Music School Chapter 20

Printer-friendly version

Lindsey couldn’t believe how red she got after performing for the car lot. Her mother had sprayed her body with solarcaine, so the pain wasn’t that bad. As she was packing up her sheet music and her saxophone.

“Ms. Weathers, can I speak to you, before you leave please?” Director Rattle has been keeping his eyes and ears on Lindsey since she joined the orchestra.

He also has gone to some of the gigs her band had done. The piece of music she composed for extra credit, was very good. He has been thinking, that Lindsey would make a good conductor and was willing to take her under his wing and teach her.

“Sure, Mr. Rattle.” Lindsey finishes putting her saxophone away.

She walks over towards Director Rattle and wonders what she did wrong. She practiced the piece they were going to perform several times. She knew it couldn’t be her playing.

“Did I do something wrong, Mr. Rattle?” Lindsey was nervous as she stood and waited for Mr. rattle to answer her.

“Oh, you’re not in trouble, Ms. Weathers. I’ve been watching and listening to you. The piece you wrote for extra credit was really good. You have talent when it comes to music. What I want to know, is what are your plans after you graduated from High school and with your band?” Director Rattle watches Lindsey facial expression.

“Well, I haven’t really thought about it, but I was hoping to continue with my band after I graduate and maybe continue my musical education. I was thinking about going to one of the colleges that specialize in musical degrees.” Lindsey hadn’t started looking at what colleges she wanted to go too.

She wanted to stay in the band, but also get a degree in music. She loved music and couldn’t think of doing anything else.

“How would you like to learn, how to conduct an orchestra?”

“I think that would be neat. I’ve never thought about it before.” Lindsey hadn’t considered being a conductor.

“Well, I think you would enjoy conducting others and making the music flow for others to enjoy? I can already see how passionate music is to you. The way you play, and how passionate you are when you perform in front of people. Those qualities are traits the best conductors possess.”

“And you think I would make a good conductor?” Lindsey watches Director Rattle’s eyes.

“Yes, how about this. I’ll take you on as my assistant and let you see if you would like it or not. If after a month you don’t like being my assistant, you can call it quits.” Director Rattle figures Lindsey would be able to see if being a conductor would suit her.

“Okay, when would you like for me to start?” Lindsey was game and wouldn’t mind learning to be a conductor.

“Let’s get you started next week. I have to get permission from the Director of the school to allow you.”

“That’s fine and thank you Mr. Rattle for the opportunity.” A big smile appears on Lindsey’s face.

“Don’t thank me yet. I can be a very demanding taskmaster. I’ll call you once everything is arranged. Now, go and enjoy the rest of the evening.” Mr. Rattle returns the smile.

Lindsey waves good-bye and head outside to her ride. Her mother and father were handling an open house, so she asked Krist to come and pick her up. She steps outside and spots Krist’s custom mustang he and his father built from the ground up.

The thing was faster than any Shelby Mustang ever built and was painted brunt red color. Krist had several people in the local muscle club challenge him to a street race and lose.

“Thanks for picking me up, Krist.” Lindsey walks over towards his car.

“No problem. I was at a club meeting and didn’t mind coming to pick you up.” Krist was a member of a custom car club. He had been a member of the local muscle car club, but he got tired of being challenged all the time. So, he quit and joined the custom car club.

“Well, since you were such a nice gentleman. Can we go by a Taco Bell and I'll buy you dinner, please?” Lindsey gives him her puppy dog eye look.

“Alright, cut it with the puppy dog eyes.” Krist was a sucker for a pretty face.

He goes through the drive-thru and let Lindsey place her order and an order for Krist. Once they have their order. He drives her home.

“Come on in and stay for a while.” Lindsey exists form the car.

“Right behind you.” Krist follows Lindsey into her house.

“You know, this is the first time I have been in your place.” Krist looks around the place.

It was neat and tidy. He saw pictures of Lindsey’s adopted mother and some of the places they went. A smile appears on his face when he notices a picture of Lindsey being surrounded by a crashing wave.

“Where was this picture taken?” Krist points towards the one he was looking at.

“That’s was taken down in Kill Devil’s hill. My mother rented a cottage for a week and I spent most of my days down at the beach. I also went to Jockey Ridge and the Wright Brother’s memorial that week.” Lindsey enjoyed that trip with her mother.

Krist sits down with Lindsey on the sofa and eats the meal Lindsey bought for him. He normally didn’t spend this much time with her, unless they were traveling.

“How was your club meeting?”

“It was fine. We’ve been invited by another club for a get-together.” Krist couldn’t wait to go.

After dinner, Lindsey shows Krist where she practices her music and writes the music she puts together for the band. The saxophone she bought at the yard sale was polished and clean. She had that in her practice room.

The cello she bought and paid to restored was shipped to the Smithsonian to be verified and documented. The person who restored it did an exact job on it and said it was an original. However, Lindsey was told by her mother to have the Smithsonian verify it and have papers drawn up proving it.

“Well, I need to leave Lindsey. You take care and lock-up behind me.” Krist starts heading towards the front door.

Lindsey follows behind Krist and locks the front door once he leaves. She arms the security system, before stripping out of her clothes and hopping into the shower.

up
193 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Its good the conductor

Samantha Heart's picture

Has taken an intrest in her. I think she would be a GREAT conductor as her knowledge of music, tone, sound everything about it just flows through her. PERFECT for a conductor. As for Krist its good he's getting to know a bit more about Lindsay. Especially for a band member. He left at the perfect time so nothing could happen between them that they might regret latter on.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

To me the question is,

is she willing to stop playing and composing music? She can only do so many things in a day.

Faster?

"The thing was faster than any Shelby Mustang ever built . . . "

You must be talking about the Ford-made "Shelby" Mustangs. Having firsthand experience with a '67 Shelby GT-500 I can tell you that my brother's wiped up the track everytime he took it to the drags. The ones Ford made were pale imitations of the real deal.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin