Sing a Healing Song - Fiona's Diary

Printer-friendly version

Sing a Healing song - Fiona’s Diary

Author’s note: The following is a selection of entries from the diary of Fiona D’Arcy, the main character of “Sing a Healing Song”, and I’m writing it in the hope that I can get the inspiration for book two. In the meantime, enjoy this little snippet ...

I have discovered that my boyfriend Andrew is what they call a “leg man”

Not that he’s alone in that. I swear, if any of us girls wear an outfit that so much as shows our knees to school, the janitors have to work overtime to clean up all the boy drool.

And it’s even worse if we wear nylons. For some reason, seeing a patch of skin covered by sheer fabric sends even more sexual signals than even seeing the same patch of skin uncovered.

Even as I think about this, I realize how much I’ve changed in the last couple of months. It was only this summer that I myself was a boy, whose legs barely worked at all, and couldn’t even imagine that before summer’s end I’d be a girl, with pretty legs, and a boyfriend who appreciates them ...
I found about about my boyfriend’s interest because the weather has finally started to get colder, and my skirts and shorts have moved to the back of my now fairly large closet.

I live in Edmonton, and once winter begins to bite, only someone crazy would expose more of their flesh then they absolutely must ...

I think I wouldn’t have realized my boyfriend mourning this change in my outfits if it wasn’t for the powers I got along with my sex change. Not only can I heal people, but I can sense their pain - both emotional and physical.

And apparently, that includes learning about my boyfriend’s interest in my legs ...

Now, I don’t wanna make him sound like a total perv. He’s a good guy, treats me awesome, and loves a lot of things about me that have nothing to do with my body.

So I’m inclined to give him a break on the leg thing. Besides, I sometimes drool over him, too ...

****

I’ve been thinking a lot about my powers, and how I should use them.

I mean, sure I could just go to the local children’s hospital and heal everybody, but that could have serious consequences. Just like the masked heroes of the comics, I would have to have a secret identity to keep those I love safe from anyone who wished to put pressure on me to use my gifts for their selfish purposes.
There is also the fact that I dont know what limits I have, if any. I healed my boyfriend from a fatal injury, but I’m not sure if that would work twice. Not to mention my own healing. Can I heal myself if I get hurt? Will I age? There is so much I need to ask Grandmother next time I see her ...

***

It was the best Christmas ever. Jaci, me, and our boyfriends along with everyone’s families took turns hosting parties. It was like the song, “the twelve days of Christmas” where every day was a celebration.

***

The words “Polar Vortex” basically mean the same as “beyond cold and no fun”.

While Edmonton is known for cold winters, this on has been exceptionally hard, with entire weeks where the temperature hasn't gotten above 20 below zero.

And so even though I’m apparently less susceptible to the cold than regular folks, it has meant I’ve been mostly only going out to go to school, and therefore have missed spending time with Jaci, not to mention my boyfriend Andrew. And it's not just me feeling ... under siege by the weather. Thanks to my gifts I can tell almost everybody is struggling to keep going in this awful cold. I guess nothing any of us can do but endure ...

****

The weather has finally broken. I never thought I would feel grateful and relieved for a day with a high of minus 10, but I really am. Unfortunately the cold has been replaced by a new annoyance, election ads. It’s one thing for the adults, who at least can maybe take the info provided to make a choice, but I’m not quite old enough to vote, so the constant barrage of ads is just ... ugg.

****

Today was my birthday. I turned 18! My parents, Jaci, Andrew, and Simon treated me to a fun day at a local restaurant that has a board game theme. We laughed, had pizza, played “mousetrap” and “sorry”, and everybody sang “Happy Birthday” to me. Even though I lost a couple years thanks to my change, I don't mind. Considering I wouldn’t have lived to see 18 in my old body, it’s a big improvement in fact. Despite the fact I’m now of legal age, we didn't have any alcohol at the part, partially because Jaci, Andrew, and Simon haven't turned 18 yet, but mostly because I didn't want any. My mom’s dad died of alcoholism, so I’ve decided to steer clear of it.

***

It’s almost the end of the school year. Just Finals, and then the fun stuff - getting our diplomas, and then prom. I’m a little nervous about my finals, but at least I’m more sure what to do in September. I had a dream visit from “Grandmother”, and she wants me to train to be a teacher. She told me that one day I would be the teacher for some ... different students. Students who are were-cats, witches, mermaids, ... and unicorns ...

Fiona will return in “the secret of M.Y.T.H.” ....

up
41 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Inspiration?

Daphne Xu's picture

This was a nice sequence of diary entries. So were you inspired?

"I never thought I would feel grateful and relieved for a day with a high of minus 10, but I really am." I'm reminded of the summer of 2011, where Houston had about two solid weeks of over-100-degree weather. I remember driving to work and seeing a bank thermometer, and thinking, "How nice! Only 95 degrees!" BtW, were your temperatures (below -20) Fahrenheit or Celsius?

And once your temperature reached -10 degrees, did you wear shorts with tights underneath, to inspire your boyfriend?

"Grandmother" is she a kind of dream mentor? Unrelated to BB's Grandmother, I assume.

-- Daphne Xu

Celsius temperatures

and Grandmother is unrelated to BB. huggles!

DogSig.png

Negative ten c . . . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

That would be . . . Let’s see . . . “farging cold,” in Fahrenheit. But not deadly cold, at least!

Emma

nope, not deadly

been a LOT colder here on occasion . . .

DogSig.png