Marti and the Doppelganger – A Follow Up, or What Happened to Those Raccoons, Anyway - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Marti and the Doppelganger – A Follow Up,

or What Happened to Those Raccoons, Anyway

By Portia Bennett

 
Introduction: This story is a third, the penultimate, in a series within a series. The overall series is the “Cynthia Chronicles”. This story is directly connected to “Simoné and the Second Time Around” and “Marti and the Doppelganger”. The latter left many unanswered questions. Some of those will be answered, some probably not. There are many references to previous stories in the series. If you are confused by some of them, just put it off to my senility. The Cynthia Chronicles takes place in a universe very similar to ours. Unfortunately, it might be too similar.

For any who read “Myrna and the Genetic Disaster”, this is the same story, only with the political rantings and scientific explanations removed. There may also have been a few edits and additions.

This is the second part of ten.

As we know, the Raccoons and The Wizard have shown up in Chico, California. As to why they are there, we may never know. But then again ….

 


This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

CHAPTER 2. What are these Raccoons Doing Here?

Sara greeted The Wizard as Rhonda greeted her friends from Southern California.

“What are you doing here?” she exclaimed as she hugged them to her. There was no resistance on their part.

“His Wisdom suggested we might like a change of scenery. He thought we should take a trip, and here we are, wherever that is. Those mountains don’t seem to be very big,” Arnold ‘said’ as he looked off to the east.

“You can understand me and I can understand you? What happened?”

“It was some time after you left last year. We were checking out a cabin, looking for food. The owner had left the door unlocked. We thought they were gone for the year. Junior stands on my back so he can turn the knob. If the door is locked, we look elsewhere. We don’t break in like we used to eight or nine years ago. There’s just no need. Anyway, the owner came home and surprised us eating the dog biscuits. He started shouting at us, calling us all sorts of things that weren’t very nice. Hey, we wouldn’t have gone in if he’d locked the door.

“He started to say something about getting his gun, and we decided we’d best get out of there. That’s when we realized we could understand humans. Well, we could understand Lanu and Marti just fine, but that was different.

“You know how we fatten up for winter. That helps us through the tough times. We spent most of the winter around that church camp on the other side of the river. We found a nice place under one of the cabins, and they fed us more than we needed. They were real nice, and they loved to play with the children. There was a different group there every week, but we wanted to get back to Camp Bear Paw to see you when summer started. Then we found out you weren’t there. Not only that, a strange group of raccoons had moved in. They made it very clear they didn’t want us around. We didn’t know any of them.”

“Well, you don’t have worry about a thing, if you want to stay here for a while,” Sara said. She’d obviously been listening in on the conversation.

Rhonda was tearing a bit. She’d thought she’d never see her friends from the south again. How much she’d missed them, she was just beginning to realize.

“Your Wisdom, I know you brought them here. I really did miss them. Why did you do it?"

“Well, they just needed to be where they might be protected a bit more than they were at their previous location. There was nothing there for them anymore.”

“I’m not sure I understand.”

Miranda, a very pretty Maine Coon Cat and Sara’s familiar, spoke up. She’d been checking the raccoon family out, and had been having some private time with Misty. They’d seemed to connect immediately. “Rhonda, how long do raccoons live in the wilds?”

“I don’t know; maybe 10 years or more.” Rhonda was a bit puzzled by the question.

“Arnold, how old are you?” Miranda asked.

“Let’s see, I’ve known Rhonda for seven years. Harriet and I have been together for nine years. I think we met when I was three. I guess that means I’m 12 and Harriet’s 11. Why?”

“Before you came here, how many raccoons were there left from your childhood?”

“Well, there was David, but he died right after Arnold, Jr. was born. Then there was Lois. No….”

“Harriet, when did Lois pass away?”

“That hussy, she couldn’t wait to get her claws into you. She passed away just before David. She was older than you anyway. I never did see what you saw in her.”

“Look, I never did like her. I only had eyes for you.”

“Okay, you two,” Sara interjected, “I think Miranda’s just trying to make a point.”

“Your Wisdom,” Sara said turning to The Wizard, “what’s the average life span of raccoons in the wild?”

“I just consulted Wikipedia. It’s 1.8 to 3.1 years. We have a bit of an enigma, don’t we? I’m sure all of you can work it out eventually.

“Arnold, do you think you and your family would be happy around here?”

“I guess so. What do you think Harriet?”

“It does seem nice with that river down there, but there are so many people.”

“Mom, what if we put a door in the shed for them. There’s plenty of room there, and they could use Miranda’s door to come in the house.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem at all. We have a spare pet door, and your father can install it,” Sara said.

“Would you mind?” The Wizard asked. He waved his hand, and a very nice pet door appeared in the side of the shed. “How’s that?”

“Is that acceptable?” Rhonda asked.

“If that will keep out of the rain and snow, it would be very nice,” Harriet said. “Besides, I do need a shelter for the little one.”

“What?” Arnold figuratively shouted.

“I’ve been meaning to tell you, but with all that’s been going on ….”

Finally getting his wits together, Arnold asked, “When is this going to happen?”

“I don’t know. Things don’t seem to be working like they used to. Something tells me I’m supposed to have babies in the spring. I think this is autumn. I don’t really understand.”

“Don’t worry about it,” The Wizard said. “You can have babies when you want them. I know you wanted another baby, and I have it on good authority that you’re going to have a little girl right around Halloween. That should give you enough time to get settled in.”

“Well, hello everyone. Your Wisdom, it’s so nice to see you. Are you looking forward to the convention? Naomi and Sara have been pretty busy.” The voice was coming from Rhonda’s father, who along with Mike Payne, had just come out of the family room onto the patio. They’d been playing golf at the country club that was located just a couple of miles up the river. He and Mike shook The Wizard’s hand. They had been acquainted for quite a while.

“What do we have here?” Steve McKenzie said pointing to the raccoon family.

“Daddy, this is Arnold, his wife Harriet, and top to bottom are Arnold, Jr. Danny, and Misty. Arnold was my friend at summer camp. I know I told you about him.”

“Hello there, and welcome to Chico.”

“Thank you Mr. McKenzie. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Well, that was a bit unexpected. I probably don’t need to ask what’s going on.”

Rhonda and Mike were sharing a fairly chaste kiss.

“Ew, you’re all sweaty and smelly.”

“What do you expect, Ronnie? Your father and I walked 18 holes.”

“He didn’t beat you too badly, did he, dad?”

“No more than usual. He gave me five strokes a side, and beat me by only three strokes. I had a pretty good round; shot an 81 with nothing worse than a bogey. If I could only chip.

“Do you think Bobbie could give me a couple pointers? I need to get some money back.”

“Mike, you’re not taking Daddy’s money, are you?”

“Let’s see, he lost thirty cents today at ten cents a hole; however, he bought a coke for me. So I guess we’re even.”

By this time, Mike was carrying Arnold, Jr. and somehow Misty had ended up in Rhonda’s arms.

Arnold and Harriet were checking out the shed along with Danny. It didn’t take long for them to return and give their approval. Sara promised to supply some bedding. An old doghouse inside the shed would give Arnold and Harriet some private space.

Sara, by this time had brought out a pitcher of iced tea and a basket of snacks. The Wizard had long since disposed of his cup of coffee, and was partaking of the iced tea along with everyone else.

“You know,” Rhonda said with a bit of a puzzled voice, “I wish I knew what was going on. I mean I am so glad that Arnold and his family are safe and I don’t have to worry about them. It’s just that it’s a bit unexpected.”

“I wouldn’t worry too much about it,” The Wizard said. “We have a big meeting coming up. Maybe we will have some answers by then.”

“Your Wisdom, I learned long ago not to question what you are doing. What you, Lanu and Marti did for Penny, Wanda, Lily, and Tamesha was wonderful. Penny and Wanda are so happy living with the Chronisters. I talk with them almost weekly. They’re not that far away, and I’ve been down to see them twice. They just radiate happiness.

“Wanda and Tamesha are so much in love it almost makes me cry. I think they are going to apply for admission to the University of the Pacific in Stockton. Their grades are outstanding, and Wanda doesn’t have to worry about her parents interfering. Penny is captain of the soccer team, and she has a boyfriend who worships the ground she walks on. I met him. I told her to wait two more years before seducing him. I told her there would be a very nice surprise for both of them if they did. She’s still a bit overwhelmed by what happened.

“Your Wisdom, you know she loves you very much. As far as she’s concerned, you can do no wrong.”

“I wish that were true,” The Wizard said quietly.

“I need to get back to the shop. Randi’s been holding down the fort; however, there are going to be some troublemakers showing up. She’s in charge, though. I just have to be there. I need to feed Wolf and family. They can’t get into the treats because they don’t have opposable thumbs.”

There were some quick hugs before he disappeared.

“Mom, do you have any idea what’s going on?”

“Not a clue.”

***

We will now take a brief break from California to catch up on how things are going with Simoné, Ivana, and Margaret. Margaret has adjusted very easily to the fact she has two daughters whom she had totally forgotten about, and are witches, and are providing her with more grandchildren. Simoné had been pregnant when we last saw her. Now is time for little Raisa to make her appearance.

up
31 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos