Self Harming on a Global Scale

Printer-friendly version

SELF HARMING ON A GLOBAL SCALE

The new world Halcion was desperately seeking immigrants, though the leaders of Earth had no idea that Halcion was other than mildly interested in the folk of Earth, for they’d been truthfully told the Halcionistas were recruiting on several other worlds amongst beings of several species. The Halcionistas had decided no disclosure as to what they desired should be given, or more precisely no clues concerning what they specifically did not desire should be given. An individual either was desirable or would not be accepted.

No matter how wealthy an individual was or how powerful, all knew the Earth was a mess and it would not be long before it couldn’t feed and support a fraction of its current population of in excess of twenty-five billion. The result was when the Halcionista ships appeared and it was announced they were seeking suitable colonists all were desperate to be deemed suitable. Though the senior Halcionistas were constantly depressed by how few of Earth’s adult population were suitable, none were refused interview and all were treated equally at interview. Any who were deemed to have a victim mentality or a sense of entitlement that excused them from trying to help themselves were not desired. Any who had used the system to better themselves unfairly were not desired. Habitual criminals were not desired. Halcionistas were not interested in why a person behaved the way they did. For them there were no excuses, a person was either in their eyes, by their standards, acceptable or not.

Once accepted immigrants were taken to live on one of the two vast FTL vessels in orbit above the Earth where full disclosure took place. When sufficient colonists were aboard the ship took them to their new home leaving the other to continue recruitment from the over populated and resource scarce planet. The Halcion ambassador had been offered a secure enclave for the Halcion embassy by a number of nations, but deemed it safer from a security point of view and wiser from a diplomatic point of view to use one of the transport ships. As soon as the colonists left Earth orbit their ship was replaced by another FTL vessel. None on Earth had any idea how many such ships Halcion had, where Halcion was in relation to Earth or any idea how developed Halcion science and technology were other than that they were far in advance of those of Earth. In the event of a mistake being made concerning an immigrant’s suitability the unacceptable colonist would be returned to whence he came on Earth with suitably modified memories of the time spent in space, though no such event had yet occurred.

The FTL population contained a disproportionate number of members of the LGBT+, but no hard line feminists, no members of any overtly religious group, nor indeed members of any other group who wished to determine how others should live, and the average age of adults was over sixty, which was offset by large numbers of the very young since the orphanages of the planet had been virtually emptied. A major problem was the population contained few women of child bearing age which was resolved by some intensive research which extended child bearing age and the adoption of huge numbers of young orphans from famine areas, many of who came from groupings from which no adults had been accepted, though none were old enough to be aware of their background or its implications and all would grow up as equal members of their new culture. They were all Halcionistas.

The major principle on which their society was based was that all had the right to do whatsoever they willed provided it did not impinge on the freedoms of others. The constitution expressly stated that laws could not be enacted that limited the activities of the many purely to contain the antisocial activities of the few, better it was stated the few were put to death. It also stated that expulsion of the antisocial from society was not an option, for they could then return to hurt the innocent, death for the antisocial was preferable. Should death be decided upon, the name of an adult was drawn at random, the names of all who had served as executioners before were excluded, to carry out the sentence. Any adult unwilling to so serve would be returned to Earth or put to death: all had to serve and all carried a razor sharp belt knife.

The residents of Earth had no warning when the last FTL ship was to leave. One day there were two of the vessels in orbit, the next instead of one space was empty, and despite the many millions the ships had taken they had scarce made a dent in Earth’s population. As the Halcion Ambassador said to its staff, “That was the most depressing planet I have ever visited. I truly believed we could help both them and us, but with that mentality they are utterly doomed and will surely die poisoned by the garbage heap they have made of their home. It can’t be long now before they resort to eating each other for they have no scruples about abusing each other. It just hasn’t occurred to them yet. I think the worst aspect of it all is their widespread but insane belief that they can better themselves by putting others, usually minorities, down.” The ambassador shook its head and smiling at its wife and their now heavily pregnant husband continued, “Fortunately I have recently received news that we are doing much better recruiting elsewhere. Captain, take us home please. I suspect we could all use a good holiday.”

