The Prince Bride - 6

Printer-friendly version

The Prince Bride - Chapters 13 & 14.
By Missy Crystal

Prince Charles was heir to the throne. At his christening, three of the four fairy protectors of the Kingdom (the kind with wings and wands) appeared to give him the customary blessings for a future king. The fourth fairy sister, arriving late from partying all night with the elves, mistakenly believes the baby is a girl and gives her the blessing of being a happy bride. Can the fairy magic be undone? Will the prince grow up to be a queen of one kind or another? Read the story and find out.

Chapter 13. Tea and Sympathy.

Countess Marlyne arose early the next morning in anticipation of her audience with the Queen. The acceptance she had received upon their first meeting emboldened her to dress as was her usual custom, and so she favored fashion over modesty in her selection of attire.

"Yes, the décolletages blue dress with the silver embroidered bodice and the grey kidskin shoes with silver buckles will do nicely," she thought to herself.

Selecting the complimentary undergarments, she put on the dress and was assisted with the fastenings and laces by her maid. After doing up her hair, applying her makeup and choosing her jewelry, she preened before the mirror and then settled herself on the divan in the drawing room, awaiting the arrival of the Queen's messenger. Upon the first stroke of nine by the tower bell, there was a knock on her door. It was answered by the maid, who ushered in a visitor.

Countess Marlyne was expecting to receive a note as before and was surprised that the messenger would insist on delivering it in hand, even more so when she realized that the caller was a woman. Her dress was of light blue wool with black piping and laces, austere by palace standards, and her dark hair was braided into a chignon held in place by a single polished wood comb, a practical style not worn by women of the Court, but favored by those of the village. She wore no cosmetics and had but two simple pieces of jewelry, a gold wedding band and a brooch worn over her left breast. Upon closer scrutiny of the design on the brooch, the royal coat of arms, there was no doubt as to the young woman's identity, although, up to now, the Countess had only seen her from afar in the company of the Princess.

"Lady Elisse," Countess Marlyne greeted her cordially. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?" she inquired.

"The Queen would like you to attend her at your earliest convenience," she said, although such an invitation was not one to be postponed for other than the most dire circumstances. "I also wished to offer you some words of comfort, for the Princess has told me of your loss."

It took a moment for the Countess to realize what Elisse mean. Remembering that she had told the Princess of the heart breaking consequence of her affair as a young woman, her face registered surprise.

Observing her reaction, Elisse assured her, "the Princess and I have no secrets. I apologize if I have caused you any dismay in speaking of it."

Countess Marlyne shook her head.

"I only asked the Princess not to repeat it to the King. I trust her judgment and, knowing the secret to which you are privy, I trust your discretion."

"Countess Marlyne," Elisse began earnestly, turning to face her and taking her hands, "I was born in the village and expected that I would live out my life there, as did my family for as many generations as memory serves. When the Princess was returned to her mother, my father, the royal tailor, was summoned to provide her with suitable attire. Having none at hand, he offered her a dress he had made for me and the Queen considerately granted me the privilege of delivering it. By what coincidence was it, I later wondered, that not only was I the same size as the Princess, but that I was of the proper temperament to accept with my whole heart a boy who was to be a girl. And by what coincidence, I wondered as well, was it that my husband to be, for whom my love knows no bounds, was awaiting my arrival? I have come to believe that the magic has the ability to shape both past and future to fulfill its purpose and, having done so, compensates those whose lives it has altered."

Elisse looked into Countess Marlyne's eyes and said compassionately," I have done all that I can do to teach the Princess to be a girl. I believe that you were chosen to teach her to be a woman and so prepared, although cruelly it would seem. If I am right, then all that has happened to you was by the magic's design. The fairies assured the King and Queen that a blessing always turns out well, so I am told, and I cannot but believe that such an enchantment would see that no harm befell an innocent baby. I have the greatest confidence that your child is well and prospers."

Countess Marlyne looked back at Elisse tearfully.

"Thank you, Lady Elisse, for your kind words which do give me comfort."

Elisse nodded her head gently in recognition.

"I could do no less, Countess, for it is but this very cycle of the moon that I did not stain myself," Elisse revealed, patting her stomach gently, "and so, by yet another coincidence, we two servants of the enchantment are bound."

Countess Marlyne could not control herself, but moved forward and embraced Elisse with soft sobs of both joy for her and relief for herself. Elisse sympathetically wrapped her arms around the countess and allowed her to release her emotions. When she felt the Countess' breath return to a regular rhythm, she let go and stood back.

"We should go," she reminded the Countess.

"Are you to accompany me, Lady Elisse?"

"Yes," Elisse answered with a smile.

"Then please let me repair my appearance. It would not do for Her Majesty to see me in such a state. I shall only be a moment," the Countess told her as she turned. "Well, perhaps a few moments," she said lightly as she hurried to her boudoir.

Upon her return, Countess Marlyne carried a shawl to provide a more modest appearance in public and a purse. As they left her apartment, Elisse politely took her arm. They walked in silence, appearing to be two friends out for a stroll, so as not to arouse the curiosity of those wags in the court whose daily fare was intrigue and gossip. Upon arriving at the palace, Elisse took a different route from the one leading to the reception hall. She approached an archway beside which two royal guards were stationed. Upon her arrival, they came to attention. Elisse nodded and passed by. After a number of confusing turns through corridors and up a stone staircase, they arrived at what Countess Marlyne recognized as the door to the Queen's apartment, with the customary two guards stationed outside. Elisse knocked on the door to announce their arrival and the door was opened by the Queen, upon whose recognition the guards knelt and Countess Marlyne dropped into a curtsey. With a wave of her hand, Queen Charlotte bid them rise, nodded to Elisse, signaling her dismissal, and then motioned for the Countess to enter, closing the door behind her.

"Countess Marlyne, you are most timely," the Queen observed appreciatively. "I am anxious to know of your inquiry and you have accommodated me by your promptness. I am well pleased. Do sit," the Queen motioned to the settee, before which was the stand with tea and cakes, "and take some refreshment." The Queen seated herself and Countess Marylyne served. When they had settled, the Queen turned to Countess Marlyne. "Have you discovered how the Princess feels about men?" she inquired.

Not wanting to keep the Queen waiting by indulging in social amenities, Countess Marlyne replied, "the Princess was most eager to learn how to gain the affection of a man and, knowing of my experience in such matters, sought my guidance. Upon my proposal, she confirmed her preference."

"What was it that you proposed, Countess, and what was it that she preferred?" the Queen questioned.

"I proposed marriage," your Highness," Countess Marlyne answered truthfully.

"Marriage?" the Queen repeated skeptically. "Knowing that the Princess must be a bride and so marry a prince to fulfill the enchantment, for what reason would you make such a proposal?"

"The Princess is charming. Whether by her nature or magic, I know not. You and the King see her as a daughter and, by their youth when they first met, Elisse and the Princess have grown up as sisters. All others cannot help but fall in love with her. As we could not both be brides, it was her prerogative to claim that role. She did so choose, as I expected the enchantment would direct, and so her preference for a male partner was confirmed."

"A most clever ruse, Countess," the Queen complimented her.

"Not a ruse, your Highness. The Princess' innocence makes insincerity impossible."

"You would have married the Princess, had she accepted?" the Queen asked incredulously.

"No, had it come to that, for reason need overrule passion to protect the innocent, as I have bitterly learned, your Highness."

Although not knowing the full import of the Countess' confession, the Queen agreed as to the general proposition of romantic restraint with a nod of her head.

"You are convinced, then, that there will be no embarrassment to the Kingdom by the invitation of royal suitors for the Princess?"

"Yes, your Highness, I am sure. But there is still a concern not yet considered."

The Queen looked puzzled.

"If I recall the blessing given by the fairy, as you repeated it to me, the Princess was to be a happy bride, is that correct?"

"Yes, those were the fairy's words" the Queen affirmed.

"No mention was made then of a happy marriage or a happy wife?"

"No, none," the Queen agreed.

"What then, your Highness, will happen when the Prince discovers that all is not as it seems on their wedding night?"

The color in the Queen's cheeks drained and she put her fingers to her mouth in consternation.

"Oh dear! We have for so long considered the Princess to be a girl that I had not given thought to how her husband would perceive her. I am at a loss," the Queen conceded. Then her dismay turned to hope. "The fairies assured us that a blessing, even one bestowed by mistake, always produces a good result. Should that not suffice?"

"I am not versed in the ways of magical creatures, your Highness," the Countess answered, "and therefore cannot say what outcome their kind would consider sufficient or whether they are familiar enough with our customs to realize that a marriage can be annulled, if not consummated. What then of the happy bride?"

The Queen's optimism faded and her face fell.

"Is there no solution to our dilemma, Countess?" the Queen asked earnestly. "Must I report to the King that I have failed and so there shall be no wedding for fear of reprisals when the truth is revealed? You are so clever in such affairs, can you think of nothing?"

"There is but one way to know how a man would feel about courting the Princess, your Highness."

Once again, the Queen looked hopeful and then frowned as she realized the implication of the Countess' suggestion.

"Countess, such a liaison is impossible," the Queen argued, waiving her hand in dismissal of the idea for emphasis.

"I meant no offense, your Highness," Countess Marlyne responded quickly. "I too care for the Princess and would make no proposition that could compromise her virtue, but, with all due respect, I do not believe that under the circumstances the Princess' virginity is in danger."

The Queen paused and reflected.

"My reaction was as a mother, Countess, not as a Queen who must put the welfare of her Kingdom before the chastity of her daughter. Your suggestion was offered sincerely, for which there should be no reproach. However, I doubt the King would be of like mind and for me to arrange or even approve of such an affair would be worth my life, despite his affection."

"Then leave it to me, your Highness. You have asked me to determine whether the Princess is suitable for marriage and, if I exceed my authority, then the ax shall fall on my neck, not yours."

"You would sacrifice yourself for me, Countess?" the Queen queried.

"Yes, your Highness, I would," the Countess assured her. "My life is of little value; a succession of meaningless affairs and wasteful self-indulgences. My demise in your service would be a far better end."

"Your offer is much appreciated," the Queen replied, "but I cannot accept it, for there is no honor in allowing you to be punished in my stead."

"Please, your Highness," the Countess entreated. "It is my commission, for the execution of which, in either meaning, I alone am responsible. With all due respect, I do not need nor do I seek your permission to tutor the Princess in the amorous arts, however it is accomplished, and so you remain blameless. Were it otherwise and should you suffer for a plan of my devising, I could not live with myself and so there would be two deaths where one would suffice. Again, with all due respect your Highness, you must promise me that you will not intervene on my behalf."

"Very well, Countess," the Queen conceded. "You have my word. But know that you have a friend like no other. Upon the completion of your task, ask what you will and it shall be granted, if it is within my power or influence."

"You are most generous, your Highness, but I have seen that position and wealth bring no comfort to the heart. Your friendship is reward enough." Returning to the problem at hand, Countess Marlyne observed, "If I am to do what is necessary, then I should be off. Please tell the Princess that I have arranged to complete her education and would like to see her in my apartment to sample the fruit of which we spoke at seven of the clock this evening. By your leave, you Highness."

The Queen smiled at the cryptic message, rose and bid the Countess to do the same with an upward gesture of her right hand. The Countess dropped into a respectful curtsey and took the liberty of turning away as she headed for the door.

"Wait," the Queen ordered.

The Countess stopped, puzzled by the Queen's unexpected outburst. Had she changed her mind, she worried.

"There is something you will need, if you are to be carry out your plan," the Queen paused, "whatever it may be," she added in furtherance of their understanding.

Moving from the sofa to her desk, she removed something from a small chest and returned.

Standing before her, the Queen requested, "please do sit and present your back, so that I may fasten this around your neck. As it is for my convenience, there is no offense taken."

Although the Countess had already disavowed any need for compensation, she could not decline a royal gift and so returned to the sofa, adjusted her skirt beneath her and sat sideways, so that the Queen could come up behind her. By the rustle of the Queen's petticoats, Lady Marlyne could tell that she had moved forward and then felt a light touch as a chain was strung about her neck and clasped.

"This royal symbol served its last mistress well, Countess Marlyne, until I replaced it with a more formal setting."

