Hit'n those notes... Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Author retains all rights to this original work of fiction.

Wednesday, March 28th 8:13 PM
The show was progressing as expected and everyone who had performed already had definitely brought their 'A' games - their very best performances. Only two of the performances so far might be considered outside of the singers vocal abilities. Interestingly enough Alexia had done a Whitney Houston song - 'I Will Always Love You' and while not a terrible rendition - she didn't have control of her upper ranges and her performance likely suffered in the judges eyes.

I could sing most of Whitney's catalog of songs - but I would never try singing any of her songs as part of a competition, under pressure. Realistically, my performance of that song would have been full of flaws also. It's not that Alexia didn't have a good performance overall - but it just wasn't in the same category as some of the others who had performed before her.

Jenna choose the Mairiah Carey song - 'Vision of Love'. Maybe it was nerves, but she didn't nail the song and seemed shaky in her higher registers. To be fair she was the first to perform tonight, so maybe there were nerves involved. Plus, the band didn't seem on point to me, like they needed a warm-up act. They seemed way more in sync following her performance. She might be on the bubble, but with four singers left, she was probably a long shot to make the finale.

I was spending so much time calculating my chances of moving on and my nerves were spiking to levels approaching my tipping point. I watched every performer and there was no doubt that this competition was being taken seriously and I had better get my mind right before walking out on stage... Focus... I was beginning to question my song choice... Focus? Augh! Focus!

If the competition wasn't enough to waiver my resolve - the presence of the PBS crew in the 'green' room, with a camera in everyone's faces and the microphone boom swinging around to capture quiet conversations or encouraging critiques was nothing short of annoying. Leza Howell was not only the emcee for the show, but she was being run ragged between her duties introducing the singers, then while performances were going on she was asking questions of those waiting for their chance to perform. Luckily she was focused more with talking to those who'd just finished performing than those of us waiting our turns. Her questions were easy, like - "How do you think did?" and "How did you feel on stage?" and "What did you think of the audiences energy?" It all added to already frazzled nerves if you were waiting to perform...

"Breanna Calloway... You're on deck," the headphone wearing staffer said from the door of the 'green' room.

Hearing my name called took my breath away for a split second. I looked at Wyatt, who was smiling as I scooted to the edge of the couch cushion and stood. He reached up and took my hand, "You'll be fine... Relax..."

"Thanks Wyatt...," I turned to follow my caller toward the stage waiting area. The applause grew louder as I got closer to the stage. My stomach roiled and I tried to slow my breathing, while concentrating on walking in these spiked heeled boots. I should have worn them more, practiced walking in them... Augh! Focus...

"Good luck Breanna," I heard someone say from in front of me in the dim hallway to the stage.

I looked up to see Carol walking towards me. She had just finished performing and as we passed I croaked out a weak, "Thanks..."

I could hear Leza Howell on stage saying something, applause followed, then she introduced Michelle. The applause was crazy loud, deafening, even from off stage and it gave me chills, goose bumps up and down my arms. Oh fuck... Breathe...

Wednesday, March 28th 8:19 PM
Michelle was killing it... Her voice was so slinky smooth and suited to the Alannah Miles song 'Black Velvet'. She knew what she was doing, especially her lower register growl when she dropped into the chorus. She would easily make it to the next round. The band was so...

"Rrrreep! Rrreep! Rrreep!," a short pause, then the screeching continued, "Rrrreep! Rrreep! Rrreep!"

The noise was erupting from all directions and screeched, clawed at the back stage area for your attention. Tiny LED lights on the wall and ceiling were flashing randomly to the noise. It startled me so much my heart jumped a beat and I Iooked around nervously - what the fuck?! I could see stage personnel looking around concerned, then they began acting, moving as if they had a new purpose. The band went silent awkwardly. Michelle had already stopped singing, confused she looked back towards the stage sound control board and Mike the stage manager. I could see him talking into his mic as the house lights were brought up. He left the mixing board and headed on stage - all while we were fighting to endure the screeching "Rrrreep! Rrreep! Rrreep!" and now brightly lit backstage area. Was it this loud for the audience? Shit!

"Ladies and gentlemen," Mike began at the microphone on stage next to Michelle, "Please exit the theater either through the rear or the two exits at the front sides of the stage..." He was pointing like an airline stewardess, "Thank you... Nothing to be alarmed about... Exit to the rear or at the stage..."

I felt a tap on my shoulder, "This way Breanna... Fire alarm. It's probably nothing, but we need to exit out the back."

Fire alarm? Was there a fire? Shit! I followed the stagehand back towards the 'green' room, which was now empty. An exit door was open in front of us and I could see a crowd of people in the alleyway behind the hotel. Once outside I looked left, then right - it was like a sea of people and growing from the exits on each side of the backstage exit. The two lane alleyway behind the hotel was becoming packed - many with concerned faces. Everyone was talking at once - which was noisier than I expected and when I pulled my EIM's the volume of the crowd jumped. The alarm wasn't as load as inside the theater, but combined with the crowd, the acoustics of the alleyway bordered by the hotel and backside of a lesser strip hotel, it was deafening... Thank God the alleyway was lit or this would be a bit spooky. I looked for any sign of a fire, there didn't appear to be smoke or flames.

I made my way to a group of contestants, looking for Wyatt and Janet - they weren't in this cluster. I turned and saw Janet, she waved, and I headed toward her. "Well ain't that special...," she said when I joined her, Wyatt, and Dana.

"Do you think there really a fire," I asked.

"I don't smell anything," Wyatt said, "If there is it's either in the kitchen or someone is fucking with the show..."

I thought about my mom, Bill and Charles, and Kaley - wondering if they exited to the rear or out front. I tried to scan the crowd - no luck finding them in the sea of bodies. It would be a huge deal if there really was a fire. If it was a false alarm, where was all the security Karen Cole had said would be on site? There was an outright brawl in the lobby this morning and now this? The fucking tolerant right wing Christian warriors out front - was this their doing?

In the distance I could hear the sound of sirens. When more of the gathered crowd began to hear them the volume of those talking dropped slightly, but only momentarily. Someone with a blow-horn began speaking, I turned to locate the speaker - Mike - and found him near the stage exit. "We will need to clear this area," he began, "Please move to the north - follow the stage staff with flashlights..." He repeated his message, but added, "Thank you..." to the end of his directions. We began moving up the alley towards the main cross street that bordered the hotel with the rest of the crowd as the sound of sirens grew louder behind us.

Wednesday, March 28th 8:51 PM
The problem with moving within the herd of people up the alley was trying to keep up in these now insanely uncomfortable high heeled boots. My feet were screaming and all I wanted to do was sit and get them off! When we rounded the corner there were more hotel staff directing us to continue and round the front corner of the hotel and reenter at the main entrance. We could hear people asking if there was a fire, but the staffers replied they weren't sure. Why did these stupid hotels insist on taking up entire blocks? Grrr!

I should take these boots off I thought... Okay, it's not much further. Get out of the cold night air and into the warmth of the hotel lobby - see if I can locate my mom. I was nearly naked in this outfit from the waist up and felt even more so without my phone. I hoped she wasn't worried about me... Augh! This really sucks!

As we approached the corner to the hotels front side we could hear shouting, then someone on a blow-horn yelling some message that was unintelligible. It was a little confusing, at least until we got entirely around the corner - then it became more obvious what was being broadcast, "Jesus would not approve...," the person was saying, "You will burn in hell!" Fuck... "Repent..." Shit, we didn't need this crap...

It would take very little to set off the powder keg that was the Pro LGBTQ and Transgender audience that had been forced to exit the theater from the rear of the hotel. These people weren't happy about the shows interruption. All said, we were easily three-hundred plus strong marching to reenter the hotel and get back into the theater - when it was deemed safe. These idiots, an unnecessary distraction...

And then - it happened... Whomever was on that blow-horn for the Christian wing nuts used the word, "Faggots..." and it was on! The gap between the people in front of us grew quickly as a portion of the them rushed forward to confront the heckling protestors. Some people even charged past us! There were shouts, the sound of more sirens, and a jumble of screams and profanities that flowed as the two opposing groups collided - separated only by a handful of police and wooden sawhorse like barricades. The police were shouting in vain over the protestors - at least until an officer from his car flipped on his siren and lights. He began ordering the crowd to disperse from the PA system in his vehicle. It did little to cool those gathering and were heated...

Wyatt, Janet, and I watched the outnumbered group of maybe thirty, possibly forty, protestors stand defiantly between the police, some hotel security, and the barricades setup along the sidewalk area in front of the hotel. The now highly aroused audience from the theater was not backing down and easily outnumbered the protestors by three to one, maybe even more. This wasn't going to be good if the police don't get control of these idiots...

"We don't need any of this shit," Wyatt yelled so we could hear him over the crowd. He took our hands and lead us to the left towards the hotels entrance, we were following the flow of the audience not interested in getting caught up in the conflict.

Wednesday, March 28th 8:57 PM
Pop! Pop, pop, pop, pop-pop-pop! What the fuck! The crowd around us was ducking, there was screaming, and the people in front of us began running toward the hotel lobby entrance thirty feet away. We did the same - caught up in the mob mentality to escape an unknown danger. Police were shouting, we could see their guns were drawn, as they were clearing a way through the protesting religious zealots. "Get down! On the ground! Now! ON THE GROUND!" Multiple voices commanded as we veered left towards the lobby. Gunfire? Oh, shit!

We made it into the lobby in a mass of bodies not daring to look back. If those were gun shots these people's shit had just entered the insane zone. In the crowded lobby we were intercepted by someone from the show staff and directed toward the conference room area. I looked back towards the lobby before we got to the conference room they wanted us to gather in - it was wall to wall bodies as far as I could see. When we approached the conference room two security personnel, unarmed, opened the doors for us and we were quickly surrounded by the other contestants and show staff. Questions flew as fast as the possible gunshots we heard outside, "Are you alright?" - "Were those gunshots?" - "Is anyone hurt?"

Wyatt answered for us - trying to maintain a calm demeanor and not stretching the reality of the situation. I looked around those gathered for Michelle. She wasn't in the room. Augh... The conference room door opened a moment later - Leza Howell and Michelle entered, followed by Karen Cole.

When Michelle joined us, there were hugs all around - interrupted by Karen Cole, "If I can have everyone's attention...," she paused, waiting for the room to settle down.

"Was there someone out there with a gun," Alexia asked impatiently.

"As of yet we have not been informed whether there was a gun or gunfire from the protesting crowd out front...," Karen replied, "We're waiting to speak with the police incident commander. As of right now we're all safe and I've been told the police have the situation under control..."

There were murmurs throughout the group and some questioning looks from the members of the stage crew, band, and PBS representatives - the contestants also. "We can't jump to any conclusions," she continued, "As of right now, the report from the Vegas Fire Department is we had a false alarm. We can be thankful for that..."

I heard someone behind me whisper something about the Vegas shooting several years ago and I shuddered. Holy fuck... We could have been set up to get shot at in that alley or run down by some idiot in a moving truck speeding through the alley to take as many of us out as possible. Fuck... This shit, the protestors, could be a bigger threat than anyone was considering. And tonight, tonight was just the first night of this competition! I closed my eyes - God, please watch over my mom...

Wednesday, March 28th 9:34 PM
The conference room was instantly quieted when the door opened and Blake Schultz entered, followed by a police officer with decorative bars on his collar. "Hello everyone," Blake began, "Not exactly the way we envisioned tonight going. I think Karen already informed you about the fire alarm. That was a false alarm, I just want to reiterate that. Someone pulled an alarm just around the corner from the theater entrance. We evacuated the theater and every room north, including two floors above the theater. We do have video of the person who pulled the alarm, but have not located them yet. A photo of this person has been released to all the local TV stations and Crime Stoppers has offered a ten-thousand dollar reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction. I've talked to the GM of the Grand Cayman and he's given permission for us to match that amount. We should have something on this person shortly...," he paused, "This is Captain Collin Bartell of the Las Vegas Police Department, I'll let him status you on the incident out front, Captain..."

"Good evening," he paused to get audience feedback and after receiving a meek reply in kind, 'Good evening...', he continued. "I'll begin with telling you what you heard out front of the hotel was not gunfire. What you heard were fireworks set off by one, possibly two, of the protestors out front. We have arrested two suspects and recovered some additional fireworks," he paused to look around at everyone, "As you can imagine that was a very dangerous act by those suspects, as my officers had to make a split second decision on whether there was a greater threat in that crowd. Those arrested are very lucky and are facing multiple charges - including a possible domestic terrorism charge."

There were a few comments from those listening intently, the most poignant was from Leza Howell who said, "That is so fucked up... Who do these people think they are?" She had a few people chorus that sentiment and I'm pretty sure everyone agreed with her.

When the comments died down Captain Bartell continued, "We did detain and search those protestors who we contained in the area in front of the hotel. We did not find any firearms. We did however take a couple pocket knives from three people," he paused to look around the room, "By order of the mayor the crowd was ordered to disperse or face possible arrest under city ordinance RCN 28.03.155 for gathering without a permit. Of twenty-eight protestors searched, fourteen refused to vacate the area and were subsequently arrested and taken to jail. We will have a beefed up presence on site through Friday mid-day and I can assure you no permits for gathering will be forthcoming from the city and we will not hesitate to arrest or detain anyone near this property that does not belong. Any questions?"

The room was silent, what was there to ask? Were these idiots going to get real jail time? We could only hope. Blake stepped forward, "Thank you Captain Bartell for the reassurance and the efforts of the Vegas Police Department tonight."

You might expect there would be applause or something after Blake finished speaking, but the room remained silent. Captain Bartell acknowledge Blake, shook his hand, and exited the room. I think the room was pretty much spent - the buildup to the show, the crazy fire alarm, and the protestors out front - in my opinion it was time to pull the plug for the night. The question on everyone's mind was likely - What happens next?

As if on cue Blake began speaking, "Here's where we're at with the show. We have ushered those from the audience still onsite back into the theater - a few open bars being set up in the foyer certainly helped to keep people around and we might have picked up some who didn't have tickets to the show but were in the hotel. Doesn't matter, we've got an enthused audience - I can assure you of that. But, I'm not going to lie, we're at half the capacity we had before things went south tonight - the energy is not going to be same - but there are at least three-hundred people in the theater wanting to see tonight's show to its conclusion. We can run the last four contestants through tonight, get the finale contestants set, have the after party, and call it a night. Or we throw the last four into the front of tomorrows show - set the finale then, perform the finale, crown a champion, and call it a wrap for our week of Transgender Visibility. Karen and I have discussed this and we feel the ultimate decision is yours to make..."

Great! Fucking great! While those who had performed already are likely going to want this night set in stone, we - the final four contestants get the shit end of the stick by having to perform after all this drama. And to a lesser crowd, no less... Yes, nerves were raw - mine especially, but we were going to be at a disadvantage performing tonight instead of waiting for tomorrow night's sold out show. Does the band get a choice? Are they ready to perform? I wanted this night to be over. I wanted to see my mom, my friends, and maybe even meet up with Tyler...

Jenna spoke first, "I'd like the finale set tonight, but I've already performed. I think those who haven't performed need to decide what we do with the show..." A few of the other contestants agreed with her and stated so. What came next was silence and stares at the people in my group and myself.

"Okay, team... Sounds like it's up to us - let's discuss...," Wyatt said to Michelle, Janet, and myself. We walked toward a wall away from the larger group of contestants, while a number of the theater staff had words with Karen and exited with the band in tow.

When we were alone, Michelle spoke first, "This is fucked up... But, I'd like to be done tonight. That's my vote..."

Really? Not what I wanted to hear...

Wyatt nodded and looked at Janet, "I'm for being done...," she said.

All eyes turned toward me... Damn it! "You know we're at a disadvantage...," I said, trying not to sound like I was complaining.

"Yeah, well, I'm for getting this over with... Come on Brea, let's just let it roll and have some fun with it...," Wyatt encouraged.

Augh... I, I don't think I want to do this tonight! Wyatt cocked his head and gave me a smirk - "Fine...," I said after a few seconds. I probably wasn't going to make the finale anyway... Fuck it! Whatever!

Wednesday, March 28th 10:04PM
While the crowd might have been smaller, their enthusiasm in support of us had been ratcheted up a few notches - the free alcohol the show had provided the likely cause? Maybe... When Leza Howell went on stage to begin getting the crowd back into show mode it took a full minute before they calmed down enough for her to introduce Michelle. When Michelle approached the microphone you'd swear the volume of the crowd was even more enthusiastic - like she'd already performed and they were showing their appreciation. I couldn't believe the support, this was crazy, insane!!

At the microphone Michelle said, "Let's do this...," and turned towards the band and pointed. They punched into her song like I hadn't heard any other song performed tonight. Two lines into the song and I could tell she was on fire, she owned that song... The break, the rejuvenated audience, and her performance - she would be in the finale, no doubt about it.

The applause when Michelle was done can be summed up with one word - deafening. Absolutely deafening. So much so, that when Leza Howell tried to settle the crowd to introduce me, she had to wait at least a minute. I got chills from the energy... Okay, use that! You got this... Breathe...

"Ladies and gentlemen - Breanna Calloway...," Leza said while extending an arm in my direction. I felt that familiar jolt of nervous energy, took a final controlled breath, and made my way on stage.

The stage crew had swapped out microphones for my condenser styled model - I wanted the vibe from the 40's, even with my 90's Britney garb - like flipping the pop song on its ear and slowing it down to something from days past. When I walked on stage the crowd again went crazy and after fifteen, twenty seconds I looked back at Brian on piano, flashing him two by two - meaning to start playing, but double up the intro... Hopefully the audience will be calmed down enough for me to begin singing.

Breathe... I turned to the mic-stand and grabbed it seductively as the notes began ringing out from the piano and the audience settled down for me to begin singing... Breathe...

Wednesday, March 28th 10:26PM
"Don't you know that you're toxic? Intoxicate me now... With your lovin' now... I think I'm ready now... I think I'm ready now... Intoxicate me now... With your lovin' now... I think I'm ready now..." My voice faded with those last few lyrics and Brian rolled one more haunting trip through the melody and let it fade... That fade didn't last to completion, because the audience in the theater lost their minds! The roar of applause and cheers were insane, absolutely insane! Their response was no less than intoxicating - fitting for the song I just finished singing. I leaned into the mic and said, "Thank you..." I'm certain no one heard me. I exited stage left...

Wyatt was the first person I saw backstage and he was grinning ear to ear, "I think you killed it kiddo...," he shouted over the applause still going on - while Leza Howell was trying to cue up Wyatt's introduction.

I couldn't wipe the smile from my face no matter how hard I tried, "I just warmed them up for you...," I kissed his cheek - careful not to leave any of the caked on red lipstick I was wearing behind.

"Congrats...," he squeezed my hands as his name was being announced by Leza Howell.

"Give 'um hell...," I said smiling and saw my guide back to the 'green' room nod at me to follow him. As we walked the backstage maze the crowd was going crazy behind us, then blew up as the first bars of 'Hotel California' floated through the theater full of energy, powerfully from the band. Wyatt could sing that song with made up words and they would still eat up his performance. Holy shit - what a rush!

Wednesday, March 28th 10:35PM
Once in the 'green' room I got plenty of compliments and one playful jab from Jenna. She said, "Well that was a mistake - letting your group decide whether to perform tonight..." She was all smiles and the hug she gave me was genuine. She whispered in my ear, "Congrats..., That was the winning song..." It gave me goose bumps and I thanked her twice for the love.

My moment was cut short, because Wyatt's performance was nothing short of amazing. His voice like silky country love'n, the band played better than any other song played tonight, he had silenced the 'green' room... I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the crowd wasn't brought to tears. That's how powerful his performance was...

"Oh, shit...," Dana said.

At first I was confused, but then saw it - a single light shinning in the audience, then another, and ten more... Then nearly half the audience had their flashlights on their phones going, raised high, swaying to the music... That, that was "the moment" of this entire show. This guy had just blown every other contestant out of the water - including me.

Wednesday, March 28th 10:48PM
When Wyatt entered the ‘green’ room after his performance he was literally mobbed. Compliments and congratulatory words flowed earnestly – someone, Katie I think, said he probably just won it all with his performance. I think he was trying to play it cool, but what he just experienced on stage I believe moved him. He probably was dreading going back to Nashville after that audience approval of his singing abilities… I was so happy for him. Totally deserving of the all the praise he was getting.

