Angel of Haven: Part 17

Printer-friendly version

Part Seventeen

"Hints and rumors," said Aaron, with an aggravated sigh. "Freeze Frame hasn't helped much; he can't find the Emergent any more than we can. After several subjective years of effort he left a note on my desk this morning that he was moving on to other pursuits."

"Wait," said Blackpool, alarmed. "He was here?! In the compound?!"

"At my office in Haven, actually," said Aaron, a bit amused at this near panic. "I don't think he knows where the redoubt is. Though he could probably find it given sufficient motivation."

He left Blackpool muttering to himself, rummaging through technical documents, trying to find some inspiration on how to prohibit access to someone moving at more than a hundred times his relative speed.

Aaron didn't mention his undercover assignment for Mannequin. The older empowered man worried that Blackpool's reaction would be adversely influenced by his dislike of the empowered jokester.

* * *

Aaron was getting very, very tired of dealing with conflicts among his own people. Just now, he had been summoned to the computer room by a worried tech. He could hear the argument even before he opened the door to walk in.

"We are following the correct path!" yelled CornFed. "The balanced approach best reflects real-world situations!"

"You're sacrificing precision for accuracy!" screamed Bright. "The vague warnings we get provide no useful information until after the fact!"

"Of course the information is useful! We just don't always understand the messages except on reflection!"

"I have to agree with CornFed on this," said Aaron, in a normal tone. The other two jerked around, until then so occupied with yelling at each other they had missed his approach. "Harriet will learn, with our help, to produce warnings which are more easily understood beforehand."

"I quit!" screamed Bright. He turned and stomped off.

"How many times this month does that make?" said CornFed.

"I have a feeling this time he might mean it," said Aaron, sadly. He gave a great, tired sigh, and turned to CornFed. "I was planning to come down here, anyway, to check on something. What are these notices we're getting about government crackdowns on the empowered?

"Oh! Well, those aren't so much crackdowns on empowered as they are announcements of the institution of general regulations to prevent 'outside interference with our sovereign authority' by repressive governments who don't want any outsiders coming in to help with emergencies. Of course, they're aimed primarily at us."

"Because even admitting there's a problem is perceived as a weakness by those in charge," said Aaron, nodding. "All right. Let's call a conference for tomorrow at 9 AM local, complete with Harriet connection. We'll discuss which nations have emplaced new restrictions that might affect our operations, as well as measures to get around them."

* * *

That afternoon, Aaron briefed Blackpool on both the problems with Harriet and the meeting planned for the next day. He also brought materials to show why Harriet was still not completely ready for the big times.

"Look here," said Aaron, organizing the papers he had put on Blackpool's desk, before pointing to a particular line. "Part of the problem is that Harriet is still learning to communicate. She is effectively writing in her own language. Not too unlike young human children. Fortunately, I'm good at languages."

"Will that thing ever actually speak?" said Blackpool, after reading the confusing almost-haiku.

"It can now. However, if you think the printed communications are difficult to parse..."

"Point taken. Okay, interpret for me, here; what is it that Harriet says about the Emergent?"

"That there are signs they are scouting around Washington, DC. Most likely in preparation for making some sort of public display of power."

"I suppose putting the authorities on notice would simply scare the Emergent away. Or do you think that is part of their plan?"

"No idea. We're guessing what they're doing, they're guessing what we're guessing and planning for that, and so on. I say notify your contacts to be on the alert for possible illegal activity - with potential empowered involvement - in the DC area. I'll tell mine. Between us we might just catch them while they're busy working on their next clever twist."

* * *

Blackpool and Aaron both made certain to brief Melody on this, at her apartment, later that evening. She - personally and through her paper - had resources neither of them did. Mostly connections to individuals and even institutions who were not officially important, but often had significant information. As she had demonstrated before, these could be very useful. As could her insights. Melody did promise to check for unusual activity in DC. However, she also had an immediate suggestion.

"Get in there first and reconnoiter," she said, with a curt, firm nod.

"That... actually makes sense," said Aaron, nodding slowly in reply. "Have empowered with enhanced perceptions look around and get an idea of what is considered the current norm for that city. Especially at the tourist attractions, where the Emergent would likely stage any sort of public display. Then, when or if the Emergent begin their preparations, those should be more obvious to us. Even if the resulting changes would escape the notice of most people."

"I agree," said Blackpool - or John, just now. "Get the lay of the land, then watch for the enemy to intrude. Good strategy."

"There is no way you're leaving me out of this!" said Melody, emphatically. "Also, the sooner you get there, the better. They might actually have already started their preparations."

"It's a purely reconnaissance mission," said Blackpool, shrugging. "Three adults in normal clothing, playing tourist in DC... That's a lot less conspicuous than me going in costume or Aaron having his wings out. It's probably even less conspicuous than one man showing another around."

"Then it's settled! We go this evening!"

"It is?" said Aaron, playfully. He laughed. "Yes. It does make sense, and it also lets me show off a bit by sharing some of my knowledge of the city's history with you."

* * *

The evening sky over the District of Columbia was overcast, with a threat of rain for later but dry for now. The clouds made the approaching dusk darker than it otherwise would have been. None of that dampened Aaron's enthusiasm at being in the capitol. He told those with him of the presidents he had seen inaugurated, starting with Harding. Of new buildings added and old ones removed.

The three of them walked along the Mall, towards the Lincoln Memorial, taking their time and enjoying the sights. The trio was certainly far from alone in this, and far from noticeable to those members of the general public who were present. They stopped a short distance in front of the Memorial, and simply stood for a while, admiring the structure and the statue it contained, before Aaron resumed playing tour guide.

At the top of the steps he was in the middle of pointing out some bit of trivia about the memorial when a large man charged in from the Mall at tremendous speed. He skimmed up the steps and rammed Aaron in the back with a massive shoulder, catching the trio completely by surprise. John reflexively pulled Melody out of the way, and both stared as Aaron went flying into the Memorial. His impact actually cracked the engraved stone in the back wall beyond Lincoln's right hand. As he pushed himself onto all fours, trying to shake off the impact, people were already running, screaming. Which was a good thing. The large man moved with inhuman quickness to the other side of that magnificent sculpture and - with an effort - toppled it chair and all onto Aaron.

He stood there for a moment, smiling at his handiwork, before flashing away. He didn't seem to notice John and Melody.

"He headed southeast, across the tidal basin, towards the Jefferson Memorial!" shouted John, pointing. He held out his hand. "I bet his allies are there! Come on!"

"What about Aaron?" cried Melody.

"I can't move those big stones. He'll either have to get out on his own or wait for another super strong empowered or maybe heavy equipment. Come. On!"

Reluctantly, she took his hand. He guided her into a shadow. They came out in the deep evening shade of the trees beside the Jefferson Memorial. Somehow, John was now in full costume.

"When did you learn to do that?" said Melody, astounded.

"Later."

They had arrived after the attacker, and they could already hear a disturbance inside. Someone speaking in a deep, male voice, loudly proclaiming that he had crushed Malak. That made this a pretty good bet for the assembly point of the Emergent. As the pair cautiously circled towards the front of the Jefferson Memorial, Blackpool mentally kicked himself for bringing Melody along. Well, too late now. Time was likely of the essence. Besides, just then he couldn't think of a safe place for her except the repository. Perhaps not even there. A quick check revealed that his radio was receiving only static. Was it just being jammed, or was this part of a larger attack? Better to keep her where he could protect her. If he could protect anyone under these circumstances.

The tourists and Park Service personnel were obviously unsure what to make of the Emergent gathered under the dome. They were assembled in a loose group in front of Jefferson's statue. About half were in outlandish costumes, but even the members in more-or-less normal clothes were striking. Many of those in both groups seemed to be possessed of the same sort of enhanced charisma as Aaron, though to a lesser degree. Their leader was obvious, even if both Blackpool and Melody hadn't already seen photos of him and some of the others. Hanuman was not only overtly in charge, his charisma was even greater than that of the other Emergent present. For now, they were ignoring the mundane humans around them.

"Excellent," Hanuman was saying to the attacker. "We will go and finish him now."

"I almost hate to leave this place," said Chrome, the shiny one. He seemed fascinated with the statue of Jefferson. "The things he accomplished."

"Imagine what he could have done had he been empowered," said Strike!.

"Oh, humans can do anything we empowered can do," said Happy Jack. "It just takes them longer. Sometimes longer than they can live."

"Regardless, we need to go now," said Hanuman, turning towards the front of the Memorial, "before there is an interruption."

Blackpool took a deep breath and stepped into his path. There were several interesting reactions among both the Emergent and the non-empowered humans there. In fact, the latter began leaving quickly, urged by the Park Service personnel.

"Oh, it's you," said Strike!.

"You there. The quick one..."

"His name is Gilgamesh," said Hanuman, sounding irritated.

"Well, whatever he's called, he's under arrest for assault. I suggest the rest of you disperse before you are charged with creating a disturbance."

"You're bluffing," said Hanuman, nodding. "If you were able to contact reinforcements you would be waiting for them. Therefore, you are making a show in the hope you can delay us long enough for someone in your group to notice the communications blackout and come to the rescue. Well, that's not happening."

"What if he's already not alone?" said Chrome, staring at Happy Jack.

"Wh-what?!" said that individual, startled.

"No, dear," said Amiga, a lean, athletic woman in a stylized gymnast's outfit. "Over here."

She started walking towards Blackpool, shifting as she did so. The figure became taller and leaner and less obviously female, though also not male. The skin turned pale, though the smile stayed the same. Even the clothing changed, into something more colorful and less gender-specific.

"I mean, this has been fun and all, but one can ruin a joke by keeping it going too long."

"Mannequin!" said Melody, startled.

From the expressions on the faces of some of the men and women of the Emergent present here, the reporter suspected that "Amiga" had been busy relieving many of the sexual tensions among the group. Mannequin smiled at Melody.

"Hello, dear. I'm afraid I wasn't nearly as useful as Aaron hoped, though I believe I did serve a worthy purpose."

"There it is," said Hanuman, smiling and nodding. "That's the explanation. You were keeping a low profile while deliberately misdirecting attention to another."

"You clever boy," said Mannequin, smiling as well, moving beside Melody. "Now, shall we discuss your surrender terms?"

"This is not an appropriate situation for jokes!" shouted Gilgamesh.

"Mannequin is trying to disarm the tension with humor," said Hanuman, calmly. "Not a bad ploy, but futile in this case. Since you joined the Emergent under false pretenses, I formally remove your protections against actions by our members."

"I feel better already!" said Mannequin, arms spread and chest out, the image of someone enjoying themself.

"Seriously, you had the element of surprise at first," said Melody, to Hanuman, "but that's long gone. What can you possibly hope to..."

"BE QUIET!" said Gilgamesh, snarling.

"I will not be quiet!" shouted Melody, obviously surprising Gilgamesh. "I have a right to speak, and I will speak!"

"You..." said the big man, flushed and angry. "You have no rights except what we allow you!"

"Oh, my," said Mannequin, smiling nastily. "You really know how to sweet talk a lady!"

"You..."

"What a remarkable mass of walking ego you are," said Blackpool, as Gilgamesh turned on Mannequin, determined to continue tag-teaming him for as long as they could get away with it. "Aside from ambushing Aaron and possibly injuring him..."

"Killing him, you mean!"

"Considering what he has survived in the past, I doubt that," said Mannequin, airily.

Blackpool didn't know if Mannequin had twigged to what he was doing and working with him, or was just determined to annoy the Emergent as much as possible. Either way, it was working.

"He's probably watching and listening right now, checking out the scene before making a dramatic entrance," said Melody, based on past experience. She had definitely figured out that they were using a delaying tactic. Whether it was in hope of Malak arriving or some other salvation, she didn't know.

"We really need to..." said Hanuman, trying in vain to redirect attention back to dealing with Malak.

"Again; are you ready to surrender?" said Blackpool.

Unfortunately, this focused Gilgamesh too directly on Blackpool. The Emergent raised his fist and advanced towards the federal agent, who watched him without so much as a flinch. Then the big man suddenly paused, looking pained. A brightly glowing spot appeared in the center of his chest. Gilgamesh looked down at the strange apparition, then back at Blackpool without comprehension.

Someone was singing.

"There ain't no grave gonna hold this body down."

The voice was sad but triumphant, claiming victory despite great troubles.

Malak appeared behind Gilgamesh, as the spear he had thrust into the Emergent member's back dumped its charge into the big man, producing a muffled explosion. Gilgamesh dropped to the ground; alive and moaning but not in any shape to fight. Smoke was literally pouring from his mouth and nose. The winged figure looked around, evaluating the situation and the people. He finished his slow sweep with Hanuman. That worthy gave an aggravated sigh and steeled himself, apparently yielding to the inevitable.

up
98 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Getting Very Near the End

Stickmaker's picture

One more installment. :-)

Just passing through...

big fight coming?

or will the bad guys focus on getting away ?

DogSig.png

Yes...

Stickmaker's picture

Yes...

Just passing through...

Dumber than a bucket of rocks

Jamie Lee's picture

Every time those arrogant morons think they've got Malak trapped, or cornered, he comes back or ruins their day.

Thinking he was held under Lincoln's toppled statue was not only arrogant but very egotistical. And ignorant, in that they knew nothing about all Malak is capable of doing.

And now the gathered Emergent are about to pay the price for being arrogant and all they've done.

At least Gilgamesh got the point that he done someone wrong.

Others have feelings too.

I swear Melody has less sense

Brooke Erickson's picture

I swear Melody has less sense of self-preservation than Lois Lane!

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks