serious.

When the edge of the bank gave way, some of the smaller trees had been dragged over. Asho had obviously not been able to get clear. He had a cut on his rump, and his Hoof was caught amongst the trees where they lay. What was worse, a further part of the bank looked as if it was about to fall, with only a few roots holding it in place. Many more roots tied it into the trees that lay at Asho’s feet.

Syna could see that the fairies were frantically trying to free his leg, but the Unicorn’s own weight was pressing down on the branches of the fallen trees, making that impossible for the fairies. He could also see that several dozen of the smaller fairies were hacking at the roots that tied the threatened portion of the bank to the saplings that entangled Asho, but it looked like that might take them days to cut the large parts that were exposed. Even Syna could see that they did not have near that much time.

In order to avoid walking on the saplings, Syna began to slide around the cliff side of the Unicorn, kneeling to crawl, and talking softly as he ran his hand down his flank. “Easy boy! I’ll get you out, but you have to be still. Syna could see two trees on the ground that had fallen toward each other. The unicorn’s hoof was trapped between two crooks of the branches of either tree where they had come together. He could also see that the fairies had at one point hacked at the trunks, but to no avail. Small though the trees themselves were, they were too large and too strong, for little stone knives of the faeries.

“OK, Now.” Syna said softly, as he eased down to his knees, and tied to reach for the animal’s leg. “Don’t kick me, I’m only trying to help…”

“He won’t kick you, Syna.” a fairy said, he was not sure which. “He is wiser than your ken, more powerful than he seems, and he knows your heart better than you do, even in your dreams. Though he does not speak, he is not an animal. Help him, please!”

Syna just nodded as he began to work his way over to the trees that were piled around the Unicorn’s rear leg. Suddenly, Syna felt earth beneath his left foot drop away. He fell to his belly, which caused many of the fairies to race to him, and pull him as strongly as they could, but it was unnecessary. His other leg and hands were firmly on the ground.

He told the fairies that he was ok, as he finally reached the leg. Taking it gently, which allowed him to feel the tremors that ran through the creature for the first time, Syna began to try and lift the hoof away. To his dismay, he could see that the unicorn’s feet were larger than a horse’s. His hoofs were at least double the size any horse would be, and there was no earthly way he would be able to work it free.

Syna turned to the trees on the ground. “It’s OK, Asho.” He said with what he hoped was a positive air. “I can see how to get you out. I need to pry these trunks apart, it’s the only way. I don’t believe it will hurt you, but you’ll tell me if it does.”

Glancing about, he saw the fairies were still hacking away at the roots. “No! That won’t help. Aida, have the others start to cut this root where it gets thin right over there.” Syna said, pulling on it, to indicate the proper root. “Have them try to cut all in the same place - a thin place. When this one is parted, I can try to pry these trunks apart.” Immediately, one of the large fairies that had been fluttering about Asho’s hindquarters, rushed over, and began to direct the smaller fairies with a good grasp of what Syna had asked for.

The thinnest part of the root was on the edge of the cliff, where Syna could never have reached it.

“Aida?” he asked over his shoulder, and suddenly found three of the fairies right in front of his face. None of them had copper eyes. “I need a strong pole that I can pry these apart with. We need to put it in place, and be ready when that root parts. We may not have much time. Can you find me a trunk, or a strong stick? I’ll help you get it, but you need to find it for me, very quickly.” Two of them nodded, but all three dashed away in different directions.

Suddenly Aida was on his shoulder. “Syna, he wants you to be careful. He said that even his life should not be saved with the sacrifice of another.”

“I’ll be okay. Please tell him not to worry. I can get him out.” Syna closed his eyes to pray that it might be true.

“He understands you, Syna, as well as he does me.”

Syna nodded.

“Can you find me a heavy stick that I can jam in here?” Syna asked, causing Aida to look at the indicated spot intently for a few moments, and then she raced off as well.

Syna just closed his eyes, and rubbed the unicorn’s leg, telling him he would be OK, over and over. He could only hope his added weight would keep the saplings from shifting further.

Then a noise made him open his eyes, and he saw the fairies dragging a branch rapidly over the mass of fallen trees. “No!” Syna called. “I don’t think that one is strong enough. I’ll have to lift this tree, with it! I need one bigger. Can you manage one that is larger?” He said this, making a circle with his fingers, and then in an inspiration held up his arm. “At least this big.” Now they understood.

It was only a few moments more, when another team of fairies, lead by his Aida, dragged a smaller piece of a sapling toward his hand. All the larger fairies soon joined them, and the trunk soon lay beside Syna’s hand.

