Racing Angels -chp 24

Printer-friendly version


Racing Angels


Webster’s dictionary defines Speed as the fallowing: the rate of change of position along a straight line with respect to time over a set distance. In other words, the quicker you can get from one place to another. The question is what do you, do when your family has spent the last two generations in search of ways to accomplish this goal faster and faster. Would do you do when the family business is the search for more Speed. For Robert ‘Robby’ McGuire the answer is easy. You grab your sister and strap on a pair of Formula One racecars then go for broke.


Chapter 24
Thursday morning, Darlington, South Carolina.

I walked around my room getting used to my new boots with a smile on my face. I was looking forward to this break. The team needs the downtime. Let’s be honest here. I need the downtime more than they do. The past few weeks have really taken their total on me. And the celebration after my win at Silverstone was one that I should have skipped. The hangover was one that will teach me to never drink Champagne after a race.

I had to chuckle at Kelly’s insistence at staying over at our house last night. Not that I blame her. I could tell that she didn’t want to go home to an empty house. I know that she wouldn’t leave my side during the victory party. She’s gotten extremely jealous of the other drivers when they hit on me. Then again so have I. More than a few of them haven’t gotten the hint that we’re engaged to be married. A date that is coming up faster on us than we expected. I still can’t believe that Kelly agreed to holding our marriage in Austin, Texas. It took us agreeing to hold an engagement party at the Mercedes-Benz Corporate headquarters next week to just get them to agree to the Austin date.

I swear those four old women just won’t give up trying to stick their noses into our wedding. It’s bad enough they want to give us a pair of matching AMG GT C Roadsters as a wedding present. Not that the GT Roadster is a bad car or anything. It’s just not my style, and the insurance will be a killer. I mean we’re both still teenagers. Then you add in my occupation things get a little on the ridiculous side. Even with mom getting me the rental car while we’re home is costing us a butt load. God, I miss my Judge.

“Bobbie are you wake?” Mom called through the door.

“I’m up mom. Come on in. I’m decent.” I had been up for more than two hours already. I had shit, showered, and dressed in a pair of blue jeans, and blouse by now. I smiled as the door open and mom walked in. “I’ve been up for awhile now mom. Something on your mind or are you just checking up on me?”

“Neither dear. I was wondering what you and Kelly have planned for today.” I could tell by mom’s question that she had something special planned for later today. “Speaking of Kelly. Where is she? Normally she’s dressed and downstairs by now.”

“She had to wait for the shower today. Joey got in there before both of us. As for what we got going on today nothing really mom. We were just going to swing by the school and see Mister Corely. Maybe stop in at Slow Jake’s and see how the Knights are coming along with their track.” I figured I had nothing to hide by telling mom only part of our plans.

“So, you’re not going to be handing out plane tickets and wedding invites to certain people?” Mom smirked. I just blushed at mom spotting my plans. “No kiddo I’m not peaking into yours and Kelly’s wedding plans. I just know you that’s all.”

“I know that most of the Knights are a bunch of rowdy Pee Dee street racers. But they’re all good people at heart. The guys may lack certain social graces, but their girlfriends counterbalance them.” I looked down at my feet blushing. “Besides I kind of owe them. I owe them big time.”

“I understand honey.” Mom reached behind her into the waist band of her pants. “I took the liberty of typing up a single invite for the Knights. I figure they can save money by driving out as a team. It’ll be cheaper than them flying.”

“Thanks mom. Is there another reason why you wanted to talk this morning?” I figured that I would get to the point.

“Your father needs you and Kelly at the shop by one o’clock, dear.” With that mom got up and walked out of my room. “Oh, and dear, you girls really need to look into finding your own place. I suggest you talk with Vicky over at Taylor realty. She currently has some very nice two- and three-bedroom ranch style homes listed on her site. Most of them run between one-twenty-five to three-hundred-thousand. I believe you should be able to find one to your liking. A good number of them even come with acreage.”

“Um… mom why the sudden change in heart? You’ve been so dead set against us moving in together. Why now?” I knew that Kelly and I would need our own place sooner or later. I just figured that would happen after we were married. “It’s not like we don’t have time. The wedding isn’t for another seventeen weeks.”

“Roberta Lee McGuire, you really need to get a better grip on time here child. That seventeen weeks is going to fly by, and you’ll be wondering where the time went. Besides, with this last race bonus you have more than enough money to buy just about any home you want outright. Do you even know what you want in a house?” Mom asked with a sly knowing smile.

“I know that Kelly wants at least ten acres, three bedrooms, two full baths, and a three-car garage. Other than that, I could care less what kind of home we live in.” I could always be honest with mom. If nothing else she would give me a straight answer.

Mom sighed. “Bobbie, haven’t you ever thought about what you want in a home? Don’t tell you haven’t. I’ve seen the listings saved on the company computer. Have you forgotten about that old real estate newspaper listing in your desk draw? You know the one for the old Harmon farm. What is it sixty-five acres with a ten-horse stable, a four-bedroom three-bathroom house, with a four-car garage? Not to mention two outbuildings.”

“It’s seventy-five acres, a twelve-horse stable farm. The main house is a five-bedroom, four-bath, two-story Victorian. It’s been remodeled four times to bring it up to modern standards. The last remodel was six years ago.” I told mom with a smile. “Oh, and there are four outbuildings. One of which is a two-bay garage.”

“That currently has a listing price of three-seventy-five. I called Vicky earlier this morning. She believes that you can get the property for a competitive offer of around three-forty.” Mom just smirked as I stood there with my mouth hanging open. “I told you that I would always look out for you, dear.”

“I know that mom. It’s just that I haven’t really had a chance to put things in order just yet.” I sighed. “I’ve been too busy with just trying to win races lately.”

“I know that dear. That’s why I took the initiative and called Vicky. She’ll be calling you sometime later this week to setup an appointment to show you kids the Harmon farm.” Mom just got up, hugged me, and turned to leave the room.

“Say, mom. Do you know why the old Harmon farm has been on the market for so long?” I know that my curiosity was getting the better of me. I mean the old Harmon farm has been up for sale for the last eight years.

Mom sighed and looked me in the eye. “Until recently that old home has been tied up in nonstop legal battles. As it is the property is so far in the arrears on taxes it’s dreadful. You might be able to snatch it up for the back-taxes. Why don’t you ask Vicky.”

“Why was it tied up in the courts mom?” I asked quickly.

“Mr. Harmon senior died of a heart attack without a last will and testament. His children have been fighting over who gets what ever since. It took a judge to force them sell the farm.” Mom shook her head. “Damned fools. The only people who made out were the lawyers. All that money for nothing.”

I thought about what mom told me. It was one more thing that I needed to get taken care of. Especially now that I was going to marry Kelly. “Thanks mom. See you later this afternoon. We still on for dinner at the Ringwald’s?”

