A Special Place

Printer-friendly version

The place marked ‘Windmill field’ on the deeds to my holding is a special place to me. Being there conjures visions of what the area was like before Henry VIII’s dissolution of the nearby Abbeytown abbey going on for four hundred years ago. My property was the abbey’s mill.

The tops of the mill footings protrude from the ground. Huge granite cobbles, some of which weigh more than a ton, that were all brought by horse and cart from the shore at Skinburness a couple of miles away. After the mill was demolished, over the centuries wind blown dust became a foot of sod covered topsoil which covered the cobbled yard around the mill, but Samson and Goliath, my two huge and hugely powerful Large Black boars, have effortlessly turned it over.

The boars are housed in a pig arc in the field, free to come and go as they please and are continually exposing things long buried and forgotten. I have a small collection of artefacts that I grandly, perhaps grandiosely, refer to as the museum. The mill site is on a small knoll on the Solway plain, and the wind is never totally absent. Even on a calm day like this day it’s whistling through the odd slower growing section in the mostly solid looking looking hedges that I planted in foot and mouth year nearly twenty years ago.

The sloes are blossoming, and there is an elusive, almost tasteable, perfume on the air from their creamy white, frothy flowers. It’s impossible to remain angry or hurt for long when walking there. It’s equally impossible to ignore the boars who expect to be petted because they have been since they could be picked up which isn’t so long ago. If I try to ignore them they lean against me for a rub. Since I’m eight stone and the boys are going on sixty stone each the result is inevitable: they get petted.

I enjoy walking around Windmill field looking for new things that the boars turn up, and on the downwind side of the field the February breeze blows my hair across my face, yet despite the warmth of the sun on my face it’s cool. The acrid smell and taste on the air, at odds with the floral perfume, is that of the testosterone supercharged boars, who can smell the sow in heat in a nearby field, and it prickles the back of the nose and throat. The sow is of course why the boars are at the far side of the field and ignoring me.

It’s a gentle half mile walk around the field, as long as one avoids the most recent excesses of the boars’ delvings for grubs and roots, and I walk it regularly. This day, as I round the far corner of the field, the four wind turbines start up. There was a lot of opposition to them, but their site is adjacent to me and owned by a neighbour I get on with. I came here for peace and solitude, so I refused to get involved.

Mine is the nearest property to the turbines, and, despite all the acrimony and scare stories about how they would destroy my quality of life, they’ve never been an issue to me. The nay sayers who kept harrassing me to sign their petition because, “You’re the nearest property, so it will be more significant when you sign,” were more of a nuisance than the turbines have ever been.

Normally I never see the nay sayers and I see my neighbour near enough every day, so there wasn’t a great deal of thought required. No matter what you do or don’t do you’ll upset some one, so the best thing to do is refuse to discuss the matter. You’ll still upset people, but you won’t be allowing them to waste the time you could be enjoying your surroundings and their absence.

The rhythmically doppler shifted whooshing sound of the turbine blades is slightly out of synchronisation with the rotation of the three bladed turbines because it takes a couple of seconds for the sound to reach me, but it’s quieter than the traffic a mile away, and it’s only when they catch the sun, which is rare, that their shadows or reflections are noticeable. This day, I can see the shadows sweeping swiftly across the ground as the blades point downwards to slow as they reach the top. Maybe I’ll walk round once more, for there’s something very soothing about the turbines.

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Turbines

They are interesting pieces of engineering. They contain a gear box with a differential and a motor that keeps them synchronised with the grid. It's interesting to see a field of then all turning in perfect sync. And, indeed, they have to be synchronized down to the millisecond or better -- quite a feat for such a large machine that has such a widely varying and uncontrollable input.

Turbines

Cumbria is turbine county, and on a good day I can see Robin Rigg wind farm in the Solway. Only four near us but they came into Silloth Harbour from Holland. They had to alter some of the roads to allow them to travel to the site. The towers were in small (relatively) rings but the blades (3 per turbine) were in one piece and travelled with a bogey at the far end and the blade tip projecting over the heavy haulage truck's cab by a long way. I'm told by locals that it was the most exciting thing that had happened since the dock was opened in 1859. The turnout of tourists was colossal, must have been all of two hundred folk there! The 4 Hellrigg structures are 80 metres high and 82 in diameter and almost silent. They look tiny but can be seen from a long way on the Solway plain. It's only when you get closer than the road approaches that you realise just how big they are. But they are interesting. They are on the land of a neighbour and I watched with interest as they were assembled and chatted with the engineers, with a group of a dozen or so of which maybe eight were technically educated women. It's not all dairy cattle, pigs and bees round here!
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Turbines

There are a bunch here in Michigan, too. Unfortunately, we don't have the wind that some places have -- at least, according to a map that I saw.

I'm sure that they would work better if they were placed out in the Great Lakes. In fact, a few years ago, we did see a vessel with the four poles sticking way up that I later found are used to place things on the ocean floor or, in this case, the lake bed. Still, nobody saw fit to put any out there. There are a bunch near Ludington (where I saw the vessel,) but none out in the water. Of course, the fact that the lakes freeze over each year makes for some engineering challenges. Especially when it starts to melt and the wind blows several hundreds of square miles of ice sheet.

Wind turbines

Robin Rigg wind farm is in the Solway esturay which runs east to west with Scotland to the north and England to the south. The turbines are on the Scottish side. Interestingly the Solway was just about fished out for commercial fishing, but there is an exclusion zone round the wind farm the boats may not enter. It's a safe haven for fish to breed and it has just about restored the fish stocks to what they were. What's ironic is that the fishermen protested about the turbines at the planning stage saying the exclusion zone would destroy their living. In a previous life (a long time ago) I did mathematical modelling of exploited wildlife systems for a living. I worked for a couple of years on models of fish and potable water from the Great lakes. I do hope they've stopped dumping old cars there because if not the out look was poor.then. I have no idea what it is now.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Great Lakes

Lake Erie was considered to be dead when I was a kid in the sixties. I doubt if it was really totally dead, since that would have caused more damage than actually occurred. Also, it bounced back rather quickly.

We bought a sailboat in the mid seventies. A Vivacity, as a matter of fact -- a British twin keeled boat that was designed to rest upright on its keels if if the tide went out too quickly. Anyhow, we watched as the lake got cleaner and cleaner. Now, quite a few people fish Walleye and the like out of it.

I've never heard of anyone dumping cars into the lakes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened back then. Nowadays, you will occasionally hear of someone driving on the ice and breaking through. Most insurance companies don't cover that kind of stupidity, and the Department of Natural Resources adds insult to the injury by fining them for polluting the water.

America was probably the first country to get serious about pollution. Things were cleaning up quite well when I joined the army in 1979. When I got stationed in Germany, the Frankfurt air was rather polluted. And, those who bought cars in Germany couldn't ship them home unless they had pollution control devices added.

Now, the Great Lakes are very clean. At least, the four that I have swam and boated in are clean. Lake Ontario probably is, too, but I haven't been there, and haven't heard one way or the other.

The Great Lakes

I'm pleased to hear water quality is getting better. The concern years ago was that one of the lakes, I can't recall which, was deep and the bottom was ridged. The ridges, for lack of a better term, ran across the direction of water flow. I was said that whilst the surface stratum of water changed, renewed, or became cleaner if inflow was clean, the lower levels would take millenia to become clean again because water movement at depth was so insignificant. It was believed by a sizeable proportion of the scientific community, but not all by any means, it would never do so and was already a lost cause. Man had finally done something mother nature could never fix. Never is a long time to mother nature and I haven't kept up with events. I did hear may twenty years ago that some one was talking about magnet fishing for cars in the Great Lakes because the scrap value made it viable. I've no idea whether it was done, but it's good to hear they are in better health because that's a significant proportion of the world's fresh water.
Regards'
Eolwaen

Eolwaen