A Thief’s Problem –chp7

Printer-friendly version

A Thief’s Problem.

142px-US_Marshal_Badge.png

Sister Magdalena, a.k.a. Angelic DeMarco, finds evidence of more than just illegal art trade while recovering a stolen painting in the home of a known criminal. Her investigation leds to the US and a very problematic situation with the US Department of Justice.

by Snowfall and Jessie Wolf.

Dedicated to the men and women of the US Marshal Service.

Edited by my husband Paul, and AJC Snowfall.

~o~O~o~


This is a work of fiction an any persons in this work are purely fictional.


Chapter 7
Smiling John’s KOA, Hollywood, FL

Kasey, and Kristine hooked up their hard drives to the Earth Roamer’s computers the second they were secure. With the information they had stripped from Vickers’ home computers on the way back to ONYSSIUS and the command team for further examination, the girls started scanning the ledger books that were recovered from Vickers’ safe. This was hard evidence of Vickers’ participation in the conspiracy. The ledgers were also the connection between Abrams, Price, Vickers and two other unknown suspects.

While the girls were handling the recovered evidence Bobby and Hunter were over at the campground showers cleaning up. By the time they returned the girls were set to get their own showers and change. With the girls out of the way, the two men sat down and took care of cleaning their equipment. First up were the Tactical .45 pistols. With only four weapons to clean and oil, the two men had them done in next to no time. Next was their team’s dive gear. While the Black Badges didn’t use the equipment often, they still took care of all their equipment. The team did everything it could to ensure their success in their duties. Taking care of all their equipment was just one part of their daily choirs to ensure that success.

When the girls returned; they were dressed in shorts, t-shirts and sandals. To the outside observer they appeared to be your everyday tourist teenagers. Both girls gave their fathers a quick hug and got to work helping them clean their equipment from last night’s raid. The sun was just rising as the women of the Black Badge team returned. Bobby just smiled and pointed towards the campground showers. “Go get cleaned up first. It’s best that the civilians don’t see you four right now. We got time until we have to report in.”

Maria returned his smile and led her half of the team to get cleaned up and changed. A half-hour later they all returned wearing something similar to Kasey and Kristine. The only difference was the adults were wearing capri pants or leggings instead of shorts. Annette stopped at the Grey Ghost to grab the donuts, coffee and her bag. With all of the adults gathered around the table Annette placed the boxes in the center along with the coffee. She kept the bag as she found her seat next to Bobby.

Maria watched her daughter as she pulled out the first bagel. Maria noticed that it was topped with lox, cream cheese, tomato, sliced onion, cucumbers and something else.

Keeping her features schooled, Maria asked her daughter sweetly. “Annette, dear, does that bagel have peanut butter?”

In just about any other setting Maria’s seemingly innocent question would not have near the impact. Bobby, and Hunter both looked over at their wife in confusion. Samantha fell out of her chair as she dropped her chocolate glazed donut with sprinkles. Kasey and Kristine both spit milk out their noses. As surprising as Maria question was, Annette’s answer would be a nuke going off.

Smiling happily around a mouthful of bagel, Annette answered her mother. “Yes, ma’am. Oh god, this just tastes so good! I have two more if you want half?”

“Annette. Just how long have you been craving toasted sesame seed bagels with lox, cream cheese, tomato, sliced onion, cucumbers AND peanut butter?” Once again Maria’s seemingly innocent question had greater impact among her team than one would expect.

The teens were lost in true confusion. The men were staring at Annette with anticipation. Samantha who had barely regained her seat joined her husbands in staring. For the first time Angelic felt that something far more important was going on with her aunt’s team.

“I started getting the cravings about three weeks ago mama. Why?” Annette took another bite of her bagel and munched happily.

“When was you last monthly visitor? Be honest with me please?” Maria asked.

Swallowing her current mouthful Annette got a thoughtful look on her face. It took her a few minutes to figure out the answer. “Um… just over seven weeks ago. Right after we took down those four gunrunners in Phoenix for Lyssa and the Major. Then I started to get the carvings a week later. Ish.”

Maria turned to Kasey. “Kasey take Big Blue and find a Walgreens or Walmart. Get three different Home Pregnancy test kits. Use cash.”

Kasey didn’t even blink an eye. She just ran inside the Earth Roamer grabbed her purse. When she came back out, Kasey just climbed by the wheel of the blue F-150 and started the engine. Samantha was the first to regain her ability to talk among the adult members of the Deputies.

“Mom are you saying that Annette might be pregnant?” Samantha asked her.

“That is exactly what I’m saying. Especially if she is having that craving.” Maria just looked down at Annette who was ignoring the others. She was enjoying her bagel too much to care right now. Her craving was finally being satisfied. That was all that she cared about.

“Aunt Maria I know that this is going to sound harsh, but what about our mission? How will this effect what we must do?” Angelic didn’t want to just drop everything because of her cousin’s pregnancy.

“If Annette tests positive. Then I’ll send her back to the island on the next available flight. Then we will continue on with what people we do have.” Looking around at the gathered team members. “ALL of which are far more capable than what most Special Operations Group Teams can dream of having.”

“Mumu’s sright A’gel’c. Unter n’ Booby, r’ ‘wo o’ the est rackers’ ther’ ‘s. Sam ‘s th’ Hem’ock Roos’. Un r’ girls kno’ mor’ about comp’ters than uo or us.” Annette told Angelic smiling with a mouth full of bagel and toppings.

Angelic just sat there shaking her head with a sigh she turned to Samantha. “Semmi, could you please translate that for me. Her subtitles aren’t working.”

“What our dear Annette said is that ‘Mom is right, Angelic. Hunter and Bobby are two of the best trackers there is. I am the current Hemlock Rose. And our daughters know more about computers than you or any of us.” Samantha poked Annette in the ribs. “Next time finish chewing and swallow before answering someone’s question, sis.”

