The Female of the Species is More Dangerous than the Male

Printer-friendly version

The day was hot, humid and oppressively heavy, it felt as if water could be squeezed out of it. The sky had an electric blue look and was almost alive with static, a thunderstorm of major proportions was brewing. Fully accoutered with her heavy apiarist’s suit, boots, gloves and veiled hat in the sweltering heat, she could feel the tiny usually invisible and unnoticeable hairs on her body standing up from the static despite the cloying damp that covered her body. Perspiration was dripping off the end of her nose, her thighs were sticking together and her upper arms were sticking to the sides of her chest. She was not having fun.

~o~O~o~

It was absolutely the best conditions possible for a heavy nectar flow to produce honey by the hundred weight, but the worst of all possible conditions to open up a hive. There were drones, large eyed, strong flying, stingless males, by the hundreds around just waiting for their chance to inseminate a virgin queen on her mating flight. Sadly that was what would kill the ones lucky enough to pass on their genes. The vast majority would be fed by the female workers all summer and unceremoniously threwn out of the hive to die in the autumn.

~o~O~o~

Watching a group of drones and wondering if she had missed some queen cells thus potentially allowing a swarm to emerge, she could hear the roaring of the workers, sterile females armed with a sting, in the over hot hive as others worked ceaselessly bringing in vast quantities of nectar, pollen, propolis and water. The fanners were at the front of the hive alighting board ventilating with their wings for all they were worth to prevent overheating of the wax combs and a complete meltdown of the colony. The smell of the honey, wax and propolis, a fragrant resin collected from trees as a sealant for the hive, was overpowering, intoxicating, as was the acrid smell of the bees’ anger pheromones.

~o~O~o~

She had known days ago when she’d killed the old queen she had to open them up on that day and no other. There is only a one day window to destroy unwanted queen cells, plus a day either side possibly but that’s chancing it even in cool weather, when the workers are raising emergency queen cells for a re-queening, but a queen of a different breeding is required. However, the weather hadn’t changed for days and wasn’t due to break for a fortnight. It had always had to be today.

~o~O~o~

Bees react very badly to static which disproportionately affects their small bodies and also to sweat, as well as perfume or after shave, which they just dislike. In consequence she rarely used cosmetics, fragrant bath products, body lotions or even hand cream.

~o~O~o~

Bee keeping was her living and it was hard enough under pleasant conditions, so the hive had to be re-queened, for the eggs laid by the old queen developed into bad tempered bees that jumped off the combs at her when she was inspecting them, stung with no provocation at all and followed any one who came within thirty yards of the hive for over quarter of a mile. They were dangerous to both livestock and humans alike. They made her life working with her other hives in the apiary unpleasant because she didn’t usually bother wearing gloves or a veil which was hot and sweaty and provoked the bees, but these bees necessitated her wearing the full kit when working with any of her bees in that apiary.

~o~O~o~

Taking her courage in her hands, she opened the hive. The roaring of the bees intensified and the air was solid and black with tens of thousands of bees boiling out all competing to land on her and sting. She managed to complete what she had to do, destroying the queen cells that were the progeny of the old queen, and donating the new queen cell, the daughter of one of her best and gentlest queens, but as she was closing up, after heaving a sigh of relief, she carelessly tore her veil open on the corner of the hive lid.

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ouch!

I once wore the thin white coveralls with nothing but shorts underneath and about fifty of the Damn things stung me through the thin white fabric.

There was nobody home but me, so I called my grandparents, then poison control. They said that if I could still talk to them, I would be ok.

I ended up swelling up all over, but was otherwise fine. I spent the night at my grandparents' place.

I'm glad I never had to deal with Africanized bees.

Bees

I love MY bees. Yesterday, it was a lovely day here, I went through ten colonies wearing a sundress and sandals, but, and it is a big but, I have been selecting (breeding) them for their docile behaviour for a long time. I wouldn't dream of looking at someone else's bees dressed thus. Most bee keepers select for honey yield. Mercifully I don't need the money that badly.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Apiculture...

is a really sweet avocation.

hee hee. I just realized that I have gone from A to Z. Apiculture to Zymurgy.

A to Z

I got chucked out of a family of zymergists. Not sure they truly were ever sober enough to know what they were doing. They're still drunk or dead from it and broke. I was broke too to start with, but became a STEM academic earning enough to throw money away on bees. Funny old world what?
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Apiculture and Zymurgy

Apiculture and Zymurgy can be mixed. I hear that mead is quite tasty if it's made correctly.

But anyhow, are you sure that they are zymurgists? Perhaps they consume the product without actually producing it. In fact, from your description, it would appear that they consume too much to actually do a good job at brewing it.

I do admire anyone who puts the work and brainpower into STEM. It is, after all, what has brought us up from chucking spears at mammoths and running from smilodons.

Apiculture and Zymurgy

A friend rinses my cappings and other sticky mess (bottom of settling tanks and extractor &c.) in cold water and produces mead. I get the rinsed cappings back to melt and produce foundation with, also a demijohn of the product! A couple of years ago I treated myself to a small motorised foundation roller. I should have bought one years ago.

I know they still make it, as to quality I have no idea. I left before I was allowed to touch the stuff, even folk of their ilk can do something good for you once in a while. I know one them used to freeze the water out of a brew (stick it in a freezer and fish out the ice, like a primitive cryogenic distillation process) to produce a very high strength alcohol. He's probably blind by now if not mad because the process concentrates the fusel oils too, and probably the heads as well, but I'm not certain about the latter. The fusel oils contain the tail fraction composed of higher alcohols and other nasties that conventional distillation processes leave behind and the heads are mostly methanol - meths! Not the sort of thing to be experimenting with without some good analytical equipment, definitely a don't try this at home children thing.
Now I've just had an idea for the really adventurous zymurgist. Brew to what? 10-12% (easy fast), cryogenic distil to remove most of the water quickly, cheaply leaving a much smaller volume to deal with using a conventional fractional distillation technique.) Of course the last stage would need care as to a heat source (forget naked flames) since most of the water has gone and what remains will be mostly ethanol. I don't know about you but I'll just wait till I go out and have a conventional, safe and pleasant glass of whatever I fancy at the time from over the bar.

A lot of people in STEM are actually like me, leaves blown down the gutter of life, by which I mean we never really made any career choices. We went for the easy way out. In my case it was all I was any good at, so not too much credit is due. If I were a bit bigger (a lot bigger) I wouldn't have minded having a go at chucking a spear or two at mammoth or similar types, though those big cats could probably run faster than me.
Regards,
Eolwaen .

Eolwaen

Bees as large as sheep Dogs.

I'm following a story where the bees are aggressive and as large as sheep Dogs. Reading this gave me chills.

Nice

Gwen