The Unicorn's Gift - Part 7

Printer-friendly version

The thing you fear, and feel so near,
you try desperately to hide.
The light the dark they struggle
and you take it all inside

Then one day you realize,
that the story too long told,
no longer huddles near you,
lies imprinted on your soul.

The light and dark still struggle,
a fight of right and wrong.
But in it’s resolution
the place where you belong.

by
Sarah Lynn Morgan

The Unicorn's Gift
 
  The_Unicorn_s_Calm.png
Part Seven

     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 
 

     "Chew it, young one.” Aida said softly, to keep Syna awake enough to allow her to swallow the herbs that the Green-eyed fairy had placed in her mouth. “It is bitter, but it gives strength. Syna did not waken further, certainly not as much as when the fairies had helped her to a private spot earlier that morning. Even then, she had never been fully awake. “That’s good, child.” Aida cooed, as the Blue and brown-eyed fairy poured little sips of water into her mouth as well, allowing Syna to swallow the herbs more easily.

Carefully, the Green-eyed fairy then pulled out some very small leaves, and tearing them from their small stems, he placed these also between Syna’s lips, as he spoke.

“This is Sweet leaf, Child. It is not a medicinal herb, but it is sweet and pleasant to the taste. It will take the bitterness away, and soothe your stomach until the tala-seed berries, and the raven’s tail are gone. Your head will not hurt so in just a little while” He told her, as all the Aida watched on closely.

Aida’s eyes darkened only slightly, as she glanced behind the green-eyed fairy, to see that a group of lesser fairies were once more pulling at Syna’s vest. Several of them were tugging at the edges of it, as they worked their way around its hem. One of the little males looked briefly up at her and smiled, before turning quickly back to his task.

Lesser fairies were silly creatures, she thought; but, she needed them to care properly for Syna, and she was grateful for their enthusiasm in that at least. It was they after all, who had covered her in grasses and leaves to make sure she stayed warm, and it was they who had helped them steady her, as Syna was forced to move about every day or so. In between, however, like now, they were little more than a nuisance as they busied themselves with a contribution of their own. Green-eyes refused to look at them at all.

Aida looked back at Syna, who having swallowed the last of the sweet leaf, was rapidly slipping back into a deep sleep. Carefully, she moved over to brush a stray blade of grass, away from her hair, as she watched as Green-eyes again sat himself beside Syna’s cheek, and began to sing softly the lore once more, just as he and the others had done throughout the night before.

Aida had sung to Syna too. Not the learning songs, but rather simple and happy songs, to ease those hours when Syna had slept so deeply; their only real purpose, to assure Syna that she was not alone, and should rest with an easy heart. The little Copper-eyed Aida had only sung a little, though. She was too tired to do much more. She had spent most of the night resting on the warmth of Syna’s slowly rising and falling chest. Connected as she was to Syna, she too felt the sleep of the ancient’s through the child. The other fairies understood this also, and would sometimes bring a little morsel as they cared for her as well.

Through it all, the fairies were most watchful. The child was doing well, and they were determined to care for her as one of their own, which in fact, is what she was.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          Jada felt wretched He had searched several hours past the deadline he had set for himself, which meant that he had covered most of the valley floor on this side of the road. Others had searched lower down, and into the woods along the path that lead over the hill, which his mind told him now was the most likely route that Syna had taken. It was strange thought. Somehow, his heart felt that this was the right direction. He just knew it.

It forced his eyes up, to the steep sides of the cliffs that ringed the upper valley. He could see two or perhaps three places in the miles of steep hills that might be climbed.

Unfortunately, Mr. Balderdash seemed to have a different opinion. After two days of searching, he was finally showing some irritability from fatigue. It was obvious to Jada, that the big fellow simply did not want to go further, and would need some rest, if he were to leave tomorrow morning as he had planned. As it was, there was no way he would be able to push the animal for a swift passage, as he had originally planned. He owed the beast too much, having been his companion on so many journeys; he could not risk his health more that the very needs must be.

He had to leave! Jada thumped the palm of his hand on the front of the saddle much harder than he should have, causing his friend to neigh softly in surprise, and to look back to check his rider. The warrant that he carried for the sheriff in the next county was to be delivered on a specific date, two days hence. If he were to make it on time, he had to start in the morning, and even then, it would be a hard ride for poor Mr. Balderdash, especially, if he were to return back to this valley just as quickly as he may, which he still fully intended. .

Jada looked about the clearing where the horse had stopped. Directly ahead, there were at least two more game trails that Jada could see. The temptation was strong, but the sun hanging just above the hills on the southern end of the valley was more demanding still.
Sadly, he told himself, that it was impossible that the boy could have come so far, and left no sign. The simple fact that Jada had to admit was, that if by some miracle he had done so, Jada wasn’t very likely to find a trace of him now. Thus, with a gentle tug on the reins, the horse once again turned for the lower end of the valley.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          The Blue-eyed fairy sat high in the tree beside a golden-eyed fairy. Both stared intently down into the valley, where they were watching a loan rider as he made his way back down toward the village. They watched, as he reined in the horse and slipped off his back to lead him down a trail. Around them, several other lesser fairies sat, their dark eyes turning alternately from the big person they had found, to the greater fairies they had summoned to see this intruder.

“Is he the same one?” Blue-eyes asked without looking away.

The golden-eyed fairy simply nodded, without taking her eyes off of the rider either.

“That’s the farthest any of the big folk have come up the valley.” Blue-Eyes said, while watching the man’s back.

The golden-eyed fairy nodded again, and watched a little more in silence. Then, she turned and spoke quickly to the smaller fairies. “You stay here. Don’t be afraid. That big one means no harm. He is just looking for the human child. Just watch, and let us know if he comes back.” All around the little fairies nodded their heads vigorously, their black eyes shining brightly in the failing sunlight.

Turning back once more, Golden eyes spoke more softly. “This one has been persistent. If he comes back, then we will have to move Asho and the girl into the next valley.”

Blue eyes simply nodded, knowing that such a contact might make the girl sleep for months. This would be dangerous not only for the girl, but for the fairies. It would be harder on her loved ones as well. His fresh regret, at not being able to tell her father, was immediately answered in Golden-eyes name scent. She felt it too, and knew what he was thinking.

At least they had a means to move her more safely, if he had the time, and if need be. He would send more little ones into the next valley to look for Bayford, and to make sure it would be safe for Asho.

Golden-eyes spoke again. “I will tell The Ancient One, that all is well, and that the little ones are watching. If they return in the morning, we will have plenty of time to take the pass.”

Blue eyes nodded again. The golden-eyed fairy was the eldest amongst the fairies who tended the ancient. She was wise, with much experience dealing with the humans, so it did not surprise her that the big folk would be searching so hard for the child. She was also sure that the horse that had born the rider had shied away from coming higher into the valley, as well he should. Had he come but a little farther, the human might have felt it too. That too might be dangerous with things as curious as humans. Unfortunately, the child would not be ready to leave for some time, so they would just have to do whatever was necessary to protect both their charges.

“You little ones stay here and watch,” she ordered, to once more have the little fairies nod their heads with great enthusiasm. Then clutching the hem of Blue eyes skirt she spoke to him

“We must go.”

With that, she leapt off of the branch, and raced up the valley. Behind her blue eyes looked back to where the rider had disappeared into the trees further down, and quickly followed suit.

Behind him, a dozen of the lesser fairies flew off in the opposite direction, to where the rider had been. There, with a combination of plant fronds, and the down drafts from their wings, they began to brush away all of the traces the man had left in the ground…, Just as they always did when the humans got too close to their end of the valley...