"Following the chain down with her hand, the Countess came to a ring. Turning it upwards, it took a moment for her to recognize the design as the royal coat of arms. Remembering the brooch worn by Elisse, she observed, "this belonged to Lady Elisse."

"Yes, Countess, it was hers, to insure that there would be no interference with her care and protection of the Princess as she underwent her transition. It shall again serve to promote the Princess' welfare, as I doubt you could do that which must be done without some proof of your authority."

Recognizing the truth of the Queen's concern, Lady Marlyne discretely tucked the ring into her cleavage, leaving only the fine gold chain exposed, no different than any other piece of decorative jewelry.

"A resting place which many in the Court would envy," the Queen suggested.

The countess returned a smile, curtseyed again as an expression of her gratitude and departed. Upon her exit, one of the guards stationed outside the door fell in beside her and delivered her to the reception area.

Chapter 14. Sir Reginald

The Countess hurried back to her apartment, dropped her cape and purse on the settee and went to her desk, where she penned a note. Calling her maid, she directed her, "Jeana, you must take this message to Sir Reginald, the Commandant of the Palace Guard. I am not sure where you will find him. Start at the Guard's headquarters and seek him out. Do not tarry and do not detour. Return immediately once you have made your delivery. Should he question you about my request, you are to tell him you know naught but to do as you were bid. Do you understand?

The maid confirmed her instructions, curtseyed and left. Countess Marlyne went into her bedroom to freshen up in anticipation of Sir Reginald's arrival. When she was satisfied with her appearance, she settled herself on the settee with a book of poetry. It had been before noon when the maid left and tower bell had already tolled one when she returned.

"Well?" Countess Marlyne asked expectantly, upon the girl's entry.

"Please do not be cross, you Ladyship. I did try my best, honestly, my best, I swear upon my oath I did, but the Commandant's orderly, he, he" she stammered, "he wouldn't grant me entry. He said that I could only see the Commandant if I was on official Court business. I," she hesitated nervously, "I gave him the note to give to Sir Reginald and told him it was important. He said he would deliver it. He said he would deliver it," she repeated, nodding her head for emphasis.

"I am not cross, Jeana. To the contrary, you did well to place the note in the hands of Sir Reginald's orderly. In fact, to show my appreciation, you may take the rest of the day off and the evening as well. Do not return until after the tower bell tolls ten tomorrow morning."

The maids eyes lit up at the through of being released from her chores for a full day, as vacations were not permitted the servants.

"If it pleases you, your ladyship, I will spend the night with my sister. It has been ever so long since I saw her. May I be of service before I leave?"

"No, Jeana, you may go. No, wait," the Countess ordered. Feeling generous, she went to her purse and took out a silver coin. "This is for you to buy your sister some sweets, as it is not polite to impose, even on a family member, without a proper gift."

"Thank you, your ladyship," the maid said gratefully and curtseyed. No further conversation being necessary, she turned and hurried to the kitchen, where she gathered her things and left by the back door.

The Countess returned to the settee and took up her reading, patiently awaiting the arrival of Sir Reginald. As the tower bell struck the half hour and then the hour, she began to worry that he had not received her note, or worse, that he had taken it as some trivial social invitation of no urgency. She rose and began to pace in a swirl and rustle of petticoats. The tower bell struck the half hour and still no Sir Reginald. Then, just as the Countess had conceded the failure of her effort, there was a knock.

"Reginald," she greeted her guest upon admitting him. She looked around to assure herself that he was alone and closed the door

He was the picture of a soldier. Tall, ruggedly handsome, with dark close cropped hair and steely eyes, mutton chop whiskers running into a neatly trimmed mustache and impeccably dressed in his red, blue and gold detailed Royal Guard's uniform, brass buttons gleaming and boots polished to a mirror shine. It was no wonder that he was irresistible to the women of the Court, regardless of their age or marital status, a situation of which he was quite pleased to take constant advantage.

"Lady Marlyne, I shall not take kindly to being summoned on a whim," he warned her.

"Really Reginald," she replied confidently, "have we not been acquainted long enough for you to know that I am not one of those self-indulgent doxies who curry your favor. I assure you, it is a matter of greatest urgency. Please do take a seat and I shall explain. And," she added, as she preceded him to the settee," it is not Lady Marlyne, but Countess."

"Marlyne," he responded sternly, "you go too far. Such pretense is an offense from which even our friendship will not protect you, were I to take it seriously."

"I have a right to the title, Reginald," Countess Marlyne insisted. "It was bestowed upon me by the Queen when she enlisted my service and it is the completion of that mission for which I need your help."

"Marlyne, mind your tongue! You go too far," Sir Reginald threatened upon her mention of the Queen, placing his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"Reginald," the Countess replied quietly, "you have my parole that I will neither attack you nor try to escape, if you would but listen to what I have to tell you. Afterwards, should you still be of a mind to take me into your custody, I will not resist. Might you not give me that courtesy?"

"Very well, Marlyne," I will listen," Sir Reginald conceded, "but do not tax my patience."

"Will you sit then Reginald? It is quite awkward to have a conversation when you are looming over me. If you wish to search my person," she offered with a smile," you may assure yourself that I have no weapon and so may be confident of your safety while in my company."

Sir Reginald seated himself. Countess Marlyne drew the ring from its concealment and held it out.

"Do you recognize this device?" she asked him.

Expecting it to be a trinket, Sir Reginald glanced at it briefly. It looked familiar and he reached out to take it in his hand for a closer inspection. Studying it, he recognized the royal coat of arms and dropped the ring, as though it had suddenly turned red hot and burnt his fingers."

"Marlyne, how came you by this!" he demanded, jumping to his feet and drawing his sword menacingly. "Theft of royal property is punishable by death."

"Yes, I know," the Countess answered calmly. "So too is disobedience to one who rightfully posses it. If I have deceived you," Countess Marlyne reasoned with him, "there is time enough for you to take action. If I am truthful, then you will have not only done yourself a disservice, but the Kingdom as well. Choose, Reginald. And do sheath you sword while contemplating."

Sir Reginald had a pained expression on his face while he pondered the alternatives. As a dedicated soldier in the service of the Crown, he was honor bound to obey anyone who exercised royal authority, as the ring conferred, without question. In that regard, the Countess was right.

"Very well, Countess Marlyne," Sir Reginald replied, graciously recognizing her title, "how may I serve you?"

Accepting his concession, Countess Marlyne began, "Reginald, what I am about to tell you is a state secret known only to the royal family. If you think it odd that I have been entrusted with it, I too find myself at a loss to understand the unexpected turn of events. However, as you will come to hear, there is fairy magic involved and so our lives are influenced it would seem. You know of Princess Charlene, I expect," she continued, pausing for his reply."

"Yes, of Course, Marlyne, umm, Countess, as she is under the protection of the Royal Guard, as is the King and Queen and high Court officials."

"You know too of Prince Charles?"

"Yes, although he has been gone from the Kingdom since his birth."

"No, Reginald, he never left. Princess Charlene is Prince Charles, transformed by an enchantment placed on him at his christening. That is the secret," Countess Marlyne revealed.

Sir Reginald shook his head.

"No, Marlyne, Countess, it is not possible. I have seen the Princess and she is a woman, of that I have no doubt, having more than my share of experience with that sex, as you well know. Moreover, in my youth, I was one of the Royal Guards who escorted the infant Prince and stood by as the four fairies gave him their blessings. All went well."

"No Reginald, one of the fairies believed the baby was a girl and gave him a blessing meant for a Princess, that she would be a happy bride. The blessing could not be undone and so, to prevent controversy, the fairies cast a spell on those present to believe as you do, but for the royal couple. In hopes of preventing the outcome, the King devised a plan to keep the Prince from all feminine influence. Reginald, do you recall in the past a section of the castle which was off limits?"

"Yes, the west wing of the palace was closed and the grounds appurtenant surrounded with a high stone wall. A detachment of Royal Guards secured the area. None were permitted in or out without royal permission."

"Were you not curious as to what was inside?"

"It was speculated that the King was protecting another ruler who had been exiled."

"Did it not seem a strange coincidence that the security was removed at the same time that Princess Charlene arrived?"

"A coincidence, yes, but no more. The Princess selected Lieutenant Ulrich as her protector and he had the good fortune to win the hand of her companion, Lady Elisse. He would certainly recognize any deception, as would she, but neither has so revealed."

"He would see what appeared to be a girl. Lady Elisse discovered the truth and was sworn to secrecy. This ring once was worn by her as authority to shield the Princess while she transitioned into womanhood."

"Even if this fantastic tale were true, Countess, what business is it of mine?" Sir Reginald questioned.

"The business is mine, Reginald, for I have been asked by the Queen to determine if the Princess, male by birth, would be receptive to wedding a prince, as she must in order to fulfill the enchantment. Should she not, then the King and Queen fear that there may be dire consequences for the Princess and perhaps the Kingdom too."

"From what little I know of them," Countess, "the fairies are clever creatures. Why should there be any doubt that they have provided for the ending foretold? Has the spell not already done so by turning the Prince into a princess, if what you have told me is true?"

"While the Princess may appear to all who see her as female, I am assured that," the Countess paused, considering her words, "her transformation is not complete."

Sir Reginald's eyes went wide in disbelief.

"You mean, she still has …," he paused discreetly.

"So I am told," Reginald, "which is why my business has become your business."

Sir Reginald shook his head in disbelief.

"Marylyne, Countess," he replied apologetically, "I am a solider. Such matters of magic are beyond my experience. I do not see how I can be of assistance."

"You are a man, Reginald, and so you are quite suited for the task."

Sir Reginald gave the Countess a puzzled look.

"I need you to determine how the Princess feels towards men and how a man feels towards her under the circumstances. I have made a preliminary inquiry and believe that all is well, but there is only one way to know for certain. To allow a Prince to wed her without such assurance is to invite disaster. Do you understand now?"

"I know that I have a headache greater than had I been felled with a mace," Countess.

"Reginald, as the Queen offered me the opportunity to decline for personal reasons, so I offer you. I need your experience as a man, freely given, not your obedience as soldier."

"Marlyne, Countess, I, I," Sir Reginald replied haltingly, "I have no experience in such matters. Would not someone who prefers such liaisons be better suited?"

The Countess shook her head.

"We cannot count on the prince who weds the Princess to favor men. Nor would I think that the Princess, feminine in all appearances, would care for such a husband. If I am wrong in both respects, then all is to the good. Otherwise, there is but one who can answer the question, Reginald. What say you?"

"Then my answer is yes, Countess," Sir Reginald said formally.

"I am pleased, Reginald, as I believe you too will be upon becoming acquainted with Princess Charlene. Please return here when the tower clock strikes half after the hour of seven and report back to me tomorrow morning.

Sir Reginald stood up. The Countess rose and looked up at him.

"The Princess was an innocent baby when the course of her life was changed. She is, Reginald, like a feather, unable to resist the forces that direct it. Judge her not by who she was born, but by who she has become."

Reginald looked down and his face softened for the first time in their conversation. He nodded.

"Well spoken, Marlyne," he replied familiarly. "I shall do so."

He stepped backwards, extended his left leg, bent at the knee, paged his sword back with his left hand, placing his right arm across his chest in a sweeping gesture, and bowed slightly.

"Until tomorrow then, Countess."

He turned smartly and walked to the door, letting himself out and closing it behind him.

TO BE CONTINUED

up
66 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Enchanting

terrynaut's picture

This is a such a wonderful story. The characters are so sensible and understanding, and the Princess is a joy to behold. I look forward to seeing how she becomes a happy bride and wait anxiously to see if she also gets her "happily ever after".

Distinguishing between being a happy bride and a happy wife is a nice touch by the way. It gives the story a wee bit more tension. You've really got me wondering now. Thanks. :)

Hugs

- Terry

The promise

of early chapters is still being fulfilled. A lovely, gentle tale with some beautiful language and courtly manners.

The characters, and the interplay between them, make for a plot with a tension all of its own. It will be interesting to see how the conflict of Charlene's anatomy and the fairy prediction is finally resolved.

Susie

My heart panteth for more!

Goodness, I really have no idea what the solution to this conundrum could be. This tale is so captivating; I love it!

I await more with bated breath. :)

Gwen Brown

Better and better

Thi story just keeps getting better and better as it progresses. So very entertaining.
Thank you for writing this.