Lifeline 13

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 13
The ‘pernackity’ turned out to be a sort of hotpot, sliced potatoes in a rich gravy; the ‘stotty’ was a flat, round piece of bread. In later years, the closest equivalent I could find was ciabatta. It had the same dense texture and weight to it, and I was profoundly disappointed to discover that many ‘stotties’ sold in chain stores were actually just a flatter version of sliced white bread.

We ate our free meal in silence, and the food was very good indeed. The air of tension seemed to have been swept away with the wind along the beach and the bounce of flat stones as little waves broke in their hurry to meet the shore. That night, the tent rocked in the endless wind from the marram and the sand, and once more I lay between two people I finally understood loved me.

Lorraine cut my stitches the next morning, and we celebrated with a proper fry-up, Graham delivering a half-dozen fresh eggs to enrich it. The days at his farm were few in number, but the time stretched endlessly, delightfully, till the morning we struck our tent, all tractors fettled and our food stocks replenished with more stotty and an abundance of other food. I was rather embarrassed by the reaction Graham showed when we left, as he hugged me closely.

It was hours later, as we headed northwards on the A1, that I asked myself how much of my discomfort at his attention was caused by the memory of Charlie. Don had always been urgent in his attentions, in such a hurry to get it done, finished, while Charlie had lingered, stayed in me, kissed the back of my neck.

How on Earth could I tell simple affection from whatever it was that could describe those two utter bastards?

I tried to put those thoughts away as we drove, the trip broken by visits to a couple of castles, one romantically ruined and the other huge and imposing. Both adults were in a mood as breezy as the air outside the van, jokes flying back and forth along with smiles.

“Might have a treat for you in a bit, duck!”

Lorraine snorted, shaking her head.

“I checked the tide tables back at Graham’s, love. Not a chance just now”

I looked from one to the other before asking the obvious question.

“Not a chance for what, Loz?”

“Lindisfarne, love. It’s an island, just over there. There’s a causeway, but when the tide comes in it gets cut off. They have a market there every now and again, more of a bring-and-buy thing, to be honest. We drop in when we can. Magical place, is that”

Ken nodded
“As long as you don’t mention the bacon beast of the curly-tailed animal”

“Eh?”

So, so eloquent, Deborah.

“Pigs, Deb. They say it’s unlucky to say that word on the island, so they have all sorts of euphemisms for them”

“Oh! Like, um, oinkers?”

“Yup! Or it might be squealers. Anyway, round here they call pigs ‘gissies’. Old Norse word”

“Why Norse?”

That led to a sort of lecture, engaging and enlightening, but still a lecture, on the history we were driving through, and Ken talked seamlessly and with real passion as we crossed the Tweed and rumbled around west of Berwick, which stopped his recitation in mid-flow.

“Loz?”

“Ken?”

“Get it, duck? I mean, where we are right now?”

“Oh! Right! Deb, love, where we met, that showground. The name of the road past it is Berwick Road! We’ve come full bloody circle, sort of”

Something else hit me just then, and I found myself almost helpless with laughter for a minute, until I could get the words out.

“Not just that, is it? Ken says about pigs and that island, and that path I ducked down was called Pig Trough!”

More laughter from the two of them, before Lorraine turned a little more serious.

“You OK, love? I think chatterbox there was doing all the talking because you looked a bit out of sorts. What was up?”

I shook my head, wanting to bury it all once more.

“Just memories, Loz. Bad ones”

“Then let’s make some better ones, love. Ken?”

“Aye?”

“Getting towards dinner time. You thinking what I am?”

“Already looking for the road, duck! Hang on… Deb? This is the border coming up…welcome to Scotland, girl!”

Nothing like the films would have shown, and everything looked just the same on the Scottish side as it had in Northumberland, but it was a new country for me. We stayed on the A1 for several miles, before Ken turned off to the right. A little way further, we came to a small town set near some cliffs, Ken navigating from memory and skilfully manoeuvring the van and trailer through cramped streets. We parked on the street, which was a miracle in itself, and the three of us walked round the corner to a shop, whose sign confused me. Embarrassingly, I had to ask.

“What’s ‘oxleys’, Ken?”

“Beg pardon? Oh! That’s not ‘Fish, oxleys, chips’, Deb. It should be ‘Oxley’s fish and chips’. Duncan Oxley and his family own it. Do you like fish?”

“Not had it much”

“This place, it’s locally caught. Fresh as can be, duck. Loz?”

“Yeah?”

“You hungry enough to split Deb’s with me if she doesn’t like it?”

“From this place? Dead bloody right I am! Let’s see what they’ve got”

There was a short queue, but we were soon at the till, where a fat man in a long white overall and an odd net-topped trilby hat beamed in recognition.

“Hiya you two! Staying or passing through?”

Lorraine was chirpy, but I noticed her eyes were away from his face and looking at the display of cooked food.

“Passing through this time, Duncan, but we couldn’t not stop, could we? What’s fresh?”

“Oh, got some lovely haddock in, plus some really lovely skate. Who’s this with you?”

“This is Debbie, our daughter. First time in Scotland. Not really had proper fresh fish before, have you, love?”

I shook my head, the smell of the vinegar and fried food making my stomach rumble. Duncan grinned, his eyes almost disappearing.

“Then let me really recommend the skate. One wing should do. What would you two like?”

“Oh, skate for me as well, Duncan. Ken? Haddock? Yes? And a haddock for him, please”

“Chips with all three?”

“Is the Pope a Catholic? Small portion for Deb, but me and him will pig out”

That word set me laughing again, and Duncan’s eyes disappeared once again as he smiled.

“She’s a happy wee lassie, I see. I’ll do you a bottle of pop as well, for her smile, aye?”

It wasn’t that far to a little harbour, gulls yelling as small fishing boats unloaded, and there was a bench with enough room for three. Steaming vinegar-soaked parcels of food, and a large glass bottle of dandelion and burdock that we passed around, all of us drinking directly from it. The skate was a delight, tasty flesh wrapped around a collection of ribs that felt like plastic. It melted in my mouth, and I couldn’t decide whether to save some of the fish or a few chips for my very last mouthful.

Sod letting the two of them have it!

We sat silent for half an hour, but not in silence, as the screaming from the birds was incessant. Eventually, though, we made our way back to the van, three abreast and all of us hand-in-hand. Conversation flagged as we drove on, but that wasn’t a worry, as Lorraine had picked out some more cassettes that took my musical education on some new routes. Edinburgh was also bypassed, but only so that I could see something I had heard so much about, but never dreamt I would see in real life: the Forth Bridge.

We crossed the Forth on the much newer road bridge, the music off so that Ken could deliver a long and involved lecture on the engineering principles involved, but I was lost in the view. I couldn’t tell which bits were ‘cantilever’, which ‘box girder’, which ‘suspension’. I just knew they were all beautiful.

We stopped in a small town near Dunfermline, Ken explaining how the local naval base delivered a clientele of a particular kind.

“We don’t need the jumbo skins for this one, duck, but they buy blobs like they’re going out of fashion”

I found out what he meant the next day, in the semi-permanent marketplace we set up in, as a steady flow of young men with very neat haircuts topped up our cash box and left with boxes marked ‘Durex’. The only words that came to mind as I watched the trade were “Hello, sailor!”

The next morning was a Friday, and our destination was another MCC rally, in a field behind a pub near Dunblane. It went just as I now expected, being such a hard-core veteran of the rally scene. Having someone like Sam and Rosie there would have been better, but I was slowly learning to decode the local accent, but a pair of sunglasses were still a pair of sunglasses, and fingerless leather mitts remained fingerless leather mitts. There was a hog roast, involving a whole pig on a spit over an open fire, but Lorraine warned me not to try any.

“They are already pissed, love, and that is a really shit way to cook a curly-tail. You will either get it burnt or nearly raw, and THAT will get you scratching your bum”

“Why my bum?”

“Well, there’s lots of things you can pick up from eating raw pork, and several of them are worms. I had to deal with a couple of tapeworms when we were in Germany, and digging through someone else’s poo trying to find the thing’s head is not something I enjoyed. Anyway, they are doing haggis as well, and that’s from sheep. So think about something more important, love”

“Such as?”

“We dancing tonight?”

“Is the Pope a Catholic?”

That got me a hug, something I never tired of, and when the weather broke on the Saturday afternoon, which sold us out of packable rain capes, Ken declared that we could close early. One large sign was left on the empty stand: ‘You know where we are. Want/need anything, come and find us. Ken, Loz, Debbie’

We did dance, something I was getting to love more and more with each opportunity I was given. It was all-involving, all girl, all me. I put my head back and my arms up, and Lorraine and I rocked out to a disco as well as a half decent live rhythm and blues band. The rain stopped several times, but the patter on our roof lulled me to sleep in my safe space.

Sunday morning dawned brilliantly clear and sunny, which allowed me to see the mountains rising before us. Ken caught my gaze.

“Not this time, duck. Can’t really take the old bus through there with the trailer. South for us, this time, but we’ll be back. What do you think? Take a month off some day, go off into the mountains, just the three of us?”

That brought on the tears I had done my best to hide from Don and his friends, which brought Lorraine running, but I managed to explain how I felt, what it meant.

Safe space. Ours.

We packed up after I had washed my face, and then we were off on that road to the South and away from the hills I so longed to see in close-up. We only drove around a mile before Ken pulled up, outside a newsagent’s shop. Lorraine and I sat waiting for nearly twenty minutes before she said “Wait here, love” and disappeared into the shop.

Ten more minutes went by before they were both back in the Commer, Ken holding a copy of a very familiar newspaper. He looked hard at Lorraine, who simply nodded, at which he handed me the News of the World. The front page headline was stark:

‘HELL HOUSE PAIR DEAD’

I skimmed the article, then read it again, and once more, but there was nothing there to answer my question.

John and Marie Parsons had killed themselves, it seemed.

Where were Charlie and Don?

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Castle dichotomy

When I read "the trip broken by visits to a couple of castles, one romantically ruined and the other huge and imposing" my first thought was, 'Oh, I thought they'd left Wales.' When I was in Wales, I spent some time castle visiting. For the most part, they were split into those two categories. Huge imposing things that had been largely maintained/restored, with large car parks and tea shops for the tourists to admire the marvel. Or, leave a pound coin in a box on the farmhouse steps, and trudge across a sheep field to find some stone ruins in an overgrown copse of trees. Both were fascinating in their own right, as was the fact that every one of the fancy imposing castles were English, while the neglected ruins were Welsh. Seems like some people wanted to continue Edward I's work.

not sure

Maddy Bell's picture

which ruin is implied but the imposing pile would be Bamburgh (you can actually rent apartments in it these days). I passed a castle in England today, a few trees on the remains of the Motte and ditch without so much as a board to name it - its best part of a thousand years old, built by the furren invaders to keep tabs on the locals. Sometimes its the ruins which speak about the history more than the pampered piles that look so - Disney!

Its worth pointing out that going south doesn't mean that its flat, the Borders can be as wild and remote as further north if not quite as high, I've had a few trips climbing those hills in search of archaeology over the years. Indeed the Romans thought them too wild to be worth subjugating - this is the lot who controlled the Alps and most of the Mediterranean!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Castle Mounds

I met my lovely wife while bicycling through the English countryside many years ago with an Ordnance Survey map in the clear top pocket of my handlebar bag. I went around and around this little village looking for the clearly marked "Castle" to no avail. It was fairly early in the day and no one was around, except a woman on a bicycle who I later learned was also a visitor, although not from as far as I was. She lived a few handfuls of miles away, while I lived a few thousand, but she had never heard of it, so was keen to help me find that castle. She also had a little better sense of what we would be looking for and a little while later, after consulting the map carefully, brought me to the foot of the site, little more than a mound of earth. The stones had been carted away centuries prior by the villagers to build their houses and fence their fields.

We spent the rest of the day sight-seeing together, stayed in touch, visited each other several times on either side of The Pond, and a couple years later, tied the knot. In retrospect, I have quite a warm spot in my heart for that "castle."

there's

Maddy Bell's picture

A pretty good chance there never were any 'stones'! Many hundreds of castles never got beyond timber construction which of course rots and leaves just the earthworks.
Being an archaeologist by degree (Bsc Hons), i'm cursed to spot such things in the landscape - castles are relatively easy but i'm a dab hand at villages, burial mounds and trackways too! Castles usually only got upgraded to stone in areas of perceived insurection or in regional centres as a base for the ruling classes.

The long distance cycle route in Northumberland is actually called Coast and Castles if you want to look for it.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Coast and Castles

Realised after I had posted! There are many more, as well as pele towers, in the area. Alnwick and Warkworth, to name but two.

I am always torn between the coast and the inland moors, e.g. around Elsdon, for their beauty. Northumberland is a beautiful place, which is why the suggestions that Druridge Bay be provided with a nuclear power station, and the remote Cheviot mountain with a nuclear waste dump. didn't sit well with me.

Charlie and Don

good question. will she find out?

DogSig.png

not

Maddy Bell's picture

For a few years yet!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

The Only Way

joannebarbarella's picture

To really enjoy fish and chips was out of newspaper (preferably The News Of The Screws as it was not fit to read) smothered with vinegar and salt with fish as fresh as. When I was a child in the nineteen forties and early fifties we had fish'n'chips for dinner at least once a week because it was cheap and not subject to rationing like most meats.
Newspaper is not allowed these days as the Health and Safety wowsers deemed it unsanitary.

In Australia "Durex" was a leading brand of Scotch tape or Sellotape. A favourite trick played on green young Aussies newly arrived in England was to ask them to pop into Boots The Chemist and pick up some Durex, Durex being a condom in the UK and Boots being a Catholic-owned chain of pharmacies which of course did not stock such vile sexual appurtenances.

Is Deb still being sought?

Jamie Lee's picture

So far no one has come nosing around looking for a runaway boy. Now that the Parsons are dead, and testimony about the hell they put the kids through is no longer necessary, are they still looking for a runaway boy? Nothing was said about the third member of that hell hole, so maybe Deb isn't completely safe yet?

One thing is for sure, if anyone comes looking for Deb, Ken and Loz will do their best to keep Deb safe.

Others have feelings too.

Pig Roast

"You will either get it burnt or nearly raw . . . ." The restaurant I worked at used to do a pig roast at a nearby lake every year. It was a sort of an employee reunion, lasting from Friday morning to late Sunday night. We did two goats and one pig every year, on spits over an open fire. I'm here to tell you, if you are getting it burned or raw then your cook doesn't know what they are doing. I never once saw a burned pig and the frequent use of meat thermometers insured the meat was properly cooked.

BTW: goat cooked on a spit is d***ed delicious!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

And there you have it!

I remember two different pig roasts at MCC rallies, one of which was done by a proper cook, and it was delightful. That was at the 'Trot in the Bog' near Weston Super Mare.

The other one was "cooked" by the various people standing around, who were mainly well-refreshed and evincing far too much enthusiasm for a number of activities, such as overloading the fire with fuel and slicing off meat that hadn't finished cooking. That was at a rally near Dungeness in Kent. Waste of good pork, that one.