Carefully, Syna wedged the trunk and tried to move the top most trees. Part of it was rotted, but the majority was strong. Even so, it was too difficult, because the downed trees were all tangled together.

“OK, Now I need you to twist your foot like this, and pull it out when I say.” With that, Syna reached into the branches and trunks, and took hold of the Unicorn’s hoof, which the beast…, which Asho raised slightly off the ground and turned in response to the gentle pressure Syna placed upon it.

“Good!” he exclaimed. “That’s perfect. You just do that when I say, and then pull when I tell you too!” Syna completed his preparations, by kneeling, and pulling his weight against the pole. It was like bending a green tree, and would move a little, only to be pulled back by the root. He turned to watch the fairies hacking at the root. It should go any time he thought to himself, he just hoped it didn’t take the half of them with it…

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          It took Jada some very little time to track the men. He followed their path quite easily, and soon heard them calling for Syna. When he got next to them, he threw his leg over Sir Balderdash’s neck, and slid to the ground with a thump. Bryan looked at him expectantly.

“Syna is not in the town, Bryan. I’m sure those two had nothing to do with this… Whatever mischief is afoot, it was most definitely not by their hand.” he had to pause, because it looked for a moment as if Bryan might need that moment to compose himself.

“What is more,” he continued, “I think I can promise you that he won’t be bothered by either of them in the near future.”

Bryan just nodded at him, too relieved to talk.

“Now, Mr. Balderdash and I can begin to search farther up the valley, while you two keep working your way up from here.

Bryan stopped him. “Ladd stepped in a hole. His ankle is swollen. I’m going to send him back on the horse, which means that only I’ll be searching down here. Are others coming?”

“A few,” Jada answered, “Calum and a few more, but most of the others will be up here in the morning.” Looking up at the sky, he continued “Too bad it’s so cool, but I’m sure she’s held up somewhere, keeping warm. For now, we are heading up valley and maybe we can find her before evening...”

Jada could almost hear the voices of the woods, in the quiet of the evening; but, the one sound of which he was sure was that of Ladd riding down the valley before he passed into the trees at the bottom of Bryan’s fields.

“OK boy, you have to help me find her,” he said patting his own horse’s neck. Mr. Balderdash just headed into the woods with a snort.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          “Now!” Syna called, and pulled with all his might. He could feel the root parting before he could see it. He pulled with more force than he expected, because when he heaved the root came flipping back, and there were a rapid series of the dull pops of smaller roots breaking, just before the ground dropped away from beneath him.

Fortunately, Syna had a good grip on the pole, with it under one arm, which was all that saved him, but he couldn’t hold on for long. Looking up, he could see that the Unicorn must have pulled free, just as he planned, but in that moment the sound of the large chunk of earth hitting the trees far below came most clearly to his ears. Syna wanted to throw up. Those dull thuds, punctuated by the sharp snapping of limbs and trunks below, were the most sickening sound he had ever heard. He hoped that the fairies were not hurt, but soon all his efforts turned toward the pole in his hands, which had begun to slide loose from the trunks that still lay on the bank above.

It was all that Syna could manage to reach over, and grab some exposed roots on the earthy face of the cliff just as the trees went over, to be followed moments later by a second crescendo of the sounds of the trees from above, and those from below once more snapping like twigs as they crashed together far below him.

Before he could think, a Panicky Aida was at his side, pulling hysterically at the collar of his shirt. Soon there were at least six fairies he could see doing the same, and more that he could feel. Syna just struggled to climb.

Climb as he would, however, he could not find a way to the top. He would reach for a root that looked secure, only to have it pull away from the bank, threatening to drag him away with it. Then he would grab a smaller root, only to have the bark peel away, to reveal the slimy inner root, about which he could not maintain any grip.

Inevitably, his overtaxed muscles began to tire very quickly.

He had already struggled for some minutes, when for the first time, he began to think that if he just let go it would be over quickly enough. His one glance at the jagged edges of the broken trunks below him had been enough to tell him so. There was no way to reach the top; he just didn’t have the strength left, and his muscles could no longer pull as hard as he was telling him to. At least the Unicorn had gotten free. He was sure of that.

Aida was there again, suddenly, pleading with him to try; and, at the urging of his little friend, try he did. He could not find purchase for his feet, and he was quickly losing his grip on the sandy roots.

He closed his eyes and wondered if he might see his mother again. Opening them, the little copper-eyed fairy was still pulling for all she was worth — but now she was crying. Just like a human.

“Let go, Aida.” Syna told her softly.

“NO!” screamed the hysterical little fairy, which was becoming increasingly more difficult for him to see, because her wings were beating so frantically.

“Please let go, little one” Syna pleaded with the last of his strength. “If you get tangled up, then you’ll be killed too! Please, Aida! Tell them to let go.”

Syna no longer had the strength to struggle to pull himself up, and could feel that he would not be able to hold on much longer. His hand slipped suddenly a few inches, as he used the very last of his strength to cling just a little longer to the face of the cliff. He knew that he was to fall, no matter how hard he tried. Somehow it seemed most important that if he was to do so, he would do so only when his strength was finally gone. He would never give up, but it wouldn't be long. He couldn’t feel his hands. They were already numb…

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          Dara looked up, as Calum lead several of the men into the front of the Common room, and most uncharacteristically sat himself down at one of the large tables in the middle of the room. Dara moved, and as she reached him, he reached with his arm to pull her close.

“You found nothing then?” She asked quietly, with the saddest note of reservation he had ever heard. It was like a sadder echo from that horrible time years before. Her question was answered moments later when the Smith came in. He just looked up long enough for them to exchange small shakes of their heads.

Some minutes later, when Keely and Dara had placed food and drink on the table in front of them, Calum finally looked like he would speak.

“You found nothing at all?” Dara asked again.

“NO, Dara.” He said, looking at his daughter standing nearby. She looked even more worried than his wife did, if that was possible. “There was no sign, at all. He’s just not here. It was only a slight chance anyway. He must be up in the valley. Bryan and Jada are searching up there, and if he’s not home by now, we’ll send everyone up there fresh in the morning.”

Calum looked briefly at the smith as he said this, and Dara saw the other man pause in his meal for just a moment to consider, before he too nodded his head.

Dara felt so helpless, that all she could do was to hold on to Calum, and then Keely, who pressed herself against her back, and rested her head lightly on her mother’s shoulder. Dara wanted to ask if they might search in the night, but she knew that in the thick forest and winding paths of the upper valley, they were far more likely to walk right past the child, than they were to see him.

“Did anyone come from up valley?” The smith asked, when he thought he had waited a decent amount of time.

Dara shook her head “About an hour ago, one of the stable boys came in. He said that he found no one at Bryan’s farm. He also said that Chandi woman is up there, on the road, complaining to anyone who comes near that she needs Ladd more that Dyre does.” She finished with a tired note of disgust.

No one spoke further, and several of those around the table pushed their plates aside, and lay their heads in those places.

Finally, Dara began to take off her apron, and looking down at Calum, told him “I’m going up there. If Syna comes back, someone should be there. The same goes for Bryan and Ladd, as well. I can’t just sit here. I might as well make them dinner, as sit here all night.”

“Bryan may find him.” Calum said.

“I know.” She told him.

The last of the light was fading from the sky as Dara approached the cold dark cottage, where her best friend had lived. Even the animals were quiet, having been tended by the stable boy. It was as if no one had lived there for years, and a sight that tore her heart open. She was glad that no one was there to see her Crying as only a mother can for a child.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     ”Take hold,” Aida yelled frantically.

“Take Hold!” she yelled again, causing Syna to lift his eyes. It was hard, because dirt was falling on him from above, so he could not look up without losing his grip finally. He did feel something silky brush across his face, and he was about to use the very last of his strength to ask Aida to please let him go again, when he felt her alight on his hand.

“Take hold, Syna!” The fairy said pleading, before beginning to yell at him again. “Wrap your fingers in as tight as you can and she began to try to wrap someting soft into his loosening fingers.

Looking up slightly, Syna could see the white hair before his face, and somehow, with the help of the fairies, he managed to get his fingers on one hand strongly tangled into it, which was easier to hold onto than the roots, but he realized this had only bought him a minute at most, because the burning in his hands and arms had all but paralized them.

Then, with no warning, he felt himself dragged upward, and back over the edge of the precipice, where he was lifted into a kneeling posture with his face pressed against the unicorn’s shoulder before he could free his hands. It was not a smooth lift, because the unicorn had to rise himself up from his knees, right on the edge of the cliff. Because more pieces of the bank were giving way as the unicorn struggled and scrambled back from the edge, it was an incredible effort to save them both; but somehow, Syna was lifted above the edge, to find himself clinging to the unicorn’s mane as they both walked slowly back and away from the fall that had almost ended both their lives.

Syna would have quickly fallen to his knees again, had he not been holding onto the unicorn’s neck.

Eventually, Syna found his voice, even as the unicorn and fairies still helped him across to the other side of the glade. There they found him a place covered with soft ferns, beside a large rock that still gave off noticeable warmth from the heat of the sun earlier that day.

There the fairies freed his fingers, and Syna slid to the ground. He could see red on the Unicorn’s mane. Resting his hands palm upward in his lap, and closed his eyes. He sat there for a time, before his eyes slowly slid open to look at the burning palms of his hands, which made him feel ill. It was not good, but one of the little fairies was already beginning to carefully clean the wounds he saw there, which caused him to once more close his eyes in an effort to control his nausea.

Slowly, his arms slid to the ground at his sides, still palm upward. He opened his eyes again, only when he felt the trickle of water on his palm, to see several of the larger fairies working on each hand, with Green-eyes flitting between them both. Across the glade, the Unicorn stood watching him, as other fairies that he could barely see, were also tending him.

“Aida?” Syna called, having trouble focusing his eyes.

“Shhhh! little human.” The green-eyed fairy said softly. “Do not be afraid. You feel the sleep of the ancients upon you. You have not been harmed, but you need rest. Do not move until we’ve cleaned and bound your wounds. Sleep now, and have no fear, for with our care they will heal quickly, and no trace of your trial will be left on your skin. Just rest you now.”

Syna looked at the little green-eyed fairy more closely, and noticed that her expression was no longer disdainful. She was looking at him with great kindness, and if anything at all, with her eyes so much like Syna’s own that she was even more lovely and gentle than his own Aida.

“Why are you all girls?” Syna asked softly, as would any sleepy child.

The little green-eyed fairy laughed out loud, and said.

“… Nor smell, nor see like fairy kind,
cause big folk might as well be blind.”

Green-eyes laughed at him again, before asking, “You think I’m a girl?”

Syna felt confused, but his mind was too fuzzy to even try to make full sense of it.

“You have much to learn, Child.” The fairy said, and then thinking for a moment, it moved closer to his face for a second or two, where he could tell that it too smelled lovely, but different too. Green-eyes was not quite as flowery as his Aida was. Syna looked at ‘him’ till he decided to continue.

“Aida is a girl, as are many of the fairy people. Surely you must have noticed, in her name and in her eyes, her fondness for you?”

“Yes,” Syna said, as he remembered the queer look that the little fairy had fixed on him, especially as she sat naked washing herself. Again his stomach felt lighter than the rest of his body. Then his slowed mind grasped another thought. “Sleep of the Ancients?” he asked.

The little fairy came closer. “Did you not feel sleepy when Aida spoke to you as we fairies do?” The little fairy came closer to his face, so that he could briefly experience the other’s odor or fairy-name once more.

He nodded his head, but said, “Fell asleep,” as the fairy grinned at him.

“She thinks you are very pretty, so she was - excited. No doubt you felt her. Asho is much larger, and much more powerful. You must have ancient blood in you as well, or you would have been deep in slumber, long before now.”

The little fairy sang.

“Human hearts aren’t faint, but divorced of fairy kind.
few can feel the Ancient, in heart, or soul, or mind.

Now no human can long endure, a will of Ancient’s kind
as the human heart begins to slip, and darkness fills his mind.
.
No harm to the human comes of this, but sleep he surely will.
Till the sleep of the ancients leaves him again, his dreams so deep and still”

“Asho is very powerful, but have no fear human, for you are too. We have been commanded to watch over thee with every care, and to tend you as long as you need be here. Even though this be so, our wise one knows that we would tend you without his command, as a fairy knows that a fairy friend is precious, and for one such as you, we would sacrifice much to fulfill her needs.”

The little green-eyed one was staring down at him, which confused him even more, because he did not remember lying down. Now, Syna was on his back, on a soft bed of ferns and grasses, which the other smaller fairies had placed there without his notice.

Suddenly the copper-eyed fairy was back. “Aida?” he said. “I have to go home.”

“You will.” She answered gently. “Fear not, for you will be free to go, whenever you are ready, but for now, you must rest. You have already paid so dearly, that he will ask no more of you now. He already has a handmaiden, who still serves him well, and with great love; even though so much of her heart lies elsewhere.”

The little fairy rested on his chest, where he could smell her quite clearly again. He smiled weakly in recognition, as he closed his eyes once more. “You said your name was ‘Aida’ but hers is…?” He said, his voice slurring with fatigue.

“He is.” His Aida laughed. “We serve the ancient one. I am Aida, and so are he and all of the Greater fairies here with you. We all serve the most ancient one, and that is the only ‘name’ I know for us in your human tongue.”

‘OH!’ Syna’s tired mind thought, as he realized that Aida was what they did. They attended the unicorn. He felt his hands stinging, which caused him to awaken slightly. “My hands hurt,” he said softly, but only because he had just realized that they did.

“Not for much longer, Syna.” Aida said in a soothing voice. “We have put on the herbs that will heal them.” Then Aida moved quite deliberately to bathe herself in his breath, as she gently pressed her nose to his.

“Why do you call Asho, ‘the most Ancient One? How old is he?” Syna asked, as he managed to muster some curiosity. Then, he murmured “You smell so beautiful, Aida.” as he smiled once more, and his eyes closed at last.

Aida began to sing softly in his ear.

“Of the stories I have heard,
in all he does not say,
But all the fairies know the gods
created him to play.
So all the earth, was given him,
to wander night and day.

In time the gods then drew away,
just why now, none can say,

Asho would not leave his home,
and they left him here to stay.
But Asho was so all alone,
no longer could he play
He walks here now in sadness,
and lonely to this day.

In time the gods then drew away,
Just why now, none can say.

Of his loneliness he created,
our very fairy kind.
And then the greater fairies,
and him we all do mind.

We love him now, for all his gifts,
and for our very lives.

The fairies do all tend him still,
with his gift, our very lives.”

The little fairy looked at Syna’s face for a moment, before continuing on,


“It is said one day that human’s too
will come to know his mind.
Their path has been determined,
and their future he does mind,
For the gods have set them on their path.
Their purpose we don’t know.

But one day they will rise to them,
their hearts as pure as snow.

Syna wanted to say that he understood, but his mind was once more filled with Aida, even as he slipped into a warm comforting darkness.

“He is strong.” A brown-eyed fairy said in amazement. “Lesser humans seldom take a step when they touch one of Asho’s kind.”

“She,” Green-eyes corrected absently, his eyes on Syna’s Aida, who had lain down upon the child’s chest. “The ancient said her soul is the most feminine of any he has seen.”

“She will be well,” Blue-eyes said to the tired and frightened fairy on his chest, “and so I think will you.” At which the little copper-eyed fairy brightened slightly as she lifted her head to smile back at them, before she lay her head once more.

Brown eyes said so softly, that it was doubtful that any of their lesser brethren, or the child, might hear:

When once there comes a human,
In all like fairy kind.
They join one to each other,
in a love that ties and binds;
but, sooner give thy fairy heart,
to the ocean cold, and blind.
For thy warmth be more requited there,
than in the humankind.

Many of the other greater fairies just watched the copper-eyed Aida, resting there on Syna’s breast.

Looking up, she told the others, herself on the verge of sleep: “So much was taken from this heart, so gentle and so small, it’s a wonder she has any left — any left at all. What love can take is offered, a willing gift from me, even though a fairy’s love’s, better gifted to the sea.”

Aida closed her eyes, and began to rest herself, for the ordeal that lay ahead.

Across the glade, Asho turned and walked away into the woods, followed by many of the greater and lesser fairy kind.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     Jada sat very still on Mr. Balderdash. He could see that there was no use in going on, because that was all that he could see. He could hardly see the ground at all. It had grown too dark.

“Well, that’s all for tonight, old fellow.” Jada said, softly, while stroking his friend’s neck. Jada considered in wonder, at how this animal had always been willing to do whatever was asked of him. He had ridden the animal from dawn, into the night, and still the beast stood patiently, ready for any request that Jada might make of him.

“No point in riding around in these strange woods, while it’s darker than we can see. If we did cross any tracks, your big feet might make sure we’ll never find them again even in the mid-day sun.”

Jada looked about once more, the moon would be up, tonight, but had been waning for a week now, and although it might provide enough light to ride, it would not be bright enough to search by. Regretfully, Jada pulled the bridle softly, and began to lead the horse back to a small stream that they had crossed some hours ago. He expected that the stream was no more than perhaps a quarter of an hour ride, due to the fact that they had been searching back and forth in the fading light.

Jada wanted to make sure the good animal had a drink, before heading back to the cabin. The beast deserved that, at the very least. He had discounted the idea of sleeping by the stream. Jada had what he needed in his bags. Well…, he had enough; and, whatever he lacked, he had spent nights on the ground with much less.

Fortunately, there was no real need. It was only a short ride back down the valley, where both he and the horse could spend a comfortable night, and perhaps even get a little rest.

Once he set the direction, he allowed his friend to find his own path, certain that he would pick the shortest route, save for the need to detour around low hanging branches, which might endanger his rider. Without the need to search further, this gave Jada the time to think.

He couldn’t understand what had happened to the girl; or child, he corrected himself. He could not even understand why he felt such a compulsion to find her. Earlier in the day, as he had ridden back to the village to question the cousins, he had been sick with the certainty that the two vicious idiots had been behind the disappearance. There had only been the most tenuous, and inconclusive signs that Syna had gone up valley.

Although Jada knew that he was hardly the best tracker in the service of the chancellor, neither was he the worst. All and all, he adjudged that it was damned unlikely that the girl could have eluded his search unaided...

What bothered him most, and his worry was profound, was the sense of relief that he had felt when he realized that the hoodlums had not slain the child. It had actually threatened to overcome him for many moments, and even made his hand tremble causing the ruffian to spill some blood on his formerly petulant upper lip. Even now, he was forced to postpone his analysis of his own feelings, so that he might continue to think about her disappearance more objectively.

It was just that the whole thing felt wrong. A frightened young woman might run away as driven on by her fear, but this child had no need of that, Jada thought in frustration. He believed that Bryan had probably never laid a hand on the child, save to hold her close. She would certainly find no better treatment in the real world outside this valley.

Likewise, he thought, a young woman who was upset, would surely have returned after a night in the forest, or at most perhaps two. This just did not feel right. Jada had met the girl after the bullies had set upon her the day before, and even after Ladd’s wife had attacked her. True, the child had seemed to be very reserved, which he now knew to be understandable. This was, in part, why he’d sought to cheer her; however, the easy laughter that had come later belied the very thought that she was a soul must needs flee from her troubles.

The vision of Syna laughing broke his chain of thoughts once more. He could almost smell the faint fragrance of flowers that hung about her whenever she drew near enough for the air to carry it to him. He could still see the way her hand would delicately brush back the hair from her face, where the wind had pushed it a little too far; hair that also smelt of flowers, and reflected the sun like dew on a bright clear morning. Her hair seemed to glow, it’s luster only outshone by her eyes.

Her laughter, that rang in him like chimes in the wind, as it came from lips so delicate and smooth. He had gazed upon her lips, and longed to test their softness…, his fingertips... and his lips.

Mr. Balderdash lurched forward only slightly, as he carefully stepped down a small bank of earth toward the stream. Jada was forced to hold onto his saddle more tightly with his legs, to keep his seat as the clever animal negotiated an embankment to reach the stream. He cursed himself for letting his mind stray so far. He might have been dead a dozen times over if he could not…

As he collected himself once more, he knew that if the girl was not in fact throwing a tantrum, which he could scarcely believe her capable, that only left two possibilities to consider. First, the child had come to a very natural, but very bad pass. Injured in a fall, or attacked by an animal. Jada, pushed those thoughts away a little, and considered them in as sterile a fashion as possible. The second possibility was that it was in fact another of the strange occurrences in this valley, which had caused Jada to be sent there to investigate in the first place.

Thoughts of his mission made Jada sigh even more deeply than he intended; for even though this was an occurrence which was well within the scope of his investigation here, it was not the only mission with which he had been charged. Whether Syna had been found or not, he would have to ride for the next village one morning hence. If he hurried, he could be back in three to four days; when if she were not already found, would be five more all together.

If he should seek to make such a swift, and arduous passage, he would have to rest Mr. Balderdash, and of course himself, tomorrow night. That left him till around sunset tomorrow.

Well, Jada thought, as he noticed somewhere in his mind that Mr. Balderdash’s feet were making soft splashing sounds, at least it was out of his hands. He would leave for the next village, as he fully understood that he had no choice in doing so. It would bother him to do it, but he recognized that if he had not found the girl by now, it was unlikely that he would be able to affect her rescue either way. Then again, the idea that he would just as swiftly rush back again to continue the search, was without a single question in his mind.

As he slipped down the animal’s flank to the stream, to quench his own thirst, he at least felt a little calmer. Perhaps, he would be the one to discover the reasons for the strangeness of the goings on in this valley, or even better, perhaps he might yet find the girl safe. Either way, there was very little that either he or the redoubtable Mr. Balderdash could do about it now.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          The lights in the cabin gave his spirits a lift, until he got close enough to look into the face of the innkeeper’s wife. The hot food she provided him was delicious, but hardly satisfying in the face of the woman’s pain. He barely tasted it at all, as he sat near the fire. He did not hear Bryan’s return to the cabin several hours later.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          Tired as she was, Dara had roused herself before the dawn. She could tell that Jada would awaken soon, because he had grown so restless in his chair. Quietly, Dara moved a pot of stew nearer the fire, so that it would be warm when the men woke. In doing so, she could not help but flash back to the image of Syna doing just the same thing, only a few days before.

‘By all the Saints, and spirits of old,’ she prayed. ‘Don’t let any harm come to the child…’ Dara was helpless to do more, and the very thought of that left her sick in her stomach.

She quietly gathered her things as quickly as she could. She had to get back to the inn, before Calum grew too worried. She was sure that he knew where she was, because he had wanted her to stay at the cottage, rather than wander the woods in the dark. She could understand his fear, with two already missing. It was Bryan, however, who had finally convinced her to stay. The fear in his eyes had been an exquisite argument against taking any such risk. She had talked to him, till he too fell asleep.

Leaving food for breakfast, and provision for the day ahead, Dara slipped out the door and into the chill of the cool morning air and set out down the path.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          “Here she is, Calum!” Someone called, as Dara stepped through the door into the common room.

“Dara!” Calum said in relief, as he stepped from where he had been giving instructions to the stable hands, and embraced his wife firmly.

Dara squeezed him just as hard, as she asked “You weren’t worried, Calum? Bryan wouldn’t allow me to leave last night.” She explained, leaning back to look up at his face.

“No more than a little, my love.” He smiled down at her, but his eyes showed far more relief than he claimed. “I’m just happy to see you safe. I knew Bryan would not let you travel the road last night. Not with two missing. I was simply worried that you might leave before he got there. With two missing already, I don’t think any of you women folk should be out alone, until we get to the bottom of this.”

Dara just nodded. She was unused to his treating her like anything but an equal; however, even she had to admit that if it were Keely who wanted to go out, she would have been the first to forbid it. With one more quick squeeze, she began to move toward the kitchen to prepare provisions for the searchers, just as she had done at the cottage.

Upon entering the kitchen, she was surprise and grateful to find that cook was already there, and had the food well in hand. She was even more surprised to find that instead of finishing off the meals for the men so that they could be on their way; she was standing over someone, who was sitting in the corner while she quietly talked to them. Moving closer, she quickly understood as Keely lifter her tear stained face to her Mother.

“Did they find him?” Keely asked her mother hopefully in the face of hopelessness.

Cook said, “She just woke up, Dara, and she’s very upset the boy‘s not been
found.”

Dara barely paused to hear her, before answering as any mother would.

“Not yet, Keely, but I’m sure today…”

Even though Dara had given the most hopeful answer possible, it did not prevent the new tears that began to slide down her daughter’s cheeks.

“OH, Keely.” Dara said softly, as she knelt to hug the girl. “Shhhh.” She whispered, as she gently rocked her in her arms. It was all she was able to say, as she herself lost the struggle with the tears that hung just behind her own closed eyelids.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     -S.L.M.
 
[email protected]
 
 

Kindly Proofed by Sephrena Miller

 
 
Thank you for reading! If you like this story, Please take a moment to click on the vote
box at the top of the page. Comments are most gratefully welcome, and appreciated!

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"He already has a

"He already has a handmaiden, who still serves him well, and with great love; even though so much of her heart lies elsewhere."

Maybe that's were Syna's mother is?

M

Martina

Stunned

There are times I just can't comment on a great story. Sometimes because of the tears and the powerful emotions it awakes in me, or just getting so involved in it my wits are numb! Rather like waking up in the middle of a very vivid dream and unsure which is the real world and what isn't. It is the latter this time for I really got involved in Syna's incredible rescue of Asho. When I finish waking up from this wonderful story you've dreamed for us maybe my wits will have returned and I can make an understandable comment! :)
hugs!
grover

Layers and layers

Your story grows more complex and more entrancing; you're creating a whole world here - the characters' interactions, the dialog, the flow - so very well done!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Weeping

I'm just weeping.

Weeping for the pain of those worried about Syna.

Weeping for the obvious love and enchantment of Jada.

Weeping for the selflessness of Dyre, willing to sacrifice all to save something bigger, and trying to save the only ones with a chance of effecting a rescue, by telling them to let go.

Weeping for the Ancients, out of time and place, and nestled in this valley.

Weeping for their enchantment and attachment to Syna and desire to save, salve and heal her.

Weeping for the good hearts and kind spirits and all the pain and suffering and worry.

Magic In Bottle

Hello Sarah,

You have managed to capture a special magic with this story that only a very few ever achieve. Your characters even the secondary ones radiate emotions that can't help but draw you in and make you care for them. I have praised your prose before but it just keeps getting better as does the depth of the main players. You have reached rarified air with this gem and I would like to thank you for sharing it with us your lucky readers.

Kindest regards,
talonx

Finished Editing Unicorn's Gift

parts 5 & 6. It is a massive task for a story this size and rapidly posted and I was given the task while this project was underway posting. I dearly love this wonderful story and treat it like the precious treasure it is. I would also like to thank Pippa for spotting a word that was consistant on parts 5 & 6 that I was blinded to during the initial edit scan. Thank You.

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Held spellbound

Oh my! It will take me a while to gather my thoughts...