This time Annette swallowed then stuck her tongue out at Samantha. “Don’t interrupt me. It’s not my fault she can’t understand English.”

“Enough you two.” Maria snapped. “Annette no more talking while eating; you know better. Samantha you will give your sister some leeway here. Half her problem right now is that damned craving is driving her crazy.”

“Er!” Kristine added.

Maria tried not to smile. “Indeed.”

Both women just nodded their heads yes as Maria handed out her orders. “Good. Now that we’ve taken care of the lesson in manners. Kristine, were you able to compile a packet for Stronghold?”

Angelic raised her hand. “Excuse me, Marshal. But who is this Stronghold you keep referring to? I don’t mean to sound ignorant, but are they the people back on the island?”

Six sets of hard cold eyes turned on Angelic as Maria answered her niece. “Stronghold is our Operations Command Center. They monitor our activities while in the field. As for WHO they are, that is none of the Iscariot Division’s concern. Am I understood, Sister Magdalena?”

“I owe them nothing anymore, Marshal.” Setting actions to words Angelic reached under her blouse collar and removed the solid black rosery of the Iscariot Division. Angelic dropped the rosary on the table. “My Superiors sent me here to handle this mess. They had to know what I would find. They had to be hoping that I would break. Then they could reshape me into a more useful tool. I will not become their personal weapon.”

“You do not have to leave the faith Angelic. You don’t even have to leave the Church.” Maria placed her hand on her niece’s shoulder giving her a sad but knowing smile. “We can fly you out as well. I can have you in one of your old Order Houses by the end of the day. All you have to do is ask.”

“No ma’am. I will complete this mission first. See it to the end. Then I will deal with those that believe they can manipulate a DeMarco for personal gain.” The snarl in Angelic’s voice left no doubt about how she planned to deal with her superiors in the Iscariot Division. Maria just sighed. She knew that this would happen.

“In our hands rests the blade of vengeance and justice. Take care as they cut both ways, niece.” Maria knew that after what had happened at Vickers' home and the warehouse earlier that Angelic would have a hard time returning to the Sisterhood. She had been forced by her superiors in the Iscariot Division and circumstances to break one of her vows. Maria knew the young woman had reluctantly joined their ranks as a Moonless Wraith. Now that she had it would be hard turning her from the path of revenge.

“I remember my lessons at Grandmother’s knee aunt Maria. I will not let my need for justice turn to a thirst for revenge. That is not the way of our family. I can wait for when the time comes.” Angelic never took her eyes off the solid black rosary. “He wanted to turn me into a weapon. Now, he has. I just won’t let him control me the way he wants.”

“Who is this Priest cousin?” Annette asked quietly. She knew that her family had been burned by the Iscariots in the past, and Samantha more recently.

“Monsignor Johnathan Delacorte, Head of the Art Recovery Division within the Iscariot Order. Why?” Angelic asked as she looked at the others.

“Kristine, can you hack into the records of the Iscariot Order from here?” Samantha asked just above a snarl.

The teen just gave her mother a look of ‘Are you kidding’ before setting actions to words. The adults just sat back and enjoyed their donuts and coffee or in Annette’s case bagels as the teen worked. After about ten minutes Kristine stopped and put in her earbuds. Hitting play, the teenager fell away into the ether of cyberspace.

As Kristine worked, Kasey returned with the requested test kits. Looking over at Kristine and what she was doing, the older teen just handed the kits to her mother and grabbed her earbuds before sitting down in front of her laptop. She never said a word to the adults. She just hit play and dove into cyberspace next to her sister. Within seconds, the world's only Gemini Deity class CyberWarfare Operator was slicing their way into the very heart of the oldest Intelligence Agency in the world.

Angelic just sat there watching in awe as this pair of teenagers slipped through the firewall and security of one of the most secure systems in the known world. All with nothing more than a pair of laptops. “Holy Mary, mother of our Savoir and Lord. If they can do this with just a pair of laptops. What could they do with access to a full server array?”

The other adults just chuckled as they all realized that Kasey and Kristine already had access to just such an array. One so powerful that it had few if any counterparts in the Western hemisphere. Named after the ancient Greek God of Retribution; ONYSSIUS and redesigned by a Cyber Warfare Operator that no longer had a classification. Of the gathered adults, only Maria truly understood what her granddaughters were able to do with the continuous connection and the array back on Ram’s Rock. She also knew the dangers that the two teens faced when they went diving.

“Annette now that you’ve finished that second bagel take those test kits and use them.” She ordered from where she stood behind the teens. When Annette didn't get up immediately but instead reached for her third bagel Maria snapped. “I just gave you an order, Deputy. Carry it out!”

Annette blinked and grabbed the bag from Walgreens. “Yes ma’am.”

“Samantha, go with her. Make sure she uses all three if she can.” Maria ordered. Maria needed to be positive before their morning briefing with Stronghold. Because if Annette was pregnant, she would be flying out that afternoon and Paul would need to be notified of the change in personnel.

Both women moved to carry out their mother’s order without question. Bobby and Hunter looked over at Maria and their daughters. Something had been bothering the two men ever since they first took this operation. Now that they were basically alone, they decided to broach the subject.

“Mom, you and the girls have been on pins and needles ever since we took this assignment. What the fuck is going on between the DeMarco’s and this Iscariot Division? It’s not like you haven’t dealt with spies before.” Hunter asked her bluntly as he gave Angelic a hard glare.

“Do not blame her boys. This is something that goes back over centuries. The DeMarco and Capizeo families have crossed paths one too many times with the Iscariot Division. Every time the Iscariot Division has tried to double cross one of the two families if not both. The last time wasn’t pretty. It sent the only surviving member of a Capizeo family on a killing spree. A killing spree of revenge that ended with the life of the Iscariot Priest that gave them the order.” It didn’t take a building falling on Bobby and Hunter’s heads to know who Maria was talking about. They knew about Samantha’s days of hiding out from the Mob in Toledo before she finally made her way to the US Federal Building.

“Hold up mom. I know that there was a bunch of Priests that helped Samantha out back then. They even went so far as to hide her for a few days. She and they said so.” Bobby knew that there was more to this story that they had never heard. Now was his chance to get another piece of the puzzle that is Samantha Justice. “Just who was this Priest that sent Samantha on that killing spree?”

Maria sighed. She could tell that even Angelic wanted to know more about that time in her cousin’s life. Checking to make sure that Kasey and Kristine were lost to the world around them gave the three a hard stare. “What I tell you must never be repeated to those back home. AM I understood?”

A round of ‘yes ma’am’ answered her question. “Just after her family was butchered Samantha made her way to St. Jadwiga of Poland Catholic Church. There the Priests gave her sanctuary. That was until three days later. A Priest of the Iscariot Division arrived from Rome. He had been sent to verify the deaths of the Capizeo family. When he found Samantha, no; Joseph there he became angered with the Priests of St. Jadwiga. Instead of extending the sanctuary of the Church to Joseph he threw him out.”

“Wait a minute here. I thought that the Church was basically required to provide sanctuary to any and all who seek it within their walls.” Hunter demanded. He had had too many runners use that a way to escape arrest.

“It doesn’t always happen Hunter. Any Church can extend or refuse to give sanctuary to someone. They don’t have to give a reason.” Angelic explained. “And there are Orders within the Church that can revoke sanctuary once it has been given. The Iscariot Division is just one such Order.”

“Okay; so we got some asshole Priest, showing up and revoking Samantha’s sanctuary. The fuck stick then throws her out into the streets. Did he know about the bounty that was on her head?” Bobby snarled. He was rapidly coming to understand why his First Wife had such a hard-on hate for the Order.

Maria took a deep breath and slowly let it out her nose before continuing. “Yes. The man knew all about that bounty. In fact, the Iscariot Division had known about the hit on Joseph and his family for months prior. They saw it as an opportunity to rid themselves of an extremely painful thorn in their side. Namely one of the two families of the Moonless Wraith Guild and the current Hemlock Rose. Hoping that the mob would finally remove the one family of assassins that is more feared than the DeMarco’s.”

“Wait. Are you saying that the Capizeo family was more feared than the DeMarco’s? I find that hard to believe aunt Maria.” Angelic was astounded by this revaluation. “I’ve always been told that the DeMarco family was the most feared of assassins.”

“That has been a recent development Angelic. Remember it took two whole families to kill off the Capizeo family back home in Sicily. Even at six-to-one odds the Capizeo family did not go quietly. They took both families to the grave with them.” Gave Angelic an appraising glare. “Did you not pay attention in your lessons with your grandmother?”

“Oh, I paid attention aunt Maria. It’s just that by the time I started my lessons with grandmother the Capizeo family was fast becoming a mythical legend.” Angelic blushed. “I just put the stories of their supposedly deadliness down to just that; stories. Nothing more than that.”

“Those were not tall-tales Angelic. They were truths that barely concealed the truth of the Hemlock Roses.” Angelic wasn’t the only one listening hard to what Maria was saying. This was all new information to the two men. “We of the Lithium Flower have always been more numerous but the Hemlock Roses have always been the deadlier. There are secrets of assassination that only Samantha knows. Secrets that she will only pass on to her daughters and sister wife. We, the DeMarco’s, may have perfected the Way of the Dancing Blade, but the Capizeo’s hold the secret to a far deadly martial art. One that has only been taught to three DeMarco’s in all of our history.”

“Are you one of those holders Maria?” Hunter asked her in a voice barely above a whisper. The idea of there being a martial art deadlier than the Way of the Dancing Blade was not one he or Bobby wanted to confront. They had already seen Evolution performed by Lyssa, the Demon Wraiths, Tiffany, Shawna and Krystel. For there to be another such deadly art form was almost terrifying for the two men.

“I am not, Hunter. The third DeMarco to know that secret is Annette. After I am finished with Kasey and Kristine’s training Samantha shall begin to teach them the ‘Sonno della bella morte’ and all the secrets that go with that deadly art from. When we are gone your daughters will hold the secrets of two families of assassins.” Maria answered honestly. Knowing full well the impact of what her words would be on the three gathered adults.

Bobby decided to get back to the original topic. “Right. Now, you said that some Iscariot Priest revoked Joseph Capizeo’s request for sanctuary. What happened after that? Where did he go?”

“Young Joseph pleaded with the Monsignor of the Church to stay. Only to have the Iscariot asshole overrule him. The man told Joseph that if he wanted the protection of the Holy Cee that he would have to prove himself. That the Iscariot Division had no need for the half-trained whelp of a Capizeo whore. His exact words after that, are unknown to me, but he basically ordered Joseph to kill or destroy the Great Lakes Organization to prove his worth. That only then would the Church offer him sanctuary, but only as a member of the Iscariot Division. You know what happened to the Organization. Before Joseph turned himself into the Marshals, however, he went back to the St. Jadwiga of Poland Catholic Church. There he slipped back in during the middle of the night. He found the Judas Priest and slit the man’s throat in his sleep.” Maria looked over at the very stunned Angelic. “Yes, child. Joseph Capizeo killed a member of the cloth in their sleep. I also know that he has never felt one ounce of guilt over killing that man. That was only the last person he killed during that time. No one really knows how many bodies he left in his wake to fulfill that awful order by that arrogant Priest. None, but Samantha Justice.”

“Damn. I always knew that Samantha had her demons. I have even read the case file that the Marshals have on her during that time. None of what you just told us in that file, Maria.” Bobby was looking down at his hands. “To think, all of that bloodshed could have been avoided.”

“Now, I understand why Samantha hates the Iscariots so much. Care to tell us why you and Annette have a problem with them now, Maria?” Hunter asked.

“The Iscariot Division used Joseph Capizeo to clean up their mess. They then turned their backs on him. They treated a member of my family as nothing more than an expendable tool. You do not double cross my family like that and live.” Maria answered Hunter quickly.

“Aunt Maria why did they order the deaths of the Capizeo’s? I mean the Church is supposed to hold itself above that type of corruption.” Angelic asked in more confusion than she wanted to show.

“Marko Capizeo was the accountant for the Great Lakes Organization Angelic. The Iscariot Division was using the Organization to funnel money into the LOG party accounts. What all Marko knew exactly is still a mystery. All I do know, is that it got him, and his family targeted by the Iscariots.” Maria sighed heavily. “Even after we took them down nobody knows why they had to die.”

“Why’s that Maria? We had all the evidence. There should have been something in those files to tell you why.” Bobby pointed out. “Hell, I know that you’ve gone over those files back home a hundred times.”

“Because the evidence that she needs isn’t in those files Bobby.” Sam’s voice had the adults turning to face the two women as they returned to the campsite. There was a crooked smile on Sam’s face. One that the Black Badge Deputies knew meant trouble for someone. “There is only one person who knows where that evidence is right now. And they’ll never talk.”

“Where did you hide it Samantha?” Maria asked her lightly. “Where are your father’s books? You no longer have to hold the secret.”

“Wrong mama. Those books keep me safe and the Iscariot Division at bay. Safe being relative of course. I made sure that only one other person knows where those books are. If anything should happen to me. Let’s just say that the world will know all about the Iscariot Division and how they have tried to control every election since Kennedy. I doubt that the Holy Roman Catholic Church wants to face a bunch of pissed off American rednecks with shotguns and hunting rifles.” Samantha snarked.

“Don’t you think that those books can help us now?” Maria asked her. Samantha was forced to think about what her adopted mother was asking her. “They could very well give us the edge we need.”

“Sorry, mom, but those books stay where they are. This way they’re more of a danger to the Iscariot pigs.” Sam stood fast on her position of that long-buried evidence. “Besides it won’t do any good to go digging up the past. Nothing there but old slights and hurt feelings. You taught us to never let emotions get in the way of a contract.” Maria knew not to push the matter with Samantha. Just as did the rest of the team.

“There’ll be time enough later for dealing with the good brothers and sisters of the Iscariot Division.” Samantha snarled.

Angelic didn’t need a boulder dropped on her head to get the hint. The subject was closed for now.

“Annette, what were the results of the tests?” Maria asked.

“All three came back positive.” Annette answered as she walked around the table to her seat. Reaching inside her bag she pulled out the last bagel. Then in a whiny voice. “Now can I please get back to eating my breakfast?”

That brought a chuckled to everyone there, but the two teens who were still lost to the outside world. The adults sat there eating donuts and drinking their morning coffee as the girls danced their way through the world of cyberspace. They had long ago breached the heart of the Iscariot Division’s mainframe server farm. They were hunting specific information on a particular member of that organization. Nothing was going to stand in their way.

T.O.C. Ram’s Rock Island

Krystel’s attention was drawn to her workstation by the sound of a klaxon sounding. Anna gave her a strange look and the Cyber-warfare Operator just chuckled. “That’s just my warning to let me know that is Gemini accessing ONYSSIUS. Let’s see what the girls are up too now.”

Setting down at her station Krystel opened her monitoring link for the ALOC. What she saw worried her.

“Anna do you know why Kristine would be operating on her own, or why she would be trying to hack RUBUS in Rome?” Krystel asked intently.

“I can only give you answer for half that question. Madam has most likely sent Kasey after a few home pregnancy tests for Miss Annette. As for why Kristine is hacking RUBUS. It has to be something concerning the Iscariots.” Anna almost growled the last half of her answer.

“I think I better give her a hand.” Krystel quickly logged-in and began to give Kristine the help.

Lyssa and Kimberly though were giving Anna strange and questioning looks. Here was a source of information for potential mission problems they needed to access.

“Anna can you tell us exactly what is pissing in Maria’s Cheerios? What is her beef with the Iscariot Division? She has been on edge ever since the good sister showed up the other day. It can't be the fact that they’re a bunch of completely self-serving, self-righteous, sanctimonious assholes. Everybody knows and expects it.” Lyssa questioned the older women.

The urge to chuckle at Lyssa's blunt and correct assessment was hard to resist.

Instead, a sigh that escaped Anna was long and heavy. “This is not my story to tell Prima Lyssa. What I can tell you is that the DeMarco’s have a long, sordid, and vile history with the Iscariot Priests. As for the Capizeo family that is a subject that is best left to the past.”

“Why is that exactly? What could be so terrible that it is best left in the past? Talk to me here Anna. I need to know if there is a potential for mission problems. Namely with Samantha.” Lyssa stated then reminded. “Problems I may have to deal with.”

Anna remembered the conversation Maria had with her. Lyssa was not to deploy. For reasons only Maria could be told, Lyssa could only deploy if an operation was completely failing without chance of recovery and all personnel had to be recalled. Not even the Major knew the specific reasons, only that the order came down from too high to go around or ignore.

“It goes back to when Samantha was still Joseph Capizeo and the men that murdered his family in their own home.” Anna turned and looked up at the main screen. It was if the old woman was wishing for her friend to interrupt them with a team update just then. “And the unholy vengeance that child brought down on all those she held responsible for their deaths. Including the Iscariot Division Priest that set her on that path of bloody revenge.”

Lyssa finally asked the one question that had been off the table from the day that Samantha Justice first set foot on Ram’s Rock Island. “Anna just how many people did Stephany Capizeo put in the ground before she finally walked through the doors of the Federal Building?”

The three operators were in no way prepared for the old woman’s answer. “Nobody truly knows the number of people that died at Stephany Capizeo’s hand by the time she walked in off the streets to the Federal Building. What I do know is that several Made-men, countless street thugs and one Priest of the Iscariot Division were all dead either by bullet, blade or barehand. The days following the deaths of Stephany Capizeo’s family are still called the ‘Reckoning’ amongst the Mafia families of Ohio.”

“Sweet mother of God.” Kimberly whispered. “I’ve heard you say on more than one occasion that Samantha was the deadliest of the Deputies, Miss Anna. What I want to know is just how truly deadly is Samantha?”

“There are two families within the Moonless Wraith Guild. While the DeMarco family have always been the more numerous it was always the Capizeo family that were the most feared. For as deadly as Madam Maria is, there are secrets of assassination known only to Stephany Capizeo. The greatest of those secrets is ‘Sonno della bella morte’. This one secret has never been taught to those outside of the Capizeo Family and is known only to the Hemlock Rose.” Anna explained for the operations chief. “Maria and I both hoped and feared that those secrets were lost to time when Mary Capizeo was murdered.”

“Okay; this isn’t a place we were supposed to be, but we’re here now and have to go with it. Anna, there questions that I would like for you to answer. First; why are you now calling Samantha the Hemlock Rose? Next; how did anyone ever get the drop on Mary and Marko Capizeo if they were both so deadly? Finally, why did you ‘hope and fear’ that the secrets of the Capizeo family were lost to time?” Lyssa asked the older woman intently.

Anna took note of Lyssa’s tone and wording. Lyssa wasn’t asking for herself. She was asking those questions, in that manner, for the others and if she would have to report. For some reason Anna felt that Lyssa actually knew more than she let on and did not like revealing what she did know.

“Firstly, Prima Lyssa, Samantha Justice has by all rights always been the Hemlock Rose. She has carried her mother’s blade for the last three years as is her right. Samantha just hasn’t stepped forward into her role as the Hemlock Rose until recently. The answer to how those men got the ‘drop’ on Samantha’s parents unfortunately is simple. They used her sisters as shields as they killed her parents one at a time. After that they put a bullet into the heads of her sisters. Just because they feared the vendetta of those two teenage girls were, they allowed to live.” As Anna told of the gathered operators of that dark and deadly time, she could tell that they were hanging on her every word. This was all new information for the OICA.

“If they could have found Joseph, they would have killed him instead of it being the other way around. As for why we had hoped for the Capizeo family secrets being lost to time. Let’s just say that there are ways of killing that should never see the light of day. As for why we feared the thought of losing them it would mean that the Capizeo family and the last Hemlock Rose was no longer among us.” Anna explanation made the two operators rethink the traditions of the two families of assassins.

“Anna, what can you tell me about this ‘Sleep of the beautiful death’? Expand on that please. I'm fairly certain we will see this material again.” Lyssa continued.

“One must first master the Way of the Dancing Blade before even attempting the Sleep of the Beautiful Death. The last known true Mistress of the art was Mary Elisabeth Capizeo, Samantha’s mother. Until recently both Maria and I believed that Mary had been unable to pass on her knowledge to Samantha.” Anna answered honestly. “The Sleep of the Beautiful Death is an unarmed or armed form of martial art known only to the Capizeo family.”

“What makes it so deadly?” Kimberly asked bluntly.

“It can kill with a single strike and leaves behind no mark. It is said that a Mistress or Master can walk past their target in the morning delivering the killing strike and the target never know it. They can go all day never knowing that they are about to die. Not until the target lies down to sleep that night do, they actually die.” Anna got a faraway look in her eye. “I remember the day that Mary Capizeo killed that Stasi pig, Rudolf Hess just outside of the Boar's Head guesthouse in Würzburg Germany. She bumped into the man on the sidewalk. She apologized profusely to the pig then just went about her shopping. The next morning the maid found the man dead in a locked and secure room on the fifth floor of the guesthouse.”

“Holy shit! What did the man die of?” Kimberly asked trying to figure out how a person could take all day to die and not know it. Nothing was adding up. Surely a person could tell that something was wrong and seek medical attention.

“No one knows. All the coroner’s report said was undetermined natural causes. I doubt that anyone could tell you except, maybe for one person, Samantha.” Anna’s honest answer gave Kimberly the shivers, while Lyssa remained silent.

“Anna, I have been under the impression that Samantha wasn’t trained the same way as her sisters. Why would she now know the secrets of this martial art?” Lyssa asked.

“A trunk she brought with her from her home in Ohio held more than just family mementos. She also carried with her in that trunk all of her mother’s journals and the Capizeo family chronicles. Those chronicles hold the secrets concerning the Sleep of the Beautiful Death and several other secrets of assassination known only to the Capizeo family.” Anna turned and gave Lyssa steady glare. “Secrets that are known only to the true Hemlock Rose.”

“Then why did you refer to Maria as the Hemlock Rose in Italy?” Lyssa asked. “If Samantha is supposed to be this Hemlock Rose.”

“As the Head of the Moonless Wraith Guild, Madam Maria was only holding the title until Samantha stepped forward to claim her family’s rightful title, Prima Lyssa. You have to understand that Samantha has spent the last two years working towards one goal. The final mastery of those secrets hidden within the Capizeo Family chronicles.” Anna could tell that the next question was going to be one that she really didn’t want to answer.

Lyssa asked directly. “Anna, do you or Maria know precisely where this Sleep of the Beautiful Death originated?”

Anna sighed as she just knew that Lyssa would ask.

“You are familiar with similar techniques, as I had guessed. All I know is that it was first noted in the Capizeo family in fourteen-fifty-seven. Where it came from; only they know. Its origin has never been revealed to any outsiders. That includes the DeMarco family.” Anna was saved from having to explain further by Krystel interrupting them.

“Miss Anna, what can you tell us about the Art Recovery Division of the Iscariot Division? Are they like the Art Recovery Division for the Gendarmerie Corps and most of Interpol?” Krystel asked the old woman.

“Only if you consider bears and tigers the same. The Gendarmerie Corps do all in their power to work within the law and the light of day. Those thugs of the Iscariots don’t care how they complete their assignment or how many body-bags they fill to achieve success.” Anna snarled.

“What about the Order of Saint Nicolas, Sister Magdalena’s old order? How are they different?” Kimberly asked Anna with more than a little confusion.

“The Order of Saint Nicolas is not part of the Iscariot Division. To be truthful I was more than a little surprised at seeing Angelic wearing that particular habit. The Iscariots rarely if ever let another order within their ranks.” Anna’s honest and blunt answer caught the three operators by surprise. “Of all the branches of the Church that one Division is the most secretive. Why do you ask?”

“Gemini is digging through the life and times for the head of that section for the Iscariots. One Monsignor Johnathan Delacorte. Any idea why?” Krystel asked as she put the file on the main screen.

Anna took one look at the picture for the Monsignor and wanted to start swearing. If she had been alone, she would have cursed up a blue streak. She may still do so when she is alone at home. “If that is who they are investigating then, Maria and her team might have a real problem on their hands. I don’t know how that man ever joined the Iscariot Division let alone the Church, but he is not who he says he is!”

“Tell us Anna, just who is that man? Is he a threat to the Black Badge operations, and if so, how?” Lyssa asked bluntly.

“His real name is Alfonzo Delicato. Former Under-boss and missing Consigliere for the Calabrese family out of Detroit Michigan. The man is on the FBI’s Most wanted list. I think it is somewhere around number twenty. Maybe a little higher? What I do know is this. With that man as Angelic’s immediate superior, I now know why this whole operation is being done under the cloak of darkness and in the shadows of night.” Anna took a deep breath and sighed as she pointed up at the main screen. “The Major may not know who is behind this whole mess within the Vatican and those missing Novices, but I do. There is the connection that we have been looking for between Abrams and his little mail-order bride scam. He has the connections to ensure that those girls go from their convents straight onto Abrams’ ships.”

“When you say connections Anna, just what are we talking about here?” Kimberly asked her with more than a little concern.

“Before Alfonzo dropped off the face of the earth, he was the Calabrese family’s main contact with a known arms dealer by the name of Charles Andrews. I would give you even odds that the initials CIA in those ledgers stands for Charles Ira Andrews, instead of the Central Intelligence Agency. I won’t even bother with trying to calculate the odds that Andrews is the one that handles all of the White Slavery for Abrams.” Anna was once again interrupted but this time by a signal from the screen.

“That’s the Marshal.” Lyssa turned to Krystle. “Bring them up Krystel.”

Krystel nodded. “Aye Sergeant-Major.”

“Morning Stronghold.” Maria greeted them from the main screen. “We have a minor personnel problem. I need to send the Black Swan home.”

“I need a reason for the extraction Marshal. Is it medical or clerical in nature?” Lyssa could tell by Maria’s smile that something good was in the pipeline. She also knew that Maria needed to know what Anna had informed the command team of concerning Angelic’s Monsignor.

“Medical, Ops. It seems that the Black Swan is in the family way. She is no longer operational until further notice. Is Ramrod or Lonestar available for pick up in Freeport?” Maria asked.

“Transport will be arranged Marshal. Congratulations by the way on that good news. I am correct, that this is good news?” Lyssa smirked.

“It is good news, very good news. Now, I know that you have been monitoring Gemini’s dive. Has she been able to discern anything that they may have missed? I could use some good news on that front.” Maria sighed.

“I don’t know about good news, but we do have news. We’ve found Abrams’ connection between the convents and Abrams. Charles Ira Andrews and Monsignor Johnathan Delacorte of the Iscariots.” Krystel informed her. “Which brings us all to a serious problem. Delacorte is an alias. No surprise at that. His real name is Alfonzo Delicato, which is a surprise.”

“Wait! Did you just say that slug Delacorte is really Alfonzo Delicato?” Angelic practically screamed. “I will handle that 'man' when I return to Rome my Donna. This I swear to you here and now. He will answer for his crimes against the Church, the DeMarco’s and Holy God. Most importantly though the crimes he has committed against the Wraiths of the Moonless Night Guild.”

All four of the women in the TOC could hear the change in the young nun’s voice. Gone was the idealistic novice who had sworn that she would never take a human life. Here before them now was a young woman pushed to her limits. A young woman that had been trained in the traditions of her family. Monsignor Johnathan Delacorte’s days were now numbered by the span of Angelic DeMarco’s fingers. Only Anna knew that she would never get passed the third finger of the first hand upon her return to Rome. First though they needed to deal with the new mark that had been added to their target list.

“This just keeps getting better. Somebody stand her down.” Lyssa muttered, more to herself than anyone, but all heard her. “Continue update.”

“We will deal with that man when the time comes, child. For now, we must handle our current problems. The first of which is the location of Sylvia Price. Stronghold any update on that front?” Maria asked quickly.

“Affirmative. You have a two-day window before Price will be at her home in Cutchogue Station. Plenty of time to make the drive. If you want, we can arrange for pickup of the whole team and fly you up.” Kimberly told Maria honestly.

“Marshal, I suggest we take the offer of a ride. That way we can take the time and do a full recon of Price’s home and the surrounding area.” Hunter spoke up from where he was sitting. “ALSO; Annette can fly back home on the C-17 and not draw attention by nosey civilian authorities.”

Maria thought about what Hunter suggested. “What are you boys thinking? What have we missed? You’re normally not this concerned about a recon for a target like Price. And don’t give some bs reason.”

“Price will most likely have a few BCD or HD monkey-nuts working for her as security. She’ll at least have four of the ass wipes that she bailed out of trouble from her time as a JAG Officer. Then you add in her dead husband’s connections we got a whole slew of other factors to look at. James Price was heavily hooked up with the labor and dock unions in New York.” Hunter explained for everyone. “I’ve kind of been following that bitch’s life ever since she got my Platoon Sergeant burned out at Fort Bliss.”

“What else can you tell us about the woman Hunter?” Anna asked quickly.

Hunter looked puzzled. “I’m not sure what you mean Miss Anna.”

“What are her likes, dislikes, loves, hobbies, everything you can remember about her. Was she prone to use a certain type of shampoo? Did she only eat at set times of the day? Did she only deal with certain types of clients? Was she a risk taker or played things safe? Those types of things, my dear boy. Those little details will be what can save your team a great deal of heartburn. If not the whole operation.” Anna explained.

“I don’t know about what type of shampoo the woman used, but I do know that she loved her fine arts. By that I mean she would spend half of her paycheck on tickets for opera, ballet, theater and going to art galleries. She fancied herself a real connoisseur of the arts. She tried to hold herself above the average soldier or officer. The truth was, she went to those places cruising for a husband. A rich husband. She found him just before she ETSed.” Hunter got a funny look on his face. He looked over at Bobby. “Now that I think about it. Her husband died less than two years after they were married. You don’t think she pulled a ‘black widow’ on the guy? I mean not even she would be that crazy.”

“Hunter, buddy, I wouldn’t put it past that bitch to have done just that. You know how power mad and money hungry she was. Hell, from what I heard, she went out of her way to make herself look available to the higher-ups on more than one occasion. Then there was her nonstop attendance of all those ‘charity events’ for the rich and assholes. What I want to know is how she was able to escape a full command inquiry before she ETSed. I know for a fact that she had pulled some truly slimy shit during her time with JAG.” Bobby answered his long friend and fellow husband.

“Hunter, you said something about Price burning your old Platoon Sergeant. Exactly what happened.” Kimberly asked the very angry man and waved to Krystel. Krystel pulled up the file and began scanning through it.

Taking a deep breath Hunter thought back to the CID investigation that destroyed one man’s good name and forced Hunter’s decision on ETSing. “It all started out as a straight-forward Domestic Disturbance run to On-Base Housing. Sergeant First Class Cain, and Staff Sergeant Hunley were the first to arrive. Before back-up could arrive, things went sideways. The husband was the dependent and an El Paso firefighter, while the wife was a Spec 4. When SFC Cain and SSG Hunley made themselves known, the husband opened fire on the both of them with a Tec-9; full auto. Hunley took two to the chest, one to throat and one to the head. He died on-site. Cain returned fire hitting the husband once in the shoulder and once in the head. It was clean shoot. The problem was First Lieutenant Sylvia Cutter.”

“She had a personal connection?” Lyssa asked.

Hunter picked up where he left off. “Negative. Cutter was looking at promotion. She needed a major case to show the higher-ups that she worthy of her railroad tracks. She had already been passed over once before. The bitch sent CID and MPI after SFC Cain. She went out of her way to destroy the man. MPI and CID cleared Cain of any wrongdoing on his part, but the Board of Inquiry felt that Cain and Hunley should have waited until they had proper backup before approaching the house. They also found that Cain used excessive force. Basically, the Board went along with Cutter’s honked up list of bullshit charges. SFC Cain was given the choice of a General Discharge or forced retirement. He took forced retirement, half pension.”

Lyssa could tell there was more to that story than that. Hunter confirmed this as he finished putting the rest of the details. “What's more, for the next eight months, every MP had an MPI or CID monkey-fuck stuck to our asses. As for Cain, he ended up eating the end of his gun two months after his retirement. Thanks to the little notation that Cutter got slapped onto his DD-214. The man had twenty-five years as an active Law Enforcement Officer. He was looking forward to joining a civilian PD, but that little notation ended any chance he had at fulfilling that dream. He couldn't get bonded.”

It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what Hunter left unsaid. Only the civilian side of the OICA didn’t understand what could and couldn’t be put on a DD-214. Nor the ramifications of what certain notations could have on a person’s life after the military. Kimberly cleared her throat and brought everyone back on topic.

“Okay, so the team needs pickup. Lonestar and Rodrick can handle the pickup at Eglin Air Force Base. You should be able to get there in about eleven hours. That should easily give you enough time to reach the Eglin Air Force base. Go ahead and shutdown for now. Miss Anna will be in place for when Abrams steps out for his dirt nap and the sharks start to feed on the GWT corpse.” Anna giggled in the background at Kimberly’s description of what would happen on Wall Street. “If all goes to plan, by this time four days from now, GWT will be well under our control.”

“I have no doubt about that, my dear Kimberly. Give my love to Mindy.” With that Maria cut the connection.

Lyssa turned to Kimberly, Krystel and Anna. “Well, ladies. It looks like the island population is about to grow just a little more. Come on we need to inform the Major of this development before he finds out on his own. Kimberly go ahead and call up top to let the guys know they got a pickup. That and they’re to stop on their way back to pick up enough bagels, cream-cheese and lox to last Annette for the next few months.”

“At least we don’t have to worry about getting her the oysters, clams and hot sauce. The problem is going to come when she starts craving those ungodly creations from White Castle and Cincinnati style chili.” Anna said as she shivered at the memory of Maria eating those items.

Lyssa was looking at the main monitor. “That won’t be a problem. We acquired the recipes for both, this morning.”

“How?” Anna asked. “Maria couldn’t get the chili recipe?”

Kimberly replied. “There wasn’t a Bruce back then.”

Now Anna was confused. “Who is Bruce?”

“Bruce works for White Castle. In the Test Kitchen. He has access to all recipes.” Lyssa explained.

Krystel giggled. “Lyssa made a call.”

“Bruce has a very PARTICULAR interest. Miranda Kerr. Miss Kerr owed Lyssa a favor. Bruce gets a present from Miss Kerr. Miss Kerr gets her marker back. We get recipes for our personal use.” Kimberly said with a smirk.

Lyssa sighed. “And I have to walk Yves St. Laurent for the spring collection.”

“I see. That works apparently.” Anna said then stopped. “If Miss Kerr owed you, why do you HAVE to walk the show?”

Lyssa replied. “She didn't owe that much of a favor.”

Now Anna was confused. “What did she give as a present?”

“A pair of her Victoria's Secret panties!” Krystel giggled.

Anna held her hand up. “NO MORE! I believe I understand now. Good day ladies.”

Kimberly and Krystel were laughing as Anna walked out, shaking her head.

“Don’t worry Anna, we’ll make sure Maria and Annette know what it took to get her treats.” Lyssa called back. Her tone of amusement didn’t go missed.

-----tbc-----

Sorry for the delay on this story and Racing Angles. RA will be back to the normal posting schedule next week.

up
406 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

interesting chapter

lots of info here

DogSig.png

What A Family History Lesson- and a theory

Wow, the backstory of Samantha as well as the DeMarco family keeps getting filled with more detail. I absolutely love the intrigue and multiple layers of complexity. How Maria, Sam and Angelic bring Msgr. Delacorte to his just reward will be an event in itself and may be the appropriate time for the reintroduction of The Sleep Of The Beautiful Death to the world.

As to my theory; it has to do with the timing of Wolfjess' posts. We are often told plausible reasons for the delays, but I suspect it is more than that. Here are the facts:

1). Woljess stated that she lives in Garrett County, Maryland.

2)Friendsville, Garrett County, Maryland is the home of the Garrett School For Exceptional Girls, where rescued human trafficking victims are sent for recovery and education.

3) The Elise law enforcement and judicial family is well aware that the girls are under Federal protection and the other residents of the county seem to be genuinely welcoming and accepting of these special needs girls and want to be supportive of them.

4) Marty Haskell, desk clerk at the Wisp Mountain and Ski Resort in McHenry, Garrett County, Maryland is also the local bookmaker who operates with the tacit approval of Sheriff Elise.

My theory is that Marty Haskell is running an ongoing betting operation for people to try and guess the date that Wolfjess' next chapter or new story will appear; it isn't a pool, he gives odds on the bettor's prediction depending upon how close to the predicted date the bet is placed and how long it has been since there was a posting by Wolfjess and the net profits from the enterprise pays for or at least contributes to the cost of community events for the girls at the school and that Wolfjess makes the whole venture possible by not consistently posting on the same day of the week or even weekly.

Nice theory (giggle fest)

wolfjess7's picture

You present a nice theory GR. You even go so far as to point out some overlooked facts. But i can neither confirm or deny any of the facts of your theory that you have presented. In other words. Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

(looks over at Marty Haskell holding out hand) Pay up you cheap bastard or I'll turn Samantha, and the rest lose on your ass.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Nice theory

wolfjess7's picture

sorry dreaded double posting

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Cutchogue?

As in the east end of Long Island?

Blown cover

Jamie Lee's picture

If Maria still wants to get her family out of the "business" then hopefully Annette's child will be allowed to follow a path which is totally different. On the other hand, her child could be seen as a way to get back at Maria so that child may need Maria's, Sam's, and Annette's skills just to live a "normal" life.

Unless Delacorte is a mystic, he doesn't know his cover is blown, or that he is on death row. It will most likely come as a shock when Angelic sticks a knife into him.

Others have feelings too.

Delacorte Is An Egotistical Asshat

Alfonzo Delicato, former underboss and Consigliere of the Detroit Calabrese family becomes Msgr. Jonathan Delacorte.

Even if there are no formal ties to the Great Lakes crime family led by Jocko Calabrese, there is no doubt a blood relationship between the Detroit and Toledo families.

Even if Delicato to Delacorte is a common way to anglicize the surname, it is an awfully strange coincidence that it is also the name of Annette's former contract handler, Nathaniel Delacorte of Delacorte, Delacorte and Hoffman Legal Services.

From reading the Embracing Justice canon, the hatred of child abuse and exploitation by Maria DeMarcoas well as the entirety of the Great lakes crime families is well known in organized crime circles.

That Alfonzo Delicato deliberately chose to re-name himself Jonathan Delacorte reeks of arrogance and ego because, given his former status in the Detroit Calabreze family, he would know who handled DeMarco contracts and how sexual abuse and child exploitation is viewed among the families and by Maria. It appears that he is giving a big f@&k you to them and believing himself so far above the reach of justice of any sort because his cover is impeccable. When he becomes aware of Donald Abrams death, he won't suspect that he is in trouble and it will be business as usual for him.

Two remaining questions come to mind: 1) Does Bishop Karl Ferdinand know or suspect that there is involvement of the Iscariot Division in the child exploitation and is he hoping that the Black Badge deputies will clean it up for him, 2) Is Msgr. Delacorte acting alone or in concert with others within the Iscariot Division and 3) Are any members of the Detroit Calabresi family working with Anthony/ Jonathan.

I suspect that before this contract is fulfilled we will go from a the proverbial can of worms to a barrel full of worms because of the number of high status/ politically connected people involved. While I have supreme confidence in the Marshall's team, it's a good thing that Reno Protocols were invoked.