When he finally got a chance to speak a full sentence he said, “Did you hear the audience? That was insanely crazy…” Leza Howell showed up a few seconds after he made that statement and he repeated it when she asked him what he thought about his performance – a PBS camera in his face, another panning around to capture the reaction of the rest of us, and two microphone booms trying to capture every word.

Everyone was so intent on interacting with Wyatt that no one caught the beginning of Janet’s performance. By the time Leza Howell left the ‘green’ room everyone had calmed down enough to focus on Janet – who was really putting on a show with her wireless mic and using every inch of the stage to strut her stuff while performing the Shania Twain song ‘Man! I Feel Like a Woman’. During the guitar solo she was all over the guitarist, Gary, and that brought on roars from the audience and a few, “Wow…” comments from those watching backstage. She certainly knew how to work the audience and she knew how to work her body… Vocally she wasn’t as impressive as Michelle, but she had chops. Her song choice might have played a bit to the audience – calculated? Probably… I smiled to myself – good for her!

Making the finale, which would be just six of the twelve of us, was going to be tough. My honest assessment of the rankings, including Janet performing right now – I was probably on the bubble for making the cut. I would not want to be one of the judges. I was happy with my performance, though I wondered if maybe I should have worked my body a little more – used the stage, rather than hanging out at the microphone the entire performance. Hell, too late now to beat myself up with what-ifs. I think it is going to be too close to call because everyone was honestly so good…

Wednesday, March 28th 11:01 PM
We were called on stage as a group by Leza Howell and it was pure insanity the way the audience was reacting. Most of us clapped back or waved, a few of the contestants pointed at those they knew, blowing kisses, and such. I tried to scan the rows I could make out for my mom, Bill, Charles, and Kaley – but the bright lights flooding the stage made it tough to see past the first ten rows in the theater. There was balcony seating in the rear, but there was no way I could make out faces this far away. I hoped they were here and got caught up in the energy.

“Thank you! Thanks…,” Leza Howell waved at someone in the audience, “How about a round of applause for the band tonight,” she encouraged the crowd, while waving the band forward to take center stage. The applause was loud and appreciative, lasting a good thirty seconds before she could continue.

“Amazing job tonight, I really enjoyed the song choices and arrangements,” she said clapping as the audience settled down and the band retreated to their instruments at the rear of the stage. “We want you all to join us in the Cayman Lagoon banquet room right after we announce the finalists for tomorrow night’s finale. Just follow the signs outside the theater, we hope to see you all there.”

There was a brief round of applause she milked before continuing, “You’ll get to meet our amazing singers…,” the audience began clapping and cheering, “Yes…,” she waved a hand toward the twelve of us standing awkwardly on stage – everyone’s nerves were on edge wanting this portion of the show to be over with, “And there will be food and drink, so please join us…”

More applause rose loudly after the invite and I wondered how they could possibly be so loud and want to clap so vigorously. I shifted slightly and bumped Wyatt, who looked at me smiling and mouthed, ‘This is nuts…’ I nodded, ‘Yes’ in return with a nervous smile. Come on! Get on with this…

“Okay… Thank you! You are amazing! You are valid! And we are not going to be ignored or erased by anyone!” The audience went bat shit crazy, cheering, whistling, clapping – this was a gathering for the Transgender Day of Visibility and a mainstream casino like the Grand Cayman validating us, celebrating us, was huge! Leza Howell was really working the crowd, pumping up the audience like I hadn’t seen before at any of the LGBTQ events I’d ever attended. I could only imagine what tomorrow night’s sold out show would be like.

“So… Thank you… Yes… Alright,” the audience settled down after a few seconds, “Our five judges have crunched the numbers on the performances… And without drawing this out further, here are your finalists, in no particular order…,” a lite drum roll began behind us and I’m not sure how it started, but a few of use began holding hands and after a moment we were all holding hands with one another. “When I call your name, please step forward…”

I was hoping this wasn’t some American Idol thing where the people stepping forward formed one group and those behind were another. Then it was announced which group it was the ‘End of the Line’ for… If this was how they were going to do this I just wanted to be in Wyatt’s group – he was certainly in the finale. I could feel my stomach rolling, my chest tightening… Wait, she said she was announcing the finalist?

“Our first finalist, Michelle Barlow…”

Michelle brought her hands to her face, turned to hug me, then reached out to squeeze the hand of Wyatt, Janet, and a few others as the audience exploded again with their applause. She walked to center stage and clapped back at the rowdy crowd. I was so happy for her, she deserved to be in the finale…

When the applause died down Leza Howell continued, “Dana Warnick…” Again, the audience went nuts. He joined Michelle, they hugged, then clapped and waved to the audience. I wasn’t surprised Dana made it, he did as well as Michelle – not as good as Wyatt though… All I knew for certain is – they had better call Wyatt’s name, or something was really fucked up in the judge’s ability to recognize a talented…

“Wyatt Stiller…”

Yes! OMG! Wyatt and I hugged quickly, he kissed my cheek. “Congratulations Wyatt!” I tried yelling above the audience’s roar. He smiled and squeezed my hands and I think he said, “Thanks…,” just before he turned to join Michelle and Dana center stage. OMG! Way to go Wyatt! My heart was soaring as I watched him join the others center stage. OK, my faith in this competition has been validated… The judge’s choices so far were spot on.

Leza Howell flipped a note card over, looked back towards those waiting to hear who was next, “Carlie Brooks…” True to form – another rowdy cacophony of audience approval filled the theater. Carlie joined the group center stage, waving, and clapping back at the audience. She was likely the oldest of all the contestants – maybe in her early forties. Her vocal abilities were worthy of her making the finale, she took what she was doing very serious. That seriousness made her a pretty quiet person around the group and short of a couple standard greetings between us, I really hadn’t talked to her much. I liked that she was in the finale, she had a shot at winning if Wyatt stumbled at all.

With just two spots remaining it could be a toss-up between four of the eight of us waiting to hear our names. I wanted to make it, but not making it wasn’t going to crush me. Yeah, I would be disappointed if I…

“Breanna Calloway…”

It took a second for it to register, to really comprehend that my name had just been called. Janet pulled me to her and hugged me. I instinctively hugged her back not sure what I was doing. I could see the group of finalists’ at middle stage were clapping and waving at me to join them. I blindly walked towards them, still in shocked and wondering how I was going to handle this... That thought didn’t last but a moment, as Wyatt hugged me - lifting me off the stage. The other finalist tried congratulating me over the roar of the audience - my ears were numb. I tried to smile, but it took a second for it to all sink in – it did pretty fast and you couldn’t blast that smile from my face even if you tried.

I did as those announced before me had done, applauded the audience and waved. So many emotions were bombarding me… It was a rush, like nothing I had experienced performing before. To the core of my soul I was thankful to my mom and my friends. I hoped they knew how much I loved them. I hoped I was waving in their general direction. I couldn’t wait to see them! OMG! I’m in the finale! YES!

--------------------------------------------

Authors Note: Don't be afraid to "Like" this story if it's doing anything for you (you don't have to have an account to do so and there are no prizes for most likes). If there are problems or you have criticism you'd like to share publicly or via a message or email ([email protected]) - I'd love to address them if I can. I'm trying to grow as a story teller, I'm far from perfect, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks for reading...

up
179 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great Chapter

More action and drama than I expected. The fire alarm added an additional layer of uncertainty/confusion into the chapter; although, it seemed like in the end it might have helped the remaining contestants' performances. It was very scary once Breanna was in front of the hotel.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Hold on...

RachelMnM's picture

The drama train isn't pulling into the station any time soon. Next installment - something big is gonna hit. Stay tuned! Thanks CBee!

XOXO
Rachel

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

This has been a truly.....

D. Eden's picture

Captivating story, and I can’t wait to see what happens! Not to mention if Breanna ends up with Blake........

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Oh my...

RachelMnM's picture

D. Eden Thank you! I was going for entertaining, but I'm beyond thrilled to hear captivating. A few twists are coming that should keep you hooked - Blake might just be one of them. :-)

Hugs!!

