What Milsy Did -33-

Printer-friendly version

Milsy's day is disturbed by a call for help from three guildsmen who are installing the steam engine which will pump water in the High Tower. What she discovers causes great concern and also upsets her usual calm disposition. Tarvan's presence is required to restore order - and prevent a disaster.

grakh on parchment

What Milsy Did

by Penny Lane

33 - The Steam Engine


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2019 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


"And then, if possible," Vern said, "it would be useful if we could be able to at least hear alarms in the corner post up there."

The Quadrant pointed up at the small enclosed post which was situated on top of the walkway where the side wall met the rear wall.

Milsy looked at Senidet. "That is a long way to run wires, I deem, even if it is only three this time. Mayhap your idea of putting the wires into grooves in wood planks can be tried all the way out here."

Milsy, Senidet, Bursila and Molleena were standing together with Vern right at the far end of the palace field, at the rear of the complex. They had spent the morning examining carriage stores, stables and barracks before finally arriving as far away as they could without leaving the grounds altogether.

"As you say, Milsy," Senidet agreed. "It is a long way, though, and how are we to fix the wire-carriers to the walls? Must we needs speak with the masons?"

Milsy absentmindedly glanced at the Clock Tower, which was even now having scaffolding erected so that lightning conductors could be added to it. The masons, who had been involved in adding such conductors to the High Tower, would be doing the bulk of the work.

"Hmm? Oh, yes, probably. They will need to fix in some wood blocks to which we can screw the wire-carriers. It is the kind of thing they do all the time, so I believe." She scowled. "What worries me is that we will need to put a repeater box somewhere, and I am not certain that one repeater box will do, all the way down here. Worse, it will have to repeat in both directions, if the guard on the walls is to be able to send alarms as well as hear them."

"Oh! Aye, of course. Is that going to be a problem?"

"I do not think so, but I will have to go back to the laboratory and draw some diagrams to make sure."

"Well, Mistress," Vern said, "if it will be a difficult thing to do, then of course we may do without it, as we have already done these several hundred years. It just occurred to me that, if we are to put these... switch panels and status boards about the palace, that they should all be of the same design, so that the men will be familiar with all once they are familiar with one."

Milsy nodded. "I agree, Quadrant, since it will also be simpler to make one cabinet design than to make several slightly different designs, which will only confuse everybody who has to use them. It means that looking after them will be easier too. For now, let us assume that our wires will reach to the corners of the walls as you desire. Can you think of any other place they should be put?"

Vern mumbled to himself. "Rear corners... barracks... Stables... Large Training Room... Armory... two side gates... downstairs Ready Room... three upstairs Ready Rooms... two front sentry posts. Fifteen, I deem. I cannot think of anywhere else one must needs be."

Milsy smiled at him. "How about the Great Tower, with your watch post on top of it? And I am sure you would desire one in your offices, would you not?"

"Why, of course! Thanks to you, Mistress, for remembering the most important places of all. Aye, those places will be essential to your scheme."

"Milsy," Senidet ventured, "if I may ask, have you yet considered the fire switches?"

"Oh! No, indeed I have not, Senidet. Quadrant, from your panels anyone might be permitted to raise an alarm of fire, but we briefly spoke of other places where separate fire switches might be required, such as the kitchens and parts of the Armory."

"As you say," Vern said. "Shall we return to the palace? It is cold out here. We may take a route past the kitchen and consider where best such a switch might be placed -"

* * *

"So I think that the best way would be to have a simple row of... knobs, perhaps, we could call them, in a flat box at waist height, and then run all the wires from that to the status cabinet, which can be placed higher and out of the way but still easy enough for everyone to see. The status cabinet will hold all the solenoids, wheels and suchlike to make the apparatus work. From each status cabinet to the central point, which I deem will be somewhere in the guard office, we will need only three wires."

Bassen scratched his chin. "Aye, I see what you mean, Milsy. With something like this, the more we can remove the temptation to touch, or to pry, the happier I will be." He smiled at her. "Of course, you no doubt realize that we must needs spend our time at the top of a ladder installing or maintaining these cabinets?"

She frowned. "As you say. I've also just realized that it would mean standing at the top of a ladder to replace the batteries, which might not be a sensible idea, even for those of us trained to do such tasks. Yet to make a separate battery box at floor level would mean even more wires. Hmm."

Senidet asked, "Is it necessary to have a battery box at every alarm point?"

The two looked at her. Milsy said, "Until we can find out why the electricity does not travel so far, then, sadly, yes it is, Senidet. I am assured that whatever is happening here does not happen on Earth, so we must be doing something wrong. I intend to ask Lady Garia but," she shrugged, "she has as much free time as we do these days."

Bassen asked, "And does not Tarvan have any idea? I understood that he learned electricity from Lady Garia long before you ever joined us, Milsy."

"Again, sadly, he does not, Bassen. Most of their experiments were done in the laboratory, where the short distances did not affect anything that happened. It is only when we began stringing long lengths of wire about the palace that we began to notice the problem. Now, Lady Garia has told us that on Earth wires can be run for very long distances, hundreds of marks at the very least. We do not know if there are special circumstances involved, which she has not mentioned to us yet - or that she does not know about."

"Ah, I see. So, battery boxes, then. I assume that we may use our existing cabinet designs?"

"I would think so. What we will be doing will be almost the same as the way the clocks work, and if the battery boxes are the same, there will be less chance of anything going wrong when somebody comes to change them for fresh ones."

Senidet frowned, then spoke. "Milsy, it seems to me that you would only need two wires from the battery box to the status cabinet, is that not so? There are switches in the battery cabinets, it is true, but they are merely to prevent somebody accidentally removing batteries both at once."

"You're right, Senidet! Come, let us go to the blackboard and sketch out some ideas."

Bassen smiled. "Ah, if you are going to make inscrutable drawings, then it is probably time I found something more useful to my trade to do. Begging your pardon, Milsy. I do not understand your diagrams at all."

Milsy smiled back. "As you wish, Bassen. The truth is, I can barely follow my own scribble, I do not expect many others to do so! If we come to some particular decision, I am sure that we will present you with such drawings that you will understand."

"Aye! I have no doubt of that!" The joiner gave them a wave and departed.

Milsy looked at Senidet. "Shall we get started?"

* * *

Milsy put down the chalk and turned to Senidet. "This is so frustrating! We have made a plan for the alarm system which I am sure will work, but until we have actually made some of the parts we will not know if our design is even possible. Your idea of a wheel to select the correct alarm, together with another wheel to sound that particular alarm about the palace, I see no reason why that should not work. If it does, it will save us having to install a large number of wires all over the building and grounds."

"Then why should not we make a prototype, Milsy? Is that not what guildsmen do, when trying something new? I know that my father always made a new design first, to test the making, before he would make anything for a customer."

"I agree. But this would not be merely making something from a plan, Senidet - like those boiler plans your father showed you. This is experimentation - we could end up making a number of different cabinets before we discovered one that worked the way we desired it to. That takes time and might be expensive. It was what we did when we first began playing with the clocks."

"But you have in the laboratory a box of spare clock parts, did you not say that we could use those? To find out how to send a number of..." Senidet paused, uncertain of what she was trying to describe. "Milsy, how would you name it, when the wire is switched on and off again, several times one after the other?"

"Hmm. When we began inventing the resetting parts for the clocks, I recall we named them pulses. Just as your own pulse is a particular amount of blood sent around your body, so we might speak of a pulse of electricity sent along a wire. To answer your question, then, you are right, we can probably do some experiments with whatever is on hand. I suspect, though, that we must needs soon obtain some more supplies from Pakh Lane."

She grinned. "I think you'll like Pakh Lane. It is full of workshops making all kinds of interesting things such as -"

Milsy's intended description of Pakh Lane did not happen as Tord appeared with a strange guildsman. He wore a leather apron which was heavily marked with ash and grease, and there was a strong smell of coal smoke about him.

"Mistress, this guildsman seeks Master Tarvan. I am not certain where he is today but I thought that you might know."

"Indeed, Tord, and thank you."

Tord nodded and departed. The guildsman looked around him with interest.

"I am Guildswoman Milsy and this is Apprentice Senidet," she announced. "If I may ask your name?"

"Uh, Guildsman Harder, Mistress, Metalsmith, Steam Department." He regarded them with suspicion. "I have never seen a woman with a guild badge before and yet here I see two, two who do not even look old enough to have earned them. What craft do you follow, that permits such young women to join?"

"We are of the same guild as your own, Master Harder. Guildmaster Parrel presented both of us with our badges himself. As to our specialty, it is electricity, but we know a little of many other crafts. You seek Craftmaster Tarvan? He presently attends a meeting at the Hall of the Guilds with Guildmaster Hurdin, but he should return for lunch unless there is some unusual delay. If I may ask what your business with him might be? We work closely together, I may be able to give answer."

Harder looked uncomfortable. "Ah... as you may see by my attire, I am one of a small party attempting to install the new steam engine for the water pumps. For some reason it does not work. I know that Tarvan is knowledgeable in the arts of the steam engine, I would seek his advice."

"Aye, he certainly is knowledgeable! He helped Guildmistress Garia to build the very first ever steam engine, and it presently resides in the laboratory next door, though now much improved from the original. Both Bursila and I can run that engine, and make minor adjustments." She smiled at the man. "If we may have a look at your problem? It may be something that is easy to miss."

"Well, I would rather speak with the Craftmaster, by your leave." Harder plainly did not think that two young girls, as he saw them, would be able to solve his problem.

"Then, I deem, you will be wasting your own time by waiting for him, since he will not be able to assist you until this afternoon, will he? Come, I know where the engine is, it will not take us long to go and see what your problem is."

Harder was aghast. "But... Mistress... none of you is suitably attired to go near the engine! The mess will damage your fine gowns!"

"We will go to look, Master Harder, not to crawl all over it. If it is something I can help with, why, both Bursila and I do have suitable attire for the purpose. If required we will return here and change, since I reside in the chambers next door. Shall that not satisfy you?"

"Who is Bursila? I thought you said your apprentice's name was Sen- Senny-"

"Senidet," Milsy finished for him, "and so it is. Senidet, however, is recently arrived at the palace and does not yet have the protective attire which I wear when required, and which my companion and assistant Bursila," Milsy gestured, "may also wear."

Harder 's eyebrows rose. "You have an assistant - of course you do, you both do, you are of course maidens." He sighed in frustration. "Since you will not be denied, Mistress, and you appear to be members of my guild in good standing, it seems that I must needs permit you to attend the engine. If you would follow me, then."

The guildsman led the way out into the corridor, where he was met with an enquiring glance from Tord as the women followed him.

"Tord, Master Harder is involved in the commissioning of the new steam engine for the water pumps," Milsy informed him. Tord nodded. "There is some problem, and Tarvan is at that meeting with Master Hurdin, so we are going to take a look."

"Of course, Mistress."

Harder's eyes nearly fell out. "You have your own escort? How is this possible? Or... are you under some kind of restriction?"

Milsy grinned. "Aye, these fine fellows must needs follow me everywhere, since I bear a strong resemblance to Lady Garia, the Guildmistress. The King considers that, since we look alike, we would be in similar danger, and I need not remind you of recent events. If you would lead the way."

With a sharp glance at the guardsmen, Harder led the small group along the corridors to the doorway which led into the large chamber at the base of the High Tower. Inside, Milsy noted that the alterations being made during her last visit seemed to be complete, and that four men, two on each treadmill, were laboriously pumping water from the palace's main well. Senidet appeared to be interested in the treadmills and other apparatus there.

"Senidet, if we manage to find a moment to spare after looking at the steam engine, I will describe to you all that is in this chamber."

Harder looked at Milsy sharply, but said nothing as he led them across the floor and through the door on the far side. Instead of climbing the spiral stair, as if to go to the lookout post, he led them through one of the other doors in the smaller chamber and out into the courtyard behind the tower. Milsy instinctively looked up.

"Ah, I see they have finished fitting the lightning rods."

"Aye, Mistress Milsy," a voice came from her other side. She turned to see one of the masons studying the walls of the tower.

"Master Kornik, good morning."

"Good morning to you, Milsy," he replied. "I am just checking that nothing has been left undone before we properly begin work on the Clock Tower. I see that your interest today is in the steam engine rather than our lightning rods. Shall we see you ascend yonder tower when we are working on the rods? That trick of your has made welding the joints so much easier, I deem."

"Always glad to be of some help, Master Kornik. We are somewhat busy today, perhaps we will come another time."

"As you say. Well, I'd better let you get on with your work, as I must do mine." He gave a brief bob of the head. "Milsy, Harder."

As Kornik turned away to inspect the far wall of the High Tower, Harder turned to Milsy with a look of astonishment.

"What means he? What have you to do with the welding experiments? What are lightning rods and why would they require welding?"

She tried to appear nonchalant. "Oh, I offered my advice while they were fixing the ironwork about this tower," she explained. "There was an easier way to weld the sockets to the iron strap that runs around the tower above. As for the lightning rods, it would probably be better if we attended the steam engine first, would it not? I can explain later, after your problem has been solved."

The steam engine had been placed in an open-sided lean-to which had been built against one of the rooms which surrounded this particular courtyard. Milsy noticed that, unusually, the courtyard did not have the customary cloisters but plain building sides exposed to the elements. Two men stood up as she followed Harder across to the lean-to.

"What's this? You were supposed to bring back that Craftmaster, Harder, not a bunch of women! What are we supposed to do with them? Watch them dance?"

Harder's tone was sour. "Apparently, Craftmaster Tarvan meets this day with Guildmaster Hurdin at the Hall of the Guilds." He gestured at Milsy and Senidet. "These two, however, claim to be guild members, and even to know how these steam engines work."

The two men were skeptical. One muttered, "Guild members? They are but girls! Even if they had been admitted, they could yet be only apprentices, and neither has the build for engine work."

Milsy stood in front of him. "Master, I do not know who you are or what rank you hold but you can see that I bear a guild badge upon my chest. If you would read it."

The man did so. "Guildswoman, and number two? How is this possible?"

She said sharply, "Did you think that Lady Garia would be the only one? You dismiss the female half of Palarand at your peril, Master Guildsman. I have a special position, it is true, but my guild status has been fairly earned. If you require confirmation you have only to ask my guildmaster and yours, Guildmaster Parrel. I am Milsy, and I am accompanied, as any maiden must needs be, by my companion and assistant Bursila, who also holds a guild rank. With me today is Senidet, daughter of Blackstone's smith, who is recently arrived in the palace with Lady Garia's party and is apprenticed to her. Maid Molleena attends Senidet today."

Milsy did not like dropping names but felt it important on this occasion to establish her position. The man was astonished, but gave her a short bow.

"I did not believe... is this to be the future of guilds now? That they permit children?"

She began to get annoyed. "We are both accounted adult, Master Guildsman. Now, if you would tell me your names, we can begin to find out what is wrong with your engine."

"I ask your pardon, Mistress! I am Chappen and my friend there is Holk. What is it you desire to know?"

"Harder said you have a problem. If you would explain."

"Uh, we finished assembling the engine, as you may see, since it had to be completely dismantled to fit it through the palace corridors in order to bring it here. Having built it again, our next job, therefore, is to test it, but it does not work. We have filled the boiler with water and we know the fire beneath causes steam to be produced, but nothing else happens."

"Um. Have you set the regulator right? I am not familiar with so large an engine, it is possible that there are differences to the smaller ones. Does the safety valve work? Is the steam coming along the pipes as far as the piston? Might there be some blockage?"

"Well... the safety valve? Which one is that?"

A shocked Milsy spun, to look at the top of the boiler. There she saw the safety valve gently issuing steam in a normal manner. She turned back, furious.

"Do you seek to mock me, gentlemen? If you cannot treat me as my guild badge requires, I shall have you ejected from the palace. Master Parrel will learn of this stupidity!"

Chappen smiled and relaxed. "Oh, how will you have us ejected, Mistress? We are here on Guild business, you know that none may interfere."

Milsy pointed a finger. "Those men will eject you, Chappen. If I ask for something to be done by His Majesty's men, you may be certain it will be done, and it will have the approval of Captain Merek."

The guildsmen swung round to see the four guardsmen standing by the tower door, watching the proceedings with interest. Chappen stood up straighter, his expression now more serious. The others also paid her more attention.

For her part, Milsy realized that she had risen to the guildsmen's bait, something she should have expected, given the circumstances. Two young women, claiming to know all and interfering with something they probably didn't know anything about. I should know better by now.

"Enough of this," she said, shortly. "We have work to do. Senidet, walk you round the engine, see if you may see anything amiss. I will check this side."

"Aye, Milsy."

The engine was one of the newer designs, and because of its size was made from steel plates which had been shaped and riveted together. The boiler was about half a stride wide and about two strides long. It was mounted on two heavy baulks of wood which raised it up to about her waist level. She thought this might make it easier to load fuel and to operate. As on the engine in the workshop, the firebox was inside the boiler but there were doors which could be closed to ensure heat was not wasted. The chimney came out of the smokebox at the far end and went up at an angle to clear the roof of the shack.

Milsy's eyes narrowed. Hmm. Something we never thought of! The smoke is going to block the view from the High Tower, some of the time. I wonder if Captain Merek has realized?

The piston arrangement was different, with one each side in a vertical position. These drove rockers that in turn drove a flywheel on each side, with the joining axle running under the boiler. There was a duplicate set of valve gear on each side, and she moved closer to take a look.

"Careful, Mistress, else you soil your gown."

Another irritation. "Thank you, I will take care."

Something didn't look right about the valve gear, but as she turned to ask a question Senidet appeared and beat her to it.

"Master, if I may refresh my memory from the drawings which came with the engine."

The three looked at each other and finally Harder spoke. "Aye, what can it hurt? Find them, Holk. They should be around that end somewhere."

After looking over their tools and other gear, a sheaf of scruffy paper was discovered in the bag of one of the men. Holk passed it to Senidet, who began looking through it while the others observed with interest. After leafing through several pages, she looked up.

"Masters, a sheet is missing. It is to do with the testing, I deem. As I recall, it is necessary to check that the pistons and valve gear run freely by turning the flywheels - before any water is loaded or the fire is lit."

The mouths of the three men were open with shock. Not only had this girl read the instructions, she had apparently memorized enough from a previous occasion to know that a sheet was missing!

"How do you know a sheet is missing, Mistress?" Harder asked, puzzled.