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          Calum stepped back into the common room, where Dara was waiting on the handful of customers who had stopped at the inn for an afternoon meal. She was watching Calum, though, who had gone out to the yard in front of the inn to help deal with some rider’s horse. This job had fallen to him, because had sent the grooms up to Bryan’s cabin to check, as he had done every morning for the last five days.

Something in Calum’s face as he entered made Dara Stop, and watch him as he made his way over to the counter where she was standing.

“Where is Keely?” he asked.

“She wasn’t feeling well, so I sent her to lie down.” Dara told him, not needing to explain further. Keely had taken Syna’s disappearance very badly; much worse than Calum had expected. Dara seemed to feel this was not as much of a surprise, but would not say much about her reasons why. She spoke only after seeing Calum hesitate. “What is it, Cal?” She almost whispered.

Calum sighed before lifting his eyes to look at his wife’s face. “That was the man who passed through here a week ago. He met Bryan over in ashford, and told him that Syna had not come home. He also brought back word that Bryan had found no trace of him either. He said that Bryan should be back here in a few days. He is going to check the village of Deleing, along the east west road, but then he expected to head for home any time.” Calum wanted to hold his wife, and to sooth the look in her eyes, but he did not want to draw any attention to their conversation. “I offered the man a free night, for his kindness, but he turned it down in favor of a meal.”

“It’s just like last time, Cal.” She said very softly. “Gone and not a single tract to explain it.”

Calum just nodded, as he quickly reached out to hold Dara’s hand, and to squeeze it before he headed out to the back for more firewood. There would be time for talking later, after the locals who would come in the evening to find out if there were any news had been disappointed, and gone home after a drink or two. He was sure he still would not have anything more to say to his wife even then, or at least anything that would make the circumstances seem any better.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          A soft moan escaped Syna’s lips, as she again began to move about in her sleep. Aida’s eyes were dark with worry, as she once more struggled to help lay the cloth over the child’s eyes. The fairy did not look well. Green-Eyes helped too, but it was of little use, as Syna quickly threw the cloth off and began to moan once more.

The Golden-eyed fairy seemed to make up her mind. It had been long enough. Although it was difficult to say if the child were in any real danger, it was quite clear that something was wrong. With a purpose, she rose from the top of the boulder, beside which Syna lay, and then flew further up into the hills.

Two more hours had passed, before she returned. It was an hour after that, when the woman stepped silently into the glade opposite where Syna lay. The path was now treacherous, and even they had to have care and move slowly.

Moving closer, she knelt to peer at the moaning child. The look on her face was one of concern, mixed with some inner struggle, as if she seemed to fight to recognize the young woman who lay on the ground, her hair, and features so like her own.

Slowly, the woman reached out, and placed a warm hand on the child’s forehead, causing her to quickly go limp, even as she continued to moan more softly. After a while, the woman began to sing in a voice as soft as her touch, a lullaby from her childhood. Her voice was soft but beautiful, as her instincts lead her to sooth the child as much with her voice, as with the gentle caresses she gave about her head and her face.

Syna had ceased to moan and thrash about, and now lay quite still, as the woman continued to ease the child. Aida also, lay once more on the girl’s chest, and stared with fascination at the woman she could see plainly in the darkness. She could feel Syna’s heart slow to a more normal steady beat, even as her mind flashed with images of a child, pressing his small face into his mother’s clothes to inhale her smell, while she sang him to sleep. Even so amazed, Aida could feel the sleep of exhaustion overtaking her once more after long hours of tension that had emanated from Syna.

The woman stayed well into the quiet hours of the night, holding the girl’s head and occasionally talking softly to her. All too soon, though, she lifted her eyes from the child who lay beside her, and stared off into the hills for several moments. Quietly she leaned down, and pressed her lips to the girl’s forehead, holding her, and stroking her hair. When she rose again, she left only two tears on the forehead of the quietly sleeping child.

The handmaiden did not hesitate, however, to do that which surely must be done. With a pained glance at all of the fairies, large and small who attended the girl, a glance which spoke so eloquently of her plea that they show her only the kindest care, she tuned back into the forest.

Every fairy present had felt the prayer in the woman’s eyes, to care for the child well. They had assured that they would, even as they began to once more cover the peacefully sleeping child, to keep her warm as the cool dawn approached.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          Gazing out her window, Keely watched her father’s back as he bent to pick up another armful of wood. Unable to sleep as her mother suggested, she had retreated to the seat under her window, to stare at what, she could not say.

For the first few days, she had begged her mother to be able to join the search parties, but had been denied. Not only had her parents needed her here, as they had searched themselves, or helped to organize the searchers; but also, the fear in their eyes had told her that her requests had been in vain. She had tried to do their bidding, to help as much as she could; but now that the activity had waned, she had too much time to think.

A dull pain in her belly had replaced the tears that had burned her sore eyes for days. Keely was helpless to describe it, even when her mother had tried to talk to her. She felt that so much of what she was feeling lay at a level so much deeper than words; which she could not even begin to understand herself. All she knew was that the grief would remain until her friend came back. Her whole life, Syna had been near, a presence since her early childhood. There were times that she had looked upon his presence with annoyance, it was true, but mostly they had been comfortable with their companionship. For years, they had gotten along without the fights or arguments that other children seemed to have. She missed him.

What was worse, was the sense of confusion she now felt.

Why was it then, that with all their many years of friendship, when she thought of Syna now it was of the image of a beautiful strawberry blond girl with a big green bow in her hair? Why was it, that with all their years together, the thing that was most often in her mind was the faint scent of flowers that had smelled so lovely when she had helped him change? Why was it that their last act of friendship, when she had helped him replace the green bow on the top of his head, was the one image that she could not let go?

Keely did not know why. What she did know, was that the terrible sense of emptiness that was making it so hard for her to breathe, felt as if it would never fully be healed.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     The sky was a deep clear blue that magically filled in all the spaces between the leaves, even as they swayed in the gentle breezes. It was a blue so deep and clear, so perfect and unbroken, that staring at it for longer than a few moments caused the very ground itself to spin. The leaves, although still in the full green of summer, held the slight dullness of color that seems to suggest a fatigue, and which one can sometimes detect before the leaves begin to change.

She lay there for a long time, as little by little the sights and sounds of the forest began to take their proper places in her consciousness. Even so, it was some time before she began to try to move her limbs tentatively, which of course made her have to close her eyes to stop the spinning yet again.

“Syna?” she heard a little voice say, which caused her eyelids to flutter open almost half way. Looking down at her were two pairs of little eyes. One was the blue of the sky itself, which she seemed to remember. The second, slightly larger, were a bright golden color that she had never seen before.

“I am Aida.” the Golden-eyed fairy said, as if that should explain everything. “Drink.” She said softly, as Blue-eyes moved closer and began to trickle water into Syna’s mouth. She was not particularly thirsty, but the draught that he poured seemed to help the spinning.

“You know of this,” Golden eyes said, “it will make all things lie still for you again, and ease your stomach when you try to move.”

Syna simply nodded at the obvious - which she obviously should not have done. She lay more still as the blue-eyed fairy finished, and several of the little fairies quickly took his place with clear cool water.

It was some time before she opened her eyes again, but as soon as did so, she realized that she must have fallen asleep again, because the sun had moved noticeably in the skies, which where now veiled with thin lacy clouds. Very tentatively, she began to lift her head, which caused her head to spin a little, but it was nowhere near as bad as it had been before. Eventually, she was able to push herself up far enough to lean against the warm side of the rock.

As she rested, Aida came streaking back to hover just before her nose. “You are awake!” Aida said to her, as she quickly moved in to press her nose lightly against Syna’s, before backing away to look at her.