XOXO
Rachel

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

What Nutters!

joannebarbarella's picture

First for protesting and activating a false fire alarm and then for being stupid enough to set off fireworks. It could easily have turned into a firefight.

However the upshot was to energise the remaining performers and our Breanna has made the finals. I'm looking forward to the next (and ensuing) chapters.

And this doesn't even...

RachelMnM's picture

Scratch the surface on the "Nutters!" out there or how far they would go in the name of their God's - who I'm sure are way more tolerant than some of the idiots out there. The reinvigorated audience made the difference for those contestants remaining and for Breanna... Let's see how she deals with actually being in the finale, how Tyler plays out, and Blake inserts himself (or not)... Plenty to come in the next couple chapters. I do have an end point hanging out there in my mind - we'll see how these next couple chapters play out. Nothing is ever as it appears and there's never a straight line when I'm trying to figure out the direction of the story and characters involved. You've likely noticed that with Breanna and Elizabeth from my last offering. :-) Thank you for following along and the input - very much appreciated!

BIG HUGS!

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

Not Sure Where That Came From...

...or how it figures in the story. Just seems bizarre, especially the firecrackers -- was someone in the protest group trying to create martyrs to the cause by hoping the police, in assuming someone there was using deadly force, would fire live ammo into the group? As noted, the background for that assumption was certainly there because of the mass shooting at the country music show in Vegas in 2017.

I suppose I'm being too literal: we were promised last time that we'd learn in this chapter whose side Tyler was on. But he didn't appear here and was only referenced once. Even if it turns out he was the one who pulled the alarm -- and he's certainly not the leading suspect, as compared to someone trying to disrupt the show and/or provoke a confrontation with the folks outside -- we still wouldn't know. Perhaps he'd have been intending to aid her by giving her throat another day to recover, on the assumption the final performers would be delayed to the next day. Or perhaps he'd have wanted to disconcert her and spoil her performance, figuring that it would happen that day.

Somehow, though, although the story had set up the potential for this, to me it really came out of left field. The protestors seemed to me to be part of the background, no more likely to figure in the action than a curtain falling down onstage.

Eric

Yup, blew that one...

RachelMnM's picture

I did say in a comment from the last chapter that Tyler would be outed (in regards to the story). My bad and I apologize for making that comment and not delivering. I'll try to watch what I say going forward. The reason Tyler was a one (barely) and done mention - too much was going on and this was a longer than usual chapter. He's likely in the next chapter to have his true colors shown. How much? Eh, not sure... (how's that for generic)

As for the protesters out front - I was conflicted about how to shine a light on their nuttiness - which if you've ever experienced these small groups of right wing Christian idiots protesting an LGBTQ event is really baffling in this day and age how they can be so callous, cruel, out of touch, etc . Just about anything they spew is so ridiculous it's tough to even describe what their motivations are with their actions and words. The firecrackers were non-lethal, but could have had a very bad outcome for them, even for the audience posting up to stand up to them. For the purposes of this story they no doubt knew what people were going to think... I'm sure the VPD and plenty of others in Vegas are still hypersensitive to anything, any action, that could bring on another 2017 tragedy.

Interesting you find no place in the story for the protesters, but in my thinking they were / are an antagonist which inflicted there hate on the event. Pivotal to the story? Nah, but in the end because of them, even with roughly half the original crowd, the show went on and everyone rallied to support the show - be they in the audience, the band, or the last four singers. The idea that someone who is Trans or LGBTQ or whatever is going to be erased - didn't happen and a lot of people's spirit made that happen. Could there have been a stage mishap that would have played better? I doubt it and if I'd gone that route - what would be the purpose of a protest anyway? Could have let them hit the editing room floor. I didn't and I used them to progress the story as stated above...

GREAT comments, I enjoy everyone's prospective. You made valid points and I will keep them in the forefront when I'm writing the next chapter. Thank You Eric!

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

Didn’t see THAT coming!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

But, the crazy was probably just what Brea needed to get out of her head — a nice, bad, external threat to put all of her insecurities on the back-burner. And, she hit her notes! Outstanding!

Emma

Wackos...

RachelMnM's picture

May have helped our girl!

Hugs

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...