Hit'n those notes... Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Author retains all rights to this original work of fiction.

Friday, March 29th 12:38 AM
The nerves and anxiousness I was feeling about meeting Blake were tossed right out the window and replaced by an all-consuming curiosity about where we were going. He played on that curiosity during the entire walk to his car, which was parked in the hotels underground parking garage. It was fun, and I really didn’t mind him dropping random hints about where we were going - none of which gave me any clues. Was this all part of his evil plan, drive me crazy with wonder? If it was, well it was working! I was still nervous and feeling a little anxious though, but my mind was more locked on to the question – WHERE ARE WE GOING?!!!

We had been driving now for ten minutes and he wasn’t giving me much to go on, other than repeating his spiel about watching people from a different prospective. Yeah, got that already - not telling me so much Blake, thank you very much… At first I thought we were going to another hotel or something, but when we left the Grand Cayman and turned off the main drag after a block – that idea went out the window also. Maybe if I didn't press I could trick him into telling me what he had in mind, “This is a nice car, have you had it long,” I asked.

“Thanks, I’m enjoying it. It’s a lease and depending on the deal I can get at the end I might consider purchasing it. Got it last year…”

By the logo on the hood and on the steering wheel I knew it was an Acura, but wasn’t familiar with the model, “Is this a TL?”

“Nah, ILX… You know what they want for a TL lease? Stupid money, half a mortgage payment,” he said chuckling.

“Well, if you want to get into something American made I might be able to help you.” I smiled in the dimness of the car thinking he’d have to be willing to come to San Diego to work that one out. Would he?

“Pretty sure this thing is made in the US Brea,” he said looking right at the stop sign we were at, then turned left, “You enjoy working for Cambridge Chevrolet?”

Interesting, he remembered where I worked? Maybe he saw my application for the contest, that’s probably how he knew where I worked - no, I told him that the morning I called to accept his offer to join the competition. “Kaley’s parents have treated me pretty good over the past couple years. She’s my boss and friend, so that makes work a bit more fun,” I thought about how that might have sounded and added, “It’s got its pressures though.” Would he think I was making an excuse about being friends with the owner’s daughter? Augh! Quit over thinking everything! Ask questions, ask him questions…

“I imagine trying to convince someone during their financing that they should buy an extended warranty is a tough sell.”

Okay, now you are showing off – offering up details about my actual job so casually. Does that mean something? Do you know more about me than you are letting on… We were passing a large mall with a nearly empty parking lot – nope, we’re not going to a mall. That’s a dumb thought, like it would be open this late… I really have no idea where we are exactly, but I did catch the name of the multi-lane road we were on – Rancho Drive.

Say something, ask him a question, “The process is scripted by Chevrolet and while most people think the extended warranty and maintenance plans aren’t necessary – I do show them statistics and costs for repairs. Being able to roll the cost of that into the payment and only marginally increasing it gives most a piece of mind.” Augh! Stupid, stupid, stupid! I’m not trying to sell him something! Where are we going?!

“That works,” he asked skeptically.

Breathe… Get back on track, “I’ve hit my sales goals all but once in the last year. The bonus money is nice…,” I said looking towards him, his face subtly illuminated by the dash board lights. He was focused on the road – what are you thinking? Do you know how good your cologne smells? What do you have planned? You aren’t going to slip up and tell me where we’re going, are you? You know I’m trying to… The car slowed, turned right onto Airport Drive, and the large sign said – ‘North Las Vegas Airport’. What are we doing at an airport? This isn’t the main Vegas airport, is it?

“That’s cool you’ve got a bonus structure. Mine is a pain in the ass. Took three months of riding my staff to finally get my first one, but the next month I missed on both labor and liquor costs. Fixed a few things and I’ve nailed costs now two months in a row…”

I couldn’t contain my curiosity any longer, “Are we at an airport for a reason?”

“You worried,” he asked smiling at me.

“No, but I’m wondering a lot of things right now…” That wasn’t an exaggeration. Did I sound worried? Annoyed? Contain your frazzled self, relax…

“Come on Brea,” he said light heartedly, “How are we going to get a different…”

I interrupted him, “Are we going…”

He interrupted me right back, “Yeah…”

“Like in a plane?”

“Yeah…,” he said parking near a building which had a sign that said, ‘Bret Corte Aeronautics’.

I could see several planes sitting a hundred feet or so away, “So… You know someone who’s going to fly us? Like, this late at night?” I’m sure I sounded pretty confused right now.

“No…,” he said turning the car off.

“Okay, I’m confused…”

“Well, let’s go see if we can clear away some of that confusion…”

Friday, March 29th 12:46 AM
Blake was incredibly patient with me and answered every one of my rapid-fire questions about what he intended on doing here tonight – which was flying us around Las Vegas. I must have looked skeptical, because he asked if I wanted to go. Aaaa... Yes! Are you kidding?! I answered him showing a little more excitement than I intended. I’m pretty sure I was blushing a few times during my Q&A session. My questions were:

How long have you been flying? “I’ve been flying for just over three years now.”

Do you have a license? “Of course… Would you like to see it?”

Whose plane is this? “I’m part of a, how do I explain this? The plane is like a time-share, I own 1/26th of it and can use it when it’s available and I can reserve it for a week each year. Cost me about five-grand to join - I bought in from a previous owner. I pay two-hundred a month to use it and keep it maintained and I have to pay for gas after using it.”

What kind of plane is it? “It’s a Cessna 170 SP. Has about a seven-hundred-mile range. It’s very easy to fly.”

How often do you fly? “I try to get up at least twice, three, four times a month, though a lot of that depends on if she’s booked or not. Luckily, she’s not used much or in the shop, so availability is rarely a problem. I fly more at night than the day-light hours because of my job... Catching the sunrise is pretty cool.”

I walked around the plane with him as he did his pre-flight inspection. He moved the thing up and down on the wings and back and forth at the tail. I was sure there were technical terms for these thing, but I didn’t know what he was doing or checking for so to me he was checking a ‘thingy’ or a 'Whatcha ma-call-it'. He kicked the tires – removed the chocks and tie-downs from the wings, looked into the engine compartment, and then unlocked the doors.

Next came getting me buckled in and set up with headphones. “You good,” he asked after I was buckled in securely - which he helped me with and he leaned in close enough that I got a very good whiff of that cologne. When he was helping with the headphones adjusted it would have been so easy, so natural to just lean in and kiss him... Be still my beating heart! Did he know the effect he was having on me?!

“Yeah,” I finally replied nervously, hoping he knew I was excited and not worried or afraid. I sat there looking around the four-seat plane – took a deep breath and smiled as he shut the door. He made sure it latched and gave me a ‘thumbs up’. I nodded, a big smile on my face. There was a steering wheel in front of me and pedals on the floor. Pretty sure I wasn’t going to be using those, especially if he didn’t want us to crash. The dashboard was full of gauges, dials, switches, and indicator lights. Why were there so many doodads to keep track of?

I felt giddy, with a huge dose of child-like excitement pounding in my heart. I’m getting to see Vegas at night from, I had no idea how many feet up we were going, an airplane! We were going to fly around the greater Vegas area in an airplane! AAAAHHHHH!!! How cool was this?! Blake opened the door on his side and noticed the perma-grin on my face, “You look like you’re already enjoying this…”

“This is pretty damn cool, I’m not gonna lie…”

“I’m glad you’re down for this…,” he said getting seated and situated. He opened a bag he’d brought - pulling out an iPad. He tapped the screen, unlocked it, and set about pulling some app up. When he was satisfied he slide it into a sleeve with straps and attached it to his leg, “In flight app,” he began, “Weather, wind, air traffic,” he tilted the display so I could see it. I nodded, big smile on my face like I was full of laughing gas from the dentist office. Get a grip! No, this was cool!

He explained a few other things, specifically the ‘open’ microphone when switched on to communicate with the tower or other planes. I got the point he was trying to make – not a good idea to say stupid stuff when others might be listening. He showed me where the switch was that kept our conversation between us and the setting for when we were broadcasting. The last thing was letting me know the controls in front of me were inert unless he switched them over to me. Okay, I didn’t have to worry about accidentally knocking the pedals or steering wheel – which he called a ‘yoke’. I’d heard that before, yoke, but still thought of it as a steering wheel.

“You ready,” he asked.

“Oh yeah…”

“Let’s get this show on the road then…,” he looked at a list he’d attached to the yoke, “Brakes – test and hold; shutoff valve in; circuit breakers – check; trim on; avionics master switch on; throttle open quarter inch; auxiliary pump on…”

The little light coming from the instrument panel flickered and a buzzing noise filled the quiet cockpit – I jumped, “What’s that?”

“Nothing to worry about, all part of getting her in the air…,” he said sounding sure of himself.

