The Window - Chapter 3 of 6

Printer-friendly version

The Window

Paul, being in an exploratory mood, accidentally found a portal that transported him back in time with a twist.

By
Becky Reus
Proofread By Jamie M
©2019

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

Chapter Three

Paul decided to do his homework after school promptly instead of running straight to the house. After it was done, he put the stuff away before heading out.

Instead of taking the direct route this time, he took a way which may shake off someone following him. Going to the window, he was inside before you could blink. Getting off the floor, she discovered that instead of the lavender outfit she wore the last two times, she was wearing a white with blue printed flowers all over it gown with a matching blue underskirt in cotton. She dusted her gown off, before heading upstairs to check under the pillow.

In her room, she found the sampler sitting on the shelf, what she didn’t find was the paper anywhere in the room. She grabbed her hat which was sitting on her chair, and put it on her head. Taking the sampler she headed outside to sit in the sun to work on it. She had been working on the A of Madison for about twenty minutes when Ruth came to her, and asked “Lady Elizabeth, can you grab me some potatoes from the cellar?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” Elizabeth nervously answered knowing that she couldn’t go in the cellar. She decided to see what would happen anyways.

Slowly she went down the stairs, she stood staring in the cellar looking for the potatoes from the outside. Once she saw it, she went in the crawl space and as expected became Paul. He decided to wait about five minutes before heading back to Ruth. While he was waiting decided to explore the wall directly next to the door. He felt old mounting locations for lanterns next to the door.

When he thought he had been down below the house long enough, he went back towards the stairs and was surprised to find eight or nine small potatoes being held in her under skirt as she held it up. Going back up the stairs towards the building, she found Ruth and Lucy cooking in what must be an outdoor kitchen. She asked them, “Is this enough?”

“Excellent, Lady Elizabeth, Go back to your sampler, dinner will be done in thirty minutes.” Ruth told her.

About that time, Joseph was sending her to the dining room. Soon she was getting served Potato Leek soup along with her parents.

After all three courses of the dinner was done, she ran upstairs to put the sampler away, before locating herself in the back common room to look for her chance to escape back to the 21st century.

It appeared that her parents were getting ready to leave the house, which was confirmed by Lucy coming in the room, and telling her, “Elizabeth your parents have a party at the palace, I am to make sure you get in bed at your time. I will help you after I get your mother ready.”

Soon Lucy and Joseph were heading upstairs, she assumed get both of them ready. Since the two of them were busy, and Elizabeth assumed that Ruth was doing the dishes, she took her chance and raised the window.

Without an alarm being raised she was back as Paul in the modern world. Noticed that the sun was getting low, he went home after closing the window behind him.

Walking in the house, he said, “Mom, Dad I am home.” After getting acknowledgment he went to his room. Switching to his pajamas after a stop in the bathroom, he crawled into the bed. Putting his hand under his pillow reflexively, he discovered a paper under it. Turning his bedside light on he looked at the paper and saw one side was a very familiar auction notice from 1773. It no longer was a flat sheet, someone had folded it, almost as if someone was trying to smuggle it out of the 18th century. Turning it over it said in an obviously quill writing “What happens when I come here? — EAM” Quill writing that he very much remembered writing as Elizabeth. Under that in a modern black pen it replied, “I come here… — PDL” PDL was his initials, ‘Paul Danial Lockhart’

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

When he woke up, he added another note to paper before heading to school in blue ink, “When I am here? — PDL” leaving the paper under his pillow. He wasn’t afraid of his parents finding it, because they never entered his room. It was his private area, and he was responsible for taking care of it.

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

He dropped his pack off in his room and went straight to his exploration site. Checking to make sure no one had followed him, he decided to see if he could get in a more ‘ladylike’ way. He knew that Lucy was just a servant but he realized that she ruled the roost.

Hoisting himself up to the windowsill he … she … succeeded in getting in the window without falling on the floor. Taking stock of her outfit, it was a good thing too. She was wearing a cream silk outfit that you could tell she was out growing. The skirt was four inches higher off the floor than the last two outfits she wore. Her chest felt like the stays were taken in more than she was used to, so the top could be fastened. Even so looking at her reflection in the window after she closed it, it looked like she breathed wrong everything would pop right open.

Joseph walked in the room, and said “Lady Abigail would like Lady Elizabeth in the front room.”

Walking in the front room via the door right next to her, she said, “Mother you wanted me?”

“Dreadful, you look like you have outgrown that gown. It will have to do until tomorrow or Tuesday when your new one is done, Sweetie. Please put your hat on, it is time to head to church.” Abigail said while giving Elizabeth a fancier hat then the one she wore before.

After putting her hat on, Elizabeth followed her mother, and meet her father on the porch. The three of them walked hand and hand to church. Followed her father, they walked down the aisle until they got to a pew with a door that said ‘Fred Madison’ on it. Looking around the church, she thought this was going to be a very uncomfortable ordeal.

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

Elizabeth fought to stay awake during the five hour church service. She found it very boring and very fire and brimstone like. The preacher’s sermon went on for almost three itself. Her stomach loudly complained about the late meal. Which caused her father to say, “Does Ruth never feed you? I doubt it, but listen to your stomach complain!”

All Elizabeth could do is blush up red as they walked back home. When they got home Elizabeth was sent in the front room to look pretty, she asked to do her sampler which caused her mother to exclaim, “On a Sunday?!?!”

She remembered a doll on the shelf in her room, so she went up to grab it. Going back to the front room, joining her parents, she knelt down on the floor and played with her doll. She was playing quietly when she was called to the dining room for a Sunday meal.

Joseph again slide her chair in once she sat on it, and he did the same thing to her mother. Ruth set a plate with what looked like dark meat turkey and vegetables on it. Taking a bite on the meat she discovered it wasn’t Turkey. Her mother spoke, “Your slow cooked goose tastes excellent today, Ruth.”

There was no soup or dessert today, just the roast goose and vegetables. Elizabeth wonder if that was because of the day of the week. Once the meal was done, she joined her parents in the front room. While playing with the doll again, she waited for her chance to disappear in the back room.

She decided to excuse herself claiming the need of the necessary, heading instead to the back room via the hall. Figuring her window of opportunity was short today, she walked swiftly but softly to the window. Opening it quietly, she quickly jumped out the window, and tumbled down the ramp.

After stopping to close the window, he ran home to check under his pillow. Back in his room, he found no paper there, or anywhere in his room. Thinking to himself, he thought, “It must be in Elizabeth’s bedroom.”

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~

Author's Note:Comments and questions are always welcomed -- Thanks Becky

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So

how long before they start a real correspondence w/ each other on a regular basis?

this is a very interesting

this is a very interesting story, not sure how the communication thing works going between centuries.

The communication seems

Beoca's picture

The communication seems fascinating. Let’s see what comes of it. Is Paul accounted for when he jumps through the window (as Elizabeth clearly is)?