The Prince Bride - 5

Printer-friendly version

The Prince Bride - Chapters 11 & 12
By Missy Crystal

Prince Charles was heir to the throne. At his christening, three of the four fairy protectors of the Kingdom (the kind with wings and wands) appeared to give him the customary blessings for a future king. The fourth fairy sister, arriving late from partying all night with the elves, mistakenly believes the baby is a girl and gives her the blessing of being a happy bride. Can the fairy magic be undone? Will the prince grow up to be a queen of one kind or another? Read the story and find out.

Chapter 11. Lady Marlyne

The next morning, the Queen began her search by questioning the servants, who she expected would know the palace gossip. Indeed, with her royal assurance of confidentiality, they were eager to tattle, leading her to conclude that promiscuity was the favorite pastime of the court. Only one woman, however, was consistently mentioned as having the unusual combination of popularity and respect, and so the Queen sent for her.

Lady Marlyne was in her dressing gown, considering which of her admirers' dinner invitations to accept, when a maid brought her a note that had just been delivered by a messenger. One more boring offer to wine her, dine her and do her she thought as she began to open it. Then she recognized the royal seal. She reasoned that it would have been brought by a guard, were it to take her to task for some transgression, so it must be of a social nature. Breaking the seal and unfolding the paper, she read: HRH Queen Charlotte requests your presence in her chambers at 1 of the clock this afternoon. Recalling that she had just heard the tower bell strike eleven, she ran to her closet to find a dress for the occasion.

"No, no, no," Lady Marlyne conversed with herself while searching her wardrobe, "none of these will do for an audience with the Queen. Have I no purpose for dressing, but to arouse the passion of men? What will she think of me, if I go with my tits hanging out like a cow? The note was delivered and so she will be told. Therefore, I must keep the appointment. Oh well, I will have to make do. Perhaps, ah yes, a blouse under the dress will serve to cover me. Do I have something demure? I think not. Wait. Yes, yes, yes!" she exclaimed elatedly, rummaging through her wash basket and holding up a white linen long sleeved man's shirt with a ruffled jabot. "How convenient," she mused, "that he could not retain his passion until unclothed." Putting on the shirt and the dress over it, which covered the stain her lover would not have wanted his wife to find, she looked in the mirror, turning side to side. "Most attractive," she complimented herself, fussing with the jabot. "I may start a fashion trend."

Lady Marlyne spent the remainder of the morning coifing her hair and applying her makeup, much more sparingly than if her rendezvous was with a man. When she was satisfied with her appearance, she gave her face a few finishing touches with the powder puff, dabbed on some scent and departed. As it was some distance, she wanted to leave herself plenty of time, lest she keep the Queen waiting, an offense not worth risking. Approaching the royal reception hall, she heard the tower bell strike one o'clock. Upon entering the hall, Lady Marlyne crossed the large, opulently decorated room, obviously intended to impress visitors, and stood before a secretary impeccably dressed in royal livery seated in an ornately carved high backed chair behind an exquisite gilded desk. He examined the invitation, beckoned for a page and directed him to escort Lady Marlyne to the Queen's quarters. Accompanied by the page, Lady Marlyne passed through an opening in front of which two royal guards were stationed and followed him down a long corridor, making a number of turns, until they reached a heavy wooden door with ornate polished brass fittings. The page knocked and the door opened. To her surprise, it was the Queen herself who was standing before her. The page bowed low and backed away until he was out of sight.

"Lady Marlyne," the Queen greeted her cordially, "it was so good of you to come on such short notice. I hope that I have not inconvenienced you?"

The question was purely rhetorical, for none would admit to being put out by a royal invitation.

"Not at all, your Highness. To be summoned to attend the Queen at any time is an honor," Lady Marlyne replied tactfully as she dropped into a deep curtsey.

The Queen nodded her acceptance of the compliment, bid Lady Marlyne rise and motioned towards a luxurious pale green silk upholstered settee, before which was set an engraved silver tea service on a low gilded table which also held an elaborately worked silver three tiered stand piled high with delicious looking pastries and confections.

"Please do come and sit, for I wish to speak with you about a matter of great importance. Would you care for some refreshment?"

Lady Marlyne was frozen by the Queen's invitation to socialize like equals.

"My dear Marlyne," the Queen reassured her, "please do not stand," the Queen smiled at her play on words, "on ceremony. In public, respect is accorded and enforced. In private it is tedious. Do join me."

The Queen went over and sat on the settee, arranging her skirt and patting the cushion next to her. Lady Marlyne followed and stood beside the small table.

"Your Highness is most gracious. If I need not observe the usual formalities, then may I at least serve you tea?" Lady Marlyne asked politely.

"Yes, you may," the Queen agreed.

"How does you Highness prefer her tea and would she care for something to eat?" Lady Marlyne inquired, pouring a small amount of the strongly brewed tea from the tea pot into a white china cup with a delicate floral design and adding hot water from a heated kettle on a stand.

Once the social amenities had been observed, the Queen spoke what was on her mind.

"Lady Marlyne, I have chosen you for a very delicate matter, because of your," the Queen paused, "unique qualifications."

Lady Marlyne looked at the Queen, shrugged and replied, "you need a woman of loose morals?"

Although she expected to be rebuked for her candor, instead the Queen said pleasantly, "no, Marlyne. From what I have heard, the Court is full of those. I need a woman who can keep a secret. If have misjudged you in that regard, you are free to go and nothing will be said of our meeting, you have my word."

"And you have mine," your Highness.

"Very well then, but be assured that your life is forfeit, should you reveal what I am about to tell you, regardless of the reason or excuse. Given the penalty, you may wish to reconsider and I will not think less of you, for none should be commanded to accept such a responsibility."

"Should I betray your confidence, I would deserve no less," your Highness. "Please continue."

The Queen nodded her satisfaction and explained, "many years ago, when Prince Charles was born, there was an unfortunate mistake which has caused the King and me great anguish as his parents. You have seen the Princess, have you not?"

"Yes, on many occasions. She is a most beautiful and charming young lady."

"She is a most beautiful and charming young man," the Queen corrected her.

"Your Highness is testing me?" Lady Marlyne questioned. "I have seen young men who, for amusement or pleasure, transform themselves into females. As convincing as they may be, they cannot compare to the Princess."

"Yes," the Queen agreed, "except when fairy magic is involved. It would be best if I told you the whole story."

The Queen then proceeded to explain the confused blessing, the King's futile effort to prevent its influence and their concern for the wellbeing of both the Princess and the Kingdom, should the enchantment not be fulfilled.

Lady Marlyne listened attentively and, when the Queen had finished, replied, "I am deeply sorry, your Highness, for it is indeed an unfortunate state of affairs, but I do not see how I can be of assistance."

"In fact," the Queen said with a smile, turning Lady Marlyne's words around, "it is exactly your assistance with an affair of state that we require. For the Princess to become a bride and fulfill the enchantment, she must wed a prince. Normally, her marriage would be arranged by the King, but the fairies warned us that the magic chooses its own means to its end. It cares naught for our politics and, if the King was to choose wrongly, whatever corrective action the magic might take could be dire, even deadly. We dare not risk it. Instead, we have decided to hold a grand ball to which all of the eligible princes from the neighboring kingdoms will be invited. The Princess will select one of them for her husband, which choice, we hope, will be as the magic intends."

"That seems like a good plan," Lady Marlyne agreed, "but I still do not see how I can be of assistance."

"We," the Queen hesitated, "well to be frank, we don't know if the Princess likes men, since she was born male. She has shown no inclination in that regard and we hoped that someone with your experience might determine her preference."

Lady Marlyne had respectfully averted her eyes during their conversation. Gathering her courage, she turned to face the Queen, to be sure that there was no misunderstanding as to her assignment. "You wish me to consort with the Princess?"

Queen Charlotte stood and said softly, "For the Princess' sake and that of the Kingdom, I need to know whether she would be receptive to a prince as a suitor. Please spare me the details."

"I am your obedient servant," Lady Marlyne replied with a curtsey.

"No," the Queen said, motioning her to rise. "I have more than enough servants. You are my confidant, Countess Marlyne."

It took a moment for the Queen's words to register. Her eyes went wide.

"If it please your Highness, I need no reward for my service.

The Queen shook her head and said with a smile, "it would not be proper for me to send someone of lesser estate. I will inform the Princess that the Countess Marylyne will call on her at seven this evening and you shall report back to me tomorrow morning. You have my leave."