He continued speaking aloud his checklist items, checking fuel and even tapping a gauge with his finger – I have no idea why. When he was done he was holding a red knob in his right hand and turned the key with his left. The quiet still of the night was instantly gone as the engine came to life and vibrated my body like a car going down an old gravel road. The cockpit was illuminated a lot more by the instrument panel - now that power was being supplied to all the gauges and stuff. Blake continued with checking gauges with the engine running, adjusted something called ‘the mixture’, and reported the engine temperature was low - I hoped that was a good thing. I sat there wide-eyed and curious about everything happening around me. Seriously, how freak'n cool is this!!!

I watched him flip a switch and smiled even more as I heard his voice through the headphones, “Alright, wanna check that there’s a solid light out there on your wing tip?”

I looked towards the end of the wing, “I see a light…” Everything sounded odd through the communications system, his voice childlike pretend communications system funny. I was smiling so much I swear my face was going to start hurting.

“Okay, let me,” he put his hand on my seat and started to lean my way. My heart froze for a second thinking he was about to kiss me., but he was just glancing behind us, “We have a tail light…,” he announced. I watched him pop of the window open slightly and look to see if the light on the bottom of the plane flashing – I could see it flashing without having to crane my neck – but I’m sure he was being diligent.

AAHHH! How cool is this! OMG!!

“Alright, you’re officially my co-pilot this evening. We’ll be cruising at an altitude of roughly twelve-thousand feet and at about one-hundred and twenty-five miles per hour. Unfortunately, there will be no in-flight beverage service this evening – unless you snuck a couple little bottles from your room out of the hotel….”

I giggled, “Thank you captain… This is pretty cool, I’m impressed...”

“You’re very welcome… I’m glad you’re enjoying this so far.”

Without warning the plane began to move and I looked around as if we had just stolen the damn thing. Surprisingly the vibrations running through the plane seemed to smooth out, though the engine was a little louder. I didn’t see anyone chasing us, so this must be a legit…

“Alright, I’m going to check-in with the tower and then announce to McCarren my intentions,” he looked down at the now dimmed iPad, “Skies look pretty clear, so we won’t be in anyone’s way.” He took my hand and gave it a quick squeeze, then flipped a switch on the instrument panel, “VGT – N4034V request 30L departure, taxi now…”

“N4034V – cleared, 30 Left H, crosswind 5, Northwest 3-1-0, flight plan route recorded, safe travels…”

“Thank you VGT…,” Blake flipped the switch again, “Okay, we’re good to get out of here – just need to ping McCarren. Still good over there?”

“Yup…” I had all this nervous energy and no outlet! Why did I have this overwhelming urge, want to kiss him?! Should I? Like, as a thank you? No... Wait until we land.

Switch flipped, “LAS – N4034V departure, Northwest 3-1-0, VFR…”

There was a long delay and as soon as I looked at Blake questioning what was taking so long, McCarran replied, “Confirmed… N4034V, Northwest 3-1-0, VFR…”

Okay, that was short and to the point. Blake flipped the switch, so it was just us talking, “I probably woke someone up over there. I mean it’s late, that guy sound cranky to you?”

“Yeah, I was wondering why there wasn’t much to say from them…” I mean, the guy could have said all kinds of crap and I would have still been like, ‘WOW! I’m going flying in an airplane!!’.

Blake checked his iPad, “Nothing close up there… Think a Southwest flight is the closest jet out there and it’s a good hundred-twenty miles away…”

In my head I was screaming ‘LET’S GO! LET’S GO!!!’.

Friday, March 29th 1:09 AM
The taxi portion of this trip seemed like it took FOREVER! We drove, and drove, and drove… I just wanted to be up in the air! At whatever '30L H' was we turned, went a little further and turned again pointing down a long runway bordered with lights that seemed to lead into the black of the night.

“You ready?”

“Yes! I can’t wait…,” I replied.

“Roger that…,” he said.

The engine spun up smoothly and we began moving again. In less time than I thought possible I felt my stomach drop as we left the runway and the little plane began climbing. OMG! OMG! I looked out the window at the disappearing black hole that was the airport, at the surrounding area lit up with twinkling lights… OMG!

I looked over at Blake, I could see him smiling, “Yes? What’s that smile all about Mr. Schultz?”

“Nothing, you’re like a little kid right now… I love that,” he said looking to his left and then past me, “This is a really good night for flying. Lot of people don’t like flying at night, but I like it – it’s very peaceful.”