“Can you stand?” Aida asked quickly, causing Syna to laugh and groan at the same time, in response to the little creature’s enthusiasm. She was not at all quite sure if she could or no.

Syna noted that Aida was dripping wet, clothes and all, as she hovered before her face. With a merry giggle, Aida gave a violent shake, which threw droplets of water all over Syna, who recoiled and giggled right back, even if it was a little weakly.

As her eyes cleared further, or perhaps it was her head, she could see that the nearby bushes were filling up with little fairies of all descriptions. At least as many as when she had seen the Unicorn…

The Unicorn! Had that been real, she asked herself? It must have been a dream, but it was even harder for her to believe that it was never real... After all, she was sitting here surrounded by little fairies, their black eyes twinkling in the sun, punctuated here and there by a splash of color as they all silently smiled at her. Why then, not a unicorn? It all seemed so strange. She closed her eyes then, as she felt the spinning threatening.

Then, Blue-eyes, and the other fairy she vaguely remembered, the one with the golden eyes, came in amidst a group of the smaller fairies, who were bringing a small cup to Syna’s hand. The cup was quickly filled by a train of lesser fairies, who each carried a smaller vessel of water, which nevertheless still looked far too big for them.

“Drink.” Aida said brightly, causing Syna to lift the cup to her lips. The water was cool and sweet, and she quickly drained the cup.

“Can you stand?” the blue eyed fairy asked, as he drifted closer to Syna, before resting himself on a small crease in the surface of the boulder.

Syna nodded, and began to lift herself slowly, while she leaned heavily on the boulder, Quicker than she expected, she found herself standing upright, which felt wonderful to the muscles in her back and legs, even if they protested a little.

Looking about her, the fairies seemed very pleased with this, as many of the lesser fairies began to zoom about her head until the golden eyed fairy sent them all back to the branches with a clap of her small hands. This gave Syna the chance to look about her.

It was important that they should all keep their distance, for even though Syna was now as resistant as ever she would be, the press of so many would surely make her dizzy.

“Where am I?” She asked the little copper eyed fairy, who unlike all the rest, had settled on her shoulder as she stood.

“You are in the glade where you slept.” Don’t you remember? Aida looked at her with great concern.

“Yes.” Syna said a little weakly. She continued to look about her at everything that seemed so familiar, and yet subtly different. “I fell asleep.” She said, more as a statement of fact, than a question.

“The sleep of the Ancients.” Someone said from nearby, causing Syna to turn and see the green-eyed fairy sitting atop of the boulder, and smiling brightly at her.

‘The Sleep of the Ancients.” Syna thought, as the phrase registered. Of course. If one of mortal parents were to come into contact with one of the older races, the human would quickly find himself fast asleep. If the unicorn were frightened or angry, the human would fall almost instantly unconscious, and awaken with very few of his memories intact. Prolonged contact under such circumstances could leave a human mind so dissembled, that what was left might not even be able to care for itself. That had indeed happened a few times in the past. She remembered it well in the learning songs.

She also remembered that she had wrapped herself about the Unicorn’s neck, as he dragged her away from the edge.

“How long have I slept?” Syna asked.

For a few moments, the greater fairies looked at each other, while the lesser fairies just sat there grinning at her, perfectly happy to ignore the conversation in favor of watching Syna’s every move.

Her Aida, moved to the rock, and taking a small vessel of water, quickly began to make tally marks just as any human would do, slashing them off as each group of five were reached.

“Fifteen days.” The golden-eyed fairy said calmly, causing Syna’s head to snap about to look at her.

“Fifteen!” Syna’s mouth continued to move after that, but no further sound came out.

“Yes.” Golden eyes said, “But please, do not fret. Be at peace, child. The sleep you slept was not of your making, but the result of doing a very great and brave thing. All of fairy kind will sing of the day you saved Asho from his trap, even though it might have willingly cost of you your life.” Golden eyes smiled at her.

“He has given you a gift in gratitude that will ease your heart, and has promised to do even more ere the solstice, to gladden further thy small but brave heart! So be at peace child.” She continued to smile at the girl.

Suddenly, she found that Green eyes had pressed a small bundle of herbs in her hand, and looking down at them; saw Tattle-weed and Eero-bark mixed roughly three with one in a small bundle. Absently, she nodded, and placing it in her mouth, she began to crush it between her teeth to suck the juices that mixed with her own saliva. When the taste began to abate, she quickly slipped the remains into her hand, and tossed it away as discretely and neatly as possible.

Feeling the strength return, and her head clear even more, told her that she needed to find food, knowing that the juices from such an amount would last only a few hours at best. However, that was not her most pressing thought.

“My father, Aida!” She said, looking directly at the golden-eyed fairy who was so obviously in charge, and who Syna could see was slightly larger than all the other greater fairies, right down to Blue Eyes, who seemed to be the smallest of all.

Golden eyes nodded, and seemed to understand. “The big folk have been searching for you. Long have they looked about the valley, and where else we do not know.” She said somberly. “Many of us longed to give word that you were well, but…” She just ended with a shrug.

“I understand.” Syna said, “You had to protect the Ancient one.” She finished sadly. “But even though I understand, my father must have suffered so.”

“We understand this, also.” Green eyes broke in, “but it was more than protecting Asho.” Green eyes paused. “We could not allow them to take you while you slept. You needed the herbs and roots we gave you, and could not allow them to take you away before you were ready. Your mind was too open. Our lord and our hearts bade us to care for you before all other concerns. This we did.”

Syna blinked here eyes a few times and then nodded that she did indeed understand. “Thank you. Thank you all.” She said sincerely, looking first at the greater fairies, and then at the lesser fairies, which caused them to begin to flit about in great happiness. She soon turned back to Golden Eyes. “I have to go home.”

“We know this, young one.” The fairy said. “Fear not, for you will sleep with your own people this very night, but first you must care for yourself. Long have you lain, and young though you are you are so much larger than we.” She was smiling at Syna now.

“Are you hungry?” Aida, her Aida, asked brightly.

Syna nodded her head, smiling at her small friend.

“Follow!” She said, and began to fly slowly down the path, while occasionally alighting on a branch to await Syna’s slow progress.

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          Syna made her way down to the first clearing, and then to the pool where she found several of the smaller fairies tending another large trout that lay over a small fire. Somehow, she understood that here at the top of the valley, with the wind from the north, the scent of the fire would be blown up the face of the cliff, and high into the air. Then the lesser fairies would work to remove all traces, as soon as they were done. These thoughts were fleeting, however, as he scent made her mouth water, and her thoughts were interrupted by Aida’s copper eyes as they hovered just before her nose.

“Do you swim?” She asked the girl.

Syna nodded, and looking at the water, decided that a bath might not be a bad idea, although she obviously felt much cleaner than she had any right to be, she thought that the water would sooth the cramps in her muscles from the walk down the hill.

Purposefully, she turned her back to the food, which she desired but did not yet crave, and moved to some bushes where she began to remove her vest.

To her surprise, many of the other fairies were doing the same. She was a little surprised to see that the fairies were watching her intently, even as she continued to disrobe. She could also see, which caused her to blush slightly, that the pretty little green-eyed fairy who knew the most of healing lore, was indeed a boy. How odd, she thought, since he was probably the most beautiful of the fairies - except perhaps for her own Aida. Syna smiled at the thought because, well, he was very beautiful, but it was impossible to decide that one was more pretty than the other

It also surprised her, that no sooner did she lay the vest on the bush, than a flight of the lesser faeries grabbed it, and began to fly across to the rocks above falls.

“Hey!” Syna called out, before Golden eyes spoke to her.

“Fear not little one.” Golden eyes said. “We bathed you, but were unable to clean your clothes properly, because we did not want you to be without them. They will wash them for you while you swim, and have them back to you quickly enough.” She finished, placing her own clothes on another branch, which a lesser fairy took also, and then zoomed out over the pool before folding her wings and arms, and allowing herself to fall into the water.

Looking back, Syna found that Aida was also naked, but unlike Golden eyes she was still sitting with her legs pulled up to her chest. She stared intently at Syna. It was the look that once more gave her the queerest feeling in the pit of her stomach, even as she could see a little blush rise up on Aida’s own cheeks. Fairies blushed. Who knew such things? She smiled to herself

Once she finished removing her clothes, Syna stepped into the water, happily to find out that it was just cool enough to be refreshing, having been warmed by the sun as it fell across the face of the high rocks in a series of little pools and falls. Slowly she eased herself out into the water, and gratefully slipped beneath the surface.

When she came up for air, she rested there for a moment to watch the fairies, who were having a fine time swimming with her. She reminded herself not to make any large splash, and then decided that that might not be necessary as the green-eyed fairy dove into the water at great speed just before her nose. Laughing a little she searched about for the closest fairy, who happened to be Aida.

“Aren’t you afraid of the fish?” Syna Asked, which caused all of the little fairies to laugh very merrily indeed.

“No.” Aida responded simply. “We have been fishing for your breakfast, and even if we had not, with so many here the grumpy old fish are hiding at the bottom of the far side. The little ones play with the smaller fishes." Aida leaned her head back in the water to smooth her hair, just as any girl might. "They won’t come near while so many are here. We can feel if they are too near.” She grinned, and dipped beneath the surface.

Syna too grinned, as she fully understood why the fish would be hiding; and she once more slipped gratefully beneath the surface to glide along in the cool comfort of the water. Her body felt odd as the water flowed about her. She seemed to be able to maintain her depth effortlessly, even thought she had always sunk before. The thoughts subsided, though. She simply reveled in the water flowing smoothly over her body and around her legs.

A short time later, the little fairies began to bring little wooden vessels that they began to pour on her hair and body, and Syna began to wash herself head to toe, much to the continuing amusement of her little friends. Several actually tried to help, but she gently shooed them back, assuring them that she no longer needed their help.

She was one of the few who did not notice, however, how the greater fairies watched. With her eyes closed, she couldn't know that the little frowns that reached her features as her hands slid over her body where mirrored in the faces of the greater fairies as they watched.

“When will she remember?” Blue Eyes asked Green-eyes in a whisper beyond Syna’s hearing.

“Careful.” Green-eyes turned to lean closer. “Some parts of her mind are still asleep. we must be careful what we say that might touch her mind.”

“When will she know?” Blue-eyes asked just as quietly.

Green-eyes just shrugged, and turned to watch the girl.

Finally, her balance returning little by little, she slid even more effortlessly beneath the rippled surface, her muscles feeling free and strong as she swam beneath the surface to rinse herself off. Regretfully, in time, she drifted up to the surface, and began to glide gracefully into the shore.

Wading to the edge, she stood and walked over the bank where here clothes were drying in the sun. They were still damp, of course, but were drying very quickly under the wings of the fairies who were taking turns there with the little faeries turning them occasionally to keep them well warmed by the sun. She could also see that beside them was her ribbon, which she had not been wearing when she came down the hillside. Somehow, the clothes looked smooth, and as bright as if they were newly made.

At that moment, one of the little fairies zipped in and handed her a cloth that was ridiculously small for the intended purpose, only to be followed by several more on rapid succession. Syna would have laughed as she looked down at the little cloths, which were not larger than a small handkerchief, but the last little fairy hovered for a moment before her nose, and with its black eyes grinning brightly said very clearly “Ayanne!”

Syna was stunned, and did not know what to say; even if she had gotten the chance, which she did not, because the little thing darted away at blinding speed She did not even know that the little ones could speak, but they clearly could!

Looking about she could see a still naked Aida sitting nearby, watching her dry herself.

“You are still very beautiful, Syna.” Aida said, only to have the thought chorused by several other fairies who were busy nearby.

“Thank you, Aida.” Syna said blushing, and wishing that her clothes would dry quickly. “You are very beautiful too! You all are. You too, Green Eyes.” which caused all the little fairies to beam at her in the pleasure of her complement. “Is that what ‘Ayanne’ means?” She finished.

At this the little fairies laughed long and loudly, before Aida shook her head. “Only partly. It is the name Asho called you, and the little fairies call you that now too. They think you need a new name, even though you already had two, they have decided that one is most befitting a fairy friend who is so beautiful.”

Curious, Syna had to ask. “I’ve never heard of that name before. What does it mean, Aida?”

Aida flew over, and hovering before her nose, said “Beautiful Flower.” Then smiling, flew back to begin dressing. “It comes from the lands down south. It is the name of a beautiful flower that grows along the edges of a wetland, just like here where we found you. Unlike many flowers, it smells as pretty as it looks. It was also the name of a beautiful princess of your kind, from very long ago. So, Asho calls you that now.”

“Oh!” Syna thought, even though something was bothering her about this name thing. Then frowning, Syna asked, “Why does he think I need a new name?”

Most of the fairies stopped and stared at her for a long time. Then the golden-eyed fairy spoke very clearly and very slowly from quite nearby. “The food is ready.”

Sitting on the cloths, in the sunny grass, Syna pulled her legs up to her, as the faeries brought her food. She smiled and thanked each little one, laughing as the beamed. Not only was there the fish, but there were vegetables as well. If possible, it all tasted better than the portion before, and she and all the fairies sat about eating until almost all of it was gone. It made Syna feel wonderfully refreshed, although it was very unlike her to eat so much. She realized that her body, although she had not been starved by any stretch, craved the more solid nourishment.

Finally finished, they sat about talking and joking, or just laughing at the antics of the little fairies, who were now chasing a dragonfly about the margin of the pond. Soon enough, Syna felt the weight of the meal move from her belly to her eyelids.

“Why don’t you lie down and rest a while?” Green eyes asked.

“Oh no!” Syna exclaimed smiling, and immediately stood up to walk to the pool once more to wash her hands and face. Several of the fairies brought her some twigs, which after looking at them for a moment, she quickly chewed the ends before she used them to clean her teeth while looking at her reflection in the pool.

‘How beautiful’, she thought, as she gazed at her reflection, which shocked her at first. Looking more closely, she could see that her hair was fuller, and her face a little thinner. The skin on her shoulders and arms and breasts were beautifully smooth and pleasingly unblemished. She was very, very, pretty; even she had to admit it. Strange though, she’d never really noticed before.

Syna then felt an oddness creeping over her as she lowered her hand, and stared at her reflection. Something… Nothing was wrong. How could it be? After all none of the other girls in the village were as pretty, and as…

“…By the holy rites!”

The green and golden-eyed fairies were right in front of her now, having appeared so quickly the start forced her to look away from her reflection to them.

“Syna?” Aida said in a queer voice, but the girl cold only stare at them as her consciousness seemed to teeter between passing out, and confusion.

“Child.” Golden Eyes spoke. “All is quite well. Do not be afraid… We are here with you, and we will allow no harm to come to you…”

The little fairy continued to utter soothing words quietly to the child, even as her Aida closed to her face radiating assurance. Syna just nodded at them that she understood, and sighed as she felt her body and mind relax, which of course stopped their soothing assurances… They were too busy trying to catch her as she fainted back onto the grass…

 

Paragraph_zip.png

 

          The warmth of the midday sun had eased her sore muscles as much as the cool water had, so that when Syna began to stretch instinctively, she only felt wonderful.

