A simple truth served with a simple dinner.

Printer-friendly version


A simple truth served with a simple dinner.


Maria DeMarco has made plans for this Memorial Day. A special dinner for her friends and family on Ram’s Rock Island with a special tribute.
This story takes place after the events of ‘A thief’s Problem.’


Ram’s Rock Island.

Maria smiled as she took her morning walk along the southern beach of the island. She knew that Paul would be flying in later that afternoon. Her plans were going perfectly. She just had to keep your family occupied until later that night. She had gone out of her way to setup a heavy day of training for all of them. Right now, Sam, Annette, Bobby, Hunter, Kasey, and Kristine were running through the Parkour course for the next hour. After that they would be heading for the firing range for four hours of intensive firearms training.

Her plan was perfect. Between her and Anna the surprise dinner they had scheduled that had taken weeks of plan. Maria had used her International connections to gather the ingredients for the dinner from around the world. Heading over to the airfield Maria had a spring in her step. She enjoyed her trip off the island this morning. She had paid Rodrick to fly her over to Nassau to pick everything up at the airport’s cargo terminal. Even as she loaded the boxes of perishable goods into the helo Rodrick’s curiosity was peaked.

He could tell that half of these boxes came from places such as Piemonte, Valle d’Aosta, Trentino-Alto Adige, from the Northern part of Italy and the other half as far south as Basilicata, Puglia, and Calabria. Rodrick had visited Italy and Sicily during his time in the Navy where he was exposed to real Italian food. That exposure had been expanded by the DeMarco family’s arrival on his small island with their twice weekly island family dinners. When he asked Maria, what was in all the boxes Maria just smirked saying it was a surprise dinner for the whole island and that he, Lyssa, and their twins were invited.

Before she left Maria had given Anna instructions to get with Peter, Carl, and Eddie. The three men were a little surprised when the elderly maid asked them if they could setup a table with chairs for eighteen people in the hanger. Along with one other special item. She just smiled and at them then walked away. Leaving the three military men to contemplate just what the oldest member of the island’s population was up to. Normally if there was to be some kind of dinner the DeMarco’s would just hold it at their house. Anna drove the golf cart out to meet the helicopter as it returned with Maria from Nassau with the needed supplies. “Did all of our order arrive Madam Maria?”

“Yes, it did. I have to hand it to Raphael. He certainly knows his suppliers. He was able to get everything that I ordered.” Maria was more than overjoyed by the foodstuffs that had been delivered that morning. “I thought he would never have been able to get the wine, but he did.”

“Oh my. How many bottles did he get a hold of?” Anna asked as she eyed the cases of foodstuffs that where being placed in the back of the gulf cart.

Maria smiled and leaned in close to her oldest friend. “We got another eight full cases over in Nassau. I was also able to get a few other favorites flown in for us Anna. I rented one of those heavy refrigerator conex for storing everything.”

“We’ll have to arrange for Masters’ Rodrick and Lonestar to fly over in the C-one-thirty to pick that container up. Before some of the local boys get it in their heads to sample those supplies.” Anna spotted the glint in Maria’s eye. “I take that you have put the word out that container is Protected?”

“I did. Now if anyone were stupid enough to touch that container, they know that more than just the local police will be hunting them.” Maria was looking around to make sure that they were alone. “Are all the preparations ready, Anna?”

“Everything is in place my Donna.” Anna bowed her head and placed her hand over her heart. “You have my word that once we begin all will go smoothly.”

“Thank you, old friend. Today must go according to plan.” Ann could tell that today meant a great deal to her oldest friend and Donna.

“Then let us get the food inside and start cooking.” Anna smiled as she pulled to a stop in front of the DeMarco home. Both women grabbed a box and headed inside. It took the two women four trips to unload the gulf cart of its burden. Once they had everything inside it took them another twenty minutes to put everything away. Once done the two women went to work. Four and half hours later Anna looked over at Maria. “Oh, I informed Kimberly that there will be no classes this afternoon for Mindy or the girls.”

“Thank you for reminding me about that. I totally forgotten about the girls’ evening dance class.” Maria looked over at Anna. “I must truly be slowing down and getting forgetful in my old age.”

“YOU?! Old and forgetful?!” Anna busted out laughing. “Please, my Donna. You may be gaining years just as I am, but your mind is still as sharp as ever.”

“No Anna it is just a simple truth.” Maria sighed as she stirred the sauce pot. “Have you sent your down payment yet on that little house in Venus yet?”

“It went out the other day. I must say that Jose Mandela may be a scoundrel, but at least he is my kind of scoundrel. He was able to get me my retirement home at my price. The funny thing was he didn’t even charge me his normal percentage for processing the legal paperwork or handling the negotiations.” Anna had turned thoughtful as she kneaded the doe for the handmade pasta. “For some reason I get the feeling that the idea of the Nightingale retiring was something he feared.”

Maria chuckled. “It is a simple truth Anna. The very thought of us retiring, is something that is more terrifying for most of the underworld than the thought of having one of us carrying out a contract, old friend. They fear the day that my daughters take over fully.”

Chuckling Anna just nodded her head. She looked up at the clock on the kitchen wall and smiled. “The children will be returning shortly Madam.”

“We’ll just point them to the showers.” Maria sighed and gave Anna a slight smile. “I know that I shouldn’t let Annette do all that crazy running of hers, but the doctor said that exercise is good for both her and the babies. But I still worry as any grandmother would in my situation.”

“At least Masters Hunter and Robert have been able to keep her from doing flips, rolls, or other extreme maneuvers while she’s been pregnant.” Anna’s smile was just as wide as Maria’s. Both women were just as shocked as the rest of the DeMarco household when Annette asked to be flown over to Nassau to see an OBGYN three weeks ago. When Annette returned to the island her fears were confirmed. She was pregnant with twins. When Paul found out in the weekly briefing, he flew down the doctor that had taken of Kasey and Kristine’s SRS surgeries.

So far, the pregnancy was going well for Annette. Bobby and Hunter were taken into Nassau by the male population of the island to celebrate the happy news. The women mean while got together to throw Annette a baby shower back on the island. Even Mindy got into the spirit of the impromptu party. There was a great deal to celebrate on the island this week. Mainly though today’s dinner had a more somber meaning.

As her family entered the house Maria stopped them at the door. “Alright all of you need a shower. Girls, I want you all in sundresses and sandals. Boys, nice shorts and polo shirts. Am I understood?”

“Yes ma’am.” They all said as one with only Bobby asking a question. “Who’s coming to dinner mom? Do we need to breakout the really good dress clothes?”

“No need to get too fancy Robert. Just dress nicely. As for where we’ll be eating. Dinner is being served in one of the hangers. This dinner is for everyone.” Maria turned and headed back to the kitchen.

While they were upstairs getting cleaned up the sound of the Leer jet landing drew both Maria’s and Anna’s attention. Anna turned to Maria. “Master Paul should be here shortly madam. Do you want me to show him to your room?”

“No, Anna. I’ll take care of my husband when he arrives. You know that he will check in with Kimberly and Lyssa before heading up to the house.” Maria sighed. “He is just too much the proper military officer to just come straight to the house.”

“Show patience with him, my Donna. He is much like you when it comes to business. If he was not such an honorable man, he would have made a truly formidable Don.” Anna quipped as she placed the twelve layer lasagna in the oven.

“True. I believe that if he had applied his mind to Criminal Enterprise, he would have ruled all of the Organized Crime in the United States.” Maria told Anna only half in jest. “It is a good thing that he didn’t though. He just has far too much a sense of duty to country to be a good Don.”

“That is a very simple truth my Donna.” Then Anna crossed herself and smiled. “Thank the Saints that you did not suffer from such foolishness.”

Just as Maria predicted Kimberly pulled up out front of the house with Major Paul Dannigan in the front seat of her golf cart. The CO for the OICA climbed out of the cart, grabbed his suitcase out the back seat and headed inside by the kitchen door. He stopped and kissed Anna on the cheek, before hugging Maria and giving her a toe-curling kiss. With his greetings done he left the two women to their cooking and headed for Maria’s room with a bounce in his step.

It took Maria a few minutes to catch her breath after Paul’s kiss. As she stood there fanning herself Anna just chuckled. Maria glared at his retreating back before turning to Anna with a grin. “I swear he gets worse every time he sees me.”

“Tale è l'amore mia Donna!” Anna cried out. Much too Maria’s embarrassment. Ever sense their return from Japan Paul had been taken every chance he could to fly down to Ram’s Rock Island. That or have Maria fly up to him. It was just the way of life for the older couple. One that would one day end with their retirements. But that day was still in the future, yet.

Kasey and Kristine were the first ones to come down from their showers. Both girls were dressed as their grandmother asked. Well it was more like ordered. While they were in sundresses, they each showed their individual style. Maria smiled and nodded her approval of the girls out fits. “Good, now that you girls are here you can help by starting to load the wagon.”

Both teens just sighed and did as their grandmother ordered. They were on their third trip out to the wagon when Bobby and Hunter entered the kitchen. Both men snagged a bread stick before Anna swatted them both shouting. “GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN! MADAM MARIA EITHER YOU GET THESE SONS OF YOURS IN LINE OR I’LL SKIN THEM ALIVE! I DON’T NEED NO FOOD THEIVES IN MY KITCHEN!”

Both men just chuckled as they ran from the kitchen believing they had escaped Maria and Anna’s wrath. Only to find their very formidable mother-in-law standing just outside the kitchen door wearing a scowl. “You two will turn around right now! You both owe Anna an apology and you WILL help carry out the finished food.”

Both men just shrugged and did as they were told. Both were thinking that they would snatch up another tender morsel for their hard work. Only to find Maria watching them like a hawk. As they were taking their first loads Samantha and Annette appeared in the doorway. Sam was the first to offer help.

“What needs to be finished up mama?”

“Just need to pot the sauce Samantha. Everything else has been taken care of. Annette keep an eye on those kitchen thieves you call husbands. If one more piece of food goes missing BEFORE we all sit down to dinner, I’m holding you girls responsible. Am I understood?” Both Samantha and Annette just nodded their heads then began to carry out the last of the food.

Once all the food was outside in the two wagons and back half of the golf cart Maria turned to Anna. “Go ahead and get cleaned up Anna. I’ll have the girls and boys clean up the kitchen and dishes.”

Paul had walked in on the last half of that conversation. “Go ahead Anna. You too Maria. I’ll handle the KP detail until you get back. I’ll make sure that your kitchen is spotless when they’re done Anna.”

The two women smiled and headed off to get cleaned up. When Samantha, Annette, Bobby, Hunter, and the girls came back in from loading the wagons and golf cart. Paul took charge of the situation like the Army Officer that he was. “Okay, people. Assholes and elbows. We got thirty minutes to get the food down to the hanger and the kitchen cleaned up. Sergeants you’re on the pots and pans. Deputies Justice and DeMarco senior, you’re on food delivery. Justice and DeMarco junior, you’re on table service and setup. You have your assignments. Carry them out.”

With their assignments handed out each two person team moved to carry out their orders. With the golf cart full the teens used their bicycles to get down to the hanger. Samantha and Annette drove carefully as they pulled the two wagons behind the golf cart towards the hanger. The wagons were Hunter’s idea. He figured that instead of making a bunch of trips up from the airfield in the golf cart he could build two wagons with a trailer hitches for carrying the groceries up to the house and make just one trip. The little wagons had come in handy for more than just groceries. Over the past three years it had been used for hauling luggage, gun cases, ammo boxes, and just about everything else around the island. Even Rodrick and Lyssa had seen their usefulness.

When Maria came back down twenty minutes later the kitchen was cleaned up and the boys were nowhere around. Paul answered her unasked question. “I sent them all on ahead. I must say that this is a great idea Ria. It is both fitting and slightly ironic what you’re doing.”

“How is it ironic Master Paul?” Anna asked as she walked into the kitchen from her wing of the house. She had changed her dress for a sundress.

Paul chuckled before answering. “You’ll understand later Anna. I promise.” Paul turned deadly serious. “Ria I have that list of names you wanted me to get.”

“Thank you, Paulo. This is one time that I am the one to have the sad duty.” Maria let her voice be filled by the frustration that she felt over that list of names. “I hope that I will only have to do this once a year.”

Paul hugged the woman he loved tightly. “This is one duty that must be the burden of the officer in charge, my love. I can still do this for you?”

“No Paulo it is my duty. Now, did you see if the children had their shields with them?” At Paul’s blank look Maria sighed. “They will need them for the ceremony.”

Anna gave Maria a sad smile. “It is truly a wonderous time that we live in. I’ll go get the children their shields, my Donna.”

Before Maria could say anything, Anna was gone. It wasn’t long before Anna returned. In her hands were the seven badges that belonged to the Black Badge Deputies. Each ‘star’ or ‘shield’ hung from a chain. One though was different from the other six. This one shield was gold with black lettering. Unlike the other six which were black with sliver lettering. This was the badge for the Marshal of the Black Badge Marshals. In Anna’s hands were all of the badges for the fabled Black Badge Deputies.

Anna handed the lone golden star to Maria with a smile. “Your shield, Marshal.”

“Thank you, Anna.” Hanging the badge by the chain from around her neck Maria looked at Paul and Anna. “Well, it’s time to go.”

The three of them left the DeMarco home and walked towards the airfield. When the three oldest members of the OICA finally arrived, the table had been set and the food had been placed on warming racks. The wine had been opened to breath, and the beer had been set to chill. Maria smiled at the gathered population of Ram’s Rock Island. Anna was busy passing out the badges to the deputies as Maria walked around greeting everyone first. She smiled as Mindy gave her a hug.

Maria made sure that everyone had a beer or glass of wine. She even allowed Kasey and Kristine to have a glass of wine. The only ones not drinking an alcoholic beverage was Mindy and Annette. Maria made sure that they had a cold coke.

“Okay, Madam Maria, what’s with having dinner down here at the hanger?” Rodrick asked what was on everyone’s mind. “And why is your side of the house wearing their badges on their day off?”

“I will get to that in a moment Rodrick. First of all, we all know that today is May 27th, Memorial Day. But can any of you tell me what other National Holiday is held during this month?” At their blank looks Maria sighed. “Ladies and gentlemen May 15th is the Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week in which that date falls is known as Police Week. This week was given to them by President John F. Kennedy in 1962. Law Enforcement Officers of every rank and file have chosen a profession that puts their life on the line every day for their communities. This is a simple truth that we often forget.”

“WOW! Nonnina, I never thought about having a day just for Law Enforcement. Did you make this up?” Mindy asked with a wondering smile.

“Sorry munchkin, but your grandmother is tell the truth. I must admit that I never really paid attention to this day.” Lyssa told the young teenager. “This is your aunts’, uncles’ and cousins’ day. To be honest I often forget about the garbage that cops have to put up with in their day to day routines. It’s a good thing to have a day set aside just for them. To show them all how much we appreciate what they do. To do otherwise is unforgiveable.”

“Is that why you wanted us all dressed up Madam Maria?” Pete asked her shyly.

“Not totally Peter. I asked you all to dress up as you put for another reason.” Paul handed her the folded papers. “Normally this list would be read on the last day of National Police Week at the National Police Memorial. As we had a case at the time. I decided to read the list of the names of those officers that have died in the performance of their duties for the protection of our citizens today.”

Maria waved for Carl to bring over the radio that she had him setup earlier that morning. “There is a tradition among Law Enforcement community that even the Mafia respects. One that honors their dead.”

Maria reached over and picked up the radio’s mike. “Ram’s Rock 101 calling officers…”. Maria read off the names on the list when she got to the last one, she waited for a reply. When none came as expected Maria repeated the call. “Ram’s Rock 101 calling…” Once again Maria read off the names and waited. When no answer came again Maria keyed the mike one last time. “Ram’s Rock 101, to all units,” she then read off the names again. Only this time she continued after the last name. “All officers stand down. This is your end of watch call officers. You may be gone, but you are not forgotten. We shall carry on in your name. Ram’s Rock 101 signing off.”

When Maria turned the radio off and turned back to the gathered members of the OICA she was greeted by raised wine glassed and beer bottles. Paul called out the toast. “Gone but not forgotten! HOO-AAH!”

The traditional call of approval for the US Army echoed throughout the hanger with the force of eighteen voices. Even Mindy joined in with her own call. “HOO-AAH!”

“It is a simple truth that Law Enforcement Officers are the thin Blue Wall that stands between the anarchy of evil and civilization.” Lyssa stated quietly as she raised her wineglass once more. “To the thin blue line.”

As one everyone raised their glass or beer. Even little Mindy raise her glass of coke. “To the thin blue line.”

With the first of the toasts done Maria waved to the table. “Okay people the food is hot and I for one am hungry. Let’s eat.”

Maria’s order was greeted with gusto by the gathered adults and teens. Over the next four hours wine, beer, and food flowed freely around the table. The sun had set long ago in the west when Kimberly spotted Mindy yawning and took her home. Four plates of food had been made up for Lonestar along with six bottles of beer. Those had been delivered by Anna earlier in the day.

As the dinner party wound down Pete, Carl, and Eddie stopped Anna from cleaning up. “We’ll get this Miss Anna. Me and Pete will bring everything up to the house in the morning. After we’ve cleaned everything. You go on and relax with the rest of the Deputies. You kind of earned it.”

“Thank you, boys. You have a good night.” Anna smiled and walked back towards the DeMarco home. She stopped at the hanger door. “Oh, and boys. I expect to see you all at the dinner table tomorrow night.”

The three men just chuckled as they watched the old Lady walk away into the night. Pete turned to Eddie once they were alone. “You know something partner. I’m going to really miss, Miss Anna when she’s gone. I hope that she enjoys her retirement.”

“I know what you mean bubby. The island just won’t seem the same without her.” Pete said with a sad smile. Carl just nodded his head in agreement. Eddie had seen a side of the oldest member of the island that his two friends hadn’t during their time in Boston. A side that was not shown on the island.

“Have you seen the pictures of her retirement home yet?” Carl asked them both.

“Yeah I have. Man, she is really getting a sweet little place. I hope that she’ll invite us to visit sometime.” Eddie told his friend.

“I won’t worry about that Pete. I have the feeling that once Anna finally retires, she’ll be sending us an open ended invitation.” Pete looked towards where the DeMarco home would be in the distance. “In some ways I think that the idea of Miss Anna retiring is more terrifying than her actually carrying out a contract on someone.”

“I know what you mean partner. There is one thing that has bugged me about Miss Anna and the Madam. We’ve got the video of Madam Maria beating the crap out of that bonehead Waite. I wonder just how deadly Miss Anna is?” Carl said as he stacked the plates at one end of the table.

“Don’t ask me Carl. I just know that Madam Maria respects her as more than just a friend and Consiglieri. She respects Miss Anna as a fellow assassin of the highest caliber. She not the only either. Lyssa respects the old lady as well.” Pete had been gathering up the empty beer bottles as they talked.

“Yeah, well the simple truth is we’ll never know or find out. Thank god.” Eddie answered his friend. Then looking around at the remains of the dinner party. “I wonder why the Madam really held that little ceremony today?”

“She did it to honor one of the names on that list, gentlemen.” The three men turned to find their boss standing in the doorway. “Today is or I should say was David Earp’s birthday. One of the names on that list was his last partner. Deputy Marshal John Holiday with the SOG teams he died in the line of duty taking down a real shit bag. Someone that I would have placed a Lethal Finding on in a heartbeat if I could. Sadly, there are just some people that fall outside of our area of operation.”

“What happened to the scumbag sir?” Carl snarled. He along with Pete and Eddie had come to respect the Black Badge Deputies and what they have to do.
“Let’s just say that no ivy legal lawyer was ever going to get him off.” Paul turned to head up to the DeMarco home. “Sometimes the only Justice for some crimes is that of the street. Remember gentlemen, not all cop killers are respected.”

“Is that another simple truth, sir?” Eddie asked their OC.

“You could say that Chief. Remember gentleman, that the Black Badges only go after the worst of the worst. The rest of the time it is the everyday police officer that faces the greatest dangers of the mean streets of the world. They are the ones that Madam Maria held this dinner for.” Paul looked out across the tarmac of the runway. “A simple meal for simple men and women. The last meal they never got to have with their loved ones. Today is considered one of our days. A day for Veterans. Yet we should take time to remember that not all wars are fought on the battlefield.”

up
326 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thin Blue Line

Damn! Very, very nice tribute.

Very nice.

NoraAdrienne's picture

Son in law "COP", Father and Step Father, VETERANS, Cousin - SPOOK in three wars, Uncles - WWII... Three Brothers - ARMY NAVY & MARINE... DAUGHTER - FT. HOOD GRAD (2 tours in Afghanistan). Granddaughter- just signed up for Air Force Reserves. WE ARE A MILITARY FAMILY!

To Absent Comrades

Pop's Navy '57-'68, 10% Service Connected. Mum Army '59-'61 1st Wife Marine '79-'82 Myself Air Force '83-'90, 100% Service Connected Pop's cousins CHP and Deputy Sheriffs. Grand Uncles WWII island campaign. Grandpa(M) Royal Artillery '22-'25, India Pensioned out for injuries.

*HUGS*
Robi

As a combat veteran who has a police officer for a son......

D. Eden's picture

I have the utmost respect for those who walk a beat or ride a patrol car. They truly are the thin blue line.

At least I knew that I could kill my targets, and that I had a whole carrier task force at my beck and call.

My son is lucky if he has one other lone officer less than fifteen minutes away when he gets into trouble. Being in the shit without anyone at your back is not my idea of how to run an operation.

So, to all of those who served, and all of those who serve and protect, I raise my glass to you......

Absent comrades.

D. Eden
Captain, US Naval Reserve

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Splendid story

Jamie Lee's picture

A wonderful story, paying tribute to those trying to keep the wolves at bay. It takes a special kind of person to step up and know that at any time in trying to prevent ills to others, it could be the last time they get to see the sunrise.

Others have feelings too.

Been there

Done that. Remember, to a law enforcement officer, "The Thin Blue Line" is not a motto, or a meme. It is a way of life. I may have retired, but I'm still a member of the brotherhood & sisterhood. When all else run away, we run forward.

We Will Never Forget


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin