Pen Pals : 5

Printer-friendly version
Pen Pals
by Breanna Ramsey
of the Pen Pal Continuum




Okay, introductions first I guess. My name is Kendall Green, I'm 25 and I live in Hallandale, Florida, about fifteen miles north of Miami. I don't have a cute nickname I'm afraid; just Kendall. I'm a single mom, I've lived here about six years now, and my son Taylor and I share a small house with my friend Sharon and her daughter Cami.

Let's see, what else can I tell you about me? I love to cook and I'm good at it. I'm also a fair hand behind a bar. Sharon runs her own catering business, and I help her out sometimes tending bar. I love all kinds of music and I'd have to say that dancing is a passion of mine. Of course the biggest love of my life is Taylor>; I'll do anything for my baby. I'm a bit of an exercise freak … okay maybe more than a bit. I jog, bike, weight-train; Bowflex really should send me a Christmas card every year.

I have to admit I feel a bit intimidated. So far we've got one person working on a master's degree, another working on a doctorate, and two 17 year olds in this course! What's next, a Nobel Prize winner looking to pick up another degree for kicks?

Then we have me; I got pregnant my junior year in high school. Taylor was born that June, and I went to work instead of back to school. While my former classmates were going to prom and graduating, I was working as a waitress at a truck stop out by the interstate. I finally got my GED two years ago, and now I'm working online towards a degree in business administration. It's slow going, but my work schedule makes taking classes in person pretty much impossible.

Despite the intimidation factor, I'm looking forward to this whole thing. I'm a very outgoing person and I love meeting new people. I can't wait to get to know everyone here; I've never been outside Florida, and the chance to communicate with people from all over is really exciting … even if I do feel like Pinky in a group full of Brains.

Kendall

up
41 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ICR: from Star

Hi Kendall,

I knew a girl in Elementary school who's name was Kendall. She went by Kandi until middle school. I think part of the reason, she changed it was because she put on some weight. She was very sweet. oops another bad pun. so if you wanted a nick name we could call you that. ;)

How old is Taylor? what is it like in Florida, I've never been. do you have Alligators there? You know, we could become really good friends, You like to cook, and I like to eat. ;)

oh, and just between you and me? I feel like Pinky around these people too.

<3 <3 <3 *Star* <3 <3 <3

ICR: from Kendall

Breanna Ramsey's picture

Hi Star!

Taylor is a very precocious eight; sometimes he acts more mature than me. Florida is great, IMHO, but I've lived here my whole life so I'm biased. Yes, we have alligators; it's just a short drive west to the Everglades.

Don't sell yourself short, sweetie. When I was your age, I was already a mother and a high school drop-out. You're getting a diploma and a degree ... that just amazes me.

Thanks for the suggestion on a nickname, but I think I'll stick with just Kendall.

Hugs,

Kendall

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

ICR: from Ginanna


Okay, before this gets out of hand it is Ginanna, G i n a n n a. That's Gina and Anna combined dropping out one of the double *a*s in the middle.

Sounds like you have salvaged your life after making a teenager's mistake, Kendall. From the sound of it Taylor is a good kid and worth your scrifice. Don't feel like your some dummy here. I bet you have earned a masters at least in early childhood development and nursing care. Those might be good fields for you to look at as you restart your education.

Oh don't go with Kandi,as *sweet* a nickname as it was intended. Kandi will quickly become Candi, Candee or Candy and people will think you earn money on the side as an exotic dancer, um, stripping? Believe me *I* know.

Some *friends* of mine, they aren't anymore, took me out on a *girls-night-out* a while back. They said I was studying too hard and needed to blow off some steam. This was partway into the time when the nasty stuff started happening to me but I trusted ... We ate, went to a bar, had many rounds of drinks. They got me plasterd, I'm not much of a drinker. I ended waking up in a nightclub where they were dragging me *onstage* to strip for *ameture nite*. I ran out in tears, staggered out was more like it, to them laughing. One of the girls felt sorry and drove me home. I'm still intouch with her but ...

I shouldn't vent on you, sorry.

What's it like having a baby, being pregnant? I'm enveous of you, Kendall. I've been thinking of but then I think of how people treat me and how I'm not on speaking terms with my family and I can't see bringing an innocent into this shit, pardon my expletive.

Ginanna Agatha Sachs

P.S. How about Kay?

John in Wauwatosa

ICR: from Kendall - Funny you should mention that

Breanna Ramsey's picture

As a matter of fact, I am a stripper. I'm not ashamed of it; most of the time it's a lot of fun and more importantly, I make very good money. I've been dancing for a little over 6 years now, and I already have enough set aside to be sure that Taylor will be able to go to any college he chooses. Like I said, I'll do anything for my baby. I don't want to give you the impression I chose this path out of desperation though. We were getting by fine before I started dancing, but I wanted to do more than just get by.

I'm very sorry about what your *friends* did -- it was rotten to say the least. You're better off without people like that in your life. You mentioned in your intro that you were a late bloomer; I was just the opposite. I learned pretty early that my body was my biggest asset, and yes, that attitude got me into trouble more than once. I would have never chosen to become a mother at 17, but even though he was a 'mistake', I love Taylor with all my heart and wouldn't change a thing.

What was it like being pregnant and having a baby? It was, quite honestly, the most miserable nine months of my life. There was a lot of emotional distress and the physical discomfort -- well, did you ever stuff a pillow under a t-shirt to see what you'd look like pregnant? That can't convey the half of it. Try a pillow filled with water and strapped so tight that it squashes your insides together and throws your balance totally off. That only begins to give you an idea of what a pain it is, but that's just a prelude to the real pain. I was in labor for almost 8 hours with Taylor, and if I'd known who his father was I woulda been cussing him out -- as it was I had to settle for cussing out men in general.

I wasn't sure how I was going to react when I finally gave birth. There was a lot of pressure for me to give him up for adoption, but in the end I couldn't do that. I know you have some issues with your parents, Ginanna -- I have my own, but that's a story for another day. But when the nurse handed me this little bundle of pink, squirming baby boy, I looked at that precious little face and saw my own green eyes staring back at me and I was in love. Like I said, I wouldn't change a thing.

Anyway, don't look down on those of us who choose to work as strippers. We're people too, after all.

Kendall

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

ICR: from Ginanna

Kendall, I feel like such a bitch. Please forgive me.

I didn't mean to say strippers are bad people, well I guess I did, didn't I? I should have said I was angry they set me up. If it hadn't been for an attack of conscious on the one woman's part I'd have been walking alone in a not too good part of town late at night barely able to stand. I could have gotten raped.

I hope you have someone to look out for you when you are dancing. I know of a few girls who dabbled in exotic dancing to help pay for college and they had mixed experiences. They said it was okay most of the time but had bad experiences with drunks and perverts. Mind you I waitressed a little, for spending money to supplement my scholarships, and gave it up after all the leers and butt pinches.

What is it with men and how they treat women with big boobs, I mean breasts? Men find me attractive since I bloomed, some women too, but I don’t get the respect I used to from my teachers or, well, anyone, not even many women. That last fact angers me the most. Far too many seem to think, and I know this is a bad Hollywood stereotype, that the bigger the breasts the smaller the brain and the looser the morals. I like being attractive; I like the attention. I even liked, correct that LOVED, doing *it*. God what I missed out on developing so late. The problem is when some people see me and my curves they think, "Airhead" and/or "Slut".

When I finally did have sex I used protection and the Pill, I’m careful like that. I don’t blame you for getting pregnant so young. I was older when I first had sex and it was … WOW. It must be easy to forget the risks and give into the passion. I very nearly did and I was in college my first time. I’m sorry you’re not sure who the boy was who got you pregnant. That is not your fault, well, I suppose it’s partially yours but no big deal. You got a great kid out of it.

Was pregnancy all that uncomfortable? I see a few young mothers on campus and I get this longing. Damn, I’m an emotional wreck, aren’t I?

I agree with you, since I *developed* I found out what an advantage being a looker is but the downside has been bitter. Sorry you have problems with your parents. You seem like a daughter they should be proud of. I know being a teen mom must have hurt them, parents are weird that way given that so many of them were teen parents themselves. Still you’ve provided for your boy’s future and are returning to school. So what’s the f***ing deal? I must apologize; I have a foul mouth when I am upset.

Don’t tell me, it’s the dancing?

Ginanna Agatha Sachs

John in Wauwatosa

ICR: from Danny


If it's any consolation, I don't know how this is all going to pan out either.

It's the first time I've done anything like this, but that's not to say it won't work is it?

It's interesting as we seem quite a varied bunch.

Danny