"At the bottom of each sheet is a page number. See, here is page ten, the next page is numbered thirteen, meaning eleven and twelve - two sides of the same sheet - are not here."

Chappen said, "The instructions may have been dropped, Mistress. Are the missing pages elsewhere in your hand?"

Senidet frowned but leafed through to make sure she had not made an embarrassing mistake. "No, Master, they are not here at all. I could not say what your problem is, Master, but if a page or two is missing some essential task may not have been done, or done wrongly."

"I'll add to that," Milsy said. "I think there is something wrong with the valve gear. If I may suggest, you should put out the fire and release the pressure before you do any further investigations. It may have been a problem like this that got a man killed over at the new blast furnace site."

Harder nodded, now understanding that the two girls did know something of the subject. "As you suggest, Mistress. Holk, rake out that fire into the ash bucket, if you would. Chappen, open the drain valve to help release the pressure."

The boiling water shot out of the drain valve with great force to begin with and sprayed all over the paved courtyard before going down several of the many drainage slots. Fortunately nobody was splashed, but Milsy noted that no warning had been issued before the valve had been opened.

This crew are either slack or do not know what they are doing. Master Parrel must needs know of this. Such stupidity will get someone injured or killed!

She looked at the engine through the haze of released steam and wondered how to approach the next step. The men seemed resistant and might not take her instructions seriously. Her thoughts were broken by the chimes from the nearby Clock Tower.

"Mistress, it is half a bell before lunch," Bursila told her. "What shall you do?"

An interesting question, and one which again threatens our position, since we must needs return to our chambers and make ready, whereas these three can carry on until it is nearly lunchtime and then just stroll in as they are.

Sometime, just sometimes, I wish I might have been a man...

Milsy turned to Harder. "If I may ask, where do you take your meals while you attend the palace? Do you bring your own lunch?"

"Mistress, the first day we brought our own lunch, not knowing the customs, as it were, but the mason there showed us where the palace guildsmen usually take their meals, so we have joined them there ever since. Better food, too. Why, is there some problem? Did you desire to continue looking for what is wrong with the engine instead?"

"Oh... I was just thinking, it won't be possible to do much until the engine cools down, which will take us to lunchtime, and then we must needs take our nap... Do you nap?"

"Aye, Mistress, in the heat of the afternoon, of course. There is room in the engine shed out of the sun for the three of us." He considered. "Mistress, you are suggesting that we leave the engine now and begin again after our naps, is that so?"

"I am," she smiled, "and by then Craftmaster Tarvan should be available to help us all."

"Done, Mistress. We will look forward to your return... and to greet Craftmaster Tarvan."

He thinks I have just gotten myself out of an awkward position... Grrr! Men!

* * *

Since Milsy resided as close to the Family Dining Room as it was possible to get, she was usually one of the first to arrive for most meals. After taking her customary glance at the clock to assure herself that everything was still functioning as it should, she paced nervously in front of the windows waiting for Tarvan to come. Senidet, Bursila and Molleena watched her with concern. From time to time others arrived, and she turned at every sound from the doors, but the room began filling up and it looked like Tarvan was going to be delayed - yet again.

Garia, Keren, Merizel and Eriana appeared together, obviously discussing something of importance. Garia waved to Milsy but the four - and four maids - continued their conversation in a separate group. Gullbrand and Lars came almost immediately afterwards and headed for Garia's group. Eventually the King and Queen arrived, and with them was Tarvan. He gave the royal couple a nod and a smile to end their conversation and strode across to join Milsy.

"Hello again!" His smile vanished as he took note of her expression. "What is the matter?"

She wanted to just wrap herself around him but that wasn't possible, not in front of everyone.

"Difficult morning," she said shortly. "Shall we find seats? There is a problem you must needs know, with the new steam engine for the High Tower pumps."

"Ah? Look - there are four, there. Senidet, you take this side, we'll go around to the other side."

Nothing more was said until they had nearly finished their food, the time being taken up with light conversation about general matters of palace interest. Once Tarvan had eaten his last mouthful, though, and leaned back with his goblet of wine, he turned to Milsy.

"So, the steam engine. How did you become involved in that? Were you surveying for ways to run wires?"

"No, indeed, Tarvan, though we did spend some time at the bottom of the field earlier this morning. Senidet and I were in the study thinking about how the alarm panels might work when a guildsman came looking for you. Apparently there is some problem with the engine and he thought that, as you had been involved in the early development, you might be able to help them."

She then described what had happened when she and Senidet had set forth to take a look.

"Tarvan, they made me look like the sort of little girl who stamps her feet when she doesn't get what she wants. I was so furious and that worries me."

His voice was low. "Kalikan?"

"To me? Never! But I know what you mean, and I know what men think. Tarvan, we have to solve this, or no-one will respect anything that either Senidet or myself says."

"As you say. They should not have treated you so, and I will tell them that myself... but I deem you may also have a problem."

"Aye. But let us return to the steam engine. Their attitude is so casual, I am not surprised that the thing does not work! We were lucky they did not scald anyone when they drained the boiler."

"And there is something wrong? It is not just a question of them not operating it properly?"

Senidet spoke up. "Master Tarvan, it seemed to Milsy that the valve gear looked wrong. I could not prove it, since a sheet of the assembly instructions was missing."

"Then we had better take a look, after our naps."

Milsy asked, "This engine is one of the newer steel ones, Tarvan. Are there differences in the design from what we know?"

"I would imagine so," he answered. "I had not had a chance to take a close look at any examples of this design, if they are what you say."

"It is the first time either of us have seen one so large."

"Then," he smiled at her, "no doubt we will all learn more in the next few bells."

* * *

The three guildsmen were again open mouthed as Tarvan, Milsy, Senidet, Bursila and Molleena emerged from the door at the base of the High Tower. Tarvan was wearing a boiler suit and both Milsy and Bursila were wearing their leather inventor's outfits. The outfit intended for Senidet had not yet been finished so both she and Molleena were wearing cleaning dresses, but with house coats for added warmth.

"I am Craftmaster Tarvan," he announced as he joined the three men. "I understand that you men have difficulty believing the abilities of my two guildswomen. Is that so?"

Harder nodded his head to Tarvan. "Craftmaster, it is so. We are not used to seeing any so young with such ranks - and, if I may, that includes yourself. How is this possible? I cannot believe that any of you have even served a full apprenticeship."

"Well, guildsman, I have, and I have done my years as a journeyman too. There are several reasons for our seeming youth and they are all different. However, we all bear guild badges and, whatever our ages might appear, you have been taught to respect the badge until shown differently.

"In addition, Milsy and Senidet are among the first women to become guild members and I can assure you that there will be many more. Senidet is yet an apprentice but she has spent all her life at her father's forge, so probably knows more of the art than you do, even if she has not the build to swing a heavy hammer. Milsy, well, Milsy is a member of the Electrical Department and has recently designed a new clock system for the palace. She has abilities that are only surpassed by those of the Guildmistress. Do I make myself clear?"

"Aye, Craftmaster." The three men were sober now.

"Which brings me to the present problem, your engine. I am told that when you drained the boiler, you let the hot water spray out without warning any. Is this true?"

Chappen said, "There were no-one in the way, Craftmaster. It didn't seem that important."

"And you filled the boiler with water and fired it before testing that the linkages ran freely."

"Aye..." Harder said, but added, "It seems that a page or two were missing from the instructions, Craftmaster. We weren't to know."

Now Tarvan became annoyed. "You should know better! Are you men of the Steam Department? Do they not train you to take care when you install such an engine? A mistake like that could have gotten one or more of you killed! You don't need instructions to know that the pistons and valves should be tested before ever water or coal goes near any boiler!"

Harder's eyes dropped. "Aye, Craftmaster, it is true. But these were not to know, they are new to the department."

"Even so, it is your responsibility, Harder, if you are in charge. Guildmaster Parrel must needs know of your poor attitude and lack of knowledge." He turned. "Now, let us find out what is wrong here. Where are the instructions?"

They were handed over and Tarvan began reading. "Ah, I see. Because there are two pistons, the valve gear is duplicated on each side, and one is assembled as a mirror to the other. Let me see."

He inspected both sides of the now-cold engine, checking the valve gear several times before returning to the others.

"There is a part missing. That is why the flywheels would not go round, and thus the engine would not start. Two of the links on this side have been bolted together, bending both, when an extra link should have joined them. I am guessing that when the engine was dismantled to bring it into the courtyard, that part may have gone missing... and so may some other parts.

He turned to the women. "Right, it is time for us to go to work. Milsy? Senidet? Attend me. We will partially strip down the engine, see what else may be amiss. You men, I would not ask you to join us since you appear not to know what you are doing."

It sometimes required two of the women, working together, to shift some of the fixings with the heavy wrenches used by the men, but once started the work proceeded without too many problems. Soon, a whole line of parts was spread out on the flagstones of the courtyard. The men could only look on glumly as the women showed that they were indeed capable of dismantling a steam engine.

"There is a part missing from the water injector, Tarvan. I think the boiler could be filled the usual way to start with, but once the pressure built up it would have been impossible to add any more. Look!"

"Aye, I see it, Milsy. Apart from that, it is only the valve link which is missing, but the bending of the two other links is inexcusable. These parts are all made to exact dimensions! If something does not fit, there will be some good reason why." He turned to the men. "You should have stopped at that point and asked for assistance. Since you did not, I deem that I can no longer trust you with the construction and operation of this engine. Collect your things and depart the palace, if you would. A report will be sent to Guildmaster Parrel concerning this happening."

Harder's eyes were downcast. "As you command, Craftmaster."

The group watched as the three men collected their tools, packed up their bags and departed.

Milsy realized it first. "Tarvan, they have gone off with all the tools! What are we to do? We cannot now assemble the engine as it should be done."

"Aye, I did not think of that. Mayhap they consider they have paid us back for ending their job for them." He shrugged. "It is done now. Let us make all tidy against the weather and go inside to clean ourselves up. I will send out to the Steam Department for tools and complete instructions... and, perhaps, men who do know what they are doing. For ourselves, we can do no more until the morning."

"As you say. I do not want to think what would have happened if they had let the pressure build up until the boiler burst."

Tarvan's expression was grim. "One such accident is enough, and that was caused by ignorance of the danger. Today's problem is the result of poor workmanship, I deem. That we can do something about."

* * *

Captain Merek joined Milsy and Senidet as they waited for the rest of the diners to arrive for the evening meal. "Mistress, I hear there was a problem today with the pump engine."

"As you say, Captain. The men were not fit to install the engine properly and Tarvan had to dismiss them. Parts had been damaged or lost and there was almost an accident. But my own problem was much earlier, when Senidet and I first met them. They did not believe two women so young could hold guild rank, and also be knowledgeable about their craft." She flushed. "Captain, they baited me and I responded poorly. I threatened to have Tord eject them and I should not."

Merek gave a small smile. "Mistress, I know that you do not have the temper Lady Garia is said to have but all of us react differently to taunts and baiting. Know you that all His Majesty's men have suffered the same from time to time and they are taught to overcome their instinctive reactions, lest it interferes with their duty. I also know that you would not threaten without cause and that I would defend your decisions whatever they might be. I know your worth as they did not."

"Captain! You cannot possibly -"

"Ah, but I do, Mistress. I know you have the trust of Their Majesties and I know that you are unlikely to do very much that any would disagree with."

"Thank you, Captain. I'll try not to cause any trouble in future."

He smiled. "Aye, Mistress, no doubt you will try. Now, I wondered how your investigations into the alarm system are proceeding?"

"I can give you a quick report now, Captain, before everyone arrives, but I am in turn awaiting a report from Bassen as to how much work it will be to make the cabinets and other woodwork and install them before writing down any numbers."

"Of course. A short report would be useful to me today, though. I have to speak to the King later and I can inform him of progress."

"As you say. Well, I have now spoken to all the Quadrants and it was Vern who had the most suggestions to offer. He said that -"

* * *

Milsy wrapped her arms around Tarvan's waist and rested her head on his chest. His arms closed around her shoulders.

"Tough day, my love?"

"Aye. Tarvan, I became so furious today, and I should not. I do not like myself when that happens, though it does not happen often, thank the Maker."

"I asked earlier, and I'll ask again, is it not Kalikan? I am told that the moods of some women change greatly at that time."

"I do not think so, Tarvan. I cannot remember it happening in such a way before. Besides, those men did it deliberately, I am sure of it."

"Of course they would, being faced with someone so young-looking as yourself and Senidet, who is even younger than you. As Lady Garia has said, it is the attitudes of ages that we must overcome, for men to see women differently in future. You are among the first of a new breed and I doubt not your task will be difficult. Do you have second thoughts about what has happened to you?"

"Me? Second thoughts? No, indeed, Tarvan! I realize now that I was wasted in that kitchen, my light hidden under a cooking-pot. All Palarand is better because I am here, and doing what I am, and I only desire to do more." She looked up at him. "With you by my side, I am certain there is much more we may do. Much, much more."

"Maker!" He murmured with a smile. "Does Anmar yet know what has been unleashed upon it? I wonder what the future will bring us."

"So do I! Won't it be fun?"

He leaned down to kiss her.

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good update, and I believe

Good update, and I believe that in a situation like this, Milsy was perfectly right to threaten to have them ejected. They were materially threatening the construction of the tower itself, by failing to properly assemble and test the boiler. If I were there, as soon as they drained the boiler without as much as a warning, I'd have had them ejected as not having a clue as to what they were doing.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I would have had them ejected

For not being able to identify the safety valve or not checking to make sure they had every page of the manual, and clearly not reading it as they went. I honestly don't know which is worse, this isn't a piece of furniture, this is something that you should be expected to consult the manual for the first time you are building it and the thousandth time.

Or the more standard meme

Man reassembles something, finds ‘leftover’ parts and just throws them away.