Smiling Syna arose, and walked to the bushes, where her clothes where now quite dry. Carefully she began to dress herself When she got to her vest, she was surprised to see that instead of being plain as it had been, it now had a little border of beautifully embroidered flowers, no two alike, that ran along the edges of the front and bottom. Looking closely, she could but marvel at the workmanship, as being only possible with the small clever hands of the fairies. At the left breast, there was a single, much larger flower in white with a pink heart, which looked real enough that one could almost reach out to pick it.

Looking up, she could see a hundred pair of shining black eyes beaming at her.

“Did you little ones do this for me?” She asked them, causing almost all of them to grin at her, and to bob their heads.

“Thank you!” she said in awe, which once more caused the little dark-eyed lesser fairies to zoom about in glee. “I’ve never seen anything so pretty.”

“Yes you have.” Her Aida said coyly. “We saw you looking at your reflection!” With that, Aida too zoomed into the air.

Syna had to smile, since she did not know what to say to that, even if she felt like trying! Of course she had looked at herself to wash her face and clean her teeth.

Putting on the vest, she smoothed its familiar closeness, that seemed to have returned after the meal, and looked up just in time to see Aida return with the green ribbon. Mistakenly reaching for it, she was surprised to find that instead, Aida told her to sit still, as she and several other fairies flew behind her head, and began to brush out her hair, in preparation of placing the bow there once more.

It only took a very little while, before Aida pronounced “There,” as she flew back in front of her to stare openly at Syna while smiling and clapping her hands. “You are too beautiful to be a big folk, Syna.” She said joyfully. “I think you are a fairy too,” and with that zoomed over to Syna, to touch noses briefly.

“Thank you, Aida!” Syna said, feeling her blush rising over her breasts to her face.
Then absently, she reached up to slightly loosen the laces at the collar of her blouse, and once more smooth the clothes about her, before reaching up lastly to touch the bow on the top of her head. “You did a wonderful job on my clothes. I thank you for that as well.” This, of course, caused the little fairies to beam happily at her all over again.

The truth was, they had done a wonderful job. Her clothes looked better than new, with any little blemishes from her run repaired by their clever little hands. What was more, her skin and hair simply glowed. She felt as if she should say more, but was stopped as she looked up to see the golden eyed fairy leading a beautiful tan horse into the little clearing at the edge of the pool.

It took a moment to recognize the beast, because it looked so much different than it had the last time she had seen it almost a year before. Where before it had been a decrepit animal, lame and with every rib visible, it now shown beautifully and as fine as any horse she’d ever seen. The animal was none other than the gentle packhorse that Bram had owned until it had run away from the front of the Inn last year. Looking closely, Syna could just barely see that the animal still bore the marks of a knotted rope on its flanks

She remembered it so well, because she and the stable boy had seen the animal tied at the front of the inn, and had always brought it sweet grains, and Dara herself had provided apples for the poor beast. Even then, the animal had shied away from the offerings it needed so badly, because it was so mistrustful of people.

There had been quite a row, as Syna remembered. The cousins had demanded that Calum pay them three times what the poor animal had been worth, even though everyone knew that the animal had run away due solely to their meanness. The argument had ended quickly enough when Calum had thrown Bram and Braun into the trough in front of the inn. Well Bram, at least. Braun had missed the trough, landing on his face in the dirt… Well, not the dirt exactly; that was where the horses stood to drink, after all…

Golden eyes leapt off of the horse’s head, where she had been sitting between his ears, and flew close to Syna. “He has agreed to take you home, Syna, but you must promise to let him return here to us, and not try to keep him.”

“Of course!” Syna agreed readily. “He looks as if you’ve cared for him wonderfully!”
Syna told her.

“He cares for himself.” Golden eyes said plainly, “But he has a good heart, and is always willing to help us when we have need of him. He is very strong, and can move the largest burdens.” She finished by drifting over and stroking the animal’s forelock.

“Bayford?” Syna called the horse by name, causing him to look more sharply at her, from across the clearing. His reluctance to move closer to any human was understandable, so Syna simply stood with her hand out.

More quickly than she would have believed possible, the once wretched animal took several steps forward, clearly sniffing the air. Then with a soft neigh, stepped all the way up to Syna, and ignoring her waiting hand, pressed his soft muzzle to her cheek before pausing for her to stroke his head and neck.

“Hi there, Bayford.” Syna said pleased by the warmth of his greeting. “You look wonderful, and I’m so happy for you. Have no fear. I promise that if you’ll take me home, you may go wherever you wish thereafter. I would like to give you some sweet grains though, if you will!” She said, as the animal pressed his muzzle to her hand, and then stepped a little way off to drink from the pool before browsing about the edge of the little clearing for the sweet grasses that grew there.

Turning back, Syna said to the little fairies “I’m sorry I have to go. You’ve all been so good to me.” She paused for a moment as a thought entered her head. “Very good to me. I don’t really know what to say, except for that I’ll miss you all.” She ended softly.

Aida came forward. “No, you won’t.” She said, with much less sadness than Syna had spoken. “You are a fairy friend, and may see us any time you like. You will see us often enough, and me most of all, I promise you!”

Syna felt warm inside, as she realized this was probably true. At the speed the fairies could fly, they were probably able to fly to the village in less than a half a turn of the glass.

“You should go to your father now.” Blue eyes said. “He was in the fields below your home this morning.” He informed her. “We are very sorry he was so sad, but we are sure his heart will mend, when his eyes behold you again... He is a ‘good man,’” the fairy said with great import, as he mimicked a phrase that Golden-eyes had taught him.

“I know,” Syna said, Feeling an overwhelming desire to be on her way home.

“Here.” The green eyed-fairy said “placing a small bundle of herbs, and some morsels of food that had been wrapped in clean leaves from the very tops of the trees. “This will ease the journey. He said this, even as he flew forward to press some herbs into the horse’s muzzle, who accepted them gratefully.

“I won’t be able to eat again for days!” Syna said rubbing her tummy.

“You will.” Green eyes said, and then continued. “But the bundle contains herbs you may need that do not grow lower down in the valley. We will find some closer to your home, but there should be more than enough here should you need them sooner. You will know what they are for.” The fairy smiled at her knowingly, but Syna still felt compelled to simply nod and thank the fairy, even though she did not really understand.

Looking at the sun, her Aida said, “We should go. I will follow you to your home.”

Syna then nodded to them all, and taking herself over to the horse, where she paused in shock as the amazing animal lowered himself to his knees to allow her to easily mount him. She had never seen a horse do such a thing. Once seated, and having arranged her skirt, the animal carefully rose, and began a very gentle, and immediately set a steady pace up the hill. So carefully did he bear her, had it not been a habit to reach out for his long main, Syna could have quite comfortable sat the horse without holding on at all. For a short way the fairies followed them, until a word from Golden-eyes sent them all on their way - except for Aida, who rested herself on the horse’s head where she could watch Syna.

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     Bryan could only see the work ahead of him; therefore he did not see when Syna slipped off of Bedford’s back at the edge of the forest above his cabin, and walk into the yard. Had it not been for the need to get ready for the harvest he might not have been working at all. Since he was, he never raised his head.

Syna looked over the fields into the valley where Aida had told her father was working. She could barely see him, and would not have at all, had Aida not told her exactly where to look.

Her first instinct was to run to him, but nature itself intervened. Patting the animal on the rump, he gratefully began to trot back up the path into the forest, leaving Syna to move into the bushes, to find a private place.

It felt strange, but the relief after the long ride down the valley was palpable.

Moving into the yard, she decided to stop at the cabin, to collect a meal for her father.
The cabin was not as neat as she had left it, but neither was it a mess. Moving over by the fire, she could see a pot of stew. Gingerly taking a spoon, she took a little taste that caused her nose to wrinkle up in disgust, which caused Aida to laugh out loud. Syna was surprised that the little fairy had followed her inside, but was quickly amused that she was flying around examining everything in detail.

Syna moved the pot over closer to the fire, and quickly found and broke up some herbs and seasonings into the pot, before stirring them in. Looking at the little bundle Green-eyes had given her, she selected one of those, and added it too. She was about to taste some of the bread that lay under a cloth on the table, but realized that the design in the top was of Dara’s making, and let the bread go. The meat pies lying there, were freshly made, but so badly formed that there was no doubt who had made those. Syna simply swept them off into a bucket, to toss to the animals as she passed.

Then moving to the cistern, she sniffed gingerly, before dumping the contents into another pot, and setting it near the fire.

Aida then followed her, as she moved into her room, and was instantly drawn to the mirror. Syna opened the chest that now lay at the foot of her bed, and looking at the clothes there because she was tempted to change. Moving to the mirror, however, she realized that the clothes she was wearing were just as fresh as any in the chest, and perhaps more so. In the end, she decided that she would have to hang them outside to be aired out, so she simply adjusted herself subtly, and on impulse placed several dry bars of her soap into the chest before closing the lid.

Moving back into the common room, she took a taste the rapidly warming stew.

Smiling, she quickly found small basket to carry the food too her father. She then retrieved a covered crock, which she set on the hearth to warm. Packing everything else she’d need in the basket, she turned to fill the crock, before once more tasting the stew with far greater satisfaction. Moving the pots away from the fire, and brushing the coals into a small pile at the back, she took the basket, and the bucket of meat pies into the yard, where she drew fresh water from the well.

She tossed the contents of the bucket to several small pigs who came running toward her as soon as she appeared, but made sure the larger animals, who were held back by the fence around their sty, got their fair portion as well.

Suddenly, she felt Aida at her Cheek. “I must go, and you must hurry.” Aida said cheerily, but her eyes darkened as she touched noses with Syna. “I love you.” she finished softly, looking very sadly up at Syna.

“I know.” Syna said warmly, leaning forward for the little fairy to once more move in and touch noses. “I love you too!” she whispered, “As you well know!”

The little fairy nodded, and giggled, but it was her eyes that shown most of all. Had it been but a little darker, Syna was sure that they would have cast a light about the yard.

Taking a drink from the dipper, the fairy turned back to her, and said. “You are too pretty to be a child of Eve, Syna. I’m sure you will fair better for it.”

Syna nodded, but did not know what else to say, as she did not fully understand.

“Asho, and the Aida bade you enjoy their little gifts, and to be happy from now on!” she beamed, and with that touched her nose to Syna’s one last time, before she flew high and fast toward the hills at the head of the valley.

Syna was unsure, but softly on the evening air came a rhyme into her mind, or perhaps even a memory.


Of all mankind, who walk the earth.
There echo still, those like the first

They are our hope, and are our guide
Who echo truth, held deep inside.

Strangely, Syna could almost feel the words that followed, as a childhood poem, long forgotten, but that might still tickle the memory. It seemed so familiar..

Syna shook herself and waved, even though she could no longer see Aida, before turning quickly to make her way down the path. She felt better than she could ever remember, but could not really understand why. In the end, it did not matter. She only wanted to see her father, and tell him that she was well, and to ease the worry she could see even from here in his hunched form. He must be frantic for her having spent the night in the forest. Soon her feet were running.

Syna had slowed to a walk long before she drew near her father, but he heard her approach anyway. The dullness of his eyes, and other features stole her heart away when he looked up at her. The skin about his face was slack, and his shoulders hung down as would a man’s of half again her father’s years. She was sure a sob escaped her throat, long before she could speak.

For Bryan’s part, he did not speak at all, but simply stared at her with his mouth agape.

“Father, I’m, so sorry.” Syna said, realizing that was exactly what she had said to him the last time she had come upon him in surprise. “I’m so sorry to have worried you. I came back as quickly as I could. I never meant to hurt you, I just felt so sad.... I just felt so sad.”

It was the look of him, his pale slack features, sick with grief and worry that caused her to rush to him, and throw herself into his arms. She did hear him sob “Dyre” as her father swept her up, and pressed his face to his child.

“I’m so sorry, father. I was lost….” She sobbed back, pleading for him to understand.

“Shhhh!” he whispered, as he continued to press her to him. “I thought I’d lost you too.”

For only the second time in her life, she could feel her father sobbing openly as he pressed the side of his head to hers. She did not know how long they held on, but the stew was much cooler when he finally pushed her back.

When he finally did step back, Bryan could only look in amazement. It was Dyre, there could be no mistake, but there were undeniable differences as well.

“Where have you been, boy?” Bryan asked, finally.

“I fell asleep in the forest.” Syna said simply.

“Fell asleep?” Bryan asked incredulous.

“Dyre! You’ve been gone for over a fortnight!”

“How long?” She asked, in a whisper.

He just stared at her before he finally spoke almost as softly. “Sixteen days, Dyre.”

“Syna, father.” Syna corrected him, not really knowing why it was so important at that moment, “or Ayanne if you must. I’m sorry, but I can’t explain further, but that is all I remember, really. I was running in the night, and then I got lost. And then I was so tired. I fell asleep beside some rocks. I came home as soon as I woke up.”

Bryan was too glad to see his child back, to argue about the absurd story, and once more dragged his child into a warm embrace. That was when he felt…

Gently but quickly pushing the child back, he looked at her dumbstruck

“What is it, Father?” she asked worriedly, looking at the shock on his face as he looked her up and down.

“You look…,” he paused and then finished “beautiful; even more beautiful than your mother.” He said softly, as he looked from her chest to her face and back many times causing Syna to blush furiously.

Subconsciously straightening her bow, and smoothing her vest, she could only say. “Thank you, father.”

“Dyre? What happened to you?” He asked, now clearly staring at the new shape he had felt beneath her clothes, and back again at her beautiful face, which had felt so smooth against his cheek. He looked up further, to see that her long hair was also more full and shown more colorfully as well.

It was as if he was looking at a finished portrait, where before he had only seen the rough outline of a rough sketch, of some great artist’s unfinished masterpiece. The end product, with all the colors filled in, was nothing less than breathtaking.

“Please call me Syna, father.” The girl said in a sweet voice, which itself sounded like oddly like a song. “I’m completely well. In fact, I’ve never felt better than I do right now. I’m so sorry to have worried you.” She smiled, and it almost stopped his heart.

“Please father, sit down, and eat. I fixed the stew, and brought you enough to eat. It will make you feel much better. Please, sit.” she said as cheerfully as she could manage, and quickly set about setting the meal on a cloth she pulled from the basket.

Bryan was sure that he could not eat. His mind and stomach were in turmoil as he fought to understand the vision that lay before his eyes. It was only with a complete absence of attention that he brought the first mouthful to his lips; but having done so, he quickly began to consume the food that Syna had brought, even though he never took his eyes off of the girl. She acted so strangely, as she somehow compelled him to care for himself for the first time in many days.

Syna was content to watch him eat, while she only sipped a little water. It pained her so to see his condition, even though now that she was back, she was sure she could quickly mend. However, she did at one point reach into the basket to pull out a few sprigs of herbs, which she chewed slowly in between sips of water. She had promised green eyes after all.

Bryan had not realized his hunger, until he tasted the stew, but when he did, his need to quash his hunger became overwhelming. He ate more rapidly than he should, but the savory flavors that combined with his need, were just slightly more compelling than his ‘son.’ was.

When he finished, and feeling much calmer for it, he began gently to ask the questions that had been forming in his mind ever since he’d hugged the girl.

“Dyr…” He shook his head slightly, “I mean Syna. What really happened to you? You seem changed.”

The smile on Syna’s face never broke, but simply looked more pained, as she reached for her father’s hand. “Father, I would never lie to you,” she told him with great sincerity “but, there are things that I simply can not explain” She paused to consider what else to say for just a moment, causing her brows to furrow deeply. “The truth is that I was asleep, in the forest, and only awoke this morning. As soon as I did, I came right home to let you know that I was all right. I know you were worried, father, and I’m so very sorry.” She finished contritely

“Where were you?” Bryan asked, in his frustration.

“Farther up in the valley, Father. I fell asleep in the forest.” The sadness and confusion in her eyes at having to torment him further very evident, but for some reason
she was having trouble remembering herself.

“Where in the valley? We searched the valley for many days. Can you show me?”

Sadly, she just shook her head.

“Do you not know exactly where you were? Did you fall and hit your head?” He asked, but somehow managed to resist pulling her toward him to look at her head. Suddenly he remembered the rock thrown by Chandi, so long ago. That might explain it, so he quickly asked again, “Does the back of your head hurt?”

“It’s not that, father. I did fall, but I didn’t hurt myself.” she said this flexing her hands unconsciously, before she held them up to stare at them. “I’m not hurt. I just can’t tell you exactly where I was. I’m sorry.”

Bryan asked very loudly, his patience being great, but not infinite, “In the name of all that is holy, child, why?” His exasperation was beginning to overwhelm even the joy of having her back. Still, nothing could ever be more overwhelming than the changes he suspected beneath the girl’s clothes. ‘The girl’, he thought in shock.

Syna could see the thoughts that raced through his mind clearly playing on his face. She felt so badly, but there was no help for it. She simply could not answer with anything other than a slow shake of her head.

Bryan had no heart to push her further, so he simply asked “Were you alone.”

Syna hesitated for a moment, and then again slowly shook her head ‘no’, while her soulful eyes stared back at his. There was no lie in the child’s eyes. Of that much, he was certain.

“Did they hurt you, Dy…, Syna?” He asked very softly, his voice almost breaking at the end.

Again, she shook her head, but this time she leaned in to hug him while she answered him truthfully. “No father. They took care of me.”

“They?” he asked. “There was more than one?”

“Yes, father.” She said, sitting back again.

“Who were they? Why didn’t they send word?” He demanded, not able to understand who would have kept the child without sending some word to the village.

He felt that Syna just shook her head again.

Bryan took a deep breath, and tried again. “You walked home from the head of the valley this morning?”

At this Syna seemed to grow immediately more animated, and her smile returned in full. “No, Father! Do you remember that poor draft horse that the cousins owned? The one that ran away from the inn? Bayford.”

Bryan remembered. It was he who had fished Brm out of the trough before he had quite drowned, constituting one of the few acts in his life that he actually regretted. He nodded.

“Well he found me.” Syna continued, “And he gave me a ride home.” She giggled. It was the sweetest noise that he had ever heard, which also made his insides shudder as if it were the roar of a lion at his back. “He is a very sweet horse. I can’t understand why anyone would be so mean to him that he would have to run away.”

“Is he in the barn?” Bryan asked.

“No father” She said shaking her head. “I promised to let him go if he gave me a ride back, and I did. He’s long gone by now, back up the valley.”

Bryan was beginning to despair of ever getting a strait answer. He needed help. He knew that he almost lost the last member of his family, because the boy had suffered so, and somehow he had not done enough to stop it. He had to be sure that his only child was not in as delicate condition as before. How could he, though, when most of what the child said was nonsense, or something close to it. He could only hope that Dara might fair better than he in dealing with this.

Clearly, he needed the boy’s Mother’s help, and since that had been taken from him, he needed the closest thing he could find..

“Well, if you feel up to it, we should go and tell Dara and Calum you are well.” He said, praying silently that Dara could make more of what Syna was saying. “Keely, too, will be very happy to see you. She’s been very sad, and her mother said that she has not been eating or sleeping well.”

He paused again at the pain that flashed across Syna’s face, as she realized another obvious result of her absence.

“Do you feel up to the walk? Do you need me to get you a horse?”

Syna just shook her head, and began to place the things she had brought into the basket.

Shaking his own head, Bryan could only be amazed at his child’s seeming odd behaviors. They seemed to fit what he thought he could so clearly see. Every time the child moved, or bent to reach for something. Her clothes fit her much better than they had before, which made the changes unmistakable...

Syna left the basket on a stump beside the path down to the road. They talked as they walked. Mostly it was Syna, who seemed to take great joy in everything that she saw, but also with some gentle questions from Bryan. He could find out nothing more, but he did finally have to tell the child to stop apologizing…

 
 

rosette_color.png

 
 

     -S.L.M.
 
[email protected]

 
 

Thank you for reading! If you like this story, Please take a moment to click on the vote
box at the top of the page. Comments are most gratefully welcome, and appreciated!

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A gift worthy for a princess

And thus one journey seems finished, though i truly hope the story continues. So much remains unanswered and so many paths remain unexplored. Is her mother with the Aida, how will Keely react, where is her knight in shining armor and oh so much more...

Hoping for more,

Amber

Well, you really did it!

It's amazing how you could write all that and completely avoid the cloying, fairy-tailish aspect that would have ruined it.

Instead, it's perfectly natural, understated -- beautifully done.

I'm glad you didn't fill in every single detail. You told what was necessary to make the picture complete.

I love it.

Kaleigh

No mere words can tell.

No mere words can tell.

That was just:

so beautiful

so amazing

so perfect

thank you,
Pleione

Excellent Prose for such musing....

I love it. Excellent writing skill and movement of words. It is like the fairies dancing in the air. Graceful and beautiful.

Hello Sarah!!! ^____^ ;-D

This is my first comment for your series. I have been out of town for the last two weeks while you posted. Excellent writing. You have such poise for your prose, it is heart breaking and reaching every emotional corner of the soul.

Now we see that in this world there are male fairies as well. I guess will have to wait for mother to make a proper meeting with her child, however brief the cameo appearance was. We will have to wait until next time for some more questions to be answered. Not only for us. But us also for the townfolk. They will be asking questions like crazy when she appears again in town. Hopefully she will keep her composure when that happens. And to see if the townfolk guess that it might be fairies who helped her. What will be the town's reaction to that? If they persue the legends, we know the Ancient Ones will further slip to another valley to escape the humans and the blessing of the Ancient Ones on the valley will leave as well. That is what I think for a possible scenario if it did happen.

But we will patiently sit on the rock waiting for the next chapter. We might just wake up from our sleep and discover it was just a dream. Fairies, unicorns, fair maidens, knights, kings, oh my....

Rachel

Wow

Easily the best scene I've ever read depicting the interaction between a human and a group of legendary/magical beings. It had heart, soul, and an amazing vision. Enough detail to make it ring of truth and a sense of possibility.

Thank you also, for carrying this chapter through to the reunion with her father. I was so afraid that the chapter, so busy with her transformation, would run out of space before reaching that point in the story.

It is sad that Syna is unable to tell her father about the fairies, but at some point she is going to have to. A physical transformation such as hers is just not going to be explainable otherwise. Of course, at the same time, the Ancients need to be shielded from the reach of the villagers, lest they kill the golden goose that enriches the whole valley. It is quite the conundrum, isn't it? Somehow, though, I suspect you'll find a path.

Simply great

This story is so well written and the characters are so enchanting that I can't wait till the next installment ( Which means the story captivated me so much that I'll probably check for the next part first thing when I get back from work Tuesday :) )

Anyway The name Asho gave to Syna is great. It sounds like the Japanese name Ayane ( meaning "Colourful sound") which is a name I really loved since I first heard it 6 years ago .

Keep up the great work and don't let cheshire cats confuse you.
Lily

Unicorn's gift

First my thanks once again for posting this wondrous tale for us. Already it has captured me as few stories have. You just have to see about getting Erin to help you at least self-publish this or even a commerical publisher. I have to have this on my shelf by my bed with my other cherished 'comfort' books!

Second you have taken some of the tales we know of Fairies and the "Old Ones" and made them your own. How the Fairies always seem like beautiful women, or the enchanted sleep out of Rip Van Winkle. I love how you have dear Syna being strange seeming like some legends of those who were 'fairy touched.' You made the blessings of Asho and Golden Eyes a wonderful special thing, that those who are merely human can't quite understand or fathom.

This appeals to our current "Pop Culture" view of Fairies, but also reaches for the more traditional idea of the Fairies as a two edge sword. Mischievous pranksters if aroused, but also helpful if treated respectably. Reminds me of the old tradition of leaving a bowl of milk and other treats by the door for the 'Little Folk'.

Combine all of this with your easy style of exquisite painless details, and earthly characterization you've written if not a masterpiece (who wants a dusty old volume sitting on shelf anyways?) but a heartwarming classic destined to lose many covers from being read so many times. (Hint, hint!)

Since I first stumbled over Big Closet some two years ago, I've seen many fine works that myself and others have urged the writers to seriously consider getting them printed. This one stands out even in that fine company. It is one of those stories that is for all ages (so far anyways!) can read and enjoy.

Okay I'll shut up now!

hugs!

grover

PS: I like it!

Exquisite

Lovingly written and highly enjoyable. I cannot praise highly enough.

Susie

Unicorn's Gift 7

Wonderful story. Will you continue it? I am glad that Syna is home. Her meeting with her Father was bitter sweet. I wonder if Syna has Fairy blood.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Bravo... brava? Bravura!

A fantastic job in every sense! I noticed a few misplaced letters here or there, but nothing that took away from your tale!

You seem to be bringing it to an end, but with all of the unaccounted for threads you've laid out, there seems to be much more possible for this adventure.

I know I'd be interested to see how the story and characters continue to develop!!!!

All the best - thank you for this gift!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Again You've Exceeded All Expectations

Hello Sarah,

I've simply run out of superlatives, every time I think it can't get any better you raise the bar higher. This chapter was simply breathtaking, you have made this the highlight of my day and I feel at a loss when a chapter comes to an end. Needless to say I am in eager anticipation of part eight and can't wait to see where your brilliance takes us.

Kindest regards,
talonx

:)

Another great part of the story. This must be the best story I've read in a very long time. I really hope to see more. :)

(It says something about a vote box? I'd click it, but I can't see any.)

If only it were so

for how many of us? Sadly when compared to Syna most would fall short of worthiness of such a gift.

I too would like to see this in printed form. It is far too wonderful to limit its audience to those who would find it here!

Melanie E.

Absolutely magical

This story takes the reader heart and soul into a magic world with characters who are diverse, but each special in their own right. I enjoyed it like I have few other stories. This one is really over the top.

I also like the art that comes along with the tale. Is it posted anywhere in a higher resolution?

Vote for Publishing

terrynaut's picture

I'd like to add my vote to encourage you to publish this story. I'd buy a copy of it for sure.

I cried several times while reading this chapter earlier today. Sometimes I cried for joy, sometimes for sadness. It was hard to read with my vision blurred by tears but I somehow muddled through. *sniff*

Poor Bayford! I love horses and it upset me to hear how he'd been treated. At least his new life makes up for his past treatment.

So is this the end of the story? I think this chapter ends at a good point, though it begs a sequel if it does. I'm just wonderin'. I'd gladly and gratefully accept another chapter. :)

Hugs

- Terry

ps Hi Ray! :)

Wonderful story!

Others have said it much more eloquently than me. I love this story and am surprised that there are not more like it here.

You have a way with words that leave me green with envy. That envy is tempered by the fact that I love your descriptive writing and the way you have created characters with depth and understanding. We care what happens to Syna, we worry about Brian and how the rest of the community reacts to Syna's magical change.

Please continue to delight us with this fairy tale, as this is a fairy tale as there are fairies in it :)

Sue

I am soooo mad at my dumb self!!!!!!

I have been meaning to read this story for a while, so this morning, I got started on it and just loved it. It was a wonderfully pretty story.

I did not realize until I finished the chapter that I had read the LAST CHAPTER FIRST! I am so mad at myself. I spoiled the whole story for myself. Now I am faced with the awful prospect of going back and reading it from the beginning even though I know the end.

GRRRRRRR.

Gwen

I think there is more

If memory serves there is another gift yet to come from the unicorn.

Whether that is motherhood, but then who is the father, or the return, for a while at least of her mother, who is clearly The Handmaiden to the unicorn , we do not know. It could be may other things, an explanation of why everything happened as it did, was he always supposed to be a girl and this was a test, a trial by fire to she she would not abuse her gifts. Keely, what of her love for the transformed child. Even in her dreams she is imagining it is him as a exquisit girl. Why is that? What of the kings messanger, his love for the child, his confusion at being told she was a he and waht of his mission? Was it to find the unicorn? Why do Syna and her mom have so much of the Anchient or fairy folk in their blood. Whatof the little fairy's love for Syna? Why did the neighbor woman hate Syna so?

Lots of wonderful questions that all, or many need answers.

A remarkable work. Top marks.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Yes, There is More

Read Sarah Lynn's "That's so weird" comment in Angharad's "Falling Off a Website" blog.

The Unicorn’s gift Part's 8,9, and 10...

The Unicorn’s Gift

I'm unsure why folks seem to think this is the end
of The Unicorn’s Gift.   I wrote this story in three
parts.   Post number seven is only the end of the
second portion (2/3rd) of the story.

Post #8 is already on the system, and scheduled to
publish at 02:00 Server time on Tuesday.   Post
#9 I have just had to retype much of, but that one
is ready, and will be posted for publication on
Thursday.

So, you see, more pages are coming, and having
just read them myself, I confidently hope that
you will all enjoy those too!

 
I have the pleasure to remain,
Your humble servant,

~Sarah Lynn Morgan~

How Much Does She Know?

joannebarbarella's picture

Syna's mind is obviously clouded and the fairies have made sure her memory is incomplete. She knows her name is not Dyre any more, but seems unaware of the physical changes she has experienced that have caused her to become Syna in her mind.

Hopefully this is something of which she will become aware before she finds herself in any kind of confrontation with Bram and Braun or their cronies.

With several more chapters to come I trust that our gentle writer will resolve these conflicts and perhaps somehow "rescue" her mother.

The magic kingdom has not so far treated her father very well and he surely deserves a break,
Joanne

You have a Sweetness of mind

Ole Ulfson's picture

and of writing that I have seldom seen matched. I know as I start reading a Sarah Lynn Morgan story that no mater how dark things may appear at first, no mater what ugly challenges may occur along the way, that the sweetness of character of your protagonist will overcome it, override it or just plain not notice it and arrive at a joyous ending. And I do so love happy endings.

Some will say life is terrible and there no happy endings. They will say I am deluded or naive for expecting happy endings. But I believe we create our own endings, happy or other. Your stories always make me happy.

Thank you!!!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Unicorn 7 I couldn't believe...

how happy I was when Syna got home. The sorrow is lifted, she back with her father and she sees life through new sight.
Hugs,
JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Beautiful!

Glenda98's picture

I had to hang on breathlessly to every word until she returned home. Poor Bryan must have been in deep despair. Beautifully written.

Glenda Ericsson