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

My Hunch

Daphne Xu's picture

See the end for my hunch.

Sorry, I can't kudo this story. The part about Earth is all too plausible, assuming humans don't cause an apocalypse first. I can also see them not wanting people as immigrants who've been brain-damaged as children by lead-poisoning from lead-based gasoline, or by being hit on the head as children, or from PTSD from being put through nightmare. But this goes beyond, with subtext that such people still should properly be full upstanding, upright citizens.

The society described is, on its surface, a libertarian paradise, but in reality an Orwellian dystopia. It's not even a matter of giving the government unlimited power to kill, and trusting it not to kill improperly. They're already killing improperly. Someone refuses to do his job executing (as in killing) his assignment. So you have been selected at random to execute him. So you, being a (surprisingly rare) full upstanding, upright citizen, refuse to kill him. Three more citizens have been or will be drafted to execute you, him, and the original victim.

At some point someone will come up with the brilliant idea that those who've ordered the killings have committed murder or attempted murder, along with a system-wide conspiracy to commit murder -- and attempt to commence the process to have them executed. The best result: the complaint is summarily dismissed.

One just might pose the question, why are they in such demand for immigrants? What's the life-expectancy of persons there? What is the most likely form of death? (It's pretty obvious.)

My hunch? This scenario was really intended to portray a dystopian society that views itself as utopian.

-- Daphne Xu

One woman's Utopia is another's Dystopia or vice versa

I just like playing with the way societies are set up. The story works without the penultimate paragraph, Daphne. The assumed subtext in your first paragraph is yours not mine, though I do hold people accountable for their actions not their justifications. A damaged killer or rapist is still a killer or a rapist. Despite the years I have lived in the UK, I am not a westerner as most understand the term. I’m from a society and culture that lives much closer to the edge between life and death, and I’ve been told time out of mind I’m a savage and a barbarian. I don’t mind that, because whilst it may well be true I regard all western societies as more savage and barbaric than mine.

From my point of view at its worst the aliens' society would be no worse than the US or the UK.

The official poverty rate in the US is 12.3 percent, based on the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2017 estimates. That year, an estimated 39.7 million Americans lived in poverty according to the official measure. According to supplemental poverty measure, the poverty rate was 13.9 percent. The US is a wealthy nation.

The SMC is an independent group of experts who have been working to improve the way we understand and measure poverty in the UK, which has been publishing estimates since 2018. They found that in 2017/18:

An estimated 14.3 million people are in poverty in the UK
8.3 million are working-age adults, 4.6 million are children, and 1.3 million are of pension age
Around 22% of people are in poverty, and 34% of children are
Just under half (49%) of those in poverty are in “persistent poverty” (people who would also have fallen below the poverty line in at least two of the last three years). This is as of 2016/17

Poverty kills folk who are forced to choose between food and fuel in winter. The UK death rate closely follows the mean temperature and it too like the US is a wealthy country.

I suspect all wealthy nations are similar.

You have taken the penultimate paragraph to places I didn't, and made assumptions concerning a number of things that I simply didn't concern myself with. That doesn't of course mean you are wrong, nor does it make you correct. Till the tale is written to that point we'll never know, and I don't think there is sufficient milage in the tale for me to go there. I'm more than happy for anyone else to do so, I just don't want the work ascribed to me.

Charles Tritten took Heidi in ‘Heidi grows up’ and ‘Heidi’s Children’ to places that Johanna Spyri never imagined in ‘Heidi’, but that was his work not hers. He may well have been faithful to her vision, but she didn’t go there.

The same is true of T.N. Murari’s book ‘The Imperial Agent’ (1989) which is a sequel to ‘Kim’ by Rudyard Kipling, to name but one other example. Not that I am saying I am of any of those four author’s stature as a writer.

Note added on 21/09/2020. I just read this all again and found a sentence in Daphne's comment I missed the significance of when I replied last time. By definition a full upstanding upright Halcionista would not refuse to perform their social and civic duty. Any individual who would so refuse is not a full upstanding upright Halcionista. The comment is using a view point that is clearly from Earth not Halcion.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen