Cynthia and the Wonderful Corrections - Prologue

Printer-friendly version

Cynthia and the Wonderful Corrections - Prologue

By Portia Bennett

 
Introduction: This story is the fourth and final story in a series within a series. The overall series is the “Cynthia Chronicles”. This story is directly connected to “Simoné and the Second Time Around”, “Marti and the Doppelganger”, and Marti and the Doppelganger – a Follow Up”. Several of the stories in the Cynthia Chronicles left some unanswered questions. In “Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling” two of the antagonists are regressed to childhood. Now we will learn what happened to them. In “Randi and the College Professor” Randi and Frank Deere adopt Betty, a bit of a rogue witch. Betty was regressed to early childhood, but she kept her powers. As it turns out, Betty was a real blessing. We also learn a bit more about Cindy’s first born who is the first new wizard in probably close to a thousand years. Then there is a question that has been floated about. What about death?

We will briefly go back to the day Bobbie Anderson won the Master’s. This episode was extracted from “Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling.” The main story will pick up from that point.

 


This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Prologue

The last few years have been difficult, fulfilling, and extremely busy for Cindy and Bobbie. They couldn’t be happier. What makes it more interesting is there are always complications. As was said before and will be said again, The Wizard did little to make womanhood and motherhood any easier than it might have been for any other woman. We need to go back to about a year after Bobbie Anderson performed the earth shaking feat of winning the Masters Golf Tournament in Augusta, Georgia. Not only did she win one of the holiest of holies in golf, she proceeded to win the (British) Open the following year. It hadn’t been even close. She had led the tournament from the first through the 72nd hole; leading by five strokes at the finish. Bobbie Anderson retired from professional golf immediately afterwards. She had made her point.

There was quite a celebration after her victory. As was reported on BBC, there were large quantities of stilton cheese and port consumed at the private victory party afterwards. Some thought it strange that a golfer of her skills and achievements would retire at the height of her career; however, Bobbie Anderson had other goals in mind. She and her best friend Cindy Brewer were going to be counselors and physicians whose main goal was to protect and help the transgender reach their goals.

It was a long process for both Bobbie and Cindy. Cindy was in Medical School and Bobbie was starting to work on her Doctorate in Psychology. There was also this other problem. Perhaps we need to go back to that night after Bobbie had triumphed in Augusta.

You might remember that Bobbie’s ultimate victory was almost thwarted by James Campion, the defending champion, and his sister who just happened to be a witch. They had magically influenced the game through the first nine holes on the final day. They were found out, and the magical efforts to influence the game were neutralized over the last nine holes. After the Champion’s Dinner, much of the group of celebrants remained. Let’s pick up that evening just as things began to get interesting. The only people left are the magic and their friends and relatives. Justice is about to be served.


After the Masters

The dinner in the Trophy Room that night was fabulous. The liquor flowed, but Bobbie avoided it. She could have imbibed and eliminated the alcohol with a simple spell, but she didn’t want anyone thinking she would jeopardize her baby. About halfway through dinner, she excused herself to go to the ladies’ room. As she turned the corner towards the restroom, she almost ran into a man dressed in white; in fact he was a caddy, in fact he was Jim Campion’s caddy.

“What the hell are you doing here? You’re not allowed in this building, and by the way, I don’t appreciate what you did out there. I don’t know who you are, but magic has no place on the golf course.”

“Shush, it’s me. Oh bother, I forgot you’re not as good as Cindy in seeing through my disguises.” The face suddenly shifted.

“Your Wisdom! What …?”

“Stick around after dinner. There will be a meeting in the Trophy Room. It’s very important, and it’s all been arranged. You and Andy stay there. It will all become very apparent in a little while what’s going on. I think you will enjoy it.”

“Things are happening,” Bobbie whispered into Andy’s ear when she sat down. “There’s going to be a big meeting here after dinner.”

Most of the members of the club disappeared after dessert. The staff cleared the tables and took the remaining serving items away. There are no cooking facilities in the clubhouse. Everything was prepared in another building, as was cleaning the dishes and utensils.

Two of the club members and their wives remained. Bobbie hadn’t been able to mingle too much before dinner. They had to go back to the hotel and get dressed for dinner, and were rather rushed when they returned. It wasn’t something that Bobbie had really expected, but Cindy had somehow found a beautiful cocktail dress for her that was a bit more formal than the one she had worn to the dinner earlier in the week.

The two members and their wives approached as soon as the help had left. Bobbie almost collapsed in shock as the two wives removed their shields. They were witches!

“Dear Bobbie, you had no idea, did you? We are so proud of you and what you have done. So many young witches use magic as a crutch, but you never succumbed once. You are a credit to the world of magic, not like some others we’ve come across lately.

“The room is protected now, so we can talk. His wisdom and the others will be here in a while. I understand that your family, Cindy’s family and Charli’s family will be joining us in a minute, too. We also have some special guests. Don’t be too shocked when you see them.”

The Lewis’s, Schmedlaps, and Brewers came in a few minutes later. For the men it was like entering Valhalla. There were not too many times that non-members could enter these hallowed grounds. The neat thing for them was that they would now be able to play there as Bobbie’s guests.

Pricilla and Dorothy, the two witches, did a little magical furniture arranging. There was a table with two chairs at one end of the room. A few feet to either side of that were two tables with single chairs. The rest of the tables and chairs were arranged to face the table with two chairs.

Pricilla took the floor. “I am Pricilla Davis, and I am President of the Greater Georgia Coven. His Wisdom and I will be presiding over the proceedings tonight. I think you are all aware that when it comes to serious matters involving both the non-magic and magic worlds, that the magic world will take precedence. We have had a serious breach of magic law this week, and we now know it reaches back for many years. We will hear the case tonight and pass judgement. As much as possible, the decisions we come to tonight will not be allowed to affect the non-magic world. I think it’s time we got started.

“Please bring in the defendants.”

The door opened and Jim Campion, still dressed in his golf clothes entered, followed by his caddy. Of course, it was actually The Wizard. Campion was obviously under some sort of magic control. His eyes darted around, but he seemed powerless to do anything.

The figure of the caddy suddenly shifted, and The Wizard they all knew and loved appeared.

“Sit right there at that table, Mr. Campion,” The Wizard said, while indicating the table with two chairs.

While Campion was sitting, the door opened again, and a blonde male entered. Following him was Archie Chambers, the greenside interviewer whom Bobbie and Andy had come to respect very much. There were several gasps from the group and an “Oh, my God!” from Bobbie.

“Sorry about being late, Your Wisdom. I had to come in a laundry truck. Wow, I haven’t been here in years.”

“Glad you could make it, Jack. You, too, Archie.

“Randi, do you have Mr. Baldwin?”

“Yes, Your Wisdom.”

“Please bring him up here.”

Randi came forward and placed a small green block on the floor. She stepped back and motioned at the block. The block suddenly started to expand, becoming a portable toilet. They could hear a commotion from within that included the sound of toilet paper being pulled off a roll. Finally, whatever was being accomplished inside was finished. The bolt slid back and the door opened. Jimmy Baldwin stepped out and looked around. There was a look of sheer terror spreading across his face.

“Don’t try anything Jimmy, or should I say, Margot. Just get rid of the disguise and sit next to your brother.” The Wizard indicated the chair next to Jim Campion. A tall, slender woman wearing slacks and blouse slowly moved to the empty chair.

Randi collapsed the port-a-john, and it disappeared.

“As you know, there is no reason to lie, because about ten people in here will know whether you are telling the truth or not.

“Mr. Campion,” The Wizard asked, “how many tournaments did you win on the PGA tour prior to your sister becoming your caddy?”

“Er, none.”

“And, of the twenty-five you’ve won since, how many did you win without your sister’s help?”

“Er, none.”

“So you stole twenty-five tournaments from deserving winners. Tournaments they will never have the pleasure of knowing they should have won.”

“Yes.”

“Were there any tournaments you played in since your sister became your caddy, that you didn’t use magic to increase your position in the final standings?”

“A few, I’m not really sure.”

“Miss Campion, on the front nine today, how many of your brother’s putts did you affect?”

“I believe it was three. I made two go into the hole, and I prevented one from going off the green.”

“And, how many of Bobbie Anderson’s putts did you prevent from going into the hole.”

“It was three.”

“Did you push her and make her miss the drive on hole number seven?”

“Yes sir.”

“Did you move the ball that was sitting on the pine straw on the same hole?”

“Yes sir.”

“By my count, you cost Bobbie Anderson at least five strokes on the front nine. You took from her the chance of one of the best finishing rounds in Masters history. Are you proud of what happened?”

“Yes sir, Bobbie Anderson is a witch. She used her powers to win all those tournaments. What’s wrong with me helping my brother? That woman has no right winning those tournaments.”

“So, you’re the one who sent the threatening letters?” The Wizard asked.

“Yes.”

The Wizard turned to Bobbie. “Mrs. Anderson, have you ever cheated at golf, or any other sport for that matter. The truth telling applies to you and anyone else in this room.”

“No, Your Wisdom, what would be the point? I wouldn’t be able to look at myself in the mirror. Golf is a game of honor. There’s no place for cheats.”

“She had to have cheated. No one is that good.”

“I beg to differ with you. The man sitting in the back of this room won over 80 tournaments on the regular PGA tour. He never cheated. He loved the game too much.”

Jim Campion looked at the figure sitting at the rear. “What sort of bull shit is this? He died years ago.”

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I’m alive and well, as is my wife, who happens to be a witch. You just wouldn’t recognize us out in the world today. My wife and I do different things now. Outside of our family and the world of magic, the world thinks we are dead, but we will be around for a long, long time. There are folks who need help, and we are doing that.

“As far as Bobbie Anderson is concerned, she wins because she works hard and is a dammed good golfer. I would have loved to play with or against her.” He turned to Bobbie. “Maybe we can play a round or two someday. I think I would enjoy it.”

The Wizard looked at Jim and Margot Campion. “So, what are we going to do with you? What you have done, unfortunately, can’t be changed. History will record that you had those victories.

“This is harsh, but this is the way it will be. If there is anyone who wishes to come to your defense, they may at any time, but I think we are in accord with this.

“First of all, we have abuse of magic. Had what was being done been discovered, it could have caused irreparable harm throughout the magic world. Your and your brother’s selfish use of magic could have destroyed what the magic world has been trying to correct for a thousand years.

“There are several other witches playing in professional sports who have never succumbed to cheating. What you did could have destroyed professional sports if the word got out about witchcraft. No one would have been above suspicion.

“Margot Campion, your magic powers are removed as of now.”

“Noooo!”

“Since you seem to want to disguise yourself as a man, we will oblige you and make that permanent.

“James Campion, you will never compete in sports at the professional level again. Since you seem to despise Bobbie Anderson’s efforts to compete as a woman, it is only fair that you learn what it’s like to be a woman in a man’s world. Maybe someday you will consider it a blessing. I would, and I know the women in this room do.

“As far as the non-magic world is concerned, you and your sister will die next week on a charity mission to Indonesia. Of course, no one will really die, but as far as the world is concerned, you will no longer exist.

“Is everyone in accord so far?”

The famous golfer in the rear of the room responded. “I am really disturbed that his record will remain intact. Isn’t there anything we can do about it?”

“We could, but it would be extremely disruptive. We would have to go back more than five years and revise too much history. The effects of their cheating have just gone too deep and too far. I think we can make sure that he never gets into the Golf Hall of Fame, though.

“Margot Campion, you and your brother will get another chance; however, your skills will be in different areas than they are now. Your magic gene has been replaced with a generic gene that has no known purpose, one that most non-magical people have. One of your ‘X’ chromosomes is now being converted to a ‘Y’ chromosome.”

Margot’s shape began to morph into that of a young man. She was powerless to say anything, but the horror to her of what was happening was easy to read. He started to shrink, and within a few minutes had become an infant child only a few months old. He was wrapped in a blanket, and started to cry. Cindy picked him up and gently rocked him. The infant gradually quieted.

Jim Campion’s change was a bit more dramatic. He was changed quickly into a rather voluptuous young woman. There was no question in anyone’s mind that he knew exactly what was happening. His hands rose to his large breasts and measured their heft and softness. His hair became a wavy dark brown. He would be considered a horny young man’s wet dream by many. He had become a very attractive young woman. From that point her physical age quickly regressed. It went slowly enough that there was no question she knew what was happening. Soon she was an infant the same age as the other baby. She started to cry. Charli comforted her as Cindy comforted the other infant.

“We have several options on what to do at this point;” The Wizard explained, “however, I think for their benefit it would be best if we kept track of their upbringing.

“Bob and Hilda, do you feel up to raising two more children? After all, you will be grandparents in just a few months.

“There is always room in our home and hearts for more children. We would be glad to take them.”

“That is so good of you,” The Wizard said. “We will have all the paperwork for the adoption completed shortly.

“Does anyone have any questions before we relax and enjoy the rest of the evening?”

“I have all sorts of questions, and I’m beginning to wonder what has been going on over the years,” Bobbie said with a tone that indicated she was a bit disturbed.

“Have I been watched all this time by the magic world? I mean, what is Archie doing here? He’s not magic, but he obviously knows about me and the rest of us.”

“Bobbie, I apologize for not telling you I knew. Remember when you met my wife a few years ago? You had just won your twentieth major on the LPGA. She realized you were magic right away. She also told me that she knew you never used magic on the golf course. As far as I was concerned, my admiration of what you were doing went up many-fold. I would have told you someday, but we realized that if you knew non-magic people knew of your magic abilities, you might feel you were being spied on and under suspicion. That wouldn’t be fair to you.”

“Archie, you have been a friend to Andy and me for years. You have always been someone we could respect not only as an interviewer, but as a golfer.

“So, your wife is magic. It’s a shame that the Campions never understood what your wife did, or rather, didn’t do. With the raw talent Campion had, he might have been a good golfer on his own with the right instruction.

“Seeing what happened here with the port-a-john, I guess you pulled off the switch between nine and ten when I was inside one.

“Randi, that was a good trick. So, as far as Margot was concerned, she thought she was still between nine and ten when she stepped out of the toilet. The look on her face when she realized what had happened was priceless.

“Now I understand what the arguments were about, Your Wisdom. You weren’t affecting his putts like Margot had done on the front nine.”

“Actually, I pushed his last putt into the hole on eighteen. There was no reason to make his demise any worse than it already was.

“I reviewed the probability charts, and there is no question you would have won had they not messed with your game. It would have been very close, though. When you knew what he was doing, you didn’t let it get you down. You probably played better on the back nine because of it.”

“So, everyone but me knew that the switch had been made.”

“That’s right,” Cindy said as she gently rocked the little bundle in her arms. “It was so nice not having to worry about Margot and just watch you play golf. You were so determined to beat that bastard fairly.”

“It was tough for me,” Andy added. “I had to keep you calmed down and focused, but I couldn’t let you know that we had taken his magic away.”

The party went on for a while longer. Bobbie had chills as she, and probably the greatest golfer ever talked about her victory and their past tournaments. His wife showed up a bit later, as did Archie Chambers’ wife. All in all, it was a great day.

***

Now we will pick up things from shortly after Bobbie Anderson retires from golf and starts on her Doctorate of Psychology. She and Cindy are new parents and enjoying it very much. However, there is a problem. Don’s parents can no longer take care of the two infants. Hilda’s age is catching up to her. Don and Cindy adopt Martin and Joann.

up
52 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I’m looking forward to the rest of this.

gillian1968's picture

I had forgotten some of the details from the first story.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Gillian Cairns

Thank you

littlerocksilver's picture

I will tie up a bunch of loose ends.

Portia