We were still climbing, and he was right about me being all childlike and giddy. This was pretty damn cool and something I'd never done before - so of course I was going to be excited. I mean how many… Oh, now there’s a thought, how many times had he pulled this stunt on other women? Was he a player and this was his patented move? Why did that thought come to mind? Does it matter… “This is so very cool, and I appreciate you taking me out… Up here I mean…,” I said still trying to get used to the sound of my voice in the headphones.

“I wanted to do something unexpected. Sounds like I accomplished that…,” he replied with a little chuckle.

“You did,” I looked out my window, “Am I the first you’ve brought up on a night flight?” I turned to look for his reaction, he didn’t even flinch. The question was a gamble and I asked it not being able to contain myself, my curiosity.

“No, there was one other who’s gotten this treatment… Wasn’t a surprise though, she knew we were doing it.”

“Was she impressed?” As soon as I asked that, I regretted it. My impulsiveness might have just ruined this flight. I should have held back, waited to see if he offered up the answer to that question on his own or other information about the last time he took a woman for a night flight. AUGH! I had just pushed the matter. Would he think I was... AUGH! Stupid, stupid! Did I even want to know what he was doing up here with another woman? What is my freak'n deal?!

It took a few seconds before he replied, “I think so, but you could ask her next time you talk to her…”

He was now looking at me, studying my face in the dim cockpit lighting for my reaction to his response. What does that mean? I could ask some random woman? I shook my head slightly, “Nah, I was just curious whether this was a patented move of yours or not…,” I tried to giggle, but it felt forced. I’d laid out and stepped in this pile of shit – I was hoping he’d let it go. Please, please think I was just trying to be cute, funny - not bitchy or something else…

There was another uncomfortable pause, “My mom… I took her up right after I moved out here and bought into this plane.”

Augh… My stomach dropped again, but it had nothing to do with the flight. “Your mom?”

“Yeah… She was cool with flying, not so much at night. I think in the end she enjoyed it though…”

His mom… Crap! Why did I even ask? Is he going to think I’m clingy, jealous, petty, or needed his dating history? I'm so stupid! Did it matter to me if it wasn’t his mom? Shit! “Good for her…,” I said hoping that was going to be the end of this conversation.

“Do you have a question you really want to ask?”

“No… I was just wondering if this was something you did often...,” I replied not really sure of myself or my answer. Change the subject, ask him a question, “Is the airspace around the strip protected?” Good one! Not sure where I pulled out that question from, but I hoped it did the trick.

“No, but there is usually a pretty crowded sky over the city with tourists trying to get a better idea of the cities layout or going on scenic flights. We’re going to be swinging around here in a minute and head south, then east over the strip.”

“How high are we,” I asked trying to permanently bury any more talk about other women.

“We’re just clearing seven-grand…”

“And we’re going higher, like to twelve-thousand?”

“Yeah… See out that way,” he was pointing straight, but a little left, “See that faint glow? Know what that is?”

I was straining to see any glow, faint or not, but guess I saw something - maybe, “Ah, I don’t know. Is that… Isn’t there a big dam around here? Hoover dam?”

He chuckled, “The Hoover dam is behind us by about thirty, forty miles…. No, the curvature of the earth makes it possible, when the weather is good, to see light bouncing off the atmosphere, clouds and whatever. That glow of lights is from," he paused for effect, "Los Angeles…”

“No way…,” I exclaimed.

“Yes way,” he said mocking the surprise in my voice.

“That’s crazy… I would never have guessed that…”

“Surprised me too when I first figured that out…”

Okay, saved from my stupidity a few moments ago! Keep it up. Questions, more questions. “Could you fly to LA, San Diego?”

“I’ve flown to San Diego… Don’t think my mom liked that though. I don't think she trusts these little Cessna’s to stay airborne or something,” he said gently banking the plane to the left.

Slowly, Vegas proper began to come into view as we began heading south. It was beautiful – the light shining through the top of the Luxor hotel, the various colored lights of the strip’s main hotel properties, all so beautiful. “How long did it take you to fly to San Diego? Did you have to stop for gas?”

“N4034V – Southwest 344 at twenty-thousand descending, two-eighteen knots, twenty-six miles south. Confirm…”

Blake held up a finger, then flipped the radio switch, “LAS – Southwest 344, twenty-six miles my position. Vector 1-8-3 in 5 Mike. Thank you…”

“N4034V – Copy, Vector 1-8-3, 5 Mike…”

Blake looked at me after flipping the radio switch, “They’re just letting me know about that Southwest jet coming in to land and if we stayed on this course we’d be closer, than they’d like us to be to them. There are restrictions around McCarran and heavy fines for violating those rules,” he chuckled like it was no big deal – the contact from the McCarran air traffic controllers, “Told them we’re going five more miles and then flying east over the strip. Very common call – they pretty much know what I’m doing up here…”

“So, everyone’s happy, no issues,” I asked.

“Yeah, we’re good…,” he paused a moment and then decided he wasn’t going to follow-up his answer with some other comment or question.

“What? You were about to ask me something?”

“What happened at the hotel with you and that woman?”

I turned to look out the window and hoped he couldn’t see my body stiffen. No way I was going to get into details, “Pretty much she caught her boyfriend, no fiancé – Dana’s brother no less, coming on to me. I have no idea what he said to her, but whatever it was she blamed me. She was pissed and spewing a bunch of crap. The security people got there quickly and ordered her out of the area. That’s pretty much it…” I took a breath, held it, and hoped that ended the conversation.

“Did he come on to you?”

“He did, but it wasn’t meant to be… He is engaged and that’s drama I didn’t need…” I didn’t want to lie about what happened, but I wasn’t going to tell him anything more. Tyler was a mistake, a big one. I wasn’t thinking clearly, and all that other shit was collateral damage. I was skirting the line between truth and outright lying - creatively choosing my words. He didn’t need all the details to have an opinion – he had to know I wasn’t a nun or something. Talking about Tyler or Jennifer wasn't something I really wanted to do right now...

“Wow, that sounds like it was a lot of drama for a whole lot of nothing,” he said while moving a plunger looking thing on the instrument panel. The engine sounded different after that, like we were slowing, no longer climbing.

“Are we slowing down?”

“We’re at our cruising altitude, just trimming the fuel mixture so we’re not over stressing the engine… Do you date much?”

I was dreading this line of questioning, but I guess the Tyler thing must have raised some questions in his mind, “No, it’s… No,” I shook my head, “I’m not really doing that very much. I… I’m still working on becoming who I am…” Oh God! I don’t want to explain or even say that I’m not ‘complete’ out loud. I really don’t want to talk about this subject either…

“I’ve dated a couple women since coming to Vegas, but I was on the rebound and working so much those attempts to get back into dating fizzled quickly. Dating is tough these days...”

The plane began banking gently to the left and it looked like we were lined up just to the left of the main drag. I was happy the conversation was taking another path and it wasn’t focused on me. Curious though, he said ‘rebound’ – wonder what that was about? “So, you were in a relationship that ended? Was that before you moved to Vegas?” I wasn’t sure I should be asking, but he offered up that nugget in his background on dating, so I was taking a stab at it.

“Yeah, she was a Jersey girl. We discussed my taking the job at the Grand Cayman and she was cool about it, even agreeing to move out here after I got established…”

“Oh… I’m sorry,” I couldn’t help but put a hand on his shoulder momentarily, “How long were you two together,” I asked.

“Just over three years. She broke it off as soon as I accepted the job,” he shrugged, “Wasn’t meant to be I guess. Funny, I had bought a ring and was going to propose – guess I dodged a bullet…”

Oh shit… My heart dropped a little and I felt a sorrowful pang. It didn’t surprise me that he was moving in that direction – wanting to lock that woman up before he moved from the east coast to Vegas. How she could toss three years of being together out like that was kind of confusing, “Well, she… Her loss…” I hoped I sounded supportive. What do you say about a situation like he’d been through?

“Yeah, I guess.”

Friday, March 29th 2:25 AM
Conversationally speaking - I definitely broke out my best wet blanket and draped it over what should have been a prime opportunity to get to know Blake better. My stupidity for implying his night flight thing was used a lot and my dancing around the Tyler thing, were my leading hunches about what set this cool evening into a tail spin. Augh, not funny, a plane joke - really? Might have been better if we crash landed... Augh... Is a crash considered a landing? Focus!!

I wasn't sure the security report written up didn't included Jennifer's accusation that Tyler and I had slept together. If it had, then Blake knew I was dancing around the truth. And while I didn't lie - I did answer his questions without any glaring lies - he probably knew what really went down. Was I self-sabotaging? No! If he knew about Tyler, why pursue me? Tonight was a pursuit, right? This is so confusing! Are guys this confusing like this normally?

After he'd talked about his ex, almost fiancé, the mood changed in the cockpit of the little plane. Was that the moment this night crashed? It wasn't like we didn't talk about things, I mean Blake talked about the strip as we were flying over it and we even flew over the condominium he lived at, but the vibe was different after his ex admission. I could feel it, sense it. And shortly after that we were landing - much sooner than I expected or hoped. We weren't in the air more than twenty minutes, secured the plane, and he drove me back to the hotel. We even talked all the way back to the hotel, but I would classify it as him being polite, a sterile politeness...

I replayed everything I had said and just could not put a finger on what happened. I was so close to just asking him if I'd crossed some line or if I could explain further something I had said that might have bothered him. But, the evening ended at the door to my room with a hug and a thank you for the amazing night. I kept thinking, 'Kiss me... Kiss me...', let me make it up to you somehow - but the evening was over after the hug. I felt completely deflated and wiped. If I could get to sleep I would be sleeping deep tonight for sure!

I text mom that I was back in my room. Of course that lead to a few texts back and forth:

Me: "Home safe..."

Mom: "How were it."

Me: ignoring her phone's auto-correct "Fine."

Mom: "Just fine?"

Me: "I'm tired, talk to you at breakfast, K?"

Mom: "Sure honey. You're okay?"

Me: "Yeah. I love you mom. G'night"

Mom: "Love you too. Good night."

Friday, March 29th 2:47 AM
Showered, makeup removed, and nightly moisturizing routine - complete. I had my super comfy oversize t-shirt on, set an alarm, and my single focus now was melting into this bed and trying to get five hours of sleep before needing to get up, get packed, and meet everyone downstairs for breakfast at 9:00 AM. It's been fun Vegas... I won't be back!

--------------------------------------------
Authors Note: Don't be afraid to "Like" this story if it's doing anything for you (you don't have to have an account to do so and there are no prizes for most likes). If there are problems or you have criticism you'd like to share publicly or via a message or email ([email protected]) - I'd love to address them if I can. I'm trying to grow as a story teller, I'm far from perfect, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks for reading...

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dating for those of us like Brea......

D. Eden's picture

Is very awkward and intimidating.

What does the other person know? Could they possibly like me? How could anyone like me?

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Yes...

RachelMnM's picture

And in this bit of fiction it's portrayed pretty tamely. The gut wrenching anxiety and constant over thinking of every word said, every look, action, second guessing everything - it can be maddening. I think Brea is ready to be done with Vegas and get back to some normality, familiar turf.

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

Brea Definitely Gets in Her Own Way

Overthinking is exactly what I've thought about a number of her interactions. I don't think Blake would be scared off if he was interested. The physical distance between them likely makes a serious relationship a non-starter though.

Great posting. I'm disappointed that sparks didn't fly, but the way it played out keeps the conflict/uncertainty going within the story and has a more "real" feeling to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Tripped up...

RachelMnM's picture

Totally agree. If she let things come to her rather than jumping ahead and supposing a certain outcome, well - things might be a whole lot easier for her... Distance would really be a problem if they ever got to a relationship place. She's got her entire support network there in San Diego and Vegas - it's been rough on her, so doubt relocating would be on her mind.

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

Did Blake Have Plans?

Obviously we're getting this from Brea's POV, and it's not at all surprising that she was second-guessing everything that happened up there. But as a consequence, we (or I, anyway) have no clue as to what Blake's plans were when the two of them got on the plane. Was it really supposed to be a romantic overture until the discussion about his ex destroyed the atmosphere? Possible, I guess. As Brea noted, we don't know what if anything he knew about Brea and Tyler. I'd expect next to nothing, except that Blake throughout the story has known more about Brea than Brea expected him to.

Or was it just the innocent adventure that it seemed to be presented as, with Brea as excited as a child about the flight? The trouble I have with that notion is that if Blake had wanted to keep things light, I don't think he would have asked about the incident at the hotel while they were in the air.

Eric

Dating while Trans...

RachelMnM's picture

Rarely goes as planned. Some men are curious - to a point, for some it's a fetish, and for a tiny sliver of the male populous they can see past the "Trans" and see the real person before them. With as up and down as this week has been for Brea - second guessing has pretty much been the standard. Reading Blake has been no easy feat and being from Brea's POV you get her slanted read on everything, her second guessing, her insecurities, and her missing cues. Blake's intentions - knowing that would be key to unlocking their evening.

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...