Rivers and Brooks 21

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 21

Graduation Day

Christmas vacation ended and, as my grandparents left, Dad told them he would prepare a place for them in the main house, where they could stay while a contractor came in to paint and update the interior to the servants’ quarters to Pop’s and Mama’s specifications. They made a short list of the things they wanted done, telling they trusted him to make whatever other changes he felt needed to be made. We said our goodbyes, but we were happy that they would soon be back to stay.

Of course, the end of Christmas vacation meant back to school. This was the last half of 11th grade, so Lisa and I made appointments with our counselors. Since we had both decided on careers to pursue, we wanted to see if any adjustments needed to be made in our course choices for the next school year. The counselors praised our initiative in making the appointments, and said the teachers had to guide many students closely, or they would start college still without a real career plan. Still, some started college with their career choice listed as ‘undecided’.

With the window completed, school alone was hardly enough to keep us busy. Lisa signed up as a volunteer tutor. So, two days a week Lisa stayed after school to tutor, and we got to borrow someone’s car. I am much too much an introvert for that. I like to help if I can keep my distance; that’s hardly possible for a tutor. I volunteered to do computer work in the school office. That was much more my speed. Of course, they felt the need to closely supervise my work and gave me tasks that were not connected with students’ grade. I wouldn’t have tampered with grades anyway, but they had no way of knowing that. Lisa was the only person I knew well, and her grades were already straight “A”s.

The rest of the school year was pretty uneventful. There was just enough controversy to fend off boredom. When the end of the year came, we both had maintained straight “A”’s for our entire high school careers. We realized it would be a shame to have any blemish on that record. “B+”? No way! We decided to be careful not to let things slip.

Pop and Mama moved from Tennessee, and the good life was even better. It was great to have so much of the family together. Some families, of course, couldn’t function with such closeness. The love is there, but the personalities clash. But most of the people in my family were easy to get along with. (Is that a dangling participle? “easy along with to get?” “easy with to along get?” I give up.) Most members of my family feel that family harmony was usually more important than winning an argument.

I mentioned our grades. Straight “A”’s? Nothing wrong with that, right? Well, maybe not, but it came with certain responsibilities. No problem for Lisa, but a big problem for me.

Near the end of the 12th grade, Lisa and I were called into the office and informed that our 4.0-grade point averages, while somewhat common in public schools, were a rarity at our school, and we were on a path to becoming the valedictorian and salutatorian. With equal grade point averages, she asked how we thought a decision should be made as to which of us should perform which role. It was, of course, very unusual to call in the top two students and ask which of them should be considered #1, but they knew that we were cousins and were very close. The thought of giving a speech to so many people was an extremely frightening idea for me, and Lisa and I both assure the Headmistress that Lisa was more comfortable with the valedictorian job, which would leave me with only leading the class in a short prayer and introducing Lisa. She would then give a speech, a task which she would actually enjoy.

Lisa would remember things differently, but in addition to writing my prayer, I wrote most of her speech with input from her. We presented them to the Headmistress, who enthusiastically approved them.

So, graduation day went like this:

School Headmistress
I’m not being facetious when I say our Valedictorian and Salutatorian are ‘Rivers and Brooks’. They are cousins Lisa Michelle Rivers and Sarah Rochelle Brooks. I asked them if they disliked being referred to as ‘Rivers and Brooks’, and they told me it was no problem since they came up with the term themselves. They each have an impressive 4.0-grade point average for their entire high school careers. When deciding which to have as Valedictorian, they both assured me that Lisa was more suited for the role and for giving the Valedictorian address.
We’ll now ask our Salutatorian, Sarah Rochelle Brooks, to pray that God will bestow His blessings upon this commencement service.

Sarah?

Sarah

Thank you, ma’am. Let us pray.

Dear God:
Thank you for the blessings you have bestowed upon this graduating class of 2016. We thank You that we live in a country that still allows parents to give their children a Christian education, even as many are fighting to remove You from every aspect of public life. Thank You for our talented teachers who have shown us in so many ways that they love us and care that we receive an excellent education. Thank You for the administrators, office workers, groundskeepers, custodians, cafeteria workers, and anyone I may have overlooked. Let this commencement be a start for these girls to lead exemplary lives of service to You and to their fellow man. We ask Your continued blessings on this school in the future, so that many more girls may experience the gift of true learning that we have received.
Amen

I would now like to introduce our valedictorian, and my cousin, Lisa Michelle Rivers.

Lisa
“Thank you, Sarah

“As Sarah said, we are cousins. She’s just a bit shy, so it was a miracle that she was able to get up here before this group. But, if you know her, you must know she is a wonderful person, and I hope you love her as much as I do.”

Pause

“There are some, I hope it’s very few of you, who ask; ‘Why do they call it ‘commencement’, it’s the end of school’?

“I think that the answer to that question is obvious to most of you here. This is only the beginning. Some say, ‘But, I’m seventeen years old!’. That should be, ‘I’m only seventeen years old!’ Our perception of a person’s age is skewed by our own age. A child turning 10 may say. ‘I’m 10 years old! Two digits! I’m practically an adult.’ To that 10-year-old, anyone over 15 is old. I’ve heard some people say that ‘old’ is 15 years older than yourself. Apparently, this skewed perception lasts a lifetime. So, a 40-year-old sees herself as young, and someone who is 55 as old.

“So, as I say, you’re only 17 or so now, with 12 years of formal schooling. After 12 years of learning, what comes next? The answer should be ‘more learning’, and most of you are headed to college. But, college or no, learning happens all your life. I say ‘happens’ because learning happens, whether you realize it or not and whether you intend to learn or not. A drunk, excuse me, alcoholic living on the street learns the ways of street life. A surgeon learns details about surgery and the effects, seen and unseen, on the patient not taught in medical school. We learn formally and informally. Most of what we learn formally is what we need to make a living. If you’re so inclined, you can also get some formal education in things that are of interest to you and improve the quality of your life; things such as art and music. Most of what you learn informally is what you need to get along with others and to, hopefully, improve the quality of their lives as well as your own.

“So, learning does not stop today, even if you wish it so. It’s up to you to make sure that what you learn in the future is positive.

“All the girls here are blessed. You are blessed with parents who want to see that you get the best education possible. Otherwise, why would they pay tuition to send you to school, when they could send you to public school and save all that money? They made a good decision. As my cousin said correctly, the teachers here are talented. Make no mistake, teaching is a talent and it cannot be bought. A piece of paper, even from the best school in the world, cannot give you talent. Talent is given to you by God on the day you’re born. Imagine going to a concert where the musicians are not talented, but they have a piece of paper that says they are qualified as a musician. Yes, they may know every note, timing, beat, and every detail they were taught in music school, but if they weren’t given that special skill, the results of their work may as well have come from a computer. Imagine going to a doctor who has gone through no internship and has only a piece of paper, but no talent for medicine and little ability to relate to people. You would soon be looking for another doctor. But, sadly, all you need today to get a job teaching is a piece of paper that says you spent the required time in classes learning to teach. Oh, there are teaching internships, but I’m assured that they are only formalities. A person can graduate from training as a teacher with excellent grades, but still not have that special quality that makes a good teacher. The result is likely to be a teacher who hates the job, and students who probably don’t learn a lot in that teacher’s class. That is a sad waste of resources, but even sadder is the long term effect on young students whose minds were never stimulated by a teacher who cares that they learn, and who has that special quality, that invisible, elusive, unmeasurable, unlearnable quality called ‘talent’.

“So, you have been blessed with talented teachers. The vast majority of you are headed to college, most of you to private colleges, which are known for providing quality education. Unfortunately, many professionals, especially in higher education, see teaching as a tool to advance a political agenda. Hopefully, during your years here, you have learned to distinguish education from propaganda, and will not sacrifice your principles on the altar of straight “A’s”.

“So, live your life by the tenets of truth, honesty, kindness, love for your fellow man and, above all faith in God. By doing so, you will be able to say at the end, as Paul said in the book of Timothy: ‘I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which The Lord shall give me at that day’.

Thank you.”

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Lisa got a standing ovation, and we got “rave reviews” from school administrators. I had tears in my eyes, and I wrote the speech! We had been told that most commencement speeches were more secular, but Lisa’s was a refreshing break from the tradition. It is, after all, a Christian school, and we thought we were writing something that was exactly what was expected. I guess we kind of stumbled on to something special.

High school behind us; Lisa and I were ready for our lives to “commence”

Next: Graduation, morning-after

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Prayer? Prepare To Get Bashed.

In Oregon, I doubt that anyone would be allowed to say a prayer of any kind. Of course, this is set in Texas, so maybe ...

I hope that you don't get a bunch of nasty comments about excessive religiosity.

Blessings.

Gwen

Excessive religiosoity

The girls have been attending a private girls school. Private schools basically only need to comply with state-mandated educational requirements for classwork. It is not clear from the story whether this was a religion-affiliated school or not but it was clear that it was private. As far as colleges and universities are concerned, they look at classwork, grades, recommendations, extracurricular activities, etc. from students that apply for admission. And as far as the author is concerned, she is entitled to write as she feels. I have been enjoying this story.

Double fat fingers

Please excuse the fat fingers!

And Gwen darling...

Mantori's picture

... you were probably expecting me to do the bashing????

But, alas, as you so rightly point out, it, the story, is set in a Christian school. So have at it. It is in places where the reality of life is more secular that prayer should completely be eliminated. Prayer of all kinds or they should all be given an equal amount of time in invocations, openings and commencements...

I am the first one who will say this, just to be the atheist antagonist here... if your so-called god has a perfect plan for your life, why the f#(k are you praying... trying to convince him to do better just for you and your ilk?

Well, that is enough of that.

May I make one comment about the story as a whole and the personal development of Sarah after her life-changing diagnosis and subsequent realization as a female. There hardly was any to talk about. Your time jumps were too frequent and you skipped so many possible events that could have made the reader care a lot more about the journey of Sarah. I am not saying the story has been bad, I am just pointing out that you missed some opportunities to make the readers really care about your characters.

Thank you as always for sharing your talent with me, a reader.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Wow a great speach

Samantha Heart's picture

Sarha may have wrote it but Lisa drove it home. Sarha's prayer was good as well. The girls have it going on for sure.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Thank you,

I am 86 and still learning !! Life is so wonderful if you allow it to be and keep an open mind .Yes, I am a Christian but
I don't need to go to Church ,the sea, the mountains the rivers and streams are my church . If you stop learning you
have finished living so enjoy and live your life. Love the story !

Another great chapter.

The speech is so right. While a lady never reveals her age, the world has travelled around the sun quite a few times since I was born. I hope I never stop learning until the day they put the lid on the box and who knows, there may be more to learn in another universe?

Nice speech.

Nice speech.
There is the world of difference between being qualified and become good at your job.
If you look at grades people get in university and the money they have made 10 years after graduation there is no correlation.
The ones who made most money were the one who had a written plan with deadlines no matter what grads they got.
Money is not the best measure of success, but it is the easiest one to measure.
There is a saying I think from America I once heard.
The person graduates form University end up working for the person who did not graduate from University .
eg.
Michael Dell dropped out of medical school to start Dell Computers.