“Yes, and don’t be late, Bobbie. Carol and Dan, had to shift their work schedules around for you girls.” Mom looked over at Kelly as she walked into my room. “I suggest that you be ready to spend the night at home with your parents, young lady.”

“Yes ma’am.” Kelly squeaked as she rushed by mom. I wanted to giggle but knew better. Besides, I was enjoying the view. Kelly was only in her bathrobe. She wore the freshly showered look well. Mom just smirked and left our room.

It didn’t take Kelly long to get dressed. Just like me, Kelly had taken to wearing junipers, knee-high riding boots, and a peasant blouse as her day-to-day wear. We had both become real advocates of the women’s equestrian look. Once Kelly was dressed and had her makeup done, we headed down for breakfast.

An hour later we were headed out for Slow Jack’s Garage. As much as I like the 2017 Mustang, I still wanted my Judge. It just didn’t have the same responses that my old car had. I smiled as I pulled into the parking area for Jack’s Garage. Once again it was filled with the cars of the local street racers.

I counted at least three different club license plate frames. The most numerous belonged to a club that I haven’t heard of though and were on mostly cars from the last decade, the Blue Demons. They must have formed over the last few months.

As Kelly and I climbed out of the Mustang one of the new guys walked up with a smile. “Welcome to Slow Jack’s Garage. I’m Gary. How can I help you today ladies?”

“We’re just here to see Jack and the Knights Gary.” Kelly told him.

“Sorry, miss. But Jack and the Knights are all over at MRDI for the day.” He gave me and Kelly a thoughtful look. “Please don’t take this the wrong way miss, but aren’t you Bobbie McGuire?”

I just sighed. “Yup. That’s me.”

Gary’s sudden smile threatened to crack the boy’s face. “YEAH GUYS! She’s here! SHE’S REALLY HERE!”

I was stunned as more than fifteen young men and twelve young women rushed out of the garage area. Both Kelly and I were surrounded by what had to be the owners of all the cars there. Within minutes I was signing autographs and posing for pictures with the members of the various club members and in groups. It seems that they all had to have a picture with the local girl who made it to the world stage of Formula 1 racing. To say that I was more than a little surprised by the attention would be to say the Eiffel Tower is a collection of matchsticks.

Even Kelly was getting the star treatment. It took close to twenty minutes before Stephany Stone stepped out of the office. “ALRIGHT YOU CHUCKLEHEADS! KNOCK IT OFF!”

Almost like Moses parting the Reed Sea the gathered drivers separated for Stephany. I gave her a smile as she walked up to me and Kelly. “How’s it going Steph?”

“Not too bad. Sorry about the new guys swarming you and Kelly, like that Bobbie. I wish that dad hadn’t brought in those new guys. The problem is we need the help.” Stephany sighed. I gave a quizzical look and she explained. “Ever since word got out that you brought your car here, we’ve been flooded with requests. Mostly for custom and repair bodywork. We’ve also started getting requests for restoration work of older and classic cars.”

“Damn, I bet your dad is just loving all this new work. How has that list I gave your dad worked out for you?” I asked the younger teen. I knew that list of junk and salvage yards would come in handy. “If you need more names to contact let me know.”

“Nope. Believe it or not, once I got to talking to the guys on that list, I was able to start making my own contacts.” Stephany smiled. “Come on inside. I’m pretty sure you want to see what we’ve been able to do with your Judge.”

“I thought it was totaled?” Kelly asked.

“It is as far as a street racer goes. Dad though wanted to try and bring back to factory specs. At least get her back on the road.” Stephany told us as she led us towards the back part of the garage. To an area that was blocked off by a hanging tarp.

She pulled the tarp to one side and waved us on around. There before me was my Judge. At least what was left of my Judge. I could tell that my baby won’t ever be a street racer again. At best she would only be good for the ‘family car’.

“Miss Bobbie, dad told me to tell you that your Judge’s racing days are well, and truly over. We’ve done our best to get her to this point, but unless you want to drop another twenty to thirty grand into her she’ll never be more than a show piece. Sorry.” Stephany told me sadly. I could tell that she didn’t want to give up on the old gal. I could also tell that she had fallen in love with the old car.

“Tell you what Step. You get her back on the road. She’s yours.” I told the teenager with a smile.

Stephany blinked her eyes at me. “Are you serious? I mean this is a nineteen-sixty-nine GTO J model straight from the factory with a four-hundred CID V-eight Ram Air III engine, Rally II wheels without trim rings, Hurst shifter with a unique T-shaped handle, wider tires, various decals, and a rear spoiler. One of the rarest classic cars on the road right now.”

“I’m dead serious Steph. If you can get this old gal back on the road. She’s yours. I know that she’ll never be a racer again. But she’ll make a great first car for you.” I told her honestly. Then smiled as I pulled her into a hug. “Besides, I know that you have been running this place since your family got back from Europe. I know that your dad has been too busy with getting the new NASCAR team in shape to really deal with this place. Think of it as a reward for all the hard work you’ve done for your dad.”

The young teenage girl wrapped me so tightly in a hug that it threatened to cut off my air. “OH, THANK YOU! YOU’RE SO COOL!”

I pried Stephany off me with a smile. “Don’t thank me, kiddo. Thank the insurance company. They wrote my Judge off as totaled. They’re not willing to pay for the repairs. That leaves me with a car that I can’t drive or fix. Now you on the other hand have the time, and the resources to get my old car back on the road. Both of which I currently lack. I will tell you this much. This is going to become a labor of love, Steph.”

“I promise that I’ll do her up right, Miss McGuire.” Stephany was practically bouncing with her pinned up excitement. “I hope you like that sweat little number daddy found for you. I know the guys have busted their asses to get it ready for your return.”

“What are you talking about Stephany? I haven’t talked to your dad since you guys left Europe.” I asked in confusion.

“Um… if I asked you to just forget about what I just said would you?” Stephany blushed. Then looked down at her feet. “I kind of forgot that it is supposed to be a surprise.”

“What’s supposed to be a surprise?” I asked her. Only to get hit in the arm by Kelly. “What the hell was that for?”

“Leave it alone, Bobbie. Now.” Kelly ordered.

I gave my fiancée a dirty look before turning back to Stephany. “Forget about it, Stephany. If you’re not supposed to tell me about something that’s fine by me. Right now, we need to go to your office. I got a title to sign over.”

The young teenager relaxed and gave me a smile. “Thanks Bobbie. I can’t believe that you’re actually going to sign over your car’s title. I mean are you sure you want to do this? We still got a long way to go on the rebuild of your car.”

“As much as I would love to keep her Stephany. I can’t. She was a great car, but I just don’t have the time to rebuild her. You and the Blue Demons on the other hand do. It can be a project car for your new club, Stephany.” I gave her a winning smile as I pulled the title for the Judge from my purse.

“If you’re sure then we’ll make sure the job gets done right.” Stephany promised as they entered the shop office. It took me ten minutes to sign and notarize the title over to Stephany. “Just do me one favor. When you go to repaint. Try to find a decent color that matches with your club colors. I’m thinking a niece deep Royal or Navy blue. Maybe even a Neon Sapphire Blue.”

“You got it Bobbie. I told you we would do it right. I meant that. How did you know that the Blue Demons were my club?” Stephany asked me with her head cocked to the side.

Kelly answered Stephany as I just chuckled. “Oh please! Stephany all we had to do was look at the average age of the Blue Demons to figure that out. Most of them are right around your age. We knew that sooner or later with the Knights breaking up that you would form your own club.”

“After all, Steph. It is kind of a family tradition. Your father founded the Darlington Knights. Your uncle founded the Midnight Runners. This garage has been in the Stone family for four generations.” I looked around the office smiling. “Yes, I know what this place means for your family. It’s history, and the history of your family, is all-over the walls.”

Once again, I was wrapped up tightly as Stephany tried to squeeze the life out of me. “You really do get it. I know that this is going to sound crazy, but I just couldn’t let the club die.”

I just chuckled and pushed her back. “Of course, I get it. Just because I never joined or formed my own club doesn’t mean that I don’t understand. These car clubs are part of our county’s history in a major way. Just like the Lady in Black.”

“Stephany, if there is one thing that will always be the truth in Darlington county it is this. We always honor our past. Racing is part of that past. If it hadn’t been for Darlington Raceway and NASCAR, I doubt that our little county would have survived the last few decades.” Kelly quickly told the teenage girl.

I had to give it to Kelly. When she wanted to get someone motivated. She got them motivated. Kelly always found a way to get people to just want to make themselves better. Me, I just want to drive as fast as I can. Kelly is out to make the world a better place. One small part of it at a time.

“Look, we would love to spend all day hanging out with you and your new club Steph. But we have to be going. We got one more stop to make this morning before heading over to MRDI.” I said quickly.

“Sure. I understand. Besides, dad and the guys are over there working on the new Stock cars for their team. I never thought I would see the day that my dad would be the Senior Chief Mechanic for a real NASCAR team.” Stephany beamed. “Where is your next stop? The bridal store?”

Kelly and I both chuckled. “Nope. We picked out our dresses back in London. By the way.” I reached into my purse and pulled out the group invitation handing it to her. “Here this is for your family and the Knights. If you can get the Demons together in time. They can come to. That is a group invitation for our wedding in Auston. Sorry, but the clubs will have to drive out.”

Stephany squealed in delight then hugged Kelly and me again. I swear the girl is a hugger. We were interrupted by one of the shop guys stepping into the office. “Hey Stephany, do you know if that intake manifold came in for the Camaro SS yet?”

“Not yet Sal. It’s supposed to be on the UPS truck for delivery this morning. You should be able to get Miss Love’s car back on the road sometime this afternoon.” Stephany turned back to us smiling brightly. “Kelly, Bobbie, sorry but I got to get back to work. Somebody has to run this madhouse with dad out of the shop.”

“Go on Steph. We understand. Besides we really need to get going ourselves.” With that we left the office and Slow Jake’s Garage. As we drove through town, I got to thinking about something Stephany said back at the garage. “Kelly, do you know why my parents want us over at MRDI at one o’clock?”

“Nope. Not a clue.” I could that she was lying to me. She never took her eyes off the road. She was refusing to look me in the eye. When we stopped a red light, Kelly looked over at me smiling. “Really, Bobbie. I don’t know why they want us to come by at one.”

“Yeah right.” I harrumphed. “What are my parents up to, Kelly?”

She just sighed. “Let it go for now, Bobbie. Please?”

“Okay Kelly, I’ll let it go. Besides, I’ll find out in three hours anyway. I just wish they won’t hide things from me.” I bitched.

Kelly placed her hand on my leg. “I know how you hate being kept in the dark about things Bobbie. I know how so much was kept from you when you were younger. Trust me today is something good.”

As much as I wanted to argue with Kelly, I just couldn’t. The girl had me wrapped around her little finger. “Come on, let’s go see Vicky over at Taylor Realty. We need to tell her what WE want in a home. We’ll have a better chance seeing Mister Corely tomorrow.”

“Are you sure? I mean we can always rent until we’re ready to settle down. We don’t have to buy now.” I could tell that Kelly really did want to go talk with Vicky about houses.

“Get your phone out and start looking through her listings. I know that I want at least twenty acres of land. A three-bedroom house and at least a three-car garage.” I told her with a smile.

“That’s awfully big for our first home don’t you think. I mean we can start off with something smaller.” Kelly was thinking about the money. “Something like that will cost a lot of money.”

“Kelly, have you looked at your bank account lately?” I asked her.

“Well no. I’ve just been letting my check get deposited and only taking out what I need at the time. Why?” She asked me.

I chuckled. “Honey, do you realize that your weekly paycheck is equal to what most people earn in a month? I won’t even go into what I’ve earned over the last few months. Trust me, money is not a problem. I’ve got more than enough to buy whatever we want for our first home. Now, get to searching those listings.”

It took us thirty minutes to reach Taylor Realty thanks to traffic and a pain in the ass construction site. As we pulled in front of the office Kelly had found nine different listings that fit our wants and needs. Two of which had more than forty acres. We hit our first problem when dealing with Vicky’s receptionist. Our age.

“Sorry girls, but we gave last week.” The woman said.

“Um… we’re here to see Mrs. Taylor.” Kelly started off only to be interrupted by the receptionist.

“We’re not looking to higher anyone young lady. As for donations we are already supporting the local bands. Now please leave.” The receptionist’s attitude was starting to piss me off.

“Look lady, just let Vicky know that Bobbie McGuire is here.” That got the woman’s attention. She looked up at me with eyes as wide as diner plates. “You heard me sister.”

She reached over and picked up the phone. “Mrs. Taylor there is a Miss Bobbie McGuire here to see you. Yes, ma’am, I’ll send her back and her friend back right away.” The receptionist hung up the phone. “Mrs. Taylor will see you. Last door on the left.”

I just quirked my lips and took Kelly’s hand. I knew that the receptionist hadn’t expected Mrs. Vicky tell her to send us back. I know that we don’t look like we’re old enough to be looking at homes or have the needed credit background. That doesn’t excuse her attitude towards potential clients. Regardless of age.

“Ah, Miss McGuire so nice to meet you. I thought that our appointment wasn’t for tomorrow?” Vicky Taylor greet me and Kelly.

“I’ll be honest ma’am it is. We were in the area though and hoped that you might be free. Kelly and I were going over what we would like in our first home. She thought it would be best if we let you know what we wanted so that you can get a head start.” I figured that a slight twisting of the truth wasn’t a real lie.

“I see. Well I can’t fault you for that. Why don’t we sit down and go over what you have in mind?” Vicky smiled. As she sat down in her chair Vicky pulled out a legal pad and pen. “First let’s talk price range. I have several properties in the one-fifty to three-hundred thousand price range.”

“I currently have five-hundred-thousand-dollars in racing bonuses sitting around doing nothing. Not to mention my normal drivers’ salary. Between the two I have more than enough to cover a greater range than that. I was thinking of something between the three-hundred and five-hundred-thousand range.” I smiled sweetly as Vicky’s eyeballs bulged out in surprise. “Yeah, I know it’s stupid how much I get paid to do something I love.”

“I had no idea that a professional driver earned so much. I figured that you might have at most twenty-five-thousand for a down payment.” Vicky sat back in astonishment. “I’ll need to verify your income of course. You do understand, Miss McGuire?”

I just chuckled and hand her my checkbook. “I fully understand, Mrs. Taylor. I know that if I had a teenager walk into my office offering to pay that kind of money. I would be questioning things.”

“Thankyou for understanding. It will only take me a minute.” Vicky was already typing on her computer. I decided to save her sometime.

“Here call this number. It’s my accountant. Just ask for Tom.” I said as I handed her my business accountant’s number.

She looked at me and dialed the number. “Yes, this is Vicky Taylor with Taylor Realty. May I speak with Tom? Thank you. Yes, Mr. Martian, Vicky Taylor with Taylor Realty. Yes, I have Bobbie McGuire in my office. Yes, I just need a verification of assets. Really?! No, that will be all thank you for your time.”

Vicky hung the phone up with a stunned looked on her face. I chuckled and asked. “What did Tom say?”

“That if I didn’t have what you wanted to sell you my business.” Vicky looked over at me. “Do you have any idea of how much you’re worth right now young lady?”

“Honestly? No. I just know that I can afford just about anything in your listings.” I answered honestly.

“Let’s take a look at what you want in your new home. Are you planning on building? Will, an older home do? Just what is it that you girls want?” Vicky turned totally professional once she learned that I could afford just about anything in her listings.

“We both want a lot of land around us for starters.” Kelly began our list of wants. “We’re thinking around twenty acres or more.” Vickey started writing on her legal pad as Kelly listed what we wanted. “We need at least three bathrooms, and four bedrooms. A full dining room. Livingroom, with a separate family room. Full appliances in the kitchen, with plenty of cabinet space. I would like professional grade appliances if possible. Full mudroom and utility rooms. The utility room needs to have washer and dry hookups. A two car-garage at the minimum. Preferably would we like a three car-garage. The garage doesn’t have to be attached.”

I could tell that Kelly had been thinking about her dream home for a long time. With the way her list was going I was happy that I didn’t have to worry too much about price. When Kelly got done, I noticed that she left one thing out. Something that I knew she would love to have. “Don’t forget the horse barn.”

“Bobbie we’re not going to be around to take of horses.” Kelly countered quickly. But I could see it in her eyes. She wanted that horse barn to be part of her dream.

“I may not be home, but you will be. Look Kelly, I love you with all my heart, but you don’t have to be with me at every race. I also don’t want to wait to start our family. Once we’re married, we start working on that next.” I gave her my biggest smile. “This home is for you and our kids. We get enough land and I can have my man-shed built somewhere on it.”

Kelly’s heart melted at those words and so did her resistance. She turned to Vicky. “Mrs. Taylor, can you just find us a piece of vacant property? We’ll build to suite.”

Vicky just smiled and turned to her computer. “How much acreage do you want? Not that twenty you were talking about, young lady. I want to know the max.”

“Nothing less than fifty. We want full rights to the land as well.” Kelly explained. At my look of confusion, she smiled and explained. “I’m talking about water, and mineral rights as well. If we find natural gas, oil, or whatever on our land. I don’t want to have to fight some corporate ass hat over the right to live on our land. My family taught me all about that fact of life.” That was all Vicky need to hear.

I knew exactly what Kelly was talking about. It had happened to more than a few family farms in South Carolina. Especially in the Pee Dee area of the Palmetto State. One too many bank foreclosures had happened because of some corporation wanting the land. Vicky looked up from her computer with a smile.

“Okay ladies this is what I have for the following counties. Over in Florence you have three, Marlboro has one, Lee County is looking like your best bet with five. Before you ask there is one property in Darlington County that fits what you want.” I gave Vicky a strange look and wondered why she left Darlington to last. “There is a reason why I left Darlington for last. It is an estate liquidation sale. The total acreage is just over three-hundred acres. With a small lake taking up fifty of those acres.”

“What’s the problem? Is there some kind of beef between the family members? Do we need to buy the whole three-hundred acres?” Kelly asked the questions that was on my mind.

“No. They have already partialed out the land into four plots. Only three of the plots have access to the lake. The one plot that doesn’t is the smallest at twenty acres and has the only buildings, as well as the main house.” I could tell that there was more to the story. “The rest of the plots make up two-hundred-and-eighty.”

“What else Mrs. Taylor? What aren’t you telling us?” She just sat back in her chair and sighed.

“There is a huge back taxes levy on the property. Mainly due to back property taxes. It seems that the deceased owner got behind on his taxes and was unable to catch up. That is the main reason why the family is selling off the property.” That threw a monkey wrench in our plans. Back taxes can be a bitch if not taken care of right off the bat. “That is the bad news. The good news is you can get one of the back properties for around fifty-thousand over the back taxes. Your initial outlay would be around two-twenty-five to two-fifty for the land. Depending on which plot.”

“Why the difference?” Kelly asked.

“One is larger than the others. Nothing more than that. Of the three properties it is the largest at total of one-hundred-and-five acres. That would also give you majority ownership of the lake.” Vicky said with a smile. I liked what I was hearing.

“What if I purchased all three of the back plots? I want full ownership of the lake. How much would that cost?” I figured I might as well go for broke.

“I think that if you made an offer of three-hundred-thousand plus be willing to pay the back taxes the owners will go for it.” I could tell that Vicky was being honest. I watched as she worked up the proposal on her computer. “That would be just short of four-hundred-thousand dollars. The actual cost is closer to three-hundred-and-ninety-eight-thousand-seven-hundred-and-seventy-six dollars to be precise.”

I scratched my chin. “Call the family and offer them four-hundred-thousand. That is to include the back taxes. Tell them it’ll be a cash deal. See if they’ll go for it?”

Vicky smiled. “All we need to do is the paper work.” And held out her hand to me and Kelly.

We spent the next twenty minutes filling out the needed paperwork for Vicky to represent us. Once that was done, we shook hands and left Vicky to take care of business. She told us that we would hear from her in the next day or two. I gave her our cell phone numbers, telling her that she should be able to get a hold of us at one of the two numbers.

Once we were back in the car I smiled over at Kelly. “Well, love. We’re one step closer to having your dream. Do you think two-hundred-and-eighty acres will be enough?”

“Bobbie, I thought you had lost your FUCKING MIND in there. That was until I heard your idea of just paying off the back taxes. With a little more on top to sweeten the pie for the family. Do you think they’ll go for it?” I could hear her worry in her voice.

“If they don’t, I’ll raise the bid until they do. But I won’t go over four-fifty.” I smiled. “I got with Tom yesterday. Before mom suggested that we look for our own place. He told me that I have more than seven-hundred-thousand to put towards a home.”

“You have got to be kidding me?” Kelly asked in shock.

“Love, I never joke about money. You should know that by now. You want that dream home, you’ll get that dream home.” Then I quirked my lips as I remembered one of the first lessons I learned in my young life. “Besides, it’s only money.”

I chuckled as Kelly’s eyes bulged out at hearing this. Then again, she should know by now that I just don’t take earthly possessions seriously. I’ve known for some time now that you can’t take it with you. I know Brinks sure as hell didn’t follow J.P. Morgan to the cemetery. I learned that it is best to enjoy life while you can. Because no one knows when your time is up.

“DAMN IT BOBBIE! We’re talking three-quarters of a million dollars here. Do you even understand how much that is?!” Kelly screeched.

“Sure. It is exactly seven-hundred-and-fifty-thousand dollars.” I giggled. I could tell that Kelly was close to blowing her top. I sighed and took pity on her. “Kelly, I know that it sounds like a lot of money, sure. It also sounds like I’m blowing a lot of it, but I’m not. This is an investment in OUR future. In the long run we’ll need the write off as ‘first-time home buyers’ at the end of the year for taxes. Have you looked at our income lately?”

She just sighed and looked at her watch. “We need to head for the shop, baby. It’s almost one o’clock.”

“Shit.” I pointed the car towards MRDI and headed for my fate. “Any chance of you giving me a hint?”

“Not happening, girlfriend. Just deal already.” Kelly snarked. “Besides, think of this as your just deserts for what you pulled earlier darling. I get to be the one holding all the strings.”

I just grumbled and headed for MRDI. It took us just over thirty-minutes to reach the family’s shop. I hate the lunchtime rush hour. I mean it’s normally that bad, but today was excessive for normal. I can only put it down to the road work. As we pull into the parking lot for MRDI I spot the cars belonging to the Darlington Knights. Most of whom now work for my family’s NASCAR branch of the business. I know that mom has been busting her ass on designing new cars for the guys.

I also noticed that most of the cars belonging to my pit crew were here as well. I spotted Beth’s new Dodge Charger in her reserved space. I just smiled and pulled into mine. “Come on Kelly. Time to face the music. I figure that we got maybe two to three hours before your parents want to see us.”

As we enter the office area dad spots us before anyone else. “Hi kids. About time you got here. Jewels, the girls are here.”

Mom came out of the back-office area smiling. “About time you two. We’ve held the festivities long enough.”

“Okay, guys, What’s up? You normally don’t do the whole surprise thing bullshit with me.” I pointed out.

“Okay, okay, Bobbie. We know that you’ve missed your Judge. We also know that you put a lot of time and money in that car. It was your baby. We also know how that loss has affected you.” Mom started off. “When we found out that the insurance company wasn’t going to pay for it to be repaired. We started looking for a replacement. Sadly, the number of GTO J models has become very limited thanks to the Fast-n-Furious movies.”

“I know mom. I already found the bad news from Stephany over at Slow Jake’s. I went ahead and signed the title over to her and the Demons. I figure that it would make a great club car for them.” I figured that it would be best to just tell them what I had done. “They have the time to get her back on the road. Her racing days are over.”

“I kind of figure you would do something like that, Bobbie.” Dad said from by the garage area doorway. “I think that you’ll find that we found a fitting replacement. This way please?”

I followed mom and dad out into the garage area to the far bay. There I found a car covered by a tarp. I could tell by the lines it was a sports car. Not just any sports car but a super sports car of some type. Whatever is under that tarp is built for speed. Speed and nothing else. This is not your everyday sports car. It was one that was built in the era of speed and the first supercars the late sixties, early seventies in mind.

Dad walked around to the far side of the car. He waited until I was standing just a few feet away from the tarp covered car. With a quick yank he pulled the tarp away to reveal a truly one of a kind car. With a trembling hand I slowly caressed the hood of the car before me. I never took my eyes from the gleaming black car.

“Is this really what I think it is? I’m not dreaming. This is real. Please tell me that this isn’t a cruel joke.” I pegged.

“No Bobbie, this isn’t a joke. Of any type. This is the real deal.” Dad said with a smile. “You really are looking at a nineteen-ninety-six second generation Dodge Viper GTS.”

I could tell that the Viper had been restored to original condition. Unlike most Vipers of the time this one was not in the trademark Dodge blue, thank god. I quickly ran the specs for the 96 Viper GTS through my head. Her dimensions were 175.1 inches long by 75.7 inches wide by 43.9 inches high. She came with a 19-gallon fuel tank. Had seating for 2. She was definitely not a family car. The GTS Viper was rear-wheel drive with a wheelbase of 96.2 inches. Like most Vipers the GTS came with a V10 engine and a 6-speed manual transmission. The GTS was also the first Viper to be considered to have Coupe Body style.

The 96 Viper GTS was a new coupé version of the original Viper RT/10. It was dubbed the “double bubble”, because of the roof featuring slightly raised sections that looked like bubbles to accommodate the usage of helmets and taking design cues from the Shelby Daytona designed by Pete Brock. More than 90% of the GTS was new in comparison to the RT/10 despite similar looks. The GTS came with the same 8.0 L; 487.6 cu in; V10 engine but the power was increased to 450 hp at 5,200 rpm, with 490 lb⋅ft of torque at 3,700 rpm. The 1996 GTS was also the first Viper to be equipped with airbags. It also included air conditioning, power windows and power door locks as standard equipment.

I looked over at mom and dad. “How did this happen? I mean I barely got enough out of the Judge for a down payment on a new Dodge Charger like Beth’s. Hell, where did you even find a Viper GTS is this good of a condition to begin with?”

“The how was the easy part.” Jake snarked. “The Knights did the bodywork and paint. I did the engine work. Tony over at Speedworks did the transmission. Sally at Car Art Interiors took care of the insides. And my dear Stephany found the parts. All of which are factory original, not repops. It was finding the car to begin with that was the real bitch.”

“We can thank the Dodge dealer that replaced Beth’s Charger for that. It seems that Dodge likes to keep track of these little beauties. For some reason they don’t want too much of the design to get out into the open markets.” Mom snarked.

“But why? I mean I was happy to go look for something new.” I figured I would tell the truth. “I mean we can’t replace the Judge. I was over at Jake’s place earlier. At best all she’ll ever be good for from now on is a show car.”

“The Knights wanted to show their thanks for what you’ve done for them and this town Bobbie. You may not know it, but you got a rather colorful nickname amongst the street racers. They wanted to give you a car that fit that nickname.” I knew exactly what nickname Jake was talking about. I tried very hard to get away from that name, but it has stuck with me ‘Rattler’. Just like my namesake I’m a real viper in the grass when I race. I sit back wait for you to make a mistake and then strike. “We couldn’t find you a Mustang Cobra, but then again you’re more of a Supreme Super Snake. So, we went looking for a Viper instead.”

“Don’t worry about the paperwork. I took care of that this morning while you girls were out driving around. She’s fully registered in your name and insured. Any questions?” Mom said as she handed me the keys to the beautiful car.

I turned to her with a smile. “Is the Lady open for a trial run?”

-----tbc-----

up
433 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good intermediate segment.

Good intermediate segment.

One thing. For racers and true car enthusiasts, they wouldn't be looking for a Mustang Cobra. They'd be looking for a _Shelby Cobra_.

(This despite the fact that Shelby was a bit of a sleaze)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

The only Mustang Cobras in production

wolfjess7's picture

Um... I know that I don't have a lot of experience in the field, but the only 'Cobras' in production during that time (90s-2005) was the SVT Mustang Cobras. Shelby had broken away from Ford in 70 or somewhere around that time. And from what I have been told through interviews with Mustang enthusiasts and collectors the SVT Cobras are considered the true 'Super Snakes'.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

The Shelby GT500......

D. Eden's picture

Has often been referred to as the Super Snake - especially the KR.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Blasphemy

My5InchFMHeels's picture

While many enthusiasts would consider this blasphemy, were it me, a Mustang II Cobra would be something that could easily be set up like the Judge was. A lot of folks consider them abominations, but they are very versatile, with a LOT of under hood room for CID such as a 429 SCJ, and with less weight than the late 60s early 70s, or even the Foxbody mustangs, Bobbie would be able to Rattle around.

Mustang II?

Seriously, that cannot even be considered a Mustang as it was a Pinto with a different sheet metal skin. Not to say they weren't fun to play with and many Pintos, Mavericks and Mustang II's have been found at the drag strip sporting big block engines and enormous wheel tubs to large slicks.

While there have been big blocks shoe-horned into those by the criminally insane gear heads (I'm included in those masses) To do it right requires some metal fabrication skills, along with a cutting torch and welding equipment. Also anyone that has made that modification will tell you that you'll need to cut holes in the inner fenders to change the spark plugs and finding springs to hold the weight of the big block is a PITA, not to mention how badly the extra weight throws off it's handling.

Having built quite a few abominations myself, (Chevy Monza with a NASCAR engine, Ford Maverick with a 351C, Ford Ranger with a 302, Chevy Vega with a Buick 455, and a Chevy Chevette with a 396, just to name a few) I can say that going into it with the right attitude can make for a really fun project but when you get crazy with the engine size you must become even more serious with modifications to the suspension or else they are only good for straight line speed.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

What? No VW Bug with a 454

What? No VW Bug with a 454 with nitrous injection? (I knew of someone with one of those. Baja'ed, and he would troll for cops in the deserts of NM. )


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

VW's

With Chevy drive train were one of the more common shoe-horned small car/big engine modifications, kits could even be bought for those out of the various mail order catalogues. Which make them more of a, "Look what I could afford to buy" than "I built something that no one else has!"

For VW modifications, I know a guy with an amphibious VW dune buggy, built from scratch on a shoe-string budget. And all power for both modes of travel come from the little VW bug engine. The pulley and belt system that engage and run the transom mounted outdrive is pure genius... For me that is IMPRESSIVE!

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Not the Mustang. The Shelby

Not the Mustang. The Shelby. 1967 Shelby Cobra, for example.

I'm assuming the Judge was a Pontiac GTO Judge, probably a 1969 or similar. So if you go back to the same time period, you'd be looking at things like the Shelby Cobra. (Look at the AC Cobra MK III, for example)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Bobbie's Judge

wolfjess7's picture

The 'Judge' that is described in this story is the Pontiac GTO J model 2-door coupé.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Cobra FYI

Carol Shelby lost the rights to the name "Cobra" and access to the incomplete Mustangs he converted in 1967. He started dabbling with doing to Camaros what he was doing to the Mustangs Ford sold him. Ford got all offended and dragged out the contract and took everything back. The Ford Cobra came out in 1968 or 1969 (don't remember which) and was a pale ghost of what Shelby was doing. BTW, the Shelbys he turned out were not registered as Ford Mustangs, they were registered as Cobras built by Carol Shelby Mfg. (Exact name of Shelby's shop may not be right, that was a long time ago?!)

How do I know? My brother owned a '67 Shelby GT-500, one of the last ones made. I actually bumped into the guy that owned the next car in production order. I spotted it in a parking lot in town, and as I had "borrowed" the GT-500 to run a few errands I immediately whipped in to the lot and stopped behind it. Both cars were built during the litigation with Ford, the other guy's GT-500 was missing several of the minor touches my brother's had. For instance he had a real backseat. My brother's had vinyl-covered plywood. The rules said the 500 had to have a backseat to qualify for the class it was placed in, but nothing in the rules said they had to be comfortable!

Sadly he lost in in his divorce. He was in the Air Force and was being posted to a hardship station (No family allowed). He set his wife up in a nice place in California that had a barn and land for a couple of horses. He really try hard to set her up nicely while he was going to be in Iceland with the first-deployed squadron of F-15s. Six months later she filed for divorce saying he "abandoned" her. The every so nice California divorces granted it and literally gave her everything. She even kept his clothing and summer uniforms. He ended up owning whatever he took to Iceland, nothing else.

15 years later he got a box shipped to him with all his important military papers, like his commissioning document, and other military records. No note, no clue why she had kept them for 15yrs or what had happened to everything else.

Hmmmm


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Shelby Cobra

I remember sitting on the hillside at Lime Rock Raceway in Connecticut in 1966 or 1967 and watching the Cobra 427s scream past the Corvettes on the straightaway. Cobras were awesome then and remain awesome (in my old mind) today! The nice thing about car engines during that time period (as others have noted) is that anyone with a decent set of tools and some common sense could work on them -- no fancy on-board diagnostic systems and computers needed! Just a good ear and patience!

Shelby Cobras weren't

Shelby Cobras weren't Mustangs. I believe the Shelby Mustangs were the GT series.

As for the divorce? He obviously didn't know his rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servicemembers_Civil_Relief_Act

Congress passed, over a century ago, the bill above that restrictions and halts all civil actions against a serving member of the military deployed on duty. The last amendment to it was in 2003. That means that he should have gone straight to the JAG and they'd have taken care of it for him. The California judge, in that case, would probably have ended up in federal prison.

I don't know how the statute of limitations work on that, but he could certainly give the court there an earful.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

correct

True Shelby Cobras were not Mustangs, but Carrol Shelby is the father of both of these cars.

The original Shelby AC Cobra's were 289 Ford drive trains shoe-horned into the British Bristol all aluminum body in Shelby's own factory. These were only produced for a couple of years and the Shelby 427 Cobra took its place which was slightly larger and wider to accommodate the larger engine and built entirely by Shelby's company. The easiest way to tell them apart is the 427 Cobra had mag wheels while the AC Cobra had wire spoke wheels. The wheel change due to the new 427 Cobra having so much power they tended to rip the spokes out of the hubs.

The 427 Cobra was capable of 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds and 0 to 100 and back to 0 in under 10 seconds. This records was never beaten until one of the super cars of today (can't remember which one) beat the 0 to 60 record a handful of years ago.

The Ford Mustang, also designed by Carrol Shelby, was originally turned down by Ford which instead invested in building the Edsel (and we all know how well that turned out). Ford later picked the Mustang Design back up and began producing the Mustang in 1964 1/2. The original Mustangs were based on the Ford Falcon chassis. Shelby became involved with the development of the sport versions of these which include the GT350 and GT500.

The Mustang II (2nd generation Mustang) were based on the Pinto chassis and after the first year or two coule be purchased with a 302 instead of the inline 4 and 6 most came with. The "King Cobra" was produced in 1978 and it was really nothing more than a nice paint job with ground effects.

in 1979 Ford began producing Mustangs on the Fox chassis. During these years SVT finally began producing some true high performance Mustangs.

I left Ford before the next generation of Mustangs came along.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

One of my instructors was a

One of my instructors was a sociologist that was part of the group that put together the focus group for the Edsel. He was always a bit embarrassed about it.

The major problem with the Edsel was 'too much, too soon'. If they'd cut half of the features off of it, it'd been fine. If they'd waited another 5 years, they'd have been fine.

Just the wrong time for all the extras they added to it - for the majority of the buying public.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I can't speak

To the circumstances surrounding the divorce, I only know what my brother told me. He said what happened to him could only happen happen in California. This was in the mid-70s as I recall. What I most vividly remember was him crying when he showed us the contents of the box.

As for the AC Cobra, I didn't mention them because they weren't germane to the discussion. My brother's best friend bought a burned one and completely rebuilt it from the ground up. Damn, what a car!

But the GT500 was billed as a Shelby Cobra, that much I know. They even had a special "Cobra" fuel tank cap. Although I had a friend with a GT350, how it was billed I can't say. He did tell me he had a run-in with a state trooper, who wanted to write him up for illegally modified exhaust (not considered "street legal"). He assured the officer it came from the factory that way. The trooper sneered at him and said 'I know what a factory exhaust on a Mustang looks and sounds like'. Paul told him it wasn't a Mustang, and suggested he run the registration. Sure enough it came back as a "Shelby" with no mention of Ford or Mustang anywhere on the title.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Wondering?

I was wondering if anyone else would catch that little slip. And a few people would not consider a knee high a true jodhpur, a lot think of the ankle boot or Chelsea boot when jodhpur is mentioned.

Your first car is always special to you.

Mine was a 69 mustang.I had everything I owned in the back seat on my first job search coming out of college making it heavier than I was used too. I was in rush hour in Dallas for the first time. A car stopped in front of me and I skidded into them. Unibody construction is almost impossible to repair( all the American manufacturers were cutting corners in that era So I finally had to trade her in for a POS that was a Chevy Monza.

My first car

Was a 69 Barracuda formula "S", it was 6 years old when I got it and must have been owned by a hippie or a pimp at one time as it took me almost two weeks to get all the purple fun fur and glue off the dash!

Later I began modifying it. Ended up with a hand made aluminum cross ram intake sporting twin Holley 4barrels and dual turbochargers and dual NO2 injectors.

There were a group of us back then, mostly aviation mechanics and machinists that built some wild cars back then. Had one guy with a 66 Chrysler Imperial that loved telling people he had a Mustang engine under the hood but neglect to tell anyone what kind of Mustang it came out of, he never would tell us where he found that V12 Merlin engine :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

MUSTANG ENGINE MY A$$

wolfjess7's picture

V-12 Merlin is a Mustang engine sure. If you're counting the "P-51 Mustang" as part of the Mustang family.(giggles) that engine had to be Air Force surplus.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

It was quite funny

Some hot rod kid would pull up and want to race one of us and the guy with the Imperial would always jump first "I'll race you!"

Then of course the gullible... I mean uninformed kid would ask, "What's it got under the hood?"

And his response was always, "An engine out of a Mustang." While the rest of us would do our best to hold a straight face. The flight jackets and things like that we had should have given them a little bit of a clue that we were not automotive mechanics.

One day I out ran this Porche when my friend and I were driving back down from Miami, miles down the road he caught up to me and asked to see under the hood. When he saw what was under the hood he asked "What in the hell do you boys do for a living?"

Both of us grinning from ear to ear answered, "We're aircraft machinists"

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

the 3 people i learned never to screw in the military

wolfjess7's picture

I learned as a young private that there are 3 people in the military you never screw with. first is PURCOM they handle your paycheck and leave time. second was the cooks. It should take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Last was any machinist worth a damned. Most of those guys just love to rework engines for fun.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Used to get a lot of work

From other guys on base, mostly they would bring me 30 and 55 gal barrels or beer kegs and ask me to make barbecue grills out of them :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

You forgot the quartermaster.

You forgot the quartermaster. You must have loved uniforms that didn't fit :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Had a problem once

Had a problem once with one of those types. Thing is about those types is they tend to piss off quite a few people, people that when given a workable plan they can get away with for a really good laugh while at the same time get revenge, are more than willing to help.

Lets just say you really don't want a group of guys with a welder, an acetylene torch and case of super glue to turn your office upside down as you may come in the next morning to find your desk, everything on it and all your office furniture attached to the ceiling upside down.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

He probably picked it up in

He probably picked it up in Canada.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

could be?

Due to the classification of the planes we worked on, if one had trouble and had to land elsewhere, we had to go wherever it was to fix it. So we flew all around the world a bit, most of the time it was fun, and no one said anything if we loaded some extra things we found on board our plane.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

As the engines were made for

As the engines were made for the RAF, the RCAF probably ended up with some of them.

Also, it might not have been an actual "Merlin" engine. It may have been a Packard V-1650, licensed from Rolls-Royce. (I had to look it up. I knew that there was one made in the US, but I couldn't remember the manufacturer).


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Well, the Packard engines

Well, the Packard engines were probably readily available in the US. For a Rolls-Royce engine, those were British production. They'd look the same, but the difference was 'Merlin' vs 'Packard'. So, if he had a Merlin, it would probably have been obtained through Canada, where they'd have been surplussing the RCAF supplies.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I thought you had good points

I thought you had good points, personally.

I was only adding information.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I’ve never been a big Dodge or Mopar fan......

D. Eden's picture

But the Viper GTS was a nice car. Of course, I’d take a Ford GT40 over the Viper any day. Or a Shelby Daytona.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I would love to have the GT40

wolfjess7's picture

I have always loved the GT40. Sadly, most GT40 on the road are continuation models, replicas and modernizations. There are 4 or 5 companies that specialize in the GT40. The main reason I picked the Viper GTS was because of its rarity. There were only only 1166 of the GTS produced in '96. According to the Dodge Viper database there are only 782 of those cars still on the road. Of those 438 are in privet hands. The rest are in museum collections.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Try finding something with a

Try finding something with a flathead V8-60 anymore.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

In the words of great man

wolfjess7's picture

Not on your life! Are you kidding me?!

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Rare

Yes, that probably would be one rare piece, stock 1932 Ford either roadster or coupe definitely not a sedan. Too many of those have been hot rodded and not able to be returned to stock form. Even some of the engines are hard to find without modifications.

I know, I know!

Where a pristine stock 32 ford coup is and the last time I saw it it still had under 20,000 miles on it. Also in the same town is a "Tin Lizzy" with even less miles on it, it's sitting in the showroom floor of the Ford dealership.

As for flat head ford engines couple junkyards full of them in that same area as they were all pulled out and replaced by the more powerful Cadillac engines of the day in the moonshiner's cars.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

At 20,000 miles, that means

At 20,000 miles, that means it was ready for a full engine rebuild.

The materials science wasn't as good, nor were tolerances as tight. On the other hand, the engines could be rebuilt in a matter of a few hours with simple tools found at home, rather than taking a few hours just to remove from the engine compartment.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Oh, I got to drive a Model T,

Oh, I got to drive a Model T, at Greenfield Village, in Detroit. That sucker handles like a horse on ice skates, on a soggy pond.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I know, I know!

Where a pristine stock 32 ford coup is and the last time I saw it it still had under 20,000 miles on it. Also in the same town is a "Tin Lizzy" with even less miles on it, it's sitting in the showroom floor of the Ford dealership.

As for flat head ford engines couple junkyards full of them in that same area as they were all pulled out and replaced by the more powerful Cadillac engines of the day in the moonshiner's cars.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

A lot of the engines ended up

A lot of the engines ended up in the bullring racers - the midget race cars that proliferated after WW-II and through the 60's. Most of them used the V8-60, because it was ubiquitous in pre-WW-II era cars, and post WW-II for a short time. Easy to rebuild, small enough to fit into what was, at that time, a tiny one person race car. Definitely a LOT cheaper than an Offenhauser.

Could you see the damage Bobbie could do with an unblown Offey in a street race? They _owned_ the Indy for years.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

hmm why does the song Rev on

hmm why does the song Rev on the Red Line suddenly come to mind.

Darlington Raceway has a few nicknames.

wolfjess7's picture

Dorothy, 'the Lady' is what a lot of locals in Darlington call the NASCAR raceway. It is short for 'the Lady in Black'. Another it 'the track too tuff to tame'. The nicknames the raceway earned because of the asphalt construction of the racing surface and unique, somewhat egg-shaped design, an oval with the ends of very different configurations, a condition which supposedly arose from the proximity of one end of the track to a minnow pond the owner refused to relocate. This situation makes it very challenging for the crews to set up their cars' handling in a way that will be effective at both ends.. The most common nickname for the raceway 'Is the track too tuff to tame.' Main because of all the wrecks that happen during a race.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

you can take a car from a racer, But

You can never the the Racer from a Car.
Of course Bobby's first question would be if the Lady was open. I just wonder if the Beauty will show all of the beast on the track.

Wolfjess thank you for sharing another part of this beautiful Saga with us here.

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

From GM to Chrysler

How much 'shine can you fit in the trunk? I would have guessed an Olds 442 with the Hurst package

flashy cars...

... got you noticed. the General Lee form the Duke's of Hazard TV show looked cool, but a flashy one of a kind car like that meant the law could just go over to your house and wait for you to return to arrest you.

No your shine runners used run of the mill sedans like the Chevy Impala, Ford Falcon with the largest engine they could shoe-horn in and beefed up rear suspension so the rear didn't sag under the weight.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Heheh. My mother's from

Heheh. My mother's from West Virginia. The people you could spot from miles away were the feds. They could see them turning off of the main road from up the mountain, and then waited to hear whose still got shot up.

Most of the 'shine up that way was transported by beat up pickup truck. Just one more truck full of stuff moving from farm to farm.... Nothing to see...


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Bobbie's alternative

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Went to see Avenger's Endgame this weekend.... At the mall where the theater is, a group of classic cars were there. One of them was a gorgeous Tempest sitting next to a so-so LeMans. Either of them would make a good sister car to Bobbie's Judge. Should be easy enough to set up very similar if not identically.

Actually thought about

wolfjess7's picture

I actually thought about going with either the Tempest or LeMans of the same year as Bobbie's Judge. Then I found out just how hard it is to find either of the two cars. (especially for that yr.) Most are so protected by their owners it is not even funny. Mostly do to the popularity they have gained through certain car movies over the last few years. Mostly because they were used as replacement stunt cars for the actual movie cars.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

early 90s

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Had a friend in the early 90s that cut rear quarters off a LeMans to make front fenders for a tempest. If you didn't know, it was hard to tell. Those cars are more interchangeable than any other car I know of, even more so than Mustangs and Capris

Two words

Plymouth Roadrunner

Meep-Meep!


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Meep-Meep Review

I'll always remember on a car magazine's review of the Road Runner. Car & Driver I think, but that was a L-O-N-G time ago. Talking about the trick horn they came equipped with, he said the horn was 'great for annoying the br**ds (the car hops) at the drive-in but useless for moving a semi out of the way on the highway'.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I've read up on it. It was

I've read up on it. It was a sleeper car, but under the hood and with the suspension, it was a road racer ready to rumble- and still readily available today (relatively speaking)

As for horns? I've found most horns are extremely ignorable.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.