I couldn't wait to start reading this episode and then I was held spellbound as your story continued to unfold. The reality of the world you have crafted is so true, I felt I was really there with Syna and the fairies, struggling to free the unicorn and then felt such joy when they succeeded and were safe. The details of the origins of the unicorn and the fairies was quite fascinating and the hints that Syna is someone truly special are very intriguing. I shall struggle to hide my impatience as I await the next installment. Tap, tap, tap... no that's not me tapping my foot - honest!

Thank you so much, Sarah Lynn, you have transformed my dull and frustrating day into one of happiness!

Pleione

Aida

Another beautiful day and another beautiful chapter.
I hope the sleep of the ancients brings her body back in tune with her "most feminine of any he has seen" soul.

Love,
Amber

Oh, so very well done Sarah....

....this is a beautiful story. And truly, you are a storyteller.

I just read all of the chapters, and am eagerly awaiting more.

Like with other stories of yours I have read, you have made Syna come alive in my mind. And that is a great gift you have. You draw us, the readers, into her life and make her real. At least for a short while.

C'est magnifique my friend.

Kate
"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats."

Kate
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." William Gibson

Lovely story

Once again, Sarah, you have surpassed yourself with your imaginative descriptive writing. They say that a picture paints a thousand words and that may be true, but your story paints a picture in my mind and it's a lovely thought out one at that. I look forward to continuing the journey with you as your wonderful story unfolds.

Hugs
Sue

Delayed Reaction

terrynaut's picture

I actually read this chapter yesterday but it was very late so I didn't comment until now. I wanted to let it sink in a little anyway. Irony of ironies, it's very late now! Ugh.

Now I see part 7 was posted recently. Halp! It's just after 3 am and I'm trying to get to bed. How can I sleep with this temptation? *groan*

Seriously, I have some sort of strange mental block. I have a rich imagination but I can't control it. I have a very hard time imagining scenes and characters when I read stories. I end up using something akin to mental post-it notes to keep track of everything. Characters are usually a stick figure with a name. Places are very crude maps with a "you are here" pointer. It's really, really frustrating for me. Wot? Do I hear violins playing a pity party melody? *giggle*

With your lovely descriptive prose, I'm actually able to imagine much more than I usually do. Your writing somehow helps me focus very well. I can almost see Syna's face. I can almost prick my finger on the thorn of a bush in the forest. The copper eyes of Syna's newest, bestest friend in the whole world haunt my dreams.

Thank you so much! *sniff*

Hugs

- Terry the Sprite, riding an emotional rollercoaster in the dark

I like it Sarah.

I like it Sarah.
It's a lovely piece of imagery.

You get drawn in to it.
And as in all true tales there are not really any gender(s) to it.

Just bravery and a willingness of sacrifice.
And that is the strongest thing there is.
Well that, and love of course.

A coarse society is ours.
uncouth and sometimes sadly lacking.
Denying simple truths for lies.

Stories like this sets flight to my imagination :)
So keep me flying Sarah.

Cheers
Yoron.

I've been off line

Sarah:

I've been off line while I moved, but I went someplace and down loaded all the chapters that I had not read; hence, no comments on those. This is a wonderful and tender story. To have missed this would have been my loss.

I am going on to read the story; looking forward to much enjoyment.

Gwendolyn

An Enchantment

joannebarbarella's picture

I do not yet know what the gift of the unicorn is.

If his present handmaiden is indeed Syna's mother, then he must have laid some kind of spell or geas upon her to keep her from her husband and son, and this would be a strange kind of gift.

If it is Syna's fate to replace her then her heart will be kept from Dara's, which I feel sure should be her destiny.

Oh, well. Wait and see. Do you know any other unicorns, Sarah Lynn?

Joanne

So Syna's mother is Asho's Handmaiden

I am hoping that the faeries will let Syna go home, because the whole village is just a tad concerned at her disappearance. It seems though that Syna is having fun with the little faeries because methinks that Syna hasn't laughed that much since her mother was brought to the faeries. This is another wonderful chapter, and I am also hoping that the village bullies get theirs too. Now that Jada knows for sure that Dyre and Syna are one and the same, what will he do when he finds the maiden? As Asho said Syna has one of the best female souls he has ever seen. So regardless of what body Syna was born in, Syna is a maiden and should be treated that way. Thank you for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

I'm so sad!

Ole Ulfson's picture

Not from the story, tho I'll admit to a few tears welling, but because with the end of this chapter, I am half way through the last Sarah Lynn Morgan story posted here. I have enjoyed each more than the last, even in genres I don't usually read, and will miss the lovely interludes from the cares of daily life.

As to the story: Well, this has been a busy developmental chapter, delightfully written as always and full of information and surprises. Halfway through and Sarah still has us surprised and guessing.

Thank you Sarah!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!