‘Instructions? Who needs instructions?’ seems to be a time honored male tradition ^_~

I'm not sure

I kinda got the idea the bit about the safety valve was them "testing" Milsey. (I'll ask her where the safety valve is! I bet she won't know!)

I also suspect there wasn't much in the way of manuals prior to Garia's arrival. Craft secrets, you know. Everybody jealously guarding the little scraps of knowledge they acquired.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Doesn't matter

If there wasn't much in the way of manuals before or if they were testing Milsey, you don't mess around with equipment that can have exciting failures like that

I have gotten a taste of that

I was at MakerSpace when a guy started mansplaining on something I had just told him about, I just smiled and walked away, Some men can not help themselves. In a backhanded way it was a compliment, as I was being accepted as a woman.

Compliment?

More backhanded than compliment, IMHO.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Appendices updated

... for another excellent chapter.

milsy putting her foot down

great to see a new chapter of milsy I just love all the stories of anmar just keep them coming
lots of hugs. susan_h

Steam engine and AC for alarms

That boiler is just small enough to fit through doors... Can't tell if its two engines or a double expansion, i am guessing double expansion, at the rate they are building them bigger, they will need to look into auto stokers before long.

If she has a source of AC it might be easier to do the alarms with that, though it would be pretty different from the clocks...

Steam engine

Yes, the boiler would likely have fit through the necessary doors, but not the whole engine while assembled. I haven't given the dimensions of the flywheels, but based on museum samples here they are likely to be a stride to a stride and a half (40" to 60") in diameter. With one fixed either side of the boiler, that would make it an uncomfortable move.

Penny

I imagine when they build a

I imagine when they build a proper boiler room/power house, the boiler will be converted into a water heater...

Boiler rooms

They already have boiler rooms.

Where do you think all that bath water comes from?

Penny

Meant more large scale with

Meant more large scale with engine and radiator pipes. Not just for hot water. Closer to what you would see on a steam ship.

Remember, the Romans built

Remember, the Romans built hypocaust systems that were HUGE. There are probably the remains of such, ready for re-use for steam heat, etc.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Trick is getting a large

Trick is getting a large boiler there, plus I would have thought you would want something like that near the workshop area, for access to supplies and to give the workshops easier access to power in the form of piped steam, electricity and line shaft.

Awesome

Just Awesome! Oh I do believe that Milsey ought to have had them thrown out of the castle as well. A catastrophic boiler failure could have brought down the tower... Okay, probably not but it certainly would have done the structure no good! I do hope they do a safety review on the engine and the damaged parts and demote that master to latrine duty for a few months at least!

Boiler problems

There are likely to be repercussions from this episode. I just haven't decided how much and what yet.

I doubt that we have seen the last of Harder, he is that kind of person.

Penny

Harder

True.

One cannot become a disruptor without making a few enemies.

Milsy does not have the level of protection that Garia has, in a non-physical sense, so she should be on her guard.

Nice to see boths legs are running again

I was just starting to see if I could help with a start up sequence. And I have now started to use the WIN 7 only for the full Milsy part. I will just long for the next chapter.
Best greetings from Sweden and
Ginnie

GinnieG

Thank you Penny

It has taken awhile for me to get into What Milsy Did.. I was originally thinking this would water down my enjoyment of SEE. Boy; was I wrong!
Loved how this exposed even more of this wonderful universe.
Thanks again
a

alissa

Thank you

Hey! Nice to hear that somebody is reading some of my other Anmar threads.

Regrettably, work on Milsy has been stopped for the present due to pressure of... well, everything else, really. There is still background work going on and I hope to resume this tale sometime next year.

One of the problems writing Milsy is that part of the story is already told. That means that I have to carefully cross-reference everything that is said or done against what is "already known". I have in fact tripped myself up once with Milsy (but I don't think anyone has noticed!). What this means is that WMD is very much slower to write than any of the other tales, as I have to make sure it all fits together.

Once the story reaches past the point where Garia departs, then I am to a certain extent freer to write as I wish, although I will note that Milsy does pop up at the current end of Julia Phillips' Julina of Blackstone. So, then again, I will have to fit in with what has gone before!

Thank you again for your interest.

Penny

This is the comment....

Aine Sabine's picture

I was referring to in the Communications PM I sent you. But since it is about Milsy and not overall SEE stories, the Bacs were not the answer I thought of.

Aine

I read ...

Aine Sabine's picture

"What Milsy Did" from the chapter page via printer friendly option. That is why my only comment is here. I really hope more is coming. It is so good and I love seeing things from another view point and also what happens to others. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Now a comment that comes from SEE and Milsy stories. As the mining is happening in Blackstone, I can see The Barony of Blackstone growing a bit. As they mine the Stone Sea of limestone for concrete, the area they move in would likely be co-opted into the Barony. Just a thought.

Aine