Her sincere protest having been dismissed, Lady, now Countess, Marlyne, knew better than to persist. She curtseyed once more, backed to the door and opened it. The guards came to attention as she exited and one of them fell in beside her, as a stranger was not allowed to roam the corridors unattended. Upon reaching the doorway to the reception hall, the guard came to a halt and did an about face.

Chapter 12. Husbands and Lovers.

Countess Marlyne hurried from the Palace and returned to her apartment. Once inside, she began her preparations. Browsing through her wardrobe, she picked out a revealing dress that men found enticing, although she doubted that the Princess would have the same fondness for breasts, since she had her own. Then again, they were not hers by nature, but by magic, so perhaps there was a difference. In a few hours, she would know the answer.

Laying the dress across her bed, the Countess called for her maid and directed her to bring hot water. The maid returned with a copper kettle and emptied it into the white porcelain washbowl on the washstand, tempering it with water from the companion ewer. After satisfying herself that she would not offend, the Countess opened a chest and picked out her finest undergarments of white linen, trimmed in eyelet lace and gathered at the waist, leg and arm openings with pink ribbon. White stockings with pink ribbon ties and black leather shoes with silver buckles completed her ensemble. With the assistance of her maid, Countess Marlyne dressed and then sat at her dressing table, where she carefully applied her makeup and did up her hair, securing it with two silver and tortoise shell combs. Looking through her jewelry box, she selected a gold link chain with a sparkling pendant which nestled just above her exposed cleavage. Standing, she surveyed herself in the mirror and gave a nod of approval.

By the time the Countess finished her preparation, the sun was setting. After a final primp, she found a purse, dabbed on some floral scent from a glass vial, replaced the stopper, put the vial in her purse, took a cloak, both for modesty in traveling and warmth against the chill night air, and left for her appointment. She heard the tower bell ring six as she crossed the courtyard. Walking slowly, so as not to arrive disheveled, she still reached the royal reception hall with time to spare. Familiar with the procedure from her audience with the Queen that morning, she presented herself to the secretary.

"Lady," she paused to correct herself, "Countess Marylyne. I have an audience with Her Royal Highness Princess Charlene."

The secretary politely asked her to take a seat. She selected a richly upholstered side chair and waited patiently. On the first stroke of seven, the secretary called for a page to escort her. She stood and, asserting her feminine prerogative, kept him waiting while she disciplined her dress, tugging, smoothing and adjusting, until she was satisfied. She then nodded to indicate her readiness and they set off. Upon arriving at the Princess' apartment, the page knocked on the door. As the servants had been dismissed to insure privacy, it was the Princess who greeted her. The page paid his respect with a deep bow and withdrew.

Although Countess Marlyne had seen the Princess numerous times at court, it was always from a distance. In her presence, she was taken by the Princess' beauty. Her flawless face was framed by a cascade of blonde curls which fell to her shoulders. Her figure, although more girlish than womanly, in keeping with her age, was perfectly proportioned and unmistakably feminine. All together, there was an alluring air of innocence about the Princess that made her both demure and desirable. There was no doubt in Countess Marlyne's mind that any man to whom the Princess was introduced could not help but fall in love with her at first sight. The confusion that such magical charm would cause for a boy being raised as a girl explained why the Princess had been kept away from men.

The Countess' preoccupation with the Princess' appearance was interrupted by a soft, gentle voice politely reminding her that she was still standing in the doorway.

"Countess Marlyne, might you not find it more comfortable to visit with me inside?" the Princess asked.

Countess Marlyne entered and the Princess extended her hand, directing the Countess' attention to a table set for diner.

"Please, do dine with me." Then with a small exclamation of dismay, the Princess apologized, "Oh dear, I hope you have not supped. Mother did not say whether you were expecting a meal. I have had the kitchen prepare a variety of foods you may enjoy and there is some most delicious wine from the royal vineyards. It is made just for my father and he is quite partial to it," she said with a girlish giggle. "There are sweets too, quite delicious."

The Countess could not refuse a royal invitation, even if she was not hungry, which she was, having forgotten about eating in her preparation for the evening.

"I would be pleased to accept your hospitality, your Highness," the Countess replied, walking to the table and standing by a chair, courteously waiting.

The Princess joined her at the table. After the Princess sat down, the Countess seated herself. The Princess selected small portions of the fish and fowl, a few spoonfuls of vegetables and a slice of bread. She filled her goblet with wine from a carafe. The Countess did the same. Watching the Princess as she took dainty bites and small sips, dabbing her mouth frequently with the corner of her napkin, the Countess remarked to herself that by her manners too, she was unquestionably feminine. It was the Princess who initiated the conversation.

"Mother has told me that you have many suitors. How to be familiar with a man is a part of my education that has been lacking, although through no fault of mine," the Princess stated with a pretty pout. "Do you know, Countess Marlyne, that there are no books on the subject? But you will tell me, won't you? That is why you have come, is it not?"

"In part to tutor you, yes, your Highness, and in part to discern your feelings on the subject," the Countess replied candidly.

"How is it that you have found none of your many suitors suitable?" the Princess asked naively, with a tiny giggle at her wordplay.

"The Queen was overly complimentary, your Highness. The men are not my suitors, but my lovers. Most are already married or have commitments that prevent them from freely choosing a wife, even if I were to prefer one to another. As it is, each has some qualities which I find attractive, but one not more so than another.

"Why would these men seek your company when they have wives or are betrothed?" the Princess puzzled. "And why would you prefer the husbands of others to having one of your own? Do you not wish to have a family?"

"As to your first question, your Highness, it is customary that marriages are arranged for social or financial advantage, as your mother's was and yours would be, were it not for the enchantment. Once married, it is the wife's duty to bear her husband's children, but there is no need for her to take pleasure in it. To the contrary, innocence is considered proof of chastity, so mothers withhold knowledge from their daughters for fear that it may be taken for lack of virtue. When such naivety is brought to the marriage bed, often it is to the wife's relief that she submit to her husband no more than necessary to produce heirs. By her indifference, it is I who enjoy her husband's affection and generosity."

"I am fortunate indeed then to have your instruction, Countess Marlyne, so that my prince will be both husband and lover," the Princess said appreciatively.

"As to your second question," Countess Marlyne continued, "when I was young, I allowed myself to enjoy the company of a stable boy. By itself that indiscretion might have gone unnoticed, but my being with child could not. My father considered it a disgrace. When I gave birth, my baby was taken from me. I have never seen him," the Countess said regretfully. "I lost not just my child, but also my opportunity for marriage, for confidence in purity of the bloodline requires a virgin bride. My father, seeing no benefit to my continued support, sent me off to the palace as a lady in waiting. It was not long before the gentlemen of the Court noticed me. As there is not much to do, I found their company to be agreeable and so I pass the time."

"I am most grateful that you would share such a confidence with me, Countess Marlyne. I shall speak with my father. I am sure that with his resources he can find your son," the Princess said reassuringly.

"Please, your Highness, although your sympathy is appreciated, I comfort myself by believing that the baby suffered no misfortune on my account. The truth could mend or break my heart. Some wounds are best not reopened."

"As you wish, Countess Marlyne, and, by your disclosure, I believe you have answered my third question as well." Tactfully changing the subject, the Princess suggested, "let us repair to the settee and resume our conversation about being with a man. Do fill your goblet and come sit with me."

The Princess rose, seated herself and arranged her skirt. The Countess sat down next to her. Again, it was the Princess who spoke first.

"Although I have found no books on women, I have studied animal husbandry and have learned how to breed all manner of livestock. I assume the process by which babies are made involves the male mounting the female, although the writers seem to assume that from that point on the animals do not need direction. How is it that beasts know what I do not?"

The directness of the Princess' question and her casual reference to rutting animals caught the Countess off guard. She took a swallow of her wine to gain her composure and then answered.

"Creating babies requires no special knowledge, your Highness. For a woman, all that is necessary is for her to be docile and the man then does what is necessary by his nature, no different from the bull, the stallion and the ram." The Countess took another swallow of wine. "The question to which you seek the answer is not how to make a baby, but how to make love."

"Might you instruct me then, Countess? You will find that I am a most apt student. I speak six languages, seven if you count our own. I know of the history and geography of all the neighboring kingdoms, I can do sums and I have had many conversations with visiting philosophers and scholars."

"One can describe a piece of fruit by color, texture and whether it is sweet or tart, but to know the flavor of an apple, one must taste it. So too, the art of making love, your Highness, is not one that can be put into words. It must be experienced."

"Then might we try, Countess?" the Princess asked enthusiastically.

Taking the opportunity to carry out her commission, the Countess gave the Princess the choice of roles.

"Shall I be the man or the woman?"

"Since I am to be a bride and a bride is a woman, then you must play the part of my prince." The Princess pondered her decision for a moment and then equivocated, "unless, of course, you find such pretense to be disagreeable. Please do not acquiesce to such an intimate request by reason of obedience."

"I have no preference," the Countess assured the Princess.

"How shall we begin?"

"One begins, your Highness, by becoming acquainted. Nothing easily gained is greatly valued and so you must postpone physical intimacy, if you wish for love and not lust."

Countess Marlyne turned to the Princess. The Princess, most astute, took the cue, casting her eyes down and batting her long, silky eyelashes.

"Oh do, my dear prince, tell me of your country, for I have heard of the beautiful blue ocean on which your ships sail to distant lands. Have you ventured to sea?"

The Princess paused, raising her eyes, parting her lips in an encouraging smile and gazing at the Countess in seeming rapt anticipation of her response. To her surprise, Countess Marlyne found herself so charmed that she felt compelled to satisfy the Princess' curiosity. It took her a moment to realize that this was most likely the magic's influence and that, in fact, she knew nothing about the subject. She returned the smile.

"Well done," Lady Marlyne complimented the Princess. "Would that we had more time to practice romantic conversation, but we must accomplish in a night the lessons of a lifetime of courtship, or perhaps courtesanship, for, with all my experience, I have encouraged naught but indecent proposals. I am sure you will fare better."

The Princess' smile faded.

"You do yourself no service by such talk, Countess. Though I lack experience, it takes little to understand that she who seeks naught finds naught."

The Princess moved over and placed her arms around the Countess, gently comforting her. In response to her tender expression of affection, the Countess leaned forward and returned the embrace, their cheeks touching. As they untwined, their lips brushed and lingered. Drawing the Princess to her, the Countess surrendered to the most perfect kiss. When they finally parted, the Countess fell back in a near swoon, fanning herself with her hand.

"Oh dear," the Princess exclaimed in dismay. "Perhaps if I loosen your laces, you will regain your breath," she offered, innocently placing her hands against the Countess' bodice with the contrary result.

The Countess let out a low moan, which dissuaded the Princess from further unintentional erotic ministrations. Sitting back, she waited while the Countess recovered.

"You need no instruction from me, your Highness," the Countess complimented her. "The fairies' magic serves its purpose well. Were we to continue, I fear my heart could not bear our separation and I too would seek your hand."

The Princess' eyes went wide.

"Is such a thing possible?" she asked. "Can a woman marry another? Have I been mistaken in believing that I must wed a prince to be a bride?"

"No, your Highness. I spoke emotionally, not practically." The purpose of marriage is to secure the wife's fidelity, so that the husband's estate can pass with assurance to his legitimate heir. The union of two women would be fruitless in every sense."

The Princess looked serious as she considered the Countess' answer for a minute and then she nodded her understanding.

To lighten the conversation, the Countess jested, "And besides, were we to wed, I believe it is I who would naturally be the bride."

"Then the ceremony would be most confusing," the Princess retorted, "for my wedding dress has already been fashioned." My companion Elisse wore it for her nuptials and, by my argument to persuade her, so too shall I be wed in it.

Both women broke into laughter.

TO BE CONTINUED

up
39 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Confucius he say

Ooh-Err!

Age gap? What age gap? Who cares? Who will cast the first spanner into the works?

S.

spellbinding

laika's picture

A sensitive portrayal of Lady/Countess Marlyne, a good person whose calling means she will never be quite respected, although it can't hurt she now has a friend in the queen. I'd like to see her dismissal of the possibility of a lesbian relationship in their world proven wrong; I'd find it both romantic and very politically gratifying to see her and Queen Charlene ruling the kingdom together some day, especially if the commonfolk took to such an unorthodox reign, a Progressive (if u will) spirit sweeping the land ....... But of course not a necessary outcome for this tale to have a happy ending for me, as long as Marlyne and the Princess each find the love they deserve, their "happily ever after" with SOMEONE. Anyway I'm really enjoying this story...
~~~hugs, Laika