Stuck in a Rut - Part 45

Printer-friendly version

Stuck in a Rut.
By Rosalie Redd

Casey Church is dealing with the usual things that any Fourteen year old girl has to deal with. That is if they are a girl in a world where girls aren’t born, they are transformed. Leaving her male life behind is difficult, and new threats are on the horizon.

Casey

Chapter 45

I woke up to the smell of waffles and leaped out of bed. It was October 9th, my birthday! I was officially 14, and I was excited. I hurried through my shower and got dressed quickly. I rushed into the kitchen and sat down at the table. DeShaun gave me a kiss on the cheek, one that Mom and Dad pretended not to notice.

Everyone smiled and broke out into a chorus of ‘Happy birthday’. I smiled and dove into the blueberry and chocolate chip waffles. My favorite.

Scarfing down my waffles, I hardly noticed when 3 boxes appeared on the table. “Your other presents will wait for the party this weekend, but for now you can open one from each of us.”, Dad explained.

“But Mom already gave me her jersey.”, I protested.

She smiled and stuck her tongue out at me. “That doesn’t count”, she said cheerfully.

I sighed and DeShaun pushed his package over to me. It was a small box. I unwrapped it, and looked at it. It was certainly a jewelry box. No doubt. I opened it and looked at it. There was a ring in it. I looked at him, confused.

“It’s a promise ring.”, he stated. “It shows you that I am committed to you. That I love you, and that eventually, I plan on putting two other rings on your finger.”

With that said, He took it out of the box, and slid it onto my left ring finger, as I broke out once again in the dreaded weepies. I give him a rather steamy kiss, and try to pretend Mom and Dad aren’t there.

I hear Dad clear his throat, and we break the kiss. I blush and open Dad’s gift next. it’s an envelope with a certificate in it the certificate reads ‘Northern Tigers Dojo, one year’s membership. Paid in full.’

“The classes are Tuesday and Thursday after school, and Saturday and Sunday Morning”, Dad stated. “You’ll be starting next Tuesday.”

Mom came over. “That brings me to my gift.”, She handed me a package that contained something flexible. It was some form of clothing, I guessed. I opened it up and there was an outfit comprised of black lycra shorts and matching sports bra.

“I bought you four of these, in various colors, for your lessons. The others are upstairs.” she stated.
I hugged Mom and Dad and reached for more of the waffles.

After finishing up, DeShaun and I walked to school. Mom had offered us a ride, but it was nice out. The leaves were turning and the autumn colors were reaching peak. We walked in and he led me to my locker. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and told him I’d see him for Home Ec.

Walking into History, I was pounced by the Dark One, as she wrapped me in hugs. “Happy birthday!”, she excitedly squealed. We went back to our desks, the twins were watching and whispering. Fuck them. It’s my birthday, and they can go to hell.

We sat and giggled as the rest of the class filed in. “I have a present for you, but it’s still not complete. I’ll be bringing it to the party.”, Luna said as she laughed. “However, I have caught wind of something that will be as good as a present. And it should happen any moment now.”

With that, the school intercom buzzed and Principal Lewis came on the loudspeaker. “Good Morning students. Before we read off the sports and activities schedule for the day, There is some news I’ll be passing along. After interviewing the student council, and doing a tally of the votes, we have discovered that 75 percent of the freshmen ballots for Homecoming Court were missing. The missing ballots have been located, and a recount was performed. DeShaun McAllister won the Freshmen Homecoming Prince title, after the recount. I would like to congratulate our actual winner of the Homecoming Princess title, Miss Casey Church. Additionally, Amanda Wilder and May Wilder please report to the Principal’s office at once.”

I sat there stunned, as everyone turned and looked my way. Suddenly the rest of the class (with a few exceptions that I noted for later reference) stood and gave me an ovation.

I watched Amy and May slink off, Amy giving me a glare briefly before leaving. After they left, class went back to normal. More discussion of Mengele, this time it was about his fleeing to South America.

When Lunch rolled around, I sat at the normal spot. Janie was out sick today, so it was just DeShaun and I. People came over every few minutes and congratulated me, and many suspected that the vote had been rigged, because they hadn’t voted for Amy. I had learned via the Dark Mistress of Cute that Amy and May had been sent home on a suspension. There was going to be a school board meeting as to possible further penalties.

When the well-wishers stopped coming by, I pulled my phone out, and called over to the Bond house.

Janie picked up, but sounded like death warmed over. “I’m sorry I got sick on your birthday. It sucks.”, she said between coughs.

“Never mind that Janie. You get well, I want my bestie at my party on Saturday, okay?”, I told her. “Now get plenty of sleep and drink lots of orange juice. Talk to you later!”

I hung up with her, and leaned against DeShaun. After lunch, he walked me to my locker and then to class. With Janie not there, I sat by myself and listened as Miss Petri talked about parthenogenesis. I went up to Miss Petri after class to get Janie’s homework, but she informed me that the Dark One had gotten it earlier. It seemed that Kitten was going to stop over there.

I got my homework done in Study Hall, no Janie meant that there was nobody to talk to. It was kind of a let-down that my birthday was so plain. I mean not including the outstanding news from first period.

Home Economics broke the boredom, as Mrs. Beverly had us baking and frosting cakes. The other students made random cakes, but When deShaun and My cake came out, he insisted on doing the decorating. Soon, there was a delicious looking German Chocolate cake sitting there. ( My favorite!!)
On the top he put some candles., lighting them, he turned to me and started singing ‘Happy Birthday’, soon, the rest of the class joined in, even Brad and the footballers participated. I blushed and thanked everyone. I blew out the candles, and the cake went into the refrigerator, for me to pick up after school.

Last class came, and I walked in to art class, and sat next to George. He was looking a little better, posture-wise. I looked closely at him, he was starting to show some signs of his change. Poor guy.

I turned to him, as we were both working with our modeling clay. “Georgie”, I said. “I’m having a birthday party on Saturday, would you like to come? Janie and my friends will be there. We are going to have cake and ice cream, watch movies, and have fun.”

Georgie looked at me. “I’m… not sure.”, He said. “I’m still having a lot of problems with anxiety. I’ll come if I can, but I can’t guarantee it.”

I nodded. “I hope to see you, but if you don’t come, I understand. If you do come, don’t feel obligated to get me anything. It’ll be good just having you there.”

With that said, I went back to my sculpting.

After class, I stopped at the Home Ec room and got my cake. I wrapped it up carefully in plastic wrap and walked home. I spotted the twins following me, and sped up. I made it through the door safe, but with nobody else home, I was slightly scared. I sat up in my room, the shades drawn. My homework was done, and I really had nothing else to do. Mom would be home after the volleyball team finished practice, and DeShaun had his practice as well. Dad was working on a case, but had promised to be home before it got too late. I called Janie, but it went to voicemail. She must be asleep.

Sighing, I hopped online and surfed the net for a bit. After I finished my webcomics and checking my usual sites, I glanced out the window again. Looking through the blinds, I could see Amy sitting under a tree across the street. It was clear someone was behind it, probably May.

Panicking, I pulled out my phone and hit speed dial. “Church, Lawson, and Banks. Mr. Church’s office.”, the receptionist said in neutral voice.

“Miss Webster, is my Dad in?”, I asked nervously.

“Oh, Casey! Happy birthday, by the way. Let me check. One second.”, she replied.

I was placed on hold for a few seconds, and then Dad picked up. “What’s up, Pumpkin?” HE asked in a concerned voice.

“Daddy, I’m scared. Today at school, they suspended the Wilder sisters for rigging the Homecoming vote. They followed me home, and I’m all alone here. I locked the house up, and turned on the alarm, but they are out front, watching the house from across the street. Please Daddy, I’m scared.”

“Calm down Pumpkin.”, Dad said in his ‘Dad will fix everything’ voice. “I’ll call your Aunt Maggie, and have her roll a squad through on patrol. If they are still there, they will shoo them off.”
“Thanks Daddy, I just felt so scared, and alone. Mom and DeShaun aren’t home yet. Janie is sick, I didn’t have anyone to call.”, I said, tears flowing down my face.

“I’ll finish up here and be home as soon as I can, Sweetheart, okay? I gotta go now, to call Maggie. Love you.”, he said.

“love you too Daddy.”. I said as I hung up.

I sat there for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only like 15 minutes. I heard the brief sounding of a police siren, and looked out the window to see an officer standing on the curb, talking to the twins. His partner was a little ways away, standing beside the squad car. I watched the scene as the sisters took off. The officer by the squad headed towards the house. I ran down the hall and flew down the stairs. When the doorbell rang, I looked through the peep-hole, and then opened the door.

“Ma’am, I’m officer Lusedt”, the tall man with the clean-shaven head stated. He looked like he could wrestle a bear, with how well he filled out his uniform. “The girls that were watching the house are gone. I gave them a loitering citation, and informed them that if they were caught snooping around again, they could be charged with stalking. Oh, and your Aunt Maggie told me to tell you that she’ll be here Saturday to see you. Have a good day.”

With that, the big, mountain of a man turned and walked back towards the squad car and got in, after his partner did likewise, they headed off at a leisurely pace. Still, I was afraid. I locked the door and laid low until DeShaun finally came home. When he arrived, I collapsed into his arms, and it was like a dam burst. The tears started to flow and flow, and didn’t stop, even after he brought me over to the couch and held me tight as we snuggled up there. After a while I stopped crying, and I must have fallen asleep.

~o~O~o~

I love reading your comments, questions, and Ideas. please feel free to share them.

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

stalking

glad the cops got involved

DogSig.png

It is funny (as in odd)

I find myself afraid as a woman in situations that I wouldn't have thought twice about before my transition.

Can't Help Thinking...

...that Amy and May must have been waiting for something that didn't happen. (An ally's arrival? Or DeShaun, so that their plan, whatever it was, could deal with both him and Casey?)

It's possible, though, that since Casey only assumed May was the one hidden behind the tree, that she might have left briefly and been replaced temporarily, if May had gone to get a weapon or something. Were they expecting to create a distraction so a third person hiding behind the house could break in -- or vice versa?

Both twins were present -- presumably with no one else in sight -- when the officers arrived, and Casey saw that they were the ones cited and told to leave. But the girls might have an accomplice: the person who stole -- but oddly, didn't destroy -- the dance ballots. (Way off the subject, but there's an anomaly there too: if there had been a plan to steal the votes, there'd have been no reason to deprive Casey and her allies of ballots, and good reason not to, since the subject of the vote could come up in student conversations and they'd realize that something was amiss.)

My initial thought was that Amy and May were planning to have someone innocuous ring the doorbell ("Candygram!," as per the old SNL skit) and then force their way in when the door opened. But if that were the plan they wouldn't have been visibly stalking her; knowing they were out there, Casey would never have opened the door for a stranger.

I guess they'd feel that there's something to be gained psychologically in ratcheting up Casey's anxiety level by stalking her, though it didn't work out well for them this time. But I really think there had to be something more.

(Jane's illness seems suspicious. She'd be a perfect accomplice, one for whom Casey would definitely open the door. But I can't see her willingly allying with Amy and May even if they assured her that she'd have DeShaun entirely to herself with Casey out of the picture. And I think, after all she's been through, that any attempt at coercing her would unhinge her completely.)

Eric

Why they were deprived ballots.

At the dance it was announced that the vote had been unanimous for DeShaun and Amy ( presumably because any ballot that didn't feature Amy's name on it was "missing"). The 'masterminds' (term used loosely) knew that Janie, DeShaun, Luna, and Casey would not have voted for Amy, thus they would have known that the election had been rigged. It was probably assumed by the ones that did it that other students wouldn't care enough to report the inconsistency. As for Janie being sick... As is often said about Freudian psychology: " sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"... meaning that sometimes things are just what they are at face value, with no hidden meaning.

Quit while ahead

Jamie Lee's picture

Since the Wilder sisters were suspended after the missing ballots were found, they couldn't have been dumb enough to keep them in May's locker, could they? But how did they get their hands on the ballots in the first place? Did someone make the mistake of trusting them to deliver them to the student council?

And where are their parents in all this? Have they encouraged the sisters to act as there are acting? Or have they been kept in the dark?

Amy and May have been suspended from school, and now the police have become involved. Are the two really that stupid not to stay out of any more trouble?

Do their parents know they've been suspended or has that been kept from them too?